Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Just now, scarynikki12 said:

I didn’t even notice him! Huh, then someone dropped the ball big time. 

Either this is their way of letting the audience know that Keiynan Lonsdale is not going to be a regular for season 4, or there was a major mixup behind the scenes. It's just that the season 4 press release also forgot about Wally, so it's a bit suspicious.

• Love 1
(edited)

TV Upfronts 2018 Guide: All the Fall Schedules, Trailers and Takeaways
MAY 17, 2018 11:00am PT by Bryn Elise Sandberg
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-upfronts-2018-guide-all-fall-schedules-trailers-takeaways-1112733

Of the trends that emerged this year, networks have once again returned to broad multicam comedies and procedural-style dramas (thank the runaway success of Roseanne for that.) The week also saw a few of the broadcast nets swoop in and save other networks' canceled shows: NBC picked up Brooklyn Nine-Nine after Fox canceled the cop comedy, while Tim Allen sitcom Last Man Standing jumped from ABC to Fox. And, of course, reboots, reboots, reboots.
The CW

2018-19 Schedule
Executive Talk Highlights
Upfront Presentation Takeaways

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Inside the CW's Upfront: Jared Leto in Hot Pants, a Sunday Shill and 'Riverdale' Fever
MAY 17, 2018 9:42am PT by Lacey Rose, Michael O'Connell
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/inside-cws-upfront-jared-leto-hot-pants-a-sunday-shill-riverdale-fever-1112813

"The CW is bigger and better than ever."

Those were CW president Mark Pedowitz's parting words during a clip-heavy upfront presentation that still managed to clock in at less than an hour — a marked changed from the 120-minute-plus NBCUniversal pitch-fest that kicked off the week. Pedowitz's declarative statement followed several others about the young-skewing network's strong digital footprint — "No other network uses digital and social like The CW!" — and its expansion to a sixth night of programming, with the introduction of Sunday nights come October.

The remainder of The CW's 54 minutes before the ad-buying community included cameos from the stars of mainstays Supernatural, Riverdale, Black Lightning and Arrow as well as those from its new crop (In the Dark's Perry Mattfeld) and returning favorites (Legacies' Matt Davis).

The Gimmick | "Sunday, Sunday, Sunday!" The CW doesn't often have an abundance of news, hence the forgivingly brief runtime of the network's presentation, but adding a sixth night to the schedule this coming fall gave it more than enough to talk about. It really drove the point home when buyers filed out of the venue, receiving CW-branded ice cream "Sundays" — much to the chagrin of spelling enthusiasts. Another big point of emphasis was the Arrow arrival of Batwoman, a plan for one of the network's umpteen comic book crossovers.

The Spin | The CW was multiplatform before, well, everyone else was multiplatform, and CW brass was dead-set on making that clear Thursday morning. "We introduced our convergence initiative eight years ago," said exec vp national sales Rob Tuck, adding: "We're happy that the rest of the industry is finally catching up with us." At multiple points during the presentation, network execs touted The CW's digital and social reach, using Riverdale — the most popular broadcast show on Instagram, apparently — by way of example.
WTF? Moment | Following a clip from Greg Berlanti's All American, about a South Central football wunderkind recruited to play for Beverly Hills High, castmember Taye Diggs took the mic. He noted that he'd been to a few of these upfronts in the past, but this one was different: "This is the first time I've actually been proud." The comment sent audience members to consult the web for his past credits (hint: ABC's Grey's Anatomy spinoff Private Practice and TNT's Murder in the First were among them).

Edited by tv echo

If they are testing the waters for a Batwoman spin-off next year, they are going to have to nail the casting.  Like someone said in another thread, they usually do good with casting, but when they get it wrong, it’s kind of a disaster.  And it would be nice if they would find an actress with martial arts training, like CL.    

• Love 6
(edited)

Some pics from the announcement...

Batwoman is Flying in to Arrow-verse
Melissa Kay   05/17/18
https://www.popdust.com/batwoman-coming-to-arrow-2569754595.html

The CW has just made fans' collective hearts go a-flutter over their announcement that Kate Kane/Batwoman will be joining Arrow, with speculation of more crossovers into The Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, and Supergirl in a CW crossover craze. The character she'll play on these shows is TBD, but fans of the actress are thrilled, and such a sensational crossover will make the Arrow-verse even more awesome.
980x.jpg

As Mark Pedowitz, CW president declared, "This is the first time ever that she will make a live action appearance on any screen and will be fighting alongside CW's heroes." And at the CW's Upfronts presentation, when Arrow actor Stephen Amell broke the big Arrow annual crossover event news, there was a telling piece of artwork which included the characters Green Arrow, Supergirl, and The Flash in Gotham City with a foreshadowing Batsignal high in the sky. Look out for this highly-anticipated Arrow crossover to come to light sometime this December. A Merry Christmas indeed!
980x.jpg

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

I hope at some point, the Legends get to meet a unicorn, and its voiced by SA. Because why not?

That actually sounds like a cool idea for a season, and I think like when people can combine magic and mythical stuff with science and stuff like robots and time travel. It can be the fun genre mash up that Once Upon a Time promised to be...and then wasn't. 

• Love 7

I’ve seen some people suggest Bridget Regan for Batwoman.  What do you all think about that?  I have always really liked her, but I’m afraid the CW might think she’s too old to lead a show (she’s 36).

• Love 2
(edited)
4 hours ago, tv echo said:

Next Arrowverse Crossover to Include Batwoman, Add the City of Gotham
By Matt Webb Mitovich / May 17 2018, 8:57 AM PDT
http://tvline.com/2018/05/17/arrow-flash-supergirl-legends-crossover-2018-batwoman-gotham/

That's sort of weird phrasing from Amell, but maybe it just means this crossover is more contained. If it is The Flash's 100th that week, I still don't buy that they won't let it have its own celebration somehow.

Since it's the last show in the lineup this time, maybe some Flash characters will be on the other shows first, but most of the crossover plot will be Arrow focused and happen on the first three shows on Sunday and Monday- then by Tuesday they'll let The Flash have its own thing more or less (like Arrow did for its 100th).

Edited by ruby24
(edited)

I’ve been reading up on Kate Kane.  I didn’t know much about her before.  Not that the TV show has to comply with the comics obviously, but the DC Wiki has her at 5’11”.  So, at least in the comics, she’s not a small woman.  Think more Rebecca Romijn (Colonel Baird in The Librarians) than Caity Lotz, I guess.  

I mean, not that I’m suggesting her height is her defining characteristic.  *shrug* I’m just kind of thinking out loud.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 minutes ago, Chaser said:

Adrianne Palicki?

That would be awesome, but isn’t she on The Orville?  

I loved her on AoS too - I quit watching when she left.

Edited by Starfish35
8 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

I wonder if they are introducing Batwoman so if this is Arrows last season they can spin her and Dinah off into a Birds of Prey show.

I'm still hopeful for a Birds of Prey spinoff (or something similar with female leads, if they can't use "BoP"); but I the key piece of info is the introduction of Gotham and its characters, and not necessarily Batwoman. Although getting a Bat-family member is pretty big too!

7 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

No, I don't see them doing a BoP series, especially not with the BoP movie having just been announced a month or so ago (even though we don't even know for sure who's in it, other than Harley Quinn and Batgirl).

Yeah, the Birds of Prey movie might be the biggest hindrance for a TV show getting made. But that's still in early development stages, who knows when it will actually be released?

Sorry, Arrow fans, but I'm a bit disappointed at Arrow again being the key to the crossover.  Not surprised, but disappointed.  I was hoping for more from the Legends side this year.   Oh well.

Do we even know what Arrow being the "key" means? I think its probably the show where we first see Gotham, or an Arrow character is the first to interact with Batwoman/Kate Kane.

47 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

That's sort of weird phrasing from Amell, but maybe it just means this crossover is more contained. If it is The Flash's 100th that week, I still don't buy that they won't let it have its own celebration somehow.

Since it's the last show in the lineup this time, maybe some Flash characters will be on the other shows first, but most of the crossover plot will be Arrow focused and happen on the first three shows on Sunday and Monday- then by Tuesday they'll let The Flash have its own thing more or less (like Arrow did for its 100th).

I don't think that the 100th celebration and the crossover have to be mutually exclusive. I don't mind the other casts being a part of it, since they're all connected.

I do like that they'll be doing a smaller (I guess?) story this year. I think there are only so many 'world-changing threats that need heroes from several cities and dimensions' stories they can do on a TV budget.

5 hours ago, tv echo said:

New Season Extended Sizzle | The CW
Published on May 17, 2018, by The CW Television Network

So. Much. Riverdale. Especially when some of the other shows only got a couple clips of the leads.

4 hours ago, Trini said:

I don't think that the 100th celebration and the crossover have to be mutually exclusive. I don't mind the other casts being a part of it, since they're all connected.

Not in theory. But a bunch of us really disliked the Arrow 100.  I think being part of the crossover contributed to it.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Gotham's finale was way better than Arrows. Really glad the show is getting another season to wrap things up. Next season is gonna be batshit and I cant wait.

Sing it! I realized this could have worked perfectly as a series finale and I like to think that plus DC pressure got it a final season. Maybe there’s a Fox exec who hates the cliffhanger ultimatum? 

THIS was a finale! I don’t care what they actually call the character, Cameron Monaghan is an OUTSTANDING Joker. Jerome was unhinged in a strangely fun way and Jeremiah is flat out scary. I never knew I needed Joker to team up with Ra’s but that unknown dream was realized beautifully. 

And the team up of Pengy, Alfred, Barbara, and Tabby! Give me all the goodies why don’t you? Then Pengy had to ruin the fun by killing Butch the second Strange fixed him to get vengeance for his mother. No one can accuse him of not knowing how to play a long con. He saved Tabby and everything! I’m also intrigued as to what Strange will do with Lee and Ed when he resurrects them. 

The epitome of the episode, and season really, was that fucking amazing montage of Gotham being carved into new territories by the rogues who remained. The Sirens, Pengy, Freeze, Firefly, Scarecrow, the GCPD, all of it was perfect. And the cuts to Bruce hunting for Jeremiah who’s vanished to become the threat in the shadows. I honestly didn’t think I could get more pumped. 

AND THEN GORDON TURNED ON THE SEARCHLIGHT AND MET WITH BRUCE ON THE ROOFTOP!!  What did I do to deserve all this joy? Tell me so I can keep doing it! 

Seriously, the anticipation of next season is going to kill me and I can’t wait. 

• Love 3

Not that I think she’s actually going to be in the running but I think the major drawback for Lyndsey would be that she always looks younger than her age. Great in real life but would probably work against her for a role like Kate. Adrienne looks youthful but has a commanding presence so she’d be more likely to get it (assuming she’ll be considered and is available). 

As long as she can act and do basic choreography I’ll be happy. The story is where my focus will be since that’s been missed more often than hit for the crossovers. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, scarynikki12 said:

Sing it! I realized this could have worked perfectly as a series finale and I like to think that plus DC pressure got it a final season. Maybe there’s a Fox exec who hates the cliffhanger ultimatum? 

THIS was a finale! I don’t care what they actually call the character, Cameron Monaghan is an OUTSTANDING Joker. Jerome was unhinged in a strangely fun way and Jeremiah is flat out scary. I never knew I needed Joker to team up with Ra’s but that unknown dream was realized beautifully. 

And the team up of Pengy, Alfred, Barbara, and Tabby! Give me all the goodies why don’t you? Then Pengy had to ruin the fun by killing Butch the second Strange fixed him to get vengeance for his mother. No one can accuse him of not knowing how to play a long con. He saved Tabby and everything! I’m also intrigued as to what Strange will do with Lee and Ed when he resurrects them. 

The epitome of the episode, and season really, was that fucking amazing montage of Gotham being carved into new territories by the rogues who remained. The Sirens, Pengy, Freeze, Firefly, Scarecrow, the GCPD, all of it was perfect. And the cuts to Bruce hunting for Jeremiah who’s vanished to become the threat in the shadows. I honestly didn’t think I could get more pumped. 

AND THEN GORDON TURNED ON THE SEARCHLIGHT AND MET WITH BRUCE ON THE ROOFTOP!!  What did I do to deserve all this joy? Tell me so I can keep doing it! 

Seriously, the anticipation of next season is going to kill me and I can’t wait. 

Yeah, Gotham was excellent.  But it's been excellent IMO for most of the season.  I love all the villains.  They are three dimensional even while awful.  And I keep being impressed by how far Bruce has come.  I'm so much more pumped about Gotham's next season than Arrow's right now.      

• Love 3
29 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It looks like Gotham is getting Lady Shiva. 

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/05/17/gotham-season-5-batman-villains-scarface-lady-shiva-ventriloquist/

Gotham is probably the best DC show at writing their villains. I actually care and like watching their journeys. Gotham has a great season and a fitting finale. I loved the final shot of Bruce and Gordon on the rooftop with a spotlight. 

That's exciting. Though bittersweet. 

(edited)

Captain Marvel to reveal Coulson's SHIELD origins, Clark Gregg says [VIDEO]
NATALIE ABRAMS May 18, 2018 at 11:00 AM EDT
http://ew.com/movies/2018/05/18/captain-marvel-clark-gregg-coulson-origins/

Though Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will sign off until summer 2019 on Friday, Marvel fans will get to see the show’s fearless leader, Clark Gregg, appear in the upcoming Captain Marvel film.

Slated to debut in March, the movie follows Carol Danvers (Brie Larson) as she becomes one of the universe’s most powerful heroes when Earth is caught in the middle of a galactic war between two alien races. Reprising their roles in the film are Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury and Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, who died in The Avengers but was resurrected for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

However, because Captain Marvel is set in the 1990s, Gregg reveals that Coulson will have only just joined the secret organization when we meet him in the film. “He’s a bit of a new guy in S.H.I.E.L.D.” Gregg says. “He’s a lot younger. It’s the earliest we will have seen him, so when he says, ‘Mr. Stark, this isn’t my first rodeo’ in Iron Man, this is maybe the rodeo he’s talking about.”

In the video above, Gregg also teases that Larson’s Captain Marvel may be stronger than any of the heroes we’ve met in the MCU so far. Plus: Could the film’s ’90s soundtrack rival Guardians of the Galaxy’s tunes?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Gotham is probably the best DC show at writing their villains. I actually care and like watching their journeys. ...

But the show is mostly about the villains and their journeys, though; so I'd expect that.

CW unrounded finals and Live+3 for last week from RJK @ SpottedRatings.com.  Also posted in the Arrow ratings thread, sorted by air date.  I've sorted by L+SD here (L+3 is mostly the same order, except for The Originals which would move two spots up).

• Flash ………………. 0.661 ……..…. 1.138
  • Supergirl………….. 0.453 …….…. 0.776
  • Supernatural …… 0.434 ……….. 0.683
  • Riverdale………….. 0.379 ……….. 0.623
  • The 100 …………… 0.353 ….……. 0.580
  • Arrow ……….……… 0.325 ……….. 0.538
  • The Originals …... 0.301 ….…….. 0.587
  • iZombie ……..……. 0.275 …..……. 0.455  
  • Dynasty …………… 0.147 …..…….. 0.233
  • Life Sentence ..…. 0.105 …….….. 0.163

Natalie and Kyle talked about Deadpool 2, Arrow, Flash and Supergirl (Natalie also geeked out about SA's Batwoman announcement at The CW upfronts)...

Entertainment Weekly's Superhero Insider
Natalie Abrams and Kyle Anderson  May 18, 2018 

‘Deadpool 2’ Eyeing Potential Friday R-Rated Record With $50M+; Catapulting Toward $130M+ Weekend

UPDATED, Friday PM: 20th Century Fox’s Deadpool 2 is on its way to potentially unseating New Line/Warner Bros.’ It for the top opening day ever for an R-rated pic with a $50M-$52M take. Thursday night’s $18.6M rep 36% of today’s estimated first day figure. It made $50.4M on its opening day (plus $13.5M previews) last September while Deadpool ranked second with a $47.3M start. Though Deadpool 2 is higher in its Friday than the first chapter, right now analysts are calling its opening at $130M+. We hear it’s more or less keeping pace with the 2016 title with both matinees and projected evenings very strong. Production cost before P&A on Deadpool 2 is a reported $110M.

• Love 1
(edited)

Did Supernatural Spoil Its Surprise? Is #OneChicago Ring Cursed? Were Grey's Exits Sweet or Too Swift? And More Qs
By Vlada Gelman, Matt Webb Mitovich, Michael Ausiello, Kimberly Roots, Andy Swift, Dave Nemetz, Ryan Schwartz and Charlie Mason / May 18 2018
http://tvline.com/2018/05/18/supernatural-jensen-ackles-new-character-season-13-finale-tv-questions-answers/

13 | Is Supergirl‘s Imra — who encouraged Mon-El to follow his heart, even if it means staying in the past with Kara — the most understanding wife in television history?
15 | Was Diggle’s latest visit to The Flash wayyyyy too brief for your taste?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Superhero Insider: Relationships are tested on Arrow, Supergirl
CHANCELLOR AGARD May 18, 2018 at 03:56 PM EDT
http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/18/superhero-insider-arrow-supergirl/

This week, Supergirl introduced a rift between Supergirl and Lena, the Thinker’s Enlightenment began on The Flash, and Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) made the ultimate sacrifice in Arrow season 6 finale. Here are the highlights:
The Flash
I can never get enough of Diggle being unable to handle the effects of super speed — from the very first time his fries flew through the air in the first Arrow-Flash crossover to the team now being prepared with trashcans for his arrival during Tuesday’s hour. I was actually on set for that scene, and nearly ruined the first take stifling a laugh when Cisco grabbed a mesh trashcan. It’s also a delight when Dig gets a lighter moment, usually only afforded him outside of your typical dark Arrow episode. More please. —N.A.
Arrow
If you had asked how season 6 of Arrow was going to end, Oliver going to prison and Diaz living to fight another day (read: in season 7) wouldn’t have been at the top of my list. It’s great the show can still surprise me after six seasons. While I don’t think these twists redeem this uneven season, they do make me interested in revisiting the season when it goes up on Netflix in a few weeks, and I’m also very excited to see where the show goes in season 7. Obviously, Oliver will be back under the hood, but I’m curious as to the how it will happen, whether or not the writers can find a believable reason for it to happen, and how Oliver’s unilateral decision will affect his marriage with Felicity and his relationship with the team. (ASIDE: It must be said again, but Stephen Amell gave an amazingly moving performance in the season 6 finale. His two final scenes with Paul Blackthorne were so moving). —Chancellor Agard

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

This THR article also discussed the latest eps of Arrow, Supergirl, Gotham, and The Flash...

DC TV Watch: How 'Arrow' Said Goodbye To Quentin Lance in Season 6 Finale
MAY 19, 2018 8:15am PT by Sydney Bucksbaum
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/dc-tv-watch-arrow-paul-blackthorne-quentin-lance-dies-1113015

Caped crusader | Season six may have only just ended this week, but the Arrow-verse is already looking ahead at next season's big annual crossover event. At The CW's Upfronts presentation, Amell himself announced that Batwoman would be fighting alongside the Arrow-verse heroes from Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow in the crossover event happening in December. Her appearance comes hand-in-hand with the introduction of the city of Gotham into the CW's shared DC universe, although it will have no connection to Fox's Gotham. Casting has not been anounced yet, but seeing as how Batwoman is a big player in the comics, expect a major name to become attached to the role. Her history is perhaps the most fascinating thing about her. Introduced first in 1956 as an answer to public outcry over a comic book run suggesting that Batman and Robin were lovers, Batwoman aka Kathy Kane was a one-dimensional, sexist depiction of what a "traditional" female comic book love interest could be. Revamped in 2006 as a LGBT character, Kate Kane is now Batman's cousin instead of his marriage-obsessed love interest, and is in an on-again-off-again relationship with a woman. With such an important and meaningful background and rise to popularity, could this be The CW's next attempt at spinning off a new DC series?

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

I’m not sure this is the right place but I want to thank the CW for their excellent job with close captioning. It is always done well at least on Arrow as that’s all I’m watching on that channel now. 

I watched the Lucifer finale with CC on because I forgot to turn it off after Arrow. The only way I can explain it,is that it was the written version of mumble mouth and it made so sense whatsoever.  Granted, there were a few words here and there but they were rare. 

Thanks again CW, I would not have made it through Season 6 without CC. 

Edited by BunsenBurner
I started mumbling
  • Love 5
(edited)

I haven't had a chance to watch the SAG-AFTRA video yet...

Nerdlocker Interview: Cress Williams (Black Lightning)
Published on May 19, 2018, by nerdlocker

http://www.nerdlocker.com - Jason visits with Cress Williams (Black Lightning) at Motor City Comic Con! Check it out and let us know what you think!

Conversations with Cress Williams of BLACK LIGHTNING
Published on May 15, 2018, by SAG-AFTRA Foundation

Q&A with Cress Williams. Moderated by Danielle Turchiano, Variety.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1