Type keyword(s) to search

Knightfall - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Hub and I are actually enjoying it.  I can overlook any historical gaffes and just be entertained.

'Landry, I am your mother' - let's see how long she remains alive.

Honestly, when Joan chose Isabella to be recompense for her cousin losing her son I was SO ready for the 'little strumpet' to bite it. The actress who plays her doesn't even have to open her mouth to be annoying

My money's on Parsafil not being dead, though if he isn't, I'm wondering how he's going to get out of that tomb

I agree with DeNogaret being the most interesting character.  He's the perfect foil and reeks with ambition.  How he put 2 and 2 together about Landry and the Queen was too easy and convenient, but I fanwanked it because I was both dreading and anticipating Phillip eventually finding out.  And DeNogaret is just enough of a knave to use that to get back into Phillip's good graces

'Put him in his office,' Phillips tells the guards of DeNogaret

'You mean the office that has all those secret doors and passages' my hub pointed out.  Unless he was cuffed, which I don't remember

• Love 4

I have enjoyed this show. More entertaining than most other shows. I don't worry about the spotty writing or acting. I want to be entertained in the evening. There is enough had s### on tv with people telling you what to think. In this series I love the costumes/dresses plus the scenery. 

• Love 1

So hilarious they had to consolidate all the episodes into this one short thread.  Worst "historical" drama ever.  I watch it to laugh my head off and to root for The Nose Gray guy and King Philip and especially Lame Guy who just wanted a sip from the cup for crying out loud but Landry is oh no I made myself God and you can't have any.  Glad dummy "hero" Landry now finally knows how it feels to have bad knees.

This so-called hero is not only a lying douchbag sleeping with the queen but he is also just too stupid to to live.  "Yeah sure I lost the Grail twice but I darn tootin' won't lose it a third time."  Dude this is not baseball.  You don't get three strikes.  Well he probably would if they re-new this mess which I hope they don't. 

And man he was terrible at his trial ... along with everything else he has done.  "Yeah sure I broke my vows and slept with the queen and fathered an unborn baby with her and betrayed my best non-Templar buddy in the process.  And no I have no idea what Godfrey was up to with the Saracens but hey I kind of remember I turned my best Templar buddy over to them to get killed to get that cup back one time.  Not my fault they didn't kill him.  Oh wait it is a good thing they didn't kill him you're saying?  I get confused about stuff like that.  I'm not very smart and would be dead by now except my mommy came and saved me".

Meanwhile best friend Templar buddy goes out and steals the Grail from the Pope.  I swear the Grail is harder to hold on to than a greased pig.

So sad The Nose Gray guy only got the one small scene where he was showing off Red Army. 

PS:  Hey Landry, the Saracens didn't attack Acre back when your whole group managed to lose the Grail that time 15 years back.  It was the Mamluks.  God you don't even know who you were fighting.

Edited by green
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, Stallion12 said:

The saracen leader was involved in the seige,  he was the messenger in episode one. 

Sorry.  I was talking about real history above regards the Mamluks,  Not this fantasy version of history.  And it was more fun of me to make fun of "Landry" then the sloppy writing in that post.

Edited by green
  • Love 1

So the teenage boy is really dead then?

Landry is such a wet blanket and full of anti-charisma.  And such a hypocrite. Holier than thou but fucking around on the sly.  And I loathe the king too.

I am rooting for De Nogaret.

• Love 1

I must have slept through a scene or two.  De Nougat escaped his hanging and the king was pissed and screaming his name.  Then there's this scene where De Nougat is back and apparently chums with the king again, since they are walking together and inspecting the army.   What happened?  And if the king believes that De Nacho is innocent, wouldn't that mean that he knows his daughter is guilty?  The one that he is siding with over the queen?

Landry is a bit wooden and Lord Gillingham isn't the greatest actor, but I am still rooting for him over the sniveling Gawain   Can't stand Gawain.

I wonder what the chances of renewal are.  I would think having Jeremy Renner as producer helps.  (BTW I thought he was supposed to make a cameo?).  This show definitely has its flaws but I like it nonetheless.   The production values, particularly the art direction and the costumes, are superb.

• Love 1

Too bad Fimmel couldn't come play Landry. The guy who does goes from wooden, to looking like  "why am I here",  to looking like an unprepared person got shoved into a time machine  and oh, where are we? lol. Damn that king reminds me of the puppet king from........help me out. I swear there is a Pixar  movie King, maybe Mr. Rogers, he'll-was it Shrek? -or something that looks JUST like him.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, leisawoo said:

Too bad Fimmel couldn't come play Landry. The guy who does goes from wooden, to looking like  "why am I here",  to looking like an unprepared person got shoved into a time machine  and oh, where are we? lol. Damn that king reminds me of the puppet king from........help me out. I swear there is a Pixar  movie King, maybe Mr. Rogers, he'll-was it Shrek? -or something that looks JUST like him.

Farquad from Shrek?   They all have that horrible Richard III  pageboy hairstyle that was apparently popular in medieval times.

Edited by blackwing

Oh another thing I found funny is that Phillip wanders around the castle in the private quarters still wearing his crown.  Does he ever take it off? 

And yeah he is that guy from Shrek.  This show would have done better as a cartoon from the beginning since the lead actor is even worse that Bishop BadActor on Vikings even. 

The Nose Gray for the win. He is the only actor who is even slightly fun to watch.  And you know he knows the material is God awful so he is happily chewing on as much scenery as he can and I am grateful for same.  Thanks God this series is over next Thursday.  Hopefully over forever.

Edited by green
6 hours ago, magdalene said:

Yes, according to this it got renewed after the third episode:

https://www.spoilertv.com/2017/12/knightfall-renewed-for-2nd-season-by.html

They can improve this show by getting a better lead actor.  And give Julian Ovenden more to do.  If a show is average at best they can still improve by playing to their strength.

Besides De Nogaret the costumes are the best part of it. They look pretty.

Or an average actor.  Or a below average actor.  Or a random person off the street.  Or anyone at all other than the current person filling that position.

• Love 2

I'm still rather enjoying it. I have some issues. I don't care for the actress playing Isabella (and haven't since I first saw her on Poldark). The writing can be a little, um, stodgy. But I've read enough "historical fictions" and "historical romances" to forgive a lot. Just as you don't look for historical accuracy in those fictions and romances, you can't look for it here. And Tom Cullen is still a good brooder, even if he's not the most emotive actor ever. :) I do like Simon Merrells who plays Tancrede. I'll probably be back next year if they renew it.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, WordsWordsWords said:

I'm still rather enjoying it. I have some issues. I don't care for the actress playing Isabella (and haven't since I first saw her on Poldark).

THAT's where I know her from!

• Love 1
On 2/8/2018 at 7:23 PM, magdalene said:

I didn't want Joan to die. I wanted Landry to die. And the king. 

Now what?

I wanted them all to die including the show itself.  Okay The Nose Gray guy can hang out on some other show.  Maybe Bjorn can run into him during one of his endless Med Vacations that never amount to anything because he has to teleport back home to kill Saxons or his fellow Vikings all the time.

Yeah Landry, give your partner in lust and lying a drink from the cup but not the guy who spent his whole life in service to your bro'-hood and remained true to his vows and was in constant pain for 15 straight years.  And when things don't go Landry's way he throws what he truly believes to be the cup of Christ away in a temper tantrum and breaks it?  Way to be a good and pious Christian there ... not. 

Speaking of the other guy, why couldn't he not actually have broken Landry's knee after all.  Just some swelling and Landry screamed like a baby over it. 

So Landry's mommy saved him because she convinced the Pope of something he isn't telling because what?  The writer hasn't thought up a reason yet?  Or the obvious silly go to, the Pope turns out to be Landry's daddy.

Phillip seemed a fairly nice guy most of the season.  Certainty he was the one betrayed and hurt by the his wife and bestest friend ever.   They only "dirtied" Phillip up the last few episodes.  I know all this was filmed way before it aired but it was almost like the writer finally saw the future and knew they had to suddenly make Landry look less horrible than he really is so decided to quickly make Phillip into an abusive husband type and by contrast try to make Landry look better.  Too obvious an attempt to re-write the show at the last minute.

I thought someone else stole the cup last episode.  Landry's loyal sidekick who should have been the lead in the series along with his actually decent character.  Did I hallucinate that or did the Chinese woman now steal it.  Grail is like a hot potato.  And who is the Chinese woman ninja?  And what is it with somewhat sketchy Chinese women running around all over northern Europe in the Dark Ages?  First the woman who turned Ragnar into a druggie now this woman.

And speaking of ninjas, was the Jewish girl a ninja type earlier?  How does she know how to fight?  What is she doing?  What happened to her?  Her storyline with the Templar acolyte ("The Kid") seems to have literally "died" out so maybe they wrote her out too.  Unless next year (gag me this was even renewed) "The Kid" crawls out of the crypt his dead body was thrown into and has become a Zombie Templar.  And given how badly this show is being written a Zombie Templar at this point would sadly be an improvement.

Oh wait it is coming to me ... You know what would make a hit show?  Zombie Templars!  The two "types" who are "hot" on TV and in books etc right now.  It would be a major hit.  They are Templars who come back into the modern world as zombies because yadda yadda to find the Grail and the Ark (hint: look in the big gov't warehouse) and then wreck revenge on various weekly bad guys yadda yadda.  Can't miss.  Do it History Channel.  It is right up your alley.  You can throw in some Ancient Aliens to help and/or battle with the Zombie Templars.  Lunatic Weird Hair Guy from Ancient Aliens could be the Narrator so you could pass it off as a typical History Channel documentary.  It practically writes itself.  Must see TV!

Edited by green
  • Love 2

I still enjoyed this show despite its problems.  I don't think Tom Cullen is a great actor, but I suppose he is serviceable.  I'd rather have him as the lead than the actor who plays Gawain.  Simon Merrells is great but he's too old to be Landry.

@green you raise some good questions.  What did become of the Jewish girl?  So much time was spent on her.  Did she just disappear?   They killed "The Kid" and then she became extraneous?

That seemed to be a fake grail since there was a note in it that I believe had Landry's name on it.  What was the note?  More directions to the real Grail?  Who was the guy who found the note and how did he know it was there?

What was the secret Mama Landry told the Pope?  I too thought it was that he was the father.  Although if so, you'd think he'd remember Mama.  Was the secret that it wasn't the real Grail?

Although I hated the Isabella character, in history

she marries Edward II of England and becomes known as the She Wolf of France.  Rumors say that she and her lover Roger Mortimer killed Edward.

This Isabella would be great on the show, I just can't stand this actress.

Joan is dead, in history it is said she died in childbirth although there are rumors that Philip killed her.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, blackwing said:

What was the secret Mama Landry told the Pope?  I too thought it was that he was the father.  Although if so, you'd think he'd remember Mama.  Was the secret that it wasn't the real Grail?

I may have read too much Dan Brown, but my guess was that she told the Pope that Landry was either a descendant of Mary Magdalene or Jesus (or both). The Pope was clearly profoundly shaken, and I couldn't think of much else that could upset him that much other than learning that he was on the verge of killing someone that might be considered a living pillar of the church.

• Love 1

God, that was terrible. Terrible show, just God-awful, abysmal. I HATED Landry start to finish, he's a shitty actor whoever he is. He was only slightly less terrible on Gunpowder, as my man Guy Fawkes.

If this gets picked up for a second season with so many unlikable characters...I know I won't be watching it. I liked Joan, sort of.

22 hours ago, green said:

I wanted them all to die including the show itself.  Okay The Nose Gray guy can hang out on some other show.  Maybe Bjorn can run into him during one of his endless Med Vacations that never amount to anything because he has to teleport back home to kill Saxons or his fellow Vikings all the time.

Yeah Landry, give your partner in lust and lying a drink from the cup but not the guy who spent his whole life in service to your bro'-hood and remained true to his vows and was in constant pain for 15 straight years.  And when things don't go Landry's way he throws what he truly believes to be the cup of Christ away in a temper tantrum and breaks it?  Way to be a good and pious Christian there ... not. 

Speaking of the other guy, why couldn't he not actually have broken Landry's knee after all.  Just some swelling and Landry screamed like a baby over it. 

So Landry's mommy saved him because she convinced the Pope of something he isn't telling because what?  The writer hasn't thought up a reason yet?  Or the obvious silly go to, the Pope turns out to be Landry's daddy.

Phillip seemed a fairly nice guy most of the season.  Certainty he was the one betrayed and hurt by the his wife and bestest friend ever.   They only "dirtied" Phillip up the last few episodes.  I know all this was filmed way before it aired but it was almost like the writer finally saw the future and knew they had to suddenly make Landry look less horrible than he really is so decided to quickly make Phillip into an abusive husband type and by contrast try to make Landry look better.  To obvious an attempt to re-write the show at the last minute.

I thought someone else stole the cup last episode.  Landry's loyal sidekick who should have been the lead in the series along with his actually decent character.  Did I hallucinate that or did the Chinese woman now steal it.  Grail is like a hot potato.  And who is the Chinese woman ninja?  And what is it with somewhat sketchy Chinese women running around all over northern Europe in the Dark Ages?  First the woman who turned Ragnar into a druggie now this woman.

And speaking of ninjas, was the Jewish girl a ninja type earlier?  How does she know how to fight?  What is she doing?  What happened to her?  Her storyline with the Templar acolyte ("The Kid") seems to have literally "died" out so maybe they wrote her out too.  Unless next year (gag me this was even renewed) "The Kid" crawls out of the crypt his dead body was thrown into and has become a Zombie Templar.  And given how badly this show is being written a Zombie Templar at this point would sadly be an improvement.

Oh wait it is coming to me ... You know what would make a hit show?  Zombie Templars!  The two "types" who are "hot" on TV and in books etc right now.  It would be a major hit.  They are Templars who come back into the modern world as zombies because yadda yadda to find the Grail and the Ark (hint: look in the big gov't warehouse) and then wreck revenge on various weekly bad guys yadda yadda.  Can't miss.  Do it History Channel.  It is right up your alley.  You can throw in some Ancient Aliens to help and/or battle with the Zombie Templars.  Lunatic Weird Hair Guy from Ancient Aliens could be the Narrator so you could pass it off as a typical History Channel documentary.  It practically writes itself.  Must see TV!

Green, you cracked me right up.  I kept waiting to see if Parcival (Heretofore called "The Kid") came back to life and got out of the crypt, but he apparently stayed dead.  Off with Bjorn on Club Med, indeed.  

For people who were supposed to be honourable, and considered God's soldiers, 

A)- Anyone who loses the Grail that often, needs to never go after it again, or worse--break it in rage)

B) Lots of skulduggery for those aforementioned knights. I wouldn't trust them to look after a graveyard. 

They certainly bleed a lot of interestingly purpley red blood. 

That's all I got out of however many million episodes it seemed to be. 

• Love 1

History Channel has been running another show on the Templars that I found interesting. This show is based on fact. IT seems that in 1307 King Philip of France ordered the arrest and killing of ALL Templars. He wanted their money to finance his wars. I have been trying to see if there is any tie-in people wise with the Knightfall show. So far the only name has been King Philip.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, nitrofishblue said:

History Channel has been running another show on the Templars that I found interesting. This show is based on fact. IT seems that in 1307 King Philip of France ordered the arrest and killing of ALL Templars. He wanted their money to finance his wars. I have been trying to see if there is any tie-in people wise with the Knightfall show. So far the only name has been King Philip.

Yes he is the King Philip along with the Pope in this series that went after the Templars for real.  That is why they started the series in the year 1307 (after the 15 years before prologue of course).  The show is about Knightfall aka the literal "fall" of the Knights Templars.  Landry is fictional I assume.  OTOH, the Grand Master we saw the last few episodes is definitely the real one from history.

And fall they well should.  Two hundred years after their founding they had gone from sort of (but not really) idealistic knight types to a powerfully armed to the teeth army of greedy bankers who threatened the stability of whole nation states.  Money corrupts and it certainly did the Templars. 

Sure Phillip and the Pope weren't shall we say exactly idealistic bringers of justice either but hey I would have gone after them too. 

Hell by then the Templars were know to ride into towns like some sort of biker gang types and grab up any young women they could find and then hold forced orgies with them in local churches.  And no one could stop that behavior because they had the swords and held the economic power.  It didn't happen in all chapters but it happened in a lot by then.  They had gone from protecting unarmed pilgrims to preying upon the innocent.  They really REALLY needed to go. 

Of course this series is making them the heroes but they were anything but that by then. 

Just speculation but since Landry is fictional he will probably escape with his sidekick and others like a number of real Templars did and it will be about his adventures ever after which ... God, why didn't they cancel this show ... will lead him all over the place.  Majority of escaped Templars went to Spain and many later to Portugal like that documentary pointed out.  But with Isabella set to marry the English king and the Scots fighting against same and a few real Templars historically having gone there to fight with the Scots I'm voting that option as Landry morphs into (just kill me now) a Braveheart 2.0 type vs Isabella's new hubby.

Edited by green
  • Love 2

Where did you find that information green? I would love to read it. I’ve never heard those accusations before except for the rumours that were spread by Phillip ( who owed a great deal of money to the Temple Bank and who wanted to find their treasure  to finance the wars he planned to engage in. )

I thoroughly enjoyed Dan Jones theories as presented in the documentaries. 

Maybe I’m just a sucker for period pieces but I enjoyed the series and hope to see it’s return. No, some of the acting wasn’t stellar ( so looking at you Parcival) but it was definitely passable IMO. The battle scenes were well done and according to an interview given by Tom Cullen, the actors worked very hard with the horses and swords under the tutelage of instructors to make the action realistic. 

I can’t compare this to Vikings which struck gold with Travis Fimmel ‘s chemistry. I didn’t think I would continue watching after Ragnar’s death but I found that I was hooked.

On 2/10/2018 at 2:28 PM, nitrofishblue said:

What is the name of this documentary?

I've always been fascinated by the Knights Templar, and maybe that's why I hated this show so much. It was tolerable till the last episode, which was like a bad soap opera. And my pragmatic mind was going "Which boob are you going to feed that baby with, Landry--left or right? Better snap to it, then". 

But I did love the horses, if it's a horse it's interesting to me, I loved their drapes, and the costumes of both people and horses was great.

Tom Cullen is just terrible though. For me personally, there's absolutely nothing even remotely good looking about him--I'm thinking if you are the Queen of France, you'd at least pick someone handsome. Tancrede or even Gawain...Landry was just a dumb looking oaf with an ugly beard.  Who yelled a lot. Not very stoic. 

• Love 2

The name of the documentary started with Buried. They really covered the history of the Templars. How they accumulated enormous wealth and lands, They aslo detailed some of the Templar estates and all the caves they had for escape purposes. And yes, the Templars were not nice guys. They had a great well-trained army  that was better than all  armies of the kings. When I get the time I will find the name of the History Channel show. It was on just a few weeks ago.

I found the link http://www.history.com/shows/buried-knights-templar-and-the-holy-grail

• Love 3

Lasted to the end. Horrified there will be a season two. My question is this: How has Tom Cullen lived with Tatiana Maslany for 7 years and yet has not picked up any acting skills? Surely she could give him some tips. Especially if she watched this show lol

• Love 3
4 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Lasted to the end. Horrified there will be a season two. My question is this: How has Tom Cullen lived with Tatiana Maslany for 7 years and yet has not picked up any acting skills? Surely she could give him some tips. Especially if she watched this show lol

He really was abysmal wasn't he? 

I can't believe there will be a second season, the reviews are pretty awful...

• Love 1

When they went to having the queen pregnant, I nearly dropped the show. Babies never end well on TV. The story about it so far is boring. 

Why do they believe a random lamp with a blue piece of glass is somehow a magical message board telling them where the holy grail is?

After 3 eps, I’m only interested in Da Nogry and his machinations, but not terribly. 

And the king looks like the prince from Princess Bride. 

• Love 1

I laughed so hard during the finale, especially the last 15 minutes--Joan riding out, Landry doing his wooden emotions and holding the baby {I'm not even going to go into that} then the flowers and the horses?.. drop mic.

I'm sorry I bought this piece of crap.

On 2/2/2018 at 6:50 AM, leisawoo said:

The king in Mr.Rogers Neighborhood?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

I have the feeling that thy are going to time warp and turn her into Joan of Arc.  Which would bee a hoot.

Yeah I had thought that too. 

Landry:  "We will name her Joan after her mommy." 

Landry's Mum:  Go off and do lots of manly fun stuff you men get to do, son.  I will now give up any cool stuff I was planning to do and go off and raise her for you back in my old home town of Arc. 

Me:  Shoot me now, someone!

• Love 2
On 2/8/2018 at 11:29 AM, Stallion12 said:

Thought the finale was good. I'm assuming that wasn't the actual grail since the dude puled the letter from it?

This was my take on it:  That was the grail, and the note was a list of names with Landry's name at the end of it.  I'm assuming this was the lineage of Christ from a supposed marriage between Jesus and Mary Magdalene. 

This explains why the Pope changed his mind and let Landry go - because he knew he was Christ's descendant.  It also explains how the grail was more than just a cup, and how what Landry's mother said would change what the Pope knew of God.

Another evidence that it was the real grail:  It failed to heal Queen Joan, but it saved the life of their unborn daughter.

• Love 1

Wow.  I'm pleasantly shocked that this show got renewed.   Glad they are getting a new showrunner because the last one made lots of poor choices.  Mark Hamill will hopefully bring in some viewers.  I'm surprised they didn't have Jeremy Renner show up in a few episodes during the first season, that would have definitely drawn some interest.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/mark-hamill-joining-knightfall-renewed-season-2-at-history-1134279

• Love 1
On ‎7‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 4:58 PM, shrewd.buddha said:

As for the main Templar, Landry : I'm not sure I'm sympathetic to his cause.  Landry  didn't seem to have aged much in 15 years - in fact, he looked younger than he did in the battle of Acre. 

As with the racist stuff, I am quickly turned off by holier-than-thou religious hypocrites. If you don't like the rules, such as vows of celibacy, then leave and join a group whose rules you can abide by. Things might be a lot better today if all those popes, priests and templars didn't pretend to live by rules that are mostly impossible for humans to follow. 

On ‎15‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 12:32 AM, green said:

Hate the hypocrite "hero" guy.  He is total scum.  He was thinking, "Let us go screw my king's wife instead of looking for that clue about the Holy Grail.  Oh shit, right-hand-man caught me sneaking out so now I have to do this stupid duty thing instead."

On ‎22‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 5:56 PM, UNOSEZ said:

I keep waiting to see how the queens life is so bad but for now shes just some lady who was cheating in her husband... All his anger stuff has been off-screen or in the past.. All hes done on screen is try… 

I think you forgot that the classical romances are adulterous: Guinevere and Lancelot, Tristan and Isolde.  The heroine betrays her husband to whom she had been arried for dynastic reasons. The hero betrays his king and, in Tristan's case also his uncle, because love wins loyalty to one's lord and kin. On the hand, because of the latter was essential so that the weak society didn't break up, the result is death (which can be also mean that the couple is united in eternity).

What was most unhistoric was Joanna's dream that she could live with Laundry in Navarre. A monk (which a Tenplar is) and a King's wife living openly in sin would be excommunicated and then nobody would accept Joanna as Queen. And their baby would naturally have no right to inherit either of them.  

On ‎24‎.‎12‎.‎2017 at 2:45 AM, Evagirl said:

Also, what's with a queen who hasn't slept with the king in 2 years?  I would think during that period of time he wouldn't even allow it.  

That's right. The man had a right to sleep with his wife, and she had no right say no. He visited her, not vice versa.

Most of all, they had only one daughter, and the king needed a son. Even if he didn't like to sleep with her, his duty was to do so.

If the Queen couldn't bear a son, she was put in a nunnery. 

• Love 1