Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Rabbittron said:

From me it's these two stinkers because he cheated on Amy with her.

I've never heard Amy or anyone else in their family say that Matt cheated on Amy with Caryn or anyone else, on the show or elsewhere. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5

That’s because Amy has too much pride (and class) to mention it for the public, but she has certainly hinted at it in a couple of her THs.  Also, there is a Reddit sub-group that some of us are on where a family insider came on and was answering questions for a time, until they stopped for some reason and the thread was removed.  She said that it was common knowledge for YEARS, to most everyone that knows them, that Matt and Caryn were having an affair.

• Love 4
10 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I've never heard Amy or anyone else in their family say that Matt cheated on Amy with Caryn or anyone else, on the show or elsewhere. 

Amy's silence on the matter is not evidence Matt didn't cheat. In my opinion it simply means she doesn't want to publicly accuse her children's father of adultery.  I think speaks well of her.

I think it is highly unlikely that after working side by side for years, the relationship between Matt and Caryn only began to blossom after his divorce was finalized.  They give off the vibe of a couple who have been intimate for quite some time, and I don't think it comes from spending hours talking about pumpkins behind his locked office door. I suspect they were hooking up for years. It would also explain Matt's refusal to work on his marriage despite Amy's pleas and their supposed rejection of the idea of divorce.  Matt had something going on the side with someone else whom he preferred over his wife, so he felt safe ending his marriage. I doubt he would have divorced Amy if it meant going it alone. He needs too much coddling and attention to be happy as a single man.

I think if it wasn't for Caryn, Matt and Amy might still be married. 

• Love 15

For me, based on what I have seen on the show,  the biggest improvement for the family members state of mind and mental health was the couple separating.  Regardless, of fault, their relationship was toxic.  Too much drama, disagreements, outbursts and misery.  There doesn't seem to be much of that since they divorced.  That's why, I suspect that the adult kids and their spouses really do realize divorce was the best thing. And, Amy seems to miss those times....lol.  I just think she enjoyed the drama.  Some people are like that. From what we have heard from Chris, he won't tolerate it.  So, I suppose Amy will have to adapt.  And, since she and Chris are so much more compatible and in love, it shouldn't be necessary to have all that verbal banter.  Time will tell. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 5
9 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Regardless, of fault, their relationship was toxic.

Sure. Matt's off the hook.  He had an affair but they are BOTH to blame. If AMY had just pleased her man, he wouldn't have needed to fuck someone else. I mean, she's the wife, right? And her role is to say "yes sir, Matt sir!" to her man and if she doesn't, she's a bitch harridan and Matt fucking someone else on the side for years is *both of their faults*. 

• Love 15
43 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

That's why, I suspect that the adult kids and their spouses really do realize divorce was the best thing.

There has been no indication what Molly or Jacob think at all.  Zach just sort of shrugs and keeps his mouth shut about it from what I've seen. Did I miss him voicing his support? My attention does tend to wander while this show is on, I admit. 

Jeremy and Audrey have been openly shitty about the divorce and clearly blame Amy for it happening even though she wanted to stay married and it was actually Matt who filed. They have actually devoted their idiotic ... what do you call it? It's not a foundation or a charity.  A blog?  Whatever it is, their "Beating Fifty Percent" nonsense is a direct (and smug) commentary on their view of divorce -  it's a shameful, weak act committed by people less godly and wise than they are.  I don't see any room in there for thinking Matt and Amy's divorce was the best thing at all.

59 minutes ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Too much drama, disagreements, outbursts and misery.  There doesn't seem to be much of that since they divorced. 

... And, Amy seems to miss those times....lol.  I just think she enjoyed the drama.  Some people are like that. From what we have heard from Chris, he won't tolerate it.  So, I suppose Amy will have to adapt.  

I don't see any evidence Amy misses fighting with Matt. She seems to relish having her own space and spending time with Chris and her friends. She actually seems to avoid contact with Matt as much as possible. Matt is the one fishing for invitations to her home while she has been known to turn down invites from him.  He is constantly referencing her in negative ways in his talking heads.  He seems to still blame Amy for everything that goes wrong and constantly finds fault with her. Most of their conflict is initiated by him.  If anybody needs to adapt, it's Matt.

• Love 18
40 minutes ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

There has been no indication what Molly or Jacob think at all.  Zach just sort of shrugs and keeps his mouth shut about it from what I've seen. Did I miss him voicing his support? My attention does tend to wander while this show is on, I admit. 

Jeremy and Audrey have been openly shitty about the divorce and clearly blame Amy for it happening even though she wanted to stay married and it was actually Matt who filed. They have actually devoted their idiotic ... what do you call it? It's not a foundation or a charity.  A blog?  Whatever it is, their "Beating Fifty Percent" nonsense is a direct (and smug) commentary on their view of divorce -  it's a shameful, weak act committed by people less godly and wise than they are.  I don't see any room in there for thinking Matt and Amy's divorce was the best thing at all.

I don't see any evidence Amy misses fighting with Matt. She seems to relish having her own space and spending time with Chris and her friends. She actually seems to avoid contact with Matt as much as possible. Matt is the one fishing for invitations to her home while she has been known to turn down invites from him.  He is constantly referencing her in negative ways in his talking heads.  He seems to still blame Amy for everything that goes wrong and constantly finds fault with her. Most of their conflict is initiated by him.  If anybody needs to adapt, it's Matt.

I think Amy mourns the life she thought she'd have with the father of her children and the grandfather of her grandchildren. I don't think it's unusual to stick it out through the hard times of raising children and building a life with the expectation that things will get easier and more relaxed so that some of that marital tension will go by the wayside and you'll be able to enjoy that life together.

Edited by readheaded
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, readheaded said:

I think Amy mourns the life she thought she'd have with the father of her children and the grandfather of her grandchildren. I don't think it's unusual to stick it out through the hard times of raising children and building a life with the expectation that things will get easier and more relaxed so that some of that marital tension will go by the wayside and you'll be able to enjoy that life together.

I think that makes a lot of sense.  I’m sure that Amy was prepared to work through hard times and get the kids raised.  She probably thought that at some point she and Matt would get to the point where they could focus on their relationship and enjoying their retirement and family together.   That was probably the goal for many years, if she is like most of us ladies of a certain age who have been married for many years.  However, once Caryn entered the picture, I’m sure she started to see that slipping away.  I can’t pretend to know what Amy feels, or Matter either for that matter.  But if I were to put myself in her place, I imagine I would be feeling a combination of emotions.  My biggest one is betrayal.  The loss of trust and fidelity in a marriage are like a knife to the heart.  Loss and sadness would come next, then anger and resentment, which I think we have seen from Amy a bit on the show, but some have attributed that to her just being a whining bitch for no reason.  But whether she says so or not, I think she has plenty of reason to hate what Matt and Caryn’s affair has done to her life.  I know that Amy is no saint, just like any of us.  But if I could say one thing to her, it would be to keep holding your head high and taking the high road.  Keep finding your happiness in your new relationships and business endeavors, and do your best to still have that idyllic retirement some day where you just enjoy being surrounded by your family and those that really love you.  That’s the best revenge for dreams that have been altered because of circumstances beyond your control.

• Love 15

We each see things in our own way as fans, but, while Amy has some admirable traits, it seems to me that she resents that Matt and Caryn seem to have a good, solid, happy relationship. (At least she has in seasons past. Maybe, she's moved past it by now and the next season will bring a turn around.)  Matt and Caryn's relationship may not be perfect, but, is doesn't appear to be full of sarcasm and vitriol. Amy's  opinion of Matt  was so low and then, he's seen as a very positive person by Caryn.  I think it bites her, but, I've never heard anyone claim there was an affair. I wonder, but, it's not my place to judge. Amy had to give her consent for Caryn to be on the show and apparently, she was okay with it.  I think Amy is closer to the truth when she says that she and Matt were just two different people and Amy seems to get a charge from being verbally abusive towards Matt, imo.   Plus, Amy and Matt were totally in toxic territory long before Caryn came to the farm. It was bitter way back in the early days of the show even.

So, I hope they all remain happy and that Amy can learn to not need drama in her romantic life. Since, Chris treats her well and is what she really wants, things should work out fine in that dept. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 3

Amy was verbally abusive to Matt but when Matt was noting that she thought small while he thought big was Matt bestowing a compliment? Matt constantly complaining on camera isn't verbal abuse? Matt smirking thru his insults isn't Matt getting a charge from his abuse?

I think they both did their fair share of "getting a charge out of verbal abuse" so I don't accept the premise that Amy was verbally abusive while yet again, poor pitiful Matt was her innocent victim who bore her abuse. They were both verbally abusive and Matt got his jollies encouraging people to pity him while he painted that picture that he was the victim of his slattern vicious tongued mouth and never did anything but crawl before her, trying desperately to please her.

• Love 16

No, he's just whipping people up with how he "thought about" leaving the show. Did he? For two seconds maybe. 

I mean, all I know is that Matt owns his own nice home in AZ now, and has consistently bragged about being wealthy. If we spend yet another season of Matt moaning how he lives in sheer physical agony because he *can't * walk away from the farm until Amy's future plans are literally carved in stone, perhaps in a new stone temple on th ed farm for tourists, I trust people will start acknowledging that poor wide victim Matt is actively choosing to place himself in the path of the vicious abusive monster that is his ex wife. 

It gets said to women all the time, why are you choosing to stay with an abuser? Matt has no reason to stay, and plenty of escape options so I'm not giving one piece of sympathy for a man who finds pissing off his ex worth living in physical agony

• Love 11
9 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

We each see things in our own way as fans, but, while Amy has some admirable traits, it seems to me that she resents that Matt and Caryn seem to have a good, solid, happy relationship. (At least she has in seasons past. Maybe, she's moved past it by now and the next season will bring a turn around.)  Matt and Caryn's relationship may not be perfect, but, is doesn't appear to be full of sarcasm and vitriol. Amy's  opinion of Matt  was so low and then, he's seen as a very positive person by Caryn.  I think it bites her, but, I've never heard anyone claim there was an affair. I wonder, but, it's not my place to judge. Amy had to give her consent for Caryn to be on the show and apparently, she was okay with it.  I think Amy is closer to the truth when she says that she and Matt were just two different people and Amy seems to get a charge from being verbally abusive towards Matt, imo.   Plus, Amy and Matt were totally in toxic territory long before Caryn came to the farm. It was bitter way back in the early days of the show even.

So, I hope they all remain happy and that Amy can learn to not need drama in her romantic life. Since, Chris treats her well and is what she really wants, things should work out fine in that dept. 

There was an insider on Reddit who said that Matt and Caryn had an affair for years. I don't know if it's true or not, but the person seemed credible. The thread from the alleged insider has been taken down by the poster.

Of course Caryn had a smoother relationship with Matt than Amy did. She didn't have to try to raise children with him. She also didn't have to share money with him. When faced with buying a house with Matt, Caryn said no. Her money is free from his big ideas.

Why would they argue? It's all fun city for them. No money involvement, no kid responsibilities, just happy, woopy, times.

This is why you can't compare a mistress to a wife. The wife has all the day to day trials, while the mistress is all happy time.

Let's see if Matt and Caryn get married and their money and families get mixed, if we see problems. I think that we will.

Edited by Libby
  • Love 16
On 9/4/2018 at 1:07 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

Amy "seems" to miss those times of drama and the adult kids are "suspected" to agree the divorce is for the best. Quite a lot of conjecture if you ask me. Don't you know it's all Amy's fault? 

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Libby said:

Of course Caryn had a smoother relationship with Matt than Amy did. She didn't have to try to raise children with him. She also didn't have to share money with him. When faced with buying a house with Matt, Caryn said no. Her money is free from his big ideas.

Why would they argue? It's all fun city for them. No money involvement, no kid responsibilities, just happy, woopy, times.

This is why you can't compare a mistress to a wife. The wife has all the day to day trials, while the mistress is all happy time.

Let's see if Matt and Caryn get married and their money and families get mixed, if we see problems. I think that we will.

So true, and I couldn’t have said it better myself.  Of course the mistress gets the sunshine and roses.  She wouldn’t be such a willing “yes-girl” any other way.  Wonder if Caryn would have fallen for Matt in the beginning of the show, when he had young kids, no money and no fame.  Those are the times that Amy tried to love him through.  Believe she worked two or three jobs besides being mom and home maker.  The comparisons between relationships that Matt has with both women are apples and oranges.  Different times, different circumstances.  

• Love 18

I wonder if Caryn  would be smiling and saying "Matt is so wonderful" if she got a full dose of how Matt treats Amy.

I wonder if Caryn would be smiling and standing by her man if he was inches away from losing the farm - read Matt's first book on how his amazing ideas almost lost them the house. I wonder if Caryn would be smiling as *she* had to wipe every shitty ass on four kids and clean the house and feed the entire family as her man Matt lorded over how much he liked watching her toil whle he doesn't work. (This is an actual scene in the first episode of the show, but hmmm *Amy* was the *abuser*)

Poor Matt, spousal abuse victim, why, it's like Amy *forced him* to walk away from the marriage. I'm surprised Lifetime hasn't approached him to play himself in "The Matt Roloff Story - One Man's Brave Fight Against A Horrid Bad Tempered Abuser"

• Love 17

I think I dislike her "Amy and I are friends" routine because bitch please, you don't date your friend's ex husband who she was married to for 25 years and who you worked for within months of the divorce being final.

That's me not assuming she cheated with Matt, you know, her *friend Amy's husband*. 

Assuming no affair, your *friend's ex* is usually off limits. Worse, Caryn tacitly agrees to be Matt's mean girl bitch to Amy and to participate in show scenes designed to put down Matt's ex. Way to be a *friend*, Caryn. 

• Love 11
6 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

There is something shifty in Caryn's eyes that makes me not trust her. She just looks sneaky. 

Yeah, sneaky . . . And smug . . . It’s the face of the most popular girl in your high school year book, right?  Like you expect her at any moment to open her mouth and spit out a canary.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, HighlandWarriorGrl said:

Yeah, sneaky . . . And smug . . . It’s the face of the most popular girl in your high school year book, right?  Like you expect her at any moment to open her mouth and spit out a canary.

Oh, Caryn is the other woman. Frankly, I think nothing but Matt actually confessing that he was banging Caryn while married to Amy will convince some people (and then some people will note that Amy was the vicious abusive monster who drove poor innocent Matt to fuck another woman on the sly, it's all Amy's fault, vicious tempered bitch!)

But lets say it was all innocent until the divorce papers signed. Caryn begins dating Matt, who is her boss, and she and Matt work with Amy, Matt's ex wife, and Matt lives at his workplace which is like 100 yards from Amy's house, and participates in Matt's complaint fests on camera, and participates in needling Amy by appearing at family functions that Amy hosts, all while professing she doesn't understand, that she's Amy's friend.

And Amy, who did seem genuinely devastated by her divorce is supposed to:

1. Be friends with her ex-husband's current girlfriend.

2. Invite her ex's girlfriend to family events with graciousness and a smile and a hug

3. Smile and say nothing as she sees footage of her ex and his new fuck - who happens to also be his long term employee who he often spent a lot of time alone with complain about how *she* is getting in the way of *their* plans.

4. Smile and love Caryn who is so friendly with her children, including the one (Jeremy) who openly shames her for divorcing dear old Daddy Matt with his cock up Caryn's slash?

Amy is supposed to what, love Caryn? Share secrets with her and welcome her into her life with a hug and a kiss and if she doesn't, she's displaying her vicious foul temper and is pining for Matt? I don't know many divorced women who would appreciate being told not only do they have to continue to act as their ex's spouse when they are ill/needing help or else be labeled a selfish uncaring bitch by the public but they also have to smile and be best pals with the ex's new fuck AND they have to constantly note how they were the problem in the marriage and their ex was a saintly prince who deserved better... or else be labeled a bitch by the public. 

Personally I think Amy has been very respectful about not forcing Matt to deal with Chris. Legally, she has every right to have Chris move in with her, and no, I don't think Matt would like knowing his ex has a new man in *his* house. 

• Love 21
On 9/4/2018 at 11:36 AM, readheaded said:

this!   100%!!!

• Love 4
On 9/7/2018 at 2:41 PM, ginger90 said:

47297980-CC72-4933-A2CF-2D5E8044FFF2.jpeg

Caryn is so stunning!  She looks as young as her daughter, imo. And, just as pretty, too. Great news about her kids doing so well.  They have much to be grateful for....her and Matt.  Amy and Chris, too.  

• Love 1
On 9/14/2018 at 8:57 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Caryn is so stunning!  She looks as young as her daughter, imo. And, just as pretty, too.

Caryn goes heavy on the filters, so I'm not surprised she looks better in the pictures she posts than she does on TV. 

I wonder why Amy never bothers with that kind of thing in her posts. I guess maybe she is okay with how she looks.

• Love 7
8 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I wonder why Amy never bothers with that kind of thing in her posts. I guess maybe she is okay with how she looks.

Agree

I applaud her.

In the age of vain conceit and people using every technical tool to fine tune one's face....

Amy clearly shows us what you see is what you get.

She is comfortable in her own skin.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:55 AM, artisto said:

Agree

I applaud her.

In the age of vain conceit and people using every technical tool to fine tune one's face....

Amy clearly shows us what you see is what you get.

She is comfortable in her own skin.

My guess would be that when you're born so physically different from most of the world, you can either be very hung up or very accepting of yourself.  I'm happy that Amy seems to be in the latter category.

On 9/14/2018 at 11:57 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Caryn is so stunning!  She looks as young as her daughter, imo. And, just as pretty, too. Great news about her kids doing so well.  They have much to be grateful for....her and Matt.  Amy and Chris, too.  

Caryn is fortunate that her face doesn't seem to carry the same weight as the rest of her body.

• Love 11

In spite of what we've seen on the show, I think that Zach will stand by Amy and support her wishes. I think that Molly and Jake will too.

On the other hand, I don't think that Jeremy will. I believe that if it's the last thing that Audrey does, she will alienate Jeremy from his mother. That young woman is a troublemaker. And let's face it, Jeremy is a very weak man...

• Love 12
21 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

Those are really nice pictures. They look genuinely happy.

Chris' steak looks really good but why is it slanted half on top of the potatoes and the carrots are lined up that way? Is that some chook's idea of artful presentation? It's silly.  

I looks like he moved things to start to eat and then realized they needed to take a photo. 

12 hours ago, Celia Rubenstein said:

I've never seen anyone put all their food in a pile so they can have open space on their plate to eat. You leave it where it is, cut it into pieces, and pick up pieces on your fork. At least I do.  Maybe I'm some kind of peasant, lol.

Ha no I’m sure you’re fine. But some people like to put condiments and things on the side, or eat the different foods in certain ratios. I’ve seen people move things to the side for those reasons. 

• Love 1

Caryn is starting to bring her kids around. Fasten your seat belts, now the crap is going to start. Matt can be a gracious host at first. However, he really doesn't want to be bothered with his own kids, let alone hers. This is going to be fun to watch. Time for Caryn to really understand the true Matt. I hope that Amy enjoys watching the unraveling of the great love story along with us.

• Love 3
On 9/29/2018 at 5:05 AM, ginger90 said:

Oh look, Caryn and her kids are posing with the pumpkins Matt had trucked in from Mexico grew on the farm. How sweet. I wonder if Matt is calling Caryn's son "Farmer" yet.   

Although to be honest, if Matt wanted to bestow reality-based nicknames on his male heirs, he should probably be calling them "produce orderer" or "constructor of half-baked dangerous eyesores." Farmer is kind of a misnomer.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, Libby said:

Caryn is starting to bring her kids around. Fasten your seat belts, now the crap is going to start. Matt can be a gracious host at first. However, he really doesn't want to be bothered with his own kids, let alone hers. This is going to be fun to watch. Time for Caryn to really understand the true Matt. I hope that Amy enjoys watching the unraveling of the great love story along with us.

Now they're old enough to be on the farm without their father's permission, which they didn't have when they were minors.  It'd be interesting to hear from Caryn's ex...

• Love 2

I know it's a small thing, but I just hate the word "stoked."  I always have.  It's just such overused hipster asshole expression in my mind. And Jerk and Odd say it all the damn time. 

It sounds especially dumb when used in reference to a kid named "Ember."  

• Love 5
On 10/7/2018 at 1:23 PM, Celia Rubenstein said:

I know it's a small thing, but I just hate the word "stoked."  I always have.  It's just such overused hipster asshole expression in my mind. And Jerk and Odd say it all the damn time. 

It sounds especially dumb when used in reference to a kid named "Ember."  

Yeah that's a pet peeve word of mine as well. It's even worse when older adults say it.

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 1