Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I am watching Arrow, The Flash, Gotham, AoS, Supergirl, and iZombie.

Arrow had IMO the best winter finale.  Most memorable and moving.  Best action, acting, humor and character development. 

I'd actually give 2nd place to Gotham.  Big meaningful things happened.  Great characters stuff and good action.  We talk a lot about how kids don't belong on a superhero show but Bruce and Cat work wonderfully, likely because they don't really act like kids or treat them like kids but it still is a part of their character. 

AoS managed to surprise me so I'll give them points for that (didn't see the Will reveal coming) but otherwise it was as expected.  Kept my interest well enough but I actually thought the pair of episodes that came before the mid season finale were stronger overall. 

Supergirl, The Flash, and iZombie all were good episodes but I wouldn't have probably known they were finale's of any kind if I hadn't been told.  

Supergirl is a show Iet myself enjoy without too much critique.  It is getting stronger and better in each episode but it still has some issues.  Loved the Cat Grant reveal but I'm afraid they'll take it away so I'm still not sure if I should give Supergirl full credit for going there.

iZombie did have fallout but again, I feel like they'll fix the issues pretty quickly so they didn't weigh to heavily on me (plus Major isn't that interesting as a love interest so meh, when they broke up). 

The Flash was a fun episode but while I wasn't at all spoiled that he would be in the episode, Wally West knocking at the door was NOT at all surprising.  Not sure why it was even considered a cliffhanger.   

Again, I think Arrow was best by a huge margin. 

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 1

This is interesting...

‘Constantine’ Resurrection May Possibly Happen Again in the Big Screen
Kazem Sedighzadeh    Posted date: December 20, 2015
http://masterherald.com/constantine-resurrection-may-possibly-happen-again-in-the-big-screen/32753/

More than the prospect of John Constantine joining the cast of “Legends of Tomorrow” for its still hypothetical Season 2 in 2017, there are now reports going around that Matt Ryan is also being eyed to reprise the role not on another TV series but on the big screen.

Accordingly, critically-acclaimed screenwriter, director and producer Guillermo del Toro is now working on the script of a movie also based on DC Comics tentatively titled “Justice League Dark.”

Interestingly, Constantine’s character has been a prominent fixture in the reported movie script, according to sources.

Isn't that Justice League Dark movie old news? I remember talks about Guillermo Del Toro working on a Justice League Dark script/movie years ago.

ETA: Just found this from November, Del Toro is no longer associated with the movie among other differences.

http://collider.com/justice-league-dark-movie-cast-directors/

I'd say that article about Matt Ryan is pure BS.

Edited by Morrigan2575

Finally caught up on Supergirl finale & the first 30 min of the Flash Finale. I have to say that as a winter finale I still think Arrow's was the strongest. Flash had the better Holiday Theme. And Supergirl had the best twist at the end with the whole Cat finding out (esp for a s1 winter finale). Overall all three were decent and fun.

I watch Gotham usually later and in marathon & I don't do Zombies - so no opinion on those. I'm still a season behind on AoS, but considering what has been revealed about Ward here, I'm not sure I need to jump on getting caught up on the show, since Ward was one of my preferred characters. I'll get around to it, but no urgency now :(

Lastly, back to Flarrowverse - I am beginning to think that Berlanti must have a secret love child somewhere or perhaps he is afraid of having impregnated someone and never knew?? The winter finales (& A408) of the Flarrowverse could have been episodes of Maury Povich Guess who's a Surprise Parent! Seriously three of his current shows had a surprise kid. Brothers & Sisters had 1 surprise kid & multiple surprise Daddy plots. Didn't Everwood also have a surprise baby. I'm beginning to think Berlanti & company are working out some Daddy/Parent issues via their shows. I know its a TV trope, but I'm sensing a Berlanti trend.

Edited by kismet
  • Love 4

Rofl. I think Greg would have to work very, very hard to have a secret love child anywhere with anyone.

I agree that Arrow had the strongest finale. It's holiday style and drama was on point for once.

I think Supergirl and Gotham might be at a tie. Supergirl was a great ep and I can't wait for its return to deal with Cat and Krypton drama but I think Gotham had better character moments, especially with the younger characters.

• Love 3

Totally agree about Greg having to work hard for that love child. Maybe its just an unfulfilled desire... Although there are a few different ways to contribute to being an unknown father. All I know is I eagerly await the secret live child plot coming to Blindspot in s2.

• Love 2

It would work -- she has amnesia and could have had a secret kid without being aware of it now. Who cares that no one noticed during the intensive medical exams?

Someone might have known about it but had to keep it a secret for national security purposes... I'm just saying its a rare Berlanti show that doesn't utilize secret kids.

Reverse Flash is coming back to Flash

As if Barry Allen didn’t have enough on his plate with villain Zoom wrecking havoc on Central City, now he’ll have another speedster to contend with in the new year: Reverse-Flash!

No, we’re not talking about Tom Cavanagh yellow-suiting it up once again. EW has learned exclusively that Matt Letscher will be returning to The Flash as Barry’s nemesis, Eobard Thawne, otherwise known as the Reverse-Flash.

Here’s what executive producer Todd Helbing, who penned the episode featuring Letscher’s return with Aaron Helbing, would reveal: “His impossible return to Central City puts a member of the S.T.A.R. Labs team in unexpected danger, forcing Barry to make a life-changing decision.”

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/12/23/flash-matt-letscher-reverse-flash-return

And yet if Caity stayed on Arrow, she would spend most of her time playing 2nd fiddle to everyone instead of getting the chance to star in a true ensemble show where her character can actually grow.

LoT looks so cool, I am so jealous for all the characters that get to leave Flash/Arrow behind to get a season of this.

IDK just because the current BC on Arrow is playing second fiddle doesn't mean Sara would've (out in the field) *shrugs* Actually the current BC doesn't even play second fiddle. She plays like the 4th. Plus Sara didn't play second fiddle in 2b so...

But I'm glad this new show is expanding Sara Lance as she deserves. Out of every Lance on the show, she deserves it the most considering her backstory and personality and general self is extremely complicated and rich.

I guess in the end, I would've been a little more okay if Oliver was sidelined for someone as skilled as Sara. Not some newbies who literally started fighting not 1 year ago. I'm just bitter that LoT gets the better character (in my eyes) and I'm stuck with LL whom I've never understood no matter how many metas I've read about her trying to understand that character.

Sue me. I want shows that I like to be filled with good characters *shrugs*

Edited by wonderwall
  • Love 6

Sara didn't play second fiddle in s2 but she did imbalance the show to the extent that Diggle and Felicity were put in the corner in most of 2B.  It would have continued that way if she was co-lead, or if Felicity became the love interest, it would have been a precarious balance unless Sara was recurring rather than a regular, and there would have been a lot more outcry for Oliver to ditch Felicity and go with the woman who is his equal.  It's not that way with Laurel because she is fourth fiddle but that's not fair to the history of the Black Canary either.

Even though it was rough for CL when Sara was killed, I do think she lucked out in the end.  From the trailers for LoT, she's definitely the female lead, and maybe even the co-lead, something she wouldn't have got if she had stayed on Arrow.

forcing Barry to make a life-changing decision.”

In a game-changing episode?

• Love 4

Sara didn't play second fiddle in s2 but she did imbalance the show to the extent that Diggle and Felicity were put in the corner in most of 2B.  It would have continued that way if she was co-lead, or if Felicity became the love interest, it would have been a precarious balance unless Sara was recurring rather than a regular, and there would have been a lot more outcry for Oliver to ditch Felicity and go with the woman who is his equal.  It's not that way with Laurel because she is fourth fiddle but that's not fair to the history of the Black Canary either.

Even though it was rough for CL when Sara was killed, I do think she lucked out in the end.  From the trailers for LoT, she's definitely the female lead, and maybe even the co-lead, something she wouldn't have got if she had stayed on Arrow.

I was sort of hoping the writers would've learned to balance Sara/Felicity/Diggle more in future seasons after s2... She did imbalance the show, but I feel like having her on the show would've been better than the other Lance considering Sara's story is rich and interesting and the other Lance's story... isn't. At least, not to me.

I could've seen them be a tight knit group and seen Sara have a genuine friendship with Felicity. I could've seen Sara give Felicity/Oliver her blessing (considering she didn't even think that she was right for Oliver) and had a thing with Nyssa anytime she came to Star City.

Sara was already integrated into the team in season 2, so the show wouldn't have had to spend the time to integrate the other Lance into the team as well as make her into a fighter (she could've easily still have played the lawyer role which imo is her best role).

All S2 needed was a bit more balance. I feel like they could've achieved that if they kept her on.

• Love 2

Caity Lotz looks SO BAD ASS T_T Why couldn't we keep HER??? Ugh this makes me so bitter that we're stuck with that other Lance yet so happy for CL

CW9Pl5LWkAAHv2r.jpg

My Number one reason for watching LOT is this beautiful Strong Badass!!

• Love 1

The promo seemed to focus on Sara, Rip, and Cold (with a side of Heatwave). I guess the network has decided who they think the big draws will be.

I know I'm going to really like them :)

How can you not fall for this?

tumblr_nzqb5u6GP11scuc5lo2_250.gif

lmao

• Love 5

Just think, if Iron Ray hadn't been such a bust that the network rejected his spin off (I don't care what they're saying now, I will never not believe that's how it went down), we wouldn't have this cool show to look forward to, Sara would still be dead, Cold would be limited to steaming up the screen with Barry only a few times a season, and Arthur Darvill would be doing wonderful and amazing things on the British stage that I would never get to see.

Thanks, Ray!

• Love 8

I'm not of the opinion there was ever a hawk show plan. I think the interview only meant that they didn't imagine using Hawkman as well and changed their vision. The CW would have never bought a hawk show.

And I'm also pretry sure that Ray will still have a substantial role in lot. Brandon does not come cheap.

• Love 2

I agree about the interview.  I think it was misunderstood and they were just talking about LoT and whether or not to use Hawkman. 

It's funny, since the promo I'm already seeing people hyping a pairing between Sara and Rip.  Add CanaryHunter to the long list of portmanteaus. 

Caity Lotz looks SO BAD ASS T_T Why couldn't we keep HER??? Ugh this makes me so bitter that we're stuck with that other Lance yet so happy for CL

CW9Pl5LWkAAHv2r.jpg

Hey, wait a minute! This is a promotional pic for LOT, isn't it? Well now, that's not exactly the WHITE Canary costume, is it?

• Love 2

I'm not of the opinion there was ever a hawk show plan. I think the interview only meant that they didn't imagine using Hawkman as well and changed their vision. The CW would have never bought a hawk show.

And I'm also pretry sure that Ray will still have a substantial role in lot. Brandon does not come cheap.

AK seemed like he meant they planned on a Hawk show before expanding it to LoT since there is no way a Hawk show could be as big as The Flash.

Hey, wait a minute! This is a promotional pic for LOT, isn't it? Well now, that's not exactly the WHITE Canary costume, is it?

From the BTS pictures I've seen for LoT, the characters are a lot less tied to their official costume than Arrow and Flash.  Lots of undercover costumes. 

• Love 1

That being said, there is a part of me that grows a little bigger each day that thinks they might actually make SL the real BLACK CANARY from the comics on LoT. And eliminate the other BC in a very heroic and non-resurrectable way on ARROW. Because the BLACK CANARY is legendary and therefore more likely to be on this Team of Superheroes. However, that is just me in my own little corner here where I have big dreams and out of the box thoughts, I know will never come true, but its the season for believing right?

Edited  - Deleted inaccurate text - because it is an official photo for LoT. YAY!

Edited by kismet
  • Love 4

WOW! Sara/CL looks incredible in that promo shot. I find it kind of amusing how she's in black and kind of looks like BC. Oooops!

To be honest, given the history of BC and the expectations on that character, Sara should have become the BC and moved over to Legends anyway so BC could be female lead and get proper focus. That way BC could pop in and out of Arrow and help out the team every now and then. Or if they still wanted/contracts demanded Laurel to be BC, they should have shipped her off to Legends instead, although then we wouldn't have CL and that would be a travesty.

The problem with having BC on the show with Arrow is that comic book fans expect her to be on the same level as Oliver and it just doesn't work on a show specifically about Arrow, especially with how poorly they've built Laurel as the Black Canary.

Edited by Angel12d
  • Love 5

I love these pics. Some guys are probably cat calling Sara.

Sara: "Hold my beer, this guy really wants to meet me"

tumblr_nzuwzdXYsu1sqimxwo4_540.jpg

tumblr_nzurcrYdPj1ut8gc1o4_540.jpg

I could get behind a Leonard and Sara friendship with or without benefits. Sara having a beer with the guys is also awesome. I kind of figured Sara was more of a guys girl and probably didn't have a lot of female friends. 

Then how did we not hear about it last year. They bring on Brandon to get an atom spinoff, which was obvious from the onset. Equally obvious that the CW wasn't buYing that. Right after came the announcements of Caity coming back for an unknown character in a spinoff. There was absolutely no mention of the Hawks in the media anywhere. Even after the spinoff was announced and planned did we find out there was going to be a girl who had never been live action before. We all assumed Hawkgirl but didn't really know. Media sources would have picked up on the Berlanti team trying to sell a Hawk people show to the CW. The Hawks didn't even appear in flash or arrow, their go to way to give characters their own shows.

• Love 4

They have never admitted they wanted an ATOM spinoff right? It's pretty obvious that Palmer tanked on Arrow so they revamped their game plan. I don't think they ever owned up to that for some reason. Sounds to me like they are pretending Hawk was the original plan. 

Maybe they don't want to hurt BR's feelings. Or they think people would be less welcoming to Atom on LOT if they admitted a lot of the Felicity/Ray choices were because they wanted Atom to be a Lead Character.

Probably after ATOM tanked they were looking for shows to put ATOM into. The Hawks and the ATOM have some kind of comic history but I don't know what it is since I never read them.

Atom_and_Hawkman_Vol_1_46.jpg

kubertcover18.jpg

Edited by tarotx