Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E04: I Think it's a Sign

I know you kind of have to suspend your belief to watch this show, but this episode's plot is so over the top ridiculous, it might as well be the fantasy of a crazy horny teenage girl. 

Edited by talktalk
  • Love 6

I agree.  This episode had some pretty big leaps. I get it.  They like Ann Dowd (which...of course they do!)  They like Rhonda.  She's an interesting character.  She can only play the Javert role for so long before it gets too repetitive.  But I felt like they had to do a lot of legwork in this episode to bring her to the point where she'd contemplate participating in this.  

Maybe I'm forgetting some groundwork from last season but we discovered she's a showboat who craves adulation, she doesn't get it at her job, she like the fine things in life and she hates the FBI.  All in this episode.  What makes this even funnier to me is that last week there was so much speculation about this possibly being a breaking and entering which would indicate her willingness to break the law.  Except in this episode we discovered it was all above the board through air b&b.  Such a simple, law abiding solution.  So yes, there were some major steps we had to buy.

That said, there were things I absolutely adored in this episode.  Like her air kiss when Christian punches her co-worker.  The co-worker can mock her but an assassin who can tell you who? what? when? where? would be a pretty fascinating get that she could write a book about.

And the bit from the title of the episode was so silly yet so enjoyable to me "What is that?"  "I think it's a sign."   

I think I'm going to like the next few episodes where they go all in on breaking the law.

The whole thing was insane and ridiculous, but I fully admit I didn't care how many absurd twists and turns had to happen as long as it meant Letty and Javier could get away together.  When we saw him standing at their bus station in Danville?  My normally cold, black heart sang with glee lol.  The show is at its very best when it's just the two of them, and Michelle and JDB were especially on point last night.

I also liked Rob playing armchair psychologist with Estelle and nailing his assessment of her.  And she knew he nailed it (very nice work from Lusia Strus).  Ditto for Agent Backup calling Lashever out with some obvious truths she didn't want to hear.  

And as awesome as Ann Dowd is, Lashever only works in small doses for me, so I'm glad the Letty/Jav/Christian/Rhonda roadshow seems to be over for now.

• Love 19

I knew this was the only place they could take the storyline, so I'm glad we're getting there sooner rather than later. 

Michelle and JDB slayed this episode. They had to say so much so subtly with their faces. You can feel their connection through the screen. 

Rob continues to be my MVP - he always speaks the truth with pure intentions. I love that he's basically telling Estelle what the viewing audience feels about Javier and why we root for him.

The music, yet again, was on point. Every scene had a fabulous soundtrack.

Estelle saying Letty was the dumbest smart person she knew reminded me of one of my favorite lines from Homeland, when Saul tells Carrie she's both "The smartest and the dumbest fuckin person I've ever met." Homeland was the last show I invested in so heavily before this one, and the similarities between the female leads can't be ignored. There's a duality to Letty that I adore. She's sly like a fox and a schemer to the end, but all her brilliant logic goes right out the window of she loves you too much. I think it's my favorite character flaw. 

The end at the Danville bus station made my heart leap for joy. Role reversal! Letty picks up Javier this time. I do think it's time to return a bit to the season 1 feel of just the two of them. That's when the show really sings.

• Love 8

Yes @thesupremediva1 - yes, yes, yes to everything you said!

When they dropped Letty off at Estelle's and we didn't get to see her goodbye with Javier, I was so disappointed and then - boom! - bus station heaven lol.  I thought he was going to say, "You came..." but "I think you are a magician" worked too.

And in other news, nobody does a slo-mo power walk like Michelle Dockery.  (And although it didn't happen in this episode, bonus points for when the walk ends with her taking off an expensive pair of sunglasses Letty has stolen.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TaraS1 said:

Ditto for Agent Backup calling Lashever out with some obvious truths she didn't want to hear.  

Part of me agrees with you, part of me wonders if Agent Backup would disrespect Lashever if the character were male. Well, no I don't actually wonder. Wouldn't happen. Still. It was a required reckoning, and due to the Rules of Dramatic Conservation, Agent Backup was the only one there to deliver it.  I may have preferred if the responding punch-out had been delivered by Rhonda rather than Christian, but that's a quibble. Terry Kinney needed an alpha-male moment.

I loved the sincerely warm embrace between Rob and Letty when she came to pick up the car.  I loved the exchange of 'love you's' between Letty and Christian.  I loved the single figure waiting by the Danville depot, greeted by the car. I loved the "You've got the nicest head of hair of any man over 30 I've ever seen."

I am totally looking forward to the evidence closet heist. I hope we see it!

What's going on with Ava and Teo?!?!?! Foreboding!

• Love 6

Wow. Rob. He sure hit Estelle where she lived. Good for him. It's about time she heard some hard truths she likes to dish out with a shovel and trowel. (Reminds of one of those silly memes - Everyone loves you for your honesty until you're honest with them. Then you're an asshole). Granted, Letty doesn't get to blame anyone but herself for her life but Estelle still had it coming.

Are they really going to rob the FBI evidence? If not what would Rhonda tell her superiors? That she only let them go because she promised to steal the money from the FBI for her? Or that Agent Backup is right and she really is too incompetent to do her job and they got away?

Okay Teo. what's your interest in all of this? Did Teo kill Silk? For now I'm believing he did.

Edited by CKTV123

I loved the interaction between Letty and Javier - “lightening doesn’t strike twice” “Yes it does. Just not in the same place.” I thought that summed up Letty’s character really well- she always gets her own way no matter what she has to do to get it. She’s very strong and I like that about her. But I also was touched at Javier’s determination to get Letty free and equally Letty’s determination to take Javier with her - I think that moment was as good as an ‘I love you’ because you could really see how painful saying goodbye really was for both of them. Anyone else getting the sense that something really awful happened to Letty in prison or before hand? There was something about the way she talked in this episode that made me think it as well as in the second episode when she described a rapist as “the worst thing a person can be”. 

Also love Letty’s continuing movie references.

Edited by Sim
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, attica said:
3 hours ago, TaraS1 said:

Ditto for Agent Backup calling Lashever out with some obvious truths she didn't want to hear.  

Part of me agrees with you, part of me wonders if Agent Backup would disrespect Lashever if the character were male. Well, no I don't actually wonder. Wouldn't happen. Still. It was a required reckoning, and due to the Rules of Dramatic Conservation, Agent Backup was the only one there to deliver it.  I may have preferred if the responding punch-out had been delivered by Rhonda rather than Christian, but that's a quibble. Terry Kinney needed an alpha-male moment.

I'm with you about the casual misogyny, attica. However, it's so obvious that Ann Dowd is having a grand time that I can't get too upset. And Agent Backup was kind of a tool.

Rob asking how there could be a fallen tree when they'd come that way was priceless. "Since then!" "Oh!" He's such a dumb, lovable, golden retriever. And then he nails it with Estelle's motivations. Rob is the best, and I think he's used the perfect amount. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 9
53 minutes ago, Sim said:

Anyone else getting the sense that something really awful happened to Letty in prison or before hand? There was something about the way she talked in this episode that made me think it as well as in the second episode when she described a rapist as “the worst thing a person can be”. 

I've wondered that since last season.  Even in the pilot, when Javier is spitting her life story back at her, he mentions that she made suicide attempts.  I always wondered why.

• Love 1

I think a lot of us predicted that Lashever would use Letty and Javier to fry some bigger fish, but I wasn't expecting them to flip that around and have Letty and Javier convince her that they could help. Lashever really does seem to only be in this line of work for personal glory and vengeance, and they pushed the right buttons. Letty is amazing at reading people and knowing what buttons to push; I'm glad the show has stuck firmly to that quality of hers.

1 hour ago, CKTV123 said:

Are they really going to rob the FBI evidence? If not what would Rhonda tell her superiors? That she only let them go because she promised to steal the money from the FBI for her? Or that Agent Backup is right and she really is too incompetent to do her job and they got away?

It looks like what's going to happen is that Lashever is going to get information about a raid and then Letty is going to steal the money first before the FBI can get there, then give the money to Lashever. If the FBI get there too late, the money never gets entered into evidence and they're technically not stealing from the FBI.

• Love 6

It looks like what's going to happen is that Lashever is going to get information about a raid and then Letty is going to steal the money first before the FBI can get there, then give the money to Lashever. If the FBI get there too late, the money never gets entered into evidence and they're technically not stealing from the FBI.

Ah HA!!! Thank you . I hadn't thought of that. 

Only now had a chance to watch. Another incredibly fun, wonderful episode. I just love this show.

Most points have already been mentioned, so just a couple things to add:

--Javier, standing in front of the bus station in that pose... cool as you please. What a lovely sight. So nice of them to linger for a time.

--I was glad that Letty drove away before Estelle could talk to her. I appreciated Rob's argument, but yeah, she pretty much deserved that.

--I don't know what the ratings are like, but I sincerely hope they renew. The premise can't go on forever, but I hope for at least one more season.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, helenamonster said:

I think a lot of us predicted that Lashever would use Letty and Javier to fry some bigger fish, but I wasn't expecting them to flip that around and have Letty and Javier convince her that they could help.

Yep.  Didn't except it to go down like this - but this is so much cleaner.  The FBI isn't looking for him, Lashever is.  They do this job and they don't have to worry about the FBI...just whoever is trying to kill Javier ;)

I thought this was a great episode.  A good mix of comedy/drama but emotion too ("I'm sorry I kidnapped you" ::sniff::).  I also loved their approaches to the situation.  Letty kept assessing, looking for any advantage or armor c****.  Javier was trying to protect her and was willing to fall on his sword for her. 

Rob remains the best.  And Estelle, did she ever screw up.  What she did is not so unlike what Letty did - but Letty thought better about it.  I don't see Letty letting this go easily.  I think her driving away from Estelle was a neat twist of the knife.

7 hours ago, Sim said:

Also love Letty’s continuing movie references.

Agent Backup even looked like Cameron from Ferris Beuller.  What would have made it perfect is Javier going, "Beuller?" 

16 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I think I'm going to like the next few episodes where they go all in on breaking the law.

This should be so much fun. 

• Love 3

I think Lashever believes that is the plan. However, I imagine Letty and Javier are setting her up and are going to get an unexpected assist from Agent Backup.

What's Teo up to?

I have to admit I had to watch the last two episodes to understand what was going on. But when I did I liked it. And usually with crime storylines I hate when they bring relationships into it but it plays well in thi series.

I forgot to mention how much I loved the drinking game, especially Christian's, "I used to be a parole officer, I used to be a professor, I was an actor on NCIS..."  Nice callback to him pretending to be an actor from NCIS last season lol.  I also thought Juan was especially fabulous in that scene.  We don't get to see Javier smiling and being light-hearted that often, even if it was just a ruse to get Backup drunk.

• Love 6

Okay this episode was off the rails for me, and I really do adore this show.  It is beyond ridiculous. And, what in the hell is Ann Dowd doing with her "reading" of her part, it is just bad acting, (and honey this woman is a fantastic actress), so I am going to blame it on the script.  Can we have just SOME reality in this crazy show, maybe? But I have to say, I love love love Rod or Ron or whatever his name is that is married to Letty's mom....he is a national treasure!  Hopefully the next episode will be better, this one was just INSANE. 

On 11/8/2017 at 5:29 PM, atlantaloves said:

Okay this episode was off the rails for me, and I really do adore this show.  It is beyond ridiculous. And, what in the hell is Ann Dowd doing with her "reading" of her part, it is just bad acting, (and honey this woman is a fantastic actress), so I am going to blame it on the script.  Can we have just SOME reality in this crazy show, maybe? But I have to say, I love love love Rod or Ron or whatever his name is that is married to Letty's mom....he is a national treasure!  Hopefully the next episode will be better, this one was just INSANE. 

I thought it was just me. I enjoy this show but this episode was GOD AWFUL.  There wasn't anything remotely near reality.  They couldn't come up with a reason to put Letty & Javier in danger without this BS?   I love Rod too!  

• Love 1
On 11/6/2017 at 11:47 AM, dubbel zout said:

Rob asking how there could be a fallen tree when they'd come that way was priceless. "Since then!" "Oh!" He's such a dumb, lovable, golden retriever. And then he nails it with Estelle's motivations. Rob is the best, and I think he's used the perfect amount

See, the bit about the tree really didn't make that much sense.  The policeman said if fell 'about a mile back'.  Well Rob was "just there" a few minutes ago (even driving 20 miles an hour, that's 3 minutes).  Could a tree really fall and be reported to the police that quickly, especially with several other cars already pulled over?  Now, if the cop had said the tree fell 5-8 miles back, that's slightly more believeable.  But 1 mile?  Nope.

But yes, Rob's analysis of Estelle was dead on.

And I also loved how Letty continued to observe and think and observe and think.  She almost made it out of the room, real bad timing for Flash, after arranging for Agent Backup to get stone drunk.  And then thanks to that as well, got Agent Backup to loosen his mouth and say some truths about Lavesher that Letty was then able to use to finally identify a way for them both to 'get out of jail free'.

I just lol'd at the "its a sign".

On 11/6/2017 at 7:33 AM, TaraS1 said:

And as awesome as Ann Dowd is, Lashever only works in small doses for me...

Me too. In fact, I'm beginning to wonder just how awesome Ann Dowd is. She always makes an incredible first impression. But the more you see her in The Leftovers, The Handmaid's Tale, and Good Behavior, the more alike her characters start to seem. Like, we've now seen everything she can do.

• Love 1