Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Perhaps Crayola will miraculously grow brains if Felicity raises him?

I actually think that Felicity can still be Overwatch if she gets a good sleeper. Felicity herself barely sleeps anyway being Overwatch so if she gets a champ sleeper she can be Overwatch while the Olicitot (someone brilliant came up with this) has a 7pm to 7am sleep. 

It's just the daytime job front I can't solve!

Edited by Mellowyellow

I don't think adding Olicity babies is needed for this show (Felicity is still plenty young to put that off.  Let it happen just as the show ends to keep things simple), BUT I think the show could handle a kid if it needed to.  We saw that with how they juggled and used baby Sara.  As an infant, she was actually a really effective addition IMO.  (Not so much JJ.  Sorry kid.0  They'd just have to get someone Felicity and Oliver could have come get the kid anytime they needed help.  (Either mom moves to Star City or Argus hooks them up with NinjaNanny) That way kid is mostly offscreen.  

26 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

I actually think that Felicity can still be Overwatch if she gets a good sleeper. Felicity herself barely sleeps anyway being Overwatch so if she gets a champ sleeper she can be Overwatch while the Olicitot (someone brilliant came up with this) has a 7pm to 7am sleep. 

It's just the daytime job front I can't solve!

If they did that, then she'd probably end up being Overwatch remotely rather than at the bunker, which really probably would be fine but I never want her kept from the rest of the cast for long.  I'd need Oliver and Felicity to renovate the upper floors above the bunker so she could just use a baby monitor or something, lol.  

As for the daytime job, I get the impression that for one, Team Arrow doesn't hit the streets every night unless there's something big going on or they get a report.  And criminals like to sleep as well so I don't think the team is up all night usually anyway.  

@BkWurm1 see between all of us we can make Olicity babies work!

I agree with you about keeping it off show but there are soooooo many opportunities for cuteness and hilarity with a preggers Felicity waddling around.

I am rather fond of EBR though and do not wish a big fake belly attachment thingy on her. 

• Love 1

I will get angry if WestAllen gets married before Olicity, but I wouldn't be shocked at all. Everything about WA seems rushed like how olicity was in season 4 even though it made sense that Oliver and Felicity who were travelling the world for 6months would be ready for marriage than Barry and iris who were only living together for a bit.

I want Olicity's wedding's to be like Dyla's and they promoted Dyla's wedding as well. I think The Arrow accounts has more interest in promoting Olicity than the flash account has promoting WestAllen. 

(edited)

Baby Sara had an ARGUS nanny so that Lyla could work.  The only show where I think a baby would fit in is The Flash and that's because Iris essentially has so little to do on Team Flash.  Kara, Sara and Amaya are all too busy to be able to take time out to take care of a child.

3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

Perhaps Crayola will miraculously grow brains if Felicity raises him?

Actually it would be better for Oliver and Felicity if he doesn't -- he'll be easier to entertain this way. As Stanley Coren said about dogs, if you're not going to be home during the day, get a stupid dog.  By the time they realize you're not home, you'll be back again.

3 hours ago, Mellowyellow said:

One of the biggest myths they tell you about graduate school is that you can write your papers while the baby sleeps.  Babies rarely sleep enough to get real work done.  Can you imagine how crazy Felicity would be if she was in the zone coding and was interrupted? A lot?

Mary Pratt was a still life artist who was married to water colour artist Christopher Pratt.  I remember an interview with her in which she was asked why she painted still life (bowls of fruit etc) and she replied that it was because she could leave it when one of her four children interrupted her and it would be just the same when she go back to it.

I don't want Felicity pulled away from Team Arrow because she has a child.  Maybe in a few years, when she has trained someone else to take over her role.  Ironically, Oliver can take the time away to be mayor because he's go Diggle, Rene, Curtis and Dinah to take over his jobs on Team Arrow.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

So, now that the entire Arrowverse is wrapped up for the season, who had the best season? Here is my opinion:

1. Legends of Tomorrow: Definitely Most Improved Player of the season. I liked the first season quite a lot, but the second season was very much an improvement, with better characters, better villains, and a commitment to comic book fun mixed with character growth and pathos. It had a few bumps when it came to characterization, in my opinion, but it was such a fun season, and the character issues were really minor, all things considered, and I ended the season loving all the characters and the chemistry between each other. It mixed drama, humor, and action in just about the best way it could, and it took wacky premises, and made them actually work within the story. It was just a great, super fun superhero series.

2. Arrow: This season really struggled at first, but I think it pulled it together towards the end. It got bogged down in pointless subplots (Samantha Who?) and too much focus was put on the newbies (did we need so much time on the parental drama of Rene?) but it also gave us some really great episodes, and there was still great acting and fight sequences. Even the last episode was a mixed bad. It had some good scenes, and some really stupid ones. That's the season in a nutshell. It was a mixed bag. It had a few really good episodes, but it also had a lot of really boring or stupid episodes. A very flawed season, but I still think it was an improvement on previous seasons.

3. Supergirl: This show had a really troubled season, but I thought it has enough highlights to make it worth our time. This season was majorly hurt by its romantic plots (EVERYONE got a damn romance. Except poor James), and trying to shove Kara/Mon-El down our collective throats, and struggling with finding an arc for its lead character. I ended up actually warming to Mon-El, but I felt that the constant focus on him in the beginning really hurt the character, and his romance with Kara. It also lead to Kara spending less time on her other major relationships, especially with poor James, who was utterly ignored all season, and  Alex, who was mostly off in her own romantic subplot (granted, it was one of the better plots), which lead to some wonky character stuff, and made the season quite disappointing. That being said, I liked the increased focus on the DEO (even if it meant that Karas reporting career was put on the backburner) and more screen time for Lena, who is a totally awesome character. Also, I think the show suffered for trying to go to political, in ways that seemed cheap and easy, instead of interesting. The alien immigrants (literally) thing wasn't subtle, but it at least had a point, but the show spent so much time pointlessly dropping political buzzwords and slams against their political opponents, it seemed lame. But still, it had some good episodes, and the latter half of the season was an improvement.

4. The Flash: I feel bad, because I cant say it was an awful season or anything, it still had strong performances from its main cast, and I did enjoy some parts and thought it ended on a decent note, but this was definitely the shows worst season. Its attempts at being darker just didn't work. At all. Arrow can do angst. This show just seems mopey and pathetic, and all the characters come off as idiots or assholes, or they just don't do anything. And, yeah, the gender stuff is a real problem. I know that Supergirl had its gender problems this season, but it didn't have shit on the mess that was Flash this season. I mean, the only two main female characters are basically damsels in distress who must be saved by The Men all season, not having any agency in their own stories until the very end. The character stuff was also not super great, especially with Caitlyn. The poor woman has nothing in the way of a real arc, and nothing about her turning evil makes any sense. At all. Like I said, the show ended on a decent note, and it had its moments, but it was an extremely disappointing season for a once really fun show.

Anyway, just my thoughts!

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

So, now that the entire Arrowverse is wrapped up for the season, who had the best season? Here is my opinion:

It's kind of funny. I saw every season as partially a reaction to their last seasons in some form. LoT improved on itself from s1 by focusing on aspects it did best, Supergirl tried to kind of "youthify" itself from its first season because of the jump to the CW, Flash went a similar way s2 to s3 that Arrow did in s3 to s4 where it partially doubled down on angst aspects of their plots/characters even though they were called out on it, and Arrow (imo) had a flipped result for its seasons with 4a being better than 4b and 5b being better than 5a which at least kind of tells me that they were trying to balance out things (with mixed results) in a different way from s4.

• Love 1

I am the lone voice who enjoyed Supergirl quite a bit this season. It improved as it went along and once Kara and Mon El stopped being silly twits they were actually really cute and efficient together. Their finale was really good.

There was nothing wrong with Flash this season (maybe a bit dreary) but nothing really great either. I found myself not paying that much attention to it as it strikes me as boring a lot of the time.

5A of Arrow was terrible and I loathed it and it made me all kinds of angry. 519 to 523 were pretty damn good and I have watched so many moments again and again! 519 and 520 were squee worthy and AMAZING and feel like they were my reward for enduring 5A. 

So I'd say on the balance Supergirl and Arrow were pretty good with both of them nailing it in the second half of the season! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Cleanqueen said:

I want Olicity's wedding's to be like Dyla's and they promoted Dyla's wedding as well. I think The Arrow accounts has more interest in promoting Olicity than the flash account has promoting WestAllen. 

I've honestly always felt that they were sidelined in their own wedding. Ray cracked "funny" and for Dig and Lyla it was, Do you? -I do. And then freakin' Amanda Waller showed up.

• Love 3
(edited)

I didn't watch Flash or Supergirl this year. I thought that LoT was a great improvement over last season, but it's such a different show from Arrow that I can't compare them. I enjoy watching LoT, but it's not must-see TV for me.

Arrow is still my favorite despite its many flaws. I actually would put this season and last season on the same level because each had one good half and one bad half. In fact, if you combined S4A with S5B (yes, I know, the storylines don't match), you'd have one great season. As it is, S4 failed in its second half and S5 failed in its first half. However, S5 might get a slight overall edge only because human Adrian Chase was a superior villain to magical Damian Darhk.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, bijoux said:

I've honestly always felt that they were sidelined in their own wedding. Ray cracked "funny" and for Dig and Lyla it was, Do you? -I do. And then freakin' Amanda Waller showed up.

That is true, perhaps a step up from Dyla's then. I want Oliver and Felicity to be involved in a mission and then have the ceremony towards the end of the episode. Simple and quiet and still impactful. I did like the 4x16 wedding, if you ignore felicity being pissed off and the lack of attendants. I would also just want them to give Felicity a better dress, something simple yet elegant. 

55 minutes ago, tv echo said:

GJ did not tweet anything for the Arrow finale, the Supergirl finale or the LoT finale...

he was always a Flash stan. I think the last time GJ mentioned Arrow was when he quoted Marc's tweet about Felicity's storyline in 4x11. 

• Love 1

Floriana Lima is returning to Supergirl in season 3, but not as a series regular, EW has learned. She will take on a recurring role next season. 

The actress joined the Greg Berlanti superhero drama in season 2 as Detective Maggie Sawyer, who struck up a romantic relationship with Alex Danvers (Chyler Leigh) for an emotional coming out story that culminated in the couple getting engaged by season’s end. 

According to a statement from executive producer Andrew Kreisberg, Lima’s role has been reduced because she is “looking to pursue other opportunities.” While we know she’ll be back for “multiple episodes,” the exact number remains a mystery. 

I knew that she'd be dropped to recurring. Floriana didn't have all that much to do this season, besides being Alex's girlfriend, so I figured that she'd probably appear in less episodes.But the whole "looking for other opportunities" does tend to worry me. It does sound like Alex/Maggie's future is bleak. Again, something I assumed would happen, but my main question is if it really IS her choice, as AK is implying.

• Love 1
(edited)

I tend to think so, actually.  Maybe I'm getting my gossip mixed up, but wasn't there a blind item awhile back that insinuated that she's pretty ambitious (not that there's anything wrong with being ambitious) and is looking for bigger things?

I do know she IS dating Casey Affleck, not that that necessarily has anything to do with anything, but maybe she has bigger opportunities than being the love interest for a supporting character on a CW show.

Edited by Starfish35
51 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I knew that she'd be dropped to recurring. Floriana didn't have all that much to do this season, besides being Alex's girlfriend, so I figured that she'd probably appear in less episodes.But the whole "looking for other opportunities" does tend to worry me. It does sound like Alex/Maggie's future is bleak. Again, something I assumed would happen, but my main question is if it really IS her choice, as AK is implying.

I think it is her choice. The writers went full throttle with this relationship, dropping her full time wouldn't make sense especially with that ending. I think she decided to go part time due to shooting in Vancouver.

• Love 2

If she has fewer episode but is better written in them, I'm for it.  The Alex/Maggie relationship was badly written, I thought, and to give Alex something to do while Kara spent all her time with Mon El.

The Valentine's Day episode highlighted for me how much they didn't care about writing Maggie as anything but a prop.  Maggie told Alex that she hated Valentine's Day and didn't want to celebrate it but Alex did a big 'hearts and flowers' thing anyway.  Maggie got upset, Alex cried, Kara went to Maggie and found out that it was on Valentine's Day that she came out and her parents threw her out of the house because of it.  Kara says that Maggie should give Alex the Valentine's Day she wants because she's liked the day since she was a little girl and Maggie gives in.  Happy ending so Kara can go off with Mon El for their celebration.

The interesting story was Maggie's but she was just a small speed bump in the "Kara makes everyone happy because Mon El makes her happy" plot.  (Yes another reason I don't like Mon El.)

(edited)

Was looking over some old posts discussing separation tropes,

On 3/1/2017 at 7:41 PM, BkWurm1 said:

Technically LoT already pulled it with Rip but setting him aside since he got his whole mind rewritten and thought he was someone else, which show do you think will pull the amnesia trope first?  Any guesses on who?

... and Flash did decide to do amnesia this season! However, amnesia!Barry was still in love with Iris. So they used it as almost the opposite of a separation trope. (But then they did separate them with Barry going to another plane of existence, which I was kind of expecting.)

At least Kara and Mon-el are still in the same universe... I hope.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
(edited)

I think it is her choice. The writers went full throttle with this relationship, dropping her full time wouldn't make sense especially with that ending. I think she decided to go part time due to shooting in Vancouver.

Yeah, the relationship didn't get a lot of total screentime but the writers seemed invested in it and they went further with it than I would expect if it was TPTB's decision to drop her. And this season has gotten a very mixed response but that story was one of the things that was generally well received. 

Edited by Oreo2234
(edited)

I didn't have specific complaints about their relationship, but I did miss Alex doing more for the DEO and spending time with Kara.  For a while at least, Alex had most of her scenes with Maggie, Kara with Mon-El, and J'onn with M'gann.  And while I didn't hate any of the pairings (though I had to work to let go of of M'gann being his honorary niece)  I really started missing the earlier dynamics.

M'gann is already reocurring and Mon-El is currently sucked into some worm hole (and allergic to earth, lol) so Maggie being around only sporadically as well works for me.  Alex is such a fun charcter when paired with just about anyone so her character won't suffer.  I think they could keep Maggie around like they do Lyla for Diggle.  Maybe give Maggie a new job that involves some traveling and it all keeps working just fine.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
(edited)

I didn't have specific complaints about their relationship, but I did miss Alex doing more for the DEO and spending time with Kara.

Yeah I did miss Alex and Kara's scenes a lot. Hopefully with Floriana on recurring and Mon-el's big storyline surrounding Rhea over, there will be more time for them to interact. 

Floriana just tweeted that the role was only meant for one season but she's excited to return for season three. I wonder if Mon-el was only originally meant for one season too but he seems to be returning as a regular based on the press release. 

Edited by Oreo2234
41 minutes ago, Oreo2234 said:

Floriana just tweeted that the role was only meant for one season but she's excited to return for season three.

That's surprising. Though I suppose reasonable. I wonder where they initially intended to end them.  

Still seems weird to me. Plenty of roles are only meant for 1 season and end up getting extended. I think it is more like she only signed a 1 year contract and just wasn't interested in being tied down any longer then that like Colton. 

• Love 1

Colton asked to step back because he was having anxiety issues.  The EPs covered by saying that he had only signed for two years, much like the actor playing Zack on Bones asked to step back because of his bipolar disorder.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Colton asked to step back because he was having anxiety issues.  The EPs covered by saying that he had only signed for two years, much like the actor playing Zack on Bones asked to step back because of his bipolar disorder.

There really isn't anything to contradict the contract. His contract could be the same and he could still ask to stepaway.

(edited)

"I asked to step away because I cared more about my mental and physical health than my career at the time,” Haynes revealed to Entertainment Weekly. “I’ve had terminal anxiety my entire life. Physically ill, fainting. I’m 27 years old, and I have an ulcer. I had to step back.”

I think the fact that he asked suggests that his contract was longer.   Same for Willa who had her appearances altered, if that's true.   Contract negotiations weren't up yet. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 1
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I think the fact that he asked suggests that his contract was longer.   Same for Willa who had her appearances altered, if that's true.   Contact negotiations weren't up. 

I could have sworn early on that Colton said he signed for 3 years. I thought the whole "we only had him for limited time" was a cover story. I remember thinking when Berlanti gave the post mortems that it was all bull to cover the fact that they wanted to get rid of a character/actor forced on them by The CW. Later when Colton revealed his anxiety issues it seemed like Berlanti was covering for Colton until he was ready to talk about it.

I don't think Colton was only signed for S2 and S3.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 7
17 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I think the fact that he asked suggests that his contract was longer.   Same for Willa who had her appearances altered, if that's true.   Contact negotiations weren't up. 

He could've easily had asked to step away at the beginning/middle of the season to give the writers time to write his character off. There really isn't a reason why they would have to make up a lie about his contract expiring at the end of S3. Either way they knew he was leaving of his own accord and by no surprise kind of screwed his character over in S3.

Another reason why they should have sent KC to LOT.

1 minute ago, apinknightmare said:

I hope Darhk shows up riding on a dinosaur in the premiere. 

The Darhkstones! #AModernStoneAgeEvilFamily!

• Love 3

Damian Darhk is a much better fit on LoT.  But KC would be better on The Flash; putting her on a show with Caity Lotz and Maisie Richardson is asking for comparisons.

1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Later when Colton revealed his anxiety issues it seemed like Berlanti was covering for Colton until he was ready to talk about it.

It seems like Berlanti was fond of him.  At the end of the season, he invited Colton and EBR to cruise the Mediterranean with him and his husband.

58 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

He could've easily had asked to step away at the beginning/middle of the season to give the writers time to write his character off. There really isn't a reason why they would have to make up a lie about his contract expiring at the end of S3. Either way they knew he was leaving of his own accord and by no surprise kind of screwed his character over in S3.

IMO his character was screwed over because they wanted to put both Thea/Speedy and Laurel/Black Canary on Team Arrow, including a training story for Laurel, as well as the Ra's story and setting up Ray for a spin-off.  There was simply no time for Roy until  his hero moments at the end of the season.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

They made up the lie for Colton clearly.   He was losing his mind and needed to stop working.   Greg was super chill and didn't out him because Colton didn't need even more stress.   We don't know when Colton' s anxiety reached the point where he needed to leave fans,  critics cast and crew seemed to love him.   I'm not sure of your point. 

• Love 4

There was never a doubt that he was loved by all. Just that they wouldn't need to lie about his contract when they could simply say that "Colton has decided to leave and pursue other opportunities". They knew he wasn't returning for S4 and did a poor job of handling his storyline during S3.

Saying that is similar to throwing Colton under the bus in terms of the fandom.   Using contracts as a reason sounds much more legal and that it wasn't up to parties and it was the deal from the get go.

• Love 1

There is still a huge stigma about mental illness and Colton wasn't ready to come about his.  Saying it was a decisions by the EPs takes the heat off of him. 

And puts it on the EPs which makes it doubly nice that Berlanti was willing to take the hit.

• Love 17
2 hours ago, Chaser said:

Another reason why they should have sent KC to LOT.

Oh hell no.  I couldn't care less what they do with her on Arrow anymore, but keep her away from the one show I still do care about, please and thank you.  

• Love 2