Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I don't think we need a full circle with Oliver and MM. Yes the show wussed out but Oliver did what he needed to do originally. I would rather Thea beat the shit out of Malcolm and then Sara break his neck. 

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, tarotx said:

I don't think we need a full circle with Oliver and MM. Yes the show wussed out but Oliver did what he needed to do originally. I would rather Thea beat the shit out of Malcolm and then Sara break his neck. 

Thea and Sara can get their licks in but then I want Oliver to deliver the killing blow.

Those reviews I read said it started out good then looked like it didn't know what to do for the rest of the movie. That's disappointing. I thought this one would be a good one for DC. I still want to see it and judge for myself. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Thea and Sara can get their licks in but then I want Oliver to deliver the killing blow.

Ì'd actually be all for Thea doing the deed. I think it's necessary for it to happen on Arrow, but I don't think it needs to be Oliver. If it was Thea, she would be the one with agency. Otherwise, it's once again big brother and psycho dad dueling over her.

What's the word on Waller? Spoiler tags where appropriate. I really wanted to see Arrow's Waller as a badass. Unfortunately, she always ce across as short-sighted. So my hopes for the role with Viola Davis carrying it have been significant.

• Love 1

The Suicide Squad trailer set to "Bohemian Rhapsody" that I saw in theater was absolutely fantastic -- but even as I loved it I was still convinced the movie could not possibly be as awesome as the trailer was, so no dice there. (I might subconsciously be holding the belief that Arrow's Deadshot died so Will Smith could play him in the movie against the movie itself. But only subconsciously. ;-) )

"Part smart-ass genre sendup, part grimy noir that wants to be as dirty as Deadpool but remains constrained by its PG-13 rating, and part short-falling attempt by Warner Bros. to get a big-budget DC Comics mashup right, the film starts with promise but disengages as it loses its creative bearings," writes The Hollywood Reporter chief film critic Todd McCarthy in his review.

McCarthy calls the film a "puzzlingly confused undertaking that never becomes as cool as it thinks it is," and though he praises Will Smith (Deadshot), Margot Robbie (Harley Quinn) and Jared Leto (The Joker), he, likens Suicide Squad to a dream team of athletes whose whole does not measure up to the individual talents of the players.

"Problematically, the snappy, quasi-pop-art feel effectively emphasized in the film’s first trailers is felt only in the early stretch; if Ayer had been able to sharpen and sustain something resembling a darkly subversive cartoon style — which is what’s suggested in the interludes centering on Harley Quinn — he might have been on to something," writes McCarthy. "But he’s a grim realist at heart, and it’s a sensibility that doesn’t jibe with this sort of material, which, at this stage of the superhero cycle, benefits from being approached with irreverence (as evidenced by the more entertaining Guardians of the Galaxy and Deadpool)."

Chicago Sun-Times' Richard Roeper writes of the much-hyped Joker,  "After months of online hype that threatened to bring the internet to its knees, Jared Leto's Joker (while somewhat creepy and menacing) doesn’t come close to scraping the surface of the memorably spine-chilling work done by Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight."

USA Today's Brian Truitt has a more positive take, writing, "Like The Dirty Dozen for the Hot Topic generation, the team gets in-your-face introductions and things just grow more mental from there. But compared to its ilk, Suicide Squad is an excellently quirky, proudly raised middle finger to the staid superhero-movie establishment."

Time's Stephanie Zacharek writes, "Suicide Squad moves fast, so fast that the characters barely have time to hate one another, let alone bond. But instead of making the picture more exciting, the cluttery blur of the editing flattens it out—it’s like watching helicopter blades whir for two hours."

The Daily Beast's Jen Yamato writes, "Clearly it’s not the less-than-memorable villains or the Dirty Dozen-esque origin story that gets Ayer’s juices flowing, but pet characters like Harley Quinn, the film’s true raison d'être. In a movie that feels disproportionately anemic and disjointed at times, Harley Quinn is the beating, bananas heart of the film. Beneath an assortment of face tattoos, caked-on clown makeup, and very sparse costuming, she’s always off-kilter and delightfully herself—a spunky supervillain who lacks impulse control and morals but keeps the makeshift squad together when self-interest and friction threaten to tear them apart."

BuzzFeed's Alison Willmore questions if Ayer was the right person to direct a film with so many female characters, given his history with gritty, male-centered dramas: "The first half of Suicide Squad has very noticeably been set almost wall-to-wall with music, from “Sympathy for the Devil” to “Seven Nation Army” to “Spirit in the Sky,” in an overt attempt to infuse the footage with borrowed levity from familiar tunes. But Ayer eventually has to reach for clumsily sketched-out angst (like Deadshot staring morosely at the child mannequin in a department store window) in an attempt to humanize his very crowded field of characters — and that angst depends on using women as accessories to depict male pain."

'Suicide Squad': What the Critics Are Saying

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/suicide-squad-reviews-critics-rate-916540

• Love 2

That Suicide Squad trailer was AMAZING! To expect a movie as good as a trailer is never a good idea for certain genres of movies - especially not these days. I think I'll just wait and see, how non-critics and diehards feel about the movie.

I have not read all the reviews - but I will say that it is unfair to compare any future Jokers to Heath Ledger's performance which was phenomenal tour de force. There will never be another Joker that good - he completely transformed and owned the character. And in Jared Leto's defense I think the movie was going for a different tone than Heath's movie.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, kismet said:

That Suicide Squad trailer was AMAZING! To expect a movie as good as a trailer is never a good idea for certain genres of movies - especially not these days. I think I'll just wait and see, how non-critics and diehards feel about the movie.

I have not read all the reviews - but I will say that it is unfair to compare any future Jokers to Heath Ledger's performance which was phenomenal tour de force. There will never be another Joker that good - he completely transformed and owned the character. And in Jared Leto's defense I think the movie was going for a different tone than Heath's movie.

Honestly I find any critic of future Jokers or any recasting of characters (such as Batman, Superman and other heroes annoying, people were critiquing Ledger when he was casted, and Leto is considered an A list actor not just by name but by acting chops too.

I mean everyone was against Affleck casting as Batman and he ended up being by far the better part of that shit show, and if the JL trailer is any indication that trend continues.

I'll be the first to admit that I was unfairly harsh to Anne Hathaway when I found out she was going to be Selina,  and she was by far the best part of the movie for me.  I again judged batfleck and he was apparently the best part.   Honestly,  I think DC has lucked out with their actors being able to carry their crap storylines.  I don't judge the casting anymore.   I judge the writers and producers. 

• Love 8

I'm not judging castings either, I think Jared Leto will do just fine. He does have the acting chops to pull it off.

I'm just saying you can't compare Leto & Ledger that is unfair to Leto. Ledger's role has become iconic both because of his performance and his subsequent early death that has been linked to it. It's up there in a pantheon of iconic performances. Leto deserves a clean slate for people to evaluate his performance.

• Love 3

I just saw a review from someone that loves DC and loved Batman v Superman and she hated Suicide Squad. She also said she done defending Zack Synder, he deserves the hate he getting. 

I'm thinking Suicide Squad will have a big opening weekend but if this negative word of mouth gets around it will fall just as fast as Batman v Superman. This makes me worried about Wonder Woman because it looks good in the trailers. Suicide Squad had awesome trailers and the movie apparently sucks.

Is it wrong that I'm more than a little entertained reading the OTT response to the negative reviews of SS?  I mean, this sort of thing:  https://www.change.org/p/rottentomatoes-com-shutdown-rotten-tomatoes isn't exactly constructive.  While I've never really had the urge to see the Suicide Squad movie, if I were a die-hard fan, I certainly wouldn't let critics' opinions sway me.  In fact, when Wonder Woman comes out I fully intend to pay to see it, potential negative reviews be damned.

• Love 7

I just find it extremely hilarious. #MasculinitySoFragile strikes again. These are the exact same folk who game IMDb ratings of any movie that ~dares to be enticing for women. Who made their mission in life to make the Ghostbusters trailer the most thumbs down-ed YT video of all time. And now they're oh so incredibly ~victimized by an aggregator that *doesn't* game their numbers.

They also seem to believe that the DCU is their one and only chance to "save" Hollywood from a "broken system" of catering to people who are not male nor white? I don't really understand that part, tbh.

• Love 15
32 minutes ago, NumberCruncher said:

Is it wrong that I'm more than a little entertained reading the OTT response to the negative reviews of SS?

I said this before (when BvS came out), and I'll say it again, if it's wrong to laugh at the OTT outrage, I don't want to be right.

It's quite amazing that Marvel apparently has so much money that they could buy out all the critics to pan both BvS and SS.  /sarcasm

If SS bombs, can Arrow get Deadshot and Amanda Waller back?

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 6

Another entertaining Chris Hemsworth workout video clip (he really should direct his movie career toward playing action heroes with a comedic side, like Chris Pratt and Brendan Fraser)...

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, lemotomato said:

I said this before (when BvS came out), and I'll say it again, if it's wrong to laugh at the OTT outrage, I don't want to be right.

It's quite amazing that Marvel apparently has so much money that they could buy out all the critics to pan both BvS and SS.  /sarcasm

If SS bombs, can Arrow get Deadshot and Amanda Waller back?

Disney is the evil company that is apparently paying off all the critics to pan DC CBMs. I mean how can poor whittle WB compete against a conglomerate of evil?!

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Guys can someone please tell me why they got rid of Lance and Bobbi on Shield? I'm thankful they didn't kill them but they were so fun and awesone I'm baffled as to why they got rid of them! 

Lance Hunter and Bobbi Morse left Marvel's Agents of SHIELD to star in a spinoff show called Marvel's Most Wanted.  However, that spinoff was cancelled.  So I wouldn't be surprised if Lance and Bobbi returned to SHIELD at some point.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, tv echo said:

Lance Hunter and Bobbi Morse left Marvel's Agents of SHIELD to star in a spinoff show called Marvel's Most Wanted.  However, that spinoff was cancelled.  So I wouldn't be surprised if Lance and Bobbi returned to SHIELD at some point.

OMG You are the best and all knowing!!!!! Thank you!!!!! 

Now to break the news to poor hubby! He would have loved a spin off!!!

Is DC Getting a Raw Deal? Fans Aren't Accepting Bad Suicide Squad Reviews Without a Fight
by NATALIE FINN | Wed, Aug 3, 2016 4:39 PM
http://www.eonline.com/news/784976/is-dc-getting-a-raw-deal-fans-aren-t-accepting-bad-suicide-squad-reviews-without-a-fight

Where is the DCEU going wrong while the Marvel Universe is getting it right, time after time after time? Is the DCEU getting it wrong, or are the non-Marvel movies getting a raw deal because they're being judged against a quickly established mode of superhero-movie-making?
For some reason, repeatedly threatened apocalypse is just translating better from Marvel's end, even though it's what both Universes are ultimately putting out there. Moreover, the guest who's late to the party usually does have to work harder to impress the room, and Marvel got a five-year running start on DC in our universe. And what better way to win us over than by starting with RDJ as Iron Man? Surely Tony Stark would agree! No Avenger banters better.

And though the darkness of Man of Steel, Batman v Superman and now the gritty Suicide Squad may be more reflective of a certain prevailing mood, perhaps it isn't necessarily what the people want to see on screen right now. The characters are already beloved, so while the DC movies don't need to copy the Marvel formula, it isn't too late to inject some pep into the Justice League's step, make it a little more user-friendly for the non-diehard fans.

Edited by tv echo
2 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

And they say Arrow is soap opera. Beware Flash spoilers

Reveal hidden contents

I saw that and because I couldn't read the caption at first I thought

Spoiler

OMG, they killed Iris! It freakin' looks like something you send to a funeral!

1 hour ago, tv echo said:

Might have to wait a little bit on a Lance and Bobbi reunion. Adrianne Palicki was cast in a Seth McFarlane show recently.

2 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Not totally sure about the rules, but I think canon soap operas are a-ok?

Also,

Spoiler

Did he seriously get Iris a funeral spray without a single iris in it? The pic is blurry so I can't tell for sure.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Hide contents

This is some high school stuff... Iris deserves a man. Not a boy lmao

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 10

FYI...

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. @ Comic-Con: Ghost Rider Casting News, Bobbi/ Lance Buzz and More Season 4 Scoop
By Vlada Gelman / July 22 2016, 4:04 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2016/07/22/agents-of-shield-season-4-preview-comic-con-2016-ghost-rider-cast/

If you were wondering if the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will welcome Bobbi Morse and Lance Hunter back into the fold, now that ABC’s Adrianne Palicki/Nick Blood-fronted spinoff isn’t moving forward, show boss Jed Whedon has six words for you.
“It’s definitely classified,” the EP hedged on Friday at the series’ San Diego Comic-Con panel. “But keep watching.”

S.H.I.E.L.D.'s Adrianne Palicki Boards Seth MacFarlane's Space Voyage Series
By Matt Webb Mitovich / July 29 2016, 9:55 AM PDT
http://tvline.com/2016/07/29/adrianne-palicki-cast-seth-macfarlane-fox-series/

Bobbi and Lance rejoining the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is now looking a bit less likely.
Having been written off ABC’s Marvel series in late March (to front a spinoff that was not meant to be), Adrianne Palicki has joined the cast of a comedic Fox drama created by and starring Seth MacFarlane, our sister site Deadline reports.

Ordered straight-to-series for a 13-episode maiden voyage, the ‘toon titan’s first live-action TV project follows the crew of the Orville, a “not-so-top-of-the-line exploratory ship in Earth’s interstellar fleet.” MacFarlane plays Ed, the ship captain, while Palicki has been cast as his ex-wife/First Officer, Kelly.

• Love 1

Remember Krypton?...

Syfy's Krypton: Meet Superman's Grandpa and Other Key Characters
By Team TVLine / June 21 2016, 1:08 PM PDT
http://tvline.com/2016/06/21/krypton-cast-syfy-series-seg-el-season-1/

Krypton’s lead characters include:

SEG-EL | Envisioned here as athletic, quietly confident and in his 20s, comic fans are familiar with an older (and a bit grumpier) Seg from his appearance in the classic Starman No. 51, written by James Robinson with story by Robinson and David S. Goyer, who is executive producer/writer of Krypton. But Seg’s a good guy at any age; in the comics, he and son Jor-El (Kal-El/Superman’s father) helped Starman get away while other Kryptonians wanted to detain – and dissect – the Earthling.

LYTA ZOD | This twentysomething beauty will likely have some familial tie to Superman’s future foe, General Zod, while she herself is a (reluctant) warrior.

VAL-EL | Seg’s genius grandpa defied death by going into the Phantom Zone, and is a staunch believer in space exploration. (We know that’s a lesson he’ll pass along to his great-grandson.)

Other characters include:

ALURA ZOD | Lyta’s mom happens to bear the same name as Kara Zor-El’s mother on Supergirl, while “Zod” always raises an eyebrow because of that whole “kneel before” thing.

DEV-EM | If anyone is going to survive Krypton’s inevitable fate, it’ll be this chiseled, twentysomething bad boy. In the comics, Dev escapes the doomed planet, abuses Superboy on Earth and eventually becomes an ally of the Legion of Super-Heroes… in the 30th century.

TER-EL | AKA Seg’s father. We didn’t get him to play Supergirl’s Man of Steel, but maybe Tom Welling (Smallville) could play Clark’s great-grandfather on Krypton?

Production on the pilot is slated to begin in Montreal later this summer....

Edited by tv echo
4 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Reveal hidden contents

Uh...they look like

Spoiler

funeral flowers.

Dude has no game.

1 minute ago, Sakura12 said:

Did you expect something else? 

Hide contents

No one ever says no to Barry. 

Sad thing is, if Oliver did what Barry did, he'd be paying for his mistake for more than 3 episodes...

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, looptab said:

Finding guys with mommy issues Hot must be an effect of Flashpoint. 

The show will probably end up being all "Poor Barry" when he has to let his mom go again for the greater good... What an amazing sacrifice *rolls eyes*

• Love 5
Just now, wonderwall said:

The show will probably end up being all "Poor Barry" when he has to let his mom go again for the greater good... What an amazing sacrifice *rolls eyes*

Part of my problem is that I was ok with it in 123 of Flash (since it was the only part of the episode that I actually liked), and this looks like it might be trying to copy that part times 10, which will kind of eliminate the actual seriousness and likability of the scene in 123 in the first place (even though the 223 ending already did that in the first place).

• Love 1

I'm sorry but I just remembered ths scene and I want you to laugh with me:

I don't use my personal tragedies as an excuse to torture whoever pisses me off - I'd rather screw the whole universe up!

• Love 13
1 minute ago, lemotomato said:

I hate Barry so much. Sanctimonious, hypocritical POS.

I don't know that I hate him, hate him - that varies according to the day, the mood, and what kind of FP stuff comes up - but he sure as hell is the greatest hypocrite of them all. 

• Love 11

Iris/CP looks so beautiful in that picture. <3

Barry is such a special little snowflake though. *Rolls eyes*

13 minutes ago, looptab said:

I don't know that I hate him, hate him - that varies according to the day, the mood, and what kind of FP stuff comes up - but he sure as hell is the greatest hypocrite of them all. 

I'm angry that we have to talk about him in the Arrow only sections of the forum because of FP. Not only does everyone on his own show think the sun shines out of his ass, but because the network does as well, they're going to force the effects of his stupid, selfish actions spill over to my show. 

• Love 14
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I'm angry that we have to talk about him in the Arrow only sections of the forum because of FP. Not only does everyone on his own show think the sun shines out of his ass, but because the network does as well, they're going to force the effects of his stupid, selfish actions spill over to my show. 

I don't see how you "have to" talk about anything you don't want to talk about. (Have there been any Arrow spoilers that specifically mention Barry?) Plus, the Flash forum is there if you would rather not discuss him in the Arrow section.

Spoiler

Barry got Iris flowers?! UGH he is clearly THE WORST.

Edited by Trini