Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

15 hours ago, quarks said:

<<a bunch of stuff>>

Why so serious, quarks? All these shows are TV adaptations so obviously they won't be exactly like the comics. But I also think it's reasonable to think that some things can play out similarly since the shows are based on the comics.

The best part about the Flarrowverses is that it is not the Comics. For good or for bad TPTB, the writers and the cast/crew are paving their own journeys. It's inspired by the Comics but it's not the Comics come to life. I prefer when shows have their own original or interesting take on things. If I wanted to see the Comics come to life I would go to the travelling Marvel Show.

• Love 12
12 hours ago, kismet said:

The best part about the Flarrowverses is that it is not the Comics. For good or for bad TPTB, the writers and the cast/crew are paving their own journeys. It's inspired by the Comics but it's not the Comics come to life. I prefer when shows have their own original or interesting take on things. If I wanted to see the Comics come to life I would go to the travelling Marvel Show.

Cool. That's why I like The Flash; they do their own take but also pay homage to the source material. But also, we've got the technology, and some want to see the comics come to life. (May depend on which stories, though.)

I see no problem with following some comics stories, but when it becomes an issue for me is when I start hearing the "because comics" argument for things that clearly don't work on the show. Things that may work in comics won't always translate well on TV. I also don't like it when it's used as a way to put down Arrow while propping Flash (just an observation and not aimed at anyone). I'm glad that show is doing well, GG is a great guy and it's great their show is doing well but we all know that show would not be here if not for Arrow.

As far as Barry and Iris I think they are fine, I don't really see any chemistry there but that's just me. Arrow got lucky with EBR and her chemistry with SA and it only made his lack of chemistry with others more obvious.  In this respect Flash is ok sticking with Iris and Barry long term imo because even if there chemistry is only so so they don't have another character on the show with EBR/SA level chemistry that would make this lack of Barry/Iris chemistry stand out even more.

I do think Barry has more chemistry with Caitlin, but not that much more so i'm not bothered by it.

Also I 100% believe Barry and Iris will be split up not to long after getting together, I mean I hope i'm wrong for their fans sake, but that's what I think.

• Love 12

Also I 100% believe Barry and Iris will be split up not to long after getting together, I mean I hope i'm wrong for their fans sake, but that's what I think.

TPTB will break them up almost certainly because that's what every show does, either because they think they'll lose fans if the couple is together (i.e. Moonlighting) or because they want to have conflict within the couple (i.e Arrow's baby mama drama). Within the show, they've set it up that they should be married by at least season 10 because of the West-Allen future newspaper. Of course, with the way Barry screws up time, there's no telling what'll happen between now and then. 

Edited by bettername2come
  • Love 5

There's no way WestAllen gets happily ever after no breakup for realz starting in S3. It's not how shows work, it's not how comic books work.

I have no doubt that WestAllen is endgame but, I doubt it will be smooth/happy sailings.  I also think the only think preventing WestAllen endgame is if CP chooses to leave Flash before the series ends. 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

There's no way WestAllen gets happily ever after no breakup for realz starting in S3. It's not how shows work, it's not how comic books work.

I have no doubt that WestAllen is endgame but, I doubt it will be smooth/happy sailings.  I also think the only think preventing WestAllen endgame is if CP chooses to leave Flash before the series ends. 

It's comic book television...if we don't get frog-eating clones and amnesia keeping them apart, we're doing pretty well.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

The only thing that ever separated comic book Barry/Iris was death. They never broke up. (And for those who want to throw New 52 in my face, they were not broken up. They decided to say it was a new universe in which they had never been together, which was a huge departure for a couple that had been married since 1966, and engaged since their introduction).

I just think if they want to separate them, they should have it be because of death or kidnapping or something. Not break-ups. Maybe have Iris be lost in another universe for a while and be replaced by one of her doppelgangers or something. Separation and drama can be achieved through other means.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

The only thing that ever separated comic book Barry/Iris was death. They never broke up. (And for those who want to throw New 52 in my face, they were not broken up. They decided to say it was a new universe in which they hadn't gotten together yet, which was a huge departure for a couple that had been married since 1966, and engaged since their introduction).

I'll keep that "Because Comics" comment handy for when the kill Iris off and move Barry on to his second LI/Fiancé. 

• Love 3
Just now, Morrigan2575 said:

I'll keep that "Because Comics" comment handy for when the kill Iris off and move Barry on to his second LI/Fiancé. 

I can get behind that. And then he'll ditch the other LI when he finds out Iris is really alive, just like he did in the comics.

I can support separation through means other than a break-up.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, bettername2come said:

It's comic book television...if we don't get frog-eating clones and amnesia keeping them apart, we're doing pretty well.

I also prefer this to break-ups though. Honestly, I'll take any other means of separation besides cheating or breaking up.

I used to love Lois & Clark when I was little.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3

Why are people getting so testy over anyone saying WA will break up? Are you missing the fact that we also say they'll get back together? It's TV 101. It is what it is. 

Oh, I do think they'll find a way to separate Barry and Iris -- we might disagree on how and when, though. And I don't think anyone ever said everything will be smooth sailings for them; just that they are more likely to be together than not.

3 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Barry has already had 3 love interests, who were not Iris, in 2 seasons. I don't know if they would really play around with a 4th. While they suck at the actual writing(::SIGH::), the showrunners have been leading up to Barry and Iris getting together for 2 seasons, so I think they kind of 'have to' give WestAllen an actual chance to be together this year. I'd sooner expect a new love interest for Iris; and even then, not anytime soon.

• Love 1

I'm still on an #irisdeservesbetter kick, comics be damned. How many times does Barry get to potentially end the world before he learns something? Yes, yes, I know these are the same group of writers that must repeat the same story beats over and over until I'm comatose. If a version of yourself tells you not to do something and you don't listen, thus changing my world in ways you can't predict, I'm taking a friend break, let along not dating you anytime soon.

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Any chance we meet her in 305?? Kidding aside, I'm glad that they're actually following through on delving into Caitlin's relationship with her mom.

It took me a minute to get it. LOL.

• Love 2

OMG. LMAO.

I am so sorry but that looks awful. Plus his cape looks so cheap like they just got it out the bag from the costume shop. 

Edited by Guest

I've heard more about Superman than Supergirl this hiatus. Sucks for fans of Supergirl, imo. Just like how it's annoying that most of what we've heard about Arrow is regarding the newbies.

They're really /really/ pimping out Superman for him to only appear in 2 episodes... So I'm guessing he's going to be on a lot more than people think

• Love 2

I really loved them telling Supergirl fans not to worry, it's still Supergirl's show. Then most of their marketing involves Superman. It really does show that they think a female can't lead the show. When it was really their cheesy writing. Supergirl should've been treated like any other hero, instead of as a show for girls which is what it felt like to me. 

• Love 6

I can't say I am surprised that Superman is getting a lot of attention, bring in any of the big 3 and it would happen. Especially with the network change, CW wants to make sure to get as many eye balls as possible. I doubt he will take over the show.

And that Superman poster is fanmade, it isn't for the actual show.

Edited by Primal Slayer
  • Love 2

That Stargirl outfit is so sexist, I just can't.  Is there any way we could get rid of "Because comics" most of those comics were a supremely misogynistic take on superheros.

That twitter pic above is gone now.  Can anyone describe it and why it might have disappeared?

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, statsgirl said:

That twitter pic above is gone now.  Can anyone describe it and why it might have disappeared?

Superman in profile with the inscription 'Superman is coming on Supergirl'. I don't know why it disappeared.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, Trini said:

Oh, I do think they'll find a way to separate Barry and Iris -- we might disagree on how and when, though. And I don't think anyone ever said everything will be smooth sailings for them; just that they are more likely to be together than not.

I definitely think Iris and Barry are The Flash Endgame couple. So, I do hope they keep them together for 1 whole season at least.

However, like the others have said, this is CW and they are not known for keeping a couple together for a whole season without at least breaking them up during once. I don't think being a stable and happy couple in the comics will save them from this fate. All CW lead couples suffer through at least 1 breakup during each season. Sometimes, several times during 1 season (TVD/JTV). 

• Love 2

My bad on the Superman poster; the fan who made the original (without that wording) has said on Twitter - and told Keith DeCandido - that it's her poster, she feels terrible about the wording, and she's hoping that the Supergirl cast never sees it.

3 minutes ago, Primal Slayer said:

30mins for 4 shows seems really short.

I'm thinking the break down will be Supergirl, Supergirl, Flash, Supergirl, Arrow, Legends, Flash, Supergirl. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Lily-n11 said:

Uh...how come she responds to this but not to actual rape/death threats? Someone's priorities are all wrong. Sorry not sorry.

I feel bad for the fan that made it though.