Type keyword(s) to search

SuperNormal: Public Appearances, Tweets, Media And Other Social Media Of The SPN Cast

• Start Topic

25 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

I kind of dig the shaded look though.

I love the shaded look. I hope that he leaves it like that. It might be dedicated to JJ, but it has her daddy written all over it in some ways, too. Love that.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Do those same rules apply to skin art? Not being snarky. A friend of mine gets tattoos and they do the color in stages.

Sorry--I have no idea how skin art compares to art on paper/canvas/fresco.  But in thinking about it, I remembered that ink is different from paint and in this case is applied much more precisely, and skin has different qualities about holding colors, so... *shrugs*  Should be interesting to see!

3 minutes ago, Myrelle said:

I love the shaded look. I hope that he leaves it like that. 

Yeah, I've always been a sucker for shades of gray.  My own work tends to be in pencil and charcoal more than color.  

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

Do those same rules apply to skin art? Not being snarky. A friend of mine gets tattoos and they do the color in stages.

With art of any kind, it all depends on the medium and the desired effect (or technique). I think that applies to body art as well.

Man, parts of this fandom ... I dunno, I just have to shake my head and back away slowly. It makes me think of Sam's quote "Ok if you want to add glitter to that glue you're sniffing, that's fine, but don't dump your wackadoo all over us. We'd rather not step in it" ... I want to imagine that all these "extreme" fans are all young obsessive tweens/teens (in that way that only stereo-typical tweens/teens can be), that just don't know any better ... but the sad fact is, that I know some of these people have to be legitimate grown ups ... and that's just ... scary. It must be really hard for the cast, crew, and creators to deal with ... I mean, what do you even do with that much, uh, intensity (to put it politely)?

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DittyDotDot said:

With art of any kind, it all depends on the medium and the desired effect (or technique). I think that applies to body art as well.

I don't understand your response. Ahrtee answered my question which  was more abut the canvas of skin vs other canvasses which I probably wasn't really clear in my question.  Thanks for replying though!

1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

Sorry--I have no idea how skin art compares to art on paper/canvas/fresco.  But in thinking about it, I remembered that ink is different from paint and in this case is applied much more precisely, and skin has different qualities about holding colors, so... *shrugs*  Should be interesting to see!

I was thinking that maybe with skin the colors will brighten or darken as the skin heals from the work and maybe like two weeks later he gets more color or not.  Thanks for the answer!

Edited by catrox14
4 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I was thinking that maybe with skin the colors will brighten or darken as the skin heals from the work and maybe like two weeks later he gets more color or not.  Thanks for the answer!

Well, my "talking out of my ass" answer would be:  I don't think the colors would change too much too fast (they'll probably fade with time in between UV light and shedding skin).  But IIRC ink pigment is a dye/stain, which is a lot more stable than any mixed pigments like oils or acrylics, so, while the colors will vary from samples, depending on skin tone, thickness, etc., once they're set they should stay pretty stable.  But yeah, they might need some time to heal first.  I imagine all the shading work was very stressful on the skin (just consider the number of needles needed to get that toning!) so I can see leaving some time for it to be soothed/settle down before adding more layers.

About color on skin (as opposed to on paper), I'm going to reverse what I said originally, because done well, it shouldn't necessarily muddy the rest of the  image, because they're going to have to put it in point by point between the lines rather than a broad stroke/wash over the other work.  (In art descriptions:  Pointillism (think: Seurat) vs. Impressionism (think: Monet)).  I know, way too much art geek.  Sorry. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Well, my "talking out of my ass" answer would be:  I don't think the colors would change too much too fast (they'll probably fade with time in between UV light and shedding skin).  But IIRC ink pigment is a dye/stain, which is a lot more stable than any mixed pigments like oils or acrylics, so, while the colors will vary from samples, depending on skin tone, thickness, etc., once they're set they should stay pretty stable.  But yeah, they might need some time to heal first.  I imagine all the shading work was very stressful on the skin (just consider the number of needles needed to get that toning!) so I can see leaving some time for it to be soothed/settle down before adding more layers.

About color on skin (as opposed to on paper), I'm going to reverse what I said originally, because done well, it shouldn't necessarily muddy the rest of the  image, because they're going to have to put it in point by point between the lines rather than a broad stroke/wash over the other work.  (In art descriptions:  Pointillism (think: Seurat) vs. Impressionism (think: Monet)).  I know, way too much art geek.  Sorry. 

No, I appreciate the explanations! I don't know that kind of art stuff other than very basic things but I really enjoy discussing it.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I don't understand your response. Ahrtee answered my question which  was more abut the canvas of skin vs other canvasses which I probably wasn't really clear in my question.  Thanks for replying though!

I was just saying that, in my experience as an artist, there is no simple answer to that question, it all depends on the artist, the technique and the materials used.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ahrtee said:

(In art descriptions:  Pointillism (think: Seurat) vs. Impressionism (think: Monet)).  I know, way too much art geek.  Sorry. 

Not at all! I appreciate the art references. Seeing the Seurat at the Chicago Art Institute was one of my favorite "art moments," and that was even without considering its pop culture claim to fame. And being a more than occasional visitor to the Museum of Fine Arts (in Boston) in my youth, the paintings of Monet (and Manet) were some of the first art that I ever saw as a child. The MFA used to (and still  might) have a whole room dedicated to them.

Edited by AwesomO4000
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, AwesomO4000 said:

Not at all! I appreciate the art references. Seeing the Seurat at the Chicago Art Institute was one of my favorite "art moments," and that was even without considering its pop culture claim to fame. And being a more than occasional visitor to the Museum of Fine Arts (in Boston) in my youth, the paintings of Monet (and Manet) were some of the first art that I ever saw as a child. The MFA used to (and still  might) have a whole room dedicated to them.

Undergrad degree in art history.  Mother who was an artist and started us with art lessons about age 4.  Life drawing classes at the Art Student's League in NY starting about age 14.  And I did a grad internship at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one of my favorite memories of all times, even though I was interning in the library, not the galleries...but I got to pretend to be staff every day!)  Just haven't had much to do with art for many years now, so this brought out my geek.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Undergrad degree in art history.  Mother who was an artist and started us with art lessons about age 4.  Life drawing classes at the Art Student's League in NY starting about age 14.  And I did a grad internship at the Metropolitan Museum of Art (one of my favorite memories of all times, even though I was interning in the library, not the galleries...but I got to pretend to be staff every day!)  Just haven't had much to do with art for many years now, so this brought out my geek.

So cool... I want to hear more... taking it to the small talk thread if you don't mind indulging me.

Edited by AwesomO4000
6 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

Anyone going to Hawaii?  Jensen's apparently going to sing and he'll maybe show off his brand new tattoo. 

There was supposed to be a contest attached to AKF where 2 fans won a gold ticket, airline, hotel for the Hawaii con.  I don't know if anyone was announced or not but that would have been the only way I would have gotten to go.

• Love 1
On 10/19/2017 at 8:50 PM, catrox14 said:

That's what I mentioned upthread. I think it could be a sign that it won't go past 300 eps.

IMO, it won't go past 300. But I'm more concerned about what this tattoo says about acting after the 300. I want to see Jensen on screen in much, much more. I do like the tattoo, but it is large. And about trying to find a Jay to fashion, I believe that Jays are rather nasty birds, so perhaps there's no call for that exact design. Just my guess.

But I'm more concerned about what this tattoo says about acting after the 300. I want to see Jensen on screen in much, much more.

Me too. But I think you can an entire project, at least for a movie, without ever taking off your shirt so the tattoo would be no hindrance. Or, if it was something action-y that required shirtless action, you can just leave it in and make it some quirky backstory. It is big and obviously has a specific meaning to Jensen but overall it would still be vague enough that it could be easily incorporated into pretty much anything. And if not, it can be covered up.

• Love 1

I wouldn’t rule out the show lasting past 300. I can still remember when fans were talking about how the show wouldn’t past five seasons, how it would end at the 200 mark, how it wouldn’t last ten seasons etc and yet here we are still second show on its network! 

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Wayward Son said:

I wouldn’t rule out the show lasting past 300. I can still remember when fans were talking about how the show wouldn’t past five seasons, how it would end at the 200 mark, how it wouldn’t last ten seasons etc and yet here we are still second show on its network! 

Of course that's a possibility. I just think that the guys will be ready to move on from the show by then. However, obviously it's just a guess. And yes, many have thought that this show would be long-gone by now. :)

• Love 2

I don't know what to think anymore.  I thought they were probably close to the end based on comments from Jensen and Jared, but they seem to really be enjoying the recent publicity, and why shouldn't they.  Maybe it will be enough to have them continue for a bit, especially if this season is well-received.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, gonzosgirrl said:

Lots of actors and actresses have tattoos though. Doesn't Mark Sheppard have several? Unless they are visible on their face or hands, I don't see it being a problem. 

It shouldn't be a problem as long as Jensen can get it covered up for the Shirtless scenes

• Love 3

I think the fact that it's not colorful, and is actually a bit muted will make it easer to cover up, if needed.  Of course I'm no makeup artist, so what the hell do I know.  I wonder how long before he gets one (or two) for Zeppelin and Arrow?

Edited by MysteryGuest
10 hours ago, Casseiopeia said:

It shouldn't be a problem as long as Jensen can get it covered up for the Shirtless scenes

Agreed. Besides, it is not like we see them in t-shirts that much anyways.  Shouldn't be too hard.

10 hours ago, MysteryGuest said:

I think the fact that it's not colorful, and is actually a bit muted will make it easer to cover up, if needed.  Of course I'm no makeup artist, so what the hell do I know.  I wonder how long before he gets one (or two) for Zeppelin and Arrow?

I remember on Charmed they used to cover up the actresses tattoo's in the earlier seasons, then stopped that in the later seasons. Maybe it takes a lot of time and money. Though i guess it depends on the person and what they need to cover. Maybe since Jensen's not that colorful will be easier, and only shirtless scene's require a cover-up. It isn't like we see Dean in singlets so much or very short t-shirts that it will be noticeable. 

15 hours ago, Wayward Son said:

Me either. If only CW cut SPN down to 13-16 episode seasons, the boys might want to stay on longer with a shorter load. But CW won't do that. It might be the one thing that see's them wanting to continue for more years, with less episode's to do a year. 

They are getting older, so they might not want to keep doing 22-23 episodes a year forever. The actors on X-Files came back because it was a shorter order, and them cant do that sort of show anymore in their 50s. I can't see the boys still doing this show into their 50 with 22 episodes a year.

If the spin-off was the show that aired in it's timeslot as a replacement show or filler or something to keep the timeslot with new content all year round. 

Edited by nightwing877
54 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I wonder if they'll negotiate for season 14 to be 12 or less episodes? 

I hope they do. I'd like to see what they would do with that. 

55 minutes ago, legendinmyownmind said:

I hope Jared doesn't get one.

If he does, I hope it's small and not on his shoulder. Tattoos are funny. They used to be sort of a signal for being a rebel. Now, they're so ubiquitous, that being tattoo-free is more of a sign of non-conformity. 

• Love 4

I'll swim against the stream.  I do not like tattoos.  And I really don't like gigantic tattoos.   I also wonder about acting past Supernatural.  At this point, the show runners would accommodate pretty much anything for Jensen, but that doesn't hold true for the rest of the entertainment world.   If he has to sit in make-up for an extra hour every day to cover it up (making up numbers here because I have no idea lol) does that make casting him in another TV show or movie more of a hassle?  Especially with such a personal tattoo.  If it wasn't covered up, seeing it would take me out of the scene because I would think "OH, that's the tattoo Jensen got to honor his daughter".

Anyway, I'm commenting too much about someone I will never know, so I'll quit.

I was shocked to read Jim Beaver's response to the "Me too" campaign.  Very painful to read.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Frost said:

I was shocked to read Jim Beaver's response to the "Me too" campaign.  Very painful to read.

It was. I had tears when I finished. It was thoughtful and honest and raw. Best commentary from any actor who I read on this topic. 

• Love 9

How many shows are we watching where the (40 year old)  guys are regularly shirtless? And if it's a new role, they wouldn't have to necessarily even explain him having one since they are so mainstream today.  I'm not seeing the big deal here. 

I will also have my hat for dinner if Jared doesn't have one sooner rather than later. 

• Love 6
2 minutes ago, Frost said:

I'll swim against the stream.  I do not like tattoos.  And I really don't like gigantic tattoos.   I also wonder about acting past Supernatural.  At this point, the show runners would accommodate pretty much anything for Jensen, but that doesn't hold true for the rest of the entertainment world.   If he has to sit in make-up for an extra hour every day to cover it up (making up numbers here because I have no idea lol) does that make casting him in another TV show or movie more of a hassle?  Especially with such a personal tattoo.  If it wasn't covered up, seeing it would take me out of the scene because I would think "OH, that's the tattoo Jensen got to honor his daughter".

I'm not much of a tattoo fan either and I'll admit to being surprised that Jensen's tattoo is so large.  I honestly didn't see him doing that, but then I don't know him.  As far as SPN or other projects though, so many actors/actresses have tattoos now that I don't think the need to cover his is going to be any sort of detriment for his current job or any future jobs.  I think when Jensen mentioned not getting a tattoo until after SPN, it was because he didn't feel like taking the extra time in makeup to cover it up, not because it would be an issue for the studio.

• Love 4

I get the feeling Jensen is well aware of the extra time in the makeup chair to cover his tattoo.  But shirtless scenes are few and far between on Supernatural - so no big deal.  I'm not overly keen on his choice of design, but it means something to him so that's what's important.

What did Jim Beaver respond?  Is it on twitter?

5 minutes ago, Pondlass1 said:

I get the feeling Jensen is well aware of the extra time in the makeup chair to cover his tattoo.  But shirtless scenes are few and far between on Supernatural - so no big deal.  I'm not overly keen on his choice of design, but it means something to him so that's what's important.

What did Jim Beaver respond?  Is it on twitter?

It's on his Facebook page. 

https://m.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=10159716945525495&id=254377915494

Edited by gonzosgirrl
  • Love 1

You know what’s funny? I don’t follow any of the spn actors. I came across Beaver’s post on a political website. I was so surprised to see it there! So it’s made an impact, I think. And hope. 

Edited by Bessie
55 minutes ago, gonzosgirrl said:

And if it's a new role, they wouldn't have to necessarily even explain him having one since they are so mainstream today.  I'm not seeing the big deal here. 

I don't see a problem either. Unless he decides to sleeve that arm with two more gigantic tattoos for the other kids. Then it could be an issue, but maybe even not then. As you say, tattoos are no big deal anymore. 

Edited by Bessie
  • Love 1
15 minutes ago, Bessie said:

I don't see a problem either. Unless he decides to sleeve that arm with two more gigantic tattoos for the other kids. Then it could be an issue, but maybe even not then. As you say, tattoos are no big deal anymore. 

Wild speculation here, but my first thought on seeing the design, the bird with her wings open like that, was that there was room to add something for the twins under big-sister's wings. Also wild spec - he was so thoughtful in his choice here, I feel like he'll wait until they 'know' the twins like they know their "Birdie" before he does something for them, so that it will have meaning as well.

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I wouldn't be surprised if he got one at the same time as Jensen. Maybe something for Tom since Tom was his first born child.

If he got one at the same time, it would have been all over SM by now.  

• Love 3
Just now, gonzosgirrl said:

This I would find truly surprising. Jared never met a camera he didn't love, lol.

I wouldn't. We don't know him. Or at least I don't. I only know his public persona. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't surprise me if he did get one and share it. But it also wouldn't surprise me if he got one with Ackles and wanted to keep it private for awhile or forever. And I'm 100% positive that there have been times when he's  asked for a photo and says no. 

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, Bessie said:

I wouldn't. We don't know him. Or at least I don't. I only know his public persona. Don't get me wrong, it wouldn't surprise me if he did get one and share it. But it also wouldn't surprise me if he got one with Ackles and wanted to keep it private for awhile or forever. And I'm 100% positive that there have been times when he's  asked for a photo and says no. 

Not meaning an insult to either one, but Jared has never been shy about sharing (even very personal things like his struggles with depression) on SM before (whereas IMO Jensen tends to be a little more private).  So the fact that JA has shared his makes me think (and it's JMO) that if JP also got one (especially at the same time) he would willingly show it, unless it's particularly personal (or in a particularly private area) :)    But IA we don't know everything about either one's personal life, just what they choose to share.

Edited by ahrtee
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Not meaning an insult to either one, but Jared has never been shy about sharing (even very personal things like his struggles with depression) on SM before (whereas IMO Jensen tends to be a little more private).  So the fact that JA has shared his makes me think (and it's JMO) that if JP also got one (especially at the same time) he would willingly show it, unless it's particularly personal (or in a particularly private area) :)    But IA we don't know everything about either one's personal life, just what they choose to share.

I'll only be surprised if it isn't unveiled in a people.com spread. :)

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ahrtee said:

If he got one at the same time, it would have been all over SM by now.  

Not if he wasn't ready to share it.

Clif and Jensen posted pics of him being at the tattoo shop. The tattoo artist was going to post the picture of Jensen's tat but backtracked saying it was up to Jensen when the time was right. Also, we don't really know WHEN the tat was done.  Maybe they were done long before the pictures were posted. And that's not being shady. It's just when they decide to post something. 

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, ahrtee said:

Not meaning an insult to either one, but Jared has never been shy about sharing (even very personal things like his struggles with depression) on SM before (whereas IMO Jensen tends to be a little more private). 

My understanding is that Padalecki was very private about his mental health and it took him a while to decide to champion that as his cause. As I recall, Amell had something to do with it. But I don't know all the details. 

I don't view sharing or not sharing about oneself to be good or bad in itself. It all depends on the individual. All I'm saying is that I believe there are tons of things I don't know about Padalecki and I wouldn't be shocked if he also got a tattoo. That's it. 

Edited by Bessie
  • Love 5