Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Chapter Seventy-One

MID-SEASON FINALE!

Jane is excited for her first book tour and brings Xo along for fun, but Alba decides last minute that she is going as well.  Things take an unexpected turn at their first stop which makes all three ponder what they should do. Rafael and Rogelio’s attempts to take care of Mateo while Jane is away hits a bump, but ultimately might have made things better between them.  Meanwhile, Petra thinks she has finally gotten a handle on the hotel, until a new problem arises. 

Promo:

Honestly, to go through all that just to end up with Jane and Rafael together again is really anticlimactic.

Also, Anezka better really be dead this time. And Petra better not impersonate her to get her hotel shares from Lisa.

• Love 4

Is it really Anezka who fell off the balcony, or could she have somehow overpowered Petra - perhaps with that injection she used in S2 - dressed her as herself, and threw her off?

2 hours ago, swimmyfish said:

Honestly, to go through all that just to end up with Jane and Rafael together again is really anticlimactic.

I'm wondering if this is the last season, and since Whatshisface was never going to be a viable endgame for Jane, they're going to have her end up with Rafael.

• Love 3
(edited)

As much as I love Jane and root for her, part of me is glad that her book didn't get a great review because not every writer is going to have a critically acclaimed bestseller, especially with their first book. But hey, it's only one review. It's possible that she'll get better reviews from other publications. It's also possible that her book will sell well regardless of the review(s). I'm not saying that I want to see Jane fail or anything, just that it's realistic that she might not get a bunch of glowing reviews. Besides, it's the age of the internet. If her book doesn't get prominent placement at big chain bookstores like Barnes & Noble, people can still buy her book online. And she could still get good reviews from bloggers. Maybe people will buy copies just because Fabian took naked pictures with her book. You never know!

You guys, it's been a year since Michael died and I'm still crying during episodes like this where they bring up how much his death impacted Jane. I am glad that the show continues to show that he is still a presence in her life because that's a much more realistic depiction of grief than we normally get on tv. Usually a character dies and they're never mentioned again. I love that what we see is Jane moving on with her life while still having her feel his loss and his influence on her.

Heh, I'm glad Anezka finally got to finish watching Game of Thrones!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

This episode gave me a lot of anxiety over my book which is a book no one has read. I'm so scared of getting bad reviews, and I've just started finding beta readers. It was not easy watching Jane get bad reviews, but I know theyre going to happen. 

Aside from these anxious thoughts, because what can you do, I really enjoyed this ep. With Alba/Xo/Jane all together, it felt like an episode of season one or two and it was fun! I also like watching Rafael and Rogelio together, and watching them bond.

I too cry every time Michael is mentioned, to be quiet honest. I wasn't even a huge Michael fan but the long lasting way they've handled his death and the way it effects Jane is incredible and beautiful. I'm glad she wrote this book, but i also want to know what she's going to write that will be her "best."  

I also really like the kid actors here, which is wild because usually i don't. But the girls playing Ellie and Anna and the little dude playing Mateo are all delightful! And adorable, which helps. 

• Love 3

*I have rewrite this again! Now, I won't remember everything I wrote* Anezka faked her death, then fell to actual death and landed on her own casket. I love this show. The entire episode was beautiful. Xo/Jane/Alba was beautiful. Jane/Mrs. C was beautiful. Jane/Rafael was beautiful. Ro/Rafael was cute but I have problem with the writers forgetting about S3. TPTB beat us over the with J/R endgame for 4 seasons. It was always going to happen. I ship them so of course I'm happy. ? But I know it won't be easy and they're not getting into a relationship when the series returns. Damn, Alba, I understand but that was cold.  

Edited by Simba122504
Used wrong phone again.
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I'm wondering if this is the last season, and since Whatshisface was never going to be a viable endgame for Jane, they're going to have her end up with Rafael.

Yeah, I got a very "series finale of Friends" vibe from this episode. How are the ratings? Is renewal for next year in doubt?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, NeenerNeener said:

Yeah, I got a very "series finale of Friends" vibe from this episode. How are the ratings? Is renewal for next year in doubt?

I don't know about ratings, but moving a show to a Friday night slot is usually the equivalent of putting it out to pasture.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Yes, I was wondering that as well since Whatshisface and his whole storyline felt like it was going somewhere in the episode right before he was abruptly written out. They can argue that he was just the rebound, they can argue that's just how it goes in life sometimes (all true), but narratively, and even from a telenovela storyline angle, it feels weirdly pointless and as if they suddenly freaked out and changed course. It was inelegant.

And now they're rushing straight back into Jane/Rafael (Jafael? Rane? What is it?). Because at some point before the end of the show, they have to have Rafael and Jane actually have sex.

I do hope this isn't the end, but I wonder.

I loved everything about this episode. Everything. Well, ok, maybe except for how Alba answered poor Jorge.

Yes, I am a TeamRafael! fan but this was not why I loved the episode. The end of the episode was just the cherry on the sundae for me.

I loved the episode because I actually really loved Angry!Jane! I felt terrible for her but I was glad the writers went there with her.

I loved that the three women fought, made up, cried, yelled, laugh, DANCED! their whole roller coaster was awesome. 

I loved that Rafael affirmed himself as a father to Mateo. I loved that he and Rogelio started to get closer.

I loved all of the flashbacks to 3 years ago. Without wanting to see a whole season of Jane grieving Micheal, I always have wanted to see bits and pieces of that period. 

I loved that Patricia finally forgave Jane, even if there was nothing to forgive her for. That scene made me cry.

Ok maybe there is one more thing I didn't really like. The whole Aneska/Magda/Petra thing needs to be buried. No pun intended.

Edited by Bouffe
Because good spelling is important.
  • Love 7
10 minutes ago, Bouffe said:

I loved all of the flashbacks to 3 years ago. Without wanting to see a whole season of Jane grieving Micheal, I always have wanted to see bits and pieces of that period. 

I loved that Patricia finally forgave Jane, even if there was nothing to forgive her for. That scene made me cry.

Me too! I thought it was done wonderfully. I never necessarily considered myself Team Raf or Team Michael (mostly Team Jane), but this ep may have made me ride-or-die for Rafael. I love that he has been so supportive of her writing and has pushed her at every step. Also, I never even considered what Michael’s death meant to Mateo healthwise. (Clearly he loved Michael - I mean that could he jump to the conclusion that he could die, too.) not a parent - never occurred to me. 

Patricia is when I cried. I loved the narrator: “that was the only review that mattered.”

loved all of it!

• Love 4

But hey, it's only one review. It's possible that she'll get better reviews from other publications.

I'm pretty sure the magazine that reviewed her book was The Big One. A friend who is a romance writer gave me a couple of copies and the readership and coverage are very extensive. (And I have already forgotten the name or I would google to see if it's the real thing.)

Romance readers read a LOT. And they read paper books. So getting a recommendation puts you in bookstores which means sales.

Fifty Shades of Grey got horrible reviews.  Justifiably, IMO, from the one excerpt I've seen, and it didn't hurt sales. If a book is poorly written but is lowest common denominator enough on elements with wide appeal, it could take off anyway.

• Love 2
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:54 PM, NeenerNeener said:

TV By the Numbers lists the show as being likely to be renewed.

I'm sure there's a surprising twist to both cliffhangers, otherwise they might as well wrap up the show in the following episode. I mean, Jane and Rafael get together, what more there is to it? And as for Petra, her entire purpose for almost two seasons now has been to be tormented by Anezka, now that she's gone, Petra is finally free to live her life again, so there.

So, I think:

1) Jane is going to reject Rafael (and/or Adam is going to come back as he realizes he can't live without Jane)

2) Anezka's death is not an accident and there's going to be a whodunnit? mystery about it, with Petra possibly being a suspect or even going to jail - an innocent person being imprisoned for a murder they didn't commit is Telenovela 101, I'm kinda surprised they've lasted over 3 seasons without it.

Unless it's actually Petra who's dead, in which case F U SHOW AND GO TO HELL.

Edited by Joana
  • Love 3

It does look bad for Petra. She was in the room fighting with Anezka right before she fell. And it better have been Anezka who died.

I think, moment of Rafael's passion aside, they would actually be very cautious about getting together. They need to stay functional for Mateo's sake, and a renewed romance and potential breakup AGAIN could definitely stir up fresh turmoil between them. Plus Rafael might remember that he was second choice before and wonder if he's really okay with being second choice just because her first choice is no longer an option. I suspect they'll be together eventually but it might not be happily ever after quite so soon. Or maybe they'll decide to let them be happily ever after and show that they can still do fun and interesting plots after the question of romance is settled. I think they should get married and then start an underground railroad/home for unofficial refugees or other undocumented immigrants at particular risk.

My favorite part of the episode was Jane and Alba dancing.

• Love 2
On December 12, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Enginerd said:

I think, moment of Rafael's passion aside, they would actually be very cautious about getting together. They need to stay functional for Mateo's sake, and a renewed romance and potential breakup AGAIN could definitely stir up fresh turmoil between them. Plus Rafael might remember that he was second choice before and wonder if he's really okay with being second choice just because her first choice is no longer an option. I suspect they'll be together eventually but it might not be happily ever after quite so soon. Or maybe they'll decide to let them be happily ever after and show that they can still do fun and interesting plots after the question of romance is settled. I think they should get married and then start an underground railroad/home for unofficial refugees or other undocumented immigrants at particular risk.

I agree with you - I don't think they will put Jane and Rafael together anytime soon. I think they will take their time with it.

Although I do like the underground railroad idea! ;)

PLEASE tell me this is the for real end of  Anezka! Dont you dare lie to me, Latin Lover Narrator! I did laugh pretty hard at the name tags he gave Petra and Anezka, that was pretty funny. 

Oh my God, literally every time they talk about Michael or show flashbacks of him, I start to cry. Its like TV onions. Mention Michael, and my eyes start watering instantly. They really are handling her grief really well (although I still wish we could get more flashbacks to the immediate aftermath of his death) and I must say, as much as I still hate that they killed Michael off, I do appreciate that they have shown it to be an appropriately huge, life altering event. When Michael's mom showed up and told Jane she loved the book, the tears started again. And again. Forever. 

So, Rafael and Jane, huh? I always suspected that they were end game, and if this is it, its a pretty anticlimactic. At least this was a good Rafael episode, and I liked him bonding with Rogelio and seeing him being a good dad. At least he`s a better choice than Random Adam. 

So glad that Alba basically said what I've been thinking. Maybe Rogelio had a suspicion, but Xo was the one who knew for sure, and never said anything. Even after years had gone by and Rogelio was successful and well known, she still didn't say anything. While Rogelio was in the wrong for not following up, I still say Rogelio keeps the moral high ground on this one. 

Loved the 3 women dancing on the bar. Was surprised at how Alba responded to Jorge - it was cruel to him and she is not usually cruel. 

The flashbacks with Rafael always being supportive of Jane's writing were great and I loved Patricia coming to the reading. 

• Love 3
On 12/24/2017 at 11:17 AM, LisaM said:

The flashbacks with Rafael always being supportive of Jane's writing were great

What I loved about the flashbacks is that it's clear that his support was not contingent upon Rafael being in love with Jane. Not that there's anything wrong with a significant other supportive/encouraging someone's career (as they should!), but I appreciate that we saw Rafael continuing to support Jane's writing when they were just friends because he truly believes in her and, more importantly, he wants her to pursue her dreams.

• Love 3