Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E08: Heist, Heist Baby

• Start Topic

Liked this one, and was pleasantly surprised to find myself enjoying Jelco. I couldn't stand him last season, but he was good as a bit of comic relief. ("Watch your back, No. 1. I'm coming for you.")

I can't believe how much I'm enjoying Aneela and Delle Seyah Kendry. If they weren't evil and intent on destroying Dutch & Co., I might actually root for those two crazy kids to make it.

Loved the last scene with D'Avin and Dutch (Luke Macfarlane had me riveted). So, Dutch is going to sacrifice herself to rid the J of Aneela. And D'Av (aka The Guy She Doesn't Protect From Ugly Shit") is going along with it...for now (and not telling Johnny about it). The run up to the finale should be interesting.

Who is The Lady Aneela keeps talking about?

• Love 11

The Lady is apparently the Hullen superboss.  I suspect that Dutch and Aneela will form an alliance against her, so maybe those two crazy kids (Della Seyah and Aneela) will make it after all.  Well, make it to next season, anyway.

I continue to love Zeph.  "Please don't say arm wrestle."  Also, Zeph trying to tell Dutch the situation and having a hard time because she was almost already grieving for Dutch was kind of wonderful.  I kind of think Dutch and D'Av kind of make the best couple because he's more her equal and she doesn't have to protect him from Ugly Shit.

• Love 6

Jelco and his buddies interrupting the KJ mission was a patented "Jelco Move" [see: KJ aftershow on Afterbuzz, for reference].

Big Borna has 3 wives, er husbands, and it just seems totally fitting.  Not surprised or bothered a bit.

The handcuffs on D'avin were a classic KJ mission 'unforeseen circumstance'.  ("What if I have to pee?")

Dutch's plan to win the war is a murder/suicide.  **[Please tell me this show has been renewed already, so that whatever evil diabolical cliffhanger this season might end on, we'll know it'll somewhat turn out ok by time S4 rolls around]**  I somehow don't think that Johnny will be much too pleased to learn about that.  And since they keep going with the "we'll always be (or do things) together/closest to my heart" dialogue between these two, I have to wonder if he will make the decision to sneak along behind her to (possibly/potentially) sacrifice himself to either make sure Dutch 'wins' or to prevent her from dying.

Did anyone else notice the correlation between the "you're my tether" lines from Aneela to DSK in this episode, to the "you're my gravity" line from Dutch to Johnny at the end of last season's 5th episode?  If there is a direct correlation, I'm not sure exactly what it signifies, since DSK & Aneela have slept together and Dutch & Johnny haven't, but it was something I picked up on - whatever the comparison (might) means.

At first I had to roll my eyes when the elongated scene of D'avin & Jelco in the back of the transport turned into the cliche "lets use this time to (in)directly talk about relationships {Du/D'a mostly, in this case}", but then I got a bit lost.  Jelco gives the usual "I see the way you look at her" spiel, but when D'avin says something like "this is Dutch and I'm not a 3rd husband", Jelco's reply is "but you are the number 2.".   So, does that make Johnny Dutch's Husband #1 [in Jelco's worldview] and he sees them as an Alpha Wife + 2 Beta Husbands 'team', or did I miss the actual (hidden) context there entirely?

War council!  And The FAP Squad all present and accounted for!!

Poor Zeph.  Heartbroken knowing what killing Aneela will do to Dutch.  ("That's not OK at all.")

• Love 3
3 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Jelco gives the usual "I see the way you look at her" spiel, but when D'avin says something like "this is Dutch and I'm not a 3rd husband", Jelco's reply is "but you are the number 2.".   So, does that make Johnny Dutch's Husband #1 [in Jelco's worldview] and he sees them as an Alpha Wife + 2 Beta Husbands 'team', or did I miss the actual (hidden) context there entirely?

It wasn't really hidden, but Jelco was saying that D'avin was Dutch's second-in-command.  In military parlance, the "Second" tends to do the dirtier command jobs so the CO commanding officer can command with clean hands.  They take care of all the other crap so the CO can command with a clear head and not be distracted by petty details.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, iRarelyWatchTV36 said:

Jelco gives the usual "I see the way you look at her" spiel, but when D'avin says something like "this is Dutch and I'm not a 3rd husband", Jelco's reply is "but you are the number 2.".   So, does that make Johnny Dutch's Husband #1 [in Jelco's worldview] and he sees them as an Alpha Wife + 2 Beta Husbands 'team', or did I miss the actual (hidden) context there entirely?

7 hours ago, johntfs said:

It wasn't really hidden, but Jelco was saying that D'avin was Dutch's second-in-command.  In military parlance, the "Second" tends to do the dirtier command jobs so the CO commanding officer can command with clean hands.  They take care of all the other crap so the CO can command with a clear head and not be distracted by petty details.

I thought it was both. D'avin is second-in-command, but Jelco believes that he is also #2 to Johnny in Dutch's heart. 

And, speaking of D'avin, I get the feeling that he'll be able to save Dutch after she kills Aneela.

• Love 7

Why does Dutch suddenly look a lot more like Aneela? New hair and all.

Hard to take Aneela seriously as a villain. She doesn't know much, and is more nutty than evil.

The first female then male pick up attempts in the bar were amusing. 

How many dangerous subgroups are there in the galaxy? 

All the planet scenes felt like Defiance.

• Love 4

Jelco!  Ha, he's such a dick, but I got a kick out of his return.  And I like that he and Big Borna actually do seem to care for one another.  Wife one and two better watch out!

After last week's revelations, I wonder if Aneela and Dutch's connection would mean that killing Aneela would kill Dutch, so I'm not surprised that it seems to be the case, and the reason Dutch now no longer wants to be the leader is because she plans on pulling an assassination/suicide on Aneela, and wants D'Avin to be the leader since she knows he can handle it.  I'm sure they'll find some way around it, but I'm curious to see how this is going to play out.  I do think it will be a mistake keeping this from John, so I hope he finds out soon.

Aneela finds Delle Seyah, and it sounds like she's basically making all the Hullen be under her control now, except Delle Seyah and the loyal handmaiden.  Gander is going to be in for a rough time!

The actual heist was fun even if, in typical Killjoy fashion, it ended with them just having to shoot everyone.  Granted, they couldn't even successfully seduce a mark and it had to end with D'Avin just knocking him out.

Loved seeing Pree, Fancy, and Alvis at the council meeting.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

I liked that too. Those three have such interesting, distinct personalities.

What happened to those poto-borg we sat earlier this season?

This show reminds me of the first two Star Treks in that it acknowledged people (and Hullen) are sexy people who are always thinking about sex, in all its many permutations.

4 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Me too! I love the shows supporting cast, and when they all get together, even if its just for a scene or two. They're my three favorites, they're all really fascinating and unique characters, even when they aren't around that much.

I really liked that episode, and the return of Jelco and Big Borna, even though I didn't really care for Jelco in the past. He was good comic relief, and Big Bornas three husbands was just a lot of fun. It was nice to see they actually have some feelings for each other, polygamy and yelling aside. And yes, they did have to tie it into the Dutch/Johnny/D'Avin relationship, which wasn't super subtle, but I thought it worked. I cracked up at Jelco saying that D`Avin was clearly "husband number two" to Dutch, which...probably isn't wrong. I think that Dutch loves both the Jacobis with all her heart, but they have different relationships with her. Dutch sees D`Avin as more of a comrade in arms, who she utterly trusts to get the job done, while Johnny is someone she feels connects her to her inner decency, and who she wants to protect. Granted, we have established that D`Avin wants to be closer to Dutchs heart, and Johnny wants her to treat him as more of an equal, so this is probably something that Dutch should consider. But, I'm still pretty sure Johnny is her favorite. She has the longest history with him, a really intense emotional connection with him, and people keep making comments on how they seem to husband/wife to people. And Aaron and Hannah will just NOT stop with the heart eyes!

Its really interesting, and better than a more traditional love triangle.

Also, "closest to my heart"? Seriously, this show is making my shipper heart both swoon and hurt at the same time.

I kind of love Della Seyah and Aneela, crazy and demented that they are. I think Aneela and Dutch could end up teaming up against this mysterious Lady, and maybe then they could ride off into the crazy, crazy sunset. I also like the handmaiden who is sticking with Aneela. I can appreciate her thought process of "this crazy chick is WAY scarier than that other guy, I'm back her", although it seems like she has some real loyalty towards her.

• Love 9

This episode was chock full of cheeky dialogue, more so than usual even!  That being said I could definitely have done without all the "ass to mouth" references. 

As others mentioned above I am feeling surprisingly sympathetic about both Kendry and Aneela. At this point I do hope they all team up against "The Lady". Although it does raise an interesting point. If Khlyen cut out all Angela's memories of how Dutch came to be, who the hell does Aneela even think that Dutch is? 

Also, one tiny nitpick. There is absolutely no indication that Khlyen trusted Kendry in any way. For Aneela to offer that up as a reason for her initial interest in Kendry is a step too far. The show is retconing that relationship way to much if that is what we are supposed to believe. 

Edited by CaptainTightpants
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I cracked up at Jelco saying that D`Avin was clearly "husband number two" to Dutch, which...probably isn't wrong. I think that Dutch loves both the Jacobis with all her heart, but they have different relationships with her. Dutch sees D`Avin as more of a comrade in arms, who she utterly trusts to get the job done, while Johnny is someone she feels connects her to her inner decency, and who she wants to protect. Granted, we have established that D`Avin wants to be closer to Dutchs heart, and Johnny wants her to treat him as more of an equal, so this is probably something that Dutch should consider. But, I'm still pretty sure Johnny is her favorite. She has the longest history with him, a really intense emotional connection with him, and people keep making comments on how they seem to husband/wife to people. And Aaron and Hannah will just NOT stop with the heart eyes!

Also, "closest to my heart"? Seriously, this show is making my shipper heart both swoon and hurt at the same time.

If you think the shipping business in this episode was a little painful to figure out, the promo for next week suggests the 'real' hurt could be coming.  [or 'swoon', if you're a fan of the pair that was implied to be on display]

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 1

Such a funny/bizarre/angsty episode and the finale is coming too darn fast... or maybe not fast enough, depending on how things go next week. 

I don't have time to go back and rewatch right now but did I hear correctly that the "Lady" is somehow trapped in the green and looking for a way out/way to pass into this universe?  Because all I could think of is the way they looked at DSK's very pregnant belly when they said that. 

• Love 3
54 minutes ago, tessaray said:

Such a funny/bizarre/angsty episode and the finale is coming too darn fast... or maybe not fast enough, depending on how things go next week. 

I don't have time to go back and rewatch right now but did I hear correctly that the "Lady" is somehow trapped in the green and looking for a way out/way to pass into this universe?  Because all I could think of is the way they looked at DSK's very pregnant belly when they said that. 

That was the (possible) implication I was picking up on, @tessaray.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

{I know you're a D/J shipper, @tennisgurl, so this not meant as an argumentative post against yours, but just my overall thoughts on it}

I see what you're saying, but find it hard to agree - at least in the way you meant.

To me, they have [up to this point of the series] set up the relationships of the main three as;
Dutch/Johnny = everything but the physical components (ie, kissing/making out/sex)
&
Dutch/D'avin = physical benefits without really deep feelings or history involved (yet, at least)

Dutch & Johnny are the truest of friends with lots of history, but I'll never be convinced that other feelings aren't involved - even if 'buried under the surface' - on both sides, after the scenes & dialogue we've gotten in the past couple of seasons between them.

The problem I have - and have always had - with a D/D pairing, with Johnny on the same ship and team [& not paired with someone else], is that one brother {J} is delegated to supply all the emotional and intellectual stability in Dutch's life, while the other {D'a} gets to reap the sexual benefits of said stability.  That's just laughably unrealistic.  Lucy is a pretty petite lady of a spaceship, so there would be no avoiding the always present high levels of awkwardness.

Yes, I realize the above reasoning counts as roadblocks against a possible D/J as well, but at least that pairing would have some history and emotional foundations behind it.

[/ steps off shipper soapbox]

• Love 1

@iRarelyWatchTV36 I get what your saying, and if something actually happened between D/D, it would be EXTRA awkward, as opposed to a D/J pairing. It was super awkward back in season 1 when D/D hooked up in the first season, because of that very close relationship that Johnny and Dutch have. And while I can see what your saying about D/D having more physical chemistry, while D/J have a more emotional connection, I still think that it comes more down to Dutch thinking of them in very different ways, and I think they both have a Grass is Always Greener feeling towards their relationships with Dutch. Johnny was jealous when he saw the physically attraction between D`Avin and Dutch, while I think D`Avin is jealous of the emotional connection between Johnny and Dutch.

To me, Johnny and Dutch just make more sense. They have the strongest connection, and the most romantic chemistry, and, really, I think Dutch and D`Avin are too much alike, both with too much baggage, to be really healthy. While Johnny certainly has his own issues and baggage, he tends to handle it better, and I think that makes him and Dutch more compatible romantically.

So, if next weeks looks like its going where it looked like it was going in the preview, I'm going to be watching with booze on standby!

• Love 2

He, Aneela and Kendry are the sweet toxic ship I never knew I wanted!

This was fun but not quite as much fun as I expected (admittedly I love heist episodes and therefore my expectations are always very high).  Zeph and Dutch remain an unexpected but very strong pairing. The last scene with D'avin was also great. It makes sense that Dutch would tell him the truth but not Johnny. As for any ships: I guess the preview is once again misleading. Everybody's got bigger fish to fry at the moment.

• Love 2

I wouldn't say that D/D have more physical chemistry, per se, @tennisgurl - especially when we watch stuff like the not-kissing!lockpick passing with their lips, 'forehead kiss', hugs and other somewhat intimacy-implied touches, gestures & looks between D/J.  I just feel its unreasonably unfair to expect Johnny to be OK with a D/D pairing when he's everything (else) to/for Dutch.  Looking back, I think that is why he dove 'all in' with Pawter last season - allowing himself to have a relationship with every aspect included.  Even if D/D wasn't happening last year, Dutch was hooking up with Alvis at the time [whatever happened to that 'fling', anyhow?  no follow-up whatsoever there].

Another unfavorable aspect to the recent D/D stuff is that they had the majority of 3 months between the time Johnny took off and rejoined them (between seasons).  IF there really is something there between them, why haven't we got flashbacks or mentions to them succumbing to the desires - or nearly so - w/o Johnny around?  Missing Johnny and [somewhat] loneliness, etc, should have made their PLI stronger, but we've had no references to anything of the like.

4 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

My money is on Delle Seyah's baby being the vessel for the 'The Lady'.

Mine too. 

But I wouldn't be surprised if its another Aneela, one without 'deficiencies' - so they can rid themselves of a 'too feely' Hullen, that is more of an enemy than an ally. 

Shallow satorial comment:  Dutch's hair this week did her no favors.  At. All.

Still hoping Aneela bites it....soon.  The character grates on me.

Loved the caper plot line.  I wish there was more of those and less Hullen.  Thought Jelco's marriage with Borna was hilarious and sweet and kind of icky all at the same time.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, MostlyC said:

Shallow satorial comment:  Dutch's hair this week did her no favors.  At. All.

Hanna John Kamen is stunningly beautiful but she can't pull off those short bangs. I was wondering why they opted for that look in this episode (last time Dutch wore bangs was IIRC in The Harves (S1.03).

• Love 2

I really enjoyed a lighter episode. I like when the gang acts like the gang, quips and all. 

The last scene between Dutch and D'av was so sad. Both of them killed that scene.

As I have said before, I don't ship anyone (except surprisingly Aneela and Delle Seyah, who were fairly adorable despite being sorta totally evil). I think Dutch and Johnny work as friends, and I don't generally get romance from them. Dutch and D'av have the physical and they have really grown close but I don't really want to see them together either. For me, the dynamic works and pairing either of them will just lead to drama. 

I love the worldbuilding of this show. Tonight wasn't as cool as some of the other recent glimpses we got into life planetside, but it was still fun to watch. Really, the whole episode was fun to watch.

• Love 2

Until DSK I just wanted Aneela to be gone, by any means possible. Now... I don't exactly ship them either but agree they are kind of adorable in a weird, psychotic way. 

If Dutch wanted both Johnny and D'avin, evidently that's no problem in the Killjoys 'verse.  Neither one seems exactly right to me, though if I had to choose a ship, it would probably be D/J. 

• Love 3
21 hours ago, tessaray said:

Until DSK I just wanted Aneela to be gone, by any means possible. Now... I don't exactly ship them either but agree they are kind of adorable in a weird, psychotic way. 

If Dutch wanted both Johnny and D'avin, evidently that's no problem in the Killjoys 'verse.  Neither one seems exactly right to me, though if I had to choose a ship, it would probably be D/J. 

WRT to 'the triangle', I would ultimately prefer that Dutch wasn't paired with either brother and they just kept it platonic - although one of the later scenes in 3.9 seemed to potentially imply that D/D did some bedroom calisthenics again - along with the aborted kiss & discussion stuff in the last couple eps.  The awkwardness (on screen) would wear thin real fast, so it would be best to just keep it 'good enough friends to be more like a family unit'.

But if they have it made up in their minds that they will pair Dutch with one of the Jaqobis, then Johnny is my choice for her PLI. 

• Love 1
On 8/19/2017 at 11:55 PM, tessaray said:

Yes, that's what I thought of too, especially along with Aneela's special ability to bring people out of the green.

• Love 1
On 8/21/2017 at 5:30 PM, MissLucas said:

Hanna John Kamen is stunningly beautiful but she can't pull off those short bangs. I was wondering why they opted for that look in this episode (last time Dutch wore bangs was IIRC in The Harves (S1.03).

She has had so many more beautiful hairstyles than the one this episode. It looked kind of weird. Her makeup looked odd, too. She just seemed different.

• Love 1

I too wonder why Aneela believes Dutch is.  She probably thinks someone got ahold of her genetic material and made a clone to "replace" her.

I kindof lol'd that DSK didn't "realize" she was pregnant until after she killed a guard and put her hands down and felt the belly.  Seriously, if you went to sleep not-pregnant and then woke up 8 months pregnant, you'd notice immediately.

I too think that somehow they will resolve the conflict with both Aneela and Dutch living, since I think Dutch is right that if Aneela dies, she does too, because the green made her.

The whole science behind the green is a bit confusing.  There are different types, but once its in your body and you drain it, its now your green that you can then use to control others?  idk.  I guess just roll with it.