Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E12: Ka hopu nui ʻana (The Round Up)

• Start Topic

Granted, Hawaii 5-0 doesn't always play by the rules. But, as a convicted felon, it will be interesting to see if Adam will carry a firearm since that is against Federal law. However, if the Governor restores his civil rights, it would be okay. Maybe they will issue him a 5-0 heavy duty slingshot? It will be interesting to see if Lenkov just skirts this issue or actually covers it. Seems like a long 3 weeks since we've had a new episode, looking forward to it!!!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GustheCat said:

Granted, Hawaii 5-0 doesn't always play by the rules. But, as a convicted felon, it will be interesting to see if Adam will carry a firearm since that is against Federal law. However, if the Governor restores his civil rights, it would be okay. Maybe they will issue him a 5-0 heavy duty slingshot? It will be interesting to see if Lenkov just skirts this issue or actually covers it. Seems like a long 3 weeks since we've had a new episode, looking forward to it!!!

Adam has already both held and used a firearm, primarily after McGarrett gave him 1, in at least 1 of the situations where, as Adam seems to like saying this season, "he's in the wrong place at the wrong time". I remember 1 of those being in the episode that involved the bank robbery. Steve started to go in after the perps, telling Junior  to stay put, outside, & Adam to watch him. The next thing Steve knows, Junior & Adam are walking with him; Junior has his gun drawn but Adam has no gun. So Steve lets Adam borrow his extra gun (from his ankle holster) & tells them there are 2, & only 2, reasons to actually use the weapons--basically in terms of self-protectionb/ the protection of others--instead of just carrying them.

And I think Adam may have at least carried in 1 other ep. But, because Ian Anthony Dale was still shooting the end of S1 of CBS's summer replacement, sort of sci-fi, series Salvation (which also is produced by H50's Peter Lenkov), when H50 shooting started (&, technically, he was a lead in Salvation but still only a recurring character in H50--this was before the whole cast change thing when DDK & Grace Park left, & 4 recurring characters, including Ian's Adam Noshimuri, were upgraded to regulars--so his first commitment was to finish Salvation), then start H50), Adam's character has only been in H50 since Ep 7 this season (about 5 weeks as this ep airs).

• Love 1

Steve has a line about "the balls on this guy" and I couldn't help but notice that from certain angles Eddie appears to be missing his back wheels. Perhaps this is standard issue for a police super-puppy (who has since been deputized into 5-0, have you no shame McGarrett?!) but I did wonder if Eddie consists of more than one dog with a female one standing in for the discretion shots.

We also see that 5-0 can deputize the National Guard which I thought was not legal under the Posse Comitatus act.

I liked that Tani went straight to McGarrett when the FBI tried to flip her. I also appreciated that Kamekona was not comic relief in this episode but was back to being a badass informant.

I know Junior is the new guy and that he's super formal and polite but still... no one calls Duke "Sgt. Lukela".

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Steve has a line about "the balls on this guy" and I couldn't help but notice that from certain angles Eddie appears to be missing his back wheels. Perhaps this is standard issue for a police super-puppy (who has since been deputized into 5-0, have you no shame McGarrett?!) but I did wonder if Eddie consists of more than one dog with a female one standing in for the discretion shots.

We also see that 5-0 can deputize the National Guard which I thought was not legal under the Posse Comitatus act.

I liked that Tani went straight to McGarrett when the FBI tried to flip her. I also appreciated that Kamekona was not comic relief in this episode but was back to being a badass informant.

I know Junior is the new guy and that he's super formal and polite but still... no one calls Duke "Sgt. Lukela".

I know. But, in his defense, Junior may be the youngest on the team (younger than Tani, even)--it seems, from the flashback we saw before the Christmas break, he may have enlisted in the Navy/gone to BUD/s training straight from high school (that's the vibe I got from that "Goodbye" scene that was played out on the laptop Junior was looking at recently, between him & a girl we don't know, that looks like Junior & the girl are close, probably in love, & they seem to be on their way to a high school prom. If you're the type of "eager to please" kid I think Junior is, it's hard to stop treating other adults like his elders & to start treating them like regular co-workers. Steve's already admonished Junior about calling him "Sir" or "Commander" once or twice (which I think he did because Steve's also a former SEAL &, if things had been different, Steve & Junior might've met with Steve as 1 of his BUD/s instructors, instead of them meeting because Junior heard of the team & thought perhaps someone with his military skills might be valuable to the team. Once you get used to doing something like that, calling someone by a title instead of a first name, it can be a hard habit to break.

• Love 3

I liked the way Tani handled her ex.  Just dump his ass over the railing!  Both her & Eddie have more than replaced Kono.  In fact, I think her character is more interesting than Kono.  

Jr, tho can never replace the sexy Chin - even tho I do like him.

Otherwise, it was more than ridiculous that all of a sudden they know where every syndicate criminal lives or hangs out.

• Love 2

I liked this episode for several reasons, but mainly because it provides the foundation for how Adam is now incorporated as a series regular.  I kept wondering how they were going to do that.  This makes sense (well as far as 5-0 stories make sense).  

• Love 2

What I could see happening for next season or beyond, renewal or not, is a "spin-off" show with Adam heading the organized crime prevention unit in Hawaii. That way if Steve, Danny and even Lou exit the series, he could keep going with some of the other regulars (if not all of them), and bring in other characters. And, the possible return of Kono and maybe even Chin, since he is in California with a 5-0 type group? At least that would give Lenkov some leverage on salaries or wages. I think Adam could carry a show, I like the way IAD plays him and he is very believable. Let's face it, crime on Hawaii is never going to disappear.

Last night's episode was fun, I think I counted either 17 or 18 kills. That is much higher than recent shows. And, I kept telling the TV "the mastermind here is the computer hacker guy from early in the season"! That is why the feeds were cut when Jerry was monitoring the detention facility. And, I also wonder why the large group of Japanese hired guns didn't indiscriminately start shooting the thugs in the cyclone fence compounds, as they were all "competition" for their boss?  

• Love 2

Getting Lanny Joon to play a bad guy was an interesting choice, considering how much he looks like Daniel Dae Kim.

joon.JPG.2662c216ba00c5af51058b457a277f57.JPG

I think DDK is slightly better looking, but I also think if they'd just replaced DDK with Joon to play Chin Ho this season, a decent percentage of the audience wouldn't have noticed.

As mad as I was about the circumstances of DDK and Park leaving the show, though, I am really liking Tani and Junior. I like them together and think the slow way the writers are building that relationship is working, but I also like them separately. And I love the father/daughter vibe between Grover and Tani; he always gives her these worried dad looks, like when she went off alone to bring her old boyfriend in and later when she was looking at his corpse and feeling guilty about it. A lot of nice subtle work by everyone in a show that's generally not known for subtlety. If O'Loughlin and Caan do decide to bail after this season, I think with this new cast, the show could still go on.

Eddie giving Grover the stinkeye for riding shotgun was the best, especially when he gave the restrained little "woof!" at the end.

Edited by fishcakes
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ganesh said:

So, the FBI has a fairly credible concern regarding a conflict of interest that Five 0 might have with a former high ranking yakuza official and then gets blown up? Ok, Steve. 

But Adam was never Yakuza.  His father was head, but he told Adam he didn’t want him involved.  He took some of the businesses and legitimized them, but I don’t think you can consider that being part of the criminal family.

Edited by roamyn
  • Love 2

I kind of dig the new leader of the Yakuza.  Thank you for posting the comparison photo above.  He really resembles Daniel Dae Kim a great deal, but I also caught a bit of Mark Dacascos too.  That actor looks like Chin Ho Kelly and Wo Fat had a love child.  (Now there's an mpreg plot bunny for 'ya!)

Overall, not a bad episode.  I was wondering if the bad guy would turn out to be the bald FBI guy.  I thought both the rookies comported themselves quite nicely.  No Danno?  His presence was sorely missed, he would have had quite a bit to say about all the trampled rules and conventions, as well as mad praise for Eddie.

• Love 3
On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:37 PM, GustheCat said:

It will be interesting to see if Lenkov just skirts this issue or actually covers it.

I'm guessing they'll skirt around the issue.  Just as long as your morals lie in a gray area you can pretty much be a member of 5-0.  I can only imagine the list is long for those who would actually like to be approached for a job with them.

5 hours ago, fishcakes said:

I think DDK is slightly better looking, but I also think if they'd just replaced DDK with Joon to play Chin Ho this season, a decent percentage of the audience wouldn't have noticed.

Sad, but true in regards to him walking on set at the beginning of season 8 in Chin Ho's place.

• Love 2

Really it was such a ridiculous episode. And really I give it 6/10. And that thought the bald FBI guy would be the bad guy. And really missed Danny indeed. 

But Five 0 the rule do not apply to them. And that really they ride roughshod over anybody even the feds.

They make the feds look like boy scouts.

Wonder if they are in the transferring the Five 0 and a possible Adam spin off is in the works eh?

• Love 1
21 hours ago, dwmarch said:

Yeah, that was fun.  When the FBI guy said that he had been given "broad discretion", I laughed -- no way he would have been able to run roughshod over the laws, even if he didn't blow up real good!

15 hours ago, roamyn said:

In fact, I think her character is more interesting than Kono. 

From the shallow end of the pool, she's a LOT sexier than Kono!

• Love 2
18 hours ago, roamyn said:

But Adam was never Yakuza.  His father was head, but he told Adam he didn’t want him involved.  He took some of the businesses and legitimized them, but I don’t think you can consider that being part of the criminal family.

14 hours ago, Passepartout said:

But Five 0 the rule do not apply to them. And that really they ride roughshod over anybody even the feds.

Whether he was or not isn't really relevant. The point was that the FBI had a legitimate reason to question him, but of course, this show, they have to be shown as 'the bad guys.' Not to mention that Adam has a magical ability to track down known yakuza Lts. 

I'd like for once that federal agents be shown as competent, actual law enforcement.

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 3

I like how Five 0 just jails a bunch of crime bosses on zero charges resulting in their summary murder too. I know the show plays fast and loose, but I'd really like to see some actual consequences at some point. 

The way it looks to a neutral outsider (within the show universe) - federal agent threatens Steve's friend; family gets blown up. In the ensuing 'investigation' into the incident, Steve gets to command the national guard and turn the island into a police state, people are arrested without cause, and 10 of the top alleged criminal bosses end up with bullets in their head.

And then his friend with former yakuza ties and zero law enforcement experience gets the legal authority to pursue whatever vendettas he had during his former criminal life. All in all, a good day for Five 0. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, ganesh said:

Whether he was or not isn't really relevant. The point was that the FBI had a legitimate reason to question him, but of course, this show, they have to be shown as 'the bad guys.' Not to mention that Adam has a magical ability to track down known yakuza Lts. 

I'd like for once that federal agents be shown as competent, actual law enforcement.

Eh, H50 isn’t the only show to use the Feds as incompetent.  Going back to the 70s, Streets of SF, Barretta, Rockford Files, Starsky & Hutch.  And the trope continued....  Hell, even The X-Files had incompetent agents.

• Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 6:11 PM, roamyn said:

But Adam was never Yakuza.  His father was head, but he told Adam he didn’t want him involved. He took some of the businesses and legitimized them, but I don’t think you can consider that being part of the criminal family.

Right. Adam was the "good son". His father, Hiro, was head of the Yakuza in Hawaii until Wo Fat apparently kidnaped him, killed him, & mailed the remains back to Adam,  literally piece-by-piece... some in very small boxes.

Hiro had another son, Michael. Michael was the "bad" son; when the character was introduced, he was flying back to Honolulu after having served a long prison sentence in California--Adam & Kono met him at the airport. Michael took over the Yakuza after Hiro died. Michael also wasn't thrilled to know his brother, Adam, was seriously dating a cop & a member of Five-0, to boot. He was afraid Kono being a cop would cause problems for him & the Yakuza doing their criminal gang/mafia-type thing. 

But he took advantage of this, or at least he tried to. He snuck into Adam & Kono's bedroom 1 night while they were asleep & stole her gun from where it was locked in the bedside table; then he went out & used it to kill a couple of guys he needed gone (using gloves, or something, of course so his fingerprints weren't on the gun, only Kono's prints were ); then he snuck back into Adam & Kono's room & put her gun back as if it had never been gone. When the bodies finally turned up, Kono would be held responsible, & hopefully sent to prison for the deaths, since the bullets were from her gun. The bodies eventually showed up, with Kono's bullets in them. And with the team's help, she wasn't held responsible for the deaths.

Michael did not like this at all. He broke into this safe house where Adam & Kono went to hide from the Yakuza in case anybody wanted revenge on Kono for the deaths &/or for being a cop involved with Adam/the Noshimuri family. He started to attack Kono; Adam & Five-0 showed up during the battle, to help her out. Adam eventually got ahold of a gun & he killed Michael, clearly in self-defense/defense of Kono Five-0 said, before Michael could kill her.

But now they had another problem. Because Adam killed Michael, the Yakuza would now be out to get both of them; Steve's mom booked them (& her, she was leaving too) on a really decrepit Chinese boat. Once they got to Asia, Doris left them & they went around battling various Yakuza factions, then they got separated after awhile; eventually finding their way back together & back home around midseason of S3, when Grace Park finally delivered the bundle of joy she was really expecting which necessitated Kono & Adam's separate storylines since they chose not to make Kono pregnant too.

• Love 1

No, Adam was Yakuza. They downplay that now and try to make him seem like he was always a reluctant player, but he was definitely a criminal. When his father Hiro was alive, Hiro was the head of the crime family and Adam ran the legitimate businesses (although this doesn't exactly mean he wasn't part of the criminal enterprise since the legitimate businesses are generally just a front for the criminal side). After Hiro was killed, Adam became the head of the crime family, and sent his men to kill Wo Fat to avenge his father's death. This was back in season 2, and Adam was clearly okay with the criminal aspect of the business. His brother Michael was still in prison and didn't show up until season 3, and Michael never took over the family business. Adam and Kono had been revealed as a couple at this point, so the writers had to rehab Adam and retcon it that he never wanted to run the business. So this is where we find out that Adam was trying to buy his way out of the Yakuza by turning over the assets to Sato, another Yakuza boss located in Japan. To prevent that, Michael was acting on his own, taking out the family enemies, and attempted to frame Kono for murder, in what looked like an attempt to set up/stage a coup on Adam. Adam killed him in self-defense before Michael could take over, but that's not why Kono and Adam had to go on the run from the Yakuza. Sato didn't care about Michael, who was just a low-level nobody; he was after Adam because Gabriel had stolen the Noshimuri assets before they could be transferred to Sato. This actually made no sense -- you'd think Sato would want to kill Gabriel -- but a season-long story arc where Gabriel is on the run would be of interest to exactly no one.

The show is trying to pretend now that Adam was forced into the business and the whole time he was trying to get out of it, but that's not the way it originally played.

• Love 2
59 minutes ago, fishcakes said:

No, Adam was Yakuza. They downplay that now and try to make him seem like he was always a reluctant player, but he was definitely a criminal. When his father Hiro was alive, Hiro was the head of the crime family and Adam ran the legitimate businesses (although this doesn't exactly mean he wasn't part of the criminal enterprise since the legitimate businesses are generally just a front for the criminal side). After Hiro was killed, Adam became the head of the crime family, and sent his men to kill Wo Fat to avenge his father's death. This was back in season 2, and Adam was clearly okay with the criminal aspect of the business. His brother Michael was still in prison and didn't show up until season 3, and Michael never took over the family business. Adam and Kono had been revealed as a couple at this point, so the writers had to rehab Adam and retcon it that he never wanted to run the business. So this is where we find out that Adam was trying to buy his way out of the Yakuza by turning over the assets to Sato, another Yakuza boss located in Japan. To prevent that, Michael was acting on his own, taking out the family enemies, and attempted to frame Kono for murder, in what looked like an attempt to set up/stage a coup on Adam. Adam killed him in self-defense before Michael could take over, but that's not why Kono and Adam had to go on the run from the Yakuza. Sato didn't care about Michael, who was just a low-level nobody; he was after Adam because Gabriel had stolen the Noshimuri assets before they could be transferred to Sato. This actually made no sense -- you'd think Sato would want to kill Gabriel -- but a season-long story arc where Gabriel is on the run would be of interest to exactly no one.

The show is trying to pretend now that Adam was forced into the business and the whole time he was trying to get out of it, but that's not the way it originally played.

Ah-ha. Thanks for straightening that whole Noshimuri Yakuza thing out for me. It does get a bit complicated, & I always saw it as I wrote it--Adam was the "good" son & Michael the "bad".

And it really surprised me when they had Adam & Kono fall in love--but I totally get the "good girl/bad boy" (& vice-versa) trope. I figured it was gonna be Kono & Charlie Fong together, the way they wrote that ep where Charlie says they've met somewhere before the crime lab on a case, but Kono doesn't remember. Then Brian Yang got to be a busy film/documentary producer & that was almost the last we saw of Charlie Fong.

• Love 1

No, Adam was Yakuza. They downplay that now and try to make him seem like he was always a reluctant player, but he was definitely a criminal.

I remember a scene where Adam, with 2 Yakuza thugs, had their guns drawn, can't remember if it was on Steve or someone else? Hardly the thing you would expect from a "legitimate" businessman. Fishcakes' recall of the story arc with Michael (Adam's brother) and Gabriel is accurate. The episode where Gabriel manages to get the money (150 million or something) from Adam was right after the wedding. Gabriel shows up at their door with a box (for a Yakuza member Adam didn't seem very wise about security) and then uses a Taser on Adam and Kono. He gets some henchmen over and they start pulling out Kono's teeth until Adam agrees to go to the bank with Gabriel and transfer all the money to some overseas account. I'm not a banking expert, but, I'm pretty sure such a thing could NOT happen, or come close to happening, in real life.

• Love 1

Hiro specifically said  - the first time we’ve meet Adam - that he (Adam) should not make his father’s business his own.  To me, that means Adam is and never has been Yakuza.

Yes, he was the nominal head of the business right aft Hiro left w/Joe, but extricating your family from that isn’t easy.  It also doesn’t mean he didn’t agree w/the attorney’s suggestion of using henchmen to take out WoFat.  And it was the attorney, who did the killing of WoFat’s CIA handler.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ganesh said:

I would love an episode from a third person pov outside of Five 0. 

Would you call the ep(s) which were narrated by the recurring PI Harry, sounding like he's a gumshoe straight out of the 1940's maybe, third person POV? If not the whole ep(s), at least the narrated parts did--I think--fit the third person POV. And what about the narrative parts by Aisha Tyler as the Oprah-esque talk show host, Savannah Walker, following the team around with the Governor's permission?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I remember a scene where Adam, with 2 Yakuza thugs, had their guns drawn, can't remember if it was on Steve or someone else? Hardly the thing you would expect from a "legitimate" businessman. Fishcakes' recall of the story arc with Michael (Adam's brother) and Gabriel is accurate. The episode where Gabriel manages to get the money (150 million or something) from Adam was right after the wedding. Gabriel shows up at their door with a box (for a Yakuza member Adam didn't seem very wise about security) and then uses a Taser on Adam and Kono. He gets some henchmen over and they start pulling out Kono's teeth until Adam agrees to go to the bank with Gabriel and transfer all the money to some overseas account. I'm not a banking expert, but, I'm pretty sure such a thing could NOT happen, or come close to happening, in real life. 

As I remember, Gabriel told Adam to just give him the access codes to the account(s) & he'd get the money himself (& I think the henchmen were going to stay behind & kill Adam & Kono, privately). Adam told Gabriel he couldn't do that; the account(s) had some sort of voice-activation system tied to Adam's voice & (at least) he had to be there to initiate the different steps of the transfer. That's at least partly how Adam ended up bleeding badly on the floor of the bank branch in that ep. Kono escaped from the henchmen at their house (either they died or escaped) & she ended up drawing her weapon on Gabriel, to try to end the situation as quietly as possible. Then, as I remember, Gabriel shot Adam & ran off, evading capture.

• Love 1

Why would the FBI be investigating a local gang war? This should be something that the 5-O task force was created for, yet they seem clueless as to what has been going on for the last few months. The FBI investigates interstate or federal crimes. The only reason the governor would need to call the FBI in would be if the local authorities were corrupt or incompetent.

You would think that an FBI agent picked to head up a task force might have made a few enemies on his way up. So does McGarrett examine the agent’s past cases to see if someone might be holding a grudge? Nah that would be too easy. Instead he puts all his resources into calling in the National Guard to round up over a hundred gang members despite there being zero evidence that they had anything to do with the bombing. The least he could do is narrow the investigation to the gangs that have access to magical bombs that leave no residue behind and are dumb enough to use them on an FBI agent instead of the rival gangs they are at war with. But then again I guess that would leave nobody to stick inside the ludicrous temporary jail that he has built for the occasion.

I also liked how the gangs are locked in this vicious war and yet the leaders are sitting at home by themselves with no guards.

So it ends up that the gangs had nothing to do with the bombing and McGarrett has wasted all this time and money, and has gotten a patrol officer and the officers guarding the prisoners killed over nothing at all. On second thought, I guess I can see why the governor decided to call in the FBI after all.

• Love 2
On 1/6/2018 at 2:16 PM, fishcakes said:

Getting Lanny Joon to play a bad guy was an interesting choice, considering how much he looks like Daniel Dae Kim.

joon.JPG.2662c216ba00c5af51058b457a277f57.JPG

As mad as I was about the circumstances of DDK and Park leaving the show, though, I am really liking Tani and Junior. I like them together and think the slow way the writers are building that relationship is working, but I also like them separately. And I love the father/daughter vibe between Grover and Tani; he always gives her these worried dad looks, like when she went off alone to bring her old boyfriend in and later when she was looking at his corpse and feeling guilty about it. A lot of nice subtle work by everyone in a show that's generally not known for subtlety. If O'Loughlin and Caan do decide to bail after this season, I think with this new cast, the show could still go on.

Eddie giving Grover the stinkeye for riding shotgun was the best, especially when he gave the restrained little "woof!" at the end.

I watched that scene way too many times to admit! It was easily the best part of the episode, hands down.

"I thought I was your Uncle Lou?"

• Love 2

As I remember, Gabriel told Adam to just give him the access codes to the account(s) & he'd get the money himself (& I think the henchmen were going to stay behind & kill Adam & Kono, privately). Adam told Gabriel he couldn't do that; the account(s) had some sort of voice-activation system tied to Adam's voice & (at least) he had to be there to initiate the different steps of the transfer. That's at least partly how Adam ended up bleeding badly on the floor of the bank branch in that ep. Kono escaped from the henchmen at their house (either they died or escaped) & she ended up drawing her weapon on Gabriel, to try to end the situation as quietly as possible. Then, as I remember, Gabriel shot Adam & ran off, evading capture.

I'll have to watch that again, I know that Adam did tell Gabriel he would have to go with him to do the transfer due to some safety net with being there in person.  Since Adam didn't request to speak to Kono prior to the transfer, you wonder why the henchmen didn't kill her as soon as Gabriel/Adam left for the bank? Anyway, Kono was able to tilt her chair towards the table where the scalpel was left, grab it and cut through her bonds even though she only had a few seconds before the guy with the white mask showed up. She then stuck the scalpel through his neck, managing to kill him instantly (not sure how that works medially but it doesn't pay to question these things too closely). This was a particularly gruesome show, I've never checked to see if it is the same writer that has the "bloodbath" scripts?

And, from Rambler's comment above, I forgot to add the officers guarding the round-up gang members into the body count, so it was in the 20's, easily. Not sure what the record would be, if anybody has an idea, please share. I would also think McGarrett has taken out at least a 100 people, you kind of wonder what that would do to someone's psychological well-being at some point?

• Love 1
On Sunday, January 07, 2018 at 8:48 PM, Passepartout said:

Yeah a little off topic but it shows Criminal Minds to have decent competent feds as the FBI is the focus on the show.

All feds, unless the show is about feds are TV incompetents. I  truly laugh at the Navy investigators in New Orleans goings-on about my city in their promos.

• Love 1
(edited)
13 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I'll have to watch that again, I know that Adam did tell Gabriel he would have to go with him to do the transfer due to some safety net with being there in person.  Since Adam didn't request to speak to Kono prior to the transfer, you wonder why the henchmen didn't kill her as soon as Gabriel/Adam left for the bank? Anyway, Kono was able to tilt her chair towards the table where the scalpel was left, grab it and cut through her bonds even though she only had a few seconds before the guy with the white mask showed up. She then stuck the scalpel through his neck, managing to kill him instantly (not sure how that works medially but it doesn't pay to question these things too closely). This was a particularly gruesome show, I've never checked to see if it is the same writer that has the "bloodbath" scripts?

And, from Rambler's comment above, I forgot to add the officers guarding the round-up gang members into the body count, so it was in the 20's, easily. Not sure what the record would be, if anybody has an idea, please share. I would also think McGarrett has taken out at least a 100 people, you kind of wonder what that would do to someone's psychological well-being at some point?

I'm assuming you mean 100 people since Five-0 started? Don't forget, they're in their eighth year now; I think the body count would have to be over 100, given what we've seen, in regards to shootouts, etc., in these last 8 (7 1/2) seasons; though I think there hasn't been a great deal of "collateral damage" inflicted by the team (when innocent bystanders are injured, or unnecessary/unintended property damage occurs in a shootout, as somewhere other than the intended target).

Then, on top of that, you have to remember that Steve (& now Junior) was a SEAL before joining Five-0; I think that would alter both their personal body counts, depending on the types of special ops missions & how many there were. We know (I think we do, anyway) Junior was only in the SEALS for about a year before ending up on McGarrett's doorstep, wanting to add his military/SEALs experience to their midst. But, according to the late Governor Jameson's recitation of Steve's Naval background, Steve was in the SEALs for 5 years, Naval Intelligence for 6 years (or vice-versa; I keep forgetting). My point is, the 11 years Steve was in the SEALs & Naval Intelligence (or at least the former) would've likely added way more to his overall body count.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add a missing parenthesis.
  • Love 1

5-0 always dropped many bodies on the show HPD officers must have the highest military and police casualty rates in the world. What I never noticed before was the limited blood spray shown to signify hits 

• Love 1
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 5:04 AM, Rambler said:

The only reason the governor would need to call the FBI in would be if the local authorities were corrupt or incompetent.

So it ends up that the gangs had nothing to do with the bombing and McGarrett has wasted all this time and money, and has gotten a patrol officer and the officers guarding the prisoners killed over nothing at all. On second thought, I guess I can see why the governor decided to call in the FBI after all.

You answered your own question!  LOL

• Love 2

Even though Jerry and everyone acted like they did a lot of digging to find the baddies, it didn't take long. But what do you expect in an hour. Was nice that Kamekona was a help. I am surprised that the National Guard wasn't kept on to guard the stockade. When the hooded gang came in and started shooting the HPD guard, I figured they were freeing everyone. Then instead of shooting everyone and they pulled the heads of the groups out, I figured that H50 or someone would come and save them.

Did like Tani tackling ex bf Damien Batista over the railing into the pool. But did feel bad when she stood looking at his dead body at the stockade. Lou does seem to play the Uncle good with her. Also did like Eddie woofing at him in the truck. It was nice to see Junior standing by the dead officer. It should show that someone new at-least has doubts and worries. But if this happens again, lets not see Junior ok with it to quickly.  I to think junior should atleast call Duke, Sgt. Lukela. Just because Steve don't want to be called Sir, or Commander, it is still hard for someone who is taught to call adults, Mr this or Mrs. that, or by rank, (I know), to just in a couple weeks change to calling first names. I'm in my 50's and I still call adults older then me, Mr. and Mrs.

I can see that the FBI wanted to interview Adam, but with all the baddies that H50 rounded up, I would think that the FBI would be interested in that too. I did think that Agent Colin McNeal was dirty. But Agent Fischer(actor) has played baddies too in other series. Was worried about his family when we saw them together in the house.

Danny was missed. But they have stopped, unless I missed it, of saying what he is doing when he isn't there. it is just a throw away line, but it helps with the continuity. But if he's on the island, he would at least have called HQ to see if he was needed when he heard the news. Either of the FBI Agent shooting, or of the mass baddie arrests/shootings.

It can't be Wo- Fat behind it. But the computer genius, Aaron Wright (Joey Lawrence) is a possibility. But not sure he is worried about the other gangs on the island.

It will be interesting to see how Adam does with his special task force. And as posted above, Kono and Chin could come back and be part of it in the future.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sorry... I was trying to see if I could fix an error I just found, which of course is bugging me now; but when I tried to, it reposted the post as a quote (granted, including letting me fix the error), which I didn't want. So just ignore this space now. Thanks.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To remove the original post that was here before the explanation.
  • Love 1
On 1/6/2018 at 5:16 PM, fishcakes said:

I rewatched it three times!!

I really had a hard time with them killing the little girl. I think i've said before - I watch a lot of crime shows - I even loved 24. And I still watch NCIS:LA! So gore, etc., doesn't normally bother me. or a high death count. Plus - since H50 kills an average of 15 people every ep.... But I felt the daughter (and even the wife) were too far. Now, would a band of high end terrorists kill a fed's whole family to send a message? Absolutely. But they didn't have to do it here. The show could have killed the agent and left the family and the impact would have been just as real. So by killing the daughter, are they saying that's what compelled Steve to round up all the baddies on the island? That he wouldn't have reacted that way if it was just the agent? I felt like they did it just for the shock value. I don't know. maybe I'm being too sensitive. That burnt bunny is going to haunt my dreams...

ETA: just found my previous comment about not being bothered by gore - which - i am realizing is clearly no longer true since I have tried to use it as a disclaimer twice in the past two weeks. <facepalm> Anyway, it wasn't here I said it, but in Major Crimes. I'm off now to apparently rethink my tv choices...

Needed to just get this off my chest first. I watch a ton of tv. A ton of crime shows. 75% of the books I read are serial killer/cop/mystery/thriller books. Gore doesn't usually bother me. I watched every second of Jack Bauer, for gosh sakes! But this ep - I don't know. It turned my stomach. I guess when I watch 24, I expect Jack to gut someone. On MC, not so much. I expected the stepbrother to die. But did he have to kill the doctor? (I absolutely realize that is a ridic Q re: a fictional show re: a relentless serial killer.) IMO, they just killed the doctor for the extra shock value. "Oh that Philip! He's a horrible one!"  His bloody hand comes around the neck of the brother as he subdues him - just ick.

Edited by betsyboo
adding my comment from another thread