Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Chapter Seventy

Jane's book is finally being released but her plans to have a party at the local bookshop where she was inspired to be a writer hit a snag. Always wanting to help Jane, Rogelio devises a plan to save the day, but one of his archrivals threatens to ruin the day. Rafael finds a job, but it is not exactly what he was hoping for. Meanwhile, Petra has come up with an interesting strategy to get the Marbella back, but Rafael wants nothing to do with it.

Promo:

Clunky product placement!

Did Jane have Adam design the cover of her novel about Michael?  His response of "it's not about me" in response to her comment "how about that cover" made me think so.  Please tell me I am wrong!

Wow! Anezka hung herself?! That is a lot darker that this show usually goes.  Do you guys think that it’s Petra’s fault? Cause I don’t know. On the one hand Petra’s minipulation was the immediate cause of her death. But people do manipule others a lot on the show. Anezka is constantly being manipulated. Either way Petra’s going to be dealing with some pretty heavy stuff, not to meantion who does the hotel go to? 

I am am so excited that Adam is going. I never liked him as a person or a boyfriend for Jane, she was always so much better than him. She deserves a lot more than being heart broken for a guy like that. It really sucks that he broke it off right before her book tour, it shows how truly terrible he was. 

I loved the Jane Rafael scene! It made my heart melt 

5 minutes ago, elle said:

Did Jane have Adam design the cover of her novel about Michael?  His response of "it's not about me" in response to her comment "how about that cover" made me think so.  Please tell me I am wrong!

I think that the “it’s not about me” was his attempt to distance himself because he was about to break her heart. But it would be nice if the cover was about the person she actually wrote it for/about!

TV shows almost never make me cry, but I teared up when Jane and Isabel Allende were talking about grief. It's such a campy and silly show for the most part, but moments like that is really why I love it.

I don't believe Agneska committed suicide. Either Magda had her killed because Agneska blew their Carl cover to Petra, or Rose did because she somehow found out that Agneska and Magda conned Luisa out of her hotel shares.

I hope Xo doesn't stay mad at Ro for long. There's been more than enough drama between them; I just want them to stay happily married through the remainder of the show.

Good riddance to Tyler Posey whose character's name I've already forgotten.

• Love 7
31 minutes ago, alex hoffman said:

I think that the “it’s not about me” was his attempt to distance himself because he was about to break her heart. But it would be nice if the cover was about the person she actually wrote it for/about!

So, Adam did not draw the cover, right? How is the cover not about Michael?

Just now, chocolatine said:

I hope Xo doesn't stay mad at Ro for long. There's been more than enough drama between them; I just want them to stay happily married through the remainder of the show.

Me too!  

I thought Jane was too harsh on Rogelio.  Yes, he does go overboard, but she seems to go along with it until things go wrong.

I am glad I was spoiled about Anezka.   I did not watch the last the minutes.

• Love 1
57 minutes ago, elle said:

Yes, Adam designed the cover of Jane's novel.  It was a few episodes back, when Jane's publisher is sending her various covers to choose from and she hates them all so as a surprise, Adam designs a cover for her.  

55 minutes ago, alex hoffman said:

Wow! Anezka hung herself?! That is a lot darker that this show usually goes.  

No, Anezka didn't hang herself.  At the end of the episode, as the paramedics are taking her body down, the narrator says, "I'll give you a little clue, she didn't kill herself."  So I guess that's going to be the mystery for the second half of the season, who killed Anezka.

• Love 11
3 minutes ago, Snapdragon said:

Yes, Adam designed the cover of Jane's novel.  It was a few episodes back, when Jane's publisher is sending her various covers to choose from and she hates them all so as a surprise, Adam designs a cover for her. 

Oh, bleah, etc *blows raspberry*!

(thanks for the clarification)

• Love 2

Oh all those times that Jane was flashing back to Michael made me teary-eyed. It clearly highlighted to me that her love for Michael was so much greater than whatever she felt for Adam. And I am still not caring if/when she falls for Rafael again.

• Love 10

I enjoyed this episode! 

I liked Rafael taking care of his family without resulting to scheming (finally). I liked that he took a small job, even if it was humiliating for him, so that he can so something, and be closer to his kids. I also LOVED how teary eyed he was when Jane had him read the acknowledgements at the back of the book.

Jane was great throughout, although I thought she was too harsh on Rogelio. Glad they had that talk tho.

And ugh, poor Xo...

Good riddance, Adam. 

Aneska... Ugh. I suspect Magda, of course.

• Love 5

Belated realization...did Jane write Fabian's monologue in English?  Isn't the telenovela filmed in Spanish? They made a big deal about the hackneyed phrases that she used, would he be able to translate them to have the same meaning?

• Love 4

Anybody find it odd that when Jane was ready to tell Adam she loved him they didn’t show her with the glowy heart? Maybe there’s a reason, but I find it odd they didn’t use the same love signal they’ve always used for her with Michael and Rafael.

• Love 3
On 11/17/2017 at 7:12 PM, elle said:

"People en Español?" Or are we talking about her using the hands free trunk on her car? I rolled my eyes at that, but it's actually way more subtle than some of the older stuff, like when (IIRC) Rafael bought her a car so she wouldn't have take the bus anymore (back when she was still pregnant), and she raved about the features. Or, all those Target bags and actual trips to Target the characters would have! There have been other pretty bad offenders that are in the tip of my tongue, but I can't place right now.

Now that Adam's out of the picture, and Fabian all but pissed on the ashes of that burned bridge, I wonder who the next love interest will be? In the promo for next week,

Spoiler

it looked like Rafael was going with her on her mini book tour, so that might reignite old feelings, even though I like them more as close friends and coparents.

What happened to Dennis, Michael's friend? He and Jane got close after Michael's death, and seemed to have good chemistry, but held off because the grief was too raw for them both. Have we seen him much post-time-jump yet?

I think the obvious suspect for Anezka's murderer is Magda, after Anezka starts to wriggle out from her control, but my money is on Rose pulling some strings to get the majority shares back to Luisa. Or maybe it's another villain, TBD. Or it's like reverse psychology, and the twist is that it's the most obvious suspect from the beginning. One of the great things about this show is how unafraid it is to go in a wildly different direction than you'd think.

4 hours ago, elle said:

Belated realization...did Jane write Fabian's monologue in English?  Isn't the telenovela filmed in Spanish? They made a big deal about the hackneyed phrases that she used, would he be able to translate them to have the same meaning?

Good catch! Some English idioms do have direct translations with Spanish, but Spanish has mostly it's own idioms and cliches. Most likely it was all in English for the benefit of accessibility to English-speaking viewers. I expect it's going to be hand-waved away, but it'd be funny if it comes back to bite Jane, with Fabian upset that the writers refused the monologue because it's in the wrong language. ?

Edited by jaigurudeva

Fabian was a jerk but I appreciate that in the end when Jane came through and wrote the hacky monologue he wanted but People wasn't going to come, Fabian was willing to try to help Jane get publicity for the bookstore. I'm glad that  despite his jerky behavior earlier, he was willing to do the right thing.

I loved how well they showed Jane's happiness tinged with sadness. I think that even if the book weren't about Michael, she would still feel that, just knowing that he wasn't there to share in her happiest moments. But because the book is based on their love story, that just makes the happiness even more bittersweet for her. I really wish Rafael had been able to be at the party for her, partly because they are so good as friends, but also because he was the one who encouraged her to do it. Her discussion with Isabel Allende had me in tears.

I feel like Magda is too obvious a choice for Anezka's murder so I think it will end up being someone else. I felt bad for Anezka when she was talking to her Scott shrine and telling him that he was the only one who she could really trust. She's no angel. She has willingly done terrible things. But it's also terrible to go through life knowing you can't trust your own mother or sister, and she's not as shrewd as Petra so she was an easy target for Magda to manipulate.

I'm glad Adam is gone. He wasn't the worst or anything but he just never did anything for me.

Someone needs to teach Rafael how to create a resume out of only one job: list your positions/responsibilities as separate jobs and bullet point the different responsibilities for each one! I'm glad Jane convinced him to take the bartending job. Not every job is going to be glamorous or fun or cater to your everchanging schedule. Not too sound too Jane here, but that's how a lot of people's jobs are. Not everyone gets a huge office with a view and an assistant and the ability to leave work when you are taking your kid to swim class in the middle of the day. Not everyone has their dream job but everyone has bills to pay.

• Love 6

Its been a year since Michael died, and I still get teary eyed whenever they talk about him or flashback to him and Jane's love. I can totally understand how Jane would have such mixed feelings about her success, even if it wasn't a book about her and Michael. I honestly cant imagine the last time a fictional death hit me as hard as Michael, and its still hurting me. I do like how it was used this week. I really do get why they did the time skip, but I think it would have helped me if we had seen more of the immediate aftermath. 

Isabel Allende! So awesome! I feel in love with magical realism (especially the Latin American kind) in college, and I've read many of Isabel Allendes books, so I was super excited to see so much of her this week. That is a lady who knows a thing or two about a thing or two, shes a perfect spirit guide/real guide for Jane. her life is kind of magical realism anyway. 

Jane was rather harsh on Rogelio, even if its good that they hashed those guilt issues out. I do hope that Xo gets over this quickly. Rogelio might have had an inkling that she had a daughter early on, but he clearly had no clue when he finally met Jane, and he was thrilled to get to know Jane by then, so I still say Xo was the one more in the wrong here. 

Bye Adam! Kind of weird that they spent so much time on the guy if he was just going to run off after a few episodes, but I cant say I am going to miss him. He was just always ok for me. I do feel bad for Jane and Mateo, considering Mateo has gotten to know him. 

Rafael tearing up at Jane's book acknowledgement was a really sweet moment. 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
20 hours ago, LaughingOne said:

Anybody find it odd that when Jane was ready to tell Adam she loved him they didn’t show her with the glowy heart? Maybe there’s a reason, but I find it odd they didn’t use the same love signal they’ve always used for her with Michael and Rafael.

Nice catch!  It should mean that he never was her true luv. 

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Rafael tearing up at Jane's book acknowledgement was a really sweet moment. 

Yes it was!

and..

17 hours ago, jaigurudeva said:

even though I like them more as close friends and coparents.

Me too!  I thought that the above mentioned scene was an example of how close they have become, know each other, and love for each other but not necessarily one of romantic love.

17 hours ago, jaigurudeva said:

Or are we talking about her using the hands free trunk on her car?

This.  What made my eyes spin roll was the scene went immediately into that brand's car commercial.

• Love 1

Hey, Rafael. If those hotel uniforms are so hideous and embarrassing (and they ARE; they look so cheap and tacky), why have you been making other people wear them? The Marbella needs to step the quality back up. Maybe they can do another makeover once Rafael gets it back. Also, if he put some effort into the bartending, learned out to actually make the drinks and displayed some charm, he could make pretty good tips. Not hotel owner money, but probably as much as Jane's making or more.

Why are Xo and Ro even fighting? Since Rogelio knew that Xo was pregnant, they must both have known all these years that he knew that there was at least a possibility that a child had been born and was living. Why would Xo think he had never wondered about that? Probably after awhile he figured that if she'd kept the child, she would have let him know, so she must have gone with abortion or adoption or had a miscarriage, but he still wouldn't have been sure and would have wondered what had come of the situation. But since she hadn't contacted him, maybe he felt it best to stay away and not intrude.

Well, Adam served his purpose of making Jane realize she might be able to fall in love again. Maybe next time she'll find someone more on her wavelength.

• Love 2
On 19.11.2017. at 6:17 PM, tennisgurl said:

Bye Adam! Kind of weird that they spent so much time on the guy if he was just going to run off after a few episodes, but I cant say I am going to miss him.

This is one feature the show needs to drop ASAP. Remember Catalina, Mutter, Derek (?, Raf's half-brother), Michael's ex-GF Andie and the gang? Who were those people and why were we subjected to them in such large doses?

Although, are we sure this storyline is over? Perhaps he's going to realize he can't live without her and come back to Miami? Just about she's ready to move on, of course.

I feel strangely sorry for Anezka. Underneath the cartoonish caricature they've made her, she was a deeply troubled young woman that no one took seriously, including the show itself.

I'm not sure if Rogelio suspecting Xiomara kept the pregnancy is a retcon or not. I mean, it would be totally plausible, but it somehow feels off in the light of what we've seen of their relationship. We'll see how it plays out.

Those flashbacks of Michael killed me. Man, how I loved this show back then.

• Love 3

Bartenders don't cry. For a struggling author, Jane sure has cash for a new whip every week. *I'm making fun of the product placement*  The only person who makes sense as the killer of Anezka is Magda. A Rose connection is stretching it. Now, they're two murder mysteries. The unnamed guy Rose killed and Anezka. The series once again proved Jane and Rafael are endgame. Michael was at the beginning of the book and Rafael is at the end of the book. And he will always be the one who believed in her writing first. Even she mentioned in this episode that he was the one who told her to start writing again after Michael's passing. That's how this book about Michael came to be. I'm glad Adam is gone, but both Jane and Adam sure gave up easily. And her heart never glowed.

On 11/18/2017 at 11:37 PM, jaigurudeva said:

"People en Español?" Or are we talking about her using the hands free trunk on her car? I rolled my eyes at that, but it's actually way more subtle than some of the older stuff, like when (IIRC) Rafael bought her a car so she wouldn't have take the bus anymore (back when she was still pregnant), and she raved about the features. Or, all those Target bags and actual trips to Target the characters would have! There have been other pretty bad offenders that are in the tip of my tongue, but I can't place right now.

Now that Adam's out of the picture, and Fabian all but pissed on the ashes of that burned bridge, I wonder who the next love interest will be? In the promo for next week,

Reveal hidden contents

it looked like Rafael was going with her on her mini book tour, so that might reignite old feelings, even though I like them more as close friends and coparents.

What happened to Dennis, Michael's friend? He and Jane got close after Michael's death, and seemed to have good chemistry, but held off because the grief was too raw for them both. Have we seen him much post-time-jump yet?

I think the obvious suspect for Anezka's murderer is Magda, after Anezka starts to wriggle out from her control, but my money is on Rose pulling some strings to get the majority shares back to Luisa. Or maybe it's another villain, TBD. Or it's like reverse psychology, and the twist is that it's the most obvious suspect from the beginning. One of the great things about this show is how unafraid it is to go in a wildly different direction than you'd think.

Good catch! Some English idioms do have direct translations with Spanish, but Spanish has mostly it's own idioms and cliches. Most likely it was all in English for the benefit of accessibility to English-speaking viewers. I expect it's going to be hand-waved away, but it'd be funny if it comes back to bite Jane, with Fabian upset that the writers refused the monologue because it's in the wrong language. ?

Ro bought her a car is S1 not Raf.

• Love 1

I'm so in love with this serie <3 but one thing that has been bugging me is how sinrostro (Rose) fake her own death, when we saw her dead body ....

Edited by Lidi
2 hours ago, Jillybean said:

What do the writers have against LinkedIn? They must have had a very different experience with it than I have. Most I know use it as a very legitimate networking tool. 

I thought the LinkedIn reaction was hilarious! I have a LinkedIn account which I never use, and I am constantly getting repeat reminders from it, frequently about link requests from people I've never heard of who aren't even in my industry or state. I'm sure it's useful to someone, but I don't get it.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Lidi said:

I'm so in love with this serie <3 but one thing that has been bugging me is how sinrostro (Rose) fake her own death, when we saw her dead body ....

That was someone with her face but not her.

Edited by Simba122504

If this was Adam's last episode I'm a little disappointed that none of his "show" gimmicks returned. He was obviously never going to be long term and I'm not broken up that he's gone but I liked him. 

Magda is the logical pick which is why I think it was Catherine and somehow she's going to own the Marbella by the end of the season.

• Love 1

Were we supposed to be mad at Adam for leaving Jane? Because getting your dream job in your 20s with good pay kind of trumps a relationship that's lasted all of a few weeks. I think he absolutely did the right thing, and was very gracious about it by not telling her before the book party (because he wanted her to enjoy herself) and not going to the party (because he knew it was unfair to her to have him in the pictures). I wasn't his biggest fan, but in the end it seems like he was a good guy doing the right thing both for himself and for her. I don't get her righteous indignation, unless she was expecting them to try a long-distance relationship (which would have been ridiculous at this point). 

• Love 11

Adam's entire existence was an afterthought and the stalling tactic on the writers' part to move onto Jafael later in the season. Considering Jane already had feelings for Rafael (and her heart glowed) as far as the late season 3, I think it's safe to say in-the-show she got afraid and in a way backslided to some sort of a teen romance. She and Adam were always from different worlds, and he seemed like waaay too immature to be with Jane.

• Love 1