Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

I also adore how dismissive/uninterested Skye is in Jason's "death".

That was always something I liked about her. Skye really was quite good with the whole not giving two fucks about certain people. We need more Skyes on this show right now, like say...fifty.

• Love 1

I remember we were hearing for weeks how the bodyguard died. It was so stupid. "No! What's-his-face died!" I know it wasn't Johnny, because he was around later. It was little better than off-screen Cook dying.

Here's a question - how did Jason and AJ react when Monica and Alan first adopted Emily?

I know Jason loved her, back when Steve actually seemed to have some energy for acting and he smiled and everything. I believe AJ was fine with the adoption as well, I can't recall him having a problem with Emily, he mostly targeted Jason back then and he was drinking heavily and getting into all kinds of trouble.

It wasn't too long after Emily's adoption that the car crashed happened as well, I think a year or so.

I found this though...goodness it takes me back. Stu and Leslie were just the best. And how things might  have turned out differently if the real Emily had stuck around.

Edited by CPP83

Amber and Stuart just had such a great charm and chemistry together, their scenes often brought a smile to my face. Those are the type of family scenes that have just practically vanished on this show, imho. Family is a distance third to everything else the writers seem determined to write about.

They seem too preoccupied with glorifying violence and creating different hook ups and couples and kidnappings in-between, it's just insane to me. 

• Love 4

I still think it would be really easy to recon Alan's death. Just say Jerry faked the death and stashed him away somewhere.

If Stuart is too ill, bring him in for one episode where Alan is found. He can be in a hospital bed and have minimum lines. From there, we get lines about how is recovering and spending time with Monica, Danny, Lila Rae, etc off screen. If Stuart is well enough to ever appear, bring him in co a few scenes and he can be sitting and have minimal dialogue. The important thing is that Alan would be alive.

I still think it would be really easy to recon Alan's death. Just say Jerry faked the death and stashed him away somewhere.

I wrote fan fic with that as a plot. Jerry had a bunch of people stashed away. Ron should take it and run with it. Go for broke. 

*snort* 

I know at one point (especially when they thought the show would be off in fall 2012) they badly wanted to resurrect Alan - I think the idea was that Anna would find him stashed away with Robin. I think it's something they've always wanted to do, and it would make me so happy, but to my understanding Stuart Damon is very ill. I wish they could find a way to work it.

• Love 1

While looking up some old GH clips to try and forget today's wash of an episode I found this little gem -

Wow, in under a minute they had Edward, AJ, Bobbie, Zander, and Taggert in a suit looking damn delicious, discussing Emily while at GH.

Those were the days...

• Love 3

At this point, I would take absolutely anything that retconned the deaths of Alan & George.

They could find them off-screen at one of Vic's facilities, reunite with their families and be totally off-screen. I just want them both alive.

• Love 1

Anything dealing with Ron and retcons frightens the stuffing right out of me. I would love to have so many characters risen from the dead or just brought back on the show but then I see what Ron has done with the characters he's had access to, especially the vets and...I just have no hope, no hope it'd go well.

• Love 1

At this point, I would take absolutely anything that retconned the deaths of Alan & George.

They could find them off-screen at one of Vic's facilities, reunite with their families and be totally off-screen. I just want them both alive.

I am banking on them doing it for the end of the show. I would love for them to bring back Emily and Georgie too - IIRC Georgie wanted to go to med school, you can just say Helena and co. had these ladies all working away in some lab on some evil project like Robin and maybe used Georgie to leverage Frisco. But I will settle for Alan. Bringing back A.J. goes without saying and is a whole separate issue.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

When did Sonny get over his claustrophobia?  Didn't they used to trot that out as a reason that everyone (including viewers) should turn a blind eye to his criminal activities; because Sonny wouldn't survive the panic attacks that would follow even a short confinement.

• Love 1
When did Sonny get over his claustrophobia?  Didn't they used to trot that out as a reason that everyone (including viewers) should turn a blind eye to his criminal activities; because Sonny wouldn't survive the panic attacks that would follow even a short confinement.

Guza used that excuse often, Ron doesn't seem to really care to keep things consistent. I'm sure it'll become an issue eventually if he ever remembers or decides it'd make his job easier somehow.

I'm pretty sure he is still claustrophobic. I think he referenced it to Alexis the other day and he is not looking well in that cell.

Ditto. We just aren't being beaten over the head with it. Thank goodness. And Carly is too wrapped up in her own pain and selfishness to whine about it to anyone, heh.

• Love 2

This was mentioned the other day in the UO thread, so here's the A&M rape scene:

Of course, like I said before, due to the commercial break in the middle of this clip, part of me wants to fanwank this as Monica stopping Alan before he went too far, because this is almost as bad as Luke & Laura, in that I don't think this was ever addressed again.

Actually, for some reason I remember someone saying they DID talk about it at some point around the 30th anniversary in 1993, but I have no idea if that's true or not. 

For the record, I think this took place after the Campus Disco scene, Alan trying to drop the roof on her and Rick, and AJ's birth. 

Also, if Monica was raped here? It was actually for the second time, because she raped by Greg Adamson, her onetime foster dad/Gail's then-husband, when she was a teenager who went between foster homes while growing up in an orphanage in St. Louis. 

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

Alan and Monica always struck me as being pure bodice-ripper material. A lot of their scenes were sexually charged in an angry way and they were extremely over the top in the way that those books often were... crossing lines in a lot of places but also making it pretty obvious that, no matter what, they were still really really into each other.

Who else recalls when Juan believed that Sonny was his father? I found a clip of Sonny and Juan at Lily's grave, and man...the Maurice back then was just a different man and actor. Looking at him today, it's like night and day, especially in his face and eyes.

I always thought Maurice then was a good looking man back when, he had the dark brooding anti-hero role down to a science then, they just ruined him by trying to make him a "good guy" on top of it without actually changing who he was and what he did, it was just never going to work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxM_0CsRWzs

I still though get a chuckle that Miguel, aka Mr. "Shake Your Bon-Bon", ended up being Juan's father. If I am not mistaken Ricky is in fact younger than Michael, so it's probably a good thing they never had to share any scenes, talk about your father looking young enough to be your brother.

But Miguel and Lily were pretty sweet together, they certainly made a good looking couple together though I could have done without Ricky's long hair. 

A purely selfish request: can someone tell me the story of the General Homicide murders? Share clips? I started watching durin the Nurse's Ball that year (although I was more a PC fan than GH at first... Preteen me was lured in by Juan) and would love to relive the whole story.

A purely selfish request: can someone tell me the story of the General Homicide murders? Share clips? I started watching durin the Nurse's Ball that year (although I was more a PC fan than GH at first... Preteen me was lured in by Juan) and would love to relive the whole story.

There is a YT clipper called portcharles2013 who has very early PC clips up from June 97 to Dec 98 so far they still upload episodes General homicide April of 98 though.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 1

All I remember about General Homicide is that I was really into the storyline except that they spent like a year having everyone on PC say "it must be Julie and that damn Greg Cooper!" And then the culprits were Julie and Greg Cooper.

All I remember about General Homicide is that I was really into the storyline except that they spent like a year having everyone on PC say "it must be Julie and that damn Greg Cooper!" And then the culprits were Julie and Greg Cooper.

I thought that Julie framed Greg? And that it was just Julie all along?

The way I remember it was, Julie was Greg's brainwashed patsy or something but they both did some of the crimes. Or something. It was just pointless in the end.

IIRC, Greg Cooper was a former doctor with the rest of the PC interns. Julie's father was some bad dude - Bennett Devlin? I can't remember what his deal was. Rich and evil or something. I liked Julie with Chris Ramsay but I couldn't believe she was still on the show after helping to kill a bunch of folks. I also wished they'd brought more of those characters back over to GH, specifically Chris. If Nolan North wasn't king of the video game and voice acting world today I'm sure Ron and Frank might give it a shot.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 1

Christina Collins is Julie and Chris's biological daughter.

No shes Franks child.She was named after Chris as he agreed to help Julie.He married her.He delivered the baby.I always thought Frank was the one who got screwed over in that story lol.

• Love 1

No shes Franks child.She was named after Chris as he agreed to help Julie.He married her.He delivered the baby.I always thought Frank was the one who got screwed over in that story lol.

You're absolutely right. I've been up all night and spaced.

Isn't Christina- not Kristina Corinthos, but the Christina that Kevin and Lucy adopted the child of Julie and Chris Ramsey? Or was it Eve and Chris? I remember Eve was pregnant and ran away and met Micheal the priest, brother to Caleb Morley.

Christina was  adopted by Scott and Lucy, when they were married. Kevin was with Eve Lambert at the time.  When Julie kidnapped her, it tore apart Scott's and Lucy's marriage. Scott spent a fortune looking for and would fly out when ever he got a tip to their whereabouts. When Julie was dying and decided to return Christina, it was at Kevin and Lucy's wedding. When Scott found out Christina was back, he rushed to see her. The only reason he decided to back off (or let Kevin be the "house dad") was because Christina was so young and she needed sometime to get acclimated, but he never forfeited his rights to her and I am sure Serena would have wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.

I wanted to look something up in this thread, and I saw Angel (random Sonny love interest #278 back in the early 2000s) mentioned here, and I decided to go look up something because I know I watched her but did not even remember her face and this montage popped up in the search

That was as cheesy in its own way as some of Ron's stuff. Was that McTavish or Guza? I guess it was McTavish since endgame was her and that wasn't until late 2001.

Three things crack me up: Mike looking befuddled, Alan looking at a chart and then slowly turning towards the camera, and shirtless Max. Egads. And he's been with us that long?!?! Max has been on this show for at least 13 years? Crap.

I don't miss Tamara Braun and her hunched over head and shoulders. but she actually didn't bother me much in those days, since I didn't pay attention to Sonny and Carly at the time.

It was McTavish. 

That reminds me, there's a theory on GH's WMG page on TV Tropes that Sonny's love for Lily since his death isn't so much a retcon as it is a normal reaction to how someone can romanticize a person after they have died. I bring it up here because the clip they use as an example of this is from around the same time as the clip above:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cn1jr5g63kg

And here's the WMG page:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WMG/GeneralHospital

Edited by UYI
  • Love 1

And then those clips led me to Summer clips. My first thought was, wow, why didn't they use that woman as a Lulu when they first SORASed her (she really looks like JMB), but then I realized that having seen the actress in a role where Luke perved over her and then used her as Lulu, would be more than a little weird.

Strangely enough I think JMB and the Summer actress look a lot alike and while I saw JMB's resemblance to GF a bit, I still think neither she nor the Summer actress look THAT much like GF. Certainly not a near-twin.

I also saw a clip entitled "Sonny faces death in a dinghy." Damn you, Dinghy, for failing us. Never taking a ride across a lake in you again!

ETA: Okay, last clip, I swear, and one that is actually relevant to today's storylines lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqMTwfE5u7Q&list=UU9-Ww7KBEqUWy2a7tZ_Yr6g&index=31

I'm one of those people who don't particularly care that Michael is Quartermaine now, because I've always been annoyed or bored or both by Michael, and I didn't like SK or BW as AJ - but watching this clip I totally get why some people are really happy about it, even if Michael is a dink. Carly just snarling at him and calling a pig and hunching her shoulders and jutting out those razor sharp-elbows of doom and going on about how is AJ is gonna throw Michael down of stairs too?! and just going on and on about why dontchya just ASK Michael which father he prefers is annoying as heeeeeeeeeeell. Like, good lord, why couldn't they just share custody like regular people? Why did she have to have ALL THE CUSTODY?)

(Random observation, people say Chad Duell looks more SK's AJ but I gotta say, BW and CD do kinda have the same mouth.)

Edited by ulkis

Apropos of nothing - except that I am super-procrastinating on something right now and so am watching GH episodes from April of 1981 - I fucking love O'Reilly!  She's adorable, and Robert being so happy when she shows up at his apartment is adorable.  They must have added her to perk up the Ice Princess mystery, which had started to drag a bit at that point.  (And, also, to lay the groundwork for the big Robert Is a Spy! reveal ... which I am really looking forward to seeing). 

IIRC McTavish and Jill's work was in place until, what, April or so of 2002? I know Guza's crew may have started tinkering with it earlier; I was under the impression the "Carly is believed to be dead after a car accident" story might have been theirs. It was a lot better and more emotional than anything that had been onscreen prior. The show got good again (for awhile) almost overnight.

And then there was the absolutely vicious scene where Guza's crew skewered JFP and Megan's flustery wallflower version of Alexis in a dream she had. At least, I remember one such scene; it's been a long time. I thought that would lead to re-empowering her character and I suspect Nancy did too, and she got some great material later in the year with the pregnancy and Kristina I's death, but she went into the toilet shortly thereafter.

I can't watch that montage right now because the whole show was just so fucking terrible and it will just make me start ranting about all the horrible details.

Edited by jsbt