Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: There But For The Grace of God, Go I

As Tomas and Marcus continue to investigate the strange incidents at the foster home, the demon finally makes its presence known. The two priests must race against the clock to find evidence of possession before it is too late. Meanwhile, Andy and Rose take the children on a camping trip, setting them on a collision course with the supernatural presence on the island. Back in Rome, Father Bennett's uneasy partnership with Mouse takes a turn as disturbing new information comes to light.

This episode was terrifying. Tomas' ego is his weakness. He is so going to get possessed at the rate that he is going. I was so freaking scared when he was going through the house. I could barely watch. He was lucky the demon didn't kill him although he was able to stop possessed Truck from attacking Verity.

At first, I wasn't happy that Marcus was sidelined, but then, I was glad that he was able to have a bit of personal happiness. He needs a break.

Gawd, poor Andy. At least, he tried to resist. Grace is so freaking scary. I love Rose. She is the sweetest person. I hope that she survives. It didn't look good in the previews.

Poor Dolores. I hope that she finds peace. Bennett was bad ass as usual. I can't wait for Bennett and Mouse to take on Maria (I think that is her name).

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 8

I'm not gonna get over Truck's crumpling face anytime soon. He was used like a puppet and now is losing his family. His realization he was being taken away devestated me.

This demon has been around for a looooong time killing a lot of kids and people. Not surprising how smart it was that it took the form of a Andy's wife to keep it close to him. Once she rose to head height you knew.

On one hand Tomas ignoring Marcus is once again risking his mind and soul and yet if he hadn't gone to the house he wouldn't have saved Verity and wouldn't have seen the carnage of this demon. Marcus didn't get it, Tomas was simply sitting in that house with Rose and felt it barely contained in the walls. He couldn't stand down. He had to do something.

Shelby's preaching what true Christianity and faith is all about warmed my heart. He and Verity reached a new level of bond when she realized that he wasn't like those assholes that abused her. 

Poor desperate Andy was trying to rationalize Grace as a mental hallucination but in the end he knew it was something else and knew that it was the reason why Truck attacked Verity. Maybe he let Truck go because he thinks he does be safer for now off the island.

Poor Harper was adjusting and loving the family and now it's blown up. Caleb freaking out when he realized Truck wasn't coming with them...damnit I'm tears again. 

Marcus getting some mental relief and nooky was sooooo great. No way in the world could Tomas had handled all that stuff that came soiling out of Marcus. Damn, he's been through a lot.

Maria is gonna get some badass demon killing visitors soon. Bennett ain't getting fooled by tricks no mo! Can.not.wait. 

Edited by TobinAlbers
  • Love 5

Andy has finally caught onto Grace but he is unraveling fast. This episode was so scary. The house is bad enough but then to take the kids out into the woods to go camping. I feel bad for Truck, I hope they let him stay in the house...or not. Geez, these poor kids. 

RIP Dolores. I hope Bennett and Mouse take care of Maria fast and get to the island because Tomas and Marcus need help. 

• Love 6
30 minutes ago, TobinAlbers said:

This demon has been around for a looooong time killing a lot of kids and people. Not surprising how smart it was that it took the form of a Andy's wife to keep it close to him. Once she rose to head height you knew.

Yep, I figured it was the wife when I saw the height. The demon is clever. It realized that the Grace hallucination was not working any more as Andy was fighting it so it took the wife's form which will be much harder for Andy to resist.

• Love 2

Marcus so needs someone like Fish and Wildlife Guy in his life. 

Are we sure this guy is real? I'm starting to suspect he's a demon hallucination or the devil or something. He took Marcus across the bay (?) to talk to that lady but once Marcus got there that guy was nowhere around. Marcus is the only person (that we know of) who sees him.

I've totally lost track of whatever it is Father Bennett is doing.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

Are we sure this guy is real? I'm starting to suspect he's a demon hallucination or the devil or something. He took Marcus across the bay (?) to talk to that lady but once Marcus got there that guy was nowhere around. Marcus is the only person (that we know of) who sees him.

Others have seen Peter. He talked to Andy and Shelby together at the beginning of the 4th episode about the dead birds. And Andy seemed to know him pretty well.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There was one shot of Marcus speaking to the older woman, and you could see fish and wildlife sitting on a bench nearby.  I also wondered if he was supernatural to distract Marcus, but as ferjy said above, he's been seen by other people.

That was creepy! Fr Tomas experiencing those deaths before in the island because of the demon! I think Peter is real and good to Marcus, he was sitting on the bench while he was talking to the old lady, the show needed a person so Marcus has something to do and leave Tomas for a bit to do something else on his own too. When I saw Alicia Witt as guest I knew that when Andy wanted Grace to go away and won't affect him anymore, the demon switched to Nicole!

• Love 1
7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Ha! To be fair Christopher Cousins usually play shady and /or weak men (he popped up on Designated Survivor just last week as one!) so it's been a delight to see his charm and hot silver fox status be used for good instead of selfish means. But now that it's been put out there, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a scene with him showing he's got the telltale second pupil sign of integration down the line. Marcus apparently can't be happy.

Alicia Witt was ecstatic on twitter that she could now live tweet since she was revealed to still be on the show. But if Nicole starts doing the slow rotting and disinteration like the demon last year, it's gonna be rough.

An actual ratings uptick for last night's episode by a tenth. Betting the DVR viewers tuned in live due to the pre World Series cliffhanger. Hopefully it'll hold or do another uptick since last night's ep stepped it up a notch.

• Love 3

The worst part of the episode for me was the fake honeycomb type holes in Andy's chest. I had to cover my eyes and look away. I have this thing called Trypophobia, where small holes or bumps creep me out. Just thinking about it now makes my skin crawl.

I'm glad Marcus was finally able to "hear" God. Hopefully he gets back to the island ASAP. I'm guessing that they'll figure out that it was the demon that made Truck do what he did, so he won't get sent away. Also, if all the kids, and Rose, are around when the exorcism takes place, I think it will help to bring them all together. It'll be a great bonding experience! :P

• Love 3
1 hour ago, pezgirl7 said:

The worst part of the episode for me was the fake honeycomb type holes in Andy's chest. I had to cover my eyes and look away. I have this thing called Trypophobia, where small holes or bumps creep me out. Just thinking about it now makes my skin crawl.

I was going to mention this. This creeps me out too. They had this on American Horror Story this season and I couldn't watch it. 

I'm wondering if Andy and Nicole had a daughter who died because Grace was calling him Daddy? 

Did anyone notice in the very beginning of the episode it looked like snakes were crawling on those white cotton looking things in the trees? 

• Love 2

I don't trust the fish and wildlife guy at all, even Marcus seems somewhat leery of him.  It seems like he is trying to get into Marcus' head.  Some have wondered if he is real, and I think he seems to be, a real what is the question?  

Edited by Fable

I too am a bit wary of the Fish and Wildlife guy. He just seems.... convenient. Hope to be wrong. Marcus knows that the life of an Exorcist is never easy. Always being on one's guard, always being vigilant, always another demon, always another place to go. Hard to trust anyone, really, given what he has been through and knows. Wondering if it is just another test from God.

So 'Grace' has stepped up her game and gotten rid of the little girl image. Thought it was a bit horrifying that Tomas got to relive the various killings that happened in that home on the island. Missed the first two eps this season so did not see Nicole.

Truck did nothing wrong except being used by the demon. I like Verity. Smart girl who sees the 'truth'.

I didn't like the chest honeycomb either and the bee going in the direction of the eye. The pillowcase face was also creepy. I was hoping for a much darker unmasking.

11 hours ago, TobinAlbers said:

Ha! To be fair Christopher Cousins usually play shady and /or weak men (he popped up on Designated Survivor just last week as one!) so it's been a delight to see his charm and hot silver fox status be used for good instead of selfish means. But now that it's been put out there, I wouldn't be surprised if we get a scene with him showing he's got the telltale second pupil sign of integration down the line. Marcus apparently can't be happy.

I'm happy to see Marcus getting a little...happiness (heh-heh). My guess is Peter (Fish & Wildlife guy) will probably be killed as some sort of collateral damage. Because the writers love to torture Marcus.

To be fair, Ben Daniels is beautiful when his soul is in turmoil.

Who am I kidding, Ben Daniels is beautiful when he exhales.

• Love 6

Sorry, aren't we going to discuss the bit where Mouse holds Dolores/demon's head after she/it has been stabbed and whispers "You were the best of us, you didn't deserve this, God forgives, I don't." [Italics for Latin]. I think she was talking to the demon in the first bit, and flipping Dolores the mortal bird in the second. 

This show is so good and so creepy, I have no idea why it doesn't have a wider audience. Its the only show that can actually scare me and have it stick with me. Lots of shows have jump scares and gore and such, but this show excels at creating a truly scary atmosphere using film language, character, and lighting, that it actually stays with me after the show is over. 

Poor kids. They've all gone through such awful things, and now, when they've found a happy, safe home, a freaking demon shows up to screw with everyone. Truck looked so heartbroken when he realized what he did to Verity, I hope they realize what happened so he doesn't get sent away. Poor Truck. And poor Harper! She finally escapes her crazy mom who thinks she`s possessed by a demon, and she ends up at a foster home where she`s happy...and an actual demon shows up to possess people! 

I cant decide what scene creeped me out the most. The holes that showed up on Andy, with the bee coming out, the flashbacks to the demons forcing parents on the island to kill their kids, or the little girl and her creepy ass mask showing up in the painting. Or all of the above? 

Marcus will NOT be happy with Tomas when he finds out he broke into the demon house alone! He cant leave the guy alone for five minutes without him chasing after every demon in sight. But Marcus has a date, so what can you do? I was so happy to see Marcus finally get some happiness, and that he felt God for the first time in months! God wants you to kiss the Fish and Wildlife guy Marcus! You deserve the break! 

I figured the demon would end up showing up as Nicole when Andy started fighting against Grace. Thats going to be a lot more difficult to get rid of. I wonder if Nicole was pregnant when she killed herself, and thats why Grace takes the form of a daughter figure? Or maybe it ties into the demon having parents kill their kids? It seems like it wants Andy to kill his foster kids, but he also seems to be posessing the kids. So who knows what his evil plan is? 

"God forgives. I dont". Cliche? Yes. Awesome? Hell yes. I hope they get back from Chicago soon to help Marcus and Tomas, I think they're going to need all the help they can get. 

• Love 3
8 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

This show is so good and so creepy, I have no idea why it doesn't have a wider audience. Its the only show that can actually scare me and have it stick with me. Lots of shows have jump scares and gore and such, but this show excels at creating a truly scary atmosphere using film language, character, and lighting, that it actually stays with me after the show is over.

OMG, so much this!!

I wish more people were watching as well. It's an amazing show and I want a third season, damn it.

I felt so bad for Truck. That boy broke my heart.

I loved Marcus being happy. I just wish it would last.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I thought she loved and respected Dolores.

Mouse did, but she recognized that Dolores was gone and in place was the demon, thus the burning of what used to be Dolores.  The message was for the demon, not Dolores, about God forgiving but I don't.  Mouse doesn't forgive the demon for possessing and then integrating Dolores.

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Mouse did, but she recognized that Dolores was gone and in place was the demon, thus the burning of what used to be Dolores.  The message was for the demon, not Dolores, about God forgiving but I don't.  Mouse doesn't forgive the demon for possessing and then integrating Dolores.

Totally agree, I was responding to the poster who said

"I think she was talking to the demon in the first bit, and flipping Dolores the mortal bird in the second."

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Christi said:

so the Bag Face Kid was never there...never real??

Correct.  Grace was a figment of Andy's imagination or hallucination.  Some people are speculating she is the daughter he would have had with Nicole, his dead wife, but it doesn't make sense to me because the girl would have been half Caucasian, half Asian.  We really don't know who Grace was supposed to be yet, although she called Andy Daddy.

7 hours ago, CelticBlackCat said:

Correct.  Grace was a figment of Andy's imagination or hallucination. 

When she was banging that doll's head against the wall she seemed a tad more sinister than a figment of Andy's imagination.  Grace was a representation of the evil force living on that island.  Since Grace is no longer effective, it's now being represented by Andy's wife (sorry, I forget her name.).

• Love 1

ugh...so Its like the Sixth Sense....I need to re watch everything to see if anyone interacts with her! geeeeez

all the questions now!!

reading the other episode threads...seems like you guys caught on before, that she wasnt real...what were some previous clues?

Edited by Christi

There were a few...

Grace only interacted with Andy.

None of the kids ever mentioned her.

Pictures on the desk of family included Andy, the kids, his wife...and no Grace.

There was a scene when Andy coaxed a reluctant Grace outside, they were talking on the porch, Grace was off camera, but her image was on the glass door behind Andy, intimating something wasn't right.

There were more subtle clues, but I can't remember them right now...I do remember Andy telling a neighbor 'one of my children is in the house' rather than saying 'Grace is in the house'.

• Love 2

Others have seen Peter. He talked to Andy and Shelby together at the beginning of the 4th episode about the dead birds.

Did Peter interact with Shelby? Andy talking to him proves nothing - Andy talks to "Grace," too. I'm still not sure about Peter - after all, which is more likely? Demon spirit trying to temp father Marcus, or friendly fisherman on Demon Island? You be the judge.

^If Peter is not real, then Shelby would have said to him, "Who are you talking to Andy?" Andy brought Shelby to Peter coz he thought it's supernatural not science, Peter explained to them that global warming confused the birds and they all flew to the house.

Of course we all knew it's supernatural.

I think Peter is real. I've seen nothing to convince me otherwise, and he'd be a pretty powerful spirit if he could pilot a boat. :) Also, why would he help Marcus find out the truth about the island and help him get his faith back? Unless, he's a good spirit? uh oh...

But really, I think he's just there so that Marcus will have to make a choice at the end of the season. Does he continue to be an exorcist, or live a more normal life?