Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Pfft. Felicity's not the VP, she's the CEO. I'm betting she starts Queen Inc. using her married name but still goes by Smoak professionally. 

Sorry, I wandered into my own fanfic world there for a second.

Well, of course she's the CEO! My bad. 

Let's live in your fanfic forever.

Pfft. Felicity's not the VP, she's the CEO. I'm betting she starts Queen Inc. using her married name but still goes by Smoak professionally.

Sorry, I wandered into my own fanfic world there for a second.

Change approved, this is officially future canon. Someone should let tptb know.

• Love 4

But I'm not really fussed because The Flash isn't really interesting or entertaining enough to really care about what happens on it. It's the epitome of forgettable television.

It's interesting and entertaining to me -- minus a few missteps which seem to be finally getting rectified. I feel that both Flash and Arrow have about the same amount of ridiculous, but Arrow wants you to take it all very seriously, while The Flash has fun with it.

• Love 2

I was hoping that Gideon (?) was created not just by Barry Allen but also by Felicity Smoak.  When do Barry and Ray Palmer have time for all that inventing?

I hate the predestined BecauseComics! love interest stuff in shows like these.  Unfortunately, poor GG has zero romantic/sexual chemistry with any of the females over on The Flash, but I think that there is no chance that Iris is not endgame over there.  I truly get when people complain about the romance stuff on Arrow because I just don't care about any of that over on The Flash, and it's become such an unpleasant chore to watch, but I kind of want to see how the Reverse Flash stuff turns out, so I'm torn!

I cringed when I read the "Iris West-Allen", and not because I was hoping that by 2024 women would have stopped hyphenating their names, unless Barry was going by West-Allen too.  Actually, maybe he should since Joe referred to him a couple of times as "my son".

I think Iris and Eddie are a cute couple and I love how he cares about her and treat her with respect, unlike Joe and Barry.  I can't help it, I think Iris/Eddie is a better relationship so when I see "Iris West-Allen" or Joe refusing to give his blessing to Eddie because he 'knows' that Iris should be marrying Barry, I just cringe.  I know their endgame but I still don't want to see it.

• Love 8

I was hoping that Gideon (?) was created not just by Barry Allen but also by Felicity Smoak.  When do Barry and Ray Palmer have time for all that inventing?

I cringed when I read the "Iris West-Allen", and not because I was hoping that by 2024 women would have stopped hyphenating their names, unless Barry was going by West-Allen too.  Actually, maybe he should since Joe referred to him a couple of times as "my son".

I think Iris and Eddie are a cute couple and I love how he cares about her and treat her with respect, unlike Joe and Barry.  I can't help it, I think Iris/Eddie is a better relationship so when I see "Iris West-Allen" or Joe refusing to give his blessing to Eddie because he 'knows' that Iris should be marrying Barry, I just cringe.  I know their endgame but I still don't want to see it.

My first thought tonight when I heard about who created Gideon was that Felicity Smoak was all over the creation of that system. Of course, as I type this now it makes sense that she would not get credit for it on the show, since that seems to be the MO of the writers & Ray. Although I never imagined Barry like that, but after hows he's been handling the lying to Iris, my mind could easily be swayed that he doe not give her credit, you know for "reasons".

I love Eddie, I think its ridiculous that they are forcing this endgame so soon. For starters BA/IW have little romantic chemistry. And secondly, the way Joe describes them always feels a little incestual, I feel like Joe needs to gain some chill. And the show needs to establish that BA/IW are not just like siblings. I think the writers are throwing away a good thing with Iris/Eddie. Unless of course they plan on making him go the way of Tommy :( Either way Im sad for Eddie. He's always treated Iris well.

Thank goodness the writers allowed Iris to figure it out on her own, since they had no intention of telling her. Of course, I hope they don't reverse it next week.

• Love 2

Ha, you know, I think I'm the only one on this board that doesn't really like Eddie. :) Sorry! He's had some nice friendship moments with Barry that I liked, but his relationship with Iris irritates me to no end - it always has for some reason. *shrug*

Ha, you know, I think I'm the only one on this board that doesn't really like Eddie. :) Sorry! He's had some nice friendship moments with Barry that I liked, but his relationship with Iris irritates me to no end - it always has for some reason. *shrug*

No need to apologize, to each their own. Must admit I was not huge fan of him one way or the other until the last few episodes, when he really became more appealing. Plus the whole everyone lie to Iris for her protection really put Joe & Barry in a bad light. At least Eddie, showed some respect  for her and wanted to keep her in the loop.

• Love 3

Eddie is probably one of my most favorite characters on that show and he seems to be the only character primed to be screwed over... This is why I stopped watching the show. I don't find it interesting, nor do I find the characters very compelling... I was waiting for a long time to get hooked on this show but it never happened and I got more annoyed by it than entertained :/

Anyways, I was wondering, did Gideon mention Ray Palmer helping Barry create the tech? Because if they did, I find it fishy that it would only be Ray/Barry creating this tech/software without Felicity's help meaning she probably dies at some point or something. God I hope not! I hope Felicity just has her hands tied with her kids at home and the merger going on because she is the CEO and Oliver will probably be the Mayor of Starling by then...

I just really want Oliver to become Mayor when he gets his shit together for some reason...

• Love 2

I love Eddie. Had a minor freakout last night when Eddie was going to propose and we knew Wells was after Iris. Thought for sure he was going to die. Please don't kill Eddie!

I don't really care for ships on Flash. As far as I'm concerned Joe/Barry is all I need, love the father/son relationship. However, there is a part of me that wonders if the West-Allen article and having Joe say Iris had feelings for Barry is a way to avoid another shift (like on Arrow)? I also wonder if putting it out there now it's because they're totally going to start messing with time/future.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 4

also wonder if putting it out there now it's because they're totally going to start messing with time/future.

We've seen that article change from time to time. I'm sure at one point we'll see Iris West-Thawne on the byline just so the writers can freak out the fandom lol

• Love 3

We've seen that article change from time to time. I'm sure at one point we'll see Iris West-Thawne on the byline just so the writers can freak out the fandom lol

The Barry/Iris stuff was so heavy handed last night that I figured there were two possibilities.  They're either saying no shipper bullshit, West-Allen is end game, deal with it!  Or they're putting it out there and then are going to rip the rug out and alter the future but surprise killing Iris or something.

• Love 6

I'm fine with Barry ending up with either Iris or Caitlin or whoever, which might be why I didn't put that much stock into the Iris West-Allen byline. It's one potential future, but since it seems to be the future that Reverse-Flash wants, it's very possible that Team Flash will be trying to do everything they can to stop that future, including possibly giving up the idea of marrying Iris. I'm not sure how seriously Barry took it either - after all, he's actually experienced two different timelines/futures, so he knows how easily things can change.  In one timeline, he kissed Iris; in the other, he didn't. So that probably gave him a bit more confidence, but not total confidence either. I did crack up that the show had Barry running into the Captain complaining about weddings right after that and telling him not to get married.

Wonderwall, Gideon barely mentioned Ray Palmer at all - Gideon just showed them a future article written by Iris West-Allen that mentioned Green Arrow, Atom and Hawkgirl. I took it as a nice Easter Egg for fans, another attempt to sell the spinoff, and a tiny dribble of hope that Arrow will get more cheerful in future seasons.

Also an acknowledgement that Hawkgirl is the hands down coolest member of the Justice League, but that might be me reading way too much into a throwaway moment.

• Love 3

I don't care either way, I'm more interested in Barry's relationship with Joe.  I also love Barry's relationships with Wells,  Cisco and Eddie more than just about any romantic pairing on the show.  I echo the post that said Barry/GG has better chemistry with the male characters/actors than either Iris/Candice or Caitlin/Danielle.

The only reason I even noticed it, was that it felt like an anvil being dropped.  They did it for a reason, just not sure what the reasoning was.  It just seemed to big to be an Easter egg or normal story/character progression.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Barry gets to marry his pseudo-sister. Awesome. Except... more gross. I would pay to find out which of these showrunners gets off on incest, because there's way too much of it dancing around these two shows.

And from the episodes I've bothered with, Grant Gustin is about as convincing a romantic lead as Laurel Lance is a badass vigilante. He and the woman playing Iris had some great sibling chemistry, but there was nothing sexual at all, that I could see (except for Barry probably checking out her ass every time she turned her back).

But I'm not really fussed because The Flash isn't really interesting or entertaining enough to really care about what happens on it. It's the epitome of forgettable television.

I've wondered for awhile if I was the only one who found Barry and Iris being adopted siblings who later marry really weird.  How old was Barry when he went to live with them?  I can never tell how old the kid is supposed to be in those flashbacks - maybe 8?  If he was older - like 12, I could buy that he never thought of her as a sister but instead she was always his crush.  Anyway, this was still an odd choice by the writers.

I loved Barry with Felicity so I don't think its impossible for GG to have chemistry with someone - he just doesn't have it with Iris.  I thought he had more with the actress who plays Caitlin when the body morphing guy was in his body.

Barry was 11 when he went to live with West's. What bothers me is Joe keeps referring to Barry as his son and Iris asks where dad is to Barry. If they want me to buy into this romance STOP bringing up the brother/sister angle. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 9

Eddie is probably one of my most favorite characters on that show and he seems to be the only character primed to be screwed over... This is why I stopped watching the show. I don't find it interesting, nor do I find the characters very compelling... I was waiting for a long time to get hooked on this show but it never happened and I got more annoyed by it than entertained :/

Anyways, I was wondering, did Gideon mention Ray Palmer helping Barry create the tech? Because if they did, I find it fishy that it would only be Ray/Barry creating this tech/software without Felicity's help meaning she probably dies at some point or something. God I hope not! I hope Felicity just has her hands tied with her kids at home and the merger going on because she is the CEO and Oliver will probably be the Mayor of Starling by then...

I just really want Oliver to become Mayor when he gets his shit together for some reason...

I'm pretty sure Gideon only said Barry created her, but it was in response to why she would obey his orders.  So, other people could have been involved in inventing the tech and the AI just didn't feel like saying, I will obey any of your orders, Ray Palmer's, and Felicity Smoak's because you are my creators.  The real questions is why can Wells use it and how did it get to the past?

And while I think the fact that Eddie seems to be directly related to Reverse Flash means he should live, I do think he is going to get a raw deal at some point in time very soon.

• Love 1

I've wondered for awhile if I was the only one who found Barry and Iris being adopted siblings who later marry really weird.  How old was Barry when he went to live with them?  I can never tell how old the kid is supposed to be in those flashbacks - maybe 8?  If he was older - like 12, I could buy that he never thought of her as a sister but instead she was always his crush. 

I think he did always think of her as his crush. Didn't he tell her as much when he told her he loved her? Something about how difficult it was to go and live with her because he'd always had a crush on her?

• Love 1

That would actually be kind of cool.  And it would give me something to cheer for because god help me, I cannot get behind Iris and Barry on this show. I like Eddie and I think he and Iris will be better together.

Plus, ok correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Barry Allen the uncle of Wally West through Iris?  Well since Iris doesn't seem to have any other siblings, but they ARE playing up the brother/sister vibe between Barry and Iris - what if Iris DOES marry Eddie but he takes her last name and they have a son and name him Wally?  Then Barry would still be Wally's uncle through Iris just in a different way.

Oh and one more random Flash thought about timelines is that the ultimate way to kill the Barry/Iris ship would be to eventually show that Barry can save his mother, but it would mean sacrificing his life with Iris.  So rather than do Flashpoint - because they made it seem like Barry still became the Flash originally with his mother alive - they should set it up so that he has to choose between saving his mom and a future with Iris. 

• Love 3

It sounded like a mess to begin with DC Comics and the WB have absolutely no idea what the hell their doing with their so called movie universe.

It's astonishingly sad that a handful of television shows with a modest budget and no where near the resources of these movies have created such an in depth and gripping universe.

• Love 1

I'm good with the direction they seem to be going with Superman v Batman, but I hope they get the solo movies right.  Wonder Woman is important to a lot of women and her movie will be a great opportunity to prove female superheroes do sell.  I don't know how I feel about so many writers being brought in for that movie, but maybe they are doing it because they really do want to get it right.  However, what I don't understand is why they don't tap their well of comic book and cartoon writers.  I understand the mediums are different - but at least let those people storyboard the overall concept and then let the screenplay writers take over.  I own and this house has watched the cartoon Wonder Woman movie put out in 2009 - they need to make it at least that good. :)

• Love 2

DC has done no planning they are rushing through everything to try to catch up to Marvel. 

But they will always be like this because of that. 

tumblr_n4et2wFnwC1qd1d32o1_500.gif

I don't get this argument though I see it all the time.  I hope the execs at the WB aren't buying into it.  Because they don't need to catch up to Marvel - they just need to be good.  It's like Falcon said, "I do everything he does only slower."  Fine, WB isn't first - there is no prize for being first.  The same viewers who spend money on Marvel movies will spend money on DC movies.  I mean is there some rule out there that I am unaware of that says if I go see Avengers this summer I can't see Superman v Batman next year?  Because that is how fans and critics seem to be approaching this issue.

WB just needs to say, hmmm Spiderman (original versions) topped the box offices and Marvel proved that lesser known comic characters can still make millions at the box office, so way to go guys - you opened the door and now we are going to make bank on it!  Awesome, thanks for going first and creating the audience.  Now we can sell to the same audience you created and make billions ourselves!  They don't need to "catch up" - they just need to make good movies and capitalize on the genre while its hot.

• Love 1

Off topic, but really curious. Is anyone excited about Ant-Man? 'Cause I don't get it.

LOL, no - I will at least wait until video for that one.  I understand it ties into the overall story somehow, but I still haven't seen GotG so yea I don't imagine I will see Ant Man anytime soon.  I am looking forward to Black Panther, but that's because he's my son favorite Marvel character.

Speaking for myself, I've been disappointed in the DC movies and will not spend the money to see them in the theater, the last one I saw was the Dark Knight. The rest I've waited until they were on DVD. Then so far I have seen every Marvel movie in the theater and am willing to shell out the bucks to go see them in the theater. Marvel has earned my trust and my money. DC has not and with the mess of Man of Steel (it was the most boring super hero movie I have ever seen), I am not at all looking forward to Batman v. Superman. 

I'll be seeing Ant-Man in the theaters because I am curious at what is about and the promos look good, the humor I've seen from those makes me want to see it. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I saw the Dark Knight Rises in theatres, I loved Catwoman but I didn't sign on for two hours of batman in a hole.

I had no interest in Man of Steel's Instagram filter film techniques.

I loathe their casting choices for Bruce Wayne. Christian Bale was horrible in the second two movies and I have no faith in Ben Affleck's ability to carry the role.

DC has done such good work with their video games, the DCAU, and of course Arrow/the Flash, but the film's have left me so underwhelmed I don't really like the idea of venturing back into them.

• Love 2

My main problem with the DC/WB movies is they keep hiring directors and writers I hate [Nolan, Snyder, Goyer], whose work I have never enjoyed, even prior to the superhero movies. Snyder, in particular, screams COMPLETE HACK to me so loudly, I barely understand how people keep giving him money to continue being a hack.

And on top of that, I don't agree with these guys' vision for these characters. And none of them has ever in their lives written/directed a decent fictional woman, so it started out bad and turned out worse for me as a viewer.

Edited by dancingnancy
  • Love 2

I'm pretty much calling DC's newest movie -  Dark v. Angst. 

I actually think Arrow, The Flash and Gotham have turned me even more off of DC with their terrible treatment of female characters. 

• Love 2

I saw the Dark Knight Rises in theatres, I loved Catwoman but I didn't sign on for two hours of batman in a hole.

Best description of that movie, ever! 

I think Man of Steel was better in theaters than at home.  It needed to be shortened, but to me - there is something about the big screen that can grab me and suck me in where I can lose interest on a small screen.  On a small screen, I need more humor and character spotlights which Avengers has done really well so I can watch it on both mediums.

My favorite Marvel ones have actually been Captain America.

• Love 2

I'm surprised the Flash is doing so well, it's not actually all that great writing wise. I see a lot of the same stupid mistakes that Arrow made. However it is lighter and very comic booky, if that's what people are looking for I guess that's why it's doing well. 

At least The Flash sticks to one story at a time.  Just imagine if Ray/Atom's superhero story had been intercut into The Flash episodes this season.

Personally, I enjoy watching The Flash - but it's not must-see TV for me.

• Love 3

I have to say that I like Flash better than Arrow and Flash still has time to learn from Arrow's mistakes. 

Take Iris for example - one, she maybe have just figured things out for herself so while she has been lied to "for her protection" - at least she's got some brains. 

And two, while I do NOT like Iris and Barry together, at least they aren't toxic.  I can realistically believe they can take these two anywhere at this point.  They can take them down a road that has them separated for years but together in the future, they can back them off into the "friend zone" or they can pair them up now.  And while they don't shout hottest couple ever, they don't have a backstory that will kill the ship entirely.  It's an awkward backstory and a really odd choice, but not ship-sinking.

But mostly, it's just nice to have a hero who a) likes himself, b) can crack a smile every now and then, and c) knows he needs other people's help and relies as much on his friends as he has confidence in himself.  I guess the bottom-line is Barry isn't an asshole and Oliver is.  I know Barry doesn't have Oliver's manpain, but I think I'm getting to the point where I'm over it with Oliver.  He's needs to lighten up and be a bit more fun as does the whole damn show.  Flash seems to have a better balance between comedy and angst. 

Plus, you know, Flash is being true to the comic book version of the character.  Arrow really suffers from it being Batman with a bow.  And frankly, if they wanted Batman with a bow, they should have consulted the cartoons because cartoon Batman is really smart and sarcastically funny.  The Nolan films lost those aspects of Batman so the EPs really picked the wrong story to base the wise-cracking Oliver Queen on. 

• Love 6

But mostly, it's just nice to have a hero who a) likes himself, b) can crack a smile every now and then, and c) knows he needs other people's help and relies as much on his friends as he has confidence in himself.  I guess the bottom-line is Barry isn't an asshole and Oliver is.  I know Barry doesn't have Oliver's manpain, but I think I'm getting to the point where I'm over it with Oliver.  He's needs to lighten up and be a bit more fun as does the whole damn show.  Flash seems to have a better balance between comedy and angst. 

I love Olicity but Flash has Arrow beat in 2 ways IMO.  Iris is treated pretty crappily by the writers/characters and I get angry on her behalf.  I can't say the same for Laurel.  I think it's a combination of Iris' warmth and how she treats those around her.  It also means that while Iris is removed (or was) from the main plot, I'm not annoyed at having to put up with her scenes.

Secondly, Flash is just more fun to watch.  Yes, I'm an adult; I know bad things happen to good people.  Do I want to see that illustrated every episode with no hope at the end?  Nope!  Don't get me wrong, I'm watching Arrow until the hopefully-not-bitter end; I just wish I enjoyed it more.

• Love 7

Its funny, I was on Tumblr yesterday after the Flash episode & somebody put up a meme/gif that said "remember when the Flash was happy". And I thought how funny is it that I actually enjoy when the Flash is not as bubbly gum happy.. But I do like the balance the show does aim for.

Its funny, I was on Tumblr yesterday after the Flash episode & somebody put up a meme/gif that said "remember when the Flash was happy". And I thought how funny is it that I actually enjoy when the Flash is not as bubbly gum happy.. But I do like the balance the show does aim for.

LOL and their "not happy Flash" is still a lot more fun than Arrow!

• Love 3

I have always preferred the Flash and the majority of the characters there to the ones on Arrow (though I'd trade Caitlin for Thea and Diggle in a heartbeat) 

I think it's pretty well written all things considered actually. It's establishing all sorts of relationships and character interactions (not all though albeit). Each character has proven useful thus far. 

• Love 1

At least The Flash sticks to one story at a time.  Just imagine if Ray/Atom's superhero story had been intercut into The Flash episodes this season.

Wellll.... they did use several episodes to set up Firestorm....

LOL, no - I will at least wait until video for that one.  I understand it ties into the overall story somehow, but I still haven't seen GotG so yea I don't imagine I will see Ant Man anytime soon.  I am looking forward to Black Panther, but that's because he's my son favorite Marvel character.

Gardians of the Galaxy was so much more than the trailers and previews made it out to be.  Most fun I had at the movies since probably the Avengers. I would highly recommend it to anyone.   Ant Man fills me with dread but I've come to really like ALL of the Marvel produced movies so I'm trying to remain optimistic.  It can have a stupid premise (it does and so does the Atom) but if they can get the character right I know I'll be on board. 

DC is trying to catch up with Marvel and that's the problem.  They are so hyped to rake in Avengers money that they want to skip over the steps like being good or at least that's the way it feels.  They're stuffing too much in too soon.  I'm hoping the Btmn vs Sprmn movies will be too big to fail, that they will ensure it isn't a complete flop but I am already worried that Wonder Woman will suffer from too many cooks tweaking this and adding that.  

I have always preferred the Flash and the majority of the characters there to the ones on Arrow (though I'd trade Caitlin for Thea and Diggle in a heartbeat) 

I think it's pretty well written all things considered actually. It's establishing all sorts of relationships and character interactions (not all though albeit). Each character has proven useful thus far. 

Arrow has my heart but I really enjoy The Flash.  I HAVE to watch Arrow as soon as possible while I can wait a few days with The Flash, it doesn't always urgently call me, but I always enjoy it.   I can't wait for Grodd.  I love Caitlin but I also love Thea and adore Diggle.  I'm very happy to be in a position where I don't have to chose one over the other.   :D

• Love 1