Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

So....Ratings.  Where do you think Flash and Arrow will come back from the Olympics hiatus at?

Flash midseason ratings (from SpottedRatings):

IMG_2919.PNG

Arrow midseason ratings (same source):

IMG_2920.PNG

The only history we have is from Arrow season two, which also went on break between episodes 13 & 14 for the 2014 Winter Olympics (from TVSeriesFinale):

IMG_2923.PNG

Edited by Starfish35
13 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

When did KC/Laurel change her hair to a side part?  I seem to remember when LL1 died, she was still parting her hair in the middle so I don't think Sara would see the resemblance.

Since Sara got resurrected, at least:

tumblr_nxbh5iOJ1k1sjxzs0o1_400.gif

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

I always thought Once Upon A Time is considered a family show. And Gotham has major characters that are portrayed by kids? 

It was. But it also featured hearts being ripped out. and steamy scenes such as these. It didn't shy away from the characters having sex.

5 hours ago, WindofChange said:

This reminds me of the newbies this year. She didn't earn being an equal on the team, she demanded it. 

Laurel and the newbs are all pathetic lol

Laurel did more for the city then the newbs did. And she didn't stop fighting crime because of some feud. Apart from that, all I have to say...If Oliver can leave the city in the hands of her/Thea/Diggle while he plays honeymoon then she must be good enough to be treated with respect. 

• Love 2

Writers on both Arrow and LoT have made some questionable choices (IMO) in writing the Lance family romantic entanglements. I just saw the season 2 premiere, and Sara gets it on with the queen of France after she remembers losing Laurel, the queen making a jackass comment about "such a beautiful lady shouldn't be so sad", and this apparently makes her hot, Sara smirks and it's off to the races. Huh? It didn't even read as her trying not to think about the pain of losing her sister. It was like two separate scenes being slapped together into one and not blending that well.

Having finished the first season, I still don't much get the fascination with Sara/Snart, but I do get Sara/Rip. I felt like there was more to their interactions after Sara found out about Laurel's death in the finale, than to Sara and Snart in the previous episodes.

Killing Savage was kind of cool, although things happening simultanously at three different times doesn't make a lick of sense to me. Also, it kind of felt like Sara drew the short end of the stick. She just strangled him, no? Meanwhile, Mick roasted him, Kendra impaled him while citing his own stalkery chant and Rip then twisted the knife.

Honestly, the parts of the finale I liked best were Ray showing up as the get away driver, and Mick's departing comment to Kendra and Carter(?) making it for 5 months. Like, I don't even know what to call that dude because he's not Carter but another incarnation. I may not have been so amused had I watched it live. But knowing that maybe somewhere out there after thousands of years these two figured out they really don't work without the threat of Savage hanging over them, just makes me break out in giggles.

• Love 2

The only truly gross sibling connections in the Arrowverse for me are both the Lance sisters still wanting Oliver despite knowing about each other's history with him (and Laurel especially, since he pretty much always treated her like dirt), and Diggle lusting after his brother's wife. I don't think Sara's LI's resemblance to Laurel is too skeevy since I doubt anyone has mentioned it on show (if they have, I reserve the right to revise this statement), and I don't think she was cast for that purpose. Just an unfortunate coincidence, haha. 

• Love 2

Sara snapped Savage's neck with her staff which is the same move she used on that League guy that attacked her and Quentin. 

I never saw any comparisons to Ava and Laurel. The hair style is just their standard style. I do think it's skeevy that they had Laurel and Sara sleep with the same guy and Oliver sleeping with the same woman has his father. At least with Sara/Oliver, I could see he cared about her, while he did nothing but cheat on Laurel and act like he was bored with her. Until she died and became St. Laurel that apparently extends to her doppelganger from another Earth. 

I actually don't think Sara's LI looks anything like Laurel, aside from the similar hairstyle in that one pic. It's unfortunate.

Nothing beats the grossness of Oliver sleeping with the Lance sisters though, not just in his younger years but yet again when Sara came back, after he'd slept with Laurel again. It's like a messed up cycle of grossness. So glad that stopped. (Yes, sleeping with the same woman as his dad is also gross but it's not like he knew before it happened. He knew full well that Sara and Laurel were related. *Shudders*)

Edited by Guest
2 hours ago, apinknightmare said:

The only truly gross sibling connections in the Arrowverse for me are both the Lance sisters still wanting Oliver despite knowing about each other's history with him (and Laurel especially, since he pretty much always treated her like dirt),

And to make it worse, it didn't just stop in the past. Sara still hooked up with Oliver after they both came back from the dead. It just, to me, speaks so much about the lack of respect for her sister. But then again, Laurel threw a glass at her head so *shrugs* Such a weird relationship between those two. This is why they can never sell, to me anyway, the idea of sisterly affection. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Laurel did more for the city then the newbs did. And she didn't stop fighting crime because of some feud. Apart from that, all I have to say...If Oliver can leave the city in the hands of her/Thea/Diggle while he plays honeymoon then she must be good enough to be treated with respect. 

At that point Laurel had been a part of the team as long as (and maybe even less than) the newbs have. Not only that but she said that right after resurrecting Sara, chaining her up like an animal in a basement, then knowing Sara was out in the city hurting people without letting the team know which subsequently led to Thea being in the hospital...

She had zero right to demand being seen as an equal after what she did. 

It'd be like me losing millions of dollars for my company and then demanding a raise. It's dumb lol.

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, WindofChange said:

This reminds me of the newbies this year. She didn't earn being an equal on the team, she demanded it. 

Oh, that's unfair. She had been vigilante-ing for a whole 9 months at that point. She was totally Oliver's equal! 

51 minutes ago, SmallScreenDiva said:

And to make it worse, it didn't just stop in the past. Sara still hooked up with Oliver after they both came back from the dead. It just, to me, speaks so much about the lack of respect for her sister. But then again, Laurel threw a glass at her head so *shrugs* Such a weird relationship between those two. This is why they can never sell, to me anyway, the idea of sisterly affection. 

And then took him to a family dinner! Laurel's realization during the dinner was the only time I ever sympathized with her. The Laurel/Sara relationship has always been a mess.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Why is the Arrowverse so obsessed with that side hairstyle anyway? Maybe my hair just isn't made for that style, but I've tried it, and its super hard to keep in place. 

It's a very popular hairstyle at the moment. The side part is becoming ubiquitous.

It's like the bob was a couple of years ago.  I was at a meeting and suddenly noticed that every woman over thirty had a bob.  I went home and took a pair of scissors to my own hair.

4 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Laurel did deserve respect.  But she didn't deserve to be treated as Oliver's equal.  Only Diggle and Sara merited that. 

It's on the writers though.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

It was. But it also featured hearts being ripped out. and steamy scenes such as these. It didn't shy away from the characters having sex.

All the truly steamy passion scenes in OUaT happened in the first two seasons, specifically until halfway through the second season.   I'd make an argument that until that halfway point Once was a fantasy drama and afterwards it became a fantasy family show.  

Gotham,  I have no answers,  I can't see that being a kids show despite having Cameron and David on it. 

In regards to the incest,  I don't think Ava and Laurel look all that similar.   But it wouldn't bother me if they did,  these shows have done things far more creepy.  Aside from that, there have been studies showing that people tend to be attracted to other people based on similar personality traits and genes.   My partner and I look very similar and we were together for months before we realized that we were both of Polish/German ancestry whose family came from Buffalo, N.Y.  So the idea of Sara being attracted to someone that potentially looks like Laurel doesn't squick me out nearly as much as adoptive siblings getting married. 

Just off preliminary numbers:

• The Flash - 9.43% drop in demo, 8.72% drop in viewers
  • Black Lightning - 1.85% drop in demo (based on previous episode's preliminary unrounded of 0.538 - final unrounded not known), 10.08% drop in viewers.

Avengers: Infinity War Will Tie Into Every Single Other Movie, According To Feige And Russo
BY CONNER SCHWERDTFEGER   Feb. 26, 2018
https://www.cinemablend.com/news/2316842/avengers-infinity-war-will-tie-into-every-single-other-movie-according-to-feige-and-russo

At this point, there's little question that Avengers: Infinity War will be the biggest Marvel Cinematic Universe movie to date. The film will bring all corners of the MCU together in one massive event, and it looks like we can expect to see elements of every Marvel movie scattered through the story. In fact, Kevin Feige and Joe Russo both addressed this culmination during the "Marvel Studios: The First Ten Years - The Evolution of Heroes" special feature segment on Thor: Ragnarok's home release and laid out how every Marvel movie will feed into the Infinity War storyline. Russo explained:

"Every story that Marvel has told since Iron Man 1 finds a narrative thread in these next two Avengers movies. It is a culmination of all that storytelling."
As exciting as Joe Russo makes it sound, Kevin Feige's take on the situation arguably seems even more thorough. Addressing the comprehensive nature of the Infinity War arc, the Marvel Studios president also made it clear that Avengers: Infinity War will wrap things up and push the MCU forward in a "new direction." Per Feige:

"With Infinity War, we are paying off every little thread, every little tease, that we've had in what will be 18 films prior to Infinity War. There's never been anything like this. Being able to, film after film, tease at a larger story. Really building these stories up until a conclusion, while at the same time, introducing an entirely new direction for the future."
You can check out the "Marvel Studios: The First Ten Years - The Evolution of Heroes" segment on Thor: Ragnarok's home release, which is currently available on Digital HD and will release on Blu-ray and DVD on March 6. Looking ahead, make sure to keep an eye on all of these story threads when Avengers: Infinity War premieres in theaters on May 4.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

I know they're not calling Avengers 4 "Infinity War Part II" anymore, but does anyone else think the two films are still going to be pretty closely tied to each other?  Like maybe Infinity War ends in a cliffhanger?  Or maybe Thanos wins and everyone dies, and then Avengers 4 is about fixing it?

I don't know what the current theories are, so my apologies if I'm repeating stuff that people have been talking about for ages.

Just now, Starfish35 said:

Lol.  I thought you were being sarcastic, not serious. :D

No, I was TOTALLY being serious. Who knows what they'll call the fourth movie. I stay away from ALL spoilers regarding the Marvel Universe movies, as well as all the shows here. Hence my SQUEEING all over the place when I saw that EVUHL!FINCH! was the villain for this season. Or thought he was. Do NOT get me started on marble mush mouth Acevedo.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, WindofChange said:

At that point Laurel had been a part of the team as long as (and maybe even less than) the newbs have. Not only that but she said that right after resurrecting Sara, chaining her up like an animal in a basement, then knowing Sara was out in the city hurting people without letting the team know which subsequently led to Thea being in the hospital...

Also instead of accepting accountability for her actions she decided to turn the argument around to how she had been wronged, in a similar way that Rene, instead of taking responsibility for the fact that he was actively betraying Oliver, made himself into the wronged party to deflect the blame and responsibility off of himself. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, bijoux said:

Having finished the first season, I still don't much get the fascination with Sara/Snart, but I do get Sara/Rip. I felt like there was more to their interactions after Sara found out about Laurel's death in the finale, than to Sara and Snart in the previous episodes.

Well for me Rip is responsible for one of Sara's many deaths when he snapped her neck so that kind of puts me off shipping her with him.  I know the Legion removed his morals or something but that's not something that can be easily moved past for me. Plus he's always lying and hiding things from her. Most recently being partly to blame for Darkh's resurrection. Snart never did any of that, he changed and became a better person so Sara would notice him. 

• Love 2

If we go with Season 1, Rip's entire purpose was to try to save his wife and kid at any cost. Shipping Sara with someone that is still hung up on past love is not something I could get behind. Of course it doesn't really matter because in true Legends fashion they put Sara with someone that I don't really care about. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

I’m not shipping anyone, I’m just saying I saw more potential chemistry in that one scene between them than I did in Sara and Snart’s scenes. 

Is Rip still hung up on his wife? I mean in S3? The question is actually totally unrelated to him and Sara, or him and anyone else.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, bijoux said:

I’m not shipping anyone, I’m just saying I saw more potential chemistry in that one scene between them than I did in Sara and Snart’s scenes. 

Is Rip still hung up on his wife? I mean in S3? The question is actually totally unrelated to him and Sara, or him and anyone else.

No, he accepted his wife is gone at the end of season 1. 

Season 2 and 3 brought a different set of issues for me regarding Rip. Rip and Sara do have a following though, so you are not alone in seeing the potential chemistry. 

Edited by Sakura12

Season 1 I shipped Sara/Snart - not hard, but yeah.  It was there.  It started in the Russia episode where he was the "angel on her shoulder" ,so to speak, about shooting Stein, telling her she didn't have to be that person.  

I didn't start shipping Sara and Rip until into the second half of season two I think, and I'm not totally sure what got me into it then.  I guess the change in their statuses helped, with him no longer being the Captain.  And I loved Return of the Mack in season three, but then they kind of blew it up.  Although, I know it's bad, but I've never shipped it harder than when Rip was pleading with Sara at the end of that episode. 

Sara and Ava I don't so much care about (it figures that the canon ship would be the one I don't care about).  I don't hate Ava anymore, and I don't hate AvaLance, but it does nothing for me.  I've just accepted that it is a thing that is, and am just focusing on enjoying all the rest of the show. 

• Love 1

I enjoy Legends and they write wonderful friendships (enjoyed Amaya and Mick this week too) but their ships do nothing for me. The cast have good friendly chemistry but are the pits when it comes to romance imo. And that includes my beloved Ray who I don't think has any good romantic chemistry with anyone after Felicity.

Actually there was a spark with Lily. I don't think it was intentional but I thought he had a spark with Lily.

• Love 2

I do still low-level ship Sara and Rip, just kind of an ongoing simmer.  If the show ever let it go there, they'd be fun to watch and I do give him a pass for when he wasn't in his right mind.  It's not like Sara's never tried to kill him, lol.  

I really wish I could get behind Nate and Amaya but I barely can get behind Nate most of the time.  I think the closest I came was at the beginning of this season because I finally bought into both of them really caring.  Now Nate is back to annoying me most of the time, though on so much lower a level than any of the newbs.  I can't even stand to watch the promo for Arrow right now.  Rene starts talking and I get so pissed I have to get him off my screen even though normally I LIKE seeing the advertisement for Arrow, even when it's not very interesting.  

I'm also really missing Arrow on Wednesdays today.  I actually liked it when it was Supergirl, Flash, Arrow, and then end the week with something light and fun with LoT.  It's fun to start the week with LoT but I hate waiting for Arrow.  And if it pisses me off, there will be nothing to unpiss me off, lol.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Ray and Lily made sense as well as sparked.  I will be forever sad that she married someone else.

It's funny how LoT is the best of the shows and has the worst canon romantic relationships.

Worst? Worse than Supergirl? ;) 

I did like the idea of Ray and Lily - they were cute.  And I'm still interested in Ray and Zari too, but they haven't really done much with them the last couple of episodes, other than admire megalomaniacs' penmanship. :)

(edited)

You know I was thinking about the ratings for LoT and how it doesn't really jive with the positive critical reviews its been getting...

LoT is no doubt the best written DCTV show right now, so why doesn't that translate in viewers? It's weird to me but I think it's because people can drop the show easily without missing it. It's basically what happened to me, I dropped it before watching 209 because I got busy and I didn't really find myself missing it to the point where I needed to know what was going to happen.

It's not a show that inspires a lot of passion or investment. It's a show where you like all the characters and it's fun while you watch it but forget about it quickly. Other metrics for this is that it never trended as much, less comments in the comment sections, less interactions online overall... 

It's a shame it has low ratings though especially considering Flash (the one show that not only is the worst written but inspires no investment/passion) consistently has the highest DCTV ratings (although that's not saying much considering how much they're hemorrhaging viewers this season)

Edited by WindofChange
  • Love 5

I can’t speak for other viewers, but that’s how I watch it. I may have fun while the episode is akrint, but I’m not invested and won’t bemoan if I miss something. Like, the season 2 premiere was amusing, but I wasn’t left with the feeling of oh, my God, what’s going to happen next, how is the season gonna go? I’m not saying that’s wong, just that LoT is a light, frothy show.

• Love 2
(edited)

Well, am deeply invested in Legends right now, but I realize I'm not the norm.  It seems like shipping (and sometimes ship wars) is what drives most online investment and passion, however, and Legends is more about the team family than about shipping.  I personally prefer that, but that's just the way I am.  As I said over in the Legends Relationships thread, I can and do ship, but when I really get obsessed with a show/get involved with fandom for a show, probably 95% of the time it's more about teams, family, and friendships than about romantic shipping. 

ETA: I don't mean that to sound like I think there's anything wrong with shipping.  I don't! Not at all!  It's just not what tends to drive my personal fannish investment level.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

I really wish I could get behind Nate and Amaya but I barely can get behind Nate most of the time.  I think the closest I came was at the beginning of this season because I finally bought into both of them really caring.  Now Nate is back to annoying me most of the time, though on so much lower a level than any of the newbs. 

That's funny - I'm kind of the opposite.  Nate was at his worst for me at the beginning of the season.  I wanted someone to slap him for how he acted about Amaya leaving.  Right now, though, I'm actually warming up to him.  I like him better with the rest of the crew than with Amaya, but I'm even ok with them as long as they're just having sexy fun and it's not all the "my destiny!" drama.   But Nate was really good with Mick in the Vietnam episode, and he and Zari teaming up in the time-loop episode was hilarious.  And I think they've managed to differentiate him from Ray in personality enough now that I'm not getting so annoyed by the two of them together as I used to.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 2
(edited)

Legends of Tomorrow: Constantine returning for finale
NATALIE ABRAMS February 28, 2018 
http://ew.com/tv/2018/02/28/legends-of-tomorrow-constantine-finale/

Matt Ryan has officially signed on to appear in the season finale of DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, EW has learned.

The actor was already slated to pop back up as John Constantine in episode 15, but will now also appear in the finale, though details on what brings him back into the fold are being kept under wraps. Rumors of his appearance were first teased when Nick Zano posted a photo on Instagram, in which a man who looks like the demonologist detective appeared.

Ryan won’t be the only familiar face popping up in the season ender. Jonathan Schaech will also reprise his role as Jonah Hex, while Franz Drameh will return as Jax. The latter exited Legends as a series regular earlier this season after the other half of Firestorm, Stein (Victor Garber), was killed off the show. But with the fire totem bouncing around, could Jax somehow get his powers back?

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2