Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E04: Battle for the South: Hot Chicken in the City

Officially adding Craig Wayne Boyd to my list of mortal enemies. Now we're stuck with Diva McEyebrows for at least another week. *sigh*  

I'm not sad to see Frenchies go though.  You don't want to run a food truck, then I don't want you to win. Also, they want to open a restaurant but 2 of them don't have jobs? Hey, guess what might help you earn money to open your restaurant? A JOB.

• Love 13

Hate when they sometimes show the team members repeat everything Tyler says when he calls..

Tyler-"This is the LAST immunity challenge in this competition."

Team member  with phone :"It's the last immunity challenge in the competition."

Never had Nashville Hot Chicken before,is it really as hot as the teams were making it out to be while eating it..? They were acting like they were swallowing hot coals lol

Edited by TDT
  • Love 2

I was hoping the breakfast club would be gone this episode, but nope, they're here until the end.

I don't like any food that is that hot. I want to be able to taste something besides spicy.

• Love 4

I am not a fan of hot food(neither is my stomach!) but Po Boys did it the right way. They had a slaw to cool things off. Their food always looks good and I don't even like sandwiches.

By the amount of money that Braised in the South won by, they must have really great food and word must spread. If you take the $500 away from Po Boys, the bottom 3 teams did abysmally. They would have had $463, the Breakfast Club had $413 and Southern Frenchie somewhere in-between....not good numbers!

You know, I actually miss the speed bumps and detours they used to hand out...let's go back to the original concept!

• Love 8

I liked the Southern Frenchie truck, and I was very sorry to see them go. The next truck I want to go is the Breakfast Squad. Not because of Mrs. Mikey's looks, but because of their food. How would they get judged on coffee? How would they become breakfast fanatics stars in their own food? I eat pop tarts for breakfast.

• Love 4

I just realized what this season has been missing from the other seasons, Speedbumps and Pit Stops.

8 hours ago, GaT said:

I was hoping the breakfast club would be gone this episode, but nope, they're here until the end.

I don't like any food that is that hot. I want to be able to taste something besides spicy.

Nah it'll be Braised and Po, Breakfast Club hasn't been too impressive nor do I think they've won a tasting contest yet.

Edited by Skyfall
  • Love 1

They drove around for 3.5 HOURS looking for a parking space?  That's ridiculous. They could have cruised over to Memphis and set up in that amount of time.

One of the foodie driver people made the observation that all the heat was afterburn and it would be better if it would be part of the flavor.  Smart!

I enjoy burn-the-roof-of-your-mouth spice.  But shrimp and grits are not the base for that kind of heat.  That would just be an unidentifiable mouthful of texture, with flames.

• Love 3

I hate how some Millennials think that everything they do is a new and hip thing (I say some, because I never generalize any group and I currently have two millennials and they don’t act like the Breakfast Club kids at all).  When one of them said that people would buy from their truck because brunch is "trendy" I rolled my eyes so hard they practically fell out.  Brunch has pretty much always been a thing.  They didn’t make it popular again.  Speaking of Breakfast Club- maybe it was the editing, but the dance and “story” seemed hard, not consistent and not really learnable.  No one looked like they were doing it, either.  Also, a whole $1 off would not make me dance for food. But, they won.  I think it came down as the least terrible of the terrible marketing strategies. 

I like spicy food.  A lot.  But I never understand food that’s so hot it burns off your taste buds.  Then it doesn’t taste like anything.  It’s just screaming hot.  I like a hot that has good flavor and doesn’t cause me to cry or spew snot.

Did Southern Frenchie’s husband say she had a good singing voice????  Is he just completely tone deaf?  She’s TERRIBLE!  I also don’t get how they thought they’re promotion was so great.  She sang a terrible song and danced around in “princess” clothes.  I’m not so sad they were eliminated.

I still like Braised in the South.  I’m glad they won.  They’re more low-key so it’s probably harder for them to stand out on a reality show.  I just respect their cooking skills. 

Po’Boys “Poor Boy” was pitiful.  I don’t see how that would pull in crowds at all. I do think that they have quality food, though, based on the comments from past judges and Craig Wayne Boyd.

• Love 6
7 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

Did Southern Frenchie’s husband say she had a good singing voice????  Is he just completely tone deaf?  She’s TERRIBLE!  I also don’t get how they thought they’re promotion was so great.  She sang a terrible song and danced around in “princess” clothes.

Yes! The promotion stuff in general always makes me cringe but watching her was, by far, the most cringe-worthy one of the episode. Props to CWB (who is still my mortal enemy) for being so polite about it.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, candall said:

They drove around for 3.5 HOURS looking for a parking space?  That's ridiculous. They could have cruised over to Memphis and set up in that amount of time.

After driving around for an hour or so they should have had the truck stop and just prep, while the car looked for a good space. However, I suspect that they aren't allowed to do that anymore. They used to have full camera crews on every team, which allowed them to get footage of the truck when the car had to go back to the store.

The "poor boy" was so pitiful that I couldn't watch. I had to cover my eyes. It was that bad.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

After driving around for an hour or so they should have had the truck stop and just prep, while the car looked for a good space. However, I suspect that they aren't allowed to do that anymore. They used to have full camera crews on every team, which allowed them to get footage of the truck when the car had to go back to the store.

That would explain why Southern Frenchies moved the car and truck together when they were questioning their spot. That was a clear case for sending the car to scout.

All the driving around searching for spots never makes sense to me.  I'm sure FN has to make all kinds of arrangements with host cities including applications for temporary vendors' licenses and so on.  They must know where the trucks can and cannot park.  Also, when they do find spots, they always are conveniently large enough to hold a big truck AND a car.  

I liked the guy on Southern Frenchie (who looked like he might be related to the Property Brothers) but his wife had one of the worst voices I've ever heard.  I pretty much recoiled through every one of her THs.  The thought of her singing was a bit horrifying and it was as bad as I'd feared.  

I like the Po' Boys guys except for the crying and the woman with the terrible eye make up seems OK but I hope Braised wins.  They seem like normal people who don't need shticks and they clearly can cook.

• Love 8

Call me a cynic, but i think the producers had pre-determined that the Breakfast club would get to the final.  This episodes challenge seem specifically designed for them even though they were just as bad as the others. I have no idea how they have survived by putting eggs on tortilla chips and not actually cooking anything properly this long. It may also be why the speedbumps are not present as they would never have survived any decent cooking challenge.

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, mlp said:

All the driving around searching for spots never makes sense to me.  I'm sure FN has to make all kinds of arrangements with host cities including applications for temporary vendors' licenses and so on. 

They do.  I am pretty sure I heard the guy from Po' Boys (I know pretty much no one's name besides Mikey and that's because I find Mikey a very annoying name for anyone over 5) say as they were driving that "one of the spots" was down that road.  So, they were probably given a few possible locations and they had to determine which was the better.  I THINK the 3.5 hours of driving was because there was no parking...  ??  Maybe?

19 hours ago, TDT said:

Never had Nashville Hot Chicken before,is it really as hot as the teams were making it out to be while eating it..? They were acting like they were swallowing hot coals lol

Hee, I am watching SYTYCD and an ad for KFC Nashville Hot Chicken came on! Bingo, that is where I have seen it before, pickles and all! I am betting it is no where as hot as the original and I am also betting it would be too hot for me!!!!

8 hours ago, Whimsy said:

I hate how some Millennials think that everything they do is a new and hip thing (I say some, because I never generalize any group and I currently have two millennials and they don’t act like the Breakfast Club kids at all).  When one of them said that people would buy from their truck because brunch is "trendy" I rolled my eyes so hard they practically fell out.  Brunch has pretty much always been a thing.  They didn’t make it popular again.  Speaking of Breakfast Club- maybe it was the editing, but the dance and “story” seemed hard, not consistent and not really learnable.  No one looked like they were doing it, either.  Also, a whole $1 off would not make me dance for food. But, they won.  I think it came down as the least terrible of the terrible marketing strategies. 

I like spicy food.  A lot.  But I never understand food that’s so hot it burns off your taste buds.  Then it doesn’t taste like anything.  It’s just screaming hot.  I like a hot that has good flavor and doesn’t cause me to cry or spew snot.

Did Southern Frenchie’s husband say she had a good singing voice????  Is he just completely tone deaf?  She’s TERRIBLE!  I also don’t get how they thought they’re promotion was so great.  She sang a terrible song and danced around in “princess” clothes.  I’m not so sad they were eliminated.

I still like Braised in the South.  I’m glad they won.  They’re more low-key so it’s probably harder for them to stand out on a reality show.  I just respect their cooking skills. 

Po’Boys “Poor Boy” was pitiful.  I don’t see how that would pull in crowds at all. I do think that they have quality food, though, based on the comments from past judges and Craig Wayne Boyd.

Remember pho's season? All those marketing ideas were miles better than the ones we got last night.

7 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I was kinda surprised that all but one team went for hot shrimp. Is it just easier to cook than meat?

Yes plus probably cheaper to buy in bulk and outside of chicken it's probably the best blank canvas for a challenge like this since pork would have to be marinated or cut up in small bites. Also I think those three trucks all already have shrimp dishes so it wasn't going to be an added expense on them.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Yes! The promotion stuff in general always makes me cringe but watching her was, by far, the most cringe-worthy one of the episode. Props to CWB (who is still my mortal enemy) for being so polite about it.

I was legitimately hiding my face in a blanket from second hand embarrassment when she sang. So. Cringey. 

I thought Braised's idea of small take-away bags of rub with their social media info on them was actually pretty genius. People like a take-away item.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, GaT said:

Thank you. I just don't get the allure of mouth numbing, nose runningly spicy food. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I'm not into country music (except Johnny Cash) so I don't know who that guy was, but he is good looking. Thanks for the eye candy!

Same.  He won the Voice.  I do watch that show, but I FF about 95% of each show (I only listen to the songs that are of the genre of music that I like) so I didn't even recognize him.

10 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

I agree. I liked their promo stuff the best. Free stuff is always good! But I guess the show wanted a carnival instead. I even enjoyed Po' Boys sad little "idgaf buy a sandwich" stick man better than the other two.

The po boy for the po boys was a good idea but the execution was so bad. Put a little more effort plus maybe play some jazz or something (they're from Texas but cooking Cajun dishes) and I think they would've nailed it.

1 hour ago, cooksdelight said:

3.5 hours.... looking for a parking space. They should have been eliminated for that alone.

The Frenchie people with no jobs, no desire for a food truck, took the spot of someone who would dearly love to have one. Bye Felishia!!

I feel like the can't find a spot/parking is scripted or at least to a point. No one in their right mind would spend that time just driving around. Espically a group who's competing in their second food truck comp and won the first one.

• Love 2

I hate the whole gimmick challenge. The best food trucks, where I am from, don't have a gimmick. They use social media but not a gimmick. I think it is interesting that the winners of the challenge sold the least. That is quite telling.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

Thank you. I just don't get the allure of mouth numbing, nose runningly spicy food. 

I agree!!!! I like food with a little spice but something call 400 degree chicken would turn me off!!!

• Love 1

Mr Shibbles and I got to try some hot chicken when in Nashville a few months ago.  We went to Big Shakes Hot Chicken in Franklin, TN.  There is a LOT of heat.  We each got chicken tender baskets and chose the medium level heat, "stop, drop and roll", and our mouths were on fire!  I had mine with a side of greens, and the oil in the greens just carried the heat further.  Even the bread they served it on was hot because it soaked up the grease from the chicken.  It WAS really tasty, though.  

I felt bad for the contestants not getting any water to go along with it.

Edited by Mrs Shibbles
15 hours ago, Mrs Shibbles said:

Mr Shibbles and I got to try some hot chicken when in Nashville a few months ago.  We went to Big Shakes Hot Chicken in Franklin, TN.  There is a LOT of heat.  We each got chicken tender baskets and chose the medium level heat, "stop, drop and roll", and our mouths were on fire!  I had mine with a side of greens, and the oil in the greens just carried the heat further.  Even the bread they served it on was hot because it soaked up the grease from the chicken.  It WAS really tasty, though.  

I felt bad for the contestants not getting any water to go along with it.

You mean milk, water makes it worst.

On 9/11/2017 at 8:42 AM, Whimsy said:

This gives me a chance to steal my favorite line from Michael K's hilarious blog, Dlisted.

I forget which celebrity he was talking about, but he said:

"She sounds like Minnie Mouse passing a kidney stone."

Still, I'm sorry the Frenchies are gone.  The dog was adorable.

• Love 1