Type keyword(s) to search

Everyone's Talkin': Industry News

• Start Topic

(edited)

From mergers to media stories, share the pretty news from the glam world's perfectly glossed lips.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________

Have any of you seen the latest beauty-world fuss? Makeup and tattoo artist Kat Von D sponsored a national contest seeking an unknown to create a look for her brand’s Saint + Sinner line. A Kansas MU artist named Gypsy (yep) won – but was suddenly DQd after KVD discovered Gypsy had images on her SM that conflicted with her (KVD's) views.

KVD said:

…it would be “borderline impossible” for her to associate with anyone who supports “a man who goes against everything I stand for. I would feel the same way towards people who supported Hitler, or any other fascist.”

The entire prize package is said to be worth only a bit more than $2,000 but questions have arisen (on da Webz, natch) if this could permanently damage young Gypsy’s career. Personally, I think it will raise her profile and might benefit her in the long run. I do wonder if it might harm KVD financially – her comments could offend customers who disagree with her approach or who feel her actions were petty.

Here’s some linky goodness:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/jul/24/gypsy-freeman-kat-von-d-contest-winner-disqualifie/

https://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/07/24/makeup-artist-wins-prestigious-national-contest-then-its-discovered-shes-a-trump-supporter/

Edited by steelcitysister
zombie attack!
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, steelcitysister said:

Personally, I think it will raise her [Gypsy Freeman] profile and might benefit her in the long run.

I certainly hope so. It was a contest; the rules don't say anything about "I don't like you so you can't be the winner."

Rules here ...   http://www.katvondbeauty.com/saintsinnercontest.html

I do find it interesting that Kat can use the winning entry without compensation: "Entering the Promotion constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use participants’ photo, caption, any accompanying material, and names (first name and last initial) for the purpose of advertising or promotion via consumer newsletter and social media channels (Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/Google+/Pinterest) without compensation,"

Edited by ennui
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, ennui said:

I do find it interesting that Kat can use the winning entry without compensation: "Entering the Promotion constitutes permission for the Sponsor and its agencies to use participants’ photo, caption, any accompanying material, and names (first name and last initial) for the purpose of advertising or promotion via consumer newsletter and social media channels (Instagram/Twitter/Facebook/Google+/Pinterest) without compensation,"

This is not unusual in the fine print (and why one should always read the fine print), both in the rules of contests and the TOU of websites, including this one. In this case, the prize is really the publicity that would come from being promoted as the winner by the Kat Von D brand, as much as it is the nominal prize of a trip for two to the launch party.

52 minutes ago, callie lee 29 said:

Interesting. Question will be I guess, would Kat be able to use her entry if they disqualified her after her winning?

I assume so (I'm not an attorney, however; I just play one on the web). The contest rules stipulate that all entrants are granting the company permission to use their entries, not just the winner's. And again, that's not unusual. Even if she doesn't get the prize, by entering the contest she still agreed to the official rules. What'll be interesting to see is whether a new winner is selected, or whether they quietly walk away from the contest if there's too much negativity surrounding this move.

The winner's sentiments are hardly surprising, given the political demographics of Oklahoma. The irony is that the contest is centered on social media, but if it had occurred before the age of social media, Kat Von D probably would not have any encountered any evidence of the winner's politics.

Edited by caitmcg
To fix the transposition of two letters.
  • Love 2
(edited)

KVD posted an update on her IG that it's simply a dreadful misunderstanding, people shouldn't be pitching fits and (to drive home the point that it's not her, it's us) we're all big doody-heads. 

https://www.thecut.com/2017/07/kat-von-d-allegedly-disinvited-a-trump-supporter-to-a-party.html?utm_campaign=thecut&utm_source=tw&utm_medium=s1

In other news:

Last month, NARS announced it is entering the Chinese market and, to do so, must comply with that nation's requirements for animal testing (NARS is or was a cruelty-free brand). On IG, the company released a statement that said, in part:

We have decided to make NARS available in China because we feel it is important to bring our vision of beauty and artistry to fans in the region.

NARS reiterated that it is committed to eradicating animal testing. Some of the brand's fans are not happy, claiming it's not about vision (per the party line above) but rather the company choosing money above its stated ethics.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/nars-cosmetics-boycott-cruelty-free-brand-no-longer-consumers-chinese-market-china-animal-a7814466.html

https://www.allure.com/story/nars-cruelty-free-controversy

Edited by steelcitysister
Spelling. Bad.
  • Love 1
On 7/26/2017 at 6:22 PM, steelcitysister said:

KVD said:

…it would be “borderline impossible” for her to associate with anyone who supports “a man who goes against everything I stand for. I would feel the same way towards people who supported Hitler, or any other fascist.”

Ummm...didn't she date Jessie James, notable Hitler supporter, for a significant period of time? 

On 7/28/2017 at 2:13 PM, steelcitysister said:

In other news:

Last month, NARS announced it is entering the Chinese market and, to do so, must comply with that nation's requirements for animal testing (NARS is or was a cruelty-free brand). On IG, the company released a statement that said, in part:

NARS reiterated that it is committed to eradicating animal testing. Some of the brand's fans are not happy, claiming it's not about vision (per the party line above) but rather the company choosing money above its stated ethics.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/fashion/nars-cosmetics-boycott-cruelty-free-brand-no-longer-consumers-chinese-market-china-animal-a7814466.html

https://www.allure.com/story/nars-cruelty-free-controversy

Damn, really? I've been buying Nars for years but can't get behind this. I might email Sephora.

• Love 1

I'd boycott NARS products but, of the few free samples I've tried, have never liked them.

Their statement about deciding to sell their products in China is despicable.  Another corporation whose "values" get tossed in the trash once they need to make a few extra dollars.

Also will Nars attempt to  reverse course if they take a financial hit from longterm customers decamping -- and will those angry customers come back? It will be interesting to follow how it plays out.

3 hours ago, sarivon said:

Also will Nars attempt to  reverse course if they take a financial hit from longterm customers decamping -- and will those angry customers come back? It will be interesting to follow how it plays out.

I'd be willing to bet Nars doesn't care, because as it mentions in the article, China is a HUGE market for beauty products. Whatever losses they sustain in the US, they'll make up for it in China. 

Also, just Google "beauty companies that test on animals." It's an enormous list. There are also many brands that promise to be cruelty-free, but are owned by bigger brands that don't make the same promise. 

• Love 2

True but that can be said of a lot of things. In Grocery like 6 main parent companies produce most of smaller brands and items you find in center store (non perishable). 

Jeffree Star said something interesting a couple weeks ago on Shane Dawson's podcast.* He said Kat Von D was a dumb whore but good at tattoos. ? He later elaborated she's stupid she only makes 10% off of her cosmetics from Sephora. Jeffree's line is not in Sephora. He's also shaded mall brands. 

Does that seem legit? 

*Autocorrect made my typing Jeffree hard, also, I heard the main bits of the podcast on Rich Lux's channel.

A favourite cruelty-free line of mine is called da-lish cosmetics.  Their line isn't huge, and it's very "lazy woman friendly" - (eye shadows are in wands rather than in powder form, for example) and I think they were one of the first brands to take on multi-use products.  They're based in Toronto and sell online and at select health/natural food and beauty stores across Canada.  They're also available at some stores internationally (go to Where to Buy on their website). 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

Jeffree Star said something interesting a couple weeks ago on Shane Dawson's podcast.* He said Kat Von D was a dumb whore but good at tattoos. ? He later elaborated she's stupid she only makes 10% off of her cosmetics from Sephora. Jeffree's line is not in Sephora. He's also shaded mall brands. 

I don't know if it's as low as 10%, but I do think Sephora takes a pretty deep cut and that's why a lot of smaller companies won't go in Sephora, or why some eventually pull out.

But one thing I will say for Kat Von D (the Nars piece made me think of it) - I will always respect her for pulling out of China once she went vegan and decided to make her brand cruelty-free. That's a big hit to take to your profits, and she put her money where her mouth is.  When it comes to cruelty-free, I will still buy the line even if the parent company isn't cruelty-free (mainly to show the cruelty-free line can make money), but if the brand itself isn't cruelty-free, I'm out - looks like I'm on the hunt for a Nars dupe for their blush!  

It does seem like a lot but i have to wonder if that helps make some brands like KVD, Bite, Too Faced, Urban Decay as famous and common as they are...that they are being sold Thee Heavy Hitter. Like there's people who would have never been exposed to a lot of the brands if they weren't in Sephora or part of the emails and Play. Also, I think/guess Sephora handles a lot of the overhead of shipping and returns which is one less thing for up coming brands to establish and worry about. 

Now Jeffree addressed that as well. He said he has his own huge warehouse and shipping center with 200 employees (his bf Nate who moved from MI works there too now). Anyways he praised himself/bragged for that because he makes money on the shipping charges, plus uses that warehouse to pack and send other companies items and apparently a few rappers merch for them. This is how he's affording closets of Birkins, a fleet of luxury cars, and chartering a Jet for a YouTube tutorial. 

5 hours ago, emma675 said:

Jeffree Star sounds like an asshole. I'm not a big fan of KvD but any man who calls a woman a "dumb whore" is someone I'm going to automatically despise.

You have no idea. He's said some very racist and misogynistic things over the course of 10 years. He's pretty vindictive too, has a list of enemies, and goes through "best friends" faster than underwear. He is polished public speaker though and crafty. 

• Love 4

Looks like the release date for Fenty Beauty is September 8th.  However, they still haven't released any photos or previews or info on the products.  To be a month out with absolutely no product info seems to be cutting it close, but I guess they're banking on moving sales solely based on branding/celebrity.

• Love 1

I know! That seems weird. But I've heard from a Sephora employee it's supposed to be really good. Obviously, since Rihanna is such an iconic beauty and it's gonna be in Sephora expectations are high. I hoping for cutting edge shades and formulas made for people of all skin tones and types with stylish packaging, all at a reasonable price point. 

On 8/2/2017 at 2:21 PM, ennui said:

I've often read that companies claim 'no animal testing,' but that some of the ingredients are tested prior by another company.  

This is true. Some of the materials used could have been tested on animals years ago by other companies.  While the company currently using the ingredient may not have tested it on an animal, they are benefiting from another company having already done the 'dirty' work.

• Love 1

My take on the animal testing of older ingredients is that many of these ingredients are ubiquitous and were tested decades ago before alternatives to animal testing were developed, thus I have no issue with their use. I also have no issue with buying cruelty free brands that are owned by non cruelty free parent companies. 

Basically, if the company is on the Cruelty Free Kitty list it is okay by me.

• Love 2

Just in time for the big Sephora sale! Woot! These prices are very low and cruelty free. 

speaking of Sephora did y'all hear about the change in the points program? Honestly, I think they already low key did that. I had an account with my full full name and uni email and didn't use it or my points for 2 years at the store and "poof" they went. 

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

Just in time for the big Sephora sale! Woot! These prices are very low and cruelty free. 

speaking of Sephora did y'all hear about the change in the points program? Honestly, I think they already low key did that. I had an account with my full full name and uni email and didn't use it or my points for 2 years at the store and "poof" they went. 

I did, but since I practically get my paycheck direct deposited at Sephora, it has had no effect on me.

• Love 1
41 minutes ago, Petunia13 said:

What's the change to the points program?  I have a ton of points, mostly because many of the products are perfumes, colors that are not for my skin color/tone, or stuff I'm simply not interested in trying.  

3 hours ago, luckyroll3 said:

What's the change to the points program?  I have a ton of points, mostly because many of the products are perfumes, colors that are not for my skin color/tone, or stuff I'm simply not interested in trying.  

Yeah, I'm$79 away from VIB (!), it can't go away!!

• Love 1
22 hours ago, callie lee 29 said:

Yeah, I'm$79 away from VIB (!), it can't go away!!

The points expire now if you don't use them or purchase in year and half. They did this to me before with my old Sephora account that had my full name and college email linked. 

So am I last person to know Anastasia Beverly Hills is for sale?  That might be why they are releasing new palettes so often and new formulas

Fragrances - I'd rather spend $30 on the rollerball fragrance at Sephora or whoever else sells them than buy a fake. With stores like Winners/Marshalls/TJ Maxx, you can also get some good deals on fragrances! Even Costco now has the fragrance pallets that come in every August that'll set you back $60! If you find something you like and will pay $100 or so at the store, it's a good deal!

About 20 years ago, I bought a Vuitton replica bag in Rio. I knew it was a fake and I didn't care. Didn't like how Vuitton burned any bags that didn't sell instead of discounting them at the end of the season. No, it doesn't make it exclusive. I like nice bags but I am not going to spend $2000 on one. The fake is a grey area - some are obvious - plastic Chanel totes I see on the train a bit. With sales and outlets, you can get a decent mid-range bag for a good price. I can't justify thousands for a purse. $2-400 for a decent bag to carry every day that'll last for a few years? Decent investment in terms of cost per use. Not fond of brands like Michael Kors saturating the market with bags, outlet bags, etc. But it means that you can spend a little more and get something that will last.

There is a very limited number of people who can afford couture or ready to wear fashion from the major fashion houses. I like good quality shoes so I will occasionally buy a high end shoe at full price - I have expensive feet and it's hard to find shoes that fit. I will normally wait for sales. Some cheaper brands are hit and miss. Mostly miss for me. Most stuff I buy is watered down from the ready to wear lines. Don't need to wear expensive stuff where I work now. Few folks dress up any more and it's mostly business casual. Some of the cheap stuff like Forever 21 or H&M and Zara are lucky to last a few wears, much less a season. I tend to mix stuff - some stuff from places like Holt Renfrew to the Bay, Old Navy, Gap, Banana Republic, Loft, Winners/TJ Maxx/Marshalls and the always decent and well priced Simons.

A few years ago we were in Manhattan when a guy comes up to us on the street and opens up a big pack filled with designer handbags. Shady, yes, but I picked one up to look at it, as did a bunch of other women. Suddenly the cops come up and arrest the guy. I dropped the purse and my sister-in-law and I booked it out of there. When we were back on the train to Philly I told her, "I should have just kept the stolen bag, the cops never even noticed us!"

So Rihanna's makeup line FentyBeauty launched a few minutes ago(3am, midnight pacific). I bought a lipgloss, highlighter duo and foundation(was 1 of 40 shades so I almost assuredly picked the wrong color).

her website had a queue that told you exactly where you were in line. Sephora's website was just blank but the sephora app was a champion. I was done with my order within 10 minutes of launch. 

15 hours ago, Watermelon said:

foundation(was 1 of 40 shades ...

I dropped by Sephora earlier to check out the products and got a sample of the foundation in its lightest shade -100. I was impressed by the range of colors available. The matte formula is almost powdery. I usually lean towards a light satin finish when I wear base (mostly in the evening) so I will be interested to see how this lives on my face. Of the clamoring crowd of shoppers, the most popular item seemed to be the Retouch Primer. I tried it on the inside of my wrist and it had a nice finish so I may score a sample of that next time I'm @Seph.

On 9/8/2017 at 8:04 AM, luckyroll3 said:

I'm disappointed that there was only 1 lip product to choose from.  Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Like I thought, sephora lady did not match me with the color I bought. I'll have to see if I like my choice better. The lip is cute in a universal way. Super basic, but since liquid mattes have been the trend it's kind of nice. Trophy Wife highlighter is gold AF. The highlighter I bought is moscow mule and gorgeous. 

While I was there I talked myself into buy the contour sticks. They blend so nicely and SCS is right, it almost turns powdery. 

Okay, maybe I'm just not into celebrity brands, but I really DO NOT get Fenty.  Is everyone going for it because it's Rihanna's line or for another reason?  If it's about skin tone range, plenty of other brands have that too - Bobbi Brown, MAC (especially MAC - yeah, I know, it's NOT at Sephora, but still), Make-up Forever, Nars, etc, etc... 

On 9/17/2017 at 4:54 PM, PRgal said:

Okay, maybe I'm just not into celebrity brands, but I really DO NOT get Fenty.  Is everyone going for it because it's Rihanna's line or for another reason?  If it's about skin tone range, plenty of other brands have that too - Bobbi Brown, MAC (especially MAC - yeah, I know, it's NOT at Sephora, but still), Make-up Forever, Nars, etc, etc... 

It's Rihanna and it's the shade range of foundations. While Bobbi has the color, Bobbi skews old(er). Mac didn't have that many darker colors and most black women have a story about being matched as NC45. I was NC45 for the longest until an artist updated me to NC50. There's only about 3/4 shades darker that that in mac.  

Also, she's one of the few celebrity lines to look well thought out. Just compare riri's contour sticks to Kim kardashians. The level of effort and care aren't close.

• Love 2
On 9/18/2017 at 7:22 PM, Watermelon said:

It's Rihanna and it's the shade range of foundations. While Bobbi has the color, Bobbi skews old(er). Mac didn't have that many darker colors and most black women have a story about being matched as NC45. I was NC45 for the longest until an artist updated me to NC50. There's only about 3/4 shades darker that that in mac.  

Also, she's one of the few celebrity lines to look well thought out. Just compare riri's contour sticks to Kim kardashians. The level of effort and care aren't close.

I guess I'm old!!!  Bobbi was THE LINE to get when I was in high school and university - if you had money left over.  It was that or Stila and this was in the late 90s/early 2000s.  I guess 38 is considered "older" now!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, PRgal said:

I guess I'm old!!!  Bobbi was THE LINE to get when I was in high school and university - if you had money left over.  It was that or Stila and this was in the late 90s/early 2000s.  I guess 38 is considered "older" now!

Lol. In my town the young women of color wore MAC. Their moms wore Bobbi Brown. It may be a location thing more than age. I'm 32 :)

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Watermelon said:

Lol. In my town the young women of color wore MAC. Their moms wore Bobbi Brown. It may be a location thing more than age. I'm 32 :)

Could be.  Practically everyone wore MAC as well (well, young people, anyway).  Lancome was for older ladies (I think it was until the Juicy Tube craze)!

Like I thought, sephora lady did not match me with the color I bought. I'll have to see if I like my choice better. The lip is cute in a universal way. Super basic, but since liquid mattes have been the trend it's kind of nice. Trophy Wife highlighter is gold AF. The highlighter I bought is moscow mule and gorgeous. 

A lot of people didn't understand saying well it's 20 am eyeshadow so it's overpriced anyhow... 

sephora doesn't set the prices and pays for the displays. In retail shrink directly affects employee hours, hiring, and promotions. I see it all the time in my organization. I also see a lot of irresponsibile parents/entitled parents and sometimes wilding and rude kids at my mothers restaurant or my store. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

A lot of people didn't understand saying well it's 20 am eyeshadow so it's overpriced anyhow... 

sephora doesn't set the prices and pays for the displays. In retail shrink directly affects employee hours, hiring, and promotions. I see it all the time in my organization. I also see a lot of irresponsibile parents/entitled parents and sometimes wilding and rude kids at my mothers restaurant or my store. 

Is that why some Sephora stores carry certain brands while others don't?  For example, the Sephora near me DOES NOT carry Stila, yet one just a short subway stop away does (I have a feeling it has to do with the store's proximity to two Shoppers Drug Mart stores and there could be an exclusivity contract.  Said Shoppers stores don't carry Bobbi Brown, while Sephora and Holt Renfrew do).  

Ulta's has a new "Diamond" level membership, & I think they've lost their minds. Look at the difference in the levels. Diamond level requires $750.00 dollars MORE than Platinum, & the only benefits are a quarter point more on purchases, free shipping on orders over $25, and an annual $25.00 card for beauty services. How do they think that's worth an extra $750.00/year?

x9d95hX.jpg

I know. I think it's idiotic too. 

In other news my friend got one and then I watched the videos of other unboxings and the XL unboxings of Beautylish Lucky Bags & Lucky Bag XL. ? Basically the value is twice what you pay. 

I am intrigued by beautylish since the service is supposed to be amazing and superior to Sephora and they carry a lot of different brands and artist stuff. Also they have payment option in installments which is why people get their Natasha Denona/viseart/Charlotte Tilbury ect there. They could get an expensive pallete immediately and just pay a 1/4 a month.  

I am massively peeved that Sephora has changed the Rouge free two-day shipping to three-day shipping. I ordered a bunch of stuff last Friday and still haven't received it. Am going to check out Beautylish now. Grrrrr.