Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

I had never read that post. Thanks for the link.

Honestly I'm not for censoring any question. But keep it simple and don't lead with yourself. "Do you think there is any possibility that Dean could be bisexual?" Done. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Oh I think I’d rather just meet the other two and avoid meeting Ackles. That way I won’t have to worry about mentioning I’m bi-sexual and having him tell me not to “ruin it for everyone else” by mentioning it.

According to a report I read on Tumblr, from the girl it happened too, she said Jensen did not say that to her.  He said it to the crowd that started boo her. 

From my understanding, Jensen didn't shut her down, the audience did.  When she started off as saying "Im bi" the audience started booing before Jensen started speaking. 

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

According to a report I read on Tumblr, from the girl it happened too, she said Jensen did not say that to her.  He said it to the crowd that started boo her. 

I think that's in the link I posted above

• Love 4

The audience also boos and groans at the first hint of prank questions. Maybe they are all stupid-phobic. At TorCon last year, a rude person shouted out Destiel comments during J2s panel and they were roundly booed and derided, and Jensen had nothing to do with it.

Too many fans are looking for that 'gotcha' moment, or to be the one who finally gets the answer they want.

And if Jensen, or any of them, were ever short with a fan, well I wouldn't judge them endlessly and forever for it. Not when they continually show themselves to be a good, kind person in word and in deed. Anyone can have a bad day, or a bad moment, or even a visceral reaction to something that none of us have any insight into. In any case, I don't think Jensen was rude in this instance, but even if I did - slamming him for it years later is not fair.  

• Love 9

As someone who has been to several creation cons, I can say despite screening unwanted questions still get through.  They tell you flat out not to ask for birthday wishes, or selfies. 

I was at SeaCon this weekend and fans asked for both. 

I was going to ask Rachel a question and the person before me asked the question I wanted to ask.  No one asked me if I had an alternate question or screened my 2nd one. 

So to say the question was "approved" doesn't mean anything.

• Love 6
11 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

The audience also boos and groans at the first hint of prank questions. Maybe they are all stupid-phobic. At TorCon last year, a rude person shouted out Destiel comments during J2s panel and they were roundly booed and derided, and Jensen had nothing to do with it.

Too many fans are looking for that 'gotcha' moment, or to be the one who finally gets the answer they want.

And if Jensen, or any of them, were ever short with a fan, well I wouldn't judge them endlessly and forever for it. Not when they continually show themselves to be a good, kind person in word and in deed. Anyone can have a bad day, or a bad moment, or even a visceral reaction to something that none of us have any insight into. In any case, I don't think Jensen was rude in this instance, but even if I did - slamming him for it years later is not fair.  

I agree. I don't understand how fans have free range to be assholes while the actors get ripped apart for daring to be annoyed by it. As @MysteryGuest stated after hearing that some fans go so far as to believe that Danneel is his beard it would be completely understandable if Jensen's patience with these types of questions wear thin.

• Love 7

I do not understand why people are talking as though the fact J2 tinhatters exist is relevant to this discussion.  A fan believing in bi-sexual Dean, or in this case personally identifying as bisexual, is entirely different to being someone who believes Ackles is secretly married to Jared and bearding.

Both the assumption “a fan is bisexual = they must ship J2 and bash their wives” and further use of that assumption as some sort of justification for Ackles’ behaviour is frankly insulting. 

Im going to bow out of this conversation here rather than make any further posts on this topic. 

Edited by Wayward Son
Bash not ship the wives
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I have no idea where this link is coming from. A fan believing in bi-sexual Dean, or in that case identifying as bisexual, is entirely different to being someone who believes Ackles is secretly married to Jared and bearding.

You must not have read it. It's obvious that the post is a reblog from the girl that asked the question at the con.

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I have no idea where this link is coming from. A fan believing in bi-sexual Dean, or in this case personally identifying as bisexual, is entirely different to being someone who believes Ackles is secretly married to Jared and bearding.

Both the assumption “a fan is bisexual = they must ship J2 and bash their wives” and further use of that assumption as some sort of justification for Ackles’ behaviour is frankly insulting. 

I wasn't specifically linking the two, and I agree that they are not the same.  My point was just that after having been asked questions about Dean's sexuality repeatedly, and also seeing what's out there on social media regarding the actors' personal sexual preferences, I can sympathize with any actor, or audience member, who might grow tired of the same questions.  And if you're a fan of the actor, and you've seen how they've been ripped to shreds and accused of being homophobic over the slightest perceived insult, rather than by the actor's actual words and deeds, it gets a bit frustrating.  I think that the entire cast has gone out of their way to be inclusive to everyone. Jensen was literally brought to tears by the story of a young transexual man and what he went through to become the person he was meant to be, and how much the character of Dean meant to him.  There was no derision there, just compassion and caring.  

• Love 8
1 minute ago, MysteryGuest said:

I wasn't specifically linking the two, and I agree that they are not the same.  My point was just that after having been asked questions about Dean's sexuality repeatedly, and also seeing what's out there on social media regarding the actors' personal sexual preferences, I can sympathize with any actor, or audience member, who might grow tired of the same questions.  And if you're a fan of the actor, and you've seen how they've been ripped to shreds and accused of being homophobic over the slightest perceived insult, rather than by the actor's actual words and deeds, it gets a bit frustrating.  I think that the entire cast has gone out of their way to be inclusive to everyone. Jensen was literally brought to tears by the story of a young transexual man and what he went through to become the person he was meant to be, and how much the character of Dean meant to him.  There was no derision there, just compassion and caring.  

You said it better than I attempted to. I agree.

• Love 4
27 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I don't recall anyone saying this. There's been discussion of whether Jensen is homophobic and discussion on the absurdity of the belief that J2 are a thing and the wives are beards. No one said that they were one and the same. Also, there's no need to justify Jensen's behavior IMO because he has a right to be annoyed. I would say the same of Jared or Collins if the fans pushed them to that point.

• Love 6

On a more general note re con questions rather than the specific incident being discussed (I said I was done with that particular discussion and  I meant it) 

IMO unless a question is truly out of line (such as intimate details about their sex lives or other real life stuff) fans should be allowed to ask whatever questions they want. The actors are being paid a ridiculous amount of money to be there, the fans have paid a ridiculous amount of money to be there and ask questions; if fans want to ask the same question a hundred times be it about Dean’s sexuality, what’s their favourite season, what’s their favourite episode, whats storyline do they wish had gone on longer etc then they should be allowed to do it. Being bored of the same old questions isn’t an excuse for being rude. They’re there to do a job, and being paid quite handsomely to it, then they should just do it! 

• Love 2

I think things are being conflated erroneously.

The person that actually asked the question and was at the con provided a detailed update about that incident. For me, that clarifies that Jensen wasn't intending to be hurtful to her and that much of the confusion was because of how the fans reacted.  IMO, Jensen reacted to the hostility in the crowd. Could he have chosen his words better? Definitely.  Should this be the Scarlett Letter he must wear for the rest of his life in the public eye and have it held against him until he is no longer alive?  No.

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

IMO unless a question is truly out of line (such as intimate details about their sex lives or other real life stuff) fans should be allowed to ask whatever questions they want.

I disagree. No one should have carte blanche to ask whatever they want. I've never been to a con but from the comments that I've seen here there are guidelines regarding questions and some fans seem to gleefully jump across the ones that have been set.  For the record I've also been annoyed by the fans that have slyly asked Jared about his "size" due to the brand of underwear that he prefers. I have yet to see them slammed for such a grossly personal question. You ( general you) don't get a pass because the actors shouldn't have to pander to rudeness just because they purchased a ticket. And yes there have been fans that have acted irritated with Jensen for daring not to agree with their viewpoint. Agree to disagree because miles reaallly vary here.

Edited by DeeDee79
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, DeeDee79 said:

I disagree. No one should have carte blanche to ask whatever they want. I've never been to a con but from the comments that I've seen here there are guidelines regarding questions and some fans seem to gleefully jump across the ones that have been set.  For the record I've also been annoyed by the fans that have slyly asked Jared about his "size" due to the brand of underwear that he prefers. You ( general you) don't get a pass because the actors shouldn't have to pander to rudeness just because they purchased a ticket. And yes there have been fans that have acted irritated with Jensen for daring not to agree with their viewpoint. Agree to disagree because miles reaallly vary here.

For what it’s worth I’d consider the bit in bold to be over the line. As I said, anything personal to their real life such as intimate details of their sex life, their ‘size’, what school will their kids go to etc should totally be off limits. The next part we will have to agree to disagree on. Anything show related (bar spoilers they’re publicly not allowed to share) should be allowed even if they’ve answered it a hundred times before. 

2 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

For what it’s worth I’d consider the bit in bold to be over the line. As I said, anything personal to their real life such as intimate details of their sex life, their ‘size’, what school will their kids go to etc should totally be off limits. The next part we will have to agree to disagree on. Anything show related (bar spoilers they’re publicly not allowed to share) should be allowed even if they’ve answered it a hundred times before. 

Fair enough.

I would think fans who are fannish enough to go to con would be respectful of audiences and the actors. Just because some actors might occasionally entertain some of the more "controversial" questions, doesn't necessarily mean it's an endorsement of said questions or to encourage them being asked. They are only human. Some days they may be willing to brave those waters. And other days, not so much.  It doesn't make any of them better or worse human beings because they answer or don't answer. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I think for the most part, this is exactly what they do.  That's why we get so many of the "what's your favorite episode or prank" questions.  It's a double-edged sword, IMO.  Yes, they're being paid a nice amount of cash to answer these questions, but they also have to keep the cons entertaining enough that people want to come back.  And while I've never actually been to a con, I know that I skim over a lot of them nowadays because they're so repetitive.  So they walk a fine line between accommodating every fan who can't seem to come up with an original question, and keeping the interest of those fans who are bored to tears by the same questions.  It can't be all that easy.  And as human beings, no matter how much you're being paid, it would be difficult to show enthusiasm for a question you've been asked and answered a thousand times.

• Love 9

They're pretty good at answering questions that have been repeated over and over.  Prank questions, what scene/episode was the hardest, easiest, emotional to film, who would you bring back, etc.  They will answer.  I've also seen them take small silly questions, like "what kind of tree would you  be"seriously. 

As for asking shipping questions then I also think personal responsibility needs to come into play.  What I mean is my father had a saying, "don't ask a question unless your prepared to hear the answer."  If you want to ask a Destiel question, or any other shipping question for that matter than be prepared for the actor to potentially say no.   I remember when Sam Smith first came back and several people tweeted her and asked if she shipped Destiel.   She flat out said no.  Several of those people also called her homophobic. 

If you (general you) don't want to hear a certain answer don't ask the question.

I also don't believe that just because they're paid to be there, I don't believe that give fans carte blanche to treat them like performing monkeys.  I remember Misha using those exact words.  A fan asked him to repeat some line from an episode and he said "What am I, a peforming monkey?" My feeling, was go Misha.

If actors not answers questions offends, don't ever ask one to Mark Sheppard.

Jared has been open about his struggles with depression.  Some people think that means he's a councilor.  I know someone who refuses to do Jared's meet and greets anymore because she says they became like group therapy sessions.  So I would have no problem if Jared said he didn't want to hear any questions that how he and/or Sam deal with depression.  

At the cons I've done, the only disappointing experience I've had was with Misha.  Autos are my favorite because you get that small moment of one on one time.  So I was looking forward to getting Misha's auto because i wanted to tell him I was looking forward to the start of the season and what was coming up for Dean and Cas.  Misha was like a robot.  he got a picture, and signed and took the next one, without looking up.  (not just me).  When I got up to him I said "hi how are you."  He ignored me signed my pic and took the next one without looking up.

My intent is not to bash Misha, I adore him, but if I wrote him off as standoff or rude after that one experience I wouldn't have had so many great ones. Including this weekend where Misha recognized me   

I didn't feel the need to tell Creation "Misha was mean to me' and demand free stuff (which I have heard stories about.).  I've heard people complain that the guest didn't smile after they were told too.  Seriously, the take close to a thousand photos, Misha more than that since he does two days.  They cant' be "on" all the time. 

They have bad days, they get annoyed, they might have something personal going on, they might be tired, or may Misha didn't hear me say hi since I'm pretty soft spoken.  Just because they're paid doesn't' mean they become robots.

Edited by ILoveReading
  • Love 14
30 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I've also seen them take small silly questions, like "what kind of tree would you  be"seriously. 

I saw a vid where a fan asked what type of drink that they would like to be ( or something along those lines ) and Jensen seriously contemplated the question and asked questions of his own for clarification. Though I don't think that it got answered because the fan got snappy when they asked for clarification and Jared seem put off by their attitude. If that's not good natured I don't know what is.

34 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

I remember when Sam Smith first came back and several people tweeted her and asked if she shipped Destiel.   She flat out said no.  Several of those people also called her homophobic. 

I remember this too.

36 minutes ago, ILoveReading said:

Just because they're paid doesn't' mean they become robots.

THIS!!

• Love 4

Conventions have policies.  You buy a ticket, you do so within the bounds of those policies. 

Question policy:

Do celebrity guests take questions?
• Yes, the vast majority take questions during their time on stage. This can be one of the
most fun and rewarding fan experiences, and we ask you to take a few things into
consideration if you get this chance.
• Please remember that the celebrity's time is limited and they would love to answer as
many questions as possible during their time. Try and keep your question short, to the
point, and something everyone can enjoy. Remember, you're representing the fan
community at the mic!
• Telling long personal stories, asking for hugs or pictures, and telling the stars you love
them (we all do, that's why we're here) takes up another fan's time to ask a question of
their own. Just ask yourself: If someone else was doing this same thing, would I be bored?

Despite this, people asks for hugs, offer gifts, and tell highly charged emotional stories before getting to their question (which is rarely compelling).  

So, like any group activity, people don’t HAVE to be respectful of others but it makes them selfish IMO if they are not. And if they are later criticized for their behavior?  Well, that’s the risk they took in asking a question.   And thinking that it’s okay to be disrespectful to the guests just because you paid a ticket seems awfully entitled to me.  

So what is ‘disrespectful’?  Well, that’s where common sense to one man is a revelation to another.  Well-intentioned questions are rarely disrespectful.  But communication is sometimes garbled or misunderstood.  Shit happens.  Ultimately, each person makes their choice and gets whatever answer the celebrity chooses to give.  It’s the risk you take, and the opportunity you are given, when you buy a ticket.  

Edited by SueB
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, scribe95 said:

Since we are talking about slightly annoying con things I'm over the audience shouting things at the guys. I don't think people pay a bunch of money to hear your comments. I want to hear FROM THEM. 

I hate that so much, too. And it's not slightly annoying to me. It's a huge turn-off.

But I guess that part of some peoples' elementary school education never took. :-/

• Love 4
15 hours ago, catrox14 said:

And this is the tumblr post from the person who asked the question.  I would just advise folks read her take on the experience and then decide what you want. The tumblr is not hers, but the reblog of it is on this post.

http://cassammydean.tumblr.com/post/85797668931/direct-from-the-mystery-girl

To that end. it's been 5 (FIVE) freaking years since that incident. IF and its a BIG IF, Jensen had issues with gay or bi persons, he's changed (and I FTR don't believe he ever did given he had no problem playing a bisexual character in the movie "Blonde".) He supports the LGBT community both in word and deed. He has proudly done photo ops for con goers showing him posing with the bisexual flag.  Yes, it's paid but if he was THAT uncomfortable with it, he could squash those ops. 

Wow. Thanks for this. 

Talk about proof that the telephone game is still very much alive and still doing too much damage to JA's reputation; and within a fandom that continues to promote the idea that we're all just one big, happy "family".

It's become shameful, IMO, especially because it encourages the IF part of this post in some peoples' minds when nothing could be further from the truth.

It makes me sick to my stomach quite frankly.

• Love 3

Me too, @Myrelle, especially when Jensen has shown himself time and again (and again and again) to be a truly good, kind and caring person. Unfortunately, too many see him only as an extension of their 'ship' - and since he can't please both sides at the same time, he gets twice the hate instead of twice the love. SPNfamily, my butt. 

• Love 5

Wow – it is unbelievable that people still believe and talk about that question. I was around then and the furore over it was immense and had every ugly crawling out of the woodwork. At the time the consensus by those NOT trying to crucify him was that, yes he probably could have been a bit more tactful BUT there was and never has been (except in those that want to see it) any question that Jensen is in any way at all homophobic. It seems ridiculous to repeat some of the defenses i.e. his aunt is in a lesbian long term relationship and has tweeted many times about how supportive he and Daneel are, his wife has the LGBT symbol as her tweet handle etc etc. They, as we do in our lives, make unfortunate comments and I am sure they try very hard not to hurt anyone as Jensen, Jared and Misha all seem like caring and basically nice people, and it does seem that Jensen gets more flak than the others as he just does not IMO want to pander to certain sections of the fandom – which does not mean necessarily he is anti people wanting to ship but just leave it in fandom and not canon. 

Edited by Icarus
remove a sentence
  • Love 4

I find it amusing how Ackles fans are so quick to dismiss those who question his behaviour as simply bitter shippers. I for one do not ship either Destiel or Wincest. 

- Finding Ackles publicly equating gay to unmanly in an interview troubling has nothing to do with whether he ships Destiel or Wincest. 

- Finding his statement he wanted to do Cow Boy movies until Brokeback Mountain (a movie known for its gay leads) came out troubling has nothing to do with whether he ships Destiel or Wincest.

- Encouraging a booing crowd and telling someone “not to ruin it for everyone” because they dared mention they were bisexual has nothing to do with whether he ships Destiel or Wincest. Finding the encouragement of group bullying distasteful has nothing to do with shipping. 

Im not going to go as far as to say he definitely is since I don’t know the man personally, but he has no one to blame but himself for raising the question in some people’s minds. Rather than as per usual with this fandom trying to brush off stuff as “oh it’s just the [ship name] shippers” or “It’s just jealously”. How about accepting some people may just interpret words differently to you and don’t like what they hear.

Edited by Wayward Son
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

- Finding Ackles publicly equating gay to unmanly in an interview troubling has nothing to do with whether he ships Destiel or Wincest. 

- Finding his statement he liked Cow Boy movies until Brokeback Mountain (a movie known for its gay leads) troubling has nothing to do with whether he ships Destiel or Wincest.

I basically just have to say, so what?  Not everyone has to approve of the gay lifestyle.  Is there anything to indicate that he is rude, mean, or dismissive of any individual?

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I find it amusing how Ackles fans are so quick to dismiss those who question his behaviour as simply bitter shippers. I for one do not ship either Destiel or Wincest. 

- Finding his statement he liked Cow Boy movies until Brokeback Mountain (a movie known for its gay leads) troubling has nothing to do with whether he ships Destiel or Wincest.

- Encouraging a booing crowd and telling someone “not to ruin it for everyone” because they dared mention they were bisexual has nothing to do with whether he ships Destiel or Wincest. Finding the encouragement of group bullying distasteful has nothing to do with shipping. 

Im not going to go as far as to say he definitely is since I don’t know the man personally, but he has no one to blame but himself for raising the question in some people’s minds. 

If this is referring to my post, to point out I am a Jensen Ackles, Jared Padalecki, Misha Collins fan and I ship most ships when reading fan fiction.  No where did I say that it was bitter shippers who were calling Jensen out just that it was people with ugly minds.

All those statements you have given are IMO either not true or jokes - show me proof of any of them - even the "not to ruin it for everyone"  was addressed to the crowd and not personally to the person trying to ask the question.  Not changing my view, not changing yours just going to leave it there.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I basically just have to say, so what?  Not everyone has to approve of the gay lifestyle.  Is there anything to indicate that he is rude, mean, or dismissive of any individual?

Wow. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Katy M said:

Not everyone has to approve of the gay lifestyle

You don't have to buy into something to accept it as valid.  In my lifetime, I've had friends of pretty much all races and religions.  Some are vegans, agnostics, and new-age types who believe in crystal healing and past life regression.  Some are gay, bi, and undecided.  I like (or dislike) them as individuals, not because of however they identify themselves.  It *doesn't* mean that I believe everything that they do, or that I enjoy it when they start proselytizing for their particular beliefs.**  But I have no problem letting them have their preferences as long as they let me have mine and don't try to convert me (or tell me that I'm wrong.)  Does that make me racist, homophobic, or anti-anything?  

**ETA:  I'm not going to become vegan, no matter how many times people tell me it's so much better for me.  I hope that doesn't insult other vegans or make me sound vege-phobic. :)

Edited by ahrtee
Clarification
  • Love 3

OK just as I stopped discussing that particular incident last night I am going to make this my last post on the topic as a whole. 

I think we can just agree to disagree. There are aspects of his behaviour I find troubling which have nothing to do with shipping, and if true would leave me with a lowered opinion of the man. If others don’t see the implications that’s fine, OR if others see them and condone such attitudes then that’s their business.

At this point It’s definitely time for an agree to disagree on my end. Have a nice day everyone. 

1 hour ago, Icarus said:

If this is referring to my post

I was not referring to your post. 

Edited by Wayward Son
Bolded to highlight there were two *potential* groups being referenced and not everyone was being lumped into a particular group.
  • Love 1
7 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

If others don’t see the implications that’s fine, or if others see them and condone such attitudes then that’s their business.

If others don't agree with your interpretation.  There's no need to condone if others have a different interpretation and don't see anything wrong.  

So yes, agree to disagree.  

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

You don't have to buy into something to accept it as valid.  In my lifetime, I've had friends of pretty much all races and religions.  Some are vegans, agnostics, and new-age types who believe in crystal healing and past life regression.  Some are gay, bi, and undecided.  I like (or dislike) them as individuals, not because of however they identify themselves.  It *doesn't* mean that I believe everything that they do, or that I enjoy it when they start proselytizing for their particular beliefs.  But I have no problem letting them have their preferences as long as they let me have mine and don't try to convert me (or tell me that I'm wrong.)  Does that make me racist, homophobic, or anti-anything?  

Exactly.  You like them as individuals.  You don't necessarily believe in everything they do, or approve of it.  All I was saying.

4 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

If others don't agree with your interpretation.  There's no need to condone if others have a different interpretation and don't see anything wrong.  

So yes, agree to disagree.  

Not arguing / continuing the debate but clarifying that

14 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

If others don’t see the implications that’s fine,

The above line was referring to those who do not share my interpretation :). 

Edited by Wayward Son
1 minute ago, Wayward Son said:

Not arguing just wanting to point out that 

The above line was referring to those who do not share my interpretation :). 

Thank you for clarifying.  It did not come across that way.  Since we all apparently take things very literally around here, I think we should all be more careful in how we phrase things in order to avoid misunderstandings.  

• Love 3

They (the 'big 3') have all made silly jokes or offhand remarks that could be misconstrued (or not), or taken out of context (or not), or maybe meant exactly as they were stated (or not), but Jensen is the one who gets vilified for them. Pretty much exclusively. I don't know why that is, though I have my suspicion that it is rooted in jealousy, but it's what I see most online.

• Love 8
13 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

but Jensen is the one who gets vilified for them. Pretty much exclusively.

No. Most recently, Jared got pummeled for days for a joke shared with Jensen, and before that for complaining about an airline. Misha is often criticized for encouraging Destiel. They all get vilified, just by different factions of the SPN "family".

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

There are aspects of his behaviour I find troubling which have nothing to do with shipping, and if true would leave me with a lowered opinion of the man. If others don’t see the implications that’s fine, or if others see them and condone such attitudes then that’s their business.

Except that it's FANDOM factions that have created this issue. NOT JENSEN. It's already been discussed that he finds shipping questions uncomfortable. That is his prerogative.  It's twisting anything that he says into something out of context. When he's asked who Dean might be with, he names Jo or Lisa typically. He doesn't see Dean and Cas as being in a romantic relationship. And the scene in question he and Misha both objected to the writing of the scene.  Jensen's answer wasn't great and was also NOT an example of homophobia, remembering that homophobia means hatred of, aversion to or prejudice against homosexuals.

Given that is the definition, why would someone who is homophobic take a role as a bisexual character as he did in Blonde? Did he become homophobic after that?  

Are you choosing to ignore the monetary donations he's made to LGBT issues? Are you choosing to ignore him tweeting his love and support to the gay community in Orlando following the nightclub murders? Are you choosing to ignore his support for same sex marriage?  Given the industry he works in, I think it's pretty fair to say that he has MANY friends who are LGBTQ. I feel pretty certain if he was homophobic, which is actually a really serious charge to make against someone, I doubt he'd still be working for the CW who is rather gay friendly. Sure he's under contract but they could just flat out cancel the show if he really was as homophobic as you are clearly implying. If you only want to look at his comments at conventions, in an environment that is rife with controversy and fandom wars, well, I think that's not really looking at the whole picture.

15 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I'm sincerely asking, did you read the account of the incident I posted above? If you did, I think you would have a different opinion on the matter. Unless you just want to continue holding it against Jensen, which is your prerogative. 

As to the suggestion that not finding him to be homophobic based on the overall evidence at my disposal that are publicly known things, makes me homophobic by extension is quite a reach. I am an LGBTQ ally.  I feel pretty confident that my not perceiving Jensen as homophobic does not make me homophobic by extension.  Context is everything, If you are choosing to only go by his con commentary and not all the other things, then I'm going to proffer that you have your mind made up and no amount of anything Jensen says or does will change your mind. 

These men are only human. They all fuck up and say really stupid things at times.   I look at their overall body of accomplishments in their lives and think I probably have no cause without true compelling evidence to think that Misha is racist because of a stupid joke he made on Twitter, or that he's also homophobic because he suggested that early pics of Jensen were a pre-op Jensenna Ackles nor that Jared is a cruel human being for his rants at the airline industry on Twitter.

I don't know these people and neither do you or any of us, not really. Not even those who've been privileged enough to attend meet and greets.  I choose to think they are probably better people than some of their off the cuff remarks and Twitter rants would make them seem.  But that's just me.

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

As to the suggestion that not finding him to be homophobic based on the overall evidence at my disposal that are publicly known things, makes me homophobic by extension is quite a reach. 

As I already clarified to @ahrtee the following part of my post 

46 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

If others don’t see the implications that’s fine

Was referring to those like yourself who simply interpret his words entirely differently and don’t believe they hold the same implications. 

• Love 1

If you read the entirety of my post you'll see that I am drawing a distinction between problematic things THEY HAVE ALL SAID and done at times vs painting them with the labels of "racist" "sexist" or "homophobic", in the case of Jensen. 

• Love 3

Knock it off, please.  Personal attacks are not okay.  Everyone has the right to express their opinions, even if they differ from yours.  Use the ignore function if you can't keep it civil.

• Love 1