Type keyword(s) to search

Everyone's Talkin': Industry News

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Giant Misfit said:

I am massively peeved that Sephora has changed the Rouge free two-day shipping to three-day shipping. I ordered a bunch of stuff last Friday and still haven't received it. Am going to check out Beautylish now. Grrrrr. 

They did? Did they announce it somewhere, or are they being shady about it?

44 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

They did? Did they announce it somewhere, or are they being shady about it?

They must be trying to be shady about because I don't remember receiving an email telling me it changed. I went to check out last Friday and VOILA! "3-day free shipping." 

ETA: Here's a screenshot from the bottom of my current basket:

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 4.30.17 PM.png

I just went through checkout and it stilled showed 2 day shipping option. But, I didn’t actually check out so maybe that’s where it changes. Delivery problems started at the Nov. sale and continued through the holidays. I wonder if that’s behind the change; they just can’t keep up. Honestly, I don’t think the rewards for being Rouge are all that, especially if they’ve gone to 3-day shipping. I don’t care about most of the rewards, and the ones I am interested in always sell out before I can get them. I prefer Ulta’s cash back, plus I can get most of what I want at Ulta. I find I’m buying more there than at Sephora these days.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

I just went through checkout and it stilled showed 2 day shipping option. But, I didn’t actually check out so maybe that’s where it changes.

I've emailed them to see what the policy actually is now. It's possible they're doling out free two-day to some Rouge customers and three-day shipping to others? I don't know. 

I'd sure love to know what's going on with them. I have never waited so long for a delivery as I have in the past week. Even at Christmas and during the 20% off sale, I never waited this long. If it continues though, I'm going elsewhere. I can get my stuff from Bloomingdales in two days—and that's with free shipping (provided it's an order over $50.) The only problem is the Kat Von D foundation I use on a daily basis, and frankly, will wait until the 20% off sale since I only buy it a few times a year anyway. 

1 hour ago, Petunia13 said:

The Tarte thing continues to be a big deal. It's good people are speaking out. But in all honesty Tarte has never had a shade that matched me. 

It’s ridiculous that their shade selection was so limited and I’m glad they are getting flack for it. I hope it pushes Tarte to offer more shades on all of their projects. I love their Amazonian clay foundation and was looking forward to trying shape tape but I’m going to wait for them to really address this. 

• Love 2

@PRgal I remember those old Benefit palettes one was called "beach blonde" or something and another had the name "bombshell" in it and they were sooo useful and cute! The lipstories shade "oui" is super pretty (tarababyz bought and swatched it...if you ever have time watch her videos of her makeup collection. These were taped like a decade ago when her collecting was much smaller. Even then she owned hundreds of palettes and several thousand lipsticks) 

10 hours ago, PRgal said:

I really want to get Sephora's #lipstories lipsticks, but I feel like I'm too old (38)!  They're cutesy and remind me of TheBalm products or old school Benefit skincare items (before they became brow-focused). 

Oohh, those are pretty! I think I would stick to the nude, pink, and red end, though. Yeah, I think I'd feel too old for the more fun colors. 

Just what I need. More lipsticks!! 

I've been wanting one of the lipstories lipsticks! And I've been wanting one of the new Stella glitter eyeshadows but they're sold out in the Sephora store near my house. I wanted to buy in-store so I could get the points for my Play pass, but I may just have to break down and order online. 

@callie lee 29, you're never too old for fun makeup colors! I myself love metallics and sparkles. The new Cover FX shimmer veil eyeshadows are soooo pretty.

So there was a bit of an internet kerfuffle today over skincare. 

First there was this article: The skincare con

And that led to a lot of people going, wtf. We love skincare, we need skincare, why shame us for it?

The article inspired this rebuttal: Skincare is Good and Also Works

Personally I LOVE skincare. I love good products that make my face look brighter, that make my hands softer, depuff the bags around my eyes.  Kiehl's, Glamglow, Drunk Elephant, OleHenrikssen. I love experimenting with new skincare brands, products like serums, toners, masks. It's part of why I keep my Sephora Play subscription around -- they send samples of really pricey skincare products that I like to try before shelling out full price for a full-size product.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Minneapple said:

So there was a bit of an internet kerfuffle today over skincare. 

First there was this article: The skincare con

And that led to a lot of people going, wtf. We love skincare, we need skincare, why shame us for it?

The article inspired this rebuttal: Skincare is Good and Also Works

Personally I LOVE skincare. I love good products that make my face look brighter, that make my hands softer, depuff the bags around my eyes.  Kiehl's, Glamglow, Drunk Elephant, OleHenrikssen. I love experimenting with new skincare brands, products like serums, toners, masks. It's part of why I keep my Sephora Play subscription around -- they send samples of really pricey skincare products that I like to try before shelling out full price for a full-size product.

Very interesting.  You can compare skin to other organs, but a couple of aspects they are both missing is that not only is the skin THE largest organ in our bodies it is the only one exposed to all the elements, and not just environmental elements like wind, dust, cold, chemicals placed in water (i.e. fluoride) etc, but also to fabrics like your clothes and your pillow cover.  Our skin has a lot to contend with given all the crap that is in the air currently, that weren't issues at all 100s to millions of years ago.  Granted when I looked up what the Korean skin care method was, I thought, and still think, it's a little extreme (a 10-step process, good lord!), but more power to those of us who have the time and resource committment necessary to achieve it because they do get beautiful results.  

On 1/31/2018 at 3:44 PM, luckyroll3 said:

Granted when I looked up what the Korean skin care method was, I thought, and still think, it's a little extreme (a 10-step process, good lord!), but more power to those of us who have the time and resource committment necessary to achieve it because they do get beautiful results.  

The 10-step process is largely marketing and an exaggeration. Most people in East Asia do not do 10 steps twice a day. 

There are benefits to the Asian skincare philosophy that has become popular in the West: higher hydration, emphasis on suncare, and in general, lighter products rather than one or two heavy ones.  I am Asian and have had that cultural philosophy longer than its been popular. The routines are more like templates and guidelines rather than a set rule. Even in Asia, a lot of people use a mix of Asian brands and Western brands so adding a couple of products can be beneficial to getting better skin.

I am biased and I also love skincare. It's a hobby of mine and all my products are usually under $30USD so you can achieve it and I don't have more than 5-7 steps in a routine. 

• Love 4

Viseart is coming out with a couple new palettes on the 23rd. One is is a new edition of Petit Pro. These shadows are fantastic, they literally blend themselves, and are handmade and hand pressed. 

Also Makeup Geek is coming to stores... I think they'll be carried at Ulta. These are really good shadows. If you like the Jaclyn Hill Palette or Mac they have a lot of dupes in their single shadows. They are good at foiled shadows, 

kat Von D came out with a Divine palette inspired by the John Waters actor Divine. She has an upcoming Lolita shadow palette that I assume is inspired by her Lolita shades. I'm getting REALLY sick of the red shadow trend. I have a lot of red undertone in my skin and red lips this shit just ain't for me. I copied tuts of red cut creases and I still look too monotone. 

• Love 1

I heard a rumor from someone it's going to roll out internationally but may be staggered. Mac's one of the worst offenders in being cruelty free (I'm not going to pretend I'm 100% perfect w this, it only just occurred to me the ibuprofen I take has been tested on animals) so I'm not gonna buy any Mac. .

i heard ulta may have surpassed Sephora in profits and growth this year, might be why Sephora is stepping up. They could stand to do more in the keeping things in stock stakes and transparency. 

Hello All!

I haven’t been around in a while and hope that this thread is the best place for my question.  I would like to purchase an item from Ulta dot com in the near future.  They are having special deals on hair products this month.  There is a calendar.  Does the deal ONLY work on the specific calendar day?  If so, can I put the items in my shopping cart now and then wait for that day to finalize the transaction?  Do they tend to run out of products?

Thanks!

Well, gosh!

https://www.allure.com/story/deciem-the-ordinary-temporary-shutdown?mbid=nl_100818_blast&CNDID=29888294&spMailingID=14395961&spUserID=MTMzMTM0NzE0NDAyS0&spJobID=1500656397&spReportId=MTUwMDY1NjM5NwS2

“This is the final post of Deciem. We will shut down all operation until further notice, which is about two months,” Truaxe says in the video, before asking viewers to take him seriously. He also goes on to allege that "almost everyone at Deciem has been involved in major criminal activity."

11 hours ago, SCS said:

Truaxe has threatened to leave and close the company before. He seems to be mentally unstable and ill. A lot of people started boycotting Deciem when he took over the Instagram to post rude comments to customers or just act very strangely. There are many reports from current and former employees about the toxic work environment at the company. The products can be good and he has other investors so I'm doubtful they will allow the company to implode completely. However, there are dupes for some of the products if worse comes to worse. He needs help for his mental health but not sure how or when that is going to happen.

• Love 2
On 10/9/2018 at 6:03 AM, Athena said:

Truaxe has threatened to leave and close the company before. He seems to be mentally unstable and ill. A lot of people started boycotting Deciem when he took over the Instagram to post rude comments to customers or just act very strangely. There are many reports from current and former employees about the toxic work environment at the company. The products can be good and he has other investors so I'm doubtful they will allow the company to implode completely. However, there are dupes for some of the products if worse comes to worse. He needs help for his mental health but not sure how or when that is going to happen.

Don't know what will come to him personally, but at least for the time being, he's out, and Deciem's still in business.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, caitmcg said:

Don't know what will come to him personally, but at least for the time being, he's out, and Deciem's still in business.

Yes, I've been tracking the news. This is for the best and I had a feeling that Estee Lauder would step in and they have. Since this is an injunction, it only temporarily removes him from the board. He is probably still the majority shareholder so he will likely appeal and go to trial. Truaxe was ousted from another skincare company Indeed Labs a few years ago; he created Deciem as a reaction. They settled out of court and likely bought out his shares. If Truaxe is fit to engage in the legal battle in the future, there is a good chance he'll lose the battle and settle again.

• Love 2
On 10/16/2018 at 8:59 PM, Cupid Stunt said:

Almost every review I've seen on myriad types of products lately is fake or ones that they mention products were free. I've only reviewed a handful of products over a couple years and actually put thought into the posts while having some brevity. If I recall a couple bad ones have mysteriously been deleted or buried. I don't bother anyone with a once helpful system. I remember I got a foundation as a gift for someone in the spring or early summer that was horrible and had glowing gushing reviews, and I had a patchy eyeshadow palette that won raves. 

Thanks heavens for this forum and certain youtubers for candor! 

The thing with makeup and skincare is that everyone's skin is different, so people will react differently to the same product. In this case, reviews are a little bit useless. Sunday Riley is expensive so before anything, go to Sephora and ask them to make a sample of the product for you to try. 

On 11/12/2018 at 8:14 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

Chairman, and CEO, out at cosmetics maker Coty

Brand list of Coty, Inc. products -- 

Bourjois

Clairol

CoverGirl

ghd

Max Factor

OPI

Rimmel

Sally Hansen

Wella

I wonder if they will revamp their lines and images. TBH of drugstore brands the only ones people actively chase and have buzz are Wet n Wild, Milani, Jordanna and Essence. Of beauty influencer or makeup fiend really gravitates to Wet n Wild and Milani they both have such high quality for the price and often have dupes for other lines. 

Now that Cover Girl is cruelty free I'm quite excited but have to admit many of the products are Snoresville. 

L'Oreal is suing Drunk Elephant for Patent Infringement L'Oreal owns Skinceuticals which developed the well formulated Vitamin C with Ferulic Acid. A lot of small companies have copied this formulation and there are DIY recipes to mimic it as well, but DE's C-Firma is half the price and uses a similar formulation. L'Oreal probably considers the C-Firma as the biggest competitor in the category and will make an example of it.

• Love 1

I decided to stock up on sheet masks early with Sephora's 20% off online sale and avoid the mad black Friday rush where they will inevitably screw orders up.

Sigh. Of course they still screwed something up,  they forgot my free samples. Why is Sephora's fulfillment process always such a mess?

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Petunia13 said:

@Athena Why am I siding w Drunk Elephant instead of L'Oréal.  

I am not a big fan of Drunk Elephant, but I understand your sentiment. L'Oréal should have made a cheaper alternative to the Skinceuticals one and I'm surprised they haven't. At around $166USD, the CE Ferulic was too prohibitive for most markets. In this day and age, they should have created something < $100 to be more competitive. They have done so for other products before.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, emma675 said:

I decided to stock up on sheet masks early with Sephora's 20% off online sale and avoid the mad black Friday rush where they will inevitably screw orders up.

Sigh. Of course they still screwed something up,  they forgot my free samples. Why is Sephora's fulfillment process always such a mess?

It's gotten bad. That and the sell outs of ANYTHING desirable when sales hit. 

I hate to mention this but I had a bad experience at Ulta recently so I don't fancy going there as an alternative anymore. 

• Love 1

As a VIB, it was the usual case of a lot of what I wanted was sold out. I did order a few things - skincare and a couple of lipsticks (one of the new Dior ones and a Pat McGrath blitztrance). My package came FedEx instead of the usual Canada Post (rotating strikes).

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Athena said:

I am not a big fan of Drunk Elephant, but I understand your sentiment. L'Oréal should have made a cheaper alternative to the Skinceuticals one and I'm surprised they haven't. At around $166USD, the CE Ferulic was too prohibitive for most markets. In this day and age, they should have created something < $100 to be more competitive. They have done so for other products before.

It's all about the money.

CE Ferulic retails for $166 an ounce, while C-Firma sells for $80 per ounce -- Nothing to sneeze at.

Nufountain C20, Ordinary ferulic acid serum and ascorbic acid serum, Stratia C+C serum, Paula’s Choice serum, Kiehl's, Mad Hippie, Seoul Ceuticals, Maelove Glow Maker, Timeless CE Ferulic are all affordable brand options.

Many people are put off by the smell, short shelf life, or their reaction (itchy, reddening, no effect at all). Copper peptide serum/lotion has been more effect for me than any Ferulic secret sauce glow. 

Brandon Truaxe, the controversial founder of the skin care company Deciem, has died

"According to a report in Canada’s National Post, “it is understood he fell from a condominium building near Toronto’s downtown.” Riyadh Sweedan, a Deciem employee who also said he lived with Truaxe and had been his boyfriend, told the paper, “I don’t think he jumped. I think he fell.” A spokesperson for the Toronto Police Service would not confirm to Vox any information about the incident, beyond that they had been called to Truaxe’s neighborhood of the Distillery District and found no evidence of criminal activity."

On 1/22/2019 at 9:44 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

Brandon Truaxe, the controversial founder of the skin care company Deciem, has died

"According to a report in Canada’s National Post, “it is understood he fell from a condominium building near Toronto’s downtown.” Riyadh Sweedan, a Deciem employee who also said he lived with Truaxe and had been his boyfriend, told the paper, “I don’t think he jumped. I think he fell.” A spokesperson for the Toronto Police Service would not confirm to Vox any information about the incident, beyond that they had been called to Truaxe’s neighborhood of the Distillery District and found no evidence of criminal activity."

Holy crap. How sad. RIP.

• Love 1
On 2/1/2019 at 11:28 AM, Cupid Stunt said:

Glossier gets press when they expand their shades, but no one (or few) give(s) a hoot whether Asian brands do or not.  I suppose the latter = "we're catering to our local clientele, even if we're available internationally"? #justsayin  I HAVE, however noticed, that Amore Pacific has darker compacts now.  But it's "dark" by East Asian standards (i.e. medium brown).

As for Lady Gaga's new line:  Will it be really weird?  Or will she be grown-up like Rhianna (I thought HER line was going to be odd/out there (a la Kat von D) as well and she really surprised me)?