Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I just hope they include DD's main cast in the show because at this point, most viewers probably are more invested in them rather than Luke Cage and Iron Fist (who may or may not be received well - I'm very unsure about Iron Fist's casting, for instance, and I've already written about Luke). TBH at this point I'd just prefer to see Jessica, Trish, Foggy, Frank and Karen hanging out. I guess Matt must be there to help with superheroing, but meh, they'll be fine without him.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Is that Jena Malone?

It is.   She's not even a natural blonde,  so did she dye her hair or put her in a wig.   So many questions.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Delphi said:

Ugh I hate blonde Babs. Passionately.  Would it be that hard to stick with red hair? 

You know I don't think she's supposed to be Barbara, she seems to be talking to Lois about an article. I've seen speculation online that she's actually Cat Grant. which in the context of what we saw actually makes sense.

21 minutes ago, foreverevolving said:

You know I don't think she's supposed to be Barbara, she seems to be talking to Lois about an article. I've seen speculation online that she's actually Cat Grant. which in the context of what we saw actually makes sense.

i thought it was confirmed that Jenna Malone was Barbara?  I remember seeing articles about WB accidentally leaking her character out when it sent out it's weekly surveys.

9 hours ago, Delphi said:

Ugh I hate blonde Babs. Passionately.  Would it be that hard to stick with red hair? 

But Lois Lane in the movie is a red head and you can't expect the audience to tell apart two women with a similar shade of hair!  (I wish I was kidding)

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

i thought it was confirmed that Jenna Malone was Barbara?  I remember seeing articles about WB accidentally leaking her character out when it sent out it's weekly surveys.

I think it was mostly heavily rumored because of something from a screening. I guess she could be Babs but.. I find it weird that Barbara Gordon first ever silver screen debut will be opposite a Superman character (ie Lois) and not a Batman family character (Bruce, Alfred, or even Gordon). But if she is Cat Grant or maybe even Chloe Sullivan (or some version of her- I would soo approve of this!) than her interacting with Lois for her silver screen debut makes so much more sense! in my opinion.

I guess we'll know once the DVD is out.

4 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

tumblr_o87vo96y831tyarbho1_1280.jpg

Source

I wasn't sure if this should go in the Clock Theater thread, but since it's to do with The Flash I chose to put it here. 

For a second there I thought the chandelier was another Flash hanging from the ceiling ala cirque du soleil. it's late, I may have drank some wine tonight..

• Love 1
2 hours ago, wonderwall said:

Sounds like he was as unhappy with Barry as we all were.  Am I reading too much into that? I wondered when Matt Mitovich interviewed him at upfronts and he said he had to take a break from the character at the end of the season.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

Sounds like he was as unhappy with Barry as we all were.  Am I reading too much into that? I wondered when Matt Mitovich interviewed him at upfronts and he said he had to take a break from the character at the end of the season.

I don't think you're reading into it. I seem to remember him tweeting something along the lines of, Oh, Barry *shakes head*, we're done, after the finale aired.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, foreverevolving said:

I think it was mostly heavily rumored because of something from a screening. I guess she could be Babs but.. I find it weird that Barbara Gordon first ever silver screen debut will be opposite a Superman character (ie Lois) and not a Batman family character (Bruce, Alfred, or even Gordon). But if she is Cat Grant or maybe even Chloe Sullivan (or some version of her- I would soo approve of this!) than her interacting with Lois for her silver screen debut makes so much more sense! in my opinion.

I guess we'll know once the DVD is out.

This is what was leaked by WB right when BvS came out. It lists Jena Malone's character as Barbara Gordon.  Yes, it was rumored before that but, this pretty much confirmed it back in March.

Jenna-Malone-19e6c.jpg

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/spoilers-jena-malones-mysterious-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-a131945

2 hours ago, bijoux said:

I don't think you're reading into it. I seem to remember him tweeting something along the lines of, Oh, Barry *shakes head*, we're done, after the finale aired.

I remember that, too. I hope GG is happy because Barry gets a legit smackdown for his selfishness and not just because things aren't as bad as he'd feared in terms of consequences. 

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, bethy said:

I remember that, too. I hope GG is happy because Barry gets a legit smackdown for his selfishness and not just because things aren't as bad as he'd feared in terms of consequences. 

Given the way they write Barry, I'd be really surprised if this isn't the case. 

GG must have been really annoyed by the return to Barry trying to save his mother if he wasn't "on speaking terms" with Barry.  Makes me like the guy even more.

• Love 9
(edited)

Some SA comments on the 4-way Arrow/Flash/LoT/Supergirl crossovers (said in recent TMNT2 interviews)...

Stephen Amell interview: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Arrow
Interview Matt Edwards 4 Jun 2016 - 06:45
http://www.denofgeek.com/uk/movies/stephen-amell/40794/stephen-amell-interview-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-arrow

I went to my Den of Geek Arrow sources (thanks Rob Leane and Caroline Preece!) and checked what I should ask about Arrow. They told me that I had to ask you about a potential Supergirl crossover now that that show has moved to the same channel. Is that something you’d be keen on?

Sure. Why not, right? I’ve met Melissa, she’s very nice. I’d like to work with her. I haven’t seen Supergirl because I’m very busy. I watch Survivor and Game Of Thrones and sports. Then I’ll binge watch stuff. I’ll probably watch Supergirl when the first season is done and I can watch it all in one place. This just recently happened, so I don’t know when Supergirl’s gonna come on the schedule, I don’t know how that’s going to work. But four superhero shows on one network under one DC umbrella is kind of unprecedented and I think it would be fun.

The Flash is a much bigger brand, as is Supergirl, than Arrow. Flash has done so extraordinarily well, and certainly from a ratings perspective; it’s the biggest show on The CW. But we were there first, right? So there’s always, if something big is gonna happen, it’s almost like I have to be there. Obviously there are bigger properties in the Marvel universe than Iron Man, but Tony Stark was the first one so he kind of becomes the de facto leader in some way. I would like it. I think it would be fun.

DON’T EXPECT STEPHEN AMELL TO SING ALONGSIDE THE FLASH AND SUPERGIRL ANYTIME SOON
by CRYSTAL BELL  June 3, 2016
http://www.mtv.com/news/2888725/stephen-amell-no-musical-flash-supergirl/

When asked if he would be open to a very special musical crossover in the Berlanti-verse — literally everyone has an abnormally beautiful voice on these DC TV shows — Amell said, “No,” faster than Barry Allen broke the barrier.

“No. I’m out! I’m the first one. I get to draw the line, and I draw the line at musical,” Amell told MTV News while promoting his new film Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out Of The Shadows in New York City. “They have to show me how they’re going to do this magical four-show crossover. It was hard enough when it was two shows and mixing in Legends a little bit. To make it four shows? I’m dumbfounded.”

OK, so maybe Oliver Queen won’t be singing when Arrow returns to in fall, but according to the CW star, he will be getting back to business. Arrow is a vigilante first and foremost, and while introducing meta-humans like The Flash and DC’s Legends has deterred the Green Arrow from his street-level ways, that’s all about to change in Season 5.
“I’ve been thinking a lot about this, and I think the writers have as well,” Amell said. “We had a discussion, and I said, ’Look man. Arrow was set up as a very specific thing, and it’s up to us to do what we do. And what we do, we do better than anyone else on TV.’ Part of the price of success is that we’ve had to introduce other shows. We can always get around new powers and people from other planets, but it is important that when all that dust settles that we are focussing on what we do well.”

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, wonderwall said:

As much as BA annoyed me a lot this season. I do love GG playing him. Even GG realized BA was a douchebag this year. I hope he gave GB & AK some insight into making BA better. It must not be fun to have to play a character you are actively pissed off at week after week.

• Love 3

Ok, I appreciate all Stephen's been saying about the show going back to basics etc. But..I'm getting a weird vibe from these interviews - maybe because there's a lot of them lately, all reporting the same thing. He almost makes it sound like they need his approval before doing something, which I believe it's not the case. Like he has much more input than I think he does. Next what, will he say he writes his lines, and then fall into an elevator shaft?

3 hours ago, Midnight Lullaby said:

I didn't get that feeling..I got the idea that it's the one thing he discussed with Berlanti so it's the only one he always talks about since he knows that's the EPs' idea as well.

I know, and that's why I added the 'maybr it's because there's a lot of them' :)

Still, if one didn't know him or the kind of interviews he gives, and just read the quotes going around, he sounds like a freaking diva.

• Love 1
(edited)

Stephen Amell Teases Four Night DC TV Crossover Event
Matthew Mueller   06/04/16
http://comicbook.com/dc/2016/06/04/stephen-amell-teases-four-night-dc-tv-crossover-event/

During a panel at Wizard World Philadelphia, our onsite reporter Brandon Davis brings us news of what Amell would like to see happen with all four shows now being on the same network.
"I think what we'll end up seeing is one giant four-night crossover. No seriously. (to much applause). How we're going to end up doing that...I don't know. But um, this is really um, this is kind of an unprecedented moment in terms of the history of network television. To have four shows, same showrunner. Um, obviously Supergirl is in a little bit of a different universe, but we can fix that. That's one line of dialogue and it's all fixed. So I would suspect Oliver will be meeting Supergirl at some point."
When asked how he sees Arrow fitting into a setup like that, Amell said: "All I want to see is Supergirl fly and David Ramsey's reaction to it. That's really all we want to see. And I'm still mad I haven't shared a scene with Victor Garber yet, so as long as that ends up happening I'll be good."

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 5
(edited)

Stephen Amell Teases The Flash, Arrow, Legends of Tomorrow & Supergirl Four Night DC TV Crossover

Stephen Amell Talks about a potential Supergirl Arrow Crossover

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Top 10 Superhero TV Series This Season
By Amanda Joyce Jun 04, 2016 12:17 PM
http://www.themovienetwork.com/content/top-10-superhero-tv-series-season

The 2015-2016 TV season had some high highs and some incredibly low lows though, so I’m taking a look back and ranking the superhero shows that aired in case you missed some and want to evaluate which ones you should binge watch first.
I’ve used the very scientific method of combining ratings systems on five different TV heavy sites that allow for both fan and critical ratings as well as my own personal preference of story arcs for the most recent season to give you a comprehensive grade for each episode on the traditional 0-100% school grading scale for all the series on the list. Click through to see how they rank.
#5 Arrow 79.8%

When Arrow debuted on the CW, there wasn’t the vibrant palette of superhero shows we have now. Arrow was all comic book fans had to see what superhero shows could be. Without it, networks wouldn’t have taken chances on shows like Gotham or Agents of SHIELD, despite the success of big screen comic book stories. It’s no surprise that it still ranks as one of the top DC shows on television, even if fans have been disappointed with stories in the most recent seasons and have grown tired of the darkness.

Despite complaints about the show’s reliance on flashbacks and its handling of relationships, Arrow remains the show that most DC fans watch to get their comic book fix on television. While Gotham has been criticized for being a little too cheesy, Flash for its confusing storylines, and Legends of Tomorrow for shallowly examining characters, Arrow has a few years on both shows, allowing it to delve deeper into the world of the comics than anything else on television, and it will likely be able to go even further next season.

#10 Heroes Reborn 64.5%
#9 Legends of Tomorrow 70%
#8 Supergirl 73%
#7 Gotham 74%
#6 The Flash 77.4%
#5 Arrow 79.8%
#4 Agents of SHIELD 84%
#3 Agent Carter 84.4%
#2 Daredevil 85.6%
#1 Jessica Jones 87.6%

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

So there is a lot of scuttlebutt on Twitter that Channing Tatum might be leaving his role as Gambit to join a DC movie because the guy that is directing The Flash started following Tatum on Twitter. So if that is the case, who do you think Tatum would play?  Also, some folks on Twitter want him to play Green Arrow.

4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

So there is a lot of scuttlebutt on Twitter that Channing Tatum might be leaving his role as Gambit to join a DC movie because the guy that is directing The Flash started following Tatum on Twitter. So if that is the case, who do you think Tatum would play?  Also, some folks on Twitter want him to play Green Arrow.

I don't know if he would be a good GA. I also don't think facial hair looks good on him. But Channing Tatum in [or out ;-)] of a superhero costume, sign me up!

4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I thought the Flash movie director quit. Or am I thinking of a different DC movie?

I have no idea. I was just following the Twitter discussion.

6 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I thought the Flash movie director quit. Or am I thinking of a different DC movie?

Rick Famuyiwa has replaced Seth Grahame-Smith as The Flash director. Famuyiwa directed Dope which was pretty good, and I really liked it. Yet I'm still not excited for The Flash movie. 

• Love 1

I had a somewhat problematic reaction to the Flash season 2 finale. 

Overall I liked the episode even though the time remnant thing is...convenient. So the time remnant already decided to kill himself because Barry had no time to convince him...right? Anyway, it was a smart finale and I liked it.

Then the end happened. This is where my reaction became problematic: I could not care less what happens on The Flash with Barry's many forrays into the past. But just imagine the possibilities for Arrow! Yes something horrible could happen like Laurel lives or something, but I hope when Arrow does have a what if episode it messes with everything *cackling madly*

I got excited...for the wrong series. Whoops.

• Love 2
(edited)

This article on Geoff Johns, new co-head of DC Films, seems timely...

The New Co-Chief of DC Superhero Movies Is Big On Hope and Optimism
By Abraham Riesman  May 18, 2016
http://www.vulture.com/2016/05/geoff-johns-dc-films.html?wpsrc=nymag

Now, in a move that made total sense to the reporters at the intimate gathering, Johns is apparently about to gain even more influence. The previous night’s report, broken by The Hollywood Reporter, outlines how Johns will be one of two people (the other being Warner executive vice president Jon Berg) in charge of a newly formed entity called DC Films, which will oversee future movies about Superman, Batman, the Flash, and other beloved properties.

He was there to talk about an upcoming comic he wrote and said he couldn’t confirm the story, but that “you can connect the dots.” Even though he declined to directly address that topic and didn’t speak specifically about DC’s film slate, he was more than willing to talk about what he thinks makes the DC mythos unique. One phrase came out of his mouth over and over again as he talked about DC’s comics: “hope and optimism.” Though Johns would never speak ill of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice or its director, Zack Snyder — Johns is nothing if not loyal to the company that made him a star — it’s crystal clear that his vision for DC looks a lot brighter than the much-maligned grimness Snyder provided earlier this year.

DC’s nascent cinematic universe has so far depicted Superman as an angry god; a violent, alien entity that needs to be kept in check. This morning, Johns offered a vastly different take on the character's archetype. “I think people make a mistake when they say, ‘Superman’s not relatable because he’s so powerful,’” he said. “I’m like, ‘Are you kidding me? He’s a farmboy from Kansas who moves to the city and just wants to do the best he can with what he’s got.’ That’s the most relatable character in the world."
As such, he wrote for the CW’s Arrow and helped launch its spinoff The Flash, where he acted as a writer, developer, and executive producer. He advised game developers. He became part of a brain trust responsible for mapping out the contours of the nascent DC cinematic universe. Last year, it was announced that he and Ben Affleck were co-writing the screenplay for a standalone Batman movie. There’s no real equivalent to Johns in the Marvel org chart: Unlike Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige, Marvel TV head Jeph Loeb, or Marvel chief creative officer Joe Quesada, he has his fingers in virtually every medium the characters show up in.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Seriously, at this point, just cast Tom Welling. LOL

I don't like his version of Clark but the sheer Amusement of having them use Welling as a nudge nudge wink wink to Smallville (since it aired on The CW) just to Meta/Entertaining to me.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Seriously, at this point, just cast Tom Welling. LOL

I don't like his version of Clark but the sheer Amusement of having them use Welling as a nudge nudge wink wink to Smallville (since it aired on The CW) just to Meta/Entertaining to me.

This needs to happen.

• Love 1

It probably won't happen though. I'll post here what I posted in the Supergirl thread about this.

He's such a huge deal that I think if people like the guy they choose, there will very likely be demand for Superman to get his own show again. I can easily see it happening. For me (he's my favorite superhero), it'd be awesome because it would work to correct the current movie version of him, which is just totally wrong from every angle. I'd support it.

(edited)

Unless, Tom Welling doesn't want to revisit Superman, I honestly don't see how they cast anyone else.

Although, I could see DC pulling something out of their ass, like telling us that Ray Palmer was really Clark Kent's doppelganger and they write off Ray Palmer who didn't really work on Arrow and IMO is iffy on LoT and then voila, we have Superman and don't have to cast another actor and Brandon Routh gets to be Superman again instead of Phony Stark.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 1

Oh definitely. That's why I always thought they wouldn't bring him on, because they have to know that having him there would easily overshadow her.

But that makes me question what's going on behind the scenes, if maybe in response to how bad Superman is in the movies right now (maybe WB isn't wanting to make any more solo Superman movies, they seem to prefer Batman) they're opening the door to re-introducing him on television, since interestingly enough, he's always been successful in that medium, from the old George Reeves show to Lois & Clark to Smallville.

I can see it happening.

15 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Unless, Tom Welling doesn't want to revisit Superman, I honestly don't see how they cast anyone else.

Why? This is an honest question. They didn't cast Justin Hartley as Oliver either.

• Love 2