Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

The official site for DC Super Hero Girls, the new joint project with Mattel aimed at girls ages 6-12, is now online!  HitFix has a brief preview here.

impression from the characters:

Wonder women looks.. too young and wimpsy.

supergirl eyes are weird

batgirl looks like catgirl

I actually like Harley.. her outfit is a nice throwback to her original one mixed with the new one.. wish we had that for the movie!!

I have no idea who Bumblebee is

Why did they ruin my lovely poison Ivy?!! and why is her hair more ginger than red?

Katana looks like a Mulan rip-off- which may not be a bad thing.

And of course they all have the same body look..

meh.. I agree I don't like it so much. I mean at least their breast size looks normal..

• Love 1
(edited)

Barely any Emmy nominations for comic book shows; mostly in the technical categories:

iZombie, Arrow, Agent Carter -- 0

Agents of SHIELD, Constantine, The Flash -- 1

Daredevil -- 3

Gotham, The Walking Dead -- 4

Constantine

• Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Contemporary Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)

The Flash

• Outstanding Special Visual Effects

Daredevil

• Outstanding Main Title Design
  • Outstanding Sound Editing For A Series
  • Outstanding Special Visual Effects In A Supporting Role

Gotham

• Outstanding Production Design For A Narrative Contemporary Or Fantasy Program (One Hour Or More)
  • Outstanding Costumes For A Contemporary Series, Limited Series or Movie

The Walking Dead

• Outstanding Prosthetic Makeup For A Series, Limited Series, Movie Or A Special
  • Outstanding Stunt Coordination For A Drama Series, Limited Series Or Movie
Edited by Trini
  • Love 1
(edited)

Arrow's Marc Guggenheim Didn't Hesitate To Write the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Comic
Russ Burlingame- 07/18/2015
.http://comicbook.com/2015/07/18/arrows-marc-guggenheim-didnt-hesitate-to-write-the-agents-of-s-h/

From MG's tumblr...

wiccaptainphoenix asked:
Can you please put Mockingbird in the new SHIELD comics? Together with Daisy, she's the only agent that was created in the comics instead of the MCU and she's already a Main character on the show, I think that everyone would love it :)

I think you’re gonna be happy…

http://marcguggenheim.tumblr.com/post/124446245699/can-you-please-put-mockingbird-in-the-new-shield#notes

Edited by tv echo

Since I saw Ant-Man I'm making a new list of my favorites of the Marvel Verse 

Guardians of the Galaxy

Captain America: The Winter Solider

Agent Carter

Avengers

Daredevil

Iron Man 1

Ant-Man

Agent Carter's Adventures with Capt: The First Avenger

Agents of SHIELD

Avengers: Age of Ultron

Thor

Iron Man 2

Iron Man 3 

Thor: The Dark World

The Hulk

Can anyone in the US tell me if they've seen the September issue of Empire Magazine - the one with the "Batman v Superman" cover - on sale yet? Supposedly the on-sale date was yesterday (7/31), but my local BAM, the only locally surviving place I know of with a decent magazine selection, just put the August issue on the stands yesterday, rather than September's.  I'm not sure if the US issues typically run a month behind the UK on-sale dates or not. TIA.

I think I answered my own question: I was in Boston yesterday and the Barnes & Noble there had a large supply of the August issue. So I guess it's not just the stores here that run a month behind the UK.

CW Boss Talks ‘Supergirl’ Crossover Possibility, More DC Spinoffs...

Pedowitz emphasized that exec producer Greg Berlanti would drive any decisions about a “Supergirl” crossover with any of his three CW superhero shows: “Arrow,” “Flash” and the upcoming “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow.”

“I leave that to Greg Berlanti and his team. If they can make it work, that’s great. If they cannot, that’s fine. We are open to crossovers,” Pedowitz said Tuesday from the Beverly Hills, Calif. event. “That’s Greg’s call because he understands his shows better than I do because he’s there.”

Pedowitz mentioned that “Supergirl” will have cross-promotion with the CW’s other DC Comics series, as CBS Entertainment chair Nina Tassler also said during her presentation on Monday. He also responded to questions regarding the younger-skewing network passing on the series, which seemed a natural fit with its standing slate.

“I can’t address CBS’ perspective on that, but I can address ours. We had ‘Arrow’ and ‘Flash’ and we were not planning to do another DC character,” Pedowitz said, recalling the pitch cycle. CW did discuss the possibility of developing “Supergirl” with Warner Bros. but the timing wasn’t right.

Continuing to discuss the DC universe, Pedowitz was asked about the possibility of more spinoffs, confirmed that there are none in the works at present beyond “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow,” which bows midseason.

“Last year at this time, we had no intention of doing another DC project,” he said referencing “Legends of Tomorrow” being developed in a year’s time. “What happened is as the characters were introduced in ‘Arrow’…and in ‘Flash’…we began to realize this is a great opportunity, and DC agreed…this gives up the opportunity to look at a lot of characters.”

Pedowitz also made a mention of comic-inspired “iZombie” from Rob Thomas and Diane Ruggiero-Wright, noting the network is extremely proud of its freshman run and is looking forward to Season 2. Another comic coming to life at CW is Archie’s “Riverdale,” which is currently in development with Berlanti at the helm.

Constantine will be featured in “Arrow’s” upcoming season for one episode with actor Matt Ryan reprising his role, after his standalone series was cancelled at NBC. “The series is no longer on the air and luckily, one of our parents companies Warner Bros. is the production company on ‘Arrow,'” Pedowitz explained. “It’s a great one-shot episode.

This is interesting...

Are Green Arrow and The Flash the New Batman and Superman?

Rob Bricken 8/20/15 12:30pm

http://io9.com/are-green-arrow-and-the-flash-the-new-batman-and-superm-1725425981

Well, first off, the answer is 'no'. Secondly, I think Batman and Green Arrow have much more in common than Superman and Flash. Thirdly, I don't think it's even fair to compare them like this since each of them has their own rich mythologies from decades of comic history. They do have a few similarities, but they have more and significant differences.

• Love 1

Batman’s ‘One Rule': How It’s Important For All Heroes
Nick Cannata-Bowman   August 28, 2015
http://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/batmans-one-rule-how-its-important-for-all-heroes.html/?a=viewall

It’s a philosophy that’s made its way into the TV and movie universe for both Marvel and DC, and is an important distinction to make for every hero in their beginning moments. In many ways, it reflects upon their entire philosophy as a hero, and in turn dictates the tone of the entire movie or series. It’s why Arrow on the CW shocked so many people in its opening moments, featuring a title character who wasted no time breaking necks and asking questions later. The big turning point in the show at the end of Season 1 centered around this, with Oliver Queen vowing to never kill again.
  • Love 1

I'm getting tired of people asking for a Justice League because apparently it's only a JL if the top tier heroes show up.  So we could have all of Flash, all of Arrow and all of LoT but nope, without Batman or Supes, it doesn't count.  Sigh. 

• Love 1

I'm not sure what the current JL lineup is, but the "Justice League Detroit" era, when Aquaman blew up the League because no one had responded to a call, was what introduced Vibe and Vixen, in addition to Gypsy and some other established heroes who were also included.  OTOH, many fans hated it at the time because it made the JLA "just another hero team," instead of being the Mightiest of the Mighty.  The Keith Giffen "BWAH HA HA" era lacked the Trinity (except occasionally Batman, who made it plain he wasn't much of a joiner), but it did have a Green Lantern and some other heavy hitters (image from DC Wiki).

Justice_League_1.jpg

• Love 2

I'm tired of hearing that too. Batman and Superman have enough screentime. I"m all for letting some of the other heroes have a chance to shine. It's not called Batman's League or Superman's League, it's called the JUSTICE League, so any hero can be apart of it. 

• Love 3

'DC Boss Diane Nelson Talks Superhero Strategy Vs. Marvel at Variety Summit'

DC has a big year in store at the box office in 2016 with the highly anticipated “Batman vs. Superman” coming in March followed “Suicide Squad” later in the year — the first wave of 10 DC-branded movies expected to hit over the next five years. But she emphasized that there is no push for creative crossover among the films or with DC’s plentiful TV series, including CW’s “The Flash, “ “Arrow” and the upcoming “DC’s Legends of Tomorrow”; CBS’ “Supergirl”; and Fox’s “Gotham.”

DC leaders have opted to keep its character worlds highly distinct in order to offer maximum creative flexibility to the writers, producers and directors that Warner Bros. works with in translating new and vintage DC properties in all manner of media. Creatives would otherwise be limited in tailoring projects for specific buyers. She noted the wide tonal differences between “Gotham” and “Supergirl,” not to mention “Teen Titans Go” on Cartoon Network. DC’s focus has working with Warner Bros.’ exec teams and creators at the various division levels, in recognition of the expertise they bring to developing products for their markets.

“We’re so talent driven,” Nelson said during the Q&A with Variety co-editor-in-chief Andrew Wallenstein. The focus on a single universe of characters with connected storylines “could end up handcuffing our creators into trying to work with the same storyline or force them to hold back characters or introduce certain characters. Ultimately it hinders the ability for someone like (showrunner) Bruno Heller to come in and create ‘Gotham.’ “

She noted that Fox’s Batman prequel has no creative constraints regarding “Batman vs. Superman” and vice versa. The single universe approach “has worked beautifully” for Marvel, she added, but didn’t make sense for WB.

• Love 1

(Copied from the Gotham media thread):

* Jaw-dropper *

Bill Finger to get credit on Gotham and Batman v Superman.

For those who aren't aware who he was, look here.

From the latter link:

Without Bill writing the scripts and shaping the visuals, we don’t have Robin, Bruce Wayne, the Bat-cave, the Batmobile, the Penguin, Gotham City, the Signal, Commissioner Gordon, Alfred the Butler, Wayne Manor, the Batarang, Catwoman, the basic look and color scheme of the Batman costume, the Joker, The Riddler, The Scarecrow (as well as Green Lantern, Wildcat and a host of other characters!)
  • Love 2

Bill Finger to get credit on Gotham and Batman v Superman.

If he hasn't until now? 

added: Mr. Kane seems to have been a money- and credit-grubber. Congrats to Mr. Finger's family!

Edited by Actionmage
  • Love 1
Why So Many Superhero Shows are Being Made

Many of them are irrelevant and hardly count, CW and Berlanti crew are the only ones who are really trying to bring comic, superhero properties to TV. Networks still dont really know the value of a comic/superhero franchise. TNT is sitting on Titans, NBC should have run with Wonder Woman. Someone should be fighting for Green Lantern series.

I like what they have done with VIXEN, a live action show could actually be great. 

Edited by WildcardC
  • Love 1

Many of them are irrelevant and hardly count, CW and Berlanti crew are the only ones who are really trying to bring comic, superhero properties to TV. Networks still dont really know the value of a comic/superhero franchise. TNT is sitting on Titans, NBC should have run with Wonder Woman. Someone should be fighting for Green Lantern series.

I like what they have done with VIXEN, a live action show could actually be great. 

NBC going with a Wonder Woman series would be great, but they were totally justified in pulling the plug on the David E. Kelley "Amazon McBeal" interpretation.  I saw the pilot, and while Adrienne Palicki was fine, and the costume wasn't all that bad after they changed the pants, DEK completely and totally missed the heart of the character.

Vixen is very good and shows a ton of potential for future seasons.  Personally, I also really like Gotham, but I realize that that opinion is not universally shared.

• Love 2

What's funny to me is DC is trying to be all dark and gritty in their movies while their TV shows while depressing are not all that dark and gritty compared to some other shows (do they really even show blood? on The 100 the characters are walking around covered in blood for most of the season.). And Marvel is all light and fun in their movies and their Netflix shows are dark and gritty. 

Gotham and AoS have gotten much better and I enjoy them more than the CW shows now. 

NBC going with a Wonder Woman series would be great, but they were totally justified in pulling the plug on the David E. Kelley "Amazon McBeal" interpretation.  I saw the pilot, and while Adrienne Palicki was fine, and the costume wasn't all that bad after they changed the pants, DEK completely and totally missed the heart of the character.

I still think they should have let the American audience decide. If CW had listened to pre airing negativity and disapproval, Arrow  and Flash would never been made. Supergirl too. Adhering to strict comic book likeliness is not achievable for a TV show, the mainstream audience would not have cared. And it was a raw pilot, a bit wonky, but there was plenty of time for improvement. JMO. 

Anyway water under the bridge, hopefully they are serious about Wonder Woman movies. 

Different strokes for different folk, Im glad that Gotham/AOS have its faithfuls.  If they have been cancelled in season 1,  it would have been bad for the future of comic TV shows, even thought they are not quite traditional comic shows.   If Supergirl does well maybe CW will consider Vixen live.

Edited by WildcardC

I honestly don't even know how accurate, but I remember articles/media sites discussing some major creative differences between DEK & the network. If my memory serves me right, DEK is not an easy person to work with and has butted heads with previous shows & network heads.

So that might have inspired then network to get cold feet, especially if they couldn't get another showrunner to be willing to take on the project in his absence/departure.

It might have had more to do with politics than just the show itself or its potential. Most shows are re-workable and can be over hauled - especially a show like Wonder Woman that has a rich history to pick through and is not just some figment idea in a showrunner's imagination. But some shows just become too controversial to even try repair.

Personally, I also really like Gotham, but I realize that that opinion is not universally shared.

I really enjoyed Gotham last season and same this season.  Very pleased that people seem to be giving the second season a new chance.  Even from those that quit last year all I'm hearing are glowing reports.

I still think they should have let the American audience decide. If CW had listened to pre airing negativity and disapproval, Arrow  and Flash would never been made. Supergirl too. Adhering to strict comic book likeliness is not achievable for a TV show, the mainstream audience would not have cared. And it was a raw pilot, a bit wonky, but there was plenty of time for improvement. JMO.

I think they made the right call this time.  The entire concept of the show and all the characterization would have had to have been overhauled.  It was totally backwards with Wonder Woman being totally out in the open as her real identity from which she ran her company (think Tony Stark) and Diana Prince a secret identity that she sometime adopted to get a break from her life so she could hide out and eat ice cream in a frumpy robe while watching movies with her cats.   

I would have been fine with a reversal on her character like they did to Superman (where before the real man was the guy in tights and Clark a disguise but since then Clark is the real personality -mostly- and Superman something he can do and be)  She didn't have to be Wonder Woman all the time.  I'm all for exploring the person behind the powers but the person they set her up to be was so foreign to me as any established female hero as to be cringe worthy.  It was like he wrote a new character and just hung a title on her - in which case why bother handing her the name then?  She's not a B or C list character that no one cares if she gets a total overhaul.  She's an A list hero.  She deserved to be handled like it. 

Her origin story though is not grounded in reality.  Still, if Thor can be embraced as believable, why not an Amazonian princess?  They should have full on embraced the mythological parts to her character rather than try to hide it.  Even in the few years since the failed pilot, I think the climate and acceptance for something like that has changed (or rather the waters have been navigated so studios are lest afraid to sail them) 

Too late for a TV version of Wonder Woman though.  I'm still amazed they slipped in a young Bruce Wayne.  Ha!  Maybe that is what it would take to get a Wonder Woman tv series, Diana goes to high school, or if that isn't canon compliant enough, they could skip forward and give her a daughter and have her navigate high school or college while hiding her abilities and her mother's fame.  (Sounds like an awful show to me but different enough from the movies that DC might bite)

• Love 2

I think they made the right call this time.  The entire concept of the show and all the characterization would have had to have been overhauled.  It was totally backwards with Wonder Woman being totally out in the open as her real identity from which she ran her company (think Tony Stark) and Diana Prince a secret identity that she sometime adopted to get a break from her life so she could hide out and eat ice cream in a frumpy robe while watching movies with her cats.   

I would have been fine with a reversal on her character like they did to Superman (where before the real man was the guy in tights and Clark a disguise but since then Clark is the real personality -mostly- and Superman something he can do and be)  She didn't have to be Wonder Woman all the time.  I'm all for exploring the person behind the powers but the person they set her up to be was so foreign to me as any established female hero as to be cringe worthy.  It was like he wrote a new character and just hung a title on her - in which case why bother handing her the name then?  She's not a B or C list character that no one cares if she gets a total overhaul.  She's an A list hero.  She deserved to be handled like it. 

Her origin story though is not grounded in reality.  Still, if Thor can be embraced as believable, why not an Amazonian princess?  They should have full on embraced the mythological parts to her character rather than try to hide it.  Even in the few years since the failed pilot, I think the climate and acceptance for something like that has changed (or rather the waters have been navigated so studios are lest afraid to sail them) 

Too late for a TV version of Wonder Woman though.  I'm still amazed they slipped in a young Bruce Wayne.  Ha!  Maybe that is what it would take to get a Wonder Woman tv series, Diana goes to high school, or if that isn't canon compliant enough, they could skip forward and give her a daughter and have her navigate high school or college while hiding her abilities and her mother's fame.  (Sounds like an awful show to me but different enough from the movies that DC might bite)

The CW had a show in development a couple of years ago called "Amazon," which was largely what you said: Diana growing up on Paradise Island, Smallville style (this was before Gotham).  They eventually pulled the plug before anyone was cast.

Tinkering with the details of her origin wouldn't necessarily have bothered me; hell, DC themselves retconned her entire birth narrative in New 52. But as you imply, sitting around eating ice cream and hiding from her life was just wrong.  There are many, many things one can do with Diana of Themyscira; having her feel sorry for herself is NEVER one of them.  Ever.

• Love 1

If Supergirl does well and Wonderwoman gets a good audience/advertisers response after Batman v. Superman; perhaps the networks will be willing to take another shot at some version of Wonderwoman on TV.

I feel like its just a matter of time before they try for another female based comic TV show gets another shot if the data is good. This upcoming TV/Movie season will give the networks and advertisers more data.

• Love 1

I'm thinking DC won't allow Wonder Woman on tv anymore now that they are finally reintroducing her to the big screen. Will be a long time until she has the possibility of gracing our tv screens again on a weekly basis. It is probably why Amazon gained zero traction.

Wouldn't mind if we finally got an animated tv series for her though.