Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E08: Shirley Ballas, Mel Gibson, Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg, John Lithgow, Kesha

• Start Topic

Graham Norton is joined by Strictly judge Shirley Ballas and actors Mel Gibson, Will Ferrell, Mark Wahlberg and John Lithgow, with music from Kesha, who performs Learn to Let Go.

Graham is off the week of November 17 and back on November 24th on BBC.

Mark Wahlberg is such a zero.  Mel Gibson somehow looks like an ape.  John Lithgow is charming.  The only thing I know about Kesha is that Jenelle on Teen Mom asked to have some sort of criminal court appearance rescheduled because she had tickets to a Kesha concert and she's like her idol, dude.

At least Shirley Ballas had a British accent. 

• Love 1

Whoever the hero is who edited the US airing to minimize contributions from Mel fucking Gibson, I salute you. I was kinda hoping Kesha would have had razors in her hat's brim to slice him on the couch.

Kesha, that's just too much pink. Throttle it back, honey, for all that's holy.

I booed at Graham's quip about Dolly Parton having back problems. Cheap and hacky. Not every quip can be gold, I guess. (Dolly's a treasure. Do not come at Dolly. I will cut you with Kesha's razor hat.) (Kesha's razor hat is a figment I guess I'm sticking to.) (I am not sorry.)

I loved the Red Chair lady's leopard dress. And I will never get tired of calling somebody 'Ginger Minge.'

This was such a bad episode. It makes you wonder about all the people that are "done" in Hollywood if Mel Gibson can come back. 

1 hour ago, attica said:

Whoever the hero is who edited the US airing to minimize contributions from Mel fucking Gibson, I salute you.

Do they really do this. I guess I never really thought about it. But with all the episodes that were slimmed down for time I guess it makes sense. 

I love that the 4 guys were saying they would hangout after work and between takes but they all looked like they never met. They didn't seem to interact at all. 

Looking forward to next week because I love P!nk even if she is only on for the last 10 minutes.

• Love 1

Do not come at Dolly.

Graham and Dolly are actually pals. Wouldn't you love to hang with them?

Looking forward to next week because I love P!nk even if she is only on for the last 10 minutes

P!nk is on for the whole show.

• Love 1

The dancing judge was from another planet.

I wasn't paying much attention at the beginning and couldn't figure out why Neil DeGrasse Tyson was the wrong color.  Then Gibson said something and I figured it out.

It's always great when someone in the chair wants to be flipped!

I was really dreading seeing Mel Gibson, but I agree, thanks to whoever did the editing to make him as minimal as possible. (I feel particularly let down by what an awful person he turned out to be because I started following him yonks ago when he was still making Aussie movies that played in art-house theaters here. I took such joy in watching him turn into a superstar. And then, King of the Jerks. So devastating.)

The British dancing lady was eccentrically delightful. John Lithgow was charming.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, notcreative enough said:

Do they really do this.

Oh, I have no idea. I mean, I know they do cuts for the US air, but I have no idea if the victims of the cuts are chosen with anything in particular in mind. If not, it's a happy coincidence!

10 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I feel particularly let down by what an awful person he turned out to be because I started following him yonks ago when he was still making Aussie movies that played in art-house theaters here.

I know. Was there ever a more beautiful creature in a good movie than Mel in Year of Living Dangerously?

• Love 1

Farrell and Lithgow saved the show, IMO. I loved Lithgow's story about crying on a plane while watching Terms of Endearment, which he was in. Hee.

44 minutes ago, attica said:
11 hours ago, ChicagoCita said:

I feel particularly let down by what an awful person he turned out to be because I started following him yonks ago when he was still making Aussie movies that played in art-house theaters here.

I know. Was there ever a more beautiful creature in a good movie than Mel in Year of Living Dangerously?

Seriously. He was astoundingly gorgeous. 

Wahlberg is such a bro douche.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Farrell and Lithgow saved the show, IMO.

Totally agree, Lithgow is endlessly charming.

And because it needs to be said, Wahlberg is still a huge asshole.  From the construction boots to encouraging the chair-flip of the Anglo-Ethiopian woman, a complete and utter asshole.

2 hours ago, attica said:

1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Seriously. He was astoundingly gorgeous. 

I still remember to this day being in a movie theater (for a movie I've totally forgotten) and seeing the coming attraction for TYOLD, seeing MG in all his gorgeousness and asking "Who is that?!?!"

And I must give Graham credit, that couch had the potential to be something horrible, but somehow he made it work.

• Love 1

A few years ago Wahlberg did a full court press rehabilitation tour - interviews about how he attends Daily Mass, how he's a hands-on dad. Turns out the reason was, he wanted a pardon for a hate-crime conviction in Massachusetts when he was younger. And the reason he wanted the pardon was because he is a part owner of a burger chain with his brothers, and convicted felons can't get liquor licenses.

And the stuff he was charged for was serious - beating a Vietnamese man to the point he lost sight in one eye, and throwing rocks at black school girls.

Turns out even while going to Mass every day (allegedly) it never occurred to him to apologize to his victims.

In any event he did not get the pardon and he is back to his asshole self.

• Love 6
8 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

He was astoundingly gorgeous. 

If there is any consolation for him turning out to be such an awful person, it's that his good looks have not only faded, but disappeared (as was evident on Graham's show). I was surprised on the few occasions he spoke to hear such a strong American accent. Although he is American by birth, there used to be a lot of Aussie in his accent.

I remember seeing him in Tim and Gallipoli, and I see no resemblance at all between that young man and the man who sat on Graham's couch. Lots of mileage on him.

• Love 1

Aside from Gibson and Wahlberg, I thought this was a great show. Ferrell was on fire. So funny. That clip of his singing was hilarious. I think if I had been there, sitting thru the whole song, I couldn't have stopped laughing. 

And Lithgow is one of my favorites. Funny and charming and a great storyteller. 

On the other hand... I was actually on edge for some of the show as I wondered what Graham would talk to Gibson about. I remarked on this to my sister, and she didn't know what I was talking about. I simply said, "Because of his past." My sister said, "Oh. Well, we all make mistakes." 

And then there was Wahlberg. My sister loves him. I don't know why. She thought he was great. I didn't tell her, but I thought he came across as trying too hard to be cool. 

Anyway, the dancing instructor/judge was nice and fun. I liked Kesha's performance.

I couldn't understand what the Red Chair lady said. I hated that Wahlberg encouraged the dance instructor to flip her.

10 hours ago, peeayebee said:

I couldn't understand what the Red Chair lady said.

A recap:

Spoiler

She said she was originally from Ethiopia, and now is in London with her own cafe. When she first came to London, she worked temp jobs in typing pools. One day, she asked for some instruction on some task, and her coworker advised her to go talk to the supervisor, whom he referred to as Ginger Minge. So she did, calling the supervisor by that insult, since she didn't know it 1) wasn't a name; 2) was an insult. Hence her embarrassment.

• Love 1
On 12/4/2017 at 8:51 PM, kassygreene said:

I dunno.  He looked better than his mugshots.

He's still a raging tiny dick.

i thought he looked fine for his age. he was gorgeous, but we all age don't we?

what the hell is wrong with mark walhberg?  i do love some of his movies but he seems like a douche in real life. mel gibson just did not say much and i found will ferrel and john lithgow tremendously entertaining. love then and i buy them as father and son.

the dance judge woman was ok ( her son on dancing with the stars, he doesn't have an accent does he) and the singer sucked but i am of the generation that feels very little good music has come about since the 70's early 80's. 

On 12/5/2017 at 9:56 AM, attica said:

A recap:

Reveal hidden contents

She said she was originally from Ethiopia, and now is in London with her own cafe. When she first came to London, she worked temp jobs in typing pools. One day, she asked for some instruction on some task, and her coworker advised her to go talk to the supervisor, whom he referred to as Ginger Minge. So she did, calling the supervisor by that insult, since she didn't know it 1) wasn't a name; 2) was an insult. Hence her embarrassment.

captions , always captions when this show is on!

On 12/4/2017 at 10:02 AM, sugarbaker design said:

Totally agree, Lithgow is endlessly charming.

Mr. Outlier and I were walking on the upper west side a few years ago, and I noticed Lithgow come out of a building in front of us.  He was wearing a very nice looking overcoat and was quite the presence.  We followed him for several blocks just for the hell of it, and then released him. 

And I must give Graham credit, that couch had the potential to be something horrible, but somehow he made it work.

I thought the part where Ballas critiqued the dancing the various people had done in movie roles was odd, since we couldn't see what she was talking about.  Graham explained that they didn't have the money to show the clips, so Ballas looked at them on her own.  Seemed pretty lame.

On 12/6/2017 at 2:04 PM, msrachelj said:

what the hell is wrong with mark walhberg?  i do love some of his movies but he seems like a douche in real life.

I was quite taken with his underwear ad, but I'm embarrassed to admit even that in light of his real-life self.

On 12/6/2017 at 2:04 PM, msrachelj said:

captions , always captions when this show is on!

I had the captions on, but still had to look up "minge."  But at least I knew what to look up.

I noticed Lithgow come out of a building in front of us.  He was wearing a very nice looking overcoat and was quite the presence.  

I've seen Lithgow on stage a couple of times, and he does have a great presence.  I'm seeing his new one-man Broadway show at Christmas.  Jellies????

20 hours ago, Quof said:

Jellies????

Major Jelly!  I saw him many years ago in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, he and Norman Leo Butz were amazing!  When the cast were making their curtain calls, JL stopped the audience from clapping, explained about the Broadway AIDS charity, that cast members would be in the lobby with cans for donations, so please donate.  When he was finished he exclaimed "Please continue with your standing ovation!!!"

Love him!

• Love 1