Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

Think of it this way, are there any characters you don't really like/care about but still think were important to the show?

I'm going to preface this by saying that I've only been watching for a decade so I missed most of the good stuff with this show.

Robin - I totally understand how important she is to the show's history but I've never liked her. I don't feel like most current soap writers know how to write morally good characters without making them annoying, judgmental, boring, saintly shrews. That's how I see Robin. If this were the real world I'm sure I'd like her but as a soap character she bores and irritates me. Basically, I agree with the Saint Robin nickname some people have given her. 

• Love 1

I'm going to preface this by saying that I've only been watching for a decade so I missed most of the good stuff with this show.

Robin - I totally understand how important she is to the show's history but I've never liked her. I don't feel like most current soap writers know how to write morally good characters without making them annoying, judgmental, boring, saintly shrews. That's how I see Robin. If this were the real world I'm sure I'd like her but as a soap character she bores and irritates me. Basically, I agree with the Saint Robin nickname some people have given her.

I always wished they had given her more opportunities to be fun and witty like her parents. I like her but don't enjoy her the way I enjoyed her parents, back when they were allowed to be good but humorous.

A lot of that has to do with the change in tone of the show over the years and - as you point out - the seeming inability of current soap writers to see good characters as interesting.

At the time, I wished Robin HAD told the Michael secret out of spite ... and thoroughly enjoyed it and went back and laughed in stupid Carly's face about it. That would have been a very Anna-when-you-really-pissed-her-off thing to do, and thus highly entertaining to me.

• Love 1

. . . . but are you also saying you agree she's been important to the show?

I always wished they had given her more opportunities to be fun and witty like her parents. I like her but don't enjoy her the way I enjoyed her parents, back when they were allowed to be good but humorous.

A lot of that has to do with the change in tone of the show over the years and - as you point out - the seeming inability of current soap writers to see good characters as interesting.

At the time, I wished Robin HAD told the Michael secret out of spite ... and thoroughly enjoyed it and went back and laughed in stupid Carly's face about it. That would have been a very Anna-when-you-really-pissed-her-off thing to do, and thus highly entertaining to me.

Kinda also one of the one of the reasons I regret they gave her HIV. I'm convinced they didn't want to make a character with HIV too rude, mean, etc.

Dammit, Ulkis, you owe me a latte tomorrow morning! Here’s mine, and it was tough. You don’t know how much it killed me to leave Robin off this list. And Lila. And Alan. And Ruby. Frisco & Felicia. Sonny warranted serious consideration as well. But here goes, my case for the top 10 characters, ever, on GH:

Je ne regrette rien! 

I left off Sonny for mostly the reasons Slovak Princess listed. Great character in the 90s, part of a great couple, but I don't think he reinvented the wheel for anything. He was just a good example of the bad boy with a heart of gold archtype.

• Love 2
I left off Sonny for mostly the reasons Slovak Princess listed. Great character in the 90s, part of a great couple, but I don't think he reinvented the wheel for anything. He was just a good example of the bad boy with a heart of gold archtype.

Sonny didn't make my list because while he redefined General Hospital beginning in about 2000 (until then, he was an important part of an ensemble), that show is fumes compared to what General Hospital once was. 

And, when I analyzed who belonged more on this list -- Robert Scorpio or Sonny Corinthos -- I came up with the fact that Robert was the lead on this show for about 10 years and he exemplified law and order the entire time. He was a good guy, and the good guys always won. ALWAYS.  That's difficult to do and stay interesting.  Being bad and getting away with it time and time again is easy. And lazy. Plus, Sonny took a lot of characters down, some even good and interesting, in order for him to be propped up.  He drained this show.

Plus, if we go by the importance one has on the basis of being one half of a popular coupling, Frisco and Felicia beat Sonny and Brenda hands down, six days a weeks.  No competition.  And I'd put Sonny and Brenda in the top 5.  But that's just how much the drop off is between No. 2 and the next contenders.

Edited by Francie
  • Love 4

I always wished they had given her more opportunities to be fun and witty.

I think they did, especially since she came back for the long haul in 2005. The Robin with Patrick was hilarious and snarky and had attitude. I've never seen this "perfection" some people see unless they're just talking about her not doing crazy shit like a lot of the other characters i.e. cheating, stealing, lying, etc.

And Robin/Carly's showdowns were always amazing. Robin gave it as much as she was given it.

• Love 3
And Robin/Carly's showdowns were always amazing. Robin gave it as much as she was given it.

That's what made them so satisfying. Robin could more than hold her own against Carly. I loved how it always drove Carly NUTS that Robin and Jason had been a couple—it was something Carly and Jason would never be. I think that pushed Carly to be especially awful to Robin, who knew it and didn't let it get the better of her. And of course Carly hated that everyone in town loved Robin. 

Edited by dubbel zout
  • Love 4

I did enjoy that time she slapped the shit out of Carly (LW version)....

I will also go on record as saying that I could have enjoyed and even liked Carly as a lying schemer - if she were smart about it and ever took responsibility for her plans failing.

I was almost more offended by her stupidity in being a jerk to Robin during the Michael secret than I was by the wrongness of her actions. Let's see ... the only reason Robin will lie for you is her love for Jason -- hey, let's ruin their relationship! Idiot. And Carly refused to ever see how stupid her actions were, even from the selfish perspective of "well, I really shot myself in the foot, didn't i?"

Jason was a passive ninny in that situation (much like he is now!), and I disdain him for that reason.

Edited by SlovakPrincess

That's what made them so satisfying. Robin could more than hold her own against Carly. I loved how it always drove Carly NUTS that Robin and Jason had been a couple—it was something Carly and Jason would never be. I think that pushed Carly to be especially awful to Robin, who knew it and didn't let it get the better of her. And of course Carly hated that everyone in town loved Robin. 

It's interesting to note here that even Carly's OWN MOTHER can't necessarily side with her on hating Robin or Liz--Bobbie was friends with Anna and knew Robin as a child, and she liked Liz because of her relationship with Lucky (and of course, came to Liz's aid after she was raped), so Carly loses even in that sense, too.

The ONLY reason Carly hated Robin was because of Jason. She wanted Jason's sole love and attention, and as long as Robin was in the picture, she wasn't going to get it. Then she used the Michael reveal as a way to validate her hate.

But I love that Carly may have been a part of why Robin and Jason ended romantically, but she never could break their bond. One of the things the show did right was Jason and Robin's "forever" type connection. What they meant to each other went beyond dating.

• Love 1

I looooved that one scene a couple of years ago when Brenda was just ranting about Carly and she went, "oh, and you know she thinks she owns Jason, right?" and Robin just said "I know" in this "please, tell me something I don't know" tone.

The ONLY reason Carly hated Robin was because of Jason. She wanted Jason's sole love and attention, and as long as Robin was in the picture, she wasn't going to get it. Then she used the Michael reveal as a way to validate her hate.

But I love that Carly may have been a part of why Robin and Jason ended romantically, but she never could break their bond. One of the things the show did right was Jason and Robin's "forever" type connection. What they meant to each other went beyond dating.

I almost wish Robin had never told Michael's paternity, and went to Paris after breaking up with Jason, so almost 20 years later we could see Carly muttering to herself, why is Jason STILL not with me?? Robin must be doing in something in Paris to prevent him, I know it!

• Love 2

I almost wish Robin had never told Michael's paternity, and went to Paris after breaking up with Jason, so almost 20 years later we could see Carly muttering to herself, why is Jason STILL not with me?? Robin must be doing in something in Paris to prevent him, I know it!

Thank you, Steve Burton! Hee.

• Love 1

Carly always conveniently forgets the part where she tells Jason she will run away with him and Michael ... and then runs and tells the Qs that Jason is scary and violent and kidnapped Michael. And then she marries AJ. And sleeps with Sonny.

But, yes, totally Robin's fault that didn't work out for her ... again, I just want Carly to take ownership of why her plans don't work! (Hint: it's not Robin or AJs fault.)

• Love 3

I just found this the other day. I love how SHOCKED Carly is at the idea that Jason just MIGHT want to put Sam above her, since, you know, she was about to become his wife. How DARE he? 

And how when he was married to SWSNBN, it "was different" because she was more understanding. LMAO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HSNNgXAhtA

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Carly picks a fight and smacks Hannah Scott in the face, 1999. It's so weird to look at this and NOT go, "That's JJ's WIFE." Lisa Vultaggio was 26 at the time (which is how old I am NOW), and JJ was only 17. I know they weren't together until after he was a legal adult, but it's still a little weird. Funny, this stuff aired right before Lucky was presumed dead. 

Also, I love how Carly tries to say Jason should like her because she's "good in bed." She is PATHETIC. 

I watched the rest. Oh good, Bobbie walked away. You gotta love how Carly always calls someone self-righteous and sitting on a high horse when they call her out on her bullshit.

• Love 7

I watched the rest. Oh good, Bobbie walked away. You gotta love how Carly always calls someone self-righteous and sitting on a high horse when they call her out on her bullshit.

THANK YOU! This is one of my issues with Carly and the Carly vs Robin debates. Robin is constantly called self righteous and holier than thou, when I watching Robin, yes she will call wrong is wrong, but I think most of the time she will keep her opinions to herself and doesn't tell others how to either run their own lives or why she is superior to them,while Carly will do just that. 

• Love 3

I wish they'd just quit airing new eps of GH and just show 93-99 in its entirety, starting with L&L's return and ending with Lucky's death. When I think of GH, its those six years that I always think of.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 4

Why did you do this to me UYI

Here AJ is talking about having another christening and re-naming Michael (aw, James was a good suggestion) and Carly is ranting and raving about how Michael needs some stability and they should keep the name, because Michael has had 2 fathers and 5 cribs and how could AJ be so SELFISH. God, wench, whose fault is it that Michael has had 5 cribs?

• Love 1

When Jason was sleeping with Carly and she followed Robin to the park for 4th of July.

His last line to Carly (about Robin): Don't ever hurt her.

I never really understood the whole pass he got on sleeping with Carly because of the brain damage since it was obvious he knew what he was doing was wrong.

https://youtu.be/mlbJsqq7obA?t=190

Sonny: I want the smell of you out of here! 

this is the man Carly is choosing to marry for the 5th time.

That line is somehow even worse to me than "pushy little whore", which is what Sonny calls her two seconds before that. It's so . . . dehumanizing, like she's a farm animal.

I think Carly and Sonny were very interesting back then. But I can't root for them together. I think deep down, Sonny still sees Carly as trash.

• Love 4

Liz and Nik's first scene. Weird!l

Liz: Everyone in Port Charles has said such fantastic things about you!

Stefan: Is that so?

heh

Edited by ulkis

I forgot about Nikolas' Dante hair.

Sonny and Nikolas argue over who is worse. I'm surprised this video clip didn't go on for 5 hours.

And Sonny's explanation of why called Jaxy "Candyboy" is such bullshit. He called Jax candyboy cause he was sweet on the surface but he would melt when trouble came? lol what. Please writers,it was him implying Jax was a pussy and it was a vague gay/gender slur.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 6

Was watching some old clips last night and LOL'ing at how many characters literally were YELLING at Patrick to move on from Robin after she "died." There was this moment where Anna was like, "YOU HAVE TO!!!!" I was crying.

Edited by HeatLifer

Oh my Lord, the scene where Anna tells Patrick that he has to move on or he will lose Sabrina, JT's face almost read "and that would be bad why?".

Here is an old scene from after Scrubs first break up - I loved the way that they had Anna and Robert interact with them:

And, a month later, after Patrick pricked himself with an needle covered in the blood of a patient with AIDS:

Edited by cmahorror
  • Love 2

Know what I love about this? That there were no constant commercial interruptions when Robin is telling Jason that she told AJ the truth. Just came right out and said it.

And I couldn't watch the last five minutes. I just couldn't. Not when I know what that midgety moobster is about to tell Robin.

Damn right Robin did the right thing.

And yes, Jason; you are STUPID.

This was a joke. Carly runs off after having her kid, Jason steals the child from the hospital. Jason is just as guilty as Carly he lied by omission. Robin is guilty of keeping the secret for a while. But we know Robin is the bad guy why? for telling the truth. Talk about an oxymoron ! Carly did everything she could to slither between Robin and Jason. So finally Robin realized Carly would use Michael anyway she could and at this time Jason was brain damaged. Stupid works also. Sonny looking down from his high horse made me ill. Sonny makes me gag. The marriage coming up they deserve each other and everything they will do to each other. Robin won . she ended up with Patrick ,and until K. Mc wanted to leave . I stopped liking Robin not because of this but because she always stuck up for Sonny. When she was away from the mob and with Patrick fine. I liked AJ .I thought Billy Warlock could act rings around the rest of them on his worse day. I just wish Ron had brought back Billy W to play A.J . ESPECIALLY TO SEE MICHAEL BECOME A Q.

I honestly don't know if BW would EVER come back, even with Guza long gone. Given how many times his AJ was thrown under the bus, he may still carry the scars a decade later (and seeing how SK's AJ eventually wound up under the bus probably didn't help, either).

Edited by UYI
  • Love 3

Reading the Sam McCall thread and can I say, I love Give!No!Fucks!Sam, I wouldn't be surprise JFP/Guza went out to outright vilify(especially her just happening upon the exact moment Liz turned her head and Jake was kidnapped, and not saying anything) her because her criticism of Jason were spot on and the audience was liking that. She gave up everything to be his ride and die chick, she ended up getting shot in uterus from being around him and he knocks up Liz right after. And how much I hate how the show went out of its way so Jason wouldn't be the bad guy. Lucky, Sam and Liz were all dirtied up to make sure that Jason's noble hitman was seen as golden, all of which made me hate him more.

• Love 4

I feel like the writers just don't CARE anymore. About history, about realism. I mean, having Patrick tell Liz that MAXIE should be involved in her wedding? SERIOUSLY? I'm happy to add another DOUCHEBAG notch to Patrick's belt, but this is just ridiculous.

Oh my Lord, the scene where Anna tells Patrick that he has to move on or he will lose Sabrina, JT's face almost read "and that would be bad why?".

Here is an old scene from after Scrubs first break up - I loved the way that they had Anna and Robert interact with them:

And, a month later, after Patrick pricked himself with an needle covered in the blood of a patient with AIDS:

Is it just me or does Robin look like Olivia in that screenshot? You can say it's just me!

I'm also interested in hearing the list of 10 Worst Characters that was put up elsewhere from this board's perspective. I know we have a lot of horrible people on canvas now, but don't forget about the awful ones that used to be around. Garin Wolfe - I'm looking at your tenure.

The absolute worst would probably be the characters who are not at all memorable.   But I will give my list of characters that I think, in the long run, turned out to be really damaging for the show as a whole:

1.  Well, duh, Sonny.  He owns this category.  He had his moments with Brenda, although I never loved this couple.  I acknowledge his popularity in the 90s ... but he has been so over-exposed, and has been allowed to do more and more egregious things while everyone excuses it.        

Oh, and the mob -- it's super-boring!

2.  Brenda.  Ok, ok, I'm just kind of mad at her because she helped to make Sonny popular ... although she did seem to kick off a trend of women losing their personalities and morals for their menfolk ...

My for real no. 2:   2.  Luke.  I blame him for kicking off the show's long-running anti-hero worship, where this one "lovable jerk" male character is supposedly so cool.  Not to mention TG's obsession with making Luke ever darker ... 

3.   Jason.  There was a time when this character worked quite well.  But Saint Jasus the Friendly Hitman has really done a number on the show.   Along with Sonny, he skewed the moral universe on GH.  And his passivity drives me up the damn wall.  The current scourge of ruined characters getting thrown under the bus for this Jake-is-Jason story (while he smiles blankly, oblivious) is beyond the pale.   

4.  Faison.   Sorry, I liked Anna and Robert's backstory a million times better before Mr. Creepy Stalker came along.  I think Anders Hove is very talented.  But things always get cartoony and unpleasant when Faison comes to town, and he's a card carrying member of the Undead and Always Winning Villain Club.   He started the Let's-All-Kidnap-Robin-and-Ruin-Her-Life trend, so he needs to die painfully (and for real this time).

5.  Helena.  This is another character that helped to turn the show into a cartoon with the undead villains always coming out on top.  In fact, she's even more egregious than Faison.  We get it, Show, nice people are boring and deserve to be tormented ... while Helena and her ilk are fun and fierce, so they get to keep winning and the writing will always find a way to save them!   It's juvenile and it's sick.

6.   Franco.  Every incarnation of this character is disgusting.  

7.   Nina.  This character actually could have worked, if they had taken the story and the character's plight of waking from a coma seriously.  The combination of dangerous psycho who does gross things ... and child-like weirdness ... and "humor" is ... ugh.

8.  Alexis.  The stereotype of smart women making really, really stupid choices (repeatedly!) is not something I enjoy.  Alexis has had her moments, and for a while in the mid 2000s I really liked her.  But Sonny, Ric, Julian ... and these last two especially after she acknowledged Sonny was a monster and she'd made a big mistake.  Ugh.  

9.  Carly.  I actually hesitate to list her, because there really is a place for a brassy know-it-all and schemer like Carly on a soap opera ... if you give them a few knocks once in a while.  But so many other characters got chewed up and spit out for her.  

10.  Michael.   Really, it's more what Michael symbolizes ... the Baby Michael saga started the Jason propping.  It was the beginning of the end for poor AJ (and Tony!).  It was the beginning of Sonny's child-hoarding.  It was the beginning of "it wasn't Robin's secret to tell!"   GAAAAHH!  

Honorable mention:   Sabrina.  She sucked the life out of Patrick like a succubus, apparently, and now she's done it to Michael.  She tried to kill another woman's fetus and somehow still gets treated like little Mary Sunshine.  She convinced Michael to return baby AJ to Sonny ... thereby undoing the only payoff us Sonny-haters were ever likely to get!   For that, she is the devil.  

Dr. Olbrecht - I hate everything about her, and she almost got Nina's slot, but Nina gets more screentime, so ....

And you know what?  I've worked myself into a rage, so I am going to put Sleeves on this list.  Stupid Brenda ....

Edited by SlovakPrincess
  • Love 5

You know it. Robin will take all the blame for being imprisoned and not finding a way to free herself. She should have tried harder because you know Patrick was the best thing to happen to her. She was so lucky a guy like him even wanted to be with her.

At this point, I'm not sure if I'd even watch her return. I can't deal with her doing anything less than grabbing her daughters, and saying bye you sorry *****.

It's just so funny to me in a way because the writers are the ones who wrote this sequence of events:

1. Robin leaves to save Jason. Patrick is not happy.

2. Patrick throws Robin's picture against the wall and tells Liz that he loves Robin, but hates her.

3. Patrick is pissed he has no communication with Robin. They have a phone convo about her not being there for Emma or Shamwow. He tells Anna their marriage is dunzo.

4. Patrick sees Robin at clinic. Is pissed she's nearby but won't visit. Throws Sam in her face. Robin tells him she can't leave the clinic. Tells him Jason is dead to protect him and Sam. Tells him she has to work but she wants him to wait for her. He tells her to have fun with dead bodies and he wants a divorce. She says she'll love him forever.

5. Patrick shaves his beard and gets all up in Sam.

6. Robin is threatened by Victor.

7. Robin Skypes with Emma, Patrick hides behind a door, refusing to talk to her.

8. Robin is chained to a wall.

9. Jason is resurrected and saved Robin.

10. They escape to reunite with their loved ones.

11. Helena threatens Robin and her fam. Robin has to lie and say she's broken and going to Paris for good.

12. Patrick/Anna find out about Faison and Victor and the clinic.

13. Patrick/Anna know Helena is alive.

14. No one cares and it's been almost a year.

15. Patrick tells Emma Robin has a bed in Paris.

16. Liz tells everyone at the Nurse's Ball that Robin is happy in Paris.

And now...

17. Suddenly Anna knows where Robin is staying in Paris, and talked to a housekeeper who said a Robin is in China.

So I ask...

What part is Robin's fault?

Why did Patrick divorce Robin?

Why do her loved ones have an excuse?

ITA, Everything you stated is true.

It will be her fault because the writers will make it so. They will begin to apologize and Robin will cry and say, "no, no, no, your are not to blame. Don't beat yourself up. I shold have left better clues or tried harder to escape."

Yep, I'm so done with this FAKATA show.

Edited by BestestAuntEver

ITA, Everything you stated is true.

It will be her fault because the writers will make it so. They will begin to apologize and Robin will cry and say, "no, no, no, your are not to blame. Don't beat yourself up. I shold have left better clues or tried harder to escape."

Yep, I'm so done with this FAKATA show.

Of course! They WILL change it. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in a week, Anna will claim to have spoken to Robin and she's shopping in Italy now.

This show will do anything to cover their OWN story. The fact is, Patrick divorced Robin because she left to save Jason and then wouldn't come home. The fact is, Anna and Patrick have more than enough information to figure out something isn't right. Nik and Liz, too. The fact is, Robin has essentially been a prisoner since the second she walked in the clinic.

This all happened.

They wrote this.

• Love 1