Type keyword(s) to search

Current Squad 2017-2018: Media, Music, Videos & Show Group

sleepyjean
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, McGee43 said:

NBC 5 is currently live on Facebook at the Cheerleaders' rehearsal. 

I really enjoyed that! If they can't make the season longer, at least give us a glimpse of what practices actually look like without editing. It was interesting to see blocking and who really leads the choreography (Jenna and Jennifer). We also got to see the first half of the routine at the end.

I also spotted only 36 girls, someone may need to count after me to be sure. Wonder who's out?

Thank you for letting us know about that! I loved getting to watch some of rehearsal. The Halloween routine looks like it has some refreshing new choreography. Can't wait to hopefully see a video from the game.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, HowdeeDo said:

I really enjoyed that! If they can't make the season longer, at least give us a glimpse of what practices actually look like without editing. It was interesting to see blocking and who really leads the choreography (Jenna and Jennifer). We also got to see the first half of the routine at the end.

I also spotted only 36 girls, someone may need to count after me to be sure. Wonder who's out?

Is this on facebook or anywhere?

4 minutes ago, HowdeeDo said:

Just search for NBC 5 Dallas, scroll down a bit since they're a news station and post a ton. It's 24 minutes long or so. 

Found it! Thanks. Wow some of the girls are looking a little big around the middle...

Overall, the list was pretty decent.  There were a few that I didn't think were all that great, a few that should have been on there but weren't and the majority were amazing.  I don't think there's ever going to be a list that will have EVERYONE'S favorite on it.  Still, I'm glad that there were a lot of one-year girls on this one.

On 10/26/2016 at 9:55 AM, heatherrrrz said:

Found it! Thanks. Wow some of the girls are looking a little big around the middle...

Who did you think looked bigger?  I was surprised that only maybe Holly looked a little thicker in the middle, but still nothing outrageous. Jenn K and Megan had flat stomachs but a whole lot of junk in the trunk. I was a little jealous. Melissa looked really thin. 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 8:55 AM, heatherrrrz said:

I thought it was interesting to listen to Kelli and Meredith trying to talk quietly and thinking that the mic on her phone wouldn't pick it up.

I'm not a victim blaming by any means but Melissa posts where she is every second of the day practically. Where she gets her hair done, eyebrows, working out at zyn22... if you really looked into you can probably figure out where her kids go to school. I get it, she's a public figure, but it might help to be more private. Just my two cents.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, RazzleberryPie said:

Who did you think looked bigger?  I was surprised that only maybe Holly looked a little thicker in the middle, but still nothing outrageous. Jenn K and Megan had flat stomachs but a whole lot of junk in the trunk. I was a little jealous. Melissa looked really thin. 

I actually thought Jenn and Megan specifically looked bigger. I think I maybe saw Danielle look a bit bigger too. Megan, most definitely. I'm not sure about Melissa, she looked pretty good actually. These girls look good with the extra weight on them though, unlike someone like me lol

On 10/21/2016 at 7:52 AM, heatherrrrz said:

yep! wizards of waverly place. I don't remember seeing her though.

I will have to look... also, I missed the Claire, Stephanie, and Selina questions the rest I got correct... 

On 10/21/2016 at 0:28 PM, MrsEVH said:

Was looking for episodes of Wizards of Waverly  and found this episode. It's probably not her but doesn't this girl remind you of current DCC Melissa? The blonde girl who plays the son's girlfriend.

That's Bridgette Mendler.  She is a Disney channel star herself and a really awesome musician.  She was the star of Good luck Charlie and Lemonade Mouth.  (The girlfriend that is.) I believe she is a vampire on this show. 

Edited by Josreason
5 minutes ago, RazzleberryPie said:

They're characters from Bring It On, doing the Clover Cheer. 

I know what they are - and it just seems a bit inappropriate.   I think people dressing like gang members (or other negative stereotypes) from poor/crime-ridden predomitiy black/Hispanic neighborhoods as a Halloween costume is insulting to minorities.   Maybe monitorities don't see it that way, and I know a lot of people do costumes like that, but I wouldn't.

And this is kind of the same thing, but only for cheerleaders.   Those characters in the movie weren't exactly gang members, I know, but they were kind of based on a negative stereotype that most minorities are poor and live in "rough" neighborhoods. 

• Love 1

Oh, that video looks like being there was SO much fun.  It takes me back to my field show days in high school when I was in the marching band.  It was hard work but it was immensely fun.  One thing we did every year was a "contest" to see who could do the called commands without a mistake.  I can't remember the commands any more but it was a blast.  I never won but I was pretty good.  I LOVED marching band, but sadly, the school district cut that part out so now the band kids only get to do one parade a year and concerts.  Heck, it was the field show we did my senior year that got our school invited to the Rose Parade (I still think the seniors should have gotten to go to the Parade as well, but we weren't allowed to, which SUCKS!).  Anyways. . . .

That whole situation looks like it is SO much fun.  Hard work, yes, but fun and it's an AWESOME feeling to step out on the field and know that people are watching you, whether it's Halloween or not.  I only got to step out on an NFL field once (almost 25 years ago) and it was freaking AMAZING.  To do that who knows how many times a year (plus preseason) has to be a rush and probably why so many girls come back.  I know I would. Heck, I'd love to go back and perform field shows again as I know my knees would be complaining bitterly the entire time I was dancing (as if that was the LEAST of my problems).

Edited by EricaShadows
  • Love 1

The girls doing the Clovers made me laugh with utter glee. And the video of them doing the cheers!! So much fun. Loved Jacie and the friend joining in too. What a fun group costume for a gorgeous group of AA women ??

• Love 6
24 minutes ago, kalibean said:

The girls doing the Clovers made me laugh with utter glee. And the video of them doing the cheers!! So much fun. Loved Jacie and the friend joining in too. What a fun group costume for a gorgeous group of AA women ??

Wait - is that Jacie in the back middle with what I thought was a bald patch wig on? I swear on my phone it did t look like a clip or a headband, but like a guy with a bald patch! I feel like an idiot! I can't tell who is in the second row either.

i wonder if they fought over who got to be Gabrielle Union.

I agree there is something somewhat inappropriate about this. Also, they used to be super strict on the costumes at the halloween party. Not that these are slutty but didn't they used to be stricter?? I was even surprised to see a little of Holly's midriff showing 

Edited by grapevine
punctuation

Maybe it would be inappropriate if the white girls on the team did it but the AA girls? how is that bad? I truly am asking...I can't keep up anymore with what its PC.  Even Gabrielle Union loved it though so....def don't think they offended anyone.  

Also genuinely asking - they are supposed to not show their midriffs at these parties? when their uniform does? i'm so confused. All the costumes I saw looked adorable.  

• Love 7

When a negative stereotype of a racial, ethnic or socio-economic group is used as a Halloween costume, I think it's insensitive.  IMO, the DCC dressing up like the East Compton Clover cheerleaders borders on this to the point where it was inappropriate.  No, it's not shockingly "make national news" inappropriate like the Whitney black-face thing, but it still could be seen as poor taste to some IMO.

Of course, I find a lot of adult Halloween costumes inappropriate and insensitive.   For instance, I saw a group of people dressed up in sombreros and ponchos w/ drawn on mustaches holding tequila bottles as a costume on FB this weekend - I thought that was really inappropriate, but it still got a lot of "likes".

I honestly would worry about what my employer might do to me if I posted pictures of myself online like many of the adults in costumes I saw posted this weekend.   It's not just teenagers who don't seem to use good judgement w/ what they post - smh. 

• Love 2

Has anyone seen the halftime show for yesterday floating around anywhere? I could go and watch the old ones but I want to see this years lol

Honestly all the comments I've seen about the Clovers are that everyone loves it. Especially the girl who actually was the head cheerleader in the movie lol

31 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

When a negative stereotype of a racial, ethnic or socio-economic group is used as a Halloween costume, I think it's insensitive.  IMO, the DCC dressing up like the East Compton Clover cheerleaders borders on this to the point where it was inappropriate.  No, it's not shockingly "make national news" inappropriate like the Whitney black-face thing, but it still could be seen as poor taste to some IMO.

Of course, I find a lot of adult Halloween costumes inappropriate and insensitive.   For instance, I saw a group of people dressed up in sombreros and ponchos w/ drawn on mustaches holding tequila bottles as a costume on FB this weekend - I thought that was really inappropriate, but it still got a lot of "likes".

I honestly would worry about what my employer might do to me if I posted pictures of myself online like many of the adults in costumes I saw posted this weekend.   It's not just teenagers who don't seem to use good judgement w/ what they post - smh. 

It's all a matter of personal opinion and that is subjective. I think in this instance, the girls were doing something cheerleader-themed. After all, the movie was a comedy, this was supposed to be funny. I don't see it as something offensive. I'm a nurse. Thousands of women dress up like a "slutty nurse" for Halloween each year. Is that an accurate representation of my profession? No. Do I need to be offended? Not in my opinion. It's Halloween. It's a costume. It's for fun.

• Love 8

Especially since the race of those wearing the costume is the race of the "negative stereotype."  But I guess these days there will always be someone "offended" on someone else's behalf.

• Love 3

People do put up a lot of stupid stuff on social media, stuff that, if I did so, would definitely have my boss calling me into the office and ask me what I was thinking.  Yes, my employer does follow social media accounts because I work for a company that is not only VERY much in the public eye, but is state-governed and state-funded.  If I make myself look bad, it could make my employer look bad and my judgment (both personal and professional) look bad.

While I don't think Judy and Kelli should have to be the costume police or anything, they are teaching these girls a HUGE lesson in social media awareness.  Whether or not they actually LEARN it is another matter.  We've seen how what girls put up can affect their chances to make (or stay on) the team and we've seen it when poor choices affect the brand and STILL some girls put up things that show them not making the best choices.

As for Megan, it's not just a bad night or a bad week in terms of weight.  She should be pulled from performances and appearances until she gets her shape back.  If she's on medications that impact her weight or her body, there may be ways to mitigate that issue or to see if her doctor can switch her medication.  She has an appearance to maintain and she isn't doing so.  It also makes Judy and Kelli look bad when Megan is still out and about looking like she is because of what they have said and done in the past.  Girls who have gained wait or didn't look good in the uniform have been pulled from the uniform, from appearances and performances, and have been cut.  They have been warned and we've seen Kitty publicly call out several girls for weight.  I understand that girls will carry their weight differently and have different body shapes (something that Kelly and Judy just NOW seem to be getting), but when someone is VISIBLY heavier and seems to be busting out of the uniform and nothing seems to be done about it, something is really wrong.  It shows favoritism at the least.

Edited by EricaShadows
51 minutes ago, tobeyoungagain said:

confused how dressing up as East Compton cheerleaders is a "negative stereotype of a racial, ethnic or socio-economic group"?  Not arguing but sincerely curious and open-minded to different opinions

I honestly didn't see a single DCC Halloween pic that I thought was in bad taste. Nothing looked too revealing or slutty, nothing made fun of religion (I hate pregnant nun, terrorist, etc. costumes), race, nationality, etc. They were all really, really tame compared to what I see from most girls who are college aged or in their mid20s.

Of course, I also don't mind the stereotyped Mobster, Gangster, Super Mario, Jersey Shore, etc. costumes, and I'm 3/4 Italian, and husband's is 100% Sicilian. They even have a costume that's been passed around since probably the mid70s, where the newest dad and baby is a big mustachioed organ grinder with his monkey. They have a notorious story (before I came into the picture) of he and his brothers and cousins fighting over who got to be whom when they all went as the Sopranos (everybody wanted to be Paulie Walnuts with the weird hair).

We can all agree to disagree, but in my mind the Clovers were the really talented cheerleaders who were so good the other girls stole their cheers. They weren't gang members and were a whole lot more ladylike than the Torros (hello bikini car wash, straight up mean girls, etc.) I know that movie was in California, but there are quite a few schools in the South East and Mid Atlantic who aren't disadvantaged economically or dangerous areas, but just prefer that style of cheerleading. There are quite a few I've seen in Virginia that can tumble and stunt like typical cheerleaders, but prefer "Clover Style" for sidelines. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, tobeyoungagain said:

confused how dressing up as East Compton cheerleaders is a "negative stereotype of a racial, ethnic or socio-economic group"?  Not arguing but sincerely curious and open-minded to different opinions

The negative stereotype promoted by the Compton cheerleaders in the movie was that black people live in poor, crime-ridden neighborhoods.  Bring it on 1 was a "cheer battle", so to say, of the rich white girls from the nice neighborhood vs the poor black girls from the rough neighborhood.

The black DCC were dressing up as a group of poor black cheerleaders from a crime-ridden neighborhood, as a "costume".   I just think it's  inappropriate, and if I had a biracial daughter I wouldn't let her wear a costume like that, no matter how cute it looked and how amused people may be if her an her blonde friend wanted to go trick or treating as a Compton clover and a rancho valley torro.

I think dressing up like gang members is inappropriate too - regardless of the race of the person doing it, but you see that A LOT.

Edited by MyFavShows
5 minutes ago, MyFavShows said:

The negative stereotype promoted by the Compton cheerleaders in the movie was that black people live in poor, crime-ridden neighborhoods.  Bring it on 1 was a "cheer battle", so to say, of the rich white girls from the nice neighborhood vs the poor black girls from the rough neighborhood.

The black DCC were dressing up as a group of poor black cheerleaders from a crime-ridden neighborhood, as a "costume".   I just think it's  inappropriate, and if I had a biracial daughter I wouldn't let her wear a costume like that, no matter how cute it looked and how amused people may be if her an her blonde friend wanted to go trick or treating as a Compton clover and a rancho valley torro.

I think dressing up like gang members is inappropriate too - regardless of the race of the person doing it, but you see that A LOT.

Definitely everyone should have their own opinion and I completely respect that.  I guess I just saw it as them dressing up as cheerleaders from a movie.  Compton (or at least the area that I use to go to) has a demographic profile that is skewed towards minorities (not just "black" girls as the movie also had several Latinos and Latinas as the very talented Clovers cheerleaders) so I didn't really read into how that's offensive.  But thanks for sharing your perspective - it's always good to understand other people's point of view.

• Love 3
On 10/30/2016 at 10:12 AM, MyFavShows said:

I know what they are - and it just seems a bit inappropriate.   I think people dressing like gang members (or other negative stereotypes) from poor/crime-ridden predomitiy black/Hispanic neighborhoods as a Halloween costume is insulting to minorities.   Maybe monitorities don't see it that way, and I know a lot of people do costumes like that, but I wouldn't.

And this is kind of the same thing, but only for cheerleaders.   Those characters in the movie weren't exactly gang members, I know, but they were kind of based on a negative stereotype that most minorities are poor and live in "rough" neighborhoods. 

I think their costume was awesome and looked fun. Many of us look up to the East Compton Clovers. They worked hard just to have another team steal their material and win Nationals every week. They were able to make it and win by raising money on their own (they didn't accept a donation). They don't compare to gang members at all just because they are from a poorer neighborhood than the other team. I think it's more insulting to black girls like myself to compare dressing like the clovers to dressing like gang members.

ETA- I think dressing as a Native American, a Mexican, an African-American(esp with blackface), or any other group is an issue and shouldn't be done because it's usually stereotypical and racist, but dressing as fictional characters from a very famous movie is perfectly fine. Just don't use blackface.

Edited by bk10
  • Love 10
On 10/31/2016 at 10:01 AM, heatherrrrz said:

Has anyone seen the halftime show for yesterday floating around anywhere? I could go and watch the old ones but I want to see this years lol

Honestly all the comments I've seen about the Clovers are that everyone loves it. Especially the girl who actually was the head cheerleader in the movie lol

On Jenna's facebook page she shared a post from someone who taped it on the big screen.  Not great quality but it's something. 

6 minutes ago, LaurenBrook said:

On Jenna's facebook page she shared a post from someone who taped it on the big screen.  Not great quality but it's something. 

Awesome, it's better than nothing.