Type keyword(s) to search

All Episodes Talk: Small World, Big Lives

Message added by Mod-LunarJester,

Culture Check: How can the tropes and stereotypes we apply to TV personalities impact our fellow posters, and how do we remain mindful of these effects while discussing them? Please review for more on stereotypes and tropes.

Culture Check: How can we express our opinions and consider the effect our assumptions may have on the people around us? What impact might speculation have on others, especially when we speculate about children or complex issues like neurodiversity?

• Start Topic

32 minutes ago, Awfarmington said:

She can afford to buy baby stuff. Not that she really needs it, parents generally provide grandparents with essentials.  

How about a 'Grandma Celebration' party that she would host and its like a fun brunch or something. 

Amy isn't the first to throw themselves a shower/housewarming/whatever gift grabbing occasion there is. Others have done the same...TACKY! 

My sister in law had 3 baby showers for 1 baby. One thrown by MIL, one thrown by her mom and one by her friends. All showers were big, not intimate little affairs. I got an invite to each shower, as well as the aunts and other close family members. Not that she threw them for herself but just an example of how out of hand things can get. 

I'm such an old grump these days and don't attend any of these grifting occasions anymore...plus it gives the women there more opportunity to talk about me ☺️. 

Amy is kind of tacky. And definitely suggesting one's friends throw a party for one's self is beyond tacky.  If I were invited to that greedy grandma gift grab, I would have rolled my eyes so hard.  Isn't Amy rolling in pumpkin money as well as TLC cash?  Buy your own damn baby gear!  Sure, I would buy a baby gift once it's born, but why am I beholden to fund your part time nursery?  You know what most grandmas do? They buy their own damn supplies!  My mom and MIL each went out to get a high chair for their houses, some blankets & a few outfits.  I brought my baby's 'pack 'n play' to them if they were babysitting for several hours or overnight.  I also brought a fully stocked diaper bag...diapers, lotions, bath stuff, clothes, bottles and toys. 

Did I understand that Amy wanted Zack's baby to wear his 26 year old, stained onesie??  It could have been a sweet gesture had the little garment been CLEAN for chrissakes!  Zack called out the "crusty" stuff on the thing.  Eeewwww! Who packs and stores dirty baby clothes?  Oh yeah, the woman who lets cats walk all over her kitchen counters, that's who.

I got the impression Odd was trying to hide her face in this episode.  She did her typical "look adoringly at Jerk" in her TH's, but she also hid most of her face under a hat.  And while sitting on Jerk's lap (blurg), she turned and twisted away from the camera.  Maybe she is self conscious about her looks as the pregnancy advances?  I didn't think she looked any different...same dead eyes and lack of affect as usual.

And Matt is showing his true colors in this episode ( I believe those colors are misogynistic magenta and ashes of asshole, by Benjamin Moore's new 'Dickhead' designer collection). From making Amy sit in on fake farm business meetings with Caryn present to his precious sandbox plans to his clown town portrayal of Tori in labor...what a fucking tool he is. And really, Caryn? A pumpkin shaped sandbox? So the pumpkin pickin' tourists just might be able to get a glimpse of it? She has been drinking Matt's BS Kool Aid too long.

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, gonecrackers said:

I thought the grandma shower idea was ridiculous but knowing it was actually HER idea blows me away in how ballsy that is; did she register somewhere as well?  I wonder if it was for the show, or if her friends are doing that kind of thing as well.

To me, it's weird, & yes, tacky.

I wondered the same thing when they filmed Amy and her blonde friend at the store looking at baby things.

When my MIL watched our kids, we bought an extra pack n play to keep in the spare room.  Also gave her a basket of toys to keep in the family room. But other than that we packed what the baby needed in a diaper bag and it wasn't a big deal. Certainly no need for a shower. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Amy is kind of tacky. And definitely suggesting one's friends throw a party for one's self is beyond tacky.  If I were invited to that greedy grandma gift grab, I would have rolled my eyes so hard.  Isn't Amy rolling in pumpkin money as well as TLC cash?  Buy your own damn baby gear!  Sure, I would buy a baby gift once it's born, but why am I beholden to fund your part time nursery?  You know what most grandmas do? They buy their own damn supplies!  My mom and MIL each went out to get a high chair for their houses, some blankets & a few outfits.  I brought my baby's 'pack 'n play' to them if they were babysitting for several hours or overnight.  I also brought a fully stocked diaper bag...diapers, lotions, bath stuff, clothes, bottles and toys. 

Did I understand that Amy wanted Zack's baby to wear his 26 year old, stained onesie??  It could have been a sweet gesture had the little garment been CLEAN for chrissakes!  Zack called out the "crusty" stuff on the thing.  Eeewwww! Who packs and stores dirty baby clothes?  Oh yeah, the woman who lets cats walk all over her kitchen counters, that's who.

I got the impression Odd was trying to hide her face in this episode.  She did her typical "look adoringly at Jerk" in her TH's, but she also hid most of her face under a hat.  And while sitting on Jerk's lap (blurg), she turned and twisted away from the camera.  Maybe she is self conscious about her looks as the pregnancy advances?  I didn't think she looked any different...same dead eyes and lack of affect as usual.

And Matt is showing his true colors in this episode ( I believe those colors are misogynistic magenta and ashes of asshole, by Benjamin Moore's new 'Dickhead' designer collection). From making Amy sit in on fake farm business meetings with Caryn present to his precious sandbox plans to his clown town portrayal of Tori in labor...what a fucking tool he is. And really, Caryn? A pumpkin shaped sandbox? So the pumpkin pickin' tourists just might be able to get a glimpse of it? She has been drinking Matt's BS Kool Aid too long.

I wonder if Matt and Amy have discussed with Zach and Tori the amount of time Jackson will actually be spending at the farm. They both seem so excited to deck the house out for a new baby, but with Amy, Matt and Tori's mom will all be wanting to baby sit, each person may not have as much time as they want. Not to mention Tori is taking off of work for a year and the baby will be her main focus. 

• Love 3

While I agree with everyone above that a grandma shower is tacky (and thankfully do not know any grandmother who has been given one) I really think it was likely more producer driven than Amy driven, to add another baby themed segment to the episode. That said, I loved it when Zach said that he hoped that Amy realized that the baby would be going home with them - lol. 

Odd really has been married to Jer for too long. In her TH when she said the house inspection would point out if there were any "blaring" problems, instead of "glaring" problems, I thought "That is something your husband would say". I can't wait though for the lectures from Matt on how hard it will be for them when the baby comes, and how stressful the ride to the hospital will be. And most of all I am waiting with bated breath for Matt to ask Jer when he is going to get a job to help pay for the house with the mortgage that is more than they can afford. I may pass out waiting, of course. 

I usually FF past the intro but didn't tonight so was so happy to see the scene of Sully at the end, happily running after the ATV. (I assume that shot has always been in the opening credits?). I miss that furbaby. : (( 

• Love 3

Heheh I kinda wonder if Zach and Tori are quite tolerant because Jer and Auj will soon be "TAKE THE BABY" to the inlaws.

As for the "blaring" comment - honestly, on reading Auj's various missives, I don't think she gets it from Jer.

• Love 1

I'm so glad Odd is telling us all about being pregnant nad moving. It's never ever happened before.

Actually, what drove me crazy the most was the uneven distribution of her hair. There's so much on the left side and so little on the right. It's just weird.

• Love 4

Amy and her recent money comments are very annoying. We aren't supposed to know that she has any, I guess. Poor divorced destitute Amy. Give me a break. A grandma shower?  Before the crib was deemed unsafe, long ago in the dark ages, my mother used our crib for our children, high chair too. I understand wanting supplies handy, but most parents bring them everywhere they go. And is she thinking she will have the baby (ies) at her house that often to babysit? I know for me, when it was needed, my mother, father or sister normally did that at my house, until they were older and doing actual sleepovers.  Everyone is different, of course but Amy just seems to make assumptions.

Haven't watched yet, so perhaps my view will be different once I do.

• Love 2

Can J&A be more boring?? Trying to drum up some drama about the house inspection. "The house could have a crack foundation, bad pipes, water in the basement, etc, etc, etc....Zzzzzzzzz....the list went on with that monotone voice. ughhhhhh

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, dugie said:

Can J&A be more boring?? Trying to drum up some drama about the house inspection. "The house could have a crack foundation, bad pipes, water in the basement, etc, etc, etc....Zzzzzzzzz....the list went on with that monotone voice. ughhhhhh

And thanks to Audrey tweeting, it was known before it aired that this was the house they bought.

Oh the suspense!

• Love 2
(edited)

And is she thinking she will have the baby (ies) at her house that often to babysit?

Now that Jer and Auj are within easy driving distance, do you really think they won't be using Amy for their many many required date nights?

I mean, I will grant that this episode was a total snooze - look, Tory is still pregnant, look at Auj and Jer look at a house and seem utterly bored. Hell, even Matt barely appeared.

Except to, you know, mock women like a sexist ass and pour a bottle of water on himself to add to the hysterics he thinks women collapse into when they're in labor. Hahaha Matt thinks pregnant women are ridulous, hysterical, and crazy! What a nice message that was, boys, don't forget, once you knock up your wife, they go BATSHIT once the labor starts and are incapable of being rational!

Edited by ZoloftBlob
  • Love 8

I loved the Grandma shower. It was a great idea to have fun and to get some items she'll need when the babies come along.  I especially loved Pin the Panties on the Granny.  I'm gong to steal that idea.  lol  I didn't see the need to give Amy the nightie.  That was odd.  Just contrived for the show I suppose.  

I thought the enactment of getting to the hospital with Matt was funny too.  It was all in fun.  Plus, you can't be too prepared.  

I think Tori is just very tired and uncomfortable.  Hard to believe that she never considered having to have a C-section before getting pregnant.  It's always a possibility.  

Looking at Amy.....I swear, I don't know how she carried 4 kids.  

• Love 3

Sorry Sunny, Matt perpetrating how silly and useless and hysterical women are is not funny. It's Matt being an ass, and swinging his precious dick so he can let us all know how women are weak and stupid. I doubt Matt would grin and be pleased if say, a cloying, dated depiction of circus midgets was used to depict how dwarfs get by in life... in fact when it's Matt's life reduced to a riducolous humiliating stereotype, he's right there bitching how wrong it is and how its NOT funny. If you find a grown man snickering over how pregnant women completely lose their minds and need to be tended by a man because they're just so damn useless once they're prego, then feel free to praise Matt's lovely little public snot to the public on how pregnant = useless and hysterical. HAHAH women are useless and stupid when they're knocked up and need a man to tend them. What a charming message for Matt Roloff to teach us.

• Love 11
(edited)
21 minutes ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Sorry Sunny, Matt perpetrating how silly and useless and hysterical women are is not funny. It's Matt being an ass, and swinging his precious dick so he can let us all know how women are weak and stupid

I don't know why, but I have this vision of Amy driving herself or taking a cab to the hospital to deliver her babies.  Matt was probably out and about, professing his fustrations to the world.  What a fucking sexist he is.

And Amy, Amy, Amy!  You admire that Caryn respects professional boundaries?  Um, if she respected professional boundaries, she wouldn't be dating (and whatever else that entails) the boss!  Do these people ever listen to themselves?  I mean, their idiocy is BLARING!

Edited by beeziebee
  • Love 15

I've never had kids, but I did think Zack's baby seat, the one in the living room, that connects with a smart phone, was really cool.  Anyone know what it's called and how much it is?  Probably stupid expensive.

I FF through anytime Amy is on screen now.  Makes watching much more pleasant.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, LekoBoy said:

I've never had kids, but I did think Zack's baby seat, the one in the living room, that connects with a smart phone, was really cool.  Anyone know what it's called and how much it is?  Probably stupid expensive.

It's called a "mamaRoo".  They seem to range from $175 to $250.  I would like one that accommodates adults.  Looks really comfy and peaceful.

• Love 4
(edited)

Yay. Just what we all wanted to see. Another shower/party. When are those two girlfriends of hers going to tire of making everything all about Amy, all the time. And when are they going to stop encouraging her with Chris?  I guess a few extra TLC coins in worth all the ass kissing they do with her. 

I fast forward through all Jer and Auj scenes now. 

Tori is huge! Even her face is blown up like a balloon.  For such a naturally pretty girl she does not do pregnancy well. She is so pale, a little makeup would do her some good. 

What I enjoy most on this show is the sparring between Amy and Matt. She gives no shits about what he has to say and no tolerance for Caryn and let's him know it. It's funny to watch. 

Edited by bichonblitz
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

Heheh I kinda wonder if Zach and Tori are quite tolerant because Jer and Auj will soon be "TAKE THE BABY" to the inlaws.

As for the "blaring" comment - honestly, on reading Auj's various missives, I don't think she gets it from Jer.

Ha  - I have never read any of Odd's missives. The show is enough (often too much) of Odd and Jer for me. 

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, LekoBoy said:

I FF through anytime Amy is on screen now.  Makes watching much more pleasant.

I don't know much about it, but, must everything be about an App? lol  I suspect the company wants that so the parent can attend to the child, without putting down their phone.  Don't get me started.  I don't think that Tori or Zach will be that way, but, I know plenty who are.  

I find that Amy is now pleasant enough, since she met Chris, so I do enjoy seeing her now.  She seems to have a new perspective, so, as long as she and Matt aren't going at it, I'm okay.  To me, their staged tiffs, are just that.

Edited by SunnyBeBe
14 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Are "grandma showers" a thing now??  What a ridiculous gift grab. The fact that it was Amy's idea makes it even more eyeroll-inducing.

14 hours ago, Awfarmington said:

I have to agree!  Ridiculous for more than one reason. 

She can afford to buy baby stuff. Not that she really needs it, parents generally provide grandparents with essentials.  

How about a 'Grandma Celebration' party that she would host and its like a fun brunch or something. 

Amy isn't the first to throw themselves a shower/housewarming/whatever gift grabbing occasion there is. Others have done the same...TACKY! 

My sister in law had 3 baby showers for 1 baby. One thrown by MIL, one thrown by her mom and one by her friends. All showers were big, not intimate little affairs. I got an invite to each shower, as well as the aunts and other close family members. Not that she threw them for herself but just an example of how out of hand things can get. 

I'm such an old grump these days and don't attend any of these grifting occasions anymore...plus it gives the women there more opportunity to talk about me ☺️. 

Agree with you both. Buy your own ish, grandma! It's not like she can't afford it. A couple pack 'n plays/secondhand crib and some toys will suffice. The parents can bring everything else the kids might need. It's tacky as heck to suggest a party be thrown in your honor. 

A grandma celebration brunch would have been acceptable. 

Also this sandbox idea...meh. Aren't those things notorious for bacteria and parasites??

13 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I love all of this. Especially the paint colors. Hahahaha.

• Love 1

I'd be on board with the sandbox concept if the grandchildren were um... born and old enough to actually express an interest in a *giant* sandbox. I mean, it will essentially be nothing but a display item for at least a year or two. It's basically a toy for Matt.

• Love 5

I think everybody here who is getting all riled up about the ridiculous "Grandma Shower" forgets that this is a reality show and Amy needs a storyline.  This was a new way to focus on "fun and free Amy" without too much mention of Chris, and no mention of Matt.  It's just a storyline and a chance for all her girlfriends to get their 5 minutes on TV.  I would hope that Amy would have more class than to ask for a party and ask for gifts, but them maybe I'm wrong.  I just got the feeling the "Grandma Shower"  was producer-driven.  

• Love 3
1 minute ago, beeziebee said:

I think everybody here who is getting all riled up about the ridiculous "Grandma Shower" forgets that this is a reality show and Amy needs a storyline.  This was a new way to focus on "fun and free Amy" without too much mention of Chris, and no mention of Matt.  It's just a storyline and a chance for all her girlfriends to get their 5 minutes on TV.  I would hope that Amy would have more class than to ask for a party and ask for gifts, but them maybe I'm wrong.  I just got the feeling the "Grandma Shower"  was producer-driven.  

Possibly, but I would've been adamant about it just being a party, instead of a shower where friends bestow gifts upon me. If someone felt like gifting something, then fine, that's great. But I'd feel like a buffoon asking for gifts, producer-driven or not.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ZoloftBlob said:

I'd be on board with the sandbox concept if the grandchildren were um... born and old enough to actually express an interest in a *giant* sandbox. I mean, it will essentially be nothing but a display item for at least a year or two. It's basically a toy for Matt.

See, I thought this was another storyline, almost like a metaphor for how Amy should just open her wallet and do whatever Matt wants so they can all learn to "play nice" in the literal sandbox. 

Personally, I'd be afraid to have a large sandbox on a farm with animals roaming free.  I certainly wouldn't let my kids play in it.  Who knows what's been in there?

• Love 7

A few comments, in no particular order:

- Does anyone know how much Jer & Auj bid on that house?  A few episodes ago they were freaking out about having to possibly raise their bid.  I know housing in Portland is outrageous, but haven't they saved up any money from years on the show?  I was not impressed with the house.  It looked very "blah" to me on the outside, and the inside didn't look much better.  It certainly didn't look hipster or quirky enough for those two.

-  A grandma shower?!  Are you freaking kidding me?!  I thought gender-reveal parties were bad enough, but now the grandparents need their own shower?

- Chris....he's an odd one.  I see absolutely no love in his eyes when he is with Amy.  He looks bored half the time, maybe it's his monotone.  Amy's gung-ho about their 6-month anniversary and he pretty much said, "Let's just take it day by day."  He's in his mid-50s, has never been married and lived with someone for 7 years.  If Amy thinks she's going to snag him into a serious relationship, she is sadly mistaken. 

-I also see no affection between Caryn (sp?) and Matt.  I know she works for him, and needs to be professional, but I see no love between them.

- Why is Amy still living in that huge house by herself?  The kids are grown and moved out.  Seeing Matt on a daily basis only irritates her.  Why not move away from the farm?  She'd still be a partner in the business.  Is money worth the stress of dealing with Matt every day?

- Have any of you tried the pumpkin salsa?  I wonder how it tastes.  I admit it sounds pretty gross.

• Love 2

" It's basically a toy for Matt."  And a potty box for cats.

Did anyone else notice that Tori's mother was at the grandma shower?  I wonder if she also got a stash of gifts.

• Love 4

Grandmothers do a lot of work helping care for babies much of the time.  I think that a shower in their honor is not only cool, but, thoughtful.  I intend to steal the idea.  And for how the adult kids remember to bring proper change of clothes, enough diapers, etc. when they show up for visit....right! lol  Maybe, some young parents go out more prepared than others.  It appeared that Amy and her friends had a super good time, both preparing and at the event.  When Amy suggested it, it was likely due to brainstorming for TLC.  Just my suspicion. 

Oh, I wanted to say that I forgot to comment on Amy's dress from last week.  It was the one she wore at Jer and Auj's gender reveal party.  It was the best outfit that I've ever seen her in.  Too bad that Chris missed it. 

I'm not sure what order this is filmed in, but, last week Zach said that he felt uncomfortable talking with his mom about dating, but, then this week he's asking her about damage to the vagina during childbirth.  Hmmm.....

• Love 1

Sunnybebe - just be aware that if you look up the term grandma shower in etiquette websites, its by and large considered a tacky and gift grubbing step too far. I'm not saying don't do it but.... As for how stupid young parents are to not bring stuff...I don't know, isn't it enabling and a little sad grown adults can make babies but they can't be expected or trusted to bring diapers for babysitting? I think it's a bit ostentatious - I mean, I've been to actual baby showers for young new moms that weren't gifted as much and since the original purpose of a shower was to help new parents with a first child's expenses, it rubs me wrong. But I also agree it was a TLC sponsored idea. I actually wonder if Matt is chafing at not being the center of attention.

• Love 7

I was a little older than Jer & Auj when I had my first (I was 30), but my mom didn't have a grandma shower.  She found a lot of cool baby stuff at yard sales.  When I'd bring my child to her house I'd pack diapers, clothes, a blanket, bottles, etc.  It's not rocket science.  I hope "grandma showers" don't become a trend.

• Love 8
(edited)
1 hour ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Grandmothers do a lot of work helping care for babies much of the time.  I think that a shower in their honor is not only cool, but, thoughtful.

I couldn't agree more that grandparents are enormous sources of help & support for many couples.  They should be thanked more for what they do, but the shower idea is just icky IMO.  Especially when Amy has the resources to pick up a few extra outfits and essential baby gear.

Whether it was TLC's idea or Amy's, it looked tacky that it came from Amy.  If the producers wanted to stretch out this (very boring) season with another party, they should have approached the friend (with the age in-appropriate hair color and length) to be the one to come up with the idea on camera.  Amy looked like a gift grabber by asking for it herself.  Better yet, it could have been shown as a "surprise" for Amy, all arranged by the friends "behind the scenes".  I don't think it would be as off putting then. But I still think we as a society have made Every.Damn. life event a reason for making people pony up cash or gifts.  People today think that from their time as a fetus in the womb, they need to be celebrated. Look at how many parties some people subject their friends and family to:

Gender Reveal - Baby Shower(s)-  Meet the Baby/Homecoming - Infant's Religious ceremony (bris, Baptism) - 1st B-day - EVERY B-day - Preschool / Kindergarten 'graduation' - Recitals/Sports banquets - 1st Communion/Bar Mitzvah/Confirmation - 8th Grade graduation -Sweet 16 - High School graduation - College acceptance - Going Off to College - College graduation - Engagement  - Bridal Shower(s) - Wedding (a second local party if the "big day" is a 'destination wedding') - Housewarming -  2nd Gender Reveal - 2nd Baby Shower...Now let's throw in Divorce is Final parties & Grandparent Showers. Good Lord!  Yes, these are milestones in a person's life, but not every one of them needs to be a public plea for presents.  

Edited by BusyOctober
  • Love 10

Yes, I agree that that gift giving events can get out of hand, but, I just didn't sense that with Amy. Plus, they need tv material.  I might roll my eyes if they give Amy another Granny shower for her next grandchild. lol Normally, people don't have showers for a second or third birth, but, I've seen some.  I don't give gifts for just any event and I see nothing wrong with declining an invitation if you choose. 

Now, if they have a Grandpa shower......lol...Just kidding. 

• Love 1

Well, to a certain extent, I think the Roloffs are just much more "event" orientated than most. And there's a point where they just need ideas to film so "I'm having a party for reason x" gets intercut with "Matt rides his mechanical penis" scenes. . I will say, I did think of a reason why both Matt and Amy are essentially outfitting their homes for babies . The average babysitting? Its unnecessary, but the kids are going to need someplace to stay while the family is *filming* now won't they? Having two rooms with two cribs set up... makes sense.

• Love 1

I have 5 grandkids, 8, 5, 5 and twin 3 year olds.  Never had a grandma shower.  We bought one port-a-crib, a high chair and booster seat and some special plates for the kids to eat on when at my house.  In 8 years, I purchased two packs of diapers only because we ran out of the ones provided by parents after a blowout.  We did not need a lot of things, most of the clothes would be outgrown anyway and in the event of an "accident or feeding issue, I have a washer and dryer and could clean up the mess easily.  That shower was tacky and ridiculous.

• Love 8
50 minutes ago, BusyOctober said:

Gender Reveal - Baby Shower(s)-  Meet the Baby/Homecoming - Infant's Religious ceremony (bris, Baptism) - 1st B-day - EVERY B-day - Preschool / Kindergarten 'graduation' - Recitals/Sports banquets - 1st Communion/Bar Mitzvah/Confirmation - 8th Grade graduation -Sweet 16 - High School graduation - College acceptance - Going Off to College - College graduation - Engagement  - Bridal Shower(s) - Wedding (a second local party if the "big day" is a 'destination wedding') - Housewarming -  2nd Gender Reveal - 2nd Baby Shower...Now let's throw in Divorce is Final parties & Grandparent Showers. Good Lord!  Yes, these are milestones in a person's life, but not every one of them needs to be a public plea for presents.  

You forgot my favorite trend:  A push present (I know it's not a party, but it's one of those trends to get a gift).  UGGHH!  I really hate that.  I guess I should have not birthed my children since I was never given this stupid gift.  It's really out of hand.  Some of those events are definitely worthy of celebration, but seriously I hate the gender reveal parties.  I apologize if this offends anyone.  I guess I've finally turned into the grumpy crazy cat lady.  

• Love 10
4 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

Normally, people don't have showers for a second or third birth, but, I've seen some.

A relative of mine is having her 3rd baby boy (hey, at least this one's legitimate!) and her mother* threw her what they called a "Sprinkle". Supposedly it was a mini-shower "just to celebrate and maybe get some diapers" but I wouldn't know since I declined the invite. I will send a baby gift after he's born (I'm not a monster!)

*The age old rule that immediate family doesn't give showers seems to be way passé today.

In my experience, the grandparents buy their own shit and the big gifts (stroller, etc.) for their grand babies. Even the ones that don't have a TV show and gobs of $$$. Amy looks really bad for doing this party IMO.

• Love 5
(edited)
4 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I think they paid somewhere around $450,000.

In an link on Odd and Jer's thread it says they paid $465,000 for the 2700 sq ft 4 bedroom 2.5 bathroom house. While I think it is a nice looking house (and like all the hardwood and wood trim it has) I think the main attraction for Jer is that it is bigger than Zach's. Since Jer lost out of having the first grandchild, and the first grandson, I think he needs a bigger house than Zach to feed his bigger ego. 

I think if I was invited to a Grandma shower I would decline. The last baby shower I went to was for my hubby's nephew's wife, for their first child. If I was also invited to a shower for his sister to celebrate her becoming a grandmother? Just no. One shower per baby is plenty for me. But then I hate showers be it wedding or baby. (And refused to have one given for me for that very reason - lol). 

Edited by UsernameFatigue
  • Love 2

I will throw her a bone in that I assume this was production driven. I will also throw her a bone in that she's not poor, and NONE of her friends are poor, and they probably do this sort of party back and forth. I mean, you never hear about poor people having "grandma" showers or elaborate gender reveal parties. This is mostly a symptom of affluence.

I'm also not getting too much up in Tory and Audrey's grills over the reality that they're both going to have multiple showers and that they will each have a shower that is essentially thrown by family members, because this is about tv show production. And frankly, no one in their crowd appears to be scraping by so no one is getting screwed by gift requests.

It just looks tacky because baby showers originally were intended to help a couple out financially with the expense of baby things. There's no financial concerns for any of the Roloffs, so the showers and parties start to look less helpful and more greedy. I mean, I have had coworkers be genuinely offended at surprise showers for new babies because they think it implies they aren't capable of providing for a child on their own.

Personally, I liked the house Jeremy and Auj bought. I just hope it doesn't bite them on the ass.

• Love 2

I thought the grandma shower was fun.  Amy's friends were having a good time and I think they really wanted to do it.  I would certainly attend one and would have a good time.  Heck, we gave a shower for Kate Middleton and I could see doing something like that again.  The gifts all went to charity but some great stuff was collected--older ladies like buying baby stuff too!  Showers for a second same sex baby are tackier IMO.

I hated this show when Matt and Amy were married but I am liking it now.  I think the focus on Zach and Tori, and less acrimony between Matt and Amy make a difference.

I think what bugged me about the "Grandma shower" was Amy apparently going to the baby store to complete a registry. That made it a shameless gift grab in my eyes. Had it been a "Hey everyone, Amy's got two grandkids coming, let's buy her some diapers and clothes" but Amy wasn't involved in the planning, I wouldn't be so bothered. Amy was deeply invested in the planning of this thing though. Even if it was producer driven, it made her look awful.

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, MegD said:

I think what bugged me about the "Grandma shower" was Amy apparently going to the baby store to complete a registry. That made it a shameless gift grab in my eyes. Had it been a "Hey everyone, Amy's got two grandkids coming, let's buy her some diapers and clothes" but Amy wasn't involved in the planning, I wouldn't be so bothered. Amy was deeply invested in the planning of this thing though. Even if it was producer driven, it made her look awful.

Oh wow, see I was half kidding. I haven't seen it yet & didn't realize she actually did register for gifts. I agree with the posters here in that it's not like this family doesn't have money, so that just looks so greedy to me. I wonder if she has affluent friends that she'd be comfortable actually sending out to buy her these gifts. Maybe they at least each got a pittance to appear at the shower, or, hopefully TLC financed the whole thing, including the gifts. But damn that's taking tacky to another level.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Shmoopaloop said:

Agree with you both. Buy your own ish, grandma! It's not like she can't afford it. A couple pack 'n plays/secondhand crib and some toys will suffice. The parents can bring everything else the kids might need. It's tacky as heck to suggest a party be thrown in your honor. 

A grandma celebration brunch would have been acceptable. 

Also this sandbox idea...meh. Aren't those things notorious for bacteria and parasites??

And a favorite for cats to use as litter boxes.

• Love 3

My experience is that when it comes to toys and clothes parents wind up with more than they can use so it's not really an issue to have a basket or something to keep some of them at the grandparents house, as it is a lot of my friends wind up hoarding away some gifts and re gifting them (to the same child) for a different holiday because they get so much from others for Christmas/bdays (I mean they hoard away a gift they have purchased, if someone else gave it to them they still get the gift) or to keep with grandparents or rotate in as the kids grow tired of their toys. And a lot of the stuff is used for a relatively short amount of time so I'm not sure in the worth of purchasing a whole new set for a grandparent.

• Love 1

got the impression Odd was trying to hide her face in this episode.  She did her typical "look adoringly at Jerk" in her TH's, but she also hid most of her face under a hat.  And while sitting on Jerk's lap (blurg), she turned and twisted away from the camera.  Maybe she is self conscious about her looks as the pregnancy advances?  I didn't think she looked any different...same dead eyes and lack of affect as usual.

So, here's the thing.

Auj is the kind of woman who has a whole lot invested in the idea that she’s the pretty girl. Sure, she tries to pretend that she’s sporty and outdoorsy but that “I’m an outdoorsy farmer” Carthart jacket is spotlessly clean (so is outdoorsy Jer’s for that matter) and she’s not the sort of woman who forgets her makeup. Her body image is very important to her – and I am not chiding her for that. I may not agree with her style choices, but she’s obviously into being fit and limber and pretty and she works to maintain it.

The problem is that being pregnant and being pretty don’t really get along. She’s already done a very public  “OMG I’m pregnant and that means I’m automatically pretty! OMG Pregnancy = Pretty!” post on aujpoj.com. She’s also dramatically toned down the pregnancy shots – there hasn’t been a “Gosh look at my baby bump” shot in a bit.  There’s been a couple of pictures and shots on the show where I’ve genuinely wondered if she’s having a difficult pregnancy. She’s definitely having skin problems and she looks… really thin for someone who is five months along. In the Jer and Auj thread, I genuinely expressed the wish that someone would feed her. I wonder if being very self conscious of her looks and image and being displayed pregnant on a reality show is a bad combo for her as far as stress goes

• Love 3

When our first grandchild was on the way, one of my biggest joys was going to the store to buy things to get OUR house ready to have her come and visit often.  We had toys, clothes, diapers, a crib (used) and whatever we'd need to simplify having Mom and Dad drop her off.  The next year, her cousin came along - a little boy.  Mr. AZC's comment upon seeing the ultrasound was, "Well, I guess now we can go buy out the OTHER side of the baby department.

But I would never have expected anyone else to make sure we had supplies.  I think the shower is tacky.

• Love 7
13 hours ago, ZoloftBlob said:

My prediction: It will go the way of the pirate ship, the castle, and all the other "attractions" -- weathered, worn out, and hazardous within a couple of years.

• Love 2

What was the point of the sandbox being in view from Matt ahd Amy's windows? Go out and play little one.........that's a long time away. Matt is strange with his projects. It didn't seem like it was in an area children would be in while visiting the pumpkin patch, did it? 

And Amy's first comment, supposedly not knowing Caryn made the pumpkin shape suggestion was, don't make it with a lot of curves? What?