Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

The Justice League Dark animated film (with Matt Ryan voicing Constantine, expected to be released straight to dvd/blu-ray) is different from the Justice League Dark live action film (to be directed by Doug Liman, expected to play a major role in the new DC cinematic universe)...

JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK LIVE-ACTION MOVIE IS A GO
Matt McGloin  August 24, 2016
http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/justice-league-dark-live-action-movie-go

With the animated Justice League Dark movie coming out, many speculated that spelled the end of the live-action version, but it's learned that is not the case.

Variety reports the live-action Dark Universe (Justice League Dark) movie is moving forward with Doug Liman attached to direct, with Scott Rudin producing, and Michael Gilio writing the script.

DC's Justice League Dark Just Took A Huge Step Forward, Get The Details
BY ADAM HOLMES  August 24, 2016
http://www.cinemablend.com/news/1549040/dcs-justice-league-dark-just-took-a-huge-step-forward-get-the-details

Although most of the Justice League Dark's characters have been part of the DC Comics universe for years, the team was officially formed at the start of the New 52 in 2011. The movie hasn't added any actors yet, but it was rumored that Colin Farrell is being eyed to play John Constantine, Ron Perlman for Swamp Thing and Ewan McGregor for an unidentified role. Anton Arcane was rumored at one time to be the main antagonist. DC is also making a Justice League Dark animated movie for release next year, so this team magical heroes is about to become a lot more well known among general audiences.

The Justice League Dark animated film is reportedly going to be released on DVD, Blu-ray, and digital download this fall. Here's a sneak peek:

Edited by tv echo

Interesting - and somewhat surprising (if true)...

The 18 Richest Arrowverse Actors
By Julia Bianco  08.02.2016
http://screenrant.com/richest-arrowverse-actors/

The shows have helped to launch the careers of many young actors and revitalize the careers of more seasoned veterans of the field. With how much of a ratings boon they have been for the network, its no surprise that the stars on them have been able to make some serious cash— young actors like Grant Gustin, Caity Lotz, and Emily Bett Rickards have all been able to accrue $2 million net worths, despite their limited number of acting credits outside The CW shows.

However, their wealth pales in comparison when placed next to some of their costars who, between their impressive resumes in film, television, theater, music, and more, have earned quite a lot of money throughout their time in the spotlight. Here are The 18 Richest Arrowverse Actors. ... (read more)

18. KATIE CASSIDY – $2.5 MILLION
17. STEPHEN AMELL – $2.5 MILLION
16. DANIELLE PANABAKER – $3 MILLION
15. PAUL BLACKTHORNE – $3 MILLION
14. TOM CAVANAGH – $3 MILLION
13. MELISSA BENOIST – $3 MILLION
12. JEREMY JORDAN – $3 MILLION
11. ARTHUR DARVILL – $3.5 MILLION
10. NEAL MCDONOUGH – $3.5 MILLION
9. COLTON HAYNES – $4 MILLION
8. WENTWORTH MILLER – $4 MILLION
7. JOHN BARROWMAN – $4 MILLION
6. CHYLER LEIGH – $5 MILLION
5. VICTOR GARBER – $5 MILLION
4. WILLA HOLLAND – $5 MILLION
3. JESSE L. MARTIN – $10 MILLION
2. BRANDON ROUTH – $12 MILLION
1. CALISTA FLOCKHART – $24 MILLION

Edited by tv echo

Spoilery - plus an Arrow comparison...

‘Supergirl’ EP Andrew Kreisberg on Season 2 and Tyler Hoechlin’s “Aw Shucks” Superman
BY CHRISTINA RADISH August 25, 2016
http://collider.com/supergirl-season-2-superman-andrew-kreisberg-interview/

KREISBERG: ... As always, with any of these things, we’re never doing a direct adaptation of a specific comic book. We cherry pick the best parts and things that we love....
KREISBERG: Yeah. We’re so proud of Supergirl last season, but it reminded us, a little bit, of Season 1 of Arrow. We knew there was a great show in there and, every once in awhile, we would make it great, but we didn’t know how to do it consistently yet. We really feel like this year, at least for us creatively, we’ve cracked the code and we’re coming out of the gate strong. It’s almost the same trajectory that we had on Arrow, where we started to figure it out towards the back half of Season 1, and we’re coming out of the gate really strong with Season 2. Season 1s are tough. There was also the added pressure of having the first female superhero on TV, in a long time. There was a lot of expectation that the audience had, that the network had, that the studio had, and that we had for ourselves. It took awhile to put all of that aside and just start telling the right stories. It’s always been my experience that shows tell you what they want to be. Now, with the stories that we’re telling, Supergirl is finally becoming what it should be.

Then this ScreenCrush guy extrapolated from AK's second quote (above) as follows...

‘Supergirl’ Producer Says Season 2 Improves Just Like ‘Arrow’ Did
Kevin Fitzpatrick August 25, 2016
http://screencrush.com/supergirl-season-2-arrow-improvement-andrew-kreisberg/

However many loved Season 1 of CBS’ Supergirl, few would argue the DC drama suffered a few growing pains, and left room for improvement in Season 2. Moving to The CW (and Vancouver) makes that transition difficult to gauge, but producer Andrew Kreisberg claims Supergirl Season 2 will enjoy the same boon that Arrow did in its revered second run.

Collider had a chance to speak with Kreisberg at the TCA press tour, during which the all-around DC producer admitted a learning curve to Supergirl in its first season. Where Arrow fans accused the first season of leaning more soap opera than superhero, Kreisberg suggests Supergirl experienced similar trial and error, perhaps distracted in breaking certain ceilings: ...

Edited by tv echo
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

Interesting - and somewhat surprising (if true)...

The 18 Richest Arrowverse Actors
By Julia Bianco  08.02.2016
http://screenrant.com/richest-arrowverse-actors/

18. KATIE CASSIDY – $2.5 MILLION
17. STEPHEN AMELL – $2.5 MILLION
16. DANIELLE PANABAKER – $3 MILLION
15. PAUL BLACKTHORNE – $3 MILLION
14. TOM CAVANAGH – $3 MILLION
13. MELISSA BENOIST – $3 MILLION
12. JEREMY JORDAN – $3 MILLION
11. ARTHUR DARVILL – $3.5 MILLION
10. NEAL MCDONOUGH – $3.5 MILLION
9. COLTON HAYNES – $4 MILLION
8. WENTWORTH MILLER – $4 MILLION
7. JOHN BARROWMAN – $4 MILLION
6. CHYLER LEIGH – $5 MILLION
5. VICTOR GARBER – $5 MILLION
4. WILLA HOLLAND – $5 MILLION
3. JESSE L. MARTIN – $10 MILLION
2. BRANDON ROUTH – $12 MILLION
1. CALISTA FLOCKHART – $24 MILLION

That's a weird list. Off the top of my head, it's odd that GG isn't on the list after heading The Flash for two season. In comparison, I didin't get the impression that MB had much chance to accumulate more money prior to their DC shows. And CH is downright surprising. All his roles were smaller stuff, weren't they? His fashion line has just started, so that can't be it. Has he had lucrative endorsement deals?

CH was one of the faces for Abercrombie for a period of time while on Arrow. Maybe it paid well.  Also since net worth = assets-liabilities he might have just invested his money well. Same with MB.

http://www.salon.com/2016/08/26/nerds-of-the-world-unite-the-villains-have-weaponized-canon-and-its-up-to-us-to-stop-it/

The article primarily addresses the reaction to Zendaya getting cast as MJ in the Spiderman movie, but also touches on the problem of comic canon in general.

Within the sizable audiences for those titles are hardcore geeks who read Green Arrow, The Flash and other DC and Marvel titles long before the films and TV series came into existence. These fans love to debate whether a plot point adheres to canon, and whether various twists make sense within those titles’ intricately established universes. Chatting with them can be lively and invigorating; the best inspire exploration of other influential works.

This level of passion grows problematic, however, when one’s dedication to story becomes calcified, exclusive and unwilling to evolve with the times.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, scarynikki12 said:

God help me I just bought a pass to Heroes/Villains Fan Fest for next July. 

Hope you get to ask the cast some tough questions! :p I have a list of questions I want answered but I never will because I don't have the time for cons :(

4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I'll probably just take notes and pictures during the panel.  My goal is some good autograph time.

It seems as though Stephen/David (out of all the Arrow cast) spend the most time talking to fans so hopefully you get it!

This is hilarious...

Watch Thor Explain 'Civil War' Absence in Hilarious Short
By Daniel Kreps  August 28, 2016
http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/news/watch-thor-explain-civil-war-absence-in-hilarious-short-w436541

A burning question that come out of Captain America: Civil War was the whereabouts of Thor, the hammer-wielding superhero who didn't appear in the latest Marvel blockbuster. In a hilarious short film that premiered at Comic Con – but was finally unveiled to the public at large today – Thor explains his Civil War absence: He took some "me" time in Australia.

The clip, helmed by Thor: Ragnarok director Taika Waititi, shares the same humorous, quasi-documentary feel found in Waititi's vampire comedy What We Do in the Shadows. Team Thor features the lonely Norse god's vacation down under, from hanging out with his roommate Darrell to teaching the local students who the Avengers are.

Despite the lightweight nature of the short, it is instrumental in creating a link between Civil War and the upcoming Marvel films Thor: Ragnarok and Avengers: Infinity War. During his break, Thor has figured out that the "purple man in the floating chair" with the Infinity Gauntlet is orchestrating havoc across the universe; Thor will eventually learn that the villain is Thanos.

Mark Ruffalo also cameos as Dr. Bruce Banner, who was similarly absent from Captain America: Civil War; both Banner and the Incredible Hulk will play major roles in Thor: Ragnarok.

Team Thor is included among the bonus features on the Captain America: Civil War home release, due out September 2nd. 

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 11

Ben Affleck Teases DC Universe Villain Deathstroke

Ben Affleck shared a video, which appears to be test footage of DC Universe villainDeathstroke, on all of his social media channels on Monday morning.

It’s unclear whether Deathstroke will be appearing in the upcoming “Justice League” movies or the “Batman” standalone film, but the former is more likely as the superhero mashup is currently filming.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/ben-affleck-deathstroke-batman-justice-league-villain-1201846492/

Edited by looptab

Here's some show-related stuff from the LoT panel that I haven't seen posted yet. 

re: Flashpoint affecting LoT

Spoiler

Caity: They haven't told us. Thus far in our episodes, we haven't dealt with it. I don't know if that means it doesn't affect us.

Re: Hawkgirl coming back to the LoT or Flash 

Ciara: Right now there are no solid plans for anything... For now I think the Hawks are happy doing their own thing, flying off into the sunset, happily ever after, or so we think. ::laughs:: So Who knows? I don't know. We'll have to see.

re: Captain Cold coming back to LoT

Caity: He is coming back. I don't know how. I know we talked about Legion of Doom, so he's not coming back just on Legends. We should see him across the board. I mean, that's going to happen a lot this season, I think. They're prepping this huge crazy crossover right now, which is going to be insane. So hopefully he comes back soon. Hopefully Sara and him get to make out again. 

re: How Laurel's death affects Sara

Caity: She's not over it, that's for sure. I think Sara's still kind of hoping or feeling like "There's gotta be something I can do." It definitely will shape some of her decisions this season. What she thinks about, and what she wants. And may cause a little trouble for the team. 

The movies are gonna ruin Deathstroke too? Yikes. I finally got around to watching Suicide Squad (I managed to avoid BvS but I got outvoted this time around) for this weekend. It wasn't as bad as I expected. I hated their Amanda Waller. What an incredible waste of Viola Davis. An extremely violent and pragmatic authority figure should be a piece of cake for this ~universe~ so I thought for sure they had Amanda Waller in the bag. Nope. She was dumb and her plan(??) was stupid. I'm saying this as someone who sat through an Amanda Waller who tried to bomb a US city because of 15-20 super soldiers. There was audible groaning in my theater when she popped up (out of FREAKING NOWHERE!) in the end. I wish someone had taken one for the team and killed her. I have no idea what she or Enchantress was trying to do or why the squad was formed or what they was deployed for. Everyone except Harley, Deadshot, Rick Flagg was useless and a waste of screentime. Ike Barinholtz(?)'s guard character was more memorable and interesting than most of the named characters. Joker sucked. Most of the fight scenes were eh. But it was better than Man of Steel. So 6.5/10, give Katanna back to Arrow. 

0/3 for DC movies, huh? All the Arrowverse shows have massive issues (and I'm still watching for some reason) but it's kinda funny that despite all the $$$ and logistics the movies can't do much better. I hope Wonderwoman isn't too rough. I'll probably get roped into watching that too at some point. 

• Love 3
35 minutes ago, hogwash said:

I hated their Amanda Waller. What an incredible waste of Viola Davis. An extremely violent and pragmatic authority figure should be a piece of cake for this ~universe~ so I thought for sure they had Amanda Waller in the bag. Nope. She was dumb and her plan(??) was stupid. I'm saying this as someone who sat through an Amanda Waller who tried to bomb a US city because of 15-20 super soldiers. There was audible groaning in my theater when she popped up (out of FREAKING NOWHERE!) in the end. I wish someone had taken one for the team and killed her. I have no idea what she or Enchantress was trying to do or why the squad was formed or what they was deployed for. 

Noooo. As the reviews started coming in, that was the one thing I was hoping for. Because talk about a perfect match of actress and character. I never minded that they offed Arrow's Waller because I never enjoyed her. And now you're saying this one is even worse. :/

I liked Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, I agree her plan was stupid. I blame the writers and director for going with that idea. I did like her personality, she was the Wall. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 2

Viola Davis' Amanda Waller was one of the best thing about SS. Like she elevated that character and gave her a lot depth despite the lack laster writing. I will take movie Amanda over any other Amanda. Seriously, kudos to Viola. She made that character a straight up boss. 

• Love 3

Titan Books is releasing a Flash tie-in book in October.

It will be called“The Art and Making Of The Flash” Seems Craig Byrne wanted to do one of his own but got no response. Its most likely he wanted to do a companion book similar to his Smallville ones.

Now, uh, Titan… if you guys ever do season companions like my Smallville ones, you’re calling, right?

DC Comics did a really nice article on Jessie Graff in relation to their celebration of Wonder Woman's 75th Anniversary.  The Arrow got a bit of a shout out (as did Shauna Duggins and as an Alias/Jen Garner fan back in the day, I think it's cool she was one of Jessie's inspirations [she was JG's long time stunt double]).

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2016/08/30/wonder-woman-75-jessie-graff-on-heroes-ninjas-and-finally-getting-to-fly

Which DC super hero do you suspect would fare the best on America Ninja Warrior?

Superpowers are cheating, so Kryptonians and genetically enhanced humans are disqualified. Obviously the Arrow would crush the salmon ladder, so he'd be a good pick. Nightwing would be a solid choice as well, with his strength to weight ratio, trapeze experience, martial arts training and the mental adaptability one needs when fighting unpredictable criminals. I still think they'd both have to train their grip strength to make it through stage 3, though.

• Love 5

Exclusive Interview: Margot Kidder on Superman, the firing of Richard Donner and appearing in the DC TV universe
By Thomas Alexander - Aug 31, 2016
http://www.heyuguys.com/exclusive-interview-margot-kidder-on-superman/

You’ve spoke a lot about the brother-sister relationship between yourself and Christopher, so how challenging was it to create that romantic chemistry on-screen?  
Well, we didn’t. The magic of movies is such that if you blow somebody up 60ft tall, you can tell several things. You can tell if there’s an energy, sexuality there or if the three or four people have a relationship but not necessarily tell what kind.

What came across was an intimacy that Chris and I did had, because we came from similar backgrounds and he looked like one of my brothers. So the energy we had was one of brother and sister, which was often bickering, that took the place of romantic energy. No one noticed the difference one from the other – it worked. We didn’t have to create a different reality. 
Would you say that’s why people always seem to prefer Christopher’s and yours portrayal of those characters? 
No, they always go back because that film was better written and directed. They go back to them because they were so much truer to the comic books. Kids learn the morality tale of Jesus in a way; a guy away from his dad, floundering around on Earth and is this purely good person. Superman responds to women by saving them, saves the children and beats up the bad guys, if you will.

In that sense, it’s so much simpler than the later films made it out to be. I think there was a cynical decision on the part of the studios, which are now owned by multi-national conglomerates just like everything else on the planet. So they would make these artistic decisions by non-artists – guys would want to hit the millennial demographic because they literally make up about one quarter of the population.

Probably, my guess is what happened is when they decided to hit the demographic of the millennials in the later films. I think the directors were good, the actors were good but the basic approach wasn’t there.

How badly do you think the recent Superman films suffered due to their portrayal of Lois Lane?
They took one of the best American actresses’ around, Amy Adams, and didn’t give her anything to do! I mean, how stupid is that? They made her what used to be the girlfriend, which kind of ended in the 60s with women’s rights.
You were in a couple of episodes of Smallville. How open would you be to appearing in other DC TV shows?
Yeah, sure. Depending on the script or what they wanted me to do. I am 67, I am an old broad now! So I look back at this with much more amusement than I did. I don’t have a career I need to worry about protecting. My life has nothing to do with movies anymore. I live in a little town in Montana and basically do political activism. So I guess it would be fun to fly-in and do a couple of days work.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 4

The Arrow/Flash/Supergirl/Legends of Tomorrow exec producer is working with the Akils to develop Black Lightning, a drama about one of DC Comics' first major African-American superheroes. (The character debuted in 1977 and was created by Tony Isabella and Trevor Von Eeden.)

A network is not yet attached, but the drama is being pitched to networks this development season after being in the works at Warner Bros. Television — where the Akils and Berlanti are under rich overall deals.

Here's the official logline: Jefferson Pierce made his choice: he hung up the suit and his secret identity years ago, but with a daughter hell-bent on justice and a star student being recruited by a local gang, he’ll be pulled back into the fight as the wanted vigilante and DC legend — Black Lightning.

In the comics, Pierce has two daughters who both became superheroes: Anissa Pierce (aka Thunder), a member of the Outsiders; and Jennifer Pierce (aka Lightning), who is recruited by the Justice Society of America.

The Akils (Being Mary Jane) will pen the script and exec produce alongside Greg Berlanti Productions' Berlanti and Sarah Schechter.

Should Black Lightning move to series at a broadcast network, the drama would be the first to feature an African-American superhero as its lead. Netflix, of course, has Marvel drama Luke Cage due this month. 

For Berlanti, Black Lightning marks his latest DC Comics-inspired drama.  In addition to Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow, he has Archie Comics take Riverdale — also based on the DC characters — due to join his super slate at The CW. Black Lightning also marks Berlanti's latest sale this development season, where he's reteaming with Blindspot creator Martin Gero for Criminal at ABC and Raised by Wolves with Diablo Cody at ABC. The Akils, in their first year with WBTV, also have Documenting Love at ABC. 

• Love 2

Berlanti found his honeypot, so why not. 

Pedowitz says one thing and does another. He may have been forced to pick Supergirl, but no one forced him to pick The Ray. Time for him to stop acting like he is not making CW a superhero network. 

Should Black Lightning move to series at a broadcast network, the drama would be the first to feature an African-American superhero as its lead. Netflix, of course, has Marvel drama Luke Cage due this month. 

Maybe on Fox, it wouldnt last on the big 3 networks. 

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 1