Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

'Avengers: Infinity War' Has Already Broken a Ticket-Sales Record
MARCH 16, 2018 1:58pm PT by Aaron Couch
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/avengers-infinity-war-ticket-sales-have-set-a-record-1095201

Well, that was fast.

Avengers: Infinity War has already broken ticket seller Fandango's record for fastest-selling superhero movie in the first 24 hours of presales. And it only took six hours, following tickets going on sale at 6 a.m. PT Friday.

Infinity War tops the record previously held by Warner Bros.' Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, followed by fellow Marvel Studios film Black Panther. The ticket launch coincided with the release of the second trailer for Avengers: Infinity War.

'Avengers: Infinity War’ Breaks a Pre-Sales Record in Just Six Hours
By Dave McNary  March 16, 2018
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/avengers-infinity-war-fandango-record-1202729194/

Disney-Marvel’s “Avengers: Infinity War” has needed only six hours to break Fandango’s record for best-selling superhero movie in the first 24 hours of presales.

Advance tickets for “Infinity War” went on sale on Fandango at 6 a.m. PDT. By noon PDT, it surpassed the two previous top two record holders: “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” and “Black Panther.”

Fandango also said its survey of over 1,000 “Infinity War” ticket buyers showed 97% “can’t wait” to see how heroes work together in the same film; 94% are excited to see different franchise characters (“Guardians,” “Avengers,” etc.) meeting one another for the first time; 92% see “Infinity War” as the culmination of all of the Marvel Cinema Universe films before it; 87% have seen all of the MCU movies; 71% saw “Black Panther” on the big screen; and 60% claim “Black Panther” made them more excited to see “Avengers: Infinity War.”
Online ticket seller Atom Tickets reported Friday that “Avengers: Infinity Wars” sold more tickets in its first pre-sales day than “Black Panther” sold in its first month.

Atom Tickets also reported results of a survey of more than 2,000 ticket buyers and found that male patrons were  most excited to see the following characters: Mad Titan Thanos (26%); Iron Spider (17%) and T’Challa & Shuri (11%). Female respondents are most excited to see T’Challa & Shuri (28%); Peter Quill (15%); and Tony Stark (14%).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

What’s it like to play Superman’s grandfather? Surreal, says Cameron Cuffe
By TONY WONG   March 16, 2018
https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/opinion/2018/03/16/whats-it-like-to-play-supermans-grandfather-surreal-says-cameron-cuffe.html

Syfy’s Krypton, which debuts March 21 at 10 p.m. on Space, takes place 200 years before Seyg-El’s son, the scientist Jor-El, places his own son Kal-El, a.k.a. Superman, in a rocket to see him flourish under the yellow sun of earth.
Unlike Marvel, with its burgeoning cinematic universe, DC has had a harder go historically of making characters resonate with viewers — except perhaps for Wonder Woman. The Justice League movie was a noisy CGI train wreck of epic proportion. With the exception of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy with Christian Bale a decade ago, DC has not fared well on the big screen.

They have been far more successful on television with The Flash, Arrow and Supergirl.

Still, given that this is set in a world without superheroes, producers are hedging their bets early. Writers have already revealed that the story will have some elements familiar to fans of The Terminator movie series.

In this case, DC superheroes Hawkman and Adam Strange are sent back in time to protect and train Seyg-El to safeguard Superman’s bloodline. And there will be present-day villains sending their own superhero terminators back into the past to assassinate Grandpa.
“There are really fantastic shades of grey. While Seyg-El has a hero’s heart, he is on a path where he has to make sacrifices. Even when he wins, it can be a hollow feeling because you’ve made so many compromises to get to that point. That’s the arc where the show explores so well,” says Cuffe.

“The fact that you have this thing called the DC Universe means you have this incredible toy box to play with. It’s important we get it right and people will be critical if we don’t because it means so much to them. Superman is this person who believes in you even when you don’t believe in yourself.”

Edited by tv echo
11 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Unlike Marvel, with its burgeoning cinematic universe, DC has had a harder go historically of making characters resonate with viewers — except perhaps for Wonder Woman. The Justice League movie was a noisy CGI train wreck of epic proportion. With the exception of Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy with Christian Bale a decade ago, DC has not fared well on the big screen.

They have been far more successful on television with The Flash, Arrow and Supergirl.

I've seen so many entertainment writers just whip this opinion off without a word about why DC fails in movies but does better in television, and it's the same reason Marvel does well in movies -- beyond the fights and CGI, they have characters people can identify with and an integrated fantasy world. The same reason NTA vs OTA failed where Marvel's Civil War succeeds.

Since Zach Snyder brought his "vision" and grey-out colours to the DC movie 'verse, unless you're really into comic book stories, there's been no real reason to go to the films, unlike the Marvel movies where you can enjoy them even if you've never got into the comics.

• Love 9

Visually the DC movies are great. Everything else about them is a mess, IMO (Wonder Woman aside, which I loved). IDK how to explain it but they feel kind of shallow, like they're only made for comic book fans and viewers are just supposed to know what's going on and who the characters are.

I also feel like a lot of the movies have been rushed and the order of their release makes little sense. I feel like there's a whole movie or two missing in between Man of Steel and Batman vs Superman where they could have set up a lot of characters and conflicts, like Lex Luthor. And the Justice League movie probably should have come later, once all the characters had their own movies released first. Basically they've failed in the world/universe building whereas Marvel, for example, has taken the time to build up each character individually and so the Infinity War movies feel earned. That's not to say Marvel are perfect, far from it. But on the whole I respect and enjoy the universe they've created and I feel like they're made for ALL viewers, not just comic fans.

Edited by Guest
1 hour ago, tv echo said:

“There are really fantastic shades of grey. While Seyg-El has a hero’s heart, he is on a path where he has to make sacrifices. Even when he wins, it can be a hollow feeling because you’ve made so many compromises to get to that point. That’s the arc where the show explores so well,” says Cuffe.

Ugh.  Why do they insist on never letting the heroes have real victories?  I'm exhausted by this storyline before it even starts.    

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

Look whose back!

She looks great with her real hair vs. wig. AND she is wearing Laurels mask instead of her OG.

But with blacked-out eyes - a huge improvement IMO. It would have looked better on Laurel with blacked-out eyes too, if KC hadn't insisted otherwise.

• Love 5
Just now, Starfish35 said:

But with blacked-out eyes - a huge improvement IMO. It would have looked better on Laurel with blacked-out eyes too, if KC hadn't insisted otherwise.

I agree though I also agree with KC that having them blacked-out made the overall look to masculine and dark. But its the perfect combo for Sara's outfit or even Sirens.

1 minute ago, Starfish35 said:

Tomorrow night is the episode where Sara becomes possessed by Mallus - maybe she has hallucinations of her former self.

Which will be funny since something similar may be happening over in Arrow.

I will have to see how they handle it, but if it's a steady diet of episodes like "Daddy Darhkest" I'll be done with this show, and that makes me want to cry.  I cannot handle the horror/exorcist/demons stuff, but damn it! This was my fun happy show! This makes me so frustrated. :(

As I said in the Legends thread, I liked Constantine well enough as a guest star but I don't know how he will fit on Legends as a regular and I fear he will be another it boy the writers go overboard with. 

I'm...torn, to put it mildly. I like Matt Ryan, I like John Constantine, but I think he works best as a recurring character for this type of show. 

That being said, Legends has surprised me before with characters working and not working, so I'm going to wait until Constantine's second Legends appearance to make any rash decisions.

• Love 3

‘Justice League’ Ends Box Office Run As Lowest-Grossing DCEU Film
by KHAI ANWAR on MARCH 19, 2018
https://heroichollywood.com/justice-league-lowest-grossing-dc-extended-universe-film/

Justice League is now available on Digital HD and Blu-ray, which means its theatrical run is officially over. While the movie wasn’t a critical darling, there was a lot of fan expectation and hype around it. Even though the film was plagued with behind-the-scenes drama, the opening numbers were impressive. However, Justice League faltered in the following weeks and slowly became caught in a busy holiday season release schedule.
Sadly, Justice League wasn’t able to satisfy everyone, and it bowed out of the box office as the lowest-grossing film of the DC Extended Universe with a total of $657.9 million worldwide. The film is in fifth place, below Man Of Steel which made $668M million in 2013. Suicide Squad  is in third place with $746.8M, Wonder Woman is second with $821.8M and the highest grossing film of the DCEU is Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice which made $873.6M.

Edited by tv echo

Because in my head everything is related to SPN, this makes me wonder if they are really going to have two characters who dress alike but are not members of the same team on two different shows that are not in the same universe on the same network.......and it makes me worried for my beloved Castiel. ;/

From the trailers, I expected Thor to have little screen time, so I'll be honestly surprised if it turns out that he has a lot...

‘Avengers: Infinity War’ Will Be the Longest MCU Film Yet – Here’s Who Has the Most Screentime
March 19th, 2018    Chris Evangelista
http://www.slashfilm.com/infinity-war-runtime/

How many minutes would a film like Avengers: Infinity War need to serve its massive cast of characters? How about 156 minutes? That’s right – the official Infinity War runtime has been revealed, and it’s the longest MCU film to date.

Avengers: Infinity War is going to big. How could it not be? It features virtually every single living character in the MCU (except maybe Ant-Man; sorry Ant-Man). In order to give the many, many characters of Infinity War adequate screentime, Marvel and the Russo Brothers have put together a film that runs a staggering two hours and 36 minutes. This runtime makes Infinity War the longest film in MCU history – a distinction that previously belonged to the 147-minute Captain America: Civil War. If I may offer some advice: try not to drink too much soda pop when you see Infinity War, or else risk frequent bathroom breaks.
With all those characters cluttering up Infinity War – 76 by last count – who will end up with the most screen time? If you guessed Maria Hill, you are incorrect. In a recent Fandango interview, directors the Russo Brothers dropped some info regarding which characters get the most attention during the 156 minute runtime. One you might of guessed; the other is a bit of a surprise. Per the Russos, the film’s big bad, Thanos, has the most screen time, followed by Thor.

I could’ve guessed Thanos would have a large amount of screen time – he is the ultimate bad guy that the MCU has been building up for years now. But for Thor to have the second most screen time is a bit surprising. Here’s the quote from Joe Russo:

“Our job when we make these films — and what we feel is important to us — is to surprise the audience. We wanted to tell a story that they weren’t expecting, and the story is told from the point of view of a villain, which I think is also really unique and risky for a commercial film that will surprise the audience. I think this is a market where the audience really enjoys innovation and disruption, and we want to do something innovative in this space. So I think Thanos has an incredible amount of screen time, and I think you’ll find that Thor has a really interesting arc in the film. He hasn’t been at the forefront of other Avengers movies but he certainly has a very important role in this film. So I’ll say, Thanos and Thor.”

Edited by tv echo
17 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

so I'm going to wait until Constantine's second Legends appearance to make any rash decisions.

Yeah I'm not going to bail right away.  I'll give them a chance to make it work - they've surprised me before.  But I'm not at all hopeful.  One, I don't deal well with the whole demons and exorcisms stuff.  And two, I can easily see Constantine taking over the show, and I'm not here for that either.

• Love 3

Well, that should be interesting. I love Constantine, but he tends to more do his own thing, especially because I assume the Mallus stuff will be wrapped up by this season, and he has so much personality, it will be weird to have him in this ensemble show. On the other hand, he has more in his wheelhouse than just demons and exorcisms, and LoT has done a lot with other Island of Misfit Toys from throughout the Arrowverse (dont know what to do with a character, but want them around? LoT will find something for them to do!) so I will give them the benefit of the doubt. 

24 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I cannot handle the horror/exorcist/demons stuff, but damn it! This was my fun happy show! This makes me so frustrated. :(

If it makes you feel any better, he does usually do more than deal with demons and stuff, even though thats certainly a big part of his character. There are lots of elements of the magical parts of the DC universe, so hopefully they will find more ways to use him if they want to explore more. I wouldn't give up yet!

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

If it makes you feel any better, he does usually do more than deal with demons and stuff, even though thats certainly a big part of his character. There are lots of elements of the magical parts of the DC universe, so hopefully they will find more ways to use him if they want to explore more. I wouldn't give up yet!

Thanks.  It does, a bit.  I'll calm down - I promise.  I just - wow.  I really didn't enjoy Constantine's first episode on Legends, and the thought of more of that....majorly depressing.

• Love 1

More from the Fandango interview...

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: 'AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR' CO-DIRECTOR JOE RUSSO ON THE AVENGERS, THE GUARDIANS AND THE RETURN OF BLACK PANTHER
JAMIE BROADNAX  MARCH 16TH 2018, 6:00 AM
https://www.fandango.com/movie-news/exclusive-interview-avengers-infinity-war-co-director-joe-russo-on-the-avengers-the-guardians-and-the-return-of-black-panther-753060?cjid=cj_10369448_2617611_100652X1574804X8edc239a980908a1fd56b86efe5dfcf9

Fandango: Will Infinity War be a set up for the next film in the Avengers story, or does this movie sit as a stand-alone?
Joe Russo:
In the way that all Marvel movies sit as a stand-alone this one's a stand-alone. You know there's an experiment in serialized storytelling, so it certainly adds a correlation to the Avengers' story, but it's written in a way that all the Marvel movies have a correlation to each other. One thing that we set out from the beginning and said that we wanted to do from the beginning, was that we'd been disappointed about times we've sat in part one of part two films and it feels like they just took out a pair of scissors and cut the movie in half. And the first film isn't really structured in a way where there's a beginning, middle, and an end. It feels more set up like a first act and half of a second act for the second movie.

Avengers 3 has a beginning, middle, and a very definitive end and Avengers 4 does the same. Of course, there will be elements that carry over — and elements of the [Avengers] story that carry over, but I think you'll have a complete emotional experience in each film.
Fandango: There are a ton of characters in this movie. How did you balance all of them together in this story?
Joe Russo:
You know, we've had a lot of experience balancing ensembles. Our first film Welcome to Collinwood was an ensemble, Arrested Development was an ensemble, Community was an ensemble, Happy Endings was an ensemble. We had a lot of experience working with and telling stories with a lot of characters and making sure that each of those characters was serviced either in an A story, a B story or C story in some regard - either driving the plot, or they're driving their own personal story. It's a lot of hard work and it's part of the reason that we decided to make Avengers 3 and 4, was just the pure level of ambition involved in the movies. It's an unprecedented amount of characters I think in a commercial film.

And you know the work is really done in the writer's room with myself and my brother and Steve McFeely and Christopher Markus. We've all worked together on all four Marvel movies and they know the Marvel universe as well as anyone. They've, I think, written six or seven films for Marvel. Our job is once we get the story down on paper, we've got a draft and a script that we're happy with, and that has the structure and the plot that we're all happy with, we then start combing through the script from each character's point of view and try to make sure that we understand the story that we're telling with each character. Again, in a movie with 40 characters people are going to have varying degrees of investment in the story. They're either going to be either really high investment or low investment, and high screen time or lower screen time.

We knew that because we had two films, Avengers 3 and 4, that in one movie we could push people to the forefront but then we could pull back in the second film and push other characters to the forefront who had less screen time in the first movie. We did have the opportunity to divide it up that way. So if you feel like one of your favorite characters didn't get enough screen time in Avengers 3, well then wait 'til Avengers 4.
Fandango: You mention some characters are invested with more screen time than others. Can you name which of those characters were invested more?
Joe Russo: 
Interestingly enough, I'll start out by saying Thanos, even though he's not a character that had a huge preexisting story in the Marvel universe. He was a threat but he was not developed in any way up to this point. Thanos has an incredible amount of screen time in this film, in a lot of ways I would say it's his movie. Our job when we make these films — and what we feel is important to us — is to surprise the audience. We wanted to tell a story that they weren't expecting, and the story is told from the point of view of a villain, which I think is also really unique and risky for a commercial film that will surprise the audience. I think this is a market where the audience really enjoys innovation and disruption, and we want to do something innovative in this space. So I think Thanos has an incredible amount of screen time, and I think you'll find that Thor has a really interesting arc in the film. He hasn't been at the forefront of other Avengers movies but he certainly has a very important role in this film. So I'll say, Thanos and Thor.

Fandango: Speaking of Thor, he and Hulk are now much funnier characters since Thor: Ragnarok. Will we see the same kind of humor from those guys in this movie?
Joe Russo:
Each film I think that the audience is part of, is what they love about Marvel, it is that in the same way, that different writers in comic books have different interpretations of the characters. [The same goes] for filmmakers who work with Marvel. Our tone is very different than Taika's tone, it's very different than James Gunn's tone, it's very different than Ryan Coogler's tone and I think that is what excites people about seeing the movies. What keeps them distinct from each other is that they're all different tonal explorations. I think you'll find that obviously there'll be some correlation to his character from Ragnarok, and my brother and I spent years doing comedy with Arrested Development and Community, but that's not always necessarily appropriate for the tone of this movie. I think you'll see that Thor is at times hilarious and at times tragic in the film.
Fandango: Was there a pairing or partnership that you were most excited to see or a pairing that you think audiences are most excited to see among the Avengers?
Joe Russo:
Amongst the Avengers, let me see here. I think Tony Stark and Doctor Strange is a really interesting pairing and a really compelling pairing. It's a bit of an odd couple, and we used to reference DeNiro and Grodin from Midnight Run, so it's a somewhat contentious clash of egos, but very interesting and it has a big impact on the story.
Fandango: Whose story does this film belong to? Does it have its own hero telling the narrative?
Joe Russo:
Its point of view is Thanos' point of view, so it's a villain driving the narrative. But there are, that being said, it is at times multi-perspective and there are very important roles for a couple of the heroes. I think you could argue, too, that a lot of the film is told from the point of view of Gamora, and I think she has a really fascinating arc in the movie.
Joe Russo: Who's the most surprising? Let's take Thanos. I don't want to keep defaulting to him but I think people will find him at turns horrifying and at turns empathetic.

Edited by tv echo

Having Constantine around full time they'll have to gear more of the stories towards magic/demons to even really put him to good use so I'm as excited as I am scared.

Would've preferred Siren moving over but never really expected it so not much is lost.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, tv echo said:

‘Justice League’ Ends Box Office Run As Lowest-Grossing DCEU Film

Oh DC. Will they never learn? The Justice league mess is clearly a reaction to the audiences general annoyance with the DCEU, and their insistence on rushing everything to try to keep up with Marvel. Now that they're trying to "fix" everything, they seem to accidentally be making it even more of a dumpster fire. They saw that MCU movies were funny, so they added some one liners. They saw that MCU movies were more colorful, so they finally allowed for a few primary colors to sneak in. But what they still dont seem to get is that all the explosions and CGI battles in the world wont save their franchise, creating a fleshed out fantasy world and good characters will. As I've said a million times before, the reason the Arrowverse and the MCU are successful is that they actually created likable, engaging characters who did more than angst and punch stuff, and built a universe that makes sense and seems exciting and fun, while also being rooted in reality. The DCEU movies are either so glum, or so scattered, that they wouldn't connect with a mainstream audience, and when they try to pander to the comic book crowd (which they do often) it often backfires, and annoys them by getting the spirit of the DC Universe wrong. I actually read the comics, and it makes me dislike the DCEU even more, because I know the actual stories and characters, and know how much better they are (Superman is not emo! Amanda Waller isn't a sociopathic idiot! Batman is not a serial killer!) in the source material. Not that everything has to be just like the comics, or characters cant change , but if they change for the worse? After the endless fanboy pandering? LAME.

Its clearly not an issue of people being sick of superheroes (look at how much money Black Panther has made, and thats a solo movie about a lesser known to the mainstream hero, while Justice League is the most famous superhero team ever!), its people being sick of DC, and are tired of wating for them to get their shit together. I thought Justice League was ok, but Wonder Woman really remains their own really high quality movie. 

I admit that, as an Arrowverse fan who has seen good characters killed off or removed because DC were sticking all their eggs in their cinematic nest and didn't want to share, I feel a certain amount of schadenfreude at their struggles. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 13

The sad part is they are still bumbling ahead and refusing to look at what is wrong with their movies. If the mainstream audience didn't show up for the most famous trio of Supers (Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman), they are not going to watch Flashpoint with characters they don't care about or Shazam. I guess we'll see how Aquaman does, after Justice League I've lost a lot of interest in paying to see that movie. 

• Love 1
Just now, tennisgurl said:

I loved tonight's Legends episode so much, that, much like Sara, I died and came back to life several times. 

Hee! 

Seeing what had to be her final mission for the League was brutal and made so much sense. 

And Sara’s friendship with Oliver is one of my favorite things in the Arrowverse, one which I miss desperately (I love the crossovers for the few minutes we get of them), so it was great seeing Nora try to blame Oliver for her actions and Sara being all “Nope, not with me”. 

• Love 7

Seeing Sara and John again, makes me see that they more chemistry than her and Ava. And I don't want them to be together either. 

I did like Sara sticking up for Oliver. I do miss their friendship. Also seeing Sara's final mission as the cold blooded assassin was interesting. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I don't ship Sara/Constantine either. But I definitely don't like her with Ava. For me, Nyssa/Sara is still my fave, it's sad they've never gotten Katrina to guest star. Or they can give me my crack ship of Sara/Ray (unlikely, I know) lol. 

I'm interested in seeing John interact with the other Legends next season. Matt seems to have natural chemistry with most people.

Edited by JJ928
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

They did get Katrina/Nyssa to guest star in the first season, when Sara got her closure with her. Everyone always forgets about it. Lol

Ah, I didn't see that episode lol. I actually only watched like 1/2 of season ,1 and like 4 eps of season 2. Season 3 is the first season I've enjoyed and watched in its entirety. 

I cant even decide what my favorite part was. Gary narrating the LoT gang as a DnD campaign? Mick finding his inner superhero? Sara telling Nora that she wasn't falling for her bullshit, and standing up for Oliver? Constantine planting a big one on dorky Gary, followed by Gary clearly falling in love? 

So much! Rather dark episode, especially for LoT, but it was awesome. 

• Love 6