Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Saturngirl seems like a really odd choice, why not have it just be Shadowlass, like in the comics? Considering Saturngirl and Lighting Lad are like THE OTP of Legion. Even if they did it because maybe they want to use her powers, wouldn't it be easier to just give Shadowlass mind reading powers or something. 

I thought the plan for Mon-El was always that his arc was gonna be two seasons. So maybe it's an intentional move to actually discourage shipping, if the plan was always to have him leave and be in the future permanently? Do we know who is supposed to play Saturngirl yet? 

Edited by LolaRuns

I'm almost very hesitant to call anybody from Legion popular. It seems she would be only popular within Legion fan circles, which is exactly the kind of people who would be annoyed that she's not with Lighting Lad like in the comics. 

And Shadowlass frequently is a hot chick in a bikini. They could just have her not have blue skin. 

Can anybody point me to the person/tweet that confirmed that it's Saturngirl? 

Edited by LolaRuns
Just now, LolaRuns said:

I'm almost very hesitant to call anybody from Legion popular. It seems she would be only popular within Legion fan circles, which is exactly the kind of people who would be annoyed that she's not with Lighting Lad like in the comics. 

And Shadowlass frequently is a hot chick in a bikini. They could just have her not have blue skin. 

Can anybody point me to the person/tweet that confirmed that it's Saturngirl? 

She is one of the main 3. She's been featured in countless adaptions. The same can't be said for Shadowlass. If your a Smallville fan but not a comic fan and watch Supergirl, you'd recognize the name. 

Spoiler Room: Scoop on Hawaii Five-0, Blacklist, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, and more
NATALIE ABRAMS    SEPTEMBER 21, 2017
http://ew.com/tv/2017/09/21/spoiler-room-scoop-hawaii-five-0-blacklist-brooklyn-nine-nine/

I want to know if we’ll see Iris and Cecile’s friendship develop this season on The Flash. — Alexa
There will be some sort of tension between Iris and Cecile, but probably not for the reason you’re thinking. “They have their own interpersonal relationship drama that will go down this season,” says Candice Patton, who explains that it doesn’t necessarily have to do with them being the two women in Joe’s life. “Iris really respects Cecile. I think she knows how much Cecile makes her dad happy, so in Iris’ eyes, she’s a welcome addition to the family. You’ll just have to wait and see how that whole thing between them plays out.”
What will we see of Rip this season on Legends of Tomorrow? — Rosa
Even though Rip has created his own Time Bureau, we have not seen the last of him working with the Legends, especially once he starts to uncover the underlying mystery running through this season. “There’s a thing that he discovers, which is very important to him and he feels like, at times, he can sort out on his own, and then also realizes he needs to call on the Legends in order to help him,” Arthur Darvill says. “The Time Bureau, as much as they’re brilliant, they do things in too much of an official way in order for, in his opinion, things to actually get done. So his interaction with the Legends, at the moment, is very much as a means to an end for him in terms of what he’s trying to achieve.”

• Love 1

The next DC TV crossover features "two events" that will make fans "lose their minds"
BY MORGAN JEFFERY   21 SEPTEMBER 2017
http://www.digitalspy.com/tv/supergirl/news/a838706/dc-tv-crossover-supergirl-the-flash-arrow-legends

So what can we expect? Well, according to The Flash star Grant Gustin, it might not be an evil menace that brings all the heroes together this time around.

"Last year was an alien invasion, so it was pretty intense," Gustin told Digital Spy. "But it sounds like this one will hopefully be more fun. It won't be impending doom necessarily that brings us together, it'll hopefully be a more fun reason that brings us together!"
"I know the premise and I know it's going to make a lot of fans happy," Melissa Benoist, star of Supergirl, revealed. "Two events happen that people are going to lose their minds about."
"It's a four-show crossover – not a three-show crossover – that is even bigger than last year, which I think is really saying something," Guggenheim said. "We've hit upon an idea that I think is really huge, it has big emotional stakes, and is something that I think the comic book fans in particularly will really dig.

Edited by tv echo

This writer's opinion is that The Flash is a better show than Arrow overall, but I think it's really a subjective analysis - he gave Arrow the win for Action and Big Bads, but he gave The Flash the win for Story, Comic Book Roots, Villains-Of-The-Week (And Mini-Arc Foes), Supporting Cast, Tone and The Hero...

Arrow Vs The Flash: Which TV Show Is Better?
James Hunt    Sep. 21, 2017
http://whatculture.com/tv/arrow-vs-the-flash-which-tv-show-is-better?

4. Love Interests
.  .  .
As is customary for superheroes - and more to the point, The CW network - there's plenty of romantic melodrama on both shows (which at times has become too much).

As befitting his playboy status (early on, anyway), Oliver Queen has had a few love interests, though three really stand out: Sara Lance, Laurel Lance, and Felicity Smoak. His relationship with Laurel was a sticking point for the show, with the comics dictating that they should be together, but not much chemistry present. Conversely, he and Sara worked much better together, but it couldn't be a long-term thing. And that brings us to Felicity, or 'Olicity'. Stephen Amell and Emily Bett Rickards had a lot of chemistry, which is why they were eventually put together in the first place, and in theory that should've worked. But it dominated the show far too much, and started to ruin Felicity's character, to the point where they then had to be forced apart. They might well get back together in the future (the groundwork is certainly there), but Oliver's arguably better off alone right now.

The Flash, on the other hand, has only really had one love: Iris West. A brief relationship with Patty Spivot (who was very Felciity-esque) aside, it's always been Iris for Barry, which has often worked to the detriment of the show. At first it was kinda weird, because they were like brother and sister. Then Barry kept his identity from her for too long, and a lot of the time it felt like they were getting together because that's what the future said. Even more egregious, though, is that Iris - despite Candice Patton's performance - largely stopped being a character, and instead became a plot point.

Winner: Draw
The Flash is the better show, thanks to its more upbeat, hopeful tone, comic book nature, and winning lead performance, but there are a number of areas where it's really close between them. When Arrow is at its very best it's an absolute thrill, and likewise The Flash. The issue is that both shows have had far too many struggles over the last few years, with Arrow peaking in Season 2, and The Flash peaking in Season 1. The highs are on a fairly even keel, and maybe more a matter of preference in terms of tone, but Arrow's lows are lower than The Flash's, which has remained at more of a mid-level rather than going outright terrible.

Edited by tv echo

Incidentally, Gotham's new season premiered last night and they're pronouncing Ra's al Ghul's name as "Raish" not "Rahz"...

GOTHAM’S DAVID MAZOUZ ON BECOMING BATMAN
by Fred Topel | September 18, 2017 
https://editorial.rottentomatoes.com/article/gothams-david-mazouz-on-becoming-batman/?cmp=TWRT_Interview_Mazouz_919

RT: We’ve seen Liam Neeson as Ra’s in Batman Begins and Matt Nable on Arrow. Is Alexander Siddig the darkest, meanest Ra’s al Ghul we’ve seen in DC shows or movies?
Mazouz
: Yes, absolutely. I would say this is the most evil Ra’s al Ghul. This is the Ra’s al Ghul that will do awful, awful, very, very controversial things that I’m surprised they’re letting us do on national television.

Edited by tv echo

I don’t like Kara, but I’ll take more Iris and Felicity scenes however I can get them. lol 

I know I’m a little late to the party, but finally something about the crossovers to look forward to.

11 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

I don’t like Kara, but I’ll take more Iris and Felicity scenes however I can get them. lol 

I know I’m a little late to the party, but finally something about the crossovers to look forward to.

Just curious, why don't you like Kara? 

Not being snarky or trying to convince you to like her (I'm neutral on her myself and like a whole heap of other characters in Arrowverse a lot more), I'm just really curious. 

I love Kara, though I like her better away from Mon-el, their dynamic just doesn't bring out the best in her. Though their writing was a little better towards the end of the season. 

The crossover sounds pretty fun so far. They do seem to have listened to the fans and included some stuff many people want to see. 

Edited by Oreo2234
  • Love 1
Just now, tv echo said:

This writer's opinion is that The Flash is a better show than Arrow overall, but I think it's really a subjective analysis...

My favorite part was that he basically says oh Flash hasn't really been really good since s1, but it's still totally better than Arrow (which at least overall critically wise has now had 3 "good" seasons), which seems like a weird comparison to me. I liked some comparisons though, like I do agree Flash has better VotW and Arrow has better/more interesting big bads, but have to disagree with supporting characters/love interests (and the lead comparison. That should have been the one that was the draw at least). Those kind of come up to subjective opinions, but I thought it was weird how for those categories he analyzed each show from a different perspective rather than being consistent with comparisons. Like, Arrow supporting characters were analyzed by what they brought to the team and how their plots when while Flash supporting characters were more analyzed by how their characters fit in the overall story and their journeys, which I think is kind of unfair because if you chose one path and stuck with it I think it would be more fair (like maybe arguably Flash supporting characters bring more stuff to the team and the plots of the season where Arrow supporting characters bring more to the story and are attempted to be fleshed out whether you like them or not or whether it's executed well or not, but that's another argument). Likewise, one of their complaints for Iris was listing the weird stuff that kept them apart and then saying that she was basically demoted to a plot point while then demoting to how Felicity as a love interest works for Arrow by just talking about the Olicity subplot and then calling it a "tie." Stick with one aspect (which romantic subplot was "better" or which love interest is a better character). 

• Love 2

I'm so confused when I read that being a LI ruined Felicity's character?

How was it ruined? She was/is still heroic, has lots of backbone and personality, stands up for herself, has saved the hero and lots of other lives. She is still funny and charming when she needs to be. Her insecurities were explored and they explored her dark side. I loved her in S1 and S2 and that's what drew me to the show but Felicity has really grown up over the past few seasons.

It boggles my mind when I see these random claims with no basis that her character was ruined! 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

How was it ruined? She was/is still heroic, has lots of backbone and personality, stands up for herself, has saved the hero and lots of other lives. She is still funny and charming when she needs to be. Her insecurities were explored and they explored her dark side. I loved her in S1 and S2 and that's what drew me to the show but Felicity has really grown up over the past few seasons.

That's exactly why she's "ruined" to them, because she's become a three-dimensional main character instead of staying the goofy girl sidekick with the unrequited crush that they liked. The complaints I've seen leveled at Felicity always boil down to "She's selfish/self centered!" (stands up for herself) "She talks back to Oliver!"(she has a backbone) "She cries too much!" (she shows emotion other than quippy lightheartedness) and "She did XYZ horrible things!" (she make mistakes). Basically, any character that shows growth or gets layers becomes "ruined" for some people. 

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

Just curious, why don't you like Kara? 

Not being snarky or trying to convince you to like her (I'm neutral on her myself and like a whole heap of other characters in Arrowverse a lot more), I'm just really curious. 

I found the show infantilized her (only  watched season 1). I heard she only got worse in season 2. On top of that, I think the actress is terrible. I had super high hopes for SG, and for me, it didn’t deliver. That said, I know people love her and she’s important to many.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

That's exactly why she's "ruined" to them, because she's become a three-dimensional main character instead of staying the goofy girl sidekick with the unrequited crush that they liked. The complaints I've seen leveled at Felicity always boil down to "She's selfish/self centered!" (stands up for herself) "She talks back to Oliver!"(she has a backbone) "She cries too much!" (she shows emotion other than quippy lightheartedness) and "She did XYZ horrible things!" (she make mistakes). Basically, any character that shows growth or gets layers becomes "ruined" for some people. 

Pretty much. She got "ruined" when they gave her than one scene involving quippy tech chatter per episode and fleshed out her character and (gasp!) made her a serious Li even though she's not a comic character. I've seen people simultaneously try to argue that she's a yes girl doormat to Oliver and a bitchy harpy who turned the show into "Fefe and Friends" work that one out. I like both Flash ladies but she's more fleshed out than either of them.

• Love 6

I didn't watch Supergirl last season, so I can't comment on this article (from April)...

My problem with Supergirl’s professionalism
By CATHERINE PALMER on April 27, 2017
http://www.jhunewsletter.com/2017/04/27/my-problem-with-supergirls-professionalism/

As a viewer, the decision to make Kara a reporter seemed like a logical next step and one that I’d hoped would offer more opportunities for personal growth.
Kara’s boss this season is Snapper Carr (Ian Gomez), who is gruff, no-nonsense and harsh but very dedicated to his craft and to helping Kara. He is unafraid to tell Kara when her ideas need to be more fleshed out or when her articles are poorly written. He may sound mean, but he is never wrong, and he always accepts Kara’s work post-revision.

Kara, on the other hand, without fail takes Snapper’s criticism horribly and talks back to him, even though she has literally zero experience as a reporter. Instead of taking the opportunity to learn from him, she just makes painful attempts to prove him wrong and then begrudgingly makes all the corrections he’d asked for, as if she were doing him a favor.

She acted entitled from day one. In doing so, she not only disrespected Snapper but also the field of journalism she professes to care so much about. If she really cared about being a reporter, she would want her stories to be the best they could be and not let her ego get in the way.
One of the most frustrating aspects of Kara’s reporter arc this season was watching it as a former News & Features Editor for The News-Letter. I was never harsh, but I would definitely give writers feedback. If they weren’t made aware of what they were doing wrong, they might keep making the same mistakes and never reach their full potential.

Kara never seemed to appreciate that, and yet, as the protagonist, she is much more likely to get an audience’s sympathy. Snapper has been painted as a villain of sorts by many viewers.

That could not be further from the truth, though. Snapper is an excellent editor, and Kara was an obnoxious and unreliable writer. Trust me, I’m sure I would like Kara as a person, but I would have found her incredibly frustrating to work with as a reporter.

Thankfully, Kara finally changed her tune this past Monday in an episode entitled “Ace Reporter,” in which she independently investigated a biomedical company.
“And the biggest thing I’ve learned,” she said, “is that it’s not the reporter that matters, it’s the truth that matters.”

About time, Kara! Fortunately for her, Snapper clearly appreciated her newfound maturity and commitment. To Kara’s surprise, he shared the byline of the article with her and rehired her as a reporter. I still don’t understand why the show took so long to get Kara to this point, but I’m glad she’s finally on the right track.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, JJ928 said:

I found the show infantilized her (only  watched season 1). I heard she only got worse in season 2. On top of that, I think the actress is terrible. I had super high hopes for SG, and for me, it didn’t deliver. That said, I know people love her and she’s important to many.

IMO season 2 Kara was a lot more bossy and assertive, which a lot of people didn't like because they were into her infantilized season 1 personality. That doesn't mean that you will like her in season 2 better because there is bickering and her being judgey sometimes. But she is not as meek as in season 1. 

About time, Kara! Fortunately for her, Snapper clearly appreciated her newfound maturity and commitment. To Kara’s surprise, he shared the byline of the article with her and rehired her as a reporter. I still don’t understand why the show took so long to get Kara to this point, but I’m glad she’s finally on the right track.

I've always had very mixed feelings over Kara being a reporter at all, since she isn't really in the comics and it's just such an integral part of Superman's identity. But within the context of this story, I felt the show was a bit unfair in making Snapper so one note rather than acknowledging that he might have had a point. Sure he wasn't an all out bad guy, but overall the story still played out as him being mean to Kara who of course it actually a good reporter without putting genuine effort into it. The show only paid lip service to Snapper making her rewrite her articles to be less biased but I don't think the show truly acknowledged how that might be good and important. 

• Love 3

http://tvline.com/2017/09/22/the-flash-barry-iris-wedding-crossover-episode-photo/

It’s official, The Flash‘s Barry and Iris are getting hitched — but their crossover-set wedding won’t go off without a crisis.

The year’s DCTV crossover between ArrowThe FlashSupergirl and DC’s Legends of Tomorrow will be titled “Crisis on Earth-X,” TVLine has learned.

While heroes from the four CW series gather in town to celebrate Barry and Iris’ nuptials, villains from Earth-X crash the festivities with a deadly agenda.

To mark the special event, which begins production today, a custom comic book cover by legendary comic artist Phil Jimenez (Wonder Woman) was commissioned by The CW and Warner Bros. Check out who’s on the wedding guest list below — there’s a few surprises! — then scroll down to continue reading.

IMG_0528.JPG

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

No Alex? 

Zari's superhero name is just Zari? I guess they did figure out eventually that Isis probably isn't the most suitable name.

So Killer Frost will fight on the side of the good guys *as Killer Frost*?

Edited by LolaRuns

I don't think that Martian Manhunter is coming, after all so far they only mentioned Alex, Kara and Winn being in the crossover. However, it makes no sense that Wally wouldn't be at the wedding, so why wouldn't he be fighting the badguys with them. I also assumed Jesse and Gypsy might be at the wedding as dates. 

Edited by LolaRuns

Bahaha that's such cheap/shitty artwork. Not only is it poorly drawn but it's like 2-3 decades old. That's straight up 80-90 cover art. Which isnt even good like Marvel is doing with Thor and GotG2.

If that's the official/ final poster it's a POS, last year was much better and really cool when we caught a glimpse of what looked like the JLA Headquarters  (which was confirmed with the full poster reveal)

• Love 9
1 minute ago, LolaRuns said:

And that's Captain Cold on the hero side, right behind Barry's head, right? 

I have to say, that's one way to convince people to watch your animated mini series on an obscure comic book character. 

That's Sara & Killer Frost.

They said they would meet a different version of Cold. So maybe Cold is actually from the universe where all the evil doppelgangers are from, only he is a hero there and that is what is really shocking to Heatwave? 

• Love 2

About the cover:

“We conceived this year’s crossover to be evocative of the annual Justice League/Justice Society crossovers we grew up with and looked forward to as kids,” executive producers Marc Guggenheim and Andrew Kreisberg said in a statement. “Phil was the perfect choice to bring the comic book cover iteration of this idea to life. You can count on one hand the number of artists who could compellingly represent so many characters in a single image. Phil is one of them. And his design invokes the cover of Justice League #207, which was the 20th Annual JLA/JSA crossover. Our ten-year-old selves are in heaven.“

I googled Justice League #207 and here it is.  

IMG_0529.JPG

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 4

I'm not caught up on The Ray news. Is The Ray supposed to be native to the universe with all the evil Superheroes? And that's why it's called Freedom Fighters? 

If there is a chance that this Cold is also from this universe, I wonder if there is any chance that Cold and Ray are a couple. Since they made a big deal out of The Ray being the first gay superhero they are doing. And Wentworth has said before that he thinks of Cold as pansexual. 

Maybe that could be why Heatwave is shocked and what Melissa Benoist said in regards to two things that would make the fans go crazy (the other one being the wedding I assume). 

I think both Russel and Wentworth are out and fairly outspoken, so I could picture them being totally down for a storyline like that. 

Edited by LolaRuns
  • Love 2

I thought Wentworth is supposed to be on for only few episodes and Sara is supposed to get a new love interest this season. I don't think that the new Snart will be a regular part of Legends. 

Anybody who is following the Freedom Fighters news know whether The Ray already has a love interest confirmed? Because it seems kinda pointless to make a big fuss about him being the first gay superhero and then have his love life be non-existent. 

Edited by LolaRuns
Just now, Chaser said:

Is that Evil Oliver? I demand Evil Felicity as well.

Lbr, if Felicity is evil on the other side the heroes would lose. Almost makes me wonder if they'll do that or if we do see Earth-X Felicity she'd actually be part of the Freedom Fighters and Marc could gets his loophole again and she'd be like a physical fighter or something at least for the Arrow episode while real Felicity works with Winn for the other episodes.

From the cover I wonder if that was what JS was teasing about coming back even though Chase is dead and I wonder if Matt Letscher is coming back as RF of if Barry's gonna be in that yellow suit.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, way2interested said:

From the cover I wonder if that was what JS was teasing about coming back even though Chase is dead and I wonder if Matt Letscher is coming back as RF of if Barry's gonna be in that yellow suit.

E1 Barry is bad enough - you don't need another Earth's version of him to play a villain!

• Love 14