Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Interesting read. I think network v. cable/streaming is more problematic for a lot of Emmy voting. As is the argument of 30min v. 60min programming (not mentioned in the article, but mentioned in other Emmy discussions). Network is limited by how far they can push story lines & characters. Therefore even if the actors/writers are amazing in what they deliver - there is only so far they can take the story. There are no boundaries on cable/streaming programming, so they can tell a far more extreme story which might appeal to voters who are looking to expand & push boundaries.

The comic book genre I think is only a piece of the problem, because those stories are supposed to entertain us and sometimes stories that entertain are not considered as boundary pushing or award deserving. That being said, a lot of comic book stories I think do have relevant & amazing performances that deserve recognition beyond just stunts & technical merit.

I think there is a snobbish attitude toward as you said stories that entertain...unless it's label a comedy, then it's ok, or is satire like Boston Legal was, but otherwise somehow shows that are loved still don't measure up at awards time.  I also think that while yes cable and streaming can push the envelope, I think even when they aren't doing anything so very much more special than some of the network stuff, the network stuff gets either ignored or overlooked because it's not cool to be a network show.   It's even worse to be on the even lesser CW network.  No respect even if deserved. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Looks like Jon Bernthal is going to be The Punisher in the second season of Daredevil.  Considering the rocky history that character has had in films, I'm curious to see if they will fare any better.  If nothing else, Jon Bernthal did crazy violent very well on The Walking Dead.

Yeah, we'll have to see about the quality of the writing, but other than that I would say this was a great casting choice. Jon Bernthal was fantastic on The Walking Dead.

The CW is currently in the process of developing a Hawkgirl series:

Hawkgirl - TV Series in Development at The CW

SpoilerTV has learned that The CW is planning a separate Hawkgirl TV series starring Ciara Renée. The project is currently in very early stages of development. If The CW decides to move forward with it, it will most likely bypass the pilot stage and get a straight to series order.

It is unclear if the series will be set before or after the events of The CW's upcoming TV series Legends of Tomorrow, which also stars Ciara Renée.

Source

Edited by strikera0

Hawkgirl! YAY!

I have to ask the same question that I did about Legends, though: how is the CGI going to look? Flash has been pretty decent for its budget, but I wasn't overly impressed with some of the Atom work on Arrow.

• Love 1

Didnt know where else to put this but CW is considering a Hawkgirl spinoff according to Spoiler TV.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/06/hawkgirl-tv-series-in-development-at-cw.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Oh CW *shakes head in sadness*... I'm sorry but I have to say it: Pedowitz... in his desire to erase every sambel (and I am so butchering the idiom someone correct me please! I can't remember the correct way to say it) of "we used to be the girls network" is actually ruining the CW in his comic boy fan-hood. This is turning into what happened a few years ago with all those CSI and L&O shows. if the CW won't be careful they're gonna be known in a few years as DC-CW instead of the chick network.

I mean it's not like I was really a viewer of the network much in recent years (because they had stupid shows) but honestly.. this is getting ridiculous.

I don't think being the DC network is a bad thing. There is a mass catalog. My problem is that these are the same people making them all and being able to deal with a massive universe isn't something I belive is sustainable. And with similar themes will the stories become deja vu to the point of weakening all the shows?

• Love 5

I don't think being the DC network is a bad thing. There is a mass catalog. My problem is that these are the same people making them all and being able to deal with a massive universe isn't something I belive is sustainable. And with similar themes will the stories become deja vu to the point of weakening all the shows?

THIS. I'm all for CW developing the entire DC catalogue into live action, but I want OTHER PRODUCERS to have a hand at these characters, because the Berlanti folk have already showed me what they're capable of, and it ain't much.

(edited)

Personally, I would prefer they dump LOT and create a show lead by Canary, Hawkgirl and Rip Hunter. A resurrected Sara Lance, a winged woman who lived centuries thru reincarnation and a time traveler. I would look more forward to that then LOT, Flash and possibly Arrow at this point. 

But now with LOT going into production, I just don't know how it would work.

Edited by 10Eleven12
  • Love 2

Personally, I would prefer they dump LOT and create a show focused on a show lead by Canary, Hawkgirl and Rip Hunter. A resurrected Sara Lance, a winged woman who lived centuries thru reincarnation and a time traveler. I would look more forward to that then LOT, Flash and possibly Arrow at this point. 

But now with LOT going into production, I just don't know how it would work.

It could work if LoT is simply a one-shot, 13 episode run - like a mini-series. It would be the perfect way to gauge the level of interest in the "new" characters then they could develop a more focused show from there.  I'm not a comics fan, so these characters aren't known to me, but I'll be tuning into LoT to see Sara/Canary and to check out the new characters. Not interested in seeing Ray again, but if he's the price I have to pay to see CL's badass Canary again, I'm willing. If they could streamline some of the characters into a different show after LoT, I'd be interested...but, as others posted upthread, they really need some new blood in the pool of EP's and showrunners for this ever growing comic-based universe on CW/CBS or ALL of the shows suffer.

• Love 2

They should have just followed the whole anthology series craze and did a different character every season, starting with Sara, focusing on her resurrection and setting up the Birds of Prey and bringing in characters from Arrow for guest appearances like Laurel, Quentin, Sin and Nyssa. A few flashbacks to her League of Assassins training with a focus on her relationship with Nyssa and you'd have a pretty good thirteen episodes if handled well, IMO. Then have Sara on Arrow/The Flash from time to time. As it stands now she's the only reason I'll even be checking out LoT. Well,  off course I love Victor Garber, too.

(edited)

LOT has already been confirmed as not a one Shot.

Going by the trailer it does seem to be more ATOM, Sara and VG and it centering on Rip's plan so him. Plus probably Captain cold. Both Hawkgirl and ATOM is surely going to be super expensive for one show. And HG's backstory and past lives knowledge might not be able to be fully fleshed with a large Cast. She has a lot of potential as a POC female lead.

Edited by tarotx
(edited)

So I ended up watching Superman Returns tonight, probably for the first time since I'd seen it in the theater.  After watching Brandon all season, I got kind of curious to see him play Superman again.  It's funny, past the first time he popped up on screen, I didn't see Brandon Routh, just the character, though it took a bit to adjust to him as Superman.  (But he doesn't look or act like Ray at all)  He was sooo young in SR.  I know he was the same age Reeve was for his movies but he just looked younger.  Oddly, skinnier. 

Now about the movie.  I was surprised that the movie gets a 3 out of 4 stars.  I am so used to hearing it just shredded but while I still maintain the story and premise sucked arse, not so much the broad strokes, production or acting for the most part.  The idea of Superman going away and returning isn't a bad premise, but they just flopped in several key ways.  You can't spend the first half of the movie with a depressed lead and a resentful "leading lady" and produce a pleasant experience for the audience.  Hello Arrow.  I liked Lex much better this time.  I swear I remembered him being so much more comical but I guess that was just in comparison to Michael Rosenbaum.  I did once more roll my eyes at his lady love side kick.  They didn't try AT ALL to make her different than Miss Tessmacher in the 1978 version. 

I will never love the idea of a oops baby or that Lois apparently rebounded so fast that she didn't even know it wasn't James Marsden's kid, but there is something so very uncomfortable in watching Lois be in love with Superman while she's a part of a committed and loving relationship.  I wanted Superman to move on so, so bad.  Just back away dude.  Do. Not. Go. There.  The whole set up for the movie was primed for Clark to meet a cute, smart blond that actually cared if he was there or not. 

Which brings me to another realization why I found the movie soo dissatisfying when compared to Man of Steele.  I hated how little Clark there was in the movie.  I mean Clark Kent.  I know that this was supposed to be a continuation of the old Superman movies when Clark was the mask and Superman the real person but it was exceedingly unsatisfying.  Superman just can't interact like a normal person.  There is plenty to complain about in MoS but at least we got the real guy the whole time and though I was left wanting more with him too, I felt like we got to see his loneliness and his almost childlike hope in the goodness of others.  In SR, what I felt most of all was really bad on Clark's behalf that no one but his mother and Jimmy Olsen gave a damn if he was there or not. 

But the biggest what the hell was the parts of the story that had Lois twice take her kid into dangerous situations and all I could think was that whoever wrote SR didn't know anything about mothers, at least loving mothers.  While Lois might have taken her kid to go knock on a door, there is no way in hell she would have taken him on board the yacht and after he had just almost DIED, there is NO way she would take him back to go look for Superman.  At best she would take him somewhere safe and then return to look for Superman but risk his life AGAIN?  NOPE.  And the movie just falls apart right there and that is even before the part where despite being surrounded by kryptonite and a piece still jabbed into his side, he lifted an island the size of New York.  

And then he whispers weird crap over his kid's sleeping head and then leaves, once more fated to walk alone.   

It is the most depressing movie about a man that is supposed to inspire hope.  Compared to SR, MoS was a bright sunny smile fest. 

Edited by BkWurm1

He was sooo young in SR.  I know he was the same age Reeve was for his movies but he just looked younger.  Oddly, skinnier.

True fact: Brandon is 2 1/2 years younger than Tom Welling, and we all know what Welling was doing when Routh was playing Superman.

True fact: Brandon is 2 1/2 years younger than Tom Welling, and we all know what Welling was doing when Routh was playing Superman.

That sincerely messes with my head.  I also found Kate Bosworth looking very young.  Turns out at the time of the movie she was 23. (So a 19 year old mother?)  Just for kicks I compared her to Alison Mack who apparently is a year older.  Less surprising to me was that Erica Durance was five years older. 

No wonder they all looked like babies if my first year of college people over on Smallvile were all older than the players on Superman Returns.  What an optics nightmare.

I'm not a huge fan of the thirty year old high school senior but going the other way and having the seasoned veteran reporter be 23 (at least once you yourself are past 23) is insulting. 

• Love 2

Routh gets a lot of (unfair, IMHO) flack about SR, but I think Bosworth was the real miscasting. I didn't know she was so young, though!

And heh -- I still haven't gotten over Welling playing a character literally half his age.  :-)

• Love 2

Routh gets a lot of (unfair, IMHO) flack about SR, but I think Bosworth was the real miscasting. I didn't know she was so young, though!

Particularly considering that Margot Kidder was around 30 when Superman: The Movie came out.

• Love 1
(edited)

Who is Tom Holland? Meet your new Spider-Man
Kelly Lawler, USA TODAY 3:03 p.m. EDT June 23, 2015
http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2015/06/23/who-is-tom-holland-spider-man-marvel-sony/29163547/?hootPostID=4423e4c1c938309984778e9a22e83811

Does Tom Holland's Spider-Man Have More Than A Cameo For 'Civil War'?

By Robert Dougherty Jun 24, 2015 10:17 AM

http://www.themovienetwork.com/article/does-tom-hollands-spider-man-have-more-cameo-civil-war

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Marvel Is Going Even More Cosmic In Phase Three As Hinted By New Audition Info
Posted 24 minutes ago by Jason Motes

http://sciencefiction.com/2015/06/25/marvel-going-even-cosmic-phase-three-hinted-new-audition-info/

Auditions are now getting underway for the Marvel Studios feature film ‘Avengers: Infinity War – Part I’ lead and supporting roles. The auditions for new lead and supporting roles will be taking place in Los Angeles, CA. The film is the first in a two-part sequel in which Thanos plays a major role, along with the Magus. Adam Warlock’s bad side, the Magus, separates from his body and assembles the Infinity Gauntlet. Magus creates doppelgangers of Earth’s heroes as part of his plan to recreate a universe of evil. “Avengers: Infinity War – Part I” will be shot entirely on the IMAX/ARRI 2D digital camera.
Edited by tv echo

Check out this tie-in website for "The National City Tribune": http://nationalcitytribune.com

It mentions events from the Flash and Arrow season finales, and other DC universe places and people.

Cross-posting this here from the Supergirl forum, because this "proves" the three shows are in the same universe! Screengrab this for history, people. ;-)

Cross-posting this here from the Supergirl forum, because this "proves" the three shows are in the same universe! Screengrab this for history, people. ;-)

That's actually a fan site put together by the folks at www.supergirl.tv , I'm afraid.

• Love 1

Putting this here since this covers several shows in the DC TV universe:

TVGuide Comic Con Special issues:

• An exclusive DC Entertainment Supergirl comic, “Sister Act,” written by Supergirl executive producers Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg and Ali Adler
  • A sneak peek inside the upcoming DC Universe Original Animated Movie Justice League: Gods and Monsters from Warner Bros. Home Entertainment, Warner Bros. Animation and DC Entertainment
  • A look at the DC All Access web series, in addition to a DC Comics preview of Victor Stone’s (aka Cyborg) high-tech upgrade
  • Behind-the-scenes photos from the TV Guide Magazine yacht and photo booth at Comic-Con 2014
  • All the scoop on the stories behind Bruce Wayne’s underground discovery and a super villain lineup on Gotham; a two-on-two interview with The Big Bang Theory’s Johnny Galecki and Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting; set deconstructions on The Flash’s S.T.A.R. Labs and The Originals’ New Orleans vampire-hood; and more
  • Burning questions answered about fans’ favorite shows, including The 100, Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, iZOMBIE, The Originals, Person of Interest, Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries
  • And so much more…!

Pics at the link!

(edited)

Megalyn Echikunwoke To Voice Vixen In CW Seed Animated Series
Posted by: Craig Byrne, Editor-In-Chief  Jul 2, 2015
http://www.ksitetv.com/vixen/megalyn-echikunwoke-to-voice-vixen-in-cw-seed-animated-series/70064

MEGALYN ECHIKUNWOKE CAST AS VIXEN IN ANIMATED SERIES EVERYONE FORGOT ABOUT
Written by John Lewis on Thursday, July 02 2015

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/132288-megalyn-echikunwoke-cast-as-vixen-in-animated-series-everyone-forgot-about.html

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
(edited)

MG is apparently working in both superhero comic universes...

What to Expect from the new MARVEL Universe
By Kitin Miranda - July, 2nd 2015
http://www.movienewsguide.com/what-to-expect-from-the-new-marvel-universe/72141

S.H.I.E.L.D. will also be back with a book of its own written by Marc Guggenheim and art by Mike Norton. The “Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D.” will feature Dum Dum Duggan, Werwolf by Night and other creatures from writer Frank Barbiere and artist Brent Schnoover.

Looking Into The New, Different & The Same From ALL-NEW ALL-DIFFERENT MARVEL
by Chris Arrant, EditorDate: 30 June 2015 Time: 10:40 AM ET

http://www.newsarama.com/24988-looking-into-the-new-different-the-same-from-all-new-all-different-marvel.html

And S.H.I.E.L.D. continues to grow, with S.H.I.E.L.D. transitioning to become Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with Arrow showrunner Marc Guggenheim. Joining it is the previously teased Howling Commandos of S.H.I.E.L.D. featuring Dum Dum Dugan and a cadre of monsters by Frank Barbiere and Brent Schoonover.
Edited by tv echo

I know the comic purists threw a fit about her costume not being classic Wonder Woman but I really wish they'd allow the poor character to wear pants and an actual top.  She'd be even more kick ass if she didn't have to focus on keeping her boobs* from falling out.

*I'll spare you guys my rant about comics and boob jobs.

• Love 6
(edited)

The official site for DC Super Hero Girls, the new joint project with Mattel aimed at girls ages 6-12, is now online!  HitFix has a brief preview here.

Yeah... I have such mixed feelings about this. I guess it's good that they are trying to reach out to/include girls (good on you, corporate conglomerate!), but on the other hand, this effort looks just like every other marketing campaign aimed at girls to sell toys.

I rather they change at the source, by making the comics more girl-friendly (or at least less girl-repellant) -- and they are with a few titles. I don't think they necessarily have to invent a new world to do what they want to do. I mean, setting them all in high school, really? Feels like a rip-off Monster High and Equestria Girls (which are probably rip-offs of other stuff).

Also, I'm pretty sure DC's got loads of merchandise aimed at 6-12 boys that they didn't water down.

Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
(edited)

Did you see the AoS Season 3 poster?  Doesn't Bobbi/Mockingbird look like a cross between Sara/Canary (weapons, hair) and Laurel/BC (costume, fingerless gloves, hair)?  Or maybe it's just a generic female superhero look?

agents_of_shield.jpg?itok=vmgwgJgK

(source)

Edited by tv echo

Yeah... I have such mixed feelings about this. I guess it's good that they are trying to reach out to/include girls (good on you, corporate conglomerate!), but on the other hand, this effort looks just like every other marketing campaign aimed at selling girls to sell toys.

I rather they change at the source, by making the comics more girl-friendly (or at least less girl-repellant) -- and they are with a few titles. I don't think they necessarily have to invent a new world to do what want to do. I mean, setting them all in high school, really? Feels like a rip-off Monster High and Equestria Girls (which are probably rip-offs of other stuff).

Also, I'm pretty sure DC's got loads of merchandise aimed at 6-12 boys that they didn't water down.

I was pleased to read they were trying to make things for girls but I don't like how they cutesy'd them up.  Maybe if they'd also just start making more regular merchandise of Wonder Woman and Co, I wouldn't mind so much.  They don't age down or clean up the heroes when targeting the 6-12 boys and I sincerely doubt they will ever send the Joker to high school with Bruce Wayne.  It bothers me that they'd make Harley or Poison Ivy one of the "heroes". 

I think there are some good intentions behind this but to me it's a big miss.  Maybe they will come up with some kind of cross promotion thing like a show and sell the new idea but right now I'm just suffering from second hand embarrassment.  This isn't introducing young girls to female superheroes, this is introducing them to brand new characters that just happen to share names and maybe wardrobe color schemes  with  the actual female superheroes.     

• Love 1
(edited)

I've never been a big Ben Affleck fan (apologies to those of you who are ;) ).  When he and Matt Damon won their Oscars way back when for Good Will Hunting, I was really happy for them - but even then, I liked Damon better.  Affleck just seemed to be an ego-in-waiting.  Well, the latest (non-personal) news stories I've read about Affleck haven't changed my mind...

1.  Affleck recently talked about the difference between DC and Marvel movies (has he forgotten about his Marvel Daredevil movie?):

Now, in a new interview in the print edition of EW’s Comic-Con issue, Batman V. Superman star Ben Affleck has weighed in with his opinion on the difference between DC Comics and Marvel movies.

“It is more mythic, it is more grand in that way, and it is a little more realistic,” said Affleck. “Just by their nature, these films can’t be as funny or as quick or as glib as Marvel movies.”

The common theme seems to be a claim that DC Comics movies are more realistic than Marvel movies. Do you agree or disagree with Ben Affleck’s opinion?

http://comicbook.com/2015/07/03/ben-affleck-explains-how-dc-movies-are-different-than-marvel-mov/

I'm tired of the implication that DC movies are better or more important somehow because they're more serious or realistic while Marvel movies are light fluff.  Such a distinction is just untrue. Also, both DC and Marvel have had their good movies and their bad movies, and I've enjoyed both.

2.  Affleck will star in, direct and co-write the next solo Batman film.  I think Affleck is a great director and an okay actor.  As a writer, I'm still not sure who deserves greater credit for writing Good Will Hunting - him or Damon - and I did not like The Town (which he also co-wrote).  Still, it takes a rare person (with a big ego) who can write, star in and direct the same big film:
http://deadline.com/2015/07/ben-affleck-geoff-johns-batman-dc-entertainment-warner-bros-comic-con-1201472921/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Unrelated to DC but related to comics, I was listening to Entertainment Weekly Radio on the way to work this morning (they're broadcasting from SDCC this week), and Gene Simmons of KISS was talking about going to Lunacons as a teenager, about being at the first Comic-Con,  bemoaning to some extent the dilution of serious comics fans at SDCC and dropping references to Balder the Brave and Ego the Living Planet.  Now I'm wishing for a pic of Gene in his full Demon regalia meeting Jack Kirby... it would have been like the Elvis meets Nixon pic.

In regards to Affleck being allowed to star and direct the Batman movie. ..I'm just done. I already was furious at his casting. I think he's an okay director but I don't think he can handle what should be an epic movie while acting in it. Considering I think he's a horrible actor.

I'm not going to be seeing batman v superman. I'm not going to see Suicide Squad. And I'm really bitter that I can't even muster the energy to give the movie universe a chance.

Though I'm sure Gal will be a fantastic Diana. So good for her, one bit of casting done right.

• Love 1
(edited)

I actually don't like Gal's casting. She's not at all who I pictured for Wonder Woman, she's too skinny and doesn't look to have put on much muscle for the role. I'm also not a huge fan of her acting.

With Affleck, if they are making Batman an a-hole then he's perfect casting. He was perfect as Nick in Gone Girl. But that whole movie is a WTF? with the casting. Jessie Eisenberg as Lex, okay. To me it looks like DC was trying to go with shock factor actors rather than actors that look the part like Marvel tends to do. 

Marvel tackles dark storylines but they also add some humor to lighten the mood. They strike a good balance so the movie can be fun to watch. Who wants to watch a super hero movie that's all doom and gloom all the time? I go to a super hero movie to be entertained not get depressed. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3