Type keyword(s) to search

Erica Goldberg: Cool Kid/Closet Nerd

• Start Topic

The oldest and most rebellious Goldberg kid.  Also the trendiest.  She loves partying, General Hospital, Whitesnake and off the shoulder shirts.  But Erica’s smart as hell, too -- a double threat.  She went from mathlete to miniskirts and showed up smoking hot junior year.  Erica can also kick your ass.  Especially if you’re one of her siblings.  She constantly battles with Barry, bickering over the phone line, pushing his buttons and delighting in his drop-of-a-hat emotional meltdowns.  Erica may be the most crass Goldberg, but she’s also sweet and protective when it comes to her baby bro, Adam.  In a lot of ways, she’s the one who’s been the real parent to him.  Erica may manipulate and beat up her younger brothers, but when push comes to shove, she looks out for them.

I love that the most recent episode (Wrestling/Star Wars) returned to the theme that Erica was a secret/former nerd.  It's character continuity and helps flesh out the one character on the show that doesn't have a real person behind it to flesh it out.

It worked on several levels.  First, it reminded us that Erica's popularity was in a way, artificial and maybe even a bit precarious.  Second, it gave us a new insight that the former mention of her past tendencies didn't--that it was the basis of her bond with Adam.  That they were, despite the differences in their age, gender and current circumstances, very much alike.  It was sweet.

• Love 1

I'll point out that Hayley Orrantia, a member of the erstwhile girl group Lakota Rayne, at this point may be the most successful former contestant from The X-Factor. She's certainly doing better than any of the winners.

• Love 1

I'll point out that Hayley Orrantia, a member of the erstwhile girl group Lakota Rayne, at this point may be the most successful former contestant from The X-Factor. She's certainly doing better than any of the winners.

Do we count success of a singing reality show when the person succeeds in a whole different field?

I'd say that's the "Jennifer Hudson" question, except her successful acting gig involved singing (they had Erica sing on one episode, but it was hardly crucial to her character).

• Love 1

Rather than ragging on it in every episode thread. I wanted to address the Erica/Geoff Schwartz in its entirety.

This arc feels like it's sucking the life out of one of my favorite sitcoms. It seems odd to me because both of the Adam/Dana and Barry/Lainey relationships felt really good and echoed a lot of what we've probably all experienced in our real lives. The friend who suddenly seems like something more, and the person who you may not have expected but seems to work for whatever reason.

I believe it was Season 1 where we had an emotional teenage Erica dealing with the misery of a break-up with the Eldest Kremp, a jock persona who certainly seemed to fit with the popular image Erica wished to portray. After that we got a long string of Erica developing a lot as a character with a bit of the freedom of not being as constrained by the other characters as tied to so closely to real people. But it was always her character independent of any romantic relationships. Then last year we started to get this pining from Geoff, and an examination of the potential chemistry between the two of them. There seemed to be this, "Hey, how should we get Erica into a relationship issue among the writers.

The worst part of this is how drawn out it has been. We're sacrificing other character development trying to create this situation that I think was meant to show growth and vulnerability in Erica. But has instead come off as this really unsympathetic sad sack character.

At least that's my take.

I searched @adamfgoldbergs's Twitter mentions for Erica, and evidently there are a large number of viewers who disagree with me, and think that the pairing of the two is the ultimate direction for the show. I guess if there are fans that do want it, there's a very real possibility that's what is going to play out. I just can't help but feel it's not going to be this explosively romantic reveal the writers and some fans seem to believe.

• Love 2

I just started watching Blackish and am enjoying Zoe, who is kind of my opinion of what Erica once was... cool, capable, confident.  Now Erica just feels awkward and desperate, and it doesn't help that she's in her 5th year of high school.  

Junior reminds me a lot of Barry, too.  

On 7/12/2014 at 11:24 PM, Kromm said:

Do we count success of a singing reality show when the person succeeds in a whole different field?

Maybe not, but in a way it is all the more impressive.  If your focus is in one area, and then you are able to achieve fame in a completely field?  Kind of shows you have "it", whatever "it" might be.

I'm curious about this:

In real life, there was no Erica Goldberg, there was a brother named Eric.  Did he drop out to pursue music and play in bands?  Or is that something that was just written in so Hayley could sing?

In other words, how much of the Erica character is based on Eric, other than the similarity in names (if at all)?

• Love 1
On 10/28/2016 at 12:17 PM, Guest said:

I just started watching Blackish and am enjoying Zoe, who is kind of my opinion of what Erica once was... cool, capable, confident.  Now Erica just feels awkward and desperate, and it doesn't help that she's in her 5th year of high school.  

Junior reminds me a lot of Barry, too.  

I would imagine that any person who had it all together in high school...but then proceeded to struggle/fail in the real world would have a great deal of insecurities. Some refer to it as the quarterlife crisis when you're in your 20's and don't have a real sense of direction...aka myself when I graduated from college during the recession and ended up working part time as a cashier. I'm sure that the show just wants to make it easier by having Erica at home. I just wish there wouldn't be as much singing. I do however enjoy all songs/music videos with Barry and Adam. Always get a good laugh out of those!

Edited by Tvshipper
  • Love 1
On 10/29/2014 at 9:18 PM, Mama No Life said:

There's something about her eyes that makes it almost impossible for me to focus on what she is saying.

I keep looking and looking and I can't figure out what is bugging me....

I feel the same, I think she's slighty cockeyed. Her eyes don't seem to focus on who or what she's looking at.

• Love 1
On 2/9/2019 at 8:02 AM, Mu Shu said:

I’ve only seen this show a few times, and I am confused.  Erica and her beachy wave hairstyle are current.  What decade is this? 

Not everyone follows trends. Looking back at old family photos I don't see any of the stereotypical giant hairstyles. In the same way, not everyone sported a mullet in the 90's. 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Tvshipper said:

Not everyone follows trends. Looking back at old family photos I don't see any of the stereotypical giant hairstyles. In the same way, not everyone sported a mullet in the 90's. 

Nah, her style is too current to be believable.  The hairstyle and coloring is pure post 2015.  

If she’s supposed to be trendy and popular, she would have embraced some 80s styles.  

Edited by Mu Shu
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Mu Shu said:

Nah, her style is too current to be believable.  The hairstyle and coloring is pure post 2015.  

Than my sister was 30 years ahead of time because her hair color is the same and has had basically that hairstyle since the 80s. 

• Love 6
On 2/12/2019 at 12:02 AM, Mu Shu said:

If she’s supposed to be trendy and popular, she would have embraced some 80s styles.  

Erica's hair and style always puts me in mind of Mallory Keaton on Family Ties. Her hair was never super '80s' like Jennifer's in later seasons. It was always a bit more preppy and wouldn't look terribly out of place now.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, AllyB said:

Erica's hair and style always puts me in mind of Mallory Keaton on Family Ties. Her hair was never super '80s' like Jennifer's in later seasons. It was always a bit more preppy and wouldn't look terribly out of place now.

Or Ione Skye in Say Anything, there have been a few episodes that look like they lifted it straight from there.

• Love 2

I just wanna know what's up with her eyes! They seem to look in two different directions and yeah its kinda unsettling for me..lol. Yet they keep saying that Adam has a lazy eye or eyes..his voice is crazy weird but Erica's eyes unnerve me!

Erica's hairstyle might be a bit cultural, too. When you guys point out movies that had actresses with similar styles then I can see how it's period acceptable. In real life, though, I didn't know anyone in MY life who didn't at least tease their bangs. People around here didn't start growing out their hair until around 1993. Before then, even with straight hair you always had those bangs teased to high heaven. But then, where I am from, we're always a little behind the times. 

• Love 2