Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I think LOT will be like a movie series that has continued themes and characters but deaths will occur and others will be lost in time. This season is like Oceans 11 in time&space. Next season can be more like a western or a horror show or it could be Oceans 12. A different theme with some (or even more than some who knows yet). They want on the table anything can happen.

I'm looking at it more like Doctor who than Arrow or the Flash. The Doctor stays but he changes and the Companions change so for the viewers change is always out there looking over your shoulder.

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm more excited about this show then I was about Arrow and The Flash.

Doubtful.. however as an Israeli I can't help but feel a strong sense of national pride that it is possible (though probably not true) that DC comics two biggest female heroines will be portrayed by Israeli's.

Whether she can do the part justice is a different matter.

It be insane! though i was a bit (alot) older, i strongly remember her from a children show that used to (still does? I have no idea) air on our nickelodeon channel equivalent. I can't remember any other work she has done, besides Veronica Mars and Cane and i have very little to zero recollection of her characters from those shows, so I don't know how she may have grown as an actor since than.

I enjoyed her on Veronica Mars and on Supernatural. I cried more at Jo and Ellen's death than I ever did at one of the brothers. Jo had so much potential. I remember getting annoyed when people said Tal couldn't handle a gun. She was in the Israeli Army. 

• Love 1

They never said why she's called Black Canary or indicated that she was going by that name on the show before then, so until they say something else that is what we have to go by.

They gave us a bunch of reasons why Sara choose her name and none for Laurel. Then there is also the fact that black is the color of the outfit that they both were wearing. Canary in black, black Canary same thing. Plus I also see BC going by Canary even in the comics. 

They skipped over a lot of things in Season 3. And of course Black Canary goes by Canary for short in the comics, she took up her mothers mantle and there isn't someone going by The Canary running around. The only thing the writers did now is the possibility of causing confusion if they call Laurel, Canary for short as they did in the S4 premiere.  

Didn't Diggle call Laurel Canary in 401? So it's not like Black Canary vs Canary stuff means anything in the show. Except to me cause I'm mean. I see the two names as a pretty good summary of their respective hero's journeys. Sara had the canary as a pet, saw a canary on floating wreckage of the Queen's Gambit, got the name Ta-er al-Safar as part of the League. Lance calls Laurel the Black Canary as a mean joke.

They could have done all this in a way that worked for Laurel but they didn't. The moment Sara fell from that rooftop with 3 arrows in her it went from "Sara is the better Canary" to "they killed the better Canary so she could be replaced by a barely trained lawyer." They brought it on themselves. 

Edited by hogwash
  • Love 15

Isn't Ravager a villain though?  They came down on the Sara being a hero side though. There must have been some DC character they could have named her after.  shakes head in disbelief at the shortsightedness of it.

Suppose to be a villain, but Doctor Light is also a hero in the comics and was made into a thief/villain on The Flash. So they could've changed the interpretation if they wanted.

• Love 1

Didn't Diggle call Laurel Canary in 401? So it's not like Black Canary vs Canary stuff means anything in the show. Except to me cause I'm mean. I see the two names as a pretty good summary of their respective hero's journeys. Sara had the canary as a pet, saw a canary on floating wreckage of the Queen's Gambit, got the name Ta-er al-Safar as part of the League. Lance calls Laurel the Black Canary as a mean joke.

They could have done all this in a way that worked for Laurel but they didn't. The moment Sara fell from that rooftop with 3 arrows in her it went from "Sara is the better Canary" to "they killed the better Canary so she could be replaced by a barely trained lawyer." They brought it on themselves. 

Hey now! Laurel wore fishnets once. That's like Black Canary destiny.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 7

Hey now! Laurel wore fishnets once. That's like Black Canary destiny.

And she can't cook. She has the two most important parts of the Black Canary legacy.

I'm surprised they didn't reveal that Sara, like Oliver is an excellent chef. That way we can see "she's not BC, she knows how to cook!"

Edited by Sakura12

I hope we get at least one more female hero on LoT by season two.  I don't mind cast changes as long as they keep Rip (because he makes sense and I can already tell I'm going to love him), Stein, and Sara.  I will probably want Ray to stick around as well and Cold and Hawkgirl lol. Ok so my disposable characters to date appear to be Heatwave and Hawkman.

• Love 2

I'm kind of think that Cold and Heatwave may get stuck in time for a bit so they can film the Prison Break reboot. Then maybe come back after that.

Wait, what Prison Break reboot?

Nevermind, just googled it. Fox must be totally out of ideas for shows.

Edited by lemotomato

That sounds like a lot of fun. I'm more excited about this show then I was about Arrow and The Flash.

I enjoyed her on Veronica Mars and on Supernatural. I cried more at Jo and Ellen's death than I ever did at one of the brothers. Jo had so much potential. I remember getting annoyed when people said Tal couldn't handle a gun. She was in the Israeli Army

About that, while most Israelis do serve in the Israeli army and are taught how to fire an M-16 rifle (and other types depending on their position- although M-16 is the most commonly used), in reality most Israelis don't actually carry a gun during our military service, let alone fire one. I think I only fired a gun a few times during bootcamp, and once or twice again within a year and half time period to update that I remember how to use one. once we finish the army most Israelis will never hold, let alone fire, a gun ever again. So I can buy that she may not remember how to hold a gun, since she probably only ever held a rifle.

a quick google search brought up that she served in the IDF theater (incredibly prestigious extremely hard to be accepted to!!), I don't know what sort of bootcamp she did but it had to have been a short one (maybe a month, tops- since my own was about the same length and I was a mere secretary), since she had a background of theater from high school (having attended a very prestigious performing arts high-school)- which is probably why she was accepted to the idf theater.

Personally I know how to fire a gun, but it doesn't mean I remember how to properly hold it, or that I'm a good shot. -- In reality I do know how to fire and properly hold an M-16 and a hand gun (I also remember how to dismantle and reassemble an M-16), my aim was always a bit off though. Yea i'm totally showing off right now :-P

Edited by foreverevolving
  • Love 2

Of course not this season because this season is supposed to be #Yearofdiggle...

But if you look at seasons 1-3 it tells a different story.

Season 1: had more Laurel. Makes sense. She had her own arc and everything. Felicity and Diggle had less screen time and less development.

Season 2: Laurel had an individual arc and a Lance family arc that had little impact to the story and actually made her character hated throughout the fandom. Said screen time could've been given to Diggle/Felicity to expand their characters. I think Laurel/Lance family drama had more screentime than Diggle/Felicity in S2.

Season 3: Laurel had her individual arc that was ridiculously rushed. She had 3 episodes dedicated to her and during htis time Diggle was sidelined. She also had a fair bit of screentime in the first half of the season. Felicity was stuck on Palmer Island so I don't blame her lack of character development on the Lance family, I blame it on the Spinoff. But Diggle was most definitely affected in terms of screentime considering Laurel essentially replaced him on the field for a lot of episodes.

Basically every season had an arc just for the Lances when said arcs just made the Lances look like idiots/fools/shitty people. I wouldn't have minded if said arcs developed said characters but they never did. It just took away from the story and took away screen time from characters who actually deserved development.

But that's just my opinion.

This so much. I'm so sick of this Lance family drama. They've had more family time/drama together than the main character's own family had on the show.
  • Love 3

Right - that's what I said. There's going to be more change than the other two shows, but it's not going to be a full dump and start over each season. Which is what I think of when I think anthology.

What stood out to me was a comment from MG saying they were writing LoT as if there was no second season and from that standpoint, it opened up storylines and risks they could see through since they weren't worried about having to reset to normal when/if there was a second season.  So flying without a net. 

• Love 2

What stood out to me was a comment from MG saying they were writing LoT as if there was no second season and from that standpoint, it opened up storylines and risks they could see through since they weren't worried about having to reset to normal when/if there was a second season.  So flying without a net. 

I hope that's true. If it is true, I think that's great. My fear is if they do get a second season, and they kill characters off, we'll end up with something like the mess they made with Sara. I'll remain cautiously optimistic.  

• Love 2

And she can't cook. She has the two most important parts of the Black Canary legacy.

I'm surprised they didn't reveal that Sara, like Oliver is an excellent chef. That way we can see "she's not BC, she knows how to cook!"

So FS is really only a few fishnets away from being in the running for Black Canary? She can't cook. She's worn a black leather jacket. Her shirt in the ying/yang kiss looked just like the current BC undershirt. And she's had a few boxing lessons, including one from the original Canary.

Somebody get FS some fishnets STAT and let's make this an interesting battle....

Here's my crazy speculation of the week - Earth 2's BC is gonna be revealed as the E2 FS.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 5

I am one that would've loved to see Sara and Slade working together. And if we go by Manu who thought Slade loved Sara then we could've gotten them as lovers as well. That would've really messed with Oliver. Having two of his former friends who he thought were dead being together and trying to destroy him.

Sara and Slade going against Oliver could have been amazing, but I'm not really sure where Manu got that Slade loved Sara from. Shado was killed pretty much as soon as Sara joined the island trio and after that Slade was raging and plotting revenge. Doesn't really seem conducive to him developing warm feeling for her.
  • Love 2

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad... Because RP caused a world of suckage in s3 on ARROW, that made me really hate him & the show. But his spin-off and character launch crashed & burned so spectacularly that we got LoT. So I guess we won out in the end... however why did we have to suffer through all that crap in s3? 

And don't even get me started on why they had to kill SL, if they could have just had her go off to spin-off... I could have been spared the angst of s3 & the stupid of her resurrection.

• Love 1

I'm really disappointed at which Canary had ended up on which show but for opposing reasons than most.

I can't stand Sara, whiny spoilt brat who basically landed in the shit when she thought it was okay to sleep with her sister's dirtbag boyfriend. Then played the tortured soul angle and jumped back into bed with her sisters' now dirtbag ex-boyfriend. She basically the writer's fantasy of a women who'll fuck whoever wherever. And I hate they whitewashed White Canary (and Sin) for her. Also Caity Lotz seems a nice women but she's not the brightest.

I do love Laurel, she's smart, she's badass as a superhero or in her day job. And when shit gets rough, she pulls herself together, despite a horrible disease and get on with it and she doesn't need a man to help her do it. Also I happen to think Katie Cassidy is the better actress of the two.

The problem with this is I refuse to watch Arrow. The lead is vile on and off screen, they've destroyed Felicity and turned into some rich dude's sex toy. The only decent characters left are Diggle, Laurel and Thea.

I'm looking forward to Legends of Tomorrow but Sara is the one thing that puts me off. I'd love her and Laurel to swap places.

Looking at a Sara gif set of fight scenes from the new trailer, that woman is amazing. I think all of us who have been wanting more hand to hand focused fight scenes are going to have to get them on LOT.

That sparing scene with Laurel. You can clearly see its KC stunt double. It looks like they are filming it the same way they filming Thea when she sparred with Oliver. I wonder way they don't get KC and WH some type of fight training to make those transitions easier.

• Love 2

I think they will fly with a tiny bit of a net because I think that Sara and probably even Hawkgirl are off limits for killing.  I think they will also want to keep characters who have history on Flash and Arrow - like Stein, Cold, and even Ray around because if they kill them, they can't bring them back as guest stars.  But not killing them doesn't mean they'll be back for season two or even as regulars (that lost in time line has an interesting ring to it).  So while I don't think "every character is disposable" - I do believe there are characters they will want to keep around for the Flarrowverse in general.

I think there's a world of options for getting rid of people in a show like LoT that don't involve death, and will make them available for other appearances if necessary. At least one person is going to choose to stick around in whatever point in time they stop at for some reason. Makes them disappear so there's room for a new person, and they're always available to show up at some other point if/when needed.

• Love 6

I don't know whether I should be happy or sad... Because RP caused a world of suckage in s3 on ARROW, that made me really hate him & the show. But his spin-off and character launch crashed & burned so spectacularly that we got LoT. So I guess we won out in the end... however why did we have to suffer through all that crap in s3? 

And don't even get me started on why they had to kill SL, if they could have just had her go off to spin-off... I could have been spared the angst of s3 & the stupid of her resurrection.

See I have to admit that I think the suckage of season three really came from a) killing off Sara, b) Malcolm mind-raping Thea to do it, c) the introduction of the lamest Ra's ever (who doesn't hold a candle to his awesome daughter), and the incredibly stupid plot to make Oliver join the LoA.

To me, Ray was pretty low in the sucking the fun and joy out of season three list.  I mean Laurel lying to her Dad about Sara's death and the lame ass way she became BC rank higher as far as I'm concerned (and I really, really want to like Laurel as BC).

What I remain grateful for is that somehow the show runners seem to have repaired a lot of what was wrong with season three - from writing Oliver and Felicity as a solid couple to making Ray the character he always should have been. 

• Love 4

Fight training is not easy to learn and they don't have a lot of time to practice before filming. CL and SA said for most of the fight scenes they learn the choreography right before they start filming with an occasional run through maybe the week before. If they can't pick it up they don't have time for them to learn. It's probably easier for CL to remember steps since she danced professionally. She danced for Lady Gaga, anyone that can dance in those 7 inch heels can probably learn any type of steps. 

• Love 1
To me, Ray was pretty low in the sucking the fun and joy out of season three list. 

I've mentioned it in detail last week in the spoiler thread, but the ways Palmer disrupted the season were more behind the scenes than not --

- They were banking on Brandon Routh to have name and charisma for the audience to instantly think of Palmer as beloved. It didn't happen.

-  Brandon Routh ate too much of the casting budget, which ended up giving us Low Budget Ra's because there was no money for a name/better actor.

- Palmer was the love story cockblocker for way longer than necessary because fabrication of the ATOM suit took much longer than planned. Without the suit operational, storylines had to be stretched, all he had was cockblocking duty. Which made audiences reject him even more.

• Love 11

Fight training is not easy to learn and they don't have a lot of time to practice before filming. CL and SA said for most of the fight scenes they learn the choreography right before they start filming with an occasional run through maybe the week before. If they can't pick it up they don't have time for them to learn. It's probably easier for CL to remember steps since she danced professionally. She danced for Lady Gaga, anyone that can dance in those 7 inch heels can probably learn any type of steps. 

It's not but, KC doesn't film everyday. When you want to make something believable you train your ass off!

Is this confirmed? As soon as I saw your post I thought of Stein.

It's a guess based on the show runner saying that some of them might get stuck in different periods of time. Some would be accidental, probably, but it seems like they'd have at least one person choose to stay somewhere.

• Love 1

I'm not watching LoT (because of my resentment of Ray Palmer and annoyance with the use of Arrow as a spin-off launching pad), but I'm curious to find out who the stand-outs among the cast will be.  I feel like Sara will be the most popular, by far (just my opinion).  With as much time and money that was spent trying to make Ray Palmer happen, I'm sure that the EPs are hoping he's a hit, but I've never seen a ton of enthusiasm for the guy.  IF Sara is the most popular, I wouldn't be surprised if they try to pair her with Ray romantically in hopes that some of her popularity will rub off on him.  I mean, that's exactly what they did with Felicity/Ray, so...  

• Love 5

See I have to admit that I think the suckage of season three really came from a) killing off Sara, b) Malcolm mind-raping Thea to do it, c) the introduction of the lamest Ra's ever (who doesn't hold a candle to his awesome daughter), and the incredibly stupid plot to make Oliver join the LoA.

To me, Ray was pretty low in the sucking the fun and joy out of season three list.  I mean Laurel lying to her Dad about Sara's death and the lame ass way she became BC rank higher as far as I'm concerned (and I really, really want to like Laurel as BC).

What I remain grateful for is that somehow the show runners seem to have repaired a lot of what was wrong with season three - from writing Oliver and Felicity as a solid couple to making Ray the character he always should have been. 

There was a multitude of suckage in s3, you'll get no argument from me on that. However, SL, MM & Ras plots i think would have been different if RP and the idea of his spin-off never existed.

-Sara was always going to be killed, but if they had wanted to spin her off initially, they could have just had her go away, be kidnapped or presumed dead.

-MM was always going to need a plot, and I actually think his plot changed as a result of the spin-off. He I think was destined for a more adversarial role.

-Ras was what he was, I didn't mind the actor in some parts. But his plot was I think also mangled because of the spin-off. Midway through s3 when they started discussing a Team-up Spin-off. There is a distinctive change in how they wrote the Ras arc. That to me is not coincidental.

However, the sole purpose of RP was a spin-off. Without Berlanti & crew wanting to spin RP off, we might have gotten a completely different destination than Palmer Island. There might have been different angst. But the love triangle, would have played out differently. Because he was solely for a spinoff & they paid A LOT of money for his suit, is why I consider his failure on ARROW to be the most annoying when I think about how it got us LoT. I don't know whether to be grateful or not. Because if they had done a better job, we might have been getting the ATOM instead, which honestly sounds like a dud of a show. But if they had just been less greedy or thought more about a spin-off before saddling ARROW w/ RP - we might have gotten a better s3.

• Love 1

It's not but, KC doesn't film everyday. When you want to make something believable you train your ass off!

KC's always talking about how much time she spends in the gym and posting selfies of her lifting weights. which is fine, but that kind of training doesn't help her with what seems to be the real issue-- she can't convincingly "fake fight" like SA, DR, and CL can. She'd be better off taking a martial arts class

• Love 5

KC's always talking about how much time she spends in the gym and posting selfies of her lifting weights. which is fine, but that kind of training doesn't help her with what seems to be the real issue-- she can't convincingly "fake fight" like SA, DR, and CL can. She'd be better off taking a martial arts class

According to KC she took fight training  (for actors) and Tonfa training over the summer, she even posted pictures of herself playing with the Tonfa.  As to why she's not performing her own stunts even after training?  I go back to the Late, Great Kim Manners - She's horribly uncoordinated.  She probably needs way more time then the stunt people can give her to learn the moves.

• Love 3

It probably comes down to what they let her do. They wanted to use a stunt double for her big boxing scene Ted but KC wanted to do it all herself and it turned out fine. But it depends on how much time they want to use and using stunt doubles is a lot quicker for them, so i don't think it has that much to do with her ability to perform as it does time crunching.

This year the show has been on fastfoward with trying to fit everyone into the schedules needed to crossover all the time.

I don't think any actor ever needs fight training if they can't or don't want to do it. It's much more of a hindrance to depend on an untrained actor, than to replace that actor with the double altogether.

The problem imo is that the stunt team has to figure out how to do transitions better [they've been sucking this season, Stephen and his double included]. And more importantly, how to make sure the stunt doubles' faces ARE NOT SHOWN, EVER [which is something that has been a disaster on Arrow since Ra's atop that mountain].

The problem with Lolololaurel in this regard is she's the only vigilante of all of them whose face and hair are clear as day for everyone ever to see and recognize her, and so her stunt double is more visible than anyone else because everyone else is under a hood or a mask, which makes things easier for both transitions and not showing stunt people's faces. But that's not a stunt team problem, it's a That's So Laurel sitcom problem.

• Love 13

Not having stunt doubles being shown is unrealistic imo. It happens in just about every show that has action. They don't have the budget or time to put the actors faces on their doubles like they do in the movies.

It may be easier to hide the others faces but to me it is extremely noticeable that Theas hood magically covers her entire face while fighting but retracts to show her face when it's Willa.

Edited by Primal Slayer

All i am gonna say about LOT trailer is that Sara and Laurel are lucky that Felicity didnt catch them training in her area in the arrow cave 3.0

Yeah what was that? :( You're telling me this new hideout doesn't have a sparring area that isn't right next to the expensive computer equipment?

• Love 3

They do have a sparring area. Oliver and Thea used it in 4x05.

I don't know why they are on The Bridge. Guess they thought it made for a cooler shot. Or Felicity is also making a cameo and she is going to use her loud voice on them. I'm going with cooler shot though.

• Love 3

All i am gonna say about LOT trailer is that Sara and Laurel are lucky that Felicity didnt catch them training in her area in the arrow cave 3.0

Yeah i found that weird. They have a training area in there. But i guess the computer area lookd better aesthetically.

Imo.. The problem with Laurel is that KC is very upright and a bit rigid (not really an insult more ballet trained) and her double moves so different. You can just see the difference in the movement. They need to move the same.

There was a multitude of suckage in s3, you'll get no argument from me on that. However, SL, MM & Ras plots i think would have been different if RP and the idea of his spin-off never existed.

-Sara was always going to be killed, but if they had wanted to spin her off initially, they could have just had her go away, be kidnapped or presumed dead.

-MM was always going to need a plot, and I actually think his plot changed as a result of the spin-off. He I think was destined for a more adversarial role.

-Ras was what he was, I didn't mind the actor in some parts. But his plot was I think also mangled because of the spin-off. Midway through s3 when they started discussing a Team-up Spin-off. There is a distinctive change in how they wrote the Ras arc. That to me is not coincidental.

However, the sole purpose of RP was a spin-off. Without Berlanti & crew wanting to spin RP off, we might have gotten a completely different destination than Palmer Island. There might have been different angst. But the love triangle, would have played out differently. Because he was solely for a spinoff & they paid A LOT of money for his suit, is why I consider his failure on ARROW to be the most annoying when I think about how it got us LoT. I don't know whether to be grateful or not. Because if they had done a better job, we might have been getting the ATOM instead, which honestly sounds like a dud of a show. But if they had just been less greedy or thought more about a spin-off before saddling ARROW w/ RP - we might have gotten a better s3.

I guess the money issue of the suit could have caused behind the scene issues, but I think the decision to kill Sara and use that as a catalyst for Laurel becoming BC was probably the worse decision the show runners have ever made (perhaps even worse than thinking they could have Oliver cheat on Laurel with her sister in the pilot and ever have her be a LI for Oliver. I don't care how good the chemistry was - I would have hated them as a ship for that reason alone).

Honestly, other than budget and casting issues - I don't see how leaving Ray out would have changed much of the plot that I didn't like.  I don't actually see the change in Ra's that others do. Maybe I would if I went back and rewatched, but there is no way I'm doing that lol.  And I'm not sure the problems with Ra's are Matt Noble's fault - I'm pretty sure it was just the writing.

It seems to me that without Ray much of the season would have gone the same way, but maybe Roy would have gotten some more attention and perhaps they would have done that Huntress story MG's says he wanted to do.  So while maybe without Ray - things would have been a little better - I still think much of the suck would have still been there.

Not having stunt doubles being shown is unrealistic imo. It happens in just about every show that has action. They don't have the budget or time to put the actors faces on their doubles like they do in the movies.

It wasn't a problem in seasons 1-2. Not noticeably, at least. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 18

With the stunts it is a time management issue, they don't have time to train the actor, if they can't pick it up quickly they can't do it. SA trained with Bam Bam before Arrow started to learn so that helped him. CL said there were time that they learned the choreography right before they filmed it. She'd be taught it on the side then have to go out there and do it and that would be it. CL having stunt training, martial arts training and dance training would make it easier to pick up choreography much quicker than others. Bam Bam even told CL that if she wasn't an actress he would've taken her on his team. That's why she gets to do her most of her stunts and it looks like even more so on LoT. All of those quick shots we could see her face. 

• Love 1
I don't think any actor ever needs fight training if they can't or don't want to do it. It's much more of a hindrance to depend on an untrained actor, than to replace that actor with the double altogether.

To be honest, that's not my problem. I know neither CH nor WH did their own stunts, they were very blatant and upfront about it.  I don't care if an actor does or doesn't do their own stunts.  What bugs me and why I single Laurel/KC out is because unlike the other actors who blatantly admit they don't do stunts, KC tries to pretend she does way more than she actually does.  That's why I point it out and mock it.  If she was just honest like Colton and said she's really not good at that stuff so Atlin does all/most of the stunts I'd be OK with it.  Instead KC tries to come off as if she's does as much as CL and/or SA and that's just such a blatant fabrication that it annoys me. 

• Love 19

To be honest, that's not my problem. I know neither CH nor WH did their own stunts, they were very blatant and upfront about it.  I don't care if an actor does or doesn't do their own stunts.  What bugs me and why I single Laurel/KC out is because unlike the other actors who blatantly admit they don't do stunts, KC tries to pretend she does way more than she actually does.  That's why I point it out and mock it.  If she was just honest like Colton and said she's really not good at that stuff so Atlin does all/most of the stunts I'd be OK with it.  Instead KC tries to come off as if she's does as much as CL and/or SA and that's just such a blatant fabrication that it annoys me. 

That bothers me too. Even CL who loves doing her own stunts says when it's the stunt double and gives them props for doing it. She came right out and said she only did two rungs on the Salmon Ladder, she wasn't going to pretend that she did them all. She's always giving shot outs to Atlin and posts pics of the two them. She's not going to take away from the hard work and effort that the stunt team does. 

• Love 1