Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

The network hasn't done anything extra to promote the fact that the shows are coming back from hiatus, as far as I can tell. Everything that has been keeping the Arrow buzz going has been generated by MG (the sizzle reel and Tumblr Q&As) and the paparazzi (spoiling who's filming)

I'd at least say that the sizzle reel counts as extra promotion in general, (since not even Flash got a sizzle reel for some reason), so I'm wondering if it might make a difference for 519, like saving it from its .4 or .5 that it could probably get from hiatus/preemption.

Just now, BkWurm1 said:

Edited:  Or maybe not.  I just remembered that 520 is getting preempted in, what was it, Los Angeles?  Big market.

Yeah, this week and next week are preempted, IIRC.

5 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'm assuming a paid service like CBS launched and one CW contemplated during negotiations with Tribune.

But the one that CW contemplated when it thought it might lose all those other channels, I didn't think that was a paid deal.  (I was in an area that wasn't going to be affected so I could be getting my facts wrong)  Oh and I refuse to consider paying for CBS's channel on principal. (They are a broadcast network.  Just broadcast your shows!)  Not sure if I'd be willing either to do it for one show on the new WB platform.  

Edited by BkWurm1
6 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

But the one that CW contemplated when it thought it might lose all those other channels, I didn't think that was a paid deal.  (I was in an area that wasn't going to be affected so I could be getting my facts wrong)  Oh and I refuse to consider paying for CBS's channel.  Not sure if I'd be willing to do it for one show on the new WB platform.  

TWC/CBS Contemplating Paid Streaming Service

CBS Corp. and Time Warner Inc.’s Warner Bros. have discussed creating a paid streaming service for their jointly owned CW network to generate more income from the young fans who already watch shows like “Jane the Virgin’’ online, two people with knowledge of the matter said.

The owners are weighing the move as the expiration approaches for the CW’s current agreement with station owner Tribune Media Co., as well as deals with streaming partners Netflix Inc. and Hulu LLC, said the people, who asked not to be identified because the talks are preliminary.

Edited by Morrigan2575
2 minutes ago, way2interested said:

I'd at least say that the sizzle reel counts as extra promotion in general, (since not even Flash got a sizzle reel for some reason),

From the way MG was talking about it, it sounds like it's something the show decided to put together, not the network. (In one of his Q&As he said that he's in charge of the sizzle reels that are shown at SDCC and like the one just released, while the network does the episode promos.) Network PR seems to be sleeping on the job, as usual.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Thanks for the link.  Yeah, they must have been kicking around a lot of options if their negotiations fell through.  I only remembered that since my market wasn't affected, I wasn't going to have any changes.  That article makes it sound like they'd eventually drop any broadcast channels.  Wonder if that's just been kicked down the road at this point.  

2 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

From the way MG was talking about it, it sounds like it's something the show decided to put together, not the network. (In one of his Q&As he said that he's in charge of the sizzle reels that are shown at SDCC and like the one just released, while the network does the episode promos.) Network PR seems to be sleeping on the job, as usual.

Yeah.  He's been doing a lot to keep the buzz going this hiatus.  Did The Flash or Supergirl peeps do anything similar?  (I haven't been in their threads for weeks)

3 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Fast-Demo-2017-Apr-24.MON_.png

Wow  .... Monday ratings. 

You can see why networks love reality shows so much .....not only do they cost a fraction of scripted shows to make, they're the only shows that got over 0.9 in the ratings, other than a Big Bang Theory repeat.

It doesn't augur well for the WGA strike.

Just now, wonderwall said:

TBBT is utter trash. I can't believe it does so well. smh, America -_-

I also really like Taco Bell.  Sometimes trash is just what you want!  ;)

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Sometimes what you want is not what you need or what's best for you :p

Some days I agree with you.  Hahahahaha #runtotheborder 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, BkWurm1 said:

I guess the good thing about the very likely low ratings for this week's Arrow episode is we'll see a measurable bump for next week.

Edited:  Or maybe not.  I just remembered that 520 is getting preempted in, what was it, Los Angeles?  Big market. 

Yeah, I think the ratings are gonna be pretty bad for 519 and 520. But this is what happens when they go on 3-4 week breaks with little to no promo and/or get preempted. It is what it is.

I can already predict who parts of the internet will blame though and it ends it licity. LOL.

Edited by Guest
2 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

Yeah, I think the ratings are gonna be pretty bad for 519 and 520. But this is what happens when they go on 3-4 week breaks with little to no promo and/or get preempted. It is what it is.

I can already predict who will get the blame though and it ends it licity. LOL.

Not for nothing but in S1 Arrow came back from a long break with the same ratings.

In S2 it dropped 2 tenths (post lunge).

In S3 the show took more smaller breaks instead of a large break in April.

In S4 Arrow actually came back from the long break up a tenth.

Which means, it's anyone's guess as to what Arrow will do on Wednesday.  

As for the rest, who cares?  

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Not for nothing but in S1 Arrow came back from a long break with the same ratings.

In S2 it dropped 2 tenths (post lunge).

In S3 the show took more smaller breaks instead of a large break in April.

In S4 Arrow actually came back from the long break up a tenth.

Which means, it's anyone's guess as to what Arrow will do on Wednesday.  

As for the rest, who cares?  

S4 dropped massively after the long break, unless I'm misremembering. It was after the break-up episode.

Not that it really matters, I was just stating my opinion. 

15 minutes ago, Angel12d said:

S4 dropped massively after the long break, unless I'm misremembering. It was after the break-up episode.

S4 had two long breaks, one after 415 (4 weeks) in March, and another after 418 (3 weeks) in April. It came back up 0.1 in demo after the latter.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

S4 had two long breaks, one after 415 (4 weeks) in March, and another after 418 (3 weeks) in April. It came back up 0.1 in demo after the latter.

Ah. I remember the first one but not the second! It's crazy to go on such long breaks, IMO. 

16 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

Was she ever off the show? 

Physically yeah. 

There were plenty of peeps who said the show would be better off without her and a better show usually would lead to better/steadier ratings. 

Just watched the Flash episode. Barry goes into the future to see what a selfish asshole he is after being a selfish asshole. Caitlin turns evil, he spends half a second helping his team with her, then says he's going to the future to save Iris. He only thinks about saving the people he loves, I guess Caitlin didn't make the list. Even when Oliver is being the biggest idiot in the world he's still more of hero than Barry. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 14

So Flash basically showed the darkest timeline - a timeline the audience knows they're not going to follow through with. No offense to the writers, but that's possibly the dumbest storyline they could've done considering it lowers the stakes a lot. This show is so dumb. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, wonderwall said:

So Flash basically showed the darkest timeline - a timeline the audience knows they're not going to follow through with. No offense to the writers, but that's possibly the dumbest storyline they could've done considering it lowers the stakes a lot. This show is so dumb. 

It's a sci-fi trope. ::shrug:: I like seeing alternate realities. Legends has done it like at least 3 times now.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, wonderwall said:

The flashforward to a distopian future doesn't bother me, it's an interesting what if, but there were so many logic fails while they did it.  Like Barry afraid to talk about why he was there in the future for fear that his time travel could mess something up.  Except that he's in the FUTURE. Nothing he says based on his knowledge of the PAST, a past that Cisco shared is going to create some problem.  And on top of that, the whole idea is to take info from the future and take it back to change the past so why does he care what happens in a time line he's hoping to replace?

Really, he's the one getting all the dangerous new info that alters the past. And why doesn't anyone get that Barry going back to change the past fixes the future as well?  Meaning that anything he fixes in the future is just a waste of his time cause he's going to go back and make sure it never gets that bad in the first place. 

At least when Sara and Ray tried to help a future Oliver they didn't know if it was a permanent future or just a version of the future that could happen.  And I expected them not to understand the concept of time travel even if Rip kept trying to explain.  Barry and Cisco shouldn't be this thick.  

And it never even occurs to either Barry that if the info they need to save Iris only exists four years after Iris dies, that Barry could just zip over to that time and get it???  Soooo frustrating. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 10
13 minutes ago, way2interested said:

So if the other DC shows are getting posters themed for their next week's episodes, Arrow's going to get a 520-themed one, right? Right? .....Right?

We've been good we deserve nice things- however unfortunately we still have Chico so for all our luck she'll accidentally forget Arrow or put all the  newbies on the poster instead.

AoS's alternate reality episodes this season are so much better than the Arrowverse's alternate reality episodes (Flashpoint, 100th episode, Doomworld) that it's not funny.  It's like the AoS showrunners actually put a lot of - you know - thought into their storyline and characters.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 10
17 minutes ago, LeighAn said:

put all the  newbies on the poster instead.

"Arrow, starring the Hero We Deserve...Wild Dog!" *pukes forever*

As much as people have (rightfully) complained about the gender issues over on Supergirl, I think The Flash is failing a million times harder when it comes to gender. I thought the last episode of Supergirl was actually a pretty solid showing, focusing on Kara herself and her friendship with Lena, with Mon-El as a supporting presence who is there to back Kara up. I can deal with that. However, The Flash is trapped in two never ending stories where the only two main female characters around are reduced to damsels in distress to be protected and saved by the men. We have the never ending boredom of Savitar and his destiny to kill Iris, who is reduced to the girl that all the men in her life obsess over saving, and Caitlyn becoming inexplicably evil when she gets her powers, even though its never been explained why this is happening, and we already have had plenty of characters who have gotten powers and not turned evil. Caitlyn gets a full on Jerkly/Hyde plot, with all the guys trying to find ways to save her from her own powers, and its never explained why, or why Caitlyn cant use her powers and still be herself. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad alone, but together, when you have two female characters and they are BOTH put in these "must be protected" positions, while the guys all get to be heroic, its a real problem.

I'm not saying the other CW shows are all paragons of feminism, but none of them come close to the Flashes issues.

• Love 14

I think it's not so much that they're bad at writing women on The Flash, it's that they don't write women as anything but props for the men.  Why Caitlin has to turn evil and can't use her powers and be herself gets as much thought as who feeds the people in the tunnel.  Women don't matter at all on The Flash except to prop the men's stories (e.g. Joe's angst at finding out he has a son he never knew about vs Iris growing up thinking her other was dead when she wasn't; Joe asking Barry if it's okay for Wall to move in but not Iris).  I know there are women who work on the show, like Sarah Schechter who is credited as an EP, what are they doing?

16 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

The flashforward to a distopian future doesn't bother me, it's an interesting what if, but there were so many logic fails while they did it.  Like Barry afraid to talk about why he was there in the future for fear that his time travel could mess something up.  Except that he's in the FUTURE. Nothing he says based on his knowledge of the PAST, a past that Cisco shared is going to create some problem.  And on top of that, the whole idea is to take info from the future and take it back to change the past so why does he care what happens in a time line he's hoping to replace?

Really, he's the one getting all the dangerous new info that alters the past. And why doesn't anyone get that Barry going back to change the past fixes the future as well?  Meaning that anything he fixes in the future is just a waste of his time cause he's going to go back and make sure it never gets that bad in the first place.

I was watching a repeat of Stargate's Mobius episodes, which were all about time travel and problems it causes.  Not only did they have the woman on the team keep explaining the problems with altering the future, they constantly dealt realistically about changing time.

On The Flash, it was just a cool thing they did to show how sad Barry is without Iris.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Yeah, but he just seems like such a baby. And I feel like you don't hear about too many actors (guys) getting married in their twenties.

Unlike Melissa who is currently dating  Chris Wood and seems incapable of starting a work place romance no matter the show.