Type keyword(s) to search

The Great Canadian Baking Show - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Oh I hope you can get them somewhere. I just watched the second one, the one where you see in the trailer Alan's four-layer cake falling apart, and they all were laughing so hard they were crying and it was so contagious I was giggling out loud too with tears running down my cheeks. 😂

• LOL 1
18 minutes ago, shok said:

I just watched the second one, the one where you see in the trailer Alan's four-layer cake falling apart, and they all were laughing so hard they were crying and it was so contagious...

Dang, now I am going to have to move to Canada!

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

And we're off!

Good to see the judges and hosts back.  Seems like another nice group of people wiling to help each other and mutually supportive.

I think I will pass on the rollos de bolo.  Didn't look appealing to me at all.  And what a tough challenge for the first one!

Some cute ideas for the kawaii cakes, some had my mouth watering.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Good grief, those Rollos de Bollos looked like a nightmare to make - especially since the contestants didn't know how long to cook the batter for. Also, getting a consistent thickness would be really hard. I've tried to make simple jelly roll cakes in the past, and even those are difficult!

It's so pleasant and relaxing to watch a show where everyone is focusing on their tasks, and being kind and helping their fellow contestants when they have the time.

All the cakes looked adorable and delicious! Plus one of the contestants (the really young 21 year old gal who did the cute froggy cake) is from the Vancouver suburb where I grew up, so I have someone to root for! She seems very talented for someone so young!

• Love 5

I thought Rosemary had a worse day than Nigel  given her essentially raw knishes but I don’t see her lasting much longer anyhow. 

Glad to see Lauren putting her hair back and doing well! Also happy Chi and Kristi’s bakes are winning the judges over. 

• Love 3

I just realised that Kyla looks like my GP and now I can't unsee it. The two have very opposing opinions about sugar 😄

I disapprove of any challenge that makes bakers spoil good bread by 'painting' it with food colouring.

• Love 2

These judges have become my favorite Bake Off judges. There is no faffing about. They just get to it, giving detailed critique but also pointing out what was done well. And I love how they really dig in and take substantial bites of everything. 

I might be enjoying this more than GBBO this season. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, TVbitch said:

These judges have become my favorite Bake Off judges. There is no faffing about. They just get to it, giving detailed critique but also pointing out what was done well. And I love how they really dig in and take substantial bites of everything. 

I might be enjoying this more than GBBO this season. 

This is SO much better than the current season of GBBO.  Love the judges, the bakes are realistic and judges are great. The latest episode was really tight, the signatures were all wonderful and the judges had a hard time coming up with da bad comment.  I'm honestly not sure who will end up in the final at this point. Everyone seems to step up at different times!

• Like 1
  • Love 5
14 hours ago, Cetacean said:

This is SO much better than the current season of GBBO.  Love the judges, the bakes are realistic and judges are great. The latest episode was really tight, the signatures were all wonderful and the judges had a hard time coming up with da bad comment.  I'm honestly not sure who will end up in the final at this point. Everyone seems to step up at different times!

I agree. I was watching last night and thinking that there’s no front runners (maybe Chi, but that’s it). They’re all talented, and I enjoy watching all their bakes. I’m gutted when each one goes home. The hosts and the judges do their job with grace. This show contributes to bring me joy. 

• Love 5

Wow, the botanical cookies were all so gorgeous! And the illusion cakes so well done! So much more attractive than when they make hamburgers and sushi out of cake. I was thrilled for the young lady who did the squash and got great marks as she hasn't had a big moment in the spotlight yet.

This is a strong group. If we could just slip Noel in there next to Anna or Alan to bring a little bit of improv humor and quirk, it might be the perfect Bake Off! 

• Love 3

I love that Ann gets so  exited over Jomar (?) doing Filipino recipes.

The only thing thats missing for me on CBBO is a standout character, someone like Janusz, plus a Sandro for the craic (the casting for GBBO has been good these past two years), and, yes, someone with better comedic timing for presenting duties.

• Love 2

This was the first episode where many of them struggled. This was also the first episode of any BO where I just happened to be eating what they were making. Love my ice cream sandwiches! I keep it traditional though, classic soft cocoa cookie with intensely vanilla ice cream.  

Lauren is really stepping it up last two episodes. Good for her!

• Love 3

Wow, who knew that you can make homemade baklava dough?  This group is just extremely talented, there isn't a truly weak link in the chain at all.  There are only minor flaws, it must be hard to pick the person to go home.

• Love 3

That was a really good trio of challenges - I maybe could've done without the mango caviar, but it didn't bother me. The showstopper was half baking, haft crafting challenge, but I am glad that they didn't expect the baklava to be the structural element.

Baklava is one of my favourite desserts (preferably with hot lemon tea), but I hate that it is so rich that you can't (or shouldn't) have more than a couple (to keep Dr. Kayla happy)

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Aulty said:

The showstopper was half baking, haft crafting challenge, but I am glad that they didn't expect the baklava to be the structural element.

At first I thought that's what they wanted and I couldn't figure out for the life of me how they would make baklava support something!  Not a huge baklava fan but some of the combos did sound intriguing,

• Love 1

Gosh, this is an incredible group. I don't think I have ever teared up when they sent someone home before but the four of these women are just so talented and gosh darn nice! 

The judges are so positive and supportive that I would love to meet them in person and sit down to a slice of cake! What a world of difference from Prue and Paul on GBBO.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

Gosh, this is an incredible group. I don't think I have ever teared up when they sent someone home before but the four of these women are just so talented and gosh darn nice! 

The judges are so positive and supportive that I would love to meet them in person and sit down to a slice of cake! What a world of difference from Prue and Paul on GBBO.

I'm a cynical soul and I teared up too.  Their support for one another is very clear.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

Their support for one another is very clear.

I loved it when Kristy asked for help and Fi immediately dropped what she was doing and rushed to help even though her creation wasn't yet finished.  And I also loved when Alan asked Zoya if she wanted him to go away when things were tense and when she said "a little bit" he graciously stepped away.  What a nice, uplifting bunch of folks!

• Love 4

Please don't drag Bruno and Kayla into the opening bits.
Lovely little rainbow square on Bruno.
I wonder if those two google themselves and know that they are firm favourites with Bake Off watchers around the world now.

• Love 2

I just watched my recording of last night's episode.  How beautiful.  I wish they could have sent all four to the final.  My heart is sad for the person who left.

Honestly, this has been such a great season.  I don't think I've ever seen such a great group of bakers before.  

I loved the group hug at the end of the showstopper.  <3

Edited by SophiaD
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, SophiaD said:

I just watched my recording of last night's episode.  How beautiful.  I wish they could have sent all four to the final.  My heart is sad for the person who left.

Honestly, this has been such a great season.  I don't think I've ever seen such a great group of bakers before.  

I loved the group hug at the end of the showstopper.  <3

They are all soooooo happy for each other when judging is going well! Everyone cheering behind Lauren when she got good comments was so heartwarming. They were beaming for her, it wasn't just polite clapping to be a good sport.

• Love 3
On 11/13/2022 at 8:01 PM, Cetacean said:

That’s something I really appreciated about this episode — just how lovely Bruno and Kyla were to Kristi when she presented her showstopper. She was obviously upset with what went wrong and they were both so kind to her during their critique. Well done, judges.

• Love 4

A fourway finale would have been fantastic, but despite the gentle critiques, one of the showstoppers clearly didn't make the cut, so not cutting her wouldn't have been fair. 

Had the showstoppers all been successful, a fourway finale would have been easier to set up. 

• Love 2

I went into this finale with no clear favourite. All their bakes were amazing, and they should all be proud of what they created. While I was so happy for Lauren, I was simultaneously sad that it was ending. This show brings me so much joy. 

• Love 5

How lovely was the signature - a straight forward challenge, no sculpture, 3D or multiples. And the results? Beautiful, tasty without gimmicky themes.

Lovely trio of finalists, well deserved win for Lauren!

• Love 6
9 hours ago, SophiaD said:

What a magnificent season.  I'm glad I DVR'd the entire thing, so I can watch it again and again.  Such a great, heartwarming final.  

Congratulations, Lauren!  

I think it's the best season of the franchise, including the British version.  The contestants were so incredible to each other, no artifice at all 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, littlebennysmom said:

I think it's the best season of the franchise, including the British version.  The contestants were so incredible to each other, no artifice at all 

I absolutely agree.  I also think that Bruno and Kyla are really terrific judges, managing to work in genuinely complimentary comments, along with constructive criticism.  It's going to be hard to top this season.  

It's so sweet how happy Zoya and Chi were for Lauren, too.  I may have teared up just a bit.  

• Love 8

Loved the finale. The Technical bakes were all so gorgeous! Everyone did well. I was hoping Lauren was gonna sneak up on this season and take it, but the others were great, too! Exceptional season and great palate cleanser for the sub par GBBO. 

I will also be saving this season to watch again, once I forget who won. ...which with my memory, will probably be next week. 😂

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Tracked this series down on youtube.  Thoroughly enjoying it, as it brings back memories of what GBBO used to be like.  

ETA:  And with more laughter, while reading the closed captioning translation of what Bruno says.

Edited by AZChristian
  • Love 3

I totally forgot about this show until a week or so ago, and by then it was too late to watch live. So I've been watching on Gem, and just finished last night.  

What a lovely group of bakers. I don't think there was even 1 I didn't like, and hated seeing one leave each week 

Like some of you, I wondered if they'd go with 4 for the finale, as they were all so good. But I was still happy with the 3 finalists, and was thrilled that Lauren won.  She is such an amazing baker for such a young age.

I'm always  so amazed at the creative designs they come up with, but even more so the flavour combinations. 

I wish I'd been able to watch and post with all of you.  Hopefully next year.

Meanwhile, I can at least post about the Holiday Special,  which I'll be watching tonight.

Quick question, is GBBO Great British Bake Off.  If so, where are you all watching it.