Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Go to link to see pics (warning: possible spoilers)...

Everything we learned about 'Avengers: Infinity War' from just-revealed toys
Yahoo Movies   February 27, 2018
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/everything-learned-avengers-infinity-war-just-revealed-toys-144956289.html

The toy versions of Thanos’s thugs, called the Black Order, are awfully cute. But in the film, the quartet of Cull Obsidian, Ebony Maw, Corvus Glaive, and Proxima Midnight are all formidable foes.

Based on the various Lego sets, Thanos has dispatched his fearsome foursome to help collect the six Infinity Stones that will power his Infinity Gauntlet. The purple Power Stone, the blue Space Stone, the yellow Mind Stone, the red Reality Stone, the green Time Stone, and the orange Soul Stone.
Hasbro, Funko, and Lego all have sets featuring Spider-Man’s latest superpowered Stark Tech suit ripped straight from the comics. The Iron Spider armor‘s most notable feature is a set of weaponized mechanical arms, known as “waldoes.”
Lego’s “Sanctum Santorum Showdown” set has the Queens, N.Y.-based Spidey joining forces with fellow New Yorkers Iron Man and Dr. Strange in an effort to protect the latter’s Eye of Agamotto (which contains the Time Stone) from two of Thanos’s thugs, Cull Obsidian and Ebony Maw.
... Three of the five Lego sets are set in Wakanda. “Corvus Glaive Thresher Attack” (with Corvus Glaive and an Outrider minion versus Black Panther, Vision, and everybody’s favorite princess, Shuri, in a clash over the Mind Stone), “Hulkbuster Smash-Up” (with Bruce Banner, perhaps in the Hulkbuster suit, joining Falcon to face Proxima Midnight and an Outrider in a battle over the Soul Stone), and “Outrider Dropship Attack” (featuring Cap and Black Widow, who appears to be brandishing vibranium-infused batons, against an Outrider for the Space Stone).
In the trailer, T’Challa orders one of his Wakandans to get Cap a shield, since the first Avenger lost his star-spangled weapon in Civil War. Based on the new toys, before he gets his shield back, the bearded hero fights with some kind of gauntlets, perhaps concocted by tech savant Shuri.
We know from Ragnarok that Bruce Banner and the Hulk are battling for control of their mind and body, and neither wants to give way to the other. In the Infinity War trailer, we see Banner back on earth, presumably after crash-landing following his exit from Asgard. Looking at Lego’s “Hulkbuster Smash-Up” set, it appears Banner might not be in a hurry to transform into Hulk to help his buddies, so instead he pilots the Hulkbuster armor into battle.

Of course, the trailer shows us the not-so-jolly green giant in the movie … and Hasbro has the accompanying Titan Hero Hulk figure.
In the comics, Iron Man briefly joined the Guardians of the Galaxy, sporting special armor that allowed for space travel. The toy version of Tony Stark models his new suit, which has fancy wings and arm cannons. The Lego set “Thanos: Ultimate Battle” features Iron Man fighting alongside the Guardians on what appears to be an alien world — perhaps hinting of the film’s climactic battle?

What’s not clear, however, is whether Tony’s suit features a bionic arm — there’s a theory floating around that the Avenger will lose an arm in battle. However, the toys show cannons on both arms, which doesn’t necessarily confirm the internet chatter.
While there’s speculation that Iron Man might lose a limb, the toys indicate that another damaged Avenger might regain a lost body part. Thor, who was left sporting an eyepatch following the events of Ragnarok, has toys that feature him with his both eyes restored. While one of Hasbro’s Titan Hero action figures has him with a patch, the Titan Tech Power FX version shows him without.
Likewise, both Funko and Lego sets have him with both eyes intact. All the latter toys also depict Thor with his Mjolnir replacement, an axe called Stormbreaker. The “Thor’s Weapon Quest” Lego set suggests that Stormbreaker might draw from the Power Stone (last spotted on Xandar under protection of the Nova Corps), which may also restore Thor’s sight. Also note Stormbreaker’s handle, which some fans believe is created with wood donated by Groot. 
Speaking of the heroic tree, he has grown up from his Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 infancy. He may still be in his adolescence (as shown in the Guardians 2 end credits), since two of the toys — a Hasbro Titan Hero and a Funko Pop! — have him clutching a handheld Gameboy-like unit.

Edited by tv echo

Here Comes The 'Avengers: Infinity War' Funko Pops
By SEAN FALLON - February 28, 2018
http://comicbook.com/marvel/2018/02/28/avengers-infinity-war-funko-pops/

Here we go! Funko has unveiled their Avengers: Infinity War lineup and it is a MASSIVE wave. That’s not surprising, because this movie contains roughly one million characters.
• Avengers: Infinity War Iron Man Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Thor Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Iron Spider Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Captain America Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Thanos Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Black Widow Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Hulkbuster 6-Inch Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Corvus Glaive Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Ebony Maw Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Proxima Midnight Pop! Vinyl Figure
• Avengers: Infinity War Teen Groot with Gun Pop! Vinyl Figure
Again, the items listed above are the standard figures, but there are going to be loads of exclusives as well. Look for a 10” Pop! of Thanos at Target, unmasked Iron Spider at BoxLunch, Vision at Hot Topic, Groot at Toys”R”Us, Iron Man (Unmasked) at FYE, glow-in-the-dark Thor is a Asia exclusive, an alternate version of Thanos at Walmart, and Cull Obsidian at Walgreens. Again, these items should be available in March. Funko notes that March 3rd is a likely drop date.

infinity-war-funko-4-1087060.jpeg 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I do still low-level ship Sara and Rip, just kind of an ongoing simmer.  If the show ever let it go there, they'd be fun to watch and I do give him a pass for when he wasn't in his right mind.  It's not like Sara's never tried to kill him, lol.  

I really wish I could get behind Nate and Amaya but I barely can get behind Nate most of the time.  I think the closest I came was at the beginning of this season because I finally bought into both of them really caring.  Now Nate is back to annoying me most of the time, though on so much lower a level than any of the newbs.  I can't even stand to watch the promo for Arrow right now.  Rene starts talking and I get so pissed I have to get him off my screen even though normally I LIKE seeing the advertisement for Arrow, even when it's not very interesting.  

I'm also really missing Arrow on Wednesdays today.  I actually liked it when it was Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, and then end the week with something light and fun with LoT.  It's fun to start the week with LoT but I hate waiting for Arrow.  And if it pisses me off, there will be nothing to unpiss me off, lol.  

I agree with all of this.

I think, for me, Sara has had some really good scenes with Rip. It's definitely a low level ship for me, but mostly because Caity and Arthur play the best off of each other. Plus, Rip being around gives Sara some really good material to work with. With the others, thus far, she's been their Captain but there hasn't quite been that level of equality that I find with Sara and Rip. It's kind of hard to explain, but Sara's gotten a lot of character progression with Rip around. I know Rip's a douche, but he's still a really good character for me. 

Nate's a complicated character for me in terms of likability. When he's not around Amaya or Ray, I actually enjoy him. Also, when he's not being Ray 2.0, or a complete whiny romantic douche. I now find him the best when he's Zari's sidekick. 

I do miss the scheduling with the shows. Hopefully, with this Sunday night opening up, we can get the DC shows scattered, instead of two on one night. I'm not sure what my dream schedule would be, other than keeping The Flash on Tuesdays, moving Arrow back to Wednesdays, and not having Supergirl or Legends share a timeslot. Legends on Thursdays wouldn't be the worst for me. I also wouldn't be opposed to Black Lightning being on Sundays (also would be nice if I could watch it in Canada), or Legends on Sundays/BL on Thursdays. But I'm not sure The CW would want to test out their new Sunday programming with DC shows. I think Sundays are going to do well for The CW either way, but I'd love to get my fix five out of six days. 

Either way, having no superhero shows on Wednesdays isn't working for me. Plus, I stopped watching Riverdale at the midseason finale mark, so my Wednesdays are pretty empty at the moment. 

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

That's funny - I'm kind of the opposite.  Nate was at his worst for me at the beginning of the season.  I wanted someone to slap him for how he acted about Amaya leaving.  Right now, though, I'm actually warming up to him.  I like him better with the rest of the crew than with Amaya, but I'm even ok with them as long as they're just having sexy fun and it's not all the "my destiny!" drama.   But Nate was really good with Mick in the Vietnam episode, and he and Zari teaming up in the time-loop episode was hilarious.  And I think they've managed to differentiate him from Ray in personality enough now that I'm not getting so annoyed by the two of them together as I used to.

He's had some good moments though I did resent that they had Zari turn to him for help when the previous episode seemed to have set it up that she was closer to Ray so that bummed me out enough to resent him a bit, plus, right during helping her he got distracted with Amaya so he lost big points, lol.  

I really don't hate him anymore and often enough I even like him, but he honestly could leave the show and I wouldn't miss him.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Titans TV Series Doom Patrol Adds Negative Man (Exclusive)
Mike Cecchini   February 28, 2018
http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/titans/271323/titans-tv-series-doom-patrol-adds-negative-man-exclusive

Warner Bros. has been drip-feeding the details of the Doom Patrol cast over the last week or so, and we're here to bring you the latest piece of casting news: Dwain Murphy (Star Trek: Discovery, The Strain, Degrassi: The Next Generation) will play Larry "Negative Man" Trainor on the show.
Here's the official word on what we can expect from the TV version of Negative Man:
A pilot in the Air Force, Larry Trainor crashed his plane and was exposed to a mysterious “negative” energy. Wrapped in bandages to protect those around him, Larry struggles with this new strange power.

That "new strange power" allows him to project a "soul-self" that looks like a creepy radioactive shadow, which can fly and project energy.

Murphy's Negative Man joins a Doom Patrol team that includes Bruno Bichir as Professor Niles Caulder, Jake Michaels as Cliff "Robotman" Steele, and April Bowlby as Rita "Elasti-Girl" Farr. Murphy will appear, along with the rest of the team, on Titans episode 5, appropriately titled "The Doom Patrol." 

Edited by tv echo

Someone on Reddit compared Legends to Community, because of the callbacks and ensemble chemistry and genre-exploration and general zaniness. I thought that was a particularly apt comparison. Community didn't have a big fanbase either, but the fanbase it did have was extremely invested and adored the show and its creators.

• Love 2
(edited)

Avengers: Infinity War release date moves a week up - now opening April 27

We’ve just hit March, and a date change for Disney/Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War means the sequel is officially less than two months away. The pic’s release has been moved up a week to April 27, as told in an amusing back-and-forth between Marvel Studios and Robert Downey Jr. today: [link below]

Marvel typically starts their supehero releases overseas at the end of April ahead of domestic, but now Infinity War becomes a day and date release.

I can't imbed tweets, but here's the link for the twitter announcement.  Make sure to read down.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2

Time to tap into your inner Super Hero! Warner Bros. Television Group (WBTVG) and DC Entertainment are inviting fans into their SXSWXDC Super Hero lair with an epic pop culture experience for the duration of SXSW (March 9–18). The DC/WBTV bunker will not only feature the House of El’s otherworldly origin story with the upcoming SYFY drama Krypton (premiering March 21), but also Gotham City’s coolest wheels, with a display of Batman’s iconic onscreen Batmobiles and Bat-cycles. DC fans can also stop by to celebrate Superman’s 80th Anniversary and to meet legendary DC comic book writers and artists Jim Lee, Frank Miller and more. There will be free Jitters coffee direct from Central City; exclusive beer tastings from Supernatural star Jensen Ackles’ local brewery, Family Business Beer Company; a special look at how the Constantine comic has been resurrected as a digital series; photo-ops with Teen Titans Go! and the original creature from Critters; exclusive merchandise; cast and producer signings with WBTV’s Black Lightning and more!

3 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

In-season ratings drops in viewership to date:

• Black Lightning -29.0% (2.305 million to 1.636 million)
  • Arrow -27.0% (1.522 million to 1.111 million)
  • The Flash -25.5% (2.844 million to 2.120 million)
  • Legends of Tomorrow -11.7% (1.711 million to 1.511 million)
  • Supergirl +13.5% (1.867 million to 2.119 million)

In-season ratings drops in demo (using most recent preliminary unrounded numbers):

• Arrow -32.1% (0.601 to 0.408)
  • Black Lightning -31.7% (0.774 to 0.528)
  • The Flash -31.6% (1.052 to 0.720)
  • Legends of Tomorrow -25.5% (0.565 to 0.421)
  • Supergirl +4.0% (0.531 to 0.552)

All ratings history from SpottedRatings.com.

The Flash demo drop fascinates me! To go from 1 to 0.7. I honestly didn't think they'd get a 0.7.

Will be fascinating to see what the ratings will be next season and whether they will plummet to 0.5 or something! 

• Love 1

I swear me and the rest of the posters in the live thread are the only people I know that watch anything live anymore.  Those ratings are becoming less and less representative of anything I think.  

• Love 2
(edited)

The Flash demo drop fascinates me! To go from 1 to 0.7. I honestly didn't think they'd get a 0.7.

Will be fascinating to see what the ratings will be next season and whether they will plummet to 0.5 or something! 

Yeah, Flash has taken a hit this year.  To redo the chart with absolute numbers rather than percentages:

In-season ratings drops in viewership to date:

• The Flash -724,000 viewers (2.844 million to 2.120 million)
  • Black Lightning -669,000 viewers. (2.305 million to 1.636 million)
  • Arrow -411,000 viewers (1.522 million to 1.111 million)
  • Legends of Tomorrow -200,000 viewers (1.711 million to 1.511 million)
  • Supergirl +252,000 viewers (1.867 million to 2.119 million)

In-season ratings drops in demo (using most recent preliminary unrounded numbers):

• The Flash -0.332 (1.052 to 0.720)
  • Black Lightning -0.245 (0.773 to 0.528)
  • Arrow -0.193 (0.601 to 0.408)
  • Legends of Tomorrow -0.144 (0.565 to 0.421)
  • Supergirl +0.021 (0.531 to 0.552)

All ratings history from SpottedRatings.com.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
(edited)

I was curious, so I took a look at how the numbers might look using L+7.  L+7 numbers are currently available through the week of Feb. 5-11.  Taken from TVbytheNumbers, and RJK at SpottedRatings.  Again, this is in-season comparisons only.

• Arrow, through 613.  1.1 to 0.8. -0.3 drop in demo, -27.3%.  2.698 million to 2.213 million.  -485,000 drop in viewers, -18.0%.
  • Black Lightning, through 104.  1.3 to 1.2, -0.1 drop in demo, -7.7%.  3.629 million to 3.273 million.  -356,000 viewers, -9.8%.
  • The Flash, through 413.  1.8 to 1.7.  -0.1 drop in demo, -6.0%.  4.773 million to 4.284 million. -489,000 drop in viewers, -10.2%.
  • Legends, through 309.  1.3 to 1.2, -0.1 drop in demo, -7.7%.  2.850 million to 2.606 million. -244,000 drop in viewers, -8.6%.

• Supergirl, through 413.  1.0 to 1.0, no change in demo.  3.117 million to 3.222 million.  +105,000 increase in viewers, +3.4%.

I think my biggest surprise was the Flash demo numbers.  They may be taking a hit in the demo in the live numbers, but they're almost making up for it in L+7.

Edited by Starfish35

I find ratings interesting observations, like hearing some quirky fact you would never normally care about knowing. But I don't see the point of getting invested or caught up in demo drops or viewer drops when the Network itself doesn't care. 

As as long as Arrowverse remains part of their business plan or profitable for them they'll keep those shows on the air even if they get 0.1 and 10, 000 viewers. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I was curious, so I took a look at how the numbers might look using L+7.  L+7 numbers are currently available through the week of Feb. 5-11.  Taken from TVbytheNumbers, and RJK at SpottedRatings.  Again, this is in-season comparisons only.

• Arrow, through 613.  1.1 to 0.8. -0.3 drop in demo, -27.3%.  2.698 million to 2.213 million.  -485,000 drop in viewers, -18.0%.
  • Black Lightning, through 104.  1.3 to 1.2, -0.1 drop in demo, -7.7%.  3.629 million to 3.273 million.  -356,000 viewers, -9.8%.
  • The Flash, through 413.  1.8 to 1.7.  -0.1 drop in demo, -6.0%.  4.773 million to 4.284 million. -489,000 drop in viewers, -10.2%.
  • Legends, through 309.  1.3 to 1.2, -0.1 drop in demo, -7.7%.  2.850 million to 2.606 million. -244,000 drop in viewers, -8.6%.

• Supergirl, through 413.  1.0 to 1.0, no change in demo.  3.117 million to 3.222 million.  +105,000 increase in viewers, +3.4%.

I think my biggest surprise was the Flash demo numbers.  They may be taking a hit in the demo in the live numbers, but they're almost making up for it in L+7.

What I'm gathering from that is people don't watch LoT live. Its doing well in +7. Same with the Flash. 

(edited)

Media reporting on the "DC Universe" panel at Emerald City Comic Con on March 1...

Bat-Plans and the Justice League at the ECCC ’18 DC Universe Panel
By: Joe Grunenwald  03/01/2018
http://www.comicsbeat.com/bat-plans-and-the-justice-league-at-the-eccc-18-dc-universe-panel/

DC Comics held their first panel of Emerald City Comic Con today. Moderated by Hank Kanalz, the panelists included writers Marguerite Bennett (Batwoman), Justin Jordan (The Curse of Brimstone), duo Shawna and Julie Benson (Batgirl and the Birds of Prey), James Tynion IV (Detective Comics, Justice League: No Justice), and Joshua Williamson (The Flash, Justice League: No Justice), as well as artist Mitch Gerads (Mister Miracle).

Bennett began the panel by saying that she’s been off of social media for five months so she wasn’t sure what she was allowed to talk about, but that she’s been building to “The Fall of the House of Kane” since the beginning of Batwoman. The story sees Kate Kane return to the city where her family died, and to her old house to confront what Bennet described as “the rot at her roots.” Fernando Blanco is the artist on the story. Bennett says that her new hobby is plagues and infectious diseases, which she researched heavily while working on this story. When asked for a spoiler, Bennett implied that Alice Kane makes a return in this story. Bennett also stressed what an honor it is to continue telling Kate Kane’s stories, following in the footsteps of Greg Rucka and J.H. Williams III.
TJoshua Williamson talked about the “Perfect Storm” arc of The Flash and it how ties together everything that has happened to The Flash since the beginning of the current Rebirth series. In a recent issue, Grodd stripped Barry of his powers, which led Barry to turn to others like the classic Wally West and Godspeed for help. “Perfect Storm” sets the stage for the upcoming “Flash War,” in which something happens that puts Barry and Wally at odds with each other. The “Flash War” arc is drawn by Howard Porter, and Williamson described how the story capitalizes on both his and Porter’s love for The Flash. They will explore how Hunter Zolomon has survived the timeline changes and what he does to get Barry and Wally to fight each other. Carmine Di Giandomenico just turned in his last page of The Flash artwork within the last few days, and Williamson praised the energy that the artist brought to the title. He also teased Zolomon and Eobard Thawne teaming up to get revenge on Wally and Barry, as well as Wally finally confronting Iris about his return and the repurcission of that.
Julie Benson talked about how she and her sister, Shawna, were approached by Geoff Johns to come onto Batgirl & The Birds of Prey. The series is wrapping up with issue #23, and the final arc, “Full Circle”, brings back all of the major villains the team has faced over the course of the series, beginning with The Calculator and progressing from there. Also returning will be Fenice and a few other still-unrevealed villains. Each of these villains represents a dark version of one of the Birds, Shawna said, and the arc will see the Birds evaluating who they are and who they want to be going forward. The final arc is a very personal story for the writers, and they described getting emotional while writing their finale to the series. When asked who their favorite Birds are, Julie said hers is Black Canary, while Shawna’s is Barbara Gordon. Julie in particular likes Canary because of her loyalty to her friends, and because she has cool powers. For Shawna, she admires Barbara’s desire to always be better. Their writing process involves each of them writing half of a script, then swapping pages halfway through to polish each other’s work, though Julie is fond of puns and more likely to add dad jokes to the scripts. The Bensons will be revealing a new project at a panel tomorrow.
When asked what their dream books would be, Marguerite Bennett said she would want to do a Zatanna and Constantine book; Justin Jordan wants to work on Lobo; Shawna Benson mentioned Zatanna; Julie Benson named Batwoman; Mitch Gerads, citing the naming of his child “West Allen,” said he would want to work on The Flash; Tynion IV named Batgirl; and Williamson said Superman/Batman (or Batman/Superman, depending on what DC wants to call it).

2018-03-01-14.48.31.jpg?resize=1000,750

Marguerite Bennett, Justin Jordan, Shawna Benson,  Julie Benson, James Tynion IV, Mitch Gerads, Joshua Williamson

And here's play-by-play live reporting from the "DC Universe" panel at Emerald City Comic Con on March 1...

ECCC 2018: DC Universe Panel
By Lan Pitts  March 1, 2018 
https://www.newsarama.com/38856-eccc-2018-dc-universe-panel.html

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
(edited)

Play-by-play live reporting from "DC: The Write Stuff" panel at Emerald City Comic Con on March 2...

ECCC 2018: DC's The Write Stuff With BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS Panel
By Lan Pitts  March 2, 2018 
https://www.newsarama.com/38857-eccc-2018-dc-s-the-write-stuff-with-brian-michael-bendis-panel.html

03/02/2018 15:20
Panel is now starting and the panelists are getting introduced. Julie and Shawna Benson, Jody Houser, James Tynion IV, Mark Russell, Jeff Parker.

03/02/2018 15:21
It was announced that the Benson sisters are writing the Green Arrow Annual #2, with art by Cameron Carmero. On sale 5/30. "We can't tell you too much except this is a No Justice perspective from the roots on the ground."

03/02/2018 15:23
Brian Michael Bendis just showed up as he is the moderator of the panel. "I asked to be the moderator because I haven't done really anything at DC so I am full of questions."
03/02/2018 15:43
Bendis asked the panelists that what their dream gigs are at DC. Parker said Jason Blood. "I love the stuff from the 70's."

03/02/2018 15:44
Tynion said Teen Titans. "I really want to do a Teen Titans series. It would have to be Geoff Johns' Titans. That's the definitive run for me."

03/02/2018 15:45
Jody said Catwoman. Shawna said Lois Lane, Julie said Green Lantern.

03/02/2018 15:46
Mark Russell said Swamp Thing.

now it's time for audience Q&A
3/02/2018 16:23
The panel was also asked about how they deal with the fans who feel like they've been marginalized and harass both fans and creators for their opinion. Tynion said mute and that was cosigned by Jody.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Almost done with Flash S1....Laurels first crossover..such a refreshing scene. She was so happy, upbeat something that severely lacked on Arrow (and the series in general). Cisco fanboying over her was cute. Shame we never got to see her interact or work with the team more. 

One of the strong suits of S1 was that they didn't try to pull one over on the audience. We knew that "Wells" was shady since like the first or second episode and found out that he was the RF before everyone on the show was but we got to see them figure it out. Yet somehow it became a habit of keeping the audience in the dark for majority of the season and us finding things out as the characters found things out, and even though RF was the big bad of S1 he didn't interact with the team that much outside of being Wells. We also get our first appearance of Cecile! 

Quentin and Joe working together was fun as hell. Loved seeing the two bounce off of each other and Quentin still had an authority about him. These types of crossovers we definitely need more outside of Oliver/Felicity/Barry being the main ones to go back and forth between the two shows.

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

What I'm gathering from that is people don't watch LoT live. Its doing well in +7. Same with the Flash. 

Legends numbers are for last year and the last data point was for the post-crossover episode which saw a bump.  For example, the pre-crossover episode was a 0.9 in Live +7.

It'll be interesting to see what it looks like this year.

Edited by Xander
  • Love 1
(edited)

Was he responding to the Shethority post itself, or the comments he received on the response he made to that post? It was hard for me to tell; the post was deleted by the time I heard about it.

Edited by Miss Dee
(edited)

Further cementing the new Barry Allen as a clone of the new Peter Parker...

Flashpoint directors John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein officially confirmed
AJ Caulfield  March 3, 2018
http://www.looper.com/111923/flashpoint-directors-john-francis-daley-jonathan-goldstein-officially-confirmed/

What was once just talk has now been kicked into action. John Francis Daley and Jonathan Goldstein are officially set to direct DC and Warner Bros.' Flash standalone, Flashpoint

Word of Daley and Goldstein's involvement with the forthcoming flick first surfaced in January, with reports indicating that the Horrible Bosses and Spider-Man: Homecoming screenwriting duo had entered negotiations to helm. Soon after, while they were making their way through press junket rounds promoting their surprise hit Game Night, Daley and Goldstein clarified that the directing deal hadn't yet been closed. This meant that things could have fallen to pieces for any number of reasons, and the two may have not signed on for Flashpoint at all. 

But thankfully, all has panned out nicely, and on Saturday, Daley took to Twitter to confirm he and Goldstein have finalized their deal to take the reins for Flashpoint. The creative posted a GIF of the Flash running, captioning the tweet, "It's happening!" 

At this point, it's still unclear whether Daley and Goldstein will direct from an established script or if they'll split their responsibilities and help craft an updated version. The pair have proven a pretty perfect storytelling match, having written a well-received superhero movie with Spider-Man: Homecoming and a funnier-than-it-should-be action-comedy with Game Night, so we wouldn't be surprised if they end up having have some type of influence over the narrative. 
Flashpoint is expected to launch sometime in 2020. A set release date hasn't yet been announced, but hey, at least the film has its directors officially on board!

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

Needless to say, I don't agree with most of this list - I would probably agree with including only Cynthia Robinson, Casper Crump, Robbie Amell and Hartley Sawyer (and I never saw Adam "Edge" Copeland's performance)...

No Justice: 15 Arrowverse Performances That Ruined Great DC Characters
Mason Segall  March 3, 2018
https://www.cbr.com/bad-arrowverse-performances-dc/

... Spread across Arrow, Flash, Legends of Tomorrow, Supergirl, and now Black Lightning, the television universe has been pretty artistically, narratively, and financially successful. It’s also given audiences some terrific performances, most notably Stephen Amell’s star-making turn as Green Arrow, Grant Gustin’s character defining Flash role, and Melissa Benoist’s utterly charming portrayal of Supergirl. But, to paraphrase Isaac Newton, for each good performance, there is an equal and opposite terrible performance.

15. CANDICE PATTON AS IRIS WEST
14. MEHCAD BROOKS AS JIMMY OLSEN
13. CYNTHIA ROBINSON AS AMANDA WALLER
12. DANIELLE PANABAKER AS KILLER FROST
11. CASPER CRUMP AS VANDAL SAVAGE
10. ROBBIE AMELL AS RONNIE RAYMOND
9. NICK TARABAY AS CAPTAIN BOOMERANG
8. ADAM ‘EDGE’ COPELAND AS ATOM SMASHER
7. CIARA RENEE AS HAWKGIRL
6. ECHO KELLUM AS MR. TERRIFIC
5. AMY GUMENICK AS CUPID
4. ARTHUR DARVILL AS RIP HUNTER
3. MARK HAMILL AS THE TRICKSTER
2. TOM FELTON AS DOCTOR ALCHEMY
1. HARTLEY SAWYER AS ELONGATED MAN

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

But will anything actually be done?...

Let’s Fix Comics Panel Tackles the Issue of Workplace Harassment in the Industry – ECCC ’18
By Manon Hume   03/02/2018   
http://www.comicsbeat.com/lets-fix-comics-panel-tackles-the-issue-of-workplace-harassment-in-the-industry-eccc-18/

“The first step has to be explicit guidelines,” announced comics journalist Jay Edidin in the aptly-titled Enough is Enough: Let’s Fix Comics panel. Edidin and fellow panelists Casey Gilly, James Lucas Jones, and Vita Ayala discussed workplace harassment in the comics industry.  The panel has run at ECCC for eight years, yet the topic has been rendered particularly relevant this year by current events and the firing of DC’s Eddie Berganza in November.

Much of the problem, the panelists held, lies in the fact that many joined the comics industry young and learned that certain behaviors are okay despite the fact that they are not. These mentalities – such as “paying your dues,” Edidin noted with a cringe – lead to toxic and hostile workplaces that can border on the dysfunctional. Gilly, contributor to the Mine! And Femme Magnifique Comics anthologies, called attention to the fact that publishers do not establish boundaries well enough. Seeing a coworker rewarded or promoted despite harassing another employee can lead to employees normalizing and mirroring that behavior.
“So what can we do?” was the common refrain throughout the discussion. All the speakers agreed that there are many steps and approaches we can take, both big and small, to make the industry better. Edidin’s declaration of the importance of explicit guidelines applied not only to workplace relationships and environments, but to conventions and other industry-related spaces. As a consultant for the creation of these guidelines, he pointed to the fact that human social behaviors may not work as well in larger settings as in familiar ones, meaning that behaviors we may consider normal are not acceptable to others.

Another important step is the creation of a profession organization, such as a union, for those involved in comics. This idea has been floated in the industry before; in this context, an organization could provide a space for journalists, freelancers, creators, and more to establish practices and have discussions that would allow employees to feel safe and represented. Until such an organization is founded, Edidin said it is important to share information and continue talking with others in the industry because “it is an employers’ market,” and secrecy and paranoia can be mitigated by open communication.
Generationally, younger people are more likely to not put up with toxic behaviors, and that can lead to difference of opinions and approaches from older mentors or employees. Ayala felt that it’s important to respect and empathize with what others in the industry may have gone through, but also noted that doesn’t mean we have to wait to rise to their position to address harassment or other destructive behaviors.

For those outside the industry, joining organizations that support workers and their rights and putting pressure on publishers is a key step in making things better. It’s not only about calling them out when they do something wrong, but about boosting them up when they do something right.

Edited by tv echo

I think half this list makes no sense. Ralph may not be the greatest character but I think Hartley plays him good. Along with Mark Hamil. Arthur, Amy, Echo, Robbie, Cynthia and Candice.

Though the writer has to be there and it hasnt been for most of em.

• Love 1

Some on that list seem to be there not for bad performances, but for not acting like the author wanted them to.  Like with Dr. Alchemy.  I LOVED Tom Felton on The Flash. But they played up the regular guy way more than the comic book character and for that, I was grateful. 

• Love 5

Yeah, that writer is largely complaining about how the characters are written or adapted - which isn't the actor's fault. Only a few are on there for actual acting reasons (and in some of those cases I would tend to agree those people just aren't great actors). 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'll agree with you on one and disagree on the other.  :D

It's ok! :) I just think it says a lot that people even on here (who are her fans) say that it's good that the show doesn't give her a lot to do other than lead the team.

That being said it's definitely in the eyes of the beholder

24 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

Honestly the only actors who have ruined the characters they play are Katie Cassidy and Caity Lotz. I think they're honestly the most awful actresses who can't handle any level of nuance.

KC's biggest problem for me is that she's robotic (which actually made it pretty easy for me to ignore her), whereas CL seems to play every scene the exact same way (smirk, pursed lips, low/stilted voice). Acting is so subjective though, so where I see a smirk others see vulnerability, haha. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, WindofChange said:

It's ok! :) I just think it says a lot that people even on here (who are her fans) say that it's good that the show doesn't give her a lot to do other than lead the team.

That being said it's definitely in the eyes of the beholder

It's very subjective so all opinions are valid but I haven't seen many people say "it's a good thing she only leads the team" (and she does a lot more than that), I think the vast majority of LOT fans like her. She's not always the best actor in the world but Sara had a terrible back story of sister betraying g assassin and ended up being a ship stall for my favourite ship and I still love her so I think CL is doing something right. She does have some ticks like the pout that irritate me but so do most actors.

• Love 6

I don’t think Caity is the best actress but she has charisma, fighting skill, and unlike Juliana and Katie, makes me feel sympathy for her despite being a “badass”.

juliana is quickly establishing herself as the worst actress in my mind.

• Love 4