Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: Copper Sun

Neurochick
  • Start Topic

Watching tonight’s episode.

Turning this show off forever.

When did Darla tell RA that Blue wasn’t his son?  Didn’t she tell hi she wasn’t sure?

Why would RA tell his family that mess?

See, I just finished the Poldark series, and there were about four huge secrets that never came to light and it was okay.  You don’t need to just spew all your secrets.

Oh and fuck you Charley.  I hope that white family takes all your land because Karma is a bitch.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

When did Darla tell RA that Blue wasn’t his son?  Didn’t she tell hi she wasn’t sure?

I'm confused about this as well. Darla said that Blue might not be RA's. She didn't flat out say that Blue isn't his at all. RA just tuned everything else out and heard "not be yours."

Though this is meaty material for Bianca and Kofi, I'm not a fan of this storyline. It's so unnecessary. I'm also side eyeing Ava for saying this, via Buzzefeed

"When I was casting Kofi and Ethan, I thought to myself, There's a melanin thing going on with the two of them," said DuVernay. "They were both the best actors for their respective roles, so I said to myself, I wonder if we can make a storyline where the love is so blinding that no one notices or asks the question of if Darla – a very fair-skinned women – and Kofi – a very brown-skinned man – can produce a son that's Ethan's color? Where we could build the idea that the love between them is so strong that it blinds you to the genetic realities and possibilities, but that when you hear that he's not his son biologically you say, 'Oooh, right.'"

I never questioned Blue's paternity. I just thought he favored Darla's side of the family. We come in all shades.

1 hour ago, Neurochick said:

Oh and fuck you Charley.  I hope that white family takes all your land because Karma is a bitch.

Eh, I get why she put Darla out. She kept a monumental lie going for years, so I'm not surprised that Charely fired her. It was still tough to watch, though.

• Love 4

I’m really side eyeing the writing in this episode.

Darla said Blue might not be his. Leave it to RA to hear only what he wants to hear. I know RA is upset but the way he is being babied and acting is over the top. Seriously, Darla did not think this out. Did she really not understand the consequences of telling RA Blue might not be his and how she might face some retaliation since she works or rather worked for his sister? It’s so heavy handed and makes a good setup for Darla to leave but the way it was handled it’s so eye rolling.

It’s really hard to believe no one questioned Blue’s paternity given Darla’s background. Not even a casual line, “I thought Blue might not be RA since Darla was using and they haven’t been together long but RA was so certain… blah, blah, blah….”

The way Charley continues to be surprised at Landry and Boudreaux tactics undermines her so call strong business skills. She also talks too much.

Not buying Charley and Remy would both have their phones off with RA calling them especially with the Landry stuff going on. Yes, they were talking to Nova but to not check their phones after multiple calls? 

30 day suspension for Micah? That’s really harsh. Maybe a couple days or a week but a month? I know it's private school but can they suspend Micah without talking to his parents? 

3 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I'm confused about this as well. Darla said that Blue might not be RA's. She didn't flat out say that Blue isn't his at all. RA just tuned everything else out and heard "not be yours."

Though this is meaty material for Bianca and Kofi, I'm not a fan of this storyline. It's so unnecessary. I'm also side eyeing Ava for saying this, via Buzzefeed

I never questioned Blue's paternity. I just thought he favored Darla's side of the family. We come in all shades.

Eh, I get why she put Darla out. She kept a monumental lie going for years, so I'm not surprised that Charely fired her. It was still tough to watch, though.

I'm definitely side eyeing Ava for that. That's very ignorant. 

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I can see Charley's side as well.  RA told them Darla said Blue wasn't his (eventhough that's not what she said).  So Charley thinks Darla's been deceiving them for years.  How could she trust her in her business matters?  And how could she pretend that everything is fine when her brother feels that he's been used?

In a way, I can see how RA got it wrong because it is all about him.  When she started with the story and she got to Blue may not be yours, he was so shocked that all he heard was Blue's not yours.  What I don't understand is why would he be shocked?  He knew she was a user.  And didn't they show where she had contact with one of her "men"?

• Love 1

I enjoyed watching the fallout from last week's episode.

RA isn't focused on the possibility that Blue could be his biologically, he is only focused on thinking that his son is not his, because the one person that he built all the possibilities of achieving what he has wanted in his life admitted that she has kept something from him and his family for so long. He is depressed and in mourning of the death of that particular future.

As Auntie Vi stated, having Blue somehow meant that RA "made up" for all the wrongs that he did in his past. I feel that is what RA truly believes he was able to do and that helped him to keep doing right for himself, his child and family. As for thinking that RA should have known better about Darla, due to her drug addiction past: RA is in love with her (and she with him) for their backstory. He didn't want to think that her past life (lying, drugs and prostitution) could result in Blue not being his child.

I got why Darla needed to come clean with everything about Blue to RA, but did she really think that she would still be able to keep her job at Queen Sugar?! That "nothing has to change" in how the entire family would react to her after RA told? The look of utter disappointment on Wood's face and Charley's bewilderment that Darla even showed up for work means that she will definitely need to work and focus on her steps and not backslide into using again.

I am glad that at least another member of the family knows about Auntie Vi's diagnosis. Nova will definitely step up and help her aunt during this situation. 

The episode was really great and I am excited for next week's season finale.

• Love 4

Not a RA fan, but I think his interpreting Darla's "might not be your son" to "Isn't your son" is pretty normal, really, when you're stunned stupid by bad news. He's never been the most rational of characters, but even rational people take a little time to recover in the face of devastating news.

That being said, it was really annoying that no one confronted Darla with RA's version and found out the truth. It's one of my least favorite things about TV, where someone takes the word of a person who's always been an unreliable source, and takes that version for gospel.

And then RA looks about ready to go off half-cocked and sell his land to the Landrys - without thinking that whatever the situation with Blue - he's still a young man who can make a family.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

That being said, it was really annoying that no one confronted Darla with RA's version and found out the truth. It's one of my least favorite things about TV, where someone takes the word of a person who's always been an unreliable source, and takes that version for gospel.

And then RA looks about ready to go off half-cocked and sell his land to the Landrys - without thinking that whatever the situation with Blue - he's still a young man who can make a family.

Well, the family literally just heard RA tell them that Blue isn't his. The family also isn't at the right place to go and question Darla. None of them want to even look at her right now, so I don't think it's so strange that they have chosen to rally around trying to keep RA from losing his mind. 

As for RA selling his land, I don't see it. He was out there telling the other farmer to stay strong and not let those "white boys" get inside their heads about the stability of the mill. He knows that the Landrys are absolutely determined and want he and Charley to fail. He and Charley won't let that happen. 

• Love 3
(edited)

So I'll put my comment from last night here:

Watching tonight’s episode.

Turning this show off forever.

When did Darla tell RA that Blue wasn’t his son?  Didn’t she tell him she wasn’t sure?

WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY ASK RA, DID YOU GET A DNA TEST?

See, I just finished the Poldark series, and there were about four huge secrets that never came to light and it was okay.  You don’t need to just spew all your secrets.

They better hope that no one in their precious family succumbs to addiction, let's see how judgmental they will be then.

Bye show!

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

Yes, she told him that she wasn't sure. This show is getting so sloppy. So now that RA is saying Blu isn't his, where does the storyline go from here? When he told the family and they were all weepy eyed, not one of them asked any questions. Like, Did you have a paternity test done? Do you know for sure? etc, etc... No questions. Rediculous.

I'm hoping the season finale next week will tie up some loose ends and Ava takes the time during the hiatus to figure out what she's doing. 

• Love 5

I expected the family to revert to full-on enabler mode when RA decided to share his version of Darla's story, but I was really disappointed that Charley went so far as to fire Darla.  I thought Charley was the level-headed one who might, oh I don't know, at least ask for some freaking clarification.

• Love 5

Moving my comments over from the other thread.

ETA: I'm going to need clarification on when Darla turned to prostitution. I was under the impression that she went the turning tricks route after Blue was born. Referencing back to what Aunt Vi said last season, she mentioned that Blue was dehydrated when Hollywood found him, and Darla was with a customer whose sweat was dripping on Blue. 

14 HOURS AGO, NEUROCHICK SAID:

"When I was casting Kofi and Ethan, I thought to myself, There's a melanin thing going on with the two of them," said DuVernay. "They were both the best actors for their respective roles, so I said to myself, I wonder if we can make a storyline where the love is so blinding that no one notices or asks the question of if Darla – a very fair-skinned women – and Kofi – a very brown-skinned man – can produce a son that's Ethan's color? Where we could build the idea that the love between them is so strong that it blinds you to the genetic realities and possibilities, but that when you hear that he's not his son biologically you say, 'Oooh, right.'"

14 HOURS AGO, NEUROCHICK SAID:

Edited by Sheenieb
  • Love 1
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

But what Darla said was "she wasn't sure."  She never told RA, "Blue ain't your kid."  No one even asked about DNA.  I mean Charley's a smart woman, I'm sure she's heard of DNA.

Right now, I hope Darla and here family leave this dysfunction junction and take Blue and THEN have RA find out that Blue was his son all along.  Serves him and his nasty, judgmental family right.

BTW, I turned off this mess at 40 minutes and watched "90 Day Fiancee" which, believe it or not made more sense than this show.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 5

And Darla would be completely justified in not trusting the Bordelons anymore.

They went to great lengths to praise Darla's progress & assure her that she was part of the family only for them to immediately turn on her without even inquiring about her side of the story.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Neurochick said:

WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY ASK RA, DID YOU GET A DNA TEST?

They better hope that no one in their precious family succumbs to addiction, let's see how judgmental they will be then.

Bye show!

It bugs me how everyone jump to RA side without any questions. I understand standing by family but given RA personality which has annoyed Charley and Nova no one thinks more is going on or question Darla.

1 hour ago, Dee said:

Hollywood has a lotta nerve being judgemental about someone keeping secrets.

We must remember only the black men get passes on this show.

• Love 3

But what Darla said was "she wasn't sure."  She never told RA, "Blue ain't your kid."  No one even asked about DNA.  I mean Charley's a smart woman, I'm sure she's heard of DNA.

Right, but they don't know that. All they have is RA's word and he said "she told me that he ain't mine." I don't know what the show is doing here. Either it's 50/50 or it isn't. 

And Darla would be completely justified in not trusting the Bordelons anymore.

They went to great lengths to praise Darla's progress & assure her that she was part of the family only for them to immediately turn on her without even inquiring about her side of the story.

I did think it was telling when the family turned on her; especially Aunt Vi. Darla will always be on the outs with the Bordelons' no matter how hard she tries. I get that she put the family through a lot, but the change in affection was too swift. 

But I will play devil's advocate and say that I sorta get it, too. Darla was already on thin ice with the family given her past. She got clean, slowly got accepted into the family, and then she pulls this. The trust was already on shaky ground despite Darla's turnaround, and then she drops this bomb. They feel manipulated, so I understand the anger. I'm just annoyed as a viewer that they're operating under the assumption that Darla told RA that Blue isn't his when she said 'might not be.' I think if RA told the family exactly what she said, then a DNA test would've been brought up.

I'm surprised that Charley wasn't brought in during Micah's talk with the principal. 

• Love 5
35 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

But I will play devil's advocate and say that I sorta get it, too. Darla was already on thin ice with the family given her past. She got clean, slowly got accepted into the family, and then she pulls this. The trust was already on shaky ground despite Darla's turnaround, and then she drops this bomb. They feel manipulated, so I understand the anger. I'm just annoyed as a viewer that they're operating under the assumption that Darla told RA that Blue isn't his when she said 'might not be.' I think if RA told the family exactly what she said, then a DNA test would've been brought up.

My problem is that the current Bordelon unity is extremely forced imo. It's incredibly sexist and feels totally in service to the plot. The writers crammed way too much into this season & now the show is in creative freefall.

51 minutes ago, Sheenieb said:

My problem with this statement is that on this show (and IRL I'm afraid) only black MEN get passes when it comes to the black community.  RA could take a real dump on both Nova and Charley and he'd still be okay with them.  That's my issue with this stupid family. 

BTW, why is Darla's pass worse than RA's; I mean RA was actually in jail and seriously if it weren't for Charley, when she lied and said she shot the gun outside that night, RA would have gone back to jail again for violating his parole.

And let's not forget Vi having to save RA's sorry behind when he was housing stolen merchandise (I think that's what he was doing).

RA keeps getting pass after pass after pass.  Darla tells one secret and they go to nut city.  

Then again, I didn't get why Darla told RA anything.  That confession did no one any good, not RA, not Blue, not anybody.  If you want to confess, sometimes it's best to go to a priest.

• Love 8
On 11/9/2017 at 9:44 AM, Clanstarling said:

Not a RA fan, but I think his interpreting Darla's "might not be your son" to "Isn't your son" is pretty normal, really, when you're stunned stupid by bad news. He's never been the most rational of characters, but even rational people take a little time to recover in the face of devastating news.

I'm of this mind. That Darla already planted doubt makes it very easy for RA to think that Blue isn't his. While Ava's comments regarding Kofi's complexion and Ethan's complexion make me roll my eyes, I could see how RA would start questioning how light Blue is; about how it would make him go from Darla's "might" to an automatic "isn't." First of all, RA is dramatic. But secondly, if RA is looking at himself, at Nova, at Ernest, at Aunt Vi, at his own momma he could quite easily rationalize that Blue isn't his biologically.

And, again, as I mentioned in last week's episode thread, this news is new. When did Darla drop this bomb on him? Just 48 hours before by the time they're getting ready to bring the cane to the mill? I mean, I've never been in this situation before, but I would think a "Let's get this DNA test" isn't coming that quickly. I do hope that come next week Nova is the one who tries to broach the topic, asking RA if he wants to get a DNA test.

Edited by Mozelle
  • Love 6

My problem with this statement is that on this show (and IRL I'm afraid) only black MEN get passes when it comes to the black community.  RA could take a real dump on both Nova and Charley and he'd still be okay with them.  That's my issue with this stupid family. 

BTW, why is Darla's pass worse than RA's; I mean RA was actually in jail and seriously if it weren't for Charley, when she lied and said she shot the gun outside that night, RA would have gone back to jail again for violating his parole.

And let's not forget Vi having to save RA's sorry behind when he was housing stolen merchandise (I think that's what he was doing).

RA keeps getting pass after pass after pass.  Darla tells one secret and they go to nut city.  

It's annoying, but as you wrote, it's true to life. RA is spoiled. They make allowance for him because he's family. It's frustrating AF, but I'll allow it in this case because he received devastating news.

Darla's secret wasn't minor, so it's not as if the Bordelons' are giving her a hard time just to be assholes. I get starting marriage with a clean slate, but Darla was on one when she said "nothing has to change." Girl, what!? 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I'm going to need clarification on when Darla turned to prostitution.

Darla wasn't hooking when she became pregnant with Blue.  She went to a party in her home town, got high and was raped (she doesn't call it that, but she obviously was in no condition to give consent).  Counting backwards after she found out she was pregnant was how she figured out that's when it might have happened.  It seems fairly ap[parent that she and RA were having sex on the regular at that time, so how would she know he wasn't the father?

10 hours ago, Sheenieb said:

I did think it was telling when the family turned on her; especially Aunt Vi.

When they think something happened to Blue, Vi's first words were "I always knew she was bad..." or words to that effect.  Meaning that her support of Darla was paper-thin.  (This was before she heard about the Big Lie, so no excuses for that.)

• Love 4

Honestly, Darla should have never, EVER told RA about Blue possibly not being his bio son. Its not like another possible father was showing up, its not like it was medically necessary, its not like it just happened, it is just going to cause pain when it isn't necessary. Really, the main reason to bring it up is because it sounds like she was sexually assaulted (if she was that high, she couldn't have really consented) and she should probably try to deal with that, but that hasn't been brought up by anyone, so I guess thats not going to be an issue here. It just seems pointless to make everything so awkward and crappy just to make herself feel better.

That being said, it shows that the family has always expected, on some level, that Darla was going to screw up. I get why they're all pissed at her, but they were super quick to turn on her. Honestly, if I was them, I would be more angry that she told this stupid secret than the fact that she kept it secret. She just tossed a live drama grenade into an already volatile situation! Also, RA certainly has reason to be upset, but, of course, he behaves like a total drama queen, and the whole family just goes with it. Maybe RA wouldn't be such a screw up if everyone didn't coddle him so much! Then maybe he would have more going on then one kid. 

30 day suspension? That seems to be a bit much! At least the school is taking the confederate stuff down. Aunt Nova will be proud at least. 

• Love 6
9 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Darla wasn't hooking when she became pregnant with Blue.  She went to a party in her home town, got high and was raped (she doesn't call it that, but she obviously was in no condition to give consent).  Counting backwards after she found out she was pregnant was how she figured out that's when it might have happened.  It seems fairly ap[parent that she and RA were having sex on the regular at that time, so how would she know he wasn't the father?

When they think something happened to Blue, Vi's first words were "I always knew she was bad..." or words to that effect.  Meaning that her support of Darla was paper-thin.  (This was before she heard about the Big Lie, so no excuses for that.)

I'm baffled why this is brushed aside - at least in the scene with her mother. 

6 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

That being said, it shows that the family has always expected, on some level, that Darla was going to screw up. I get why they're all pissed at her, but they were super quick to turn on her. Honestly, if I was them, I would be more angry that she told this stupid secret than the fact that she kept it secret. She just tossed a live drama grenade into an already volatile situation! Also, RA certainly has reason to be upset, but, of course, he behaves like a total drama queen, and the whole family just goes with it. Maybe RA wouldn't be such a screw up if everyone didn't coddle him so much! Then maybe he would have more going on then one kid. 

I don't care for RA, but if there was ever a moment to be a drama queen, this is it. So I really don't blame him for his feels at the moment. Though I do think he's been way too coddled (a disturbing thought just entered my mind - could he have been as sweet as Blue when he started out?)

That being said, we have a RA in our family (in terms of drama queen, and not being able to trust their take on any conversation - serious or not - because they only hear the worst case scenario of what is said to them), so anytime anything serious comes up, we quietly follow up to see what the truth is. Which has ended up, more times than not, being a comfort to us and our RA.  So I don't get the family not asking Darla a direct question to clarify. But as @jhlipton said, their support of her was paper thin.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Honestly, Darla should have never, EVER told RA about Blue possibly not being his bio son. Its not like another possible father was showing up, its not like it was medically necessary, its not like it just happened, it is just going to cause pain when it isn't necessary. Really, the main reason to bring it up is because it sounds like she was sexually assaulted (if she was that high, she couldn't have really consented) and she should probably try to deal with that, but that hasn't been brought up by anyone, so I guess thats not going to be an issue here. It just seems pointless to make everything so awkward and crappy just to make herself feel better.

They turned on Darla because, true to life, black men get a pass in the black community, while black women get thrown under the bus time and time again.  Black men can fuck up 7373989403 times, but if a black woman screws up ONCE, she's toast.  

If Ava made a comment about color regarding Blue/RA/Darla, then she's more ignorant than I thought.  My mom is super light, like her dad, while her mother was as dark as RA.  So what does that mean, her mother didn't give birth to her?  Nope, sometimes shit like that just happens.  Genes are a funny thing.  

• Love 6

Hmm, Charley's milkshake seems to be bringing all the White boys to the yard. Too bad one of them wants to drink her milkshake! Drink it up!

Oh FFS, RA. He just choses to hear what he wants instead of what was said. Blue may actually be his son but he wants to wallow in unnecessary pain and soak in everyone's sympathy. Such a prima donna.

Why doesn't Darla take RA's toothbrush or something and get a DNA test done? If she can't afford it her parents surely can. It's largely their fault she decided not to keep her mouth shut about Blue's paternity anyway. All the Sturm und Drang could be for naught if Blue is indeed RA's kid.

30-day suspension? What? Lawyer up, Charley. (And why am I catching a whiff of Landry and Boudreaux influence in that decision?)

As Auntie Vi stated, having Blue somehow meant that RA "made up" for all the wrongs that he did in his past.

I think that's a lot of responsibility to put on an innocent child. Maybe RA should find another way to make up for his wrongs. (Including not taking Blue with him when doing his petty thieving.)

• Love 7
On ‎11‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 5:12 AM, crossover said:

RA told them Darla said Blue wasn't his (eventhough that's not what she said).  So Charley thinks Darla's been deceiving them for years.  How could she trust her in her business matters?  And how could she pretend that everything is fine when her brother feels that he's been used?

Maybe because she's met RA before?  If he told me "Good Morning," I'd check my watch.

23 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

I expected the family to revert to full-on enabler mode when RA decided to share his version of Darla's story, but I was really disappointed that Charley went so far as to fire Darla.  I thought Charley was the level-headed one who might, oh I don't know, at least ask for some freaking clarification.

Exactly.

11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I was heartbroken for Darla, standing there so beaten down and alone.  She could have told her story in terms of "not knowing/non-consensual sex" but I guess she lives with shame and low self-esteem and believes all the bad things that happen to her are deserved.

She's even signing up for a lifetime of RA flinging "whore" in her face, followed by wallowing in his own pity party.

1 hour ago, Joimiaroxeu said:

Oh FFS, RA. He just chooses to hear what he wants instead of what was said. Blue may actually be his son but he wants to wallow in unnecessary pain and soak in everyone's sympathy. Such a prima donna.

This is extreme, but it's what I thought, too--that RA's (subconscious?) response would have a large share of "This nails it for me, a Free Pass from the family for the rest of time."

I would hope that a man who suddenly had his paternity cast into doubt would have a similar response to Vi's:  "That boy is and will always be MY SON, no matter what else, no matter what anyone says."

Not Ralph "Poor, poor me" Angel.  He even has to assemble a crowd to make his (inaccurate) announcement about how he's been wronged.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, candall said:

I would hope that a man who suddenly had his paternity cast into doubt would have a similar response to Vi's:  "That boy is and will always be MY SON, no matter what else, no matter what anyone says."

From what I've heard in real life stories, some do and some don't. Shame on those who turn their backs on children they presumably love. Then again, there are plenty of examples of those who abandon their own flesh and blood. I'll never understand that. 

• Love 3

I don't get all the Charlie hate and why is everyone asking about the family not talking to Darla. Of course Charlie fired her. Darla has been holding back the truth since day one.  I can't believe Darla had the nerve to even show up to work like nothing happened. She only got the job because she is RA girlfriend. RA is family so why would they side with former addict chick.  Yeah I know it is politically correct to say that because Darla has stopped using everything should be all ok but that's not how most people act lets be real. I have former addicts in my family and there are things I still don't trust them on even a decade later.  If your brother said his fiancee said his child really isn't his who would really question that within 24 hours of it happening, now I do see them talking to an attorney in the coming days but not immediately. As far as the color thing, most black families have many colors in the same family so it never thought twice about it. Slightly off topic for this episode but after watching Nova and Vi. I can see how much of a hand Vi had in helping raise Nova and RA after their mother died. No wonder she absorbed her hate for Charlie's mother.  Ernest should have squashed that and I don't give him a pass but like most most men he probably wanted to avoid conflict and left  the emotional side of child rearing to his wife and later his sister.

Edited by Mimiray802
other
  • Love 1

I don't think anyone is siding with Darla. I think it has more to do with RA personality that would cast some doubt and have the family consider talking to  Darla to hear her out instead of believing everything RA is saying. 

RA has a shady past, is arrogant and spoiled. We've seen him be cruel calling Charley a house slave and has a way of not listening or misreading things, like the whole Will reveal to his sisters and the fallout from that. 

While the family will understandably support him and be on his side, given his behavior in the past, one would rationally think there's more to this and at least hear Darla's side. 

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

While the family will understandably support him and be on his side, given his behavior in the past, one would rationally think there's more to this and at least hear Darla's side. 

I'm sure someone will eventually talk to Darla.  I'm not surprised they didn't right away.  They need for things to calm down.  Right now, it's too raw for RA and they know their brother.  So they wouldn't want to challenge him right now because he'd probably jump to another off-the-wall conclusion--no one supports me blah blah blah. 

Since Darla had the nerve to show up for the job, why didn't she tell Charley the story?  Then, Charley would know that RA got it wrong.  She also could've told Charley that she was going to get the paternity test done. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, crossover said:

Since Darla had the nerve to show up for the job, why didn't she tell Charley the story?  Then, Charley would know that RA got it wrong.  She also could've told Charley that she was going to get the paternity test done. 

That's very true. No one on this show talks about the stuff they should or maybe my family just talks about everything to death.  I'm mad at the show for making me feel just a tad bit of sympathy for RA. I'm sure next week it'll be back to my regular RA hate.

That scene with RA sharing the news with the family was so overly dramatic that I almost couldn't watch it. RA and Nova were so damn extra you would have thought they found out somebody died. I know it's a big shock, but their reaction was too much. Also, this will all be moot if they find our Blue really is his kid, which I hope is the case, so they can all feel like jerks afterward.

Nova just feels too much for me. I guess I'm getting irritated with her.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mrsbagnet said:

That scene with RA sharing the news with the family was so overly dramatic that I almost couldn't watch it. RA and Nova were so damn extra you would have thought they found out somebody died. I know it's a big shock, but their reaction was too much. Also, this will all be moot if they find our Blue really is his kid, which I hope is the case, so they can all feel like jerks afterward.

Nova just feels too much for me. I guess I'm getting irritated with her.

As much as I don't like RA, I think this situation is indeed equivalent (emotionally) to someone dying. RA "hears" that Blue, who he thinks is the best of him, and his most redeeming achievement, is not his, and that the woman he (presumably) loves has been lying to him for 7 years or more. The news kills all sorts of dreams and aspirations and taints his memories.

Yes, we'll probably find out Blue is in fact his, and RA has, of course, misheard and misstated what Darla said. And I do believe that knowing RA, one or the other of the sisters should have questioned Darla point blank for clarification.

But it is devastating nonetheless, to all of them.

• Love 3

Just speaking for myself, the reason I was most disappointed in Charley is because she doesn't have the luxury of solely dealing with this issue as an emotional family matter.  She also needs to consider things as a businesswoman and Darla's employer.  Darla was hired because she was RA's girlfriend, but that doesn't mean it's valid to fire her when that relationship changes.  We've seen Darla hustle and perform her job well.  I don't know if LA is a state where Darla could contest her firing, but I don't think a defense of, "But Judge!  She said she was my brother's babymama and she's maybe not!" would fly for Charley.

Plus, Darla certainly has a troubled past but it's not like the character just showed up 5 minutes ago with a baby she claimed to be RA's.  She's been around and the family has gotten to know her and has seen her progress, and I had hoped they would be invested in and somewhat care about her as a person.  (Not as much as the sainted RA of course, but at least as a fellow human being.)  I would never expect them to take Darla's side, but nor did I think they would be so cold.  They would know exactly what her work means for her stability and sobriety, and furthermore how that impacts Blue.  I understand it would be awkward for Charley to see Darla around the office, but couldn't she at least let her stay until she found another job or something?  

Anyway, those were my initial thoughts.  (I blame my business background.)  I don't hate Charley - on the contrary, she's one of my favorite characters - but I do hate this plot.  It makes everyone look bad, IMO, and I think the soapiness is beneath this show.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, LilWharveyGal said:

We've seen Darla hustle and perform her job well.  I don't know if LA is a state where Darla could contest her firing, but I don't think a defense of, "But Judge!  She said she was my brother's babymama and she's maybe not!" would fly for Charley.

Louisiana is an "at-will employment" state, so legally she can fire her for whatever reason. However, as you mentioned, it's not a smart move long-term. Darla is still Blue's mother and needs to provide for him. The Landrys are looking to bring down Queen Sugar Mill anyway they can. What's to stop them from  paying off Darla handsomely to bad-mouth the company/Charley on record? The Bordeleon's have already turned their back on her without hearing her side of the story, so there is no reason for her to be loyal anymore.

I'm starting to hate how this show is just ignoring real issues for melodrama. They expect me to believe that Charley just accepted that RA is sole heir to the land without putting up a fight? Not a single family member  thought about the fact that Darla was an addict back then, and that she wasn't thinking rationally? Not one of them confronted her, at least to get her side of the story? And Darla just stands around all meek, without defending herself? Please. Even daytime soaps have more realistic reactions then this one. They are all going to feel dumb as fuck if a paternity test shows that RA is Blue's father anyway.

Regarding Ava's comments about skin complexion/paternity, she's a fucking idiot when it comes to that and definitely needs to take a genetics class.

Edited by AgentRXS
  • Love 2
On 11/9/2017 at 11:55 PM, tennisgurl said:

1) if she was that high, she couldn't have really consented

2) 30 day suspension? That seems to be a bit much! A

1) I would have liked to have that highlighted too.  When she first mentioned it, she said something like "I went to a party, got high and had sex".  Saying that she was passed out, or even nearly, makes the "sex" rape.

2) Micah committed vandalism.  30 days doesn't seem wrong for that.

On 11/10/2017 at 4:07 PM, LilWharveyGal said:

Darla was hired because she was RA's girlfriend

Darla was hired in spite of being RA's girlfriend.  RA got her fired, so Charlie offered her the job to provide money and stability.  RA objected ('cuz it's always about him!) but Charlie and Darla "persisted".

• Love 1
8 hours ago, jhlipton said:

1) I would have liked to have that highlighted too.  When she first mentioned it, she said something like "I went to a party, got high and had sex".  Saying that she was passed out, or even nearly, makes the "sex" rape.

2) Micah committed vandalism.  30 days doesn't seem wrong for that.

Darla was hired in spite of being RA's girlfriend.  RA got her fired, so Charlie offered her the job to provide money and stability.  RA objected ('cuz it's always about him!) but Charlie and Darla "persisted".

I think it's the definition of vandalism that makes the 30 days seem excessive. He taped papers to lockers - he didn't tag or in any other way destroy property. If that's vandalism, then school staff commit it all the time.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I think it's the definition of vandalism that makes the 30 days seem excessive. He taped papers to lockers - he didn't tag or in any other way destroy property. If that's vandalism, then school staff commit it all the time.

School staff has the power to do what they want, so that's moot.  The suspension is to keep other kids from putting up fliers (which might be more offensive).  They had to use something to punish Micah, and vandalism came closest.

Excessive? Maybe. But I don't think it's outrageously so.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, jhlipton said:

School staff has the power to do what they want, so that's moot.  The suspension is to keep other kids from putting up fliers (which might be more offensive).  They had to use something to punish Micah, and vandalism came closest.

Excessive? Maybe. But I don't think it's outrageously so.

Well, yes, my pretty lame quip did indeed state a moot point.

For me, given the story line and what I understood about the context and conversation with the principal, my take is that the suspension was to sooth the board, bless their little confederate hearts, and not to serve as any kind of warning to the other students.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

the suspension was to sooth the board, bless their little confederate hearts, and not to serve as any kind of warning to the other students.

It's two -- TWO -- punishments in ONE!!! (Yes, I'm old...)

• Love 2
On 11/10/2017 at 10:00 AM, Neurochick said:

If Ava made a comment about color regarding Blue/RA/Darla, then she's more ignorant than I thought.  My mom is super light, like her dad, while her mother was as dark as RA.  So what does that mean, her mother didn't give birth to her?  Nope, sometimes shit like that just happens.  Genes are a funny thing.  

Yeah, I know a couple in which the father has a caramel complexion and the mother is dark and their three kids all have their dad’s coloring. It happens. I never thought anything of Blue being light like Darla; if anything I thought it was good casting.

• Love 1

I'm just watching this episode and I have SERIOUS PROBLEMS:

• NOBODY thought to talk to Darla about this situation? RA comes out, mumbles "Blue ain't mine" and THAT'S IT? Nosy ass Aunt Vi and self-righteous ass Nola don't want to get more information from Darla? Not only is it not believable for these characters, it's not realistic for a family to just throw their hands up over a child that's been part of their lives for 7 years.
  • Aunt Vi's sentiment that Blue made up for all of RA's problems. Um, no. RA is a good father, but he's full of problems that he needs to face and accept consequences for. This idea that taking care of his son is deserving of a cookie or some kind of karmic reset is bullshit. 
  • Kofi has always been the weakest actor on the show, but he's shown some growth over the past season. That said, I can't with his portrayal in this storyline. It is truly one-dimensional and is pulling me out of his scenes.
  • All I can say about this nonsense with Micah is that they are really struggling to find something for that character to do. No way that went down without his parents being present. It's private school; they are PAYING for him to attend which means notification would have involved them.

I like a lot of things about this show and lord knows it's gorgeous to watch, but there are SO MANY storylines that have come so close to being interesting and complex and true and instead end up going left and being simple, boring or completely strain my sense of realism.

• Love 4