Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I'm not surprised the two part episode had a definite back-door spin-off vibe to it.  

Given the lack of interest in ATOM, I really think the smart move would have been to pitch an ATOM/Firestorm spin-off...no idea what they could call it.

• Love 1

Here we go...

How The CW Used ‘Flash’ To Pitch a ‘Firestorm’ Spinoff

Published 2 days ago by Andrew Dyce

Page 1 - http://screenrant.com/flash-tv-show-firestorm-spinoff-pilot/

Page 2 - http://screenrant.com/flash-tv-show-firestorm-spinoff-pilot/2/

I would be more inclined to watch Firestorm than I would ATOM. I like how the article highlighted how effortless Grant Gustin's role was on Arrow that it changed the plans and got the spin-off without needing to bring him back in the second part. Perhaps, that is the problem with Ray, BR & Atom, nothing has seemed effortless about the character or the role has been brought to the screen. It had potential, but it has been so heavy handled.

• Love 1

I also thought the Jack Black scripted rant against superhero movies at the Oscars was kinda odd considering that GB was head writer of the Oscars (don't bite the hand that feeds you)...

'Guardians of the Galaxy' Director Responds to Awards Season's Superhero Hate
The Hollywood Reporter  February 24, 2015
https://www.yahoo.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-director-responds-to-111950797827.html

Edited by tv echo

I'm confused about who wrote what - the people who wrote "Let it Go" from Frozen were the ones who wrote the song that bit was a part of. NPH had a team of special material writers that wrote the jokes. What exactly did GB, AK, and Seth Graeme-Smith write? The general order of the show and the introductions and stuff? 

Edited by apinknightmare

Anyone watch Gotham?  Was that supposed to be Jason Todd in the Red Hood?  I keep seeing the picture on the front page of Pre.TV

No one was called Jason Todd on the show, but they may or may not have been starting his origin story at the very end. I'm guessing not since Robin isn't even born yet. The red hood was worn by bank robbers that thought the hood made them invincible. It was a kind of meh plot line after seeing TeenJoker last week. 

Edited by Sakura12

What exactly did GB, AK, and Seth Graeme-Smith write? The general order of the show and the introductions and stuff? 

I assume that's it, the intros that the presenters read and anything that wasn't the musical numbers and the jokes NPH did.  I'm kind of glad they didn't write his jokes, considering how much he bombed.

Greg Berlanti, executive producer of CW’s Arrow and The Flash served as head writer, with his fellow executive producer Andrew Kreisberg and Green Lantern screenwriter Michael Green also on the team.

Berlanti was also one of the writers of Green Lantern.  This could explain why the show wasn't funny, sometimes they get it, but a lot of times they don't.

I wonder if MG resented it that he wasn't asked to write for it too.

Edited by statsgirl

I also thought the Jack Black scripted rant against superhero movies at the Oscars was kinda odd considering that GB was head writer of the Oscars (don't bite the hand that feeds you)...

'Guardians of the Galaxy' Director Responds to Awards Season's Superhero Hate

The Hollywood Reporter  February 24, 2015

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/guardians-of-the-galaxy-director-responds-to-111950797827.html

I'm glad someone responded.  They ranted against superhero movies but patted Transformers on the back?  What the hell?

• Love 1

After having watched Arrow and Agent Carter every week for the past several weeks, if I had the power to choose only one of these two shows to continue next season, I'd choose Agent Carter.  I realize this is moot since Arrow has already been renewed, but it's a measure of my disillusionment with Arrow this season... and Arrow used to be my number one superhero show.

Agent Carter finished off its 8-episode season run last night - and it was the best 8 hours of television for one show that I've seen in a long time.  That show perfectly mixed all of the disparate elements together - dark and light, humor and heartbreak, action and suspense.  Moreover, it had three-dimensional characters.  Even when they changed their views (Jack) or changed their personality (Dottie), they were always acting in character.  The heroine, Peggy Carter, is one of the most well-written and well-acted female characters that I've ever seen on television.  And, even without a mask and costume, Peggy in her pantsuit kicked ass more convincingly and realistically in her knock-down, drag-out fight with Dottie than some characters on other shows who wear tight-fitting black leather outfits do.  I will miss that show.

• Love 13

I find it odd that Hemsworth and Ruffalo are billed higher than Evans.

I think Carter will appear in flashbacks?  I know she's supposed to be in flashbacks in Antman as well.  I really love that the MCU uses all of it's characters to build this connected universe.

• Love 1

Joss Whedon wanted to write a scene for Hayley Atwell. He wasn't able to use the one he wrote for the Avengers (the rewritten scene was used in The Winter Solider). I love that they are using Peggy in everything. She does have 60 years of history to connect everything. 

• Love 1

I'm pretty sure all the figures in the background are Ultrons.

ETA: Although I get your point, Danny Franks, and don't necessarily disagree with you.

Edited by KirkB

Portman is the thing I hate most about Thor. I like her as an actress and sometimes don't mind the character, but I just don't find the love story compellong, for me, it's so forced in Thor,

• Love 1

Portman had a bad experience filming Thor 2. Apparently she was very excited to work with a female director or Kenneth Brannow (sp) both were replaced because of Marvel's rushed time frame. After that she refused to do anything not spelled out in her contract. 60% of her scenes were not filmed with the other actors. Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleson both were in Hong Kong to film the final battle, her scenes were filmed in LA and added during post the same for the scenes shot in Iceland (the dark world). If you rewatch the movie knowing that you can tell how often they are using a body double for Jane.

So I'm not surprised that she isn't used in the second Avengers movie.

I'm excited to see Haley in anything after Agent Carter. I'm just hoping Tony figures out a way to bring Peggy into the future for Steve so she can have a large part in the third Captain America movie.

Wow. I knew she had issues about the change in directors and there were rumors she wanted out of her contract (beyond Thor 2). Frankly neither her character nor the romance works (IMO) so I would be totally fine with Jane exiting stage left. Sif is a better character (IMO) and IIRC is more important to the Thor Comic Mythos than Jane anyway..would have enjoyed seeing Sif in Avengers 2.

all that being said, I think Portman is a great actress, I just don't think she's suited for sci-fi/comic movies.

• Love 3

I like the idea of Jane more than the idea of Sif for the romance in Thor. When you have a superpower/god hero it seems to work better when you pair them with an average person, someone the audience can relate to and I'll always be a sucker for a hero that falls for the smart girl trope.

Unfortunately Jane Foster suffers from poor execution (not Portman's fault).

I enjoyed Jane in Thor, it's my favorite of the Marvel stand alone movies but A Dark World destroyed that character when they had her in London, abandoning her career that the first movie established as very important to her, after the guy she knew for 3 days and kissed once didn't return. 

So moving forward I agree that Sif is better option.   

• Love 1

TBH, I doubt Idris Elba's or Tom Hiddleston's appearances in Age of Ultron will be in the actual movie itself. Since the 3rd Thor movie is slated for 2017, my money is on them being the subject of either the mid-credits or after-credits scene as a set up for what's to come with Loki and what happened with Odin.

Wow. I knew she had issues about the change in directors and there were rumors she wanted out of her contract (beyond Thor 2). Frankly neither her character nor the romance works (IMO) so I would be totally fine with Jane exiting stage left. Sif is a better character (IMO) and IIRC is more important to the Thor Comic Mythos than Jane anyway..would have enjoyed seeing Sif in Avengers 2.

all that being said, I think Portman is a great actress, I just don't think she's suited for sci-fi/comic movies.

Agree with this. I've always found the romance plot between Thor and Jane to be flimsy at best and with NP's desire to leave the franchise, I hope Marvel finds a way past forcing the pairing. No shade on NP whatsoever, but JA's Sif has always been sorely underused in comparison and personally, I would much rather watch her journey than Jane's.

Edited by NumberCruncher
  • Love 1

Me too. I thought Chris Evans was the biggest name after Robert Downey Jr. Maybe he is just a chilled out guy not too concerned about billings and stuff.

• Love 1

I thought Sif was a lot of fun in Agents of Shield, but I probably could not have told you a thing about her after either Thor movie. She was just kind of...there, in the background, looking at Thor or fighting someone. I love Kat Dennings as Darcy, though.

I actually think Scarlett Johansson and Mark Ruffalo have the best careers of the people credited on the Age of Ultron poster.

Sif was supposed to have had a bigger role in Thor 2 but JA got injured during filming and they had to reduce her role. IIRC, she missed a month of filming because of her back injury.

I always wondered what her role would have been like without the injury. I heard they were going to go into the Jane/Thor/Sif triangle but I would have liked some backstory on Sif/Thor, IIRC they were childhood sweethearts in the comics

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 3

Me too. I thought Chris Evans was the biggest name after Robert Downey Jr. Maybe he is just a chilled out guy not too concerned about billings and stuff.

The Winter Soldier was huge and I loved him in Avengers but Thor was a much bigger movie than the first Captain America and Hemsworth seems to have a larger career outside of the franchise than Evans so his billing doesn't surprise me.  Ruffalo's does since we've only had him in Avengers but yeah, outside of the franchise his career seems pretty hot right now.   

I heard it somewhere that Chris Evans isn't interested in keeping on acting past what he's contracted for - I don't just mean the franchise but any acting.  I hope that's not true because I think it would be a shame.

• Love 1

Yeah I've heard that about Chris. There are rumors 

they really are killing Cap off in Civil War, too - although it's hard to believe it will stick

Agreed with everyone on Portman, Jane's the worst thing about Thor movies, for me. A very bland character and no chemistry with Hemsworth. All other females were more interesting than her.

So here's what I don't understand.  Who the fuck is Caity Lotz going to play other than Black Canary?

Good question. Maybe they are going to create a Sara Lance clone or robot? Or have a version of Sara cross over from another universe to ours?

Edited by strikera0
  • Love 1

Did we not all call some type of hybrid show that would encompass a lot of SH & V? I mean its predicatble. I think its also smart. Since I dont think ATOM could carry his own show. The cast does seem talented. Ill watch Victor Garber in anything - anything! And wentworth miller & Caity lotz impressed me on their Flarrow work. Hopefully they write better stuff for BR. But it does make me wonder, how are they gonna bring Caity Lotz back from the dead?? I mean they made sure to tell us she was dead dead dead. Perhaps a little Flash time travel?? Then we all can just watch the house of ridiculous plot cards come tumbling down on s3 Arrow..