Type keyword(s) to search

S13.E35: One of 5 is Eliminated

• Start Topic

ALL the contestants said they hated the twist though. TPTB can't bus all of them. Or maybe they will and the winner will just be Grumpy Cat with Terry Bradshaw as the runner up.

Imo "hating the twist" and playing the game the way TPTB wanted are two different things. Caleb, Jess, and Sam apparently voted "yes" which seemed to be the way that TPTB were going. I'm glad the other two voted, "no." Don't really care who voted which way as long as there was one, "no" to foil TPTB's plans. 

I suspect there will be little to no backlash for Alex and Jena from the people who already were their fans; if you're an enthusiastic enough fan to have heard about who voted for what at all, it's pretty easy to explain the vote away to yourself as a twist that was sprung on the contestants and that none were happy about. I think the only backlash would be that fans of Sam who might have switched to voting for either Alex or Jena and now won't -- but it's hard to know if any would have anyway.

I think some of Sam's fans may be mad enough to not vote for Alex, but Sam really seems to like Alex, and his Twitter reflects that. I think some of Sam's fans will vote for Alex because of that.

Here's a relevant bit from an interesting interview with Sam on EW (link here):

When you heard they were doing a twist, did you think it might be a second chance for you?

I was kind of mad, actually. They didn’t really tell us, but when they told us that keeping someone for another week was an option, we kind of all huddled together and decided we shouldn’t really.

So you voted for everyone to stay and have another week?
No, I did vote for everyone to stay, but after I’d circled the “yes,” we decided we shouldn’t have it changed, because two people would be going home next week and that seemed worse. We wanted to stick to the one person originally each week.

Which I believe, because Sam couldn't have look less surprised to be the one going home, and he looked more relieved than upset, frankly.

Thanks for posting that link Ari333- interesting take by the writer (part of which was WRONG - I guess the writer was not a fan of Caleb but was wrong about his intentions - nothing like reading the tea leaves lol. 

The twist was just dumb, plain and simple. I think it makes for bad blood IMHO because people were second guessing who voted which way (sometimes right, sometimes wrong, depends on their motivation)  Kinda like years ago when they made two groups of the contestants, one that was the bottom and one that was the top - and asked one of the contestants to pick the group they wanted to be in - (I'm having a brain fart tonight, can't remember who it was but it was a long while ago, maybe Taylor Hicks?) and the person sat in between the groups. 

They have pulled that move on a number of contestants, but I don't remember who was the first to try the middle. I remember someone more recent than Bice or Hicks who tried to sit in the middle and Peachy forced them to choose anyway, but I don't remember who.

I think the twist was just one more example of how out of touch the producers are with the ever dwindling fan base of the show.

Well thank God they stopped doing THAT. At least the voting thing was anonymous. If the media went around asking the contestants how they voted, they should have just declined to answer. Alex was the only one who did not reveal the way he voted and that's what all the contestants should have done. It was anonymous for a reason. Anonymous voting for the contestants to stay together or for one to leave is cruel but it's not nearly as cruel as making a contestant choose which group they belong in or choose which group they think is the bottom 3.

Well, well, well, Mrs Moltisanti takes a break from the internet on the weekend and then logs in on Monday to see that Caleb has really given Jessica a new boost in life.  It is hard to say if he lost fans, however others may have gained fans from people tuning in to view and then voting for anyone but.  I did see some people who advocate for the non use of that R word sending out messages to stop him or something like that.  I wonder if groups of people will tune in and mass vote against him.  I have no idea anymore what will happen.  I cannot see how the judges et al on the show can just ignore this.  Would they really want to have him represent them as a winner?  I truly hope he goes home and does not get to have the parade in his home town with all the love and honours bestowed upon him.  This may be a great life lesson for him now.  Humble pie needs to be served to this lad.  

• Love 2

This is my first post here, and I rarely ever posted at TWOP, so y'all be gentle with me, okay?  :)

I've been reading about this Caleb controversy and just came across this blog post which I think hits the nail on the head:

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2014/05/05/american-idol-briefs-past-idol-winners-possessed-humbleness-not-arrogance-my-power-4/

My own take on it is that I never cared for Caleb anyway. I don't like his type of music, and I don't think he's done anything original with any of his performances to date, so I'd be glad to see him go home ASAP.  

I'm not a fan of Jessica, either, though. She's so awkward looking to me. She looked a little better last week, but usually the way she's dressed and the way she stands at the mic is just so strange...plus I just really don't care for her voice.

I'd like Jena if she could enunciate, but I hate the slurred words, especially when I'm not familiar with the song.

Alex is my guy. I like Jason Mraz, and I just really love Alex's creative take on things. He makes every song his own, and I'd buy his album. I've purchased several of his songs on iTunes - except the Willie Nelson one - why is it not available??  

Anyway, I'm pulling for Alex...and I'm ready for Caleb to go home now so he gets no "Cocaine or Prostitutes" and is never bothered by his stupid fans again. :)

• Love 3
(edited)

This is my first post here, and I rarely ever posted at TWOP, so y'all be gentle with me, okay?  :)

I've been reading about this Caleb controversy and just came across this blog post which I think hits the nail on the head:

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2014/05/05/american-idol-briefs-past-idol-winners-possessed-humbleness-not-arrogance-my-power-4/

My own take on it is that I never cared for Caleb anyway. I don't like his type of music, and I don't think he's done anything original with any of his performances to date, so I'd be glad to see him go home ASAP.  

I'm not a fan of Jessica, either, though. She's so awkward looking to me. She looked a little better last week, but usually the way she's dressed and the way she stands at the mic is just so strange...plus I just really don't care for her voice.

I'd like Jena if she could enunciate, but I hate the slurred words, especially when I'm not familiar with the song.

Alex is my guy. I like Jason Mraz, and I just really love Alex's creative take on things. He makes every song his own, and I'd buy his album. I've purchased several of his songs on iTunes - except the Willie Nelson one - why is it not available??  

Anyway, I'm pulling for Alex...and I'm ready for Caleb to go home now so he gets no "Cocaine or Prostitutes" and is never bothered by his stupid fans again. :)

Thanks for the link! Welcome to the dark side. We have candy! :)

Wow, you guys have to open the link because I don't think I can put an image here; but wowza, that effing photo speaks volumes. JENA#%7Q! has her arms in front of the other three and she's doing that god awful stupid Katharine McPhee thing, "open your mouth like you're biting an apple so you look fun! and excited! and engaged! in photos." GACK and BLARG. Pass the Pepto. I had to come and bitch about the photo before I even read the article. I get all ahead of myself like that. :)

Edited by ari333
So Randy Jackson was just on The View and said he thinks it will be down to a Caleb/Jena finish.  YUCK!!  Hope not!

Randy has always been a mouthpiece for the producers. This is nothing new for him. He's done it every season. 

• Love 1

Randy has always been a mouthpiece for the producers. This is nothing new for him. He's done it every season. 

Yeah, Randy is the 'Ho more than the Pimp.  

• Love 2

Wasn't it Bo Bice who initiated the sit in the middle? I could be wrong.

No, you're right.  George Huff chose a group and chose wrong.  The style of elimination became known as "The Huff", not the sitting.  Here's a blog on it:

http://sepinwall.blogspot.com/2008/04/american-idol-top-7-elimination.html

They've been doing the "two groups of three, and a sucker forced to choose" gag every top 7 night since season three, and it's played out. The first time, it worked brilliantly, because poor George Huff actually made a choice, and chose the wrong group. (That was the night when the three divas were in the bottom three and Jennifer Hudson went home.) The next year, Bo Bice showed the only proper way to deal with being the sucker: stay at center stage and refuse to play the game. Melinda and now Young David followed that example I can't remember what Taylor did in season five, but anyone who's on the show has been watching the show, and they know this is coming. New trick, please.

• Love 1

Thanks all of you that remember "The Huff" - I remembered it was quite a while back - and it was crappy then and every time they pulled it since. The contestants really seem to be pulling for each other on the show. 

That radio talk interview was interesting. I don't necessarily agree with his assessment of several of the contestants (the "gee whiz" attitude? Really? and I don't think we really got to know Phillip Phillips all so well because of his illness - it's really interesting to see interviews with him now since he's got his kidney issues under control) 

FWIW Caleb has a big mouth and a skewered sense of humor. (ironically I found the cocaine and hookers comment hilarious but I'm strange like that). It would suck if he derailed himself because of it. 

(edited)

I can't remember what Taylor did in season five, but anyone who's on the show has been watching the show, and they know this is coming.

Taylor went toward the group that had Chris Daughtry in it, shook Chris's hand, and then placed himself with the other group, which proved to be the right group.  I don't know if this is true, but someone who claimed to have been at the taping said that the producers told Taylor to do that during the previous commercial break.

The weirdest Huff was season eight, when they did it to Adam Lambert when there were only five contestants remaining.  In the past, it's always been done when there are seven contestants, which are divided into two groups of three and the remaining contestant has to choose which group to stand with.  Why would they do it with only five contestants, which would mean that the majority of the contestants are labeled "in danger"?  My conspiracy theory is that Adam actually finished in the middle, but the producers thought it would be dramatic to make it look as if he was in danger of going home.  So they had a bottom three instead of the traditional bottom two.  That put Adam in the bottom three, and then Kris was sent back to safety, making it seem as if there was a good chance that Adam would be voted out.

This year there was no Huff, and they started showing only the bottom two when there were still eight contestants left.  Yes, I have a conspiracy theory about that too.  I think that Jena was in the bottom three at that point but the producers didn't want anyone to know that she was not as popular as the judges' comments would lead us to believe.  Being in the bottom three when there are only five contestants remaining is not necessarily a sign of viewer indifference toward a contestant, but being in the bottom three when there are eight contestants left very well could be. 

ETA:  Thinking back, I believe that the Huff was done with five contestants in Taylor's year too.  But my conspiracy theory about Adam still stands, because in Taylor's case, the producers didn't try to make it look as if he was in danger because they had him stand with the two who were safe, thus forming a top three and a bottom two.  In Adam's case, they put him with the two who were not safe, thus forming a top two and a bottom three.

Edited by Sparkling Beth
  • Love 1