Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Legends is a team show so they get a team poster. It doesn't matter what order the show came in. The rest of the shows are named after the title character. 

As for Kara's mom being recast that is a step down. I didn't like ED as Lois on Snellville. I don't know what she can bring to this part, considering we've seen Kara' s mom and aunt quite a lot in season 1.

• Love 1

There's got to be an absolute in-story necessity for having Kara's mom otherwise why bother?  Although if I had to bet, it's will be in small doses, not like Smallville.  I thought she was fairly decent in Saving Hope.

Last season spoiled Supergirl so much for me I'm just fastforwarding through most of the show if I even watch..

Never watched much of Smallville, so I have no opinion on the new casting. But it is a bummer to see LB leave. I was going to binge s2 of Supergirl, but what's the point? From all the chatter, it hasn't really been that good. And quality actors keep on bailing on the show. It seems like they are budget cutting on SG and another one bites the dust. I know it's better than losing a show, but I really wonder if the move to Vancouver/CW really killed all the good potential SG had.

• Love 1

Laura Benanti has only been in 10 episodes of Supergirl, just one in s2, in 2x04.  She's got a big Broadway career going (not to mention playing Melania Trump on Stephen Colbert's show) so I don't think the move to Vancouver made much different for her.  It did for Calista Flockhart of course, she certainly doesn't need the money from being on Supergirl.

I  don't think anyone else has left.

I think whether or not you like s2 depends on how you feel about Mon El.  I you like him, you'll probably like the season.  A lot of other storylines got short shrift for his story -- Kara being a reporter, Maggie's romance on speed, barely any Kara/Maggie/Hank scenes, and James go dropped almost entirely.  But if you like the character of Mon El, it will be worth watching to see lots of him and Mon El/Kara.

Kate McGrath has been a great addition as Lena Luthor.

• Love 2

Yeah, her eyes are stunning. Very striking. 

I don't understand this super dark eyebrow thing that's happening more and more though? EBR has really dark eyebrows with blonde hair too and IDGI. I must be getting old. Haha.

Saw Spide-rman and I enjoyed it. It wasn't the best Spider-man movie but Tom Holland is the best Spider-man. Marvel actually managed do have another compelling villain with Vulture.  I am looking forward to the second movie. 

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Angel12d said:

Yeah, her eyes are stunning. Very striking. 

I don't understand this super dark eyebrow thing that's happening more and more though? EBR has really dark eyebrows with blonde hair too and IDGI. I must be getting old. Haha.

It's just the current style. I really noticed it while watching Riverdale where on a girl like Veronica with dark hair, the thick, black matching brows were striking. I think it's too much for women that have lighter hair (like myself) even if their eyebrows were always darker than their hair color but actresses, more so than anyone, are slaves to fashion.  

Edited by BkWurm1

Laura Benanti has only been in 10 episodes of Supergirl, just one in s2, in 2x04.  She's got a big Broadway career going (not to mention playing Melania Trump on Stephen Colbert's show) so I don't think the move to Vancouver made much different for her.  It did for Calista Flockhart of course, she certainly doesn't need the money from being on Supergirl.

I  don't think anyone else has le

They had to alter/cut short her storyline in the first season because she had to leave due to her Broadway commitments. It wasn't that much of a surprise that they recast. 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

They had to alter/cut short her storyline in the first season because she had to leave due to her Broadway commitments. It wasn't that much of a surprise that they recast. 

I thought it was due to her pregnancy? Either way, they couldn't find someone of the same caliber to recast with? 

• Love 1

I forget she had a baby, I could have sworn her broadway commitments were cited as one of the reason's they ended the Astra story but having a baby certainly would have reduced her availability. 

I don't mind Durance but I'm not sure she is a good choice to play Kara's mother. They need to do less stunt casting. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

... Either way, they couldn't find someone of the same caliber to recast with? 

They seem to be having trouble getting people to commit to Vancouver.

48 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

I don't mind Durance but I'm not sure she is a good choice to play Kara's mother. They need to do less stunt casting. 

On the other hand, I love stuntcasting, when it can be done well. I will wait patiently until Tom Welling shows up!

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Trini said:

They seem to be having trouble getting people to commit to Vancouver.

On the other hand, I love stuntcasting, when it can be done well. I will wait patiently until Tom Welling shows up!

50 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

YES! Or Michael Rosenbaum as Lex!

I'd take either as Alura before ED.  ;)

• Love 3

Unpopular opinion I guess, but I never had a problem with ED as an actress.  The writing wasn't so good (and I only watched through season six), but I don't remember ever having a problem with her acting.  Especially next to Kristin Kreuk's Lana, who drove me nuts. 

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

Unpopular opinion I guess, but I never had a problem with ED as an actress.  The writing wasn't so good (and I only watched through season six), but I don't remember ever having a problem with her acting.  Especially next to Kristin Kreuk's Lana, who drove me nuts. 

When I read this, I thought: "NO more likes for you, Starfish! ? But then I finished and read what you write about Kreuk, so I had to take it back. I loathe them both equally and passionately-of their acting and their iterations of characters I like!

(edited)
12 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

If you view the show without personal bias and allegiances to characters, every actor on Smallville was fairly average with moments that stood out as great or terrible here and there. Tom Welling was pretty wooden at times. 

The he only exception was probably Rosebaum and the actors who played Lionel Luther and Johnthan and Martha Kent. 

And after the whininess of Lana and Clark/Lana Lois and Clois really was a breath of freash air

Edited by LeighAn
  • Love 1
(edited)

When I read this, I thought: "NO more likes for you, Starfish! ?

Lol.  Sorry.  :)

KK ....  I've never been able to make up my mind about her as an actress.  I can't decide whether whether it was that role or just her.  I didn't have an issue with her when she guest-starred on Chuck for a few episodes, but on the other hand I tried BatB and couldn't continue with it because I was getting too many Lana flashbacks (even though Lana and Catherine were very different characters).  

And Lana herself....I've often wondered if the writers had been able to make themselves think of her as anything but Clark's love interest and developed her in a different direction, would I have liked her more?  I don't know.  *shrug* Moot point I guess.  But while I had a point (very) early on where I thought Clana was sweet in that kind of wistful high school way, by the time we were done with season six I was ready to tear my hair out over the drama.   :(  The people who bash Arrow for "soap opera drama" and then talk about how much better Smallville was have nostalgia goggles on, I think.  

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

The writing drove me to hate the character, but like KC, I thought ED was bad with nuance.  Everything was over the top. All or nothing.   Left me cringing all the time.  And she did not have what I'd call an expressive face.  Maybe if they give her material with really clear directions and a clear emotion, she might pull it off.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's just the current style. I really noticed it while watching Riverdale where on a girl like Veronica with dark hair, the thick, black matching brows were striking. I think it's too much for women that have lighter hair (like myself) even if their eyebrows were always darker than their hair color but actresses, more so than anyone, are slaves to fashion.  

Not that it necessarily relates to EBR or CL, since I have no idea what their natural haircolor is... But the darker eyebrows and lighter hair totally helps people who were not born become blond. I have dark brown hair and I could never go too light because that would have resulted in dying/tinting my eyebrows which was a deal breaker for me. Now that its the style I could probably try it. However, now if I go lighter people will think I'm trying to disguise any grey hairs, which luckily I don't have. So I've come to embrace my dark hair, it also helps me donate it.

It's the same reason ombre all the sudden became a fashion trend/style. Sometimes it's just practicalities that are spun a different way.

• Love 1
(edited)
11 hours ago, Oreo2234 said:

I forget she had a baby, I could have sworn her broadway commitments were cited as one of the reason's they ended the Astra story but having a baby certainly would have reduced her availability.

It could have been both, she was working on or about Broadway for a lot of her pregnancy. She also had a pretty heartbreaking miscarriage before, so maybe they were not as open with news about the pregnancy.

17 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I  don't think anyone else has left.

I think whether or not you like s2 depends on how you feel about Mon El.  I you like him, you'll probably like the season.  A lot of other storylines got short shrift for his story -- Kara being a reporter, Maggie's romance on speed, barely any Kara/Maggie/Hank scenes, and James go dropped almost entirely.  But if you like the character of Mon El, it will be worth watching to see lots of him and Mon El/Kara.

Kate McGrath has been a great addition as Lena Luthor.

Without CF & LB, the show has lost a lot of its core it started with, even if they only had limited roles/presence. JDT has left the show as one of the Langs, and I liked her. Plus the changing of Wynns & Jimmy roles. And it feels like Hank is no longer as important. It's not longer the show it started as. When it moved the CW, it started to take on a lot of CW tropes and show standards. I thought I would like KM, but the few episodes I saw, I'm just not feeling the soap opera is she good or bad or somewhere in between. As for the new romances, I'm fried on Berlantiverse CW romances. They are never satisfying. They used to have some appeal, now they are just too repetitive.

The move to CW & Vancouver seems to have changed the show. And now that it seems they are continuing to move away from it's roots, I'm just not sure it's worth it to binge s2 for me. Few people seem to be raving about it, and it seems like everything I heard is just confirmation the show is becoming CWized.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 1
(edited)

KK is a horribly bad actress. I've seen arguments that it was all the writers fault (see KC, ED, fans for further reference) but, I gave her a shot in Beauty and the Beast and she was horribly wooden/dull there too.

Same for ED, I gave Saving Hope a shot when it aired S1 here on NBC, mostly for Michael Shanks (loved Daniel Jackson) but, she was god awful there too.

KK and ED can't emote, they can't do nuance and in ED's case I think she had some facial work done late in Smallville's run which made her face immovable.

The writing on Smallville would never win awards and Welling was a wooden block in most scenes. The only thing in his favor was that he improved when paired with better partners

The only good actors on Smallville (IMO) were Rosenbaum, Glover and Mack. As much as I love Chlollie and Justin Hartley, he's not a good actor but, unlike Welling (IMO) Hartley has charm.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, kismet said:

Without CF & LB, the show has lost a lot of its core it started with, even if they only had limited roles/presence. JDT has left the show as one of the Langs, and I liked her. Plus the changing of Wynns & Jimmy roles. And it feels like Hank is no longer as important. It's not longer the show it started as. When it moved the CW, it started to take on a lot of CW tropes and show standards. I thought I would like KM, but the few episodes I saw, I'm just not feeling the soap opera is she good or bad or somewhere in between. As for the new romances, I'm fried on Berlantiverse CW romances. They are never satisfying. They used to have some appeal, now they are just too repetitive.

The move to CW & Vancouver seems to have changed the show. And now that it seems they are continuing to move away from it's roots, I'm just not sure it's worth it to binge s2 for me. Few people seem to be raving about it, and it seems like everything I heard is just confirmation the show is becoming CWized.

I liked Lucy after the Lucy/James ship sunk.  Before that, she was all the worst cliches of a stall-ship,  There was a solid reason why her previous relationship with Jimmy ended and the rest was pure soap opera (friends with kara, jealous of Supergirl).  Once they took the soap off the table, Lucy became a worthwhile character.

I think I would have liked Cat Grant more if I hadn't been reading SM.  I liked her snark but I didn't adore her and I resented the god-like status she had on social media.  It was more interesting to me if she didn't know that Kara was Supergirl in s1 (it's okay now in s2) rather than she was secretly trying to antagonize Kara so she would live up to her potential. 

The CW factor I see is that the whole show shifted for Mon El and to accommodate the actor.  It's like KC's Laurel Lance.  He's a likable enough actor but he's not in Flockhart's league and yet s2 revolved almost completely around him.  I liked s1's Kara/Alex relationship, which almost entirely disappeared as Kara was obsessed by Mon El and Alex talked to Maggie,   There were few Kara/Alex/Hank missions and no more Kara/Winn/James team-ups at all as Kara went out with Mon El  and when she wasn't fighting with him, she was training him or running her reporting by him.   Even the Big Bad for the season, if there is one, is Mon El's mother.

When Kara told James that he shouldn't be a vigilante because he doesn't have super powers like her and Mon El, I've never disliked her so much.  And then when she told Mon El that it doesn't matter that she lost her reporting job at Catco because she still has him and her blog, I looked around for a towel to throw in.  I like Lena because the actress can play nuance and because as long as Kara is talking to her, she's not talking to Mon El. (Except for the dinner date Kara and Mon El crashed that is.)

Unlike last season when relationships were fleeting and sometimes with a villain, this season everyone got hooked up, Kara, Alex, Hank, Winn, all except for James and it feels like it was to give the other characters a storyline because they barely interacted with the lead character since Supergirl was all about Mon El in both her private and Supergirl life.  It's as if in s2 Oliver had only been interacting with Sara because she was his equal and everyone else, (Diggle, Felicity, Roy, Thea) had to find something else to do.

I think they're going to double down on it even more next season which is why I'm not really interested any more.  I'd be more interested if Kara and Mon El went off to another show and I got a Agents of Shield-type show with Alex, Hank, Winn, James and Lena.

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

I liked Lucy after the Lucy/James ship sunk.  Before that, she was all the worst cliches of a stall-ship,  There was a solid reason why her previous relationship with Jimmy ended and the rest was pure soap opera (friends with kara, jealous of Supergirl).  Once they took the soap off the table, Lucy became a worthwhile character.

I think I would have liked Cat Grant more if I hadn't been reading SM.  I liked her snark but I didn't adore her and I resented the god-like status she had on social media.  It was more interesting to me if she didn't know that Kara was Supergirl in s1 (it's okay now in s2) rather than she was secretly trying to antagonize Kara so she would live up to her potential. 

The CW factor I see is that the whole show shifted for Mon El and to accommodate the actor.  It's like KC's Laurel Lance.  He's a likable enough actor but he's not in Flockhart's league and yet s2 revolved almost completely around him.  I liked s1's Kara/Alex relationship, which almost entirely disappeared as Kara was obsessed by Mon El and Alex talked to Maggie,   There were few Kara/Alex/Hank missions and no more Kara/Winn/James team-ups at all as Kara went out with Mon El  and when she wasn't fighting with him, she was training him or running her reporting by him.   Even the Big Bad for the season, if there is one, is Mon El's mother.

When Kara told James that he shouldn't be a vigilante because he doesn't have super powers like her and Mon El, I've never disliked her so much.  And then when she told Mon El that it doesn't matter that she lost her reporting job at Catco because she still has him and her blog, I looked around for a towel to throw in.  I like Lena because the actress can play nuance and because as long as Kara is talking to her, she's not talking to Mon El. (Except for the dinner date Kara and Mon El crashed that is.)

Unlike last season when relationships were fleeting and sometimes with a villain, this season everyone got hooked up, Kara, Alex, Hank, Winn, all except for James and it feels like it was to give the other characters a storyline because they barely interacted with the lead character since Supergirl was all about Mon El in both her private and Supergirl life.  It's as if in s2 Oliver had only been interacting with Sara because she was his equal and everyone else, (Diggle, Felicity, Roy, Thea) had to find something else to do.

I think they're going to double down on it even more next season which is why I'm not really interested any more.  I'd be more interested if Kara and Mon El went off to another show and I got a Agents of Shield-type show with Alex, Hank, Winn, James and Lena.

It actually did go something like that for a while, but the reactions weren't good.

• Love 1

Quick recap of HVFF Nashville: John Barrowman is beyond awesome, Katrina Law is sunshine and smiles, Michael Rooker is having the time of his life (he's currently in the audience answering questions rather than remain on stage), and David Ramsay is SO PRETTY. 

I don't usually go to small cons but it's fun. 

• Love 13
(edited)

SAN DIEGO COMIC CON INTERNATIONAL, July 20-23, 2017, has posted their official programming schedules for Thursday through Sunday - here are all of the SDCC panels that include any Arrowverse people...

Thursday, July 20
11:00am
Anything Goes with John Barrowman

Join actor and entertainer John Barrowman (Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow, Torchwood, Doctor Who) for his outrageously entertaining one-man show. Ask him anything and remember . . . anything goes!
Thursday July 20, 2017 11:00am - 11:50am 
4:30pm
Art Heroines: Using Science to Help Create Art

The Art Heroines explore the value of using science to further your art projects, from finding inspiration to implementing techniques. These seasoned professionals offer an in-depth discussion on how the pros employ the scientific method in their work. From observation to experimentation to innovation, they'll break down how you can use science at home. Moderated by Robyn Simms, Emmy-nominated costume designer for Tumble Leaf (Amazon) and co-host of The Grownups Are Talking podcast, the panel features Danelle Vierkant (creature designer and builder, Grimm, American Horror Story), Ivonne Escoto (designer and builder, Sleepy Hollow, The Flash), Dee Chavez (background designer/layout, Nickelodeon, DreamWorks), Kristin Donner (painter/illustrator, Nickelodeon, Society for American Archaeology), Melissa Doss Diwa (builder, Jim Henson's Creature Shop, Disney Online), Nicole Filiatrault (technical director, South Park), Kaitlyn Yang (VFX supervisor, Robot Chicken, The Walking Dead), and Chelsea Pickens (art department, Anomalisa, Yamasong).
Thursday July 20, 2017 4:30pm - 5:30pm 
7:30pm
Hollyweird Science: Information Versus Motivation

When a new science fiction film comes out, so do the science experts (with vastly different levels of expertise) to nitpick the film's science content. The irony is that Hollywood has never been more willing to work with actual scientists to ensure scientific accuracy. Yet, scientists often cite TV series like Star Trek and films like 2001: A Space Odyssey as the elements that inspired their careers. When it comes to the value to science and science education, is the motivational/inspirational component at least as important as the science content itself? This panel of scientists and Hollywood professionals share their thoughts. Featuring Zack Stentz (The Flash, Lore), Amy Berg (Counterpart, Eureka), Kevin Grazier, Ph.D. (Gravity, Pirates of the Caribbean: DMTNT), Jessica Cail, Ph.D. (Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D ., Zootopia), Rick Loverd (Science and Entertainment Exchange), and Colin Campbell (The Universe, Life After People). Moderated by Gia Mora (Scirens).
Thursday July 20, 2017 7:30pm - 8:30pm 
8:00pm
Psychology of Cult TV Shows: Episode 4

Are you a fan of Supernatural, Westworld, Game of Thrones, or Sherlock? Do you love Daredevil, Walking Dead, Jessica Jones, or Luke Cage? If so, come join the team of mental health professionals Dr. Janina Scarlet (Superhero Therapy, Star Wars Psychology), Dr. Travis Langley (Doctor Who Psychology: A Madman with a Box; Star Trek Psychology: The Mental Frontier), Dr. Lynn Zubernis (Supernatural Psychology; Family Don't End with Blood), Dr. Billy San Juan (Doctor Who Psychology, Walking Dead Psychology), and Travis Adams (Supernatural Psychology) and TV writers/producers Jose Molina (Agent Carter, Firefly), Christine Boylan (Castle, Once Upon a Time), and Deric Hughes (The Flash, Beauty and the Beast) in geeking out and discussing your favorite TV shows. Jenna Busch (Legion of Leia, Star Wars Psychology) moderates.
Thursday July 20, 2017 8:00pm - 9:00pm 

https://www.comic-con.org/cci/thursday

Friday, July 21
10:00am
Intro to TV Writing: From First Draft to Getting Staffed

Moderator Spiro Skentzos (Arrow) and today's biggest TV writers, showrunners, and executives from your favorite genre shows discuss navigating the TV spec terrain including beginner's mistakes, what they look for in a writer, and what it takes for you to write a killer spec that will stand above the crowd. There will be a huge Q&A component, so bring your questions.
Friday July 21, 2017 10:00am - 11:00am 
1:00pm
Behind the Music: Fantasy, Fiction, and Fandom

Fantasy Fanatic or Composer Connoisseur? Come join CW3PR and Impact24 PR to hear about what makes your favorite fiction stories so FANTASTIC. Some of the top composers around will give insight on how they contribute to many of the most popular fantasy/fiction titles in the TV and film worlds. This will be a can't-miss, colorful, fascinating journey into the minds of the industry's most imaginative! Panelists include Jeff Russo (composer, Legion, Fargo), Sean Callery (composer, Jessica Jones, Homeland, 24), Mac Quayle (composer, Mr. Robot, American Horror Story, Feud), Kris Bowers (composer, Dear White People), Siddhartha Khosla (composer, This Is Us, The Runaways), and Blake Neely (composer, The Flash, Arrow, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, Riverdale) with celebrity moderators Rachel Keller (Legion, Fargo) and Jeremie Harris (Legion, The Get Down).
Friday July 21, 2017 1:00pm - 2:00pm 
4:30pm
Wiseguy, The Show That Invented Binge TV: 30th Anniversary

Three decades ago, CBS debuted a series unlike any that had appeared on television before. Starring Ken Wahl as a morally compromised undercover operative and Better Call Saul's Jonathan Banks as his OCB handler, serialized storylines spanned multiple episodes and featured an unforgettable array of memorable guest stars including Kevin Spacey, Tim Curry, Jerry Lewis, Deborah Harry, Glenn Frey, Ron Silver, Fred Dalton Thompson, William Russ, and Ray Sharkey. Now, look back with the original creative team that brought Vinnie Terranova to the screen every week, along with a generation of TV scribes who the series inspired. On hand will be David Burke (executive producer, Wiseguy), Stephen Kronish (executive producer, Wiseguy), David Kemper (former CBS executive, EP of Farscape), Marc Guggenheim (executive producer, Arrow), Edward Gross (author, The Unofficial Story of the Making of a Wiseguy), and moderator Mark A. Altman (co-EP, The Librarians, Agent X, Castle).
Friday July 21, 2017 4:30pm - 5:30pm 
6:00pm
The Writer's Journey: Breaking in and Managing a Career in Hollywood

This panel addresses what new writers need to do once they have material ready to go out to the masses. The shifting 21st century digital frontier means the age-old methods of building a career have been rendered irrelevant. This group of Hollywood screenwriters and graphic novel creators will share insider information, publishing secrets, and the professional realities on how to develop your ideas into a viable property and market yourself accordingly. Moderated by 2015 Disney/ABC Writing Program winner and 2014 Eisner Award nominee Brandon Easton (Marvel's Agent Carter, IDW's M.A.S.K.), the panel includes TV producer Geoffrey Thorne (The Librarians, Marvel Comics's Mosaic), writer Ubah Mohamed (Legends of Tomorrow, ABC's The Whispers), writer Brandon Thomas (Image's Horizon, Lion Forge's Noble) actress/writer Erika Alexander (Concrete Park, Queen Sugar), and artist/writer Tony Puryear (the Schwarzenegger film Eraser, Concrete Park).
Friday July 21, 2017 6:00pm - 7:00pm 
8:00pm
Writing the Wrong

Hollywood experts will reveal their “what not to do” lists for writers and those interested in an entertainment career. Panelists include, Silvia Olivas (co-executive producer, Elena of Avalor), Deric A. Hughes (co-executive producer, MTV's Scream, The Flash), Carole Kirschner (director of WGA Showrunner Training Program), Rob Greenlea (director, The Flash, Supergirl), Kristi Shuton (manager, Disney ABC creative talent development and inclusion), and others. Exclusive “don’t” lists for network writing fellowship/program applicants will also be shared as well as advice on how you can advance diversity and social change with your scripts. Moderated by Ken Choy (Wide Lantern).
Friday July 21, 2017 8:00pm - 9:00pm 

https://www.comic-con.org/cci/friday

Saturday, July 22
10:00am
Inside the Writers' Room: From Script to Screen and Beyond

If writers' rooms were like superhero teams, then this lineup would be the Justice League and The Avengers, here to offer an all-star insider's look at your favorite TV series. The scribes behind some of today's hottest genre shows share their candid thoughts on how to write, re-write, and actually produce the series you love (and sometimes loathe) in a special supersized session moderated by Sony Pictures Television's executive senior VP of current programming and development, Chris Parnell. Find out the deep dark secrets (and low-calorie snacks) of the writers' room-and what happens after your script hits the stage, why editing is considered the final rewrite, and what the alphabet soup of SVOD and OTT mean for the future of the medium you love. The lineup this year includes Ryan Condal (Colony), Gabrielle Stanton (Time After Time, The Flash), Javier Grillo-Marxuach (The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance, The Middleman, Lost), Ashley E. Miller (Black Sails, Fringe, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Steve Melching (Star Wars Rebels, Star Wars: The Clone Wars), Jose Molina (Agent Carter, The Tick, Firefly), Amy Berg (Counterpart, Da Vinci's Demons, Eureka), Dave Rogers (director, The Mindy Project, The Office), and Mark A. Altman (The Librarians, Castle, Agent X).
Saturday July 22, 2017 10:00am - 11:30am 
11:00am
Costume Design for Screen

Costume Designers Guild members Ann Foley (costume designer, Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Kim Adams (costume designer, Stranger Things, Halt and Catch Fire), Ivy Thaide (assistant costume designer, How to Get Away with Murder, The Mindy Project), Jill O'Hanneson (costume designer, Preacher), Kiersten Ronning (costume designer, Supergirl), Marlene Stewart (costume designer, Oblivion, Tropic Thunder), Ruth Carter (costume designer, Black Panther, Serenity), and Samantha Kuester (costume designer, Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Return) talk about the process of designing costumes for screen. The designers will also answer questions from the audience.
Saturday July 22, 2017 11:00am - 12:00pm 
3:30pm
Supergirl Special Video Presentation and Q&A

Ridding National City of Queen Rhea and her Daxamite army was a major win for Supergirl but one that came at a significant cost, as Kara was forced to sacrifice her budding relationship with Mon-El. When the show returns with all-new supercharged adventures this fall on The CW, Kara and team will come up against a new threat in the form of DC Comics's Worldkiller, Reign. Want to know more about Reign and what she has in store for the Girl of Steel? Join the series' cast and creative team for a special video presentation followed by a discussion of the new season. From Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, Supergirl' s third season will debut Monday, October 9 at 8/7c on The CW. Supergirl: The Complete Second Season is available now on digital and will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on August 22.
Saturday July 22, 2017 3:30pm - 4:10pm 

4:10pm
DC's Legends of Tomorrow Special Video Presentation and Q&A

After crash landing the Waverider in a version of 2017 Los Angeles where dinosaurs roam the streets and the skyline is adorned by the iconic Big Ben clock tower, the Legends were quick to realize, "We broke time." Last year, the loveable band of misfit heroes traveled throughout the timeline, fixing a series of aberrations. This year, they'll be turning the crazy up to 11, as a wave of anachronisms turn history on its head, leaving the Legends responsible for piecing it back together. What is an anachronism you ask? For the answer to that, and many other questions, join the cast and creative team behind The CW's hit superhero team-up series. From Berlanti Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television, DC's Legends of Tomorrow' s season premiere airs Tuesday, October 10, at 9/8c on The CW. DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season is available now on digital and will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on August 15.
Saturday July 22, 2017 4:10pm - 4:50pm 

4:50 pm
Black Lightning Special Video Presentation and Q&A

Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) is a man wrestling with a secret. As the father of two daughters and principal of a charter high school that also serves as a safe haven for young people in a New Orleans neighborhood overrun by gang violence, he is a hero to his community. Nine years ago, Pierce was a hero of a different sort. Gifted with the superhuman power to harness and control electricity, he used those powers to keep his hometown streets safe as the masked vigilante Black Lightning. However, after too many nights with his life on the line and seeing the effects of the damage and loss that his alter ego was inflicting on his family, he left his superhero days behind and settled into being a principal and a dad. Choosing to help his city without using his superpowers, he watched his daughters Anissa (Nafessa Williams) and Jennifer (China Anne McClain) grow into strong young women, even though his marriage to their mother, Lynn (Christine Adams), suffered. Almost a decade later, Pierce's crime-fighting days are long behind him-or so he thought. But with crime and corruption spreading like wildfire and those he cares about in the crosshairs of the menacing local gang The One Hundred, Black Lightning returns-to save not only his family but also the soul of his community. Based on the characters from DC, Black Lightning is from Berlanti Productions and Akil Productions in association with Warner Bros. Television with executive producers Greg Berlanti (Arrow, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl), Salim Akil and Mara Brock Akil (Being Mary Jane, The Game, Jumping the Broom, Girlfriends), and Sarah Schechter (Arrow, DC's Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Supergirl). Black Lightning premieres midseason on The CW.
Saturday July 22, 2017 4:50pm - 5:10pm 
5:10pm
The Flash Special Video Presentation and Q&A

Running up against an evil time remnant version of yourself is something no one should ever have to do, but that's exactly what faced Barry Allen (a.k.a. the Flash) as he fought to save the life of fiancée Iris West from the God of Speed known as Savitar. Barry's victory was short-lived, however, as an unbalanced Speed Force began to wreak havoc on Central City, forcing Barry to sacrifice himself for the greater good. With the Fastest Man Alive now trapped inside an extra-dimensional energy and unknown dangers lurking in the shadows, it will be up to Team Flash to free Barry from his own personal Hell. Join the cast and creators of The CW's highest-rated series and be among the first to find out where things will pick up when season 4 returns this fall. From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, The Flash season premiere airs Tuesday, October 10 at 8/7c on The CW. The Flash: The Complete Third Season is available now on digital and will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on September 5.
Saturday July 22, 2017 5:10pm - 5:50pm 

5:50pm
Arrow Special Video Presentation and Q&A

With the future of the team left hanging in the balance, Arrow gave new definition to the phrase "blowing up the show." The emotional showdown between Oliver Queen and Adrian Chase was the perfect conclusion to a stellar fifth season of The CW's gritty superhero series. Now the focus shifts to uncovering the fate of every member of Team Arrow. Could anyone have possibly survived an island-wide explosion, or has the book closed on them, as it has the five-year flashback story? The cast and creators will be on hand for an eye-opening conversation about the upcoming season. From Bonanza Productions Inc. in association with Berlanti Productions and Warner Bros. Television, Arrow' s season premiere is Thursday, October 12 at 9/8c on The CW. Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season is available now on digital and will be released on Blu-ray and DVD on September 19.
Saturday July 22, 2017 5:50pm - 6:30pm 
6:30pm
Legendary's Cursed panel with John Barrowman, Carole Barrowman, and Erika Lewis

Legendary Comics hosts John Barrowman, Carole Barrowman, and Erika Lewis talk all things Cursed, their new comic series-the Scottish history, their favorite characters, their not-so-favorite characters, and more.
Saturday July 22, 2017 6:30pm - 7:30pm 

https://www.comic-con.org/cci/saturday

Sunday, July 23
11:15am
Marvel: ResurrXion

The ResurrXion is upon us! The X-Men have been catapulted back to the forefront of the Marvel universe, and there's still more to come! join editor-in-chief Axel Alonso, executive editor Nick Lowe, and writers Sina Grace (Iceman), Marc Guggenheim (X-Men Gold), and Christina Strain (Generation X) for an X-citing discussion about the past, present, and future of all things X-Men!
Sunday July 23, 2017 11:15am - 12:15pm 
3:00pm
Super Asian America

With live-action versions of Death Note and Ghost in the Shell, Hollywood keeps mining Asian culture for inspiration-while sidelining Asian people. At the same time, series like Into the Badlands and Master of None demonstrate how successful shows with Asian leads can be. The state of Super Asian America in 2017 is assessed by panelists Will Choi (Asian AF), Deric Hughes (The Flash), Angela Kang (The Walking Dead), C. B. Lee (Not Your Sidekick), Lewis Tan (Iron Fist), and Dr. Nancy Yue n (Reel Inequality). Moderated by Racebending.com's Michael Le.
Sunday July 23, 2017 3:00pm - 4:00pm 

https://www.comic-con.org/cci/sunday

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
(edited)

2016 – 2017 TV Season In Review
BY BRIANNA MARTINEZ   JULY 9, 2017
http://fanfest.com/2017/07/09/2016-2017-tv-season-in-review/

2. Was there a series arc that made you love a show even more? Why?
.  .  .
Hayley – I loved the alternate reality story arc in the back half of Agents of Shield. It was fun to see characters that had died come back and to think about how things would change if just one or two events from the Marvel Cinematic Universe were changed.
.  .  .
Alyssa –Barry finally taking responsibility for all of his actions in the season three finale of The Flash made me love the show more because this shows the tremendous change in his character. He never wanted anyone to do the dirty work for him, yet he still let them go through with it. Barry was told that the Speed Force was angry with him, so his actions, in the end, was courageous and what was needed to be done. This has an interesting set-up for season four.

Brianna – The Prometheus arc on Arrow this season was just so well done. After a pair of less than great villains, seeing how Prometheus played the game until the very end was crazy in the best way and rocketed Adrian Chase/Prometheus to the top of the best baddie list for the show (yes, even beating out Slade).
3. Was there a moment throughout the TV season that had you scratching your head? Why?
.  .  .
Brianna – In some ways I understood the Susan Williams plot on Arrow or at least what they were trying to do. However, I don’t think that it played out that way considering she came off as a morally questionable journalist sleeping with the subject of the big investigation she was working on.
4. What was the biggest loss (character, show) of the season?
.  .  .
Alyssa – Possibly all of the Arrow supporting cast?
5. Shows (new and returning) that you’ll be sticking with next season? (this can be a list)
.  .  .
Linda This Is Us. Everything Defenders. Game of Thrones. Stranger Things. Arrow. The Flash. Walking Dead.
.  .  .
AlyssaArrow, Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, Westworld, Game of Thrones, Supergirl, Walking Dead

Brianna Arrow, iZombie, Legends of Tomorrow, Black Lightning, The Good Place, Lucifer, Superstore, Atlanta, The Mayor, The Gospel of Kevin.
6. Which character had the best arc? (Can only pick one!)
.  .  .
Hayley – I have loved Ed Nygma/The Riddler’s arc on Gotham this season.
.  .  .
Alyssa – I think that Sara Lance has had some of the best character development across the Arrow-verse. This season on Legends of Tomorrow she came into her own as the captain of the Waverider. Sara started out a party girl, then became a heartless assassin, died, was filled with bloodlust, was broken by the death of her sister, but has now come to be a true hero. Her selflessness saved time. Plus, she’s a total badass.

Brianna – I have to say that Oliver definitely had the best arc this season, in terms of growth. Season five put him through the ringer thanks to Prometheus, from having him accidentally kill Detective Malone to being tortured by the man and kidnapping his son and his friends only to make him choose between his son or his friends. He went through so much, but in the process, we were able to see how much he’s grown from what he’s gone through the last ten years. It was great to see especially during 5b.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3

Saw Spider-Man, and I highly recommend it! Super fun and heartfelt movie, with lots of great action and acting from the whole cast. Really, its been a great year for Superhero movies, with Logan, Wonder Woman, GOTG2, and now Spider-Man all being really great movies which I would recommend to both comic fans, and general audiences. Hopefully the new Thor movie and Justice League can keep the streak alive!

I will also say that I'm thrilled that Spider-Man, while definitely giving me some serious feels, didn't actively try to puncture my heart like the other three I mentioned. Damn it superhero movies, stop making me cry! There is only so many times people will believe me when I say the theater is dusty!

• Love 1

I've been going through my notes and photos and I've decided one of my favorite moments of the con was in Gotham when the male moderator asked David what his reaction was when he read about

Batman and Catwoman getting married in Rebirth.

*Do not read if you're behind on Batman comics.*

Turns out that, while David reads Batman comics, he waits until the trade paperbacks come out. So the moderator spoiled him which resulted in the question being answered in real time with David being all "wait, what? how? that's happening? thanks for spoiling" though he was very chill as he said it. It was amusing if anyone can find video. 

Also? Butch can sing! 

• Love 2

This Is Us star Milana Vayntrub has landed the coveted role in Freeform’s upcoming live-action comedy, cast alongside Derek Theler, Jeremy Tardy, Calum Worthy, Matthew Moy and Kate Comer, EW has confirmed.

• Love 7
(edited)

TV Line's Ask Ausiello Live facebook chat today...

-- Michael Ausiello and Andy Swift mentioned the Supergirl recasting news about Erica Durance. Michael said his first reaction was to wonder if ED was old enough to play Kara's mother. 

-- Matt Mitovich said that he spoke to Candice Patton at the Saturn Awards, and she said: The Flash picks up six months later, Iris is going to be struggling with Barry's absence, and this season is when they'll really start to "scratch the surface of Iris being a well-rounded, well-developed member of the Flash universe."

-- Matt also said the new Flash villain is probably going to be The Thinker.

-- Regarding the Arrowverse mega crossover, Matt mentioned that in the Flash finale, the WestAllen wedding "save the date" card had a November date. He said that he talked to Candice about this and will report on what she said in a future column.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Brianna – I have to say that Oliver definitely had the best arc this season, in terms of growth. Season five put him through the ringer thanks to Prometheus, from having him accidentally kill Detective Malone to being tortured by the man and kidnapping his son and his friends only to make him choose between his son or his friends. He went through so much, but in the process, we were able to see how much he’s grown from what he’s gone through the last ten years. It was great to see especially during 5b.

I like that even someone that thought season five was great doesn't start counting stuff as great until 509.  The start of the season is a blur of mostly boring stuff.  

4 hours ago, tv echo said:

TV Line's Ask Ausiello Live facebook chat today...

-- Michael Ausiello and Andy Swift mentioned the Supergirl recasting news about Erica Durance. Michael said his first reaction was to wonder if ED was old enough to play Kara's mother. 

-- Matt Mitovich said that he spoke to Candice Patton at the Saturn Awards, and she said: The Flash picks up six months later, Iris is going to be struggling with Barry's absence, and this season is when they'll really start to "scratch the surface of Iris being a well-rounded, well-developed member of the Flash universe."

-- Matt also said the new Flash villain is probably going to be The Thinker.

-- Regarding the Arrowverse mega crossover, Matt mentioned that in the Flash finale, the WestAllen wedding "save the date" card had a November date. He said that he talked to Candice about this and will report on what she said in a future column.

I'll believe it when I see it, lol.  And how sad that they are still only going to START to scratch the surface for Iris?

It's funny that Ausiello wondered if ED was old enough to play Alura.  ED is 39.  Laura Berlanti is only 37.    

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

It's funny that Ausiello wondered if ED was old enough to play Alura.  ED is 39.  Laura Berlanti is only 37.    

I have to admit that it was my first thought too, until I checked the ages.  This is going to sound horrible and I don't mean it that way, but I would have thought Laura Benanti was older.  I'm not sure why exactly, but I was surprised that she's only 37.  Of course I don't know her from anything but Supergirl, so that may be coloring my perception.

• Love 2
(edited)

If Olicity gets WestAllen castoff wedding...?

Wait, what if the WestAllen wedding makes Oliver and Felicity all shmoopy and they elope during the crossover? ???

Supergirl is casting women in their late thirties as the mother of a twenty something while Arrow's male lead is their age. Ah the CW. 

Edited by leopardprint
2 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Wait, what if the WestAllen wedding makes Oliver and Felicity all shmoopy and they elope during the crossover? ???

I don't think they will have time. I'm hoping Olicity wedding will be early early in the season like ep 5 since my hopes of a 620 wedding are now dashed.

Just now, statsgirl said:

Season 3the crossover was Dec  3; s4 it was Dec 2nd, and s5 it was Nov 30.

Thanks hun!

Anyone remember the date on the card? I recall it was early November?

Is the crossover usually ep 8 or so?

I suppose I should be happy with any kind of Olicity wedding! Will talk myself into it! Eventually! 

6 minutes ago, leopardprint said:

Supergirl is casting women in their late thirties as the mother of a twenty something while Arrow's male lead is their age. Ah the CW. 

At least in Supergirl's case Allura was only supposed to be old enough to have a 12 year old daughter, not a totally grown up one.  

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I'll believe it when I see it, lol.  And how sad that they are still only going to START to scratch the surface for Iris?

My thoughts exactly. I worry that they're going to start giving us something good for Iris while Barry's still gone and then the moment he's back, that's going to disappear. Or they'll be like, "so, this happened for Iris over the summer..." while updating Barry on what he missed.  

• Love 2