Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

8 hours ago, tv echo said:

Mod said that, unlike Captain America and Iron Man, we know a lot about the parents of the panelists' characters and those parental relationships affect their characters.

In the Movies? Howard Stark is a supporting character in CA:TFA and Agent Carter. Tony's relationship with his parents is a plot point in IM2, The Avengers and Civil War.  Odin and Frigga and their relationship with Thor and Loki are also fairly prevalent in three movies. 

Steve does lose out here though. We know his father died, but his mom brought him up. Since we got that BARF scene with young Tony, Howard and Maria in CW, I wished they'd thrown in a flashback to Steve and Sarah as well. 

Edited by Vera
  • Love 8

Yeah, I was like "wait...what" on that parent thing too. For one thing, since when do you have to know someones parent issues to understand their character? As @Vera said, Tony's dad is a major supporting characters in the entire MCU, and Tony's parent issues and his feelings towards their deaths are a really big thing throughout his movies, and Odin and Frigga and their relationships with their sons are a HUGE part of all three Thor movies. Plus, you had some Hopes father issues in Ant-Man, and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is basically "Parent Issues in space",so while I dont know how every people in the MCU feels about their parents, its not something thats exactly ignored. 

I would like to see flashbacks of Stevw and his mother Sarah though. I generally would like a few flashbacks to his pre super serum life, I think it would give more context to who he is now. 

• Love 4

Kara may have gotten her Buns of Steel handed to her by Reign during Supergirl‘s fall finale, but a new development in 2018 could turn her luck around.

Krys Marshall (This Is Us) will recur in the second half of the CW drama’s third season, TVLine has learned exclusively, playing Julia Freeman, a 20-something musician living near National City who holds clues to Reign’s true identity.

In addition to appearing on This Is Us, Marshall’s small-screen credits include roles on One Day at a Time, NCIS and How I Met Your Mother.

http://tvline.com/2017/12/12/supergirl-spoilers-season-3-casting-news-krys-marshall/

Marc Guggenheim on Potential Future Seasons of 'Arrow' and 'Legends of Tomorrow'
By CHARLIE RIDGELY - December 11, 2017
http://comicbook.com/dc/2017/12/11/arrow-legends-of-tomorrow-new-season-plans-guggenheim/

During an exclusive interview with ComicBook.com, Marc Guggenheim, executive producer of Arrow and Legends of Tomorrow, revealed that there are already plans in place for the potential new seasons of both shows.

"Yeah, you know, our minds in the writing room start to [naturally] wonder towards the next season," Guggenheim told us.

"I would say on Legends we have an idea for what I will call the raison d'etre of Season 4," the producer continued. "Like, I think each Season has had a raison d'etre. And we have, for Arrow, a plan for the Big Bad. I can't say that both will absolutely come to pass, because we always give ourselves the freedom to come up with a better idea. And that does happen on occasion. But I would describe it as some really nice clarity about where both shows would be going in their subsequent seasons. We don't have official pickups on either one but we're kind of expecting them. The ratings have been pretty good this year."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

I love Itsjustsomerandomguy.  I need to catch up on his stuff.  Some of his original stories told with the action figures are just excellent as well.

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

The 10 Most Disappointing Shows of 2017
by Jason Lynch   December 13, 2017
http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/the-10-most-disappointing-shows-of-2017/

6. Marvel’s Iron Fist (Netflix)
Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage … the first three “street-level” heroes around which Marvel created this Netflix series, building up to their team-up in this summer’s The Defenders, certainly held their own and commanded the attention of audiences. But that streak unfortunately skidded to a halt with the company’s fourth Netflix series lead, Iron Fist. Played by Finn Jones, the character ultimately had neither the charisma or supporting cast to gallop with the others in Netflix’s stable. Iron Fist was a drag on The Defenders as well, but at least the other three heroes provided camouflage. No such luck in Iron Fist, which was the first Marvel live-action series to be entirely skippable, though it wasn't the last (even in this list).
2. Marvel’s Inhumans (ABC)
DC has been deservedly dragged through the coals post-Justice League, but in its ongoing competition with Marvel, at least the company can take comfort in the fact that it has never made a worse movie or TV show than Marvel’s Inhumans (no, not even Green Lantern!). It wasn’t just that the series was awful and laughably low-budget, but Marvel decided to double-down on the wretchedness by airing the first two episodes in Imax theaters for two weeks, where its flaws were amplified on the country’s largest movie screens. Even though the series—which already finished its season—is probably gone for good, its failure deals another blow to Marvel’s possibly overextended TV brand.

1. Every show starring, or made by, someone accused of sexual harassment
The first sexual harassment allegations against Harvey Weinstein just 10 weeks ago emboldened hundreds of people to come forward with their own devastating tales of alleged sexual harassment and assault in Hollywood—and elsewhere—during the past several decades. This list of affected TV shows is unfortunately growing by the day, but currently includes Today (Matt Lauer), House of Cards (Kevin Spacey), The Early Show (Charlie Rose), Transparent (Jeffrey Tambor), Project Runway/Six/Scream (executive producer Weinstein), The Royals (showrunner Mark Schwahn), The Chew (Mario Batali), Better Things/Baskets/One Mississippi (executive producer Louis C.K.), Wisdom of the Crowd (Jeremy Piven), The Circus (Mark Halperin), Arrow/The Flash/Supergirl/DC's Legends of Tomorrow (executive producer Andrew Kreisberg), The Ranch (Danny Masterson), Prison Break/iZombie (Robert Knepper) and literally every Amazon show (ousted Amazon Studios chief Roy Price). Most of these men have already been let go from their respective shows as a result of investigations surrounding the allegations, while the fate of others remain up in the air.

The pain that these men allegedly caused their victims—and in many cases, the toxic environments they created at their shows—is most heinous of all. Beyond that, they have also tainted their respective shows by association. While most of these programs can (and likely will) shoulder on without them, they’ll do so with a stigma that audiences may not be able to shake.

10. Friends From College (Netflix)
9. Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders (NBC)
8. Gypsy (Netflix)
7. The Young Pope (HBO)
5. The Gong Show (ABC)
4. Taboo (FX)
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, tv echo said:

The 10 Most Disappointing Shows of 2017
by Jason Lynch   December 13, 2017
http://www.adweek.com/tv-video/the-10-most-disappointing-shows-of-2017/

10. Friends From College (Netflix)
9. Law & Order True Crime: The Menendez Murders (NBC)
8. Gypsy (Netflix)
7. The Young Pope (HBO)
5. The Gong Show (ABC)
4. Taboo (FX)
3. Curb Your Enthusiasm (HBO)

I tend to agree with this. I have watched the shows since the Kreisberg news but Ive lost a lot of enthusiasm for the Arrowverse as a whole since the disgusting bts stuff come out coupled with MG's reverse sexism and the Arrow casts pack mentality "he has a daughter!" defense of Ricks poorly phrased and kind of condescending comments.  

• Love 3
On 12/9/2017 at 1:16 PM, thegirlsleuth said:

They started Season 5 with OTA and all the newbies (pre-Dinah)  all working together and interacting, but I have to say that didn't work either, at least for me.  I still didn't care about the newbies, and there were a lot of situations in which there were too many people trying to talk.  This was especially true for Renee. I think by the second half of the season they realized they needed to fill out some of the secondary characters and began giving them smaller scenes with each other.

One think I've noticed is that Oliver and Curtis really don't click.  I know we've talking about how sometimes Amell has anti-chemistry with people romantically, but I think he also has anti-chemistry with Curtis.  I have no reason to believe there is any personal dislike behind it, but there's something about when they talk to each other, with different energy levels and dynamics, that almost makes them seem like they are reading the scene completely differently.  I'm not explaining this clearly, but the rhythm of their scenes is always off and Amell pulls out his blank face more often.

Just throwing it out there, but maybe the dynamic between Curtis and Oliver doesn't work because Curtis is basically a male version of Felicity?  I don't know if I just noticed it this season, but it really seems that most of Curtis' lines could easily be things that Felicity says and they both have the habit of rambling for too long relative to the urgency of a situation and saying things that the average person might think unwise to say.  And Oliver's very broody and no-nonsense when it comes to superhero activities so combine those two mannerisms together, and I feel like the dynamic between them comes off as stiff.  Oliver's in love with Felicity so her rambles and comments are cuter and break through his brooding.  Curtis with his current personality is redundant.

Dinah has potential but she feels very one note a lot of the time as she's too broody and she doesn't get many scenes at all of her being playful or flirty or vulnerable.  The writers didn't develop her at all in Season 5 except for her intro episode and it seems her feud with Black Siren has been dropped.  Whatever her relationship with Quentin was in the beginning of season 6 was also dropped.  I feel like her character would almost benefit from a romance, because at least we'd see a different side of her, being more flirty or softer, but there's no one to pair her with that would allow large amounts of time to showcase the romance without sacrificing the plot.  Oliver's married, Curtis is gay, Dinah would never get with Renee, and Diggle, who she's got great chemistry and sexual tension with, is also married with a kid.

Renee's the most developed of the newbies and that's probably when the writers chose him as the betrayer.

• Love 3

I think the difference between Curtis and Felicity is that Curtis comes off like a caricature, one that tries too hard to be quirky and funny then he acheives, while Felicity is far more developed and three dimensional then Curtis is as a character. 

• Love 18

Curtis's character comes off as more loud, obnoxious and awkward but also quite jaded and not particularly positive or endearing at the same time which is why I don't think he works with Oliver.

Ray, despite being on one side of my favourite S3 love triangle, had a good chemistry with Oliver (imo). I loved the scenes that BR did share with SA and Oliver was actually very sweet to Ray (bahahahaha way sweeter than he was to Laurel) when he was giving him his pep talk on how to be a hero.

I think the difference is that Ray and Felicity are bubbly but they are inherently very positive and sweet. Oliver needs positive and sweet. In his very brief scenes with Ray I always got the impression that despite Ray being a love rival he was somewhat amused by him. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

Curtis's character comes off as more loud, obnoxious and awkward but also quite jaded and not particularly positive or endearing at the same time which is why I don't think he works with Oliver.

Ray, despite being on one side of my favourite S3 love triangle, had a good chemistry with Oliver (imo). I loved the scenes that BR did share with SA and Oliver was actually very sweet to Ray (bahahahaha way sweeter than he was to Laurel) when he was giving him his pep talk on how to be a hero.

I think the difference is that Ray and Felicity are bubbly but they are inherently very positive and sweet. Oliver needs positive and sweet. In his very brief scenes with Ray I always got the impression that despite Ray being a love rival he was somewhat amused by him. 

I think you have a very good point about Curtis, for as similar to Felicity as they write his lines, he is really not a positive person.  He is a "lighter" character but I swear he never stops complaining or whining. So even jokes that had someone else said it, I might be willing to just take the corny laugh, I find less humorous because of where it's coming from.  I guess he's always been more of the cynic but his enthusiasm would gloss over that.  And still, when he does stop rehashing his personal tragedies, I usually like him better but like this thing with Paul and how he's totally rewritten his part in the break up and now being so mortally offended by the team tracking him WHEN THEY HAD A KNOWN TRAITOR in their midst, makes him so unsympathetic.  I really still want to like Curtis.  I miss liking Curtis.  But he's made it so hard since he's joined the team.  

• Love 15
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

I really still want to like Curtis.  I miss liking Curtis.  But he's made it so hard since he's joined the team.  

Me too. I did really like Curtis when he was first introduced as Felicity nice, funny work friend, who became an occasional ally to the team. I was actually alright with him joining the team and getting some character development, and if that had happened, I think I could have still liked him. But, they never really developed him beyond a secondary character status. He still feels like just comic relief or a supporting character, and not an actual main character who gets significant screen time. Really, the only new thing we`ve learned from him is that he is pretty whiny, and always wants to blame other people for his own life choices. He also has weirdly become more of an asshole as the show has gone on, when normally its the opposite when a character gets more development, especially on a show like this. They still write him like a minor character who exists to drop funny one liners a few times an episode. 

Another thing that really bugs me about Curtis, and makes him not work the way other characters who have similar personalities do (Felicity, Ray, Barry, Cisco), is that the guy is always ON. Curtis never stops making snappy one liners and bad jokes and he rambles on and on at the worst possible times, and it stops being endearing or funny, and just becomes awkward and self centered. Its not always about you Curtis! Most of the aforementioned characters do similar things, but they all have moods other than "dorky one liners and nerd rambles*, and they know when its time to just be serious or get to the damn point or show an actual emotion. They're actually developed characters who have more going on then just enthusiastic rambling, and you could see why even a hard ass like Oliver would find them amusing and likable. The only time Curtis shows any change is when he goes from *dorky ramblings* to *bitter dorky ramblings*, and it makes it harder to find his awkwardness endearing. I just want someone to yell "GET TO THE POINT CURTIS!" or possibly "A GUY JUST DIED CURTIS STOP MAKING JOKES!" 

• Love 13

The only time Curtis shows any change is when he goes from *dorky ramblings* to *bitter dorky ramblings*, and it makes it harder to find his awkwardness endearing. I just want someone to yell "GET TO THE POINT CURTIS!" or possibly "A GUY JUST DIED CURTIS STOP MAKING JOKES!" 

Maybe in the upcoming storyline with the OTA vs the NTA they might give him a chance to talk about what makes him be insensitive or rambly or why he would go from fangirling Oliver and Felicity's relationship to basically being bitter they were happy.  I think if we could just have a moment of him confessing how much a mess he really is and not liking that part of himself, I could be so much more sympathetic but we dont' get those kinds of personal insights or confessions and yeah, that's part of what keeps him feeling like 2nd stringer that isn't important.

• Love 11
11 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

Maybe in the upcoming storyline with the OTA vs the NTA they might give him a chance to talk about what makes him be insensitive or rambly or why he would go from fangirling Oliver and Felicity's relationship to basically being bitter they were happy.  I think if we could just have a moment of him confessing how much a mess he really is and not liking that part of himself, I could be so much more sympathetic but we dont' get those kinds of personal insights or confessions and yeah, that's part of what keeps him feeling like 2nd stringer that isn't important.

I can kind of understand why he'd be in a bad mood at the wedding of two super loved up friends given his own divorce, even though he's been meta-d as the show's resident shipper, but he really was rewriting history with Paul there, so i'd like him to gain a little insight into that. That's no excuse for his bitter drunk rant at the microphone though, but I did like how Oliver and Felicity didn't make a big deal out of it and just signalled to Rene to step in (setting up his betrayal later), much better way to handle things than the Flash writers having Iris toss Olicity's wedding gift on the return pile.

Curtis wanted to be a vigilante in the beginning, even though he was bad at it and just a few episodes ago he acted very offended when Dig had him "just" running coms because Felicity wasn't around. Dude you wanted this no one pushed you into it or forced you to lie to your husband. He annoyed me almost as much as Nate talking about "nerd squads" and "geeks" as though he isn't a PHd historian who supposedly speaks a ton of languages and has degrees in All of History. 

• Love 16

I agree that Curtis just never seems to be off,like he's incapable of taking anything seriously.I don't think Felicity was ever written like that,not even in season 1,so over the top with the one liners and references.I think that might be because pretty soon they knew she would have a bigger role and be Oliver's LI so they didn't look at her as just comic relief,at least for very long.Curtis seems to be comic relief first,an actual character second.I didn't like him that much in season 4 either tbh but at least he wasn't a huge hypocrite.

Edited by tangerine95
  • Love 3

It happened, Disney bought Fox. This will move will probably help people buy their streaming service.  

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-disney-buys-21st-century-fox-20171214-story.html

The deal gives Disney film businesses including Twentieth Century Fox, Fox Searchlight Pictures and Fox 2000, which together are the homes of Avatar, X-Men, Fantastic Four and Deadpool. On the television side, Disney will get Twentieth Century Fox Television, FX Productions and Fox21, with shows including "The Simpsons" and "Modern Family."

I wonder how this will affect Deadpool, Disney doesn't really do R rated. I also kind of hope they keep the X-Men franchise a separate movie franchise from the MCU. As fun as it would be to see the X-Men with the Avengers, they already have enough characters to deal with. I think suddenly throwing in the X-Men would mess that up.  I also don't know how this will affect the DC properties with Gotham and Lucifer. 

I guess in a few years we can expect the world to be owned by Disney and Amazon. 

Edited by Sakura12
9 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

It happened, Disney bought Fox. This will move will probably help people buy their streaming service.  

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-disney-buys-21st-century-fox-20171214-story.html

I wonder how this will affect Deadpool, Disney doesn't really do R rated. I also kind of hope they keep the X-Men franchise a separate movie franchise from the MCU. As fun as it would be to see the X-Men with the Avengers, they already have enough characters to deal with. I think suddenly throwing in the X-Men would mess that up.  I also don't know how this will affect the DC properties with Gotham and Lucifer. 

I guess in a few years we can expect the world to be owned by Disney and Amazon. 

Disney does R rated they just release it under a different studio (Miramax?).  Hell, Punisher certainly is an R Marvel show. I'll wait and see how they handle it.

• Love 5

I agree with what everyone has said about Curtis.  I mean,  I don't think he ever needed to be more than recurring because he is basically a black,  gay mash up of Felicity and Ray,  but he lacks their optimism and more importantly he lacks their sense of purpose.   We know why Felicity and Ray do what they do.   Ray started for Anna and it grew into something bigger.   Curtis got mugged and decided to become a seriously untrained vigilante.  He chose it over his husband, which is so incredibly selfish that it rivals Barry fucking Allen.  Then he blames other people like they were all like,  "Yeah,  screw Paul the lack of sleep,  constant bruises and threat of jail or death is totally better. "  He's so self indulgent.   19 year old Thea had no problem stepping back because she needed to focus on herself but Curtis couldn't be bothered to do the same.   I'm glad he left the team,  he needs a therapist. 

Hmm,  when I thought of dystopian futures with corporations in charge  j really didn't expect it to be those two. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 12

Why The Arrow-verse Crossover Decided To Kill That Character Off
BY LAURA HURLEY   DECEMBER 13, 2017
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/1743940/why-the-arrow-verse-crossover-decided-to-kill-that-character-off

... Martin Stein was killed after being shot by Nazis on Earth-X, dying in the final installment of the four-part crossover. The death made for a heartbreaking twist in an action-packed event. I recently spoke with Legends of Tomorrow and Arrow executive producer Marc Guggenheim, and he told me this about the decision to kill Martin rather than write him off:

"To be honest, we always gravitate towards the things that have the most emotional resonance as well as the things we've never done before. Certainly killing off Martin as opposed to writing off Martin just had a lot more emotional resonance. For me, the high point of the whole crossover is that scene where Martin dies. You wouldn't have gotten as much emotional resonance out of the scene where Martin just says goodbye. And then also one of the very first things we talked about when we talked about the crossover was we wanted to do something that we'd never done before in a crossover and that was to kill off a character. Not as a stunt or a gimmick but again, as writers, there are certain tools you have in your toolbox for how to get at those deeper, more emotionally resonant and killing off a character happens to be one of them. We had never done that on the crossovers before, and this was our fourth crossover. We were looking at ideas that would up the emotional stakes but also do so in a way that we hadn't done in previous crossovers. In many ways, it's awful because it's so emotionally gut-wrenching and it's so emotionally gut-wrenching because it's awful."

Martin Stein was always going to leave Legends of Tomorrow sooner rather than later in Season 3, as actor Victor Garber had landed a job that would take him to Broadway on a full-time basis, but we didn't know for quite a long time just how Martin would make his big exit. ...

According to Marc Guggenheim, the decision to kill off Martin Stein had nothing to do with trying to pull off a stunt or gimmick on audiences. Instead, he and the rest of the folks behind the scenes decided to do something that hadn't been done on an Arrow-verse crossover before. Rather than simply repeating a plot twist that had happened in one or more of the past crossovers, "Crisis On Earth-X" killed Martin and left him dead with no time travel shenanigans to save his life. In fact, the very next episode of Legends of Tomorrow addressed the possibility of stopping Martin from doing what he did that resulted in his death. Martin chose not to meddle with time, and Jax chose to depart the Waverider, at least for a time.
"[Victor Garber] was incredible. I think Franz [Drameh] was incredible. That scene between the two of them where Stein dies in Jax's arms is, I would put that scene up against anything else on television. It really is a testament to these two guys, these two actors. That scene is a very long scene particularly by broadcast television standards, particularly in the midst of a crossover, and there were a lot of moments out of that scene we could have cut just to make it shorter, but the performances were just so good. We couldn't bring ourselves to do it."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

You know, I hadn't thought about it, but that scene was long. There was nothing rushed about it. That's probably why it had so much emotional resonance, it paused for those gut-wrenching moments of silence and reaction.

The thought that stays with me most two weeks later is Martin's line: "How could a father do any less?" Said with so much love in his voice. Lots of people say, "You're like a son/daughter to me", and it's a pretty statement - but Martin backed that up in the greatest way possible. To him, Jax was his son, and he would as willingly give up his own life for Jax as he would have done for Lily. That is so moving to me.

I know a few people cringed at the optics on the last Flash episode, so I'll just add: we watched an older white man deliberately allow himself to die because he loved a young, black man like a father would.

• Love 12
2 hours ago, Sakura12 said:

Well here's what I'm wondering.  Is that still happening, or is that just going to be Hulu now? Because I didn't realize until reading about this over the last couple of days that this whole deal basically gives Disney control of Hulu, so....are they going to still go ahead with another streaming service, or did they just buy one? 

2 hours ago, Delphi said:

Hmm,  when I thought of dystopian futures with corporations in charge  j really didn't expect it to be those two. 

Lol. :)

Here's a quote from Bob Iger regarding Hulu:

Iger said that the deal would give Hulu, which it will now own 60% of alongside Comcast’s NBCUniversal unit and Time Warner, a “great opportunity” to expand and compete with the likes of Netflix and Amazon.

“Owning a third of [Hulu] was great but having control will allow us to greatly accelerate Hulu into that space and become an even greater competitor to those already out there. We’ll be able to do that not only by putting more content in Hulu’s direction but by essentially having control to the extent that managing Hulu becomes a little bit more clear, efficient and effective,” he said.

Asked about content spending plans at Hulu, which is in an arms race with streaming rivals Netflix and Amazon, he said it would be “premature to speculate” ahead of the deal close but said it had “some time to consider that”.

“We do know that if we decide to increase our original spending on Hulu, we certainly have the intellectual property-creating possibilities far more than we did before this acquisition,” he added.

http://deadline.com/2017/12/disney-fox-deal-bob-iger-digital-future-hulu-and-2b-cost-savings-1202226884/

2 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Disney does R rated they just release it under a different studio (Miramax?).  Hell, Punisher certainly is an R Marvel show. I'll wait and see how they handle it.

Disney also released plenty of R-rated movies under the Hollywood Pictures banner during its heyday back in the 90s.

• Love 1
43 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Well here's what I'm wondering.  Is that still happening, or is that just going to be Hulu now? Because I didn't realize until reading about this over the last couple of days that this whole deal basically gives Disney control of Hulu, so....are they going to still go ahead with another streaming service, or did they just buy one? 

Lol. :)

Here's a quote from Bob Iger regarding Hulu:

http://deadline.com/2017/12/disney-fox-deal-bob-iger-digital-future-hulu-and-2b-cost-savings-1202226884/

They would now own a controlling share in Hulu but the other shares belong to Comcast and Warner Brothers. They probably would not want to share with those two. I would think they would still make their own streaming service that would allow some Hulu content to be available on it. 

With the R rated content I was going more with making the X Man franchise part of the MCU which has no R rated content. The TV side is separate from the movies. Kevin Feige has nothing to do with them. So for TV they can make TV-M. As for making a new cinematic universe with the X-Men franchise they can then do whatever they want, which is what I think they should do. 

X-Men isn't R-rated, is it? I know Deadpool was, but I didn't think Deadpool was part of the X-Men universe. (Movie verse, I mean, not comics.)  But then, I've kind of lost track of even what's going on with X-Men lately.  The last X-Men movie I saw was Days of Future Past.

aaaaaaaad never mind! Wikipedia tells me that Deadpool is part of the X-Men universe.  I did not know that!  And I guess Logan was R-rated too.  

Here's a Variety article about this:

Disney’s $52.4 billion agreement to buy 21st Century Fox’s entertainment assets is good news for fanboys and fangirls.

The company was quick to tout that the pact “provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Deadpool with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love.” In other words, that means that Wolverine and Iron Man could soon be teaming up to save the world from alien invaders looking for new worlds to exploit, Nazi scientists shaking off the after-effects of a long cryogenic freeze, or whatever fresh planetary threat that Kevin Feige, dean of all thing MCU, can concoct.

In a call with investors and analysts shortly after the deal was unveiled, Disney chief Bob Iger referenced those possibilities by saying, “Bringing Disney and Fox together will combine some of the world’s most iconic entertainment franchises.”

Fox has long had access to the Fantastic Four and the X-Men, beloved figures from the Marvel canon, through long-standing licensing deals that predate Disney’s 2009 acquisition of the comic book company. The studio once licensed Daredevil, but allowed those rights to expire, which enabled Disney to create a Netflix show around the blind lawyer turned vigilante. With the deal for Fox, that leaves Sony as the only outside studio currently licensing major Marvel characters. Sony makes films around the Spider-Man universe of characters, though Marvel has been able to insert the wall crawler into its long-standing cinematic universe thanks to a pact that saw the studio nab a producing credit on last summer’s “Spider-Man: Homecoming.”

And even under the Disney umbrella, Deadpool could remain R-rated, Iger revealed. “‘Deadpool’ is an interesting one,” he said Thursday morning. “There might be an opportunity for a Marvel R-rated brand, as long as we let audiences know that it’s coming.”

• Love 1

I wonder if they'll kind of do what the Arrowverse did with Supergirl, and create a sort of multiverse type deal with the X Men. The multiverse exists in most Marvel continuities, and that means they dont have to ret con all X Men in there, or reboot the whole franchise to fit into the established MCU, but they can still do cross overs? I think that might be the easiest route. While I certainly want to see the X Men and company meeting the MCU crew, it would be kind of a pain to try to work them into their established mythology, unless they just announced that the X Gene had started right now, which would basically be a whole new series with a whole new set of backstories for their characters. With a multiverse, they can have the characters meet without a lot of continuity problems, and that sounds pretty awesome. I mean, I always assumed they were in the same multiverse anyway, with Stan Lee showing up allover the place. 

The Fantastic Four, on the other hand, can be folded into the main MCU pretty easily. Lord knows we dont need to preserve the continuities of their movies...

• Love 4
11 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The Fantastic Four, on the other hand, can be folded into the main MCU pretty easily. Lord knows we dont need to preserve the continuities of their movies...

Lol, what I was thinking.

Where is X-Men at right now? I mean, I know they're putting out two new movies this year, plus Deadpool 2, but I'm not sure anymore where they are in their continuity.  What would they lose if Disney decides to start over like they did with Spider-Man? (Other than the issue of why mutants haven't shown up in the MCU before now.) Honest question - I really don't know, because I haven't been keeping up with them.  Hugh Jackman is already out anyway from my understanding, and his Wolverine was arguably the most popular character.    Is there a way to reboot the X-Men without losing Deadpool? Or is his movie(s) that interconnected with the current X-Men continuity?

• Love 1

The newest X-Men movie Dark Phoenix is coming out next year and it takes place in the 90's. They also have New Mutants coming out as well. The only character from the X-Men movies in Deadpool is Colossus and he's a different character than one in X-Men movies. Otherwise they mention the X-Men but none of them are ever shown. When Colossus told Deadpool he was taking him to Professor X, Deadpool asked if it was Stewart or McAvoy.  He can probably exist anywhere with his 4th wall breaking and make fun of the fact that Mickey Mouse is now his boss. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

So Deadpool could move over fairly easily, it sounds like.   

With X-Men, though....I guess what I meant was, I'm not sure where the story went after DOFP, because it seemed like that was kind of a reset anyway.  I know they have a new cast now, but I'm not sure where the storyline went after that.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Where is X-Men at right now? I mean, I know they're putting out two new movies this year, plus Deadpool 2, but I'm not sure anymore where they are in their continuity.  What would they lose if Disney decides to start over like they did with Spider-Man? (Other than the issue of why mutants haven't shown up in the MCU before now.) Honest question - I really don't know, because I haven't been keeping up with them.  Hugh Jackman is already out anyway from my understanding, and his Wolverine was arguably the most popular character.    Is there a way to reboot the X-Men without losing Deadpool? Or is his movie(s) that interconnected with the current X-Men continuity?

I don't think they know where any of them are in Continuity. They're still in the 80s? 

Deadpool 2 is scheduled for next year and supposed to lead into an X-Force movie. Deadpool is really the only R Rated X-Men series and is pretty separate from the main X Movies (at this point).

Gambit is still planned? I think it just got a new Director. 

Dark Phoenix is filming.

My guess is Disney/Marvel will introduce FF (Kang, Surfer and Galactus) into the MCU first, easiest to integrate and has had horrible versions so this would be welcomed by fans.

They may keep X-Men separate or perform a reboot to introduce them to the MCU. I don't know that it would be a priority for them and probably wouldn't be something we'd see until after 2021 at the earliest.

As for keeping Deadpool R I'm reminded of the same fandom bullshit surrounding Rogue One oh Disney would never kill protagonists!

Disney is a company out to make money and Marvel studios is just one of their film studios. I think Disney will keep Deadpool movies R. Integrating Deadpool into the MCU i.e. having him show up in Spider-man or Avengers or Captain movies would end up PG 13 per usual but that's easy to do with Deadpool.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

How will they reconcile the 2 versions of Quicksilver, 1 dead and 1 alive?

Kill FOX version bring MCU version back...that's my preference ?

You have Wanda who's MCU powers originated with an Infinity stone. Maybe after the events of Avengers 3 and 4 she goes crazy and creates or brings in an AU where The X-Men/Mutants residence thus bringing the FOX stuff back into play?

Or you have Guardians 3 and Warlock that could mess with the Time/Space/Reality stones to bring FF/XMen into the MCU?

Or they could go a totally different way and have the X-Men born from events with Avengers 4. In this case mutants start manifesting after Infinity War 2 and start fresh, Prof X, Magneto the real First Class (Scott, Jean, Warren, Bobby, Hank) and have mutants been something totally new.

Actually that would probably be the best because then you can easily tie Mutants/Anti-mutant agenda to people reaction to fear/hatred of Thanos and his war that came to Earth.

Of course I have absolutely no idea how Avengers 3 or 4 will play out. Nor any clue as to when Marvel/Disney might even consider bringing Mutants or FF back into play.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

Was Brian Singer still the X-Men main guy? I know he's credited on The Gifted. I'm wondering if Marvel/Disney will put Feige in charge of all things Marvel. (I hope so.) Wait. Except Deadpool. They have a good thing going on there. Leave it be. 

From what I'm reading, it sounds like Deadpool will be fine. 

I'm guessing they will eventually end up rebooting X-Men, though, and starting over, rather than doing the multiverse thing.  It would obviously be a few years down the road, and FF would probably come first (since the last attempt at that franchise bombed so hard), but seeing as how they've kept their post-Avengers 4 plans so much under wraps (and yeah I know part of that is to keep from spoiling who dies in Avengers 4) other than a Spider-Man sequel and GotG3,  they have lots of places they could go with this in their post-Phase 3 planning.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1

FYI...

Has Bryan Singer’s Hollywood Empire Finally Crumbled?
IRA MADISON III   December 11, 2017
https://www.thedailybeast.com/has-bryan-singers-empire-finally-crumbled

Last week, when Bryan Singer was fired from the Freddie Mercury biopic Bohemian Rhapsody, it was a bit like seeing a mobster go down for tax evasion. After all, Singer has been hounded by sexual assault allegations for years and in the midst of the #MeToo movement, the news that he was being removed from a studio film so close to completion seemed like an indicator that a story about sexual misconduct was about to drop.

Not that his firing wasn’t salacious enough—the reports that he’d gone missing from the film’s set for days, had fights with star Rami Malek, and had a history of vanishing from film sets like Superman Returns and X-Men: Apocalypse highlighted how Singer’s career was the epitome of Hollywood’s white male privilege problem. He’d been rewarded for years for unprofessional behavior that would get women and directors of color fired. But as it often seems in this Hollywood climate, a swift firing does indeed mean that the other shoe is about to drop.
... (Read more)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, calliope1975 said:

Was Brian Singer still the X-Men main guy? I know he's credited on The Gifted. I'm wondering if Marvel/Disney will put Feige in charge of all things Marvel. (I hope so.) Wait. Except Deadpool. They have a good thing going on there. Leave it be. 

I've seen special that he might be on the way out at FOX/XMen after the whole Queen movie stuff.

12 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I've seen special that he might be on the way out at FOX/XMen after the whole Queen movie stuff.

That was my thought with the Queen movie meltdown and the allegations, but it's Hollywood, so who knows. He's also an EP on Legion, but I don't know if his credits are actual involvement or just producer credit.

Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD wraps 100th episode, will join longest-running genre TV list in February
By David Speakman - December 14, 2017
https://www.genremag.com/2017/12/marvels-agents-shield-wraps-100th-episode-will-join-longest-running-genre-tv-list-february/

At 124 episodes so far, CW’s Arrow is No. 26, passing Grimm, Lost, Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and Batman since the last update.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Arrow’, The Flash’, Supergirl’, ‘Black Lightning’ & More Head To Nation’s Capital For MLK Weekend Event

Warner Bros. TV Group, DC Entertainment and Warner Bros. Home Entertainment are teaming on DC in D.C., a pop culture MLK weekend event that merges the worlds of entertainment and public service in Washington, D.C.

DC in D.C. brings together stars and producers from WBTV’s DC TV series, including Arrow, The Flash, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Gotham, Supergirl and Freedom Fighters: The Ray, with DC comic book writers and artists, along with invited guests from politics, government service, business academia and more.

The event, which takes place Friday, January 12 and Saturday, January 13, will explore the intersection of comic books, culture, entertainment and enlightenment through a series of panel discussions open to the public.

Events will take place both days at the Newseum, and will culminate with the world premiere screening of the upcoming DC series Black Lightningin the Warner Bros. Theater at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. A party will follow at the National Museum of African American History and Culture‬‬‬‬.

Participants include Black Lightningstars Cress Williams, China Anne McClain, Nafessa Williams, Christine Adams, Marvin “Krondon” Jones III, Damon Gupton and James Remar — along with executive producers Salim Akil & Mara Brock Akil; along with executive producers Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, Black Lightning, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl,upcoming Titans) plus TV series stars Caity Lotz (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Candice Patton (The Flash), Danielle Panabaker (The Flash), J.W. Cortes (Gotham), Russell Tovey (Freedom Fighters: The Ray) and others to be announced.

• Love 4

I'm pretty sure Stephen and possibly Emily are going to this since thanks to their oversharing friend Carina Mackensie she tweeted about how she was getting to meet Hilary Clinton because of Stephen. 

5 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

I'm pretty sure Stephen and possibly Emily are going to this since thanks to their oversharing friend Carina Mackensie she tweeted about how she was getting to meet Hilary Clinton because of Stephen. 

Carina already met her - Stephen got her access to a speaking engagement Hillary had in Vancouver yesterday. 

Edited by apinknightmare
1 minute ago, thegirlsleuth said:

This is not meant as a sarcastic question although I'm sure it will come across that way:  What is Carina's job?  I know she wrote for the Originals, but is she now writing for the Flash? 

She's producing a Roswell revival. 

• Love 1

Events will take place both days at the Newseum, and will culminate with the world premiere screening of the upcoming DC series Black Lightningin the Warner Bros. Theater at the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. A party will follow at the National Museum of African American History and Culture‬‬‬‬.

Participants include Black Lightningstars Cress Williams, China Anne McClain, Nafessa Williams, Christine Adams, Marvin “Krondon” Jones III, Damon Gupton and James Remar — along with executive producers Salim Akil & Mara Brock Akil; along with executive producers Greg Berlanti and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, Black Lightning, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl,upcoming Titans) plus TV series stars Caity Lotz (DC’s Legends of Tomorrow), Candice Patton (The Flash), Danielle Panabaker (The Flash), J.W. Cortes (Gotham), Russell Tovey (Freedom Fighters: The Ray) and others to be announced.

That's a pretty nice introductory platform for Black Lightning.  I hope it unexpectedly wallops The Flash in ratings.  But I suppose it's too much to hope it could be a sleeper hit like Empire, lol. 

Of those expected to attend, most on that list make sense to me but I wonder why Danielle Panabaker is on that list.  I like her well enough but she seems like one of the things that is not like the others.  

• Love 7