Type keyword(s) to search

2018 Awards Season

• Start Topic

At some point, they just need to rename their movie categories "Best Motion Picture - Oscar-Bait Drama" and "Best Motion Picture - Everything Else."  That way, they can at least be honest about it.

• Love 11

It does sound like there was some debate as to whether or not the Globes would let Universal submit it as a comedy.  And the reason they did it was to increase its Oscar nomination chance. 

I think it should be "Serious Drama" vs. "Everything else" since movies with a significant amount of comedy, or singing, or even a romantic happy ending seems to get pushed into this category.  I think DelRay's character is probably what pushed it into comedy.  In addition to a cast and director known mostly for comedy.

Has there been any confirmation about whether Three Billboards is going to be comedy or drama? Because if it's the former, that category could actually be really strong this year between it, Get OutLady Bird, I, Tonya, and The Big Sick. Even without it, this looks to be the strongest comedy lineup in quite some time.

It would also mean there's a legitimate chance that Frances McDormand could again lose the Comedy Globe only to win the Oscar (she lost the Globe to Madonna in Evita the year she won the Oscar for Fargo). Even if she were to win the Oscar this year, I could totally see the Globes going for the hot, rising starlet in Margot Robbie instead, or perhaps Saoirse Ronan.

Edited by AshleyN

The Spirit awards aren't everything, but the one thing that probably should be taken away from these is that anyone still doubting Get Out as a serious contender should rethink things. I believe it's the only eligible contender to not have a major snub here: Call Me By Your Name missed Screenplay (and Supporting Actor for Michael Stuhlbarg, although Armie Hammer did get in), Lady Bird missed Director, Three Billboards missed Picture and Director, and perhaps most suprisingly The Shape of Water missed everything despite apparently being eligible.

Glenn Whipp of the Los Angeles Times has come out with his predictions for acting Oscar nominations

Lead Actor:

Daniel Day-Lewis, Phantom Thread

Gary Oldman, Darkest Hour

Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name

Jake Gyllenhaal, Stronger

Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq

On the Cusp:

James Franco, The Disaster Squad

Daniel Kaluuya, Get Out (Whipp says that Get Out will be likely to win a lot of awards in the upcoming season, which may boost Kaluuya's chances)

Andrew Garfield, Breathe

Lurking: Tom Hanks, The Post

Lead Actress

Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Saoirse Ronan, Lady Bird

Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water

Margot Robbie, I, Tonya

Judi Dench, Victoria & Abdul

On The Cusp:

Jessica Chastain, Molly's Game

Kate Winslet, Wonder Wheel

Nicole Kidman, The Beguiled

Emma Stone, Battle of the Sexes

Lurking:

Meryl Streep, The Post

Vicky Krieps, Phantom Thread

Supporting Actor:

Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project

Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Armie Hammer, Call Me By Your Name

Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me By Your Name (Everybody who's seen this film says that Stuhlbard, as the boy's father, gives a tour de force performance)

Richard Jenkins, The Shape of Water

On The Cusp:

Mark Rylance, Dunkirk

Ray Romano, The Big Sick

Jason Mitchell, Mudbound

Michael Shannon, The Shape of Water

Woody Harrelson, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Ben Mendelsohn, Darkest Hour

Supporting Actress

Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird

Holly Hunter, The Big Sick

Allison Janney, I, Tonya

Octavia Spencer, The Shape of Water

Mary J. Blige, Mudbound

On The Cusp:

Mellisa Leo, Novitiate

Hong Chau, Downsizing

Kristin Scott Thomas Darkest Hour

Michelle Pfeiffer, Mother!

Kirsten Dunst, The Beguiled

Lurking:

Lesley Manville, Phantom Thread

Carrie C***, The Beguiled

• Love 1
On 11/23/2017 at 2:30 PM, Silver Raven said:

Michael Stuhlbarg, Call Me By Your Name (Everybody who's seen this film says that Stuhlbard, as the boy's father, gives a tour de force performance)

I'd put good money on him winning.  I don't want to spoil anyone, but he has a scene towards the end of the movie that was just...it took my breath away.  

If the movie wins anything, he will, and James Ivory's screenplay will.  I would love it if Amira Casar, who plays the mother, sneaks into a Best Supporting nomination as well.

• Love 1
On 11/23/2017 at 3:30 PM, Silver Raven said:

Denzel Washington, Roman J. Israel, Esq

No way is Denzel in the top tier of contenders at this point.  That film has gotten pummeled as far as reviews go, many of them extending to saying that Denzel himself gives a rare bad performance.

Unrelatedly, I commented earlier in this thread that Darkest Hour probably had Best Makeup in the bag, but Wonder may just snatch that away.  The latter seems to be this year's surprise contender.

7 hours ago, starri said:

I'd put good money on him winning.  I don't want to spoil anyone, but he has a scene towards the end of the movie that was just...it took my breath away.  

If the movie wins anything, he will, and James Ivory's screenplay will.  I would love it if Amira Casar, who plays the mother, sneaks into a Best Supporting nomination as well.

Bugsy was the last movie that had two Supporting Actor nominees (though it's happened this decade in Supporting Actress). Stuhlbarg faces internal competition with Hammer, who has a bigger role in the movie and is sure to be more "visible" during the season (the HFPA members are apparently on his Christmas card list).   I wouldn't be totally surprised to get a repeat of what happened last year with Aaron Taylor-Johnson vs. Michael Shannon with Nocturnal Animals—the former won the Golden Globe but got snubbed Oscar morning in favor of his co-star in the same category.

Edited by Dejana

Interesting that we're almost into December and not only does there not seem to be a real frontrunner for Best Picture yet, there are still a solid six to seven films still in the race. I was leaning toward Three Billboards, but there already seems to be a bit of a backlash brewing there, a backlash which is bound to get a lot louder should it start to win major awards. And as we've seen in recent years, a big part of winning Best Picture these days is being able to avoid, or at least navigate, a backlash. Otherwise, I think any of Dunkirk, Get Out, Lady Bird, The Post, Call Me By Your Name, and maybe The Shape of Water (the buzz for this seems to have cooled off since it won Venice, but it could heat up again once it actually opens in the US) have a shot at it.

The critics start handing out their awards this week too. I feel like Call Me By Your Name will probably take the lion's share of them, but the critics and the industry are pretty often split on what films they like best. I am interested to see which actress they throw their weight behind, since that category is so competitive this year.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 2

I'm not going to be surprised if The Last Jedi or Wonder Woman score BP noms.

I don't expect either to win, mind.  But in a really rough box office year, I can see the Academy giving two unqualified successes some love.  Particularly if TLJ is as good as the strategic moves LucasFilm has made suggest it is.

1 hour ago, starri said:

I'm not going to be surprised if The Last Jedi or Wonder Woman score BP noms.

I don't expect either to win, mind.  But in a really rough box office year, I can see the Academy giving two unqualified successes some love.  Particularly if TLJ is as good as the strategic moves LucasFilm has made suggest it is.

Well, they do already have Dunkirk, which made more than any of last year's nominees, and Get Out, which along with Wonder Woman is basically the box office story of the year, as very likely nominees. And while they seem to have become a little more receptive to genre films lately, I'm not sure I see them jumping on the franchise bandwagon just yet. I guess they did nominate Mad Max a couple of years ago, but that was one of the year's critical darlings and felt much more like the singular vision of a particular artist than your usual blockbuster franchise film. So maybe if Rian Johnson does something really special with The Last Jedi, but I still think it's unlikely.

Edited by AshleyN
5 hours ago, AshleyN said:

I feel like Call Me By Your Name will probably take the lion's share of them, but the critics and the industry are pretty often split on what films they like best.

Possibly.  CMBYN has managed to sustain a 10-month run as a critical favorite which is pretty remarkable but I could see some newer titles push forward like Lady Bird, which has a perfect 100% rating. 

30 minutes ago, AshleyN said:

Well, they do already have Dunkirk, which made more than any of last year's nominees, and Get Out, which along with Wonder Woman is basically the box office story of the year, as very likely nominees.

And Steven Spielberg's The Post has yet to come out.  While there aren't any official reviews out yet, the belief is that it's going to be in the conversation and I could see this making money given its relevance and star power.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

And Steven Spielberg's The Post has yet to come out.  While there aren't any official reviews out yet, the belief is that it's going to be in the conversation and I could see this making money given its relevance and star power.

A bunch of critics started tweeting about it last night/today and praised it to the skies.  I expect it'll be a big player.

Justice League will probably kibosh the already-slim chance of Wonder Woman getting any substantial nominations.

• Love 1

National Board of Review:

Picture - The Post

Director - Greta Gerwig (Lady Bird)

Actor - Tom Hanks (The Post)

Actress - Meryl Streep (The Post)

Supporting Actor - Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project)

Supporting Actress - Laurie Metcalf (Lady Bird)

Original Screenplay - Phantom Thread

Adapted Screenplay - The Disaster Artist

Foreign Language Film - Foxtrot (Israel)

Animated Film - Coco

Documentary Film - Jane

In terms of awards without direct Oscar counterparts, Jordan Peele got a directorial debut award (seems like he and Gerwig are destined to duke it out for that equivalent at the DGA) and Get Out also collected Best Ensemble (we'll see if they can manage the same feat at SAG).  Call Me By Your Name was recognized in the form of a Breakthrough Performance award for Chalamet.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, starri said:

I think what The Post has going for it is that the Academy loves movies about journalism second only to movies about movies.

More than that, it just fits very nicely into the narrative of the country at this moment. There was even a report today that the Post caught someone red handed trying to peddle a fake news story trying to damage the paper's and the media at large's reputation. It couldn't be more timely.

Edited by vb68
  • Love 3

Since we're posting winners here, the Gotham Awards were held last night.  Apparently they're like the Independent Spirit Awards for the East Coast.

Best Feature: Call Me By Your Name

Best Documentary: Strong Island

Breakthrough Director: Jordan Peele for Get Out

Best Screenplay: Jordan Peele Get Out

Best Actor: James Franco The Disaster Artist

Best Actress:  Saoirse Ronan Ladybird

Breakthrough Actor:  Timothee Chalamet Call Me By Your Name

Breakthrough Series (Long Form): Atlanta

Breakthrough Series (Short Form): The Strange Eyes of Dr. Myes

Audience Award:  Get Out

Mudbound won some kind of ensemble award which isn't included here because I believe it was pre-announced.

• Love 1
On 11/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, SeanC said:

National Board of Review:

In terms of awards without direct Oscar counterparts, Jordan Peele got a directorial debut award (seems like he and Gerwig are destined to duke it out for that equivalent at the DGA) and Get Out also collected Best Ensemble (we'll see if they can manage the same feat at SAG).  Call Me By Your Name was recognized in the form of a Breakthrough Performance award for Chalamet.

Both Three Billboards and The Shape of Water missed the top ten (eleven really) here, which seems notable. On the other hand, Baby Driver is fun surprise. I doubt it'll make too many Best Picture lineups, but it's nice when groups look beyond the usual narrow group of official Oscar Buzz films.

Edited by AshleyN

New York Film Critics Circle:

Picture:  Lady Bird

Director:  Sean Baker (The Florida Project)

Actor:  Timothee Chalamet (Call Me By Your Name)

Actress:  Saoirse Ronan (Lady Bird)

Supporting Actor:  Willem Dafoe (The Florida Project)

Supporting Actress:  Tiffany Haddish (Girls Trip)

Screenplay:  Phantom Thread

Cinematography:  Mudbound

Animated Film:  Coco

Non-Fiction Film:  Faces Places

Foreign Language Film:  BPM (Beats Per Minute) (France)

Peele collects another debut directing award.

Haddish may end up being the last, best hope to get at least one non-white acting nominee, unless the Academy suddenly discovers a willingness to accept Netflix as their Lord and Saviour.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

Haddish may end up being the last, best hope to get at least one non-white acting nominee, unless the Academy suddenly discovers a willingness to accept Netflix as their Lord and Saviour.

Daniel Kaluuya has hit Best Actor with a few precursors, and Get Out is a strong Best Picture contender, so I think he has a chance. Two Best Actor nominees under 30 (along with Chalamet) does seem like a long shot but the Academy is changing...

I really loved Lady Bird, so it's neat to see all three of it's main ladies receive recognition. I do wonder, with it having such a surge recently (including all the publicity over the Rotten Tomatoes record) that we're soon going to see people turn on it. The fact that it's a very small-scale, decidedly female story, without any huge focus on "important" themes* makes me think that there are going to be at least some people who dismiss it as too slight/too trivial.

On the other hand, if ever there was a year where a film about women, written and directed by a woman, was at an advantage, you would think it would be this year.

*Though I personally really liked how it dealt with issues of class and economic insecurity.

On 11/30/2017 at 6:47 PM, SeanC said:

Yeah, this year looks really thin in that regard, especially with Detroit and Roman Israel flopping. I do agree with Dejana that Daniel Kaluuya has a real chance though -- people love his movie and Best Actor isn't a particularly strong category this year.

Edited by AshleyN
  • Love 1

It would seem that Willem Dafoe is going to steamroll his way to the Supporting Actor Oscar.  I don't want to get my hopes up too much that Saoirse Ronan might win Best Actress, but she certainly has a good shot at it at this point in time.  I imagine Supporting Actress will be between Laurie Metcalf and Allison Janney; when I vote for the SAG awards, if those are my top two, I'll probably vote for Metcalf because she had, in my opinion, the harder roll to play.  If Hong Chau is somehow nominated, though, I might vote for her as she was phenomenal.  I don't think there's any way someone as young as Timothée Chalamet can win Best Actor, but here's hoping!  Just...ANYONE other than Daniel Day-Lewis would be tolerable, although The Darkest Hour looks like a chore to watch.  It would be awesome if Lady Bird could really become a possible Best Picture winner, but I fear The Post might become the frontrunner because it is A Very Important Film Right Now...and also looks like a total chore to get through, if the trailer is any indication.

On 11/30/2017 at 8:49 PM, Dejana said:

Daniel Kaluuya has hit Best Actor with a few precursors, and Get Out is a strong Best Picture contender, so I think he has a chance. Two Best Actor nominees under 30 (along with Chalamet) does seem like a long shot but the Academy is changing...

Yeah, Kaluuya has a chance, I'm just not sure at this point that there's a head of steam coming there.  It feels like all the conversation around Get Out has become about Jordan Peele.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, starri said:

I think people have mentioned Octavia Spencer getting a third nomination for The Shape of Water.

I agree. I think she's a very likely nominee.

12 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

It would seem that Willem Dafoe is going to steamroll his way to the Supporting Actor Oscar. 

I'm hoping Sam Rockwell comes into play there. He's one of my favorites, and has been overlooked for years and years.

12 hours ago, NUguy514 said:

but I fear The Post might become the frontrunner because it is A Very Important Film Right Now...and also looks like a total chore to get through, if the trailer is any indication.

I strongly disagree there. The trailer was anything but a chore for me. 

Edited by vb68
  • Love 1

So far I've seen Three Billboards and Lady Bird. I'm definitely rooting for Frances McDormand, Sam Rockwell, and Laurie Metcalf.

This year looks like it's going to be much, much stronger than 2016 was, especially in regards to Best Actress.

I think might watch the Florida Project, even though I know the subject is going to be depressing as hell.

On 11/26/2017 at 5:50 PM, SeanC said:

No way is Denzel in the top tier of contenders at this point.  That film has gotten pummeled as far as reviews go, many of them extending to saying that Denzel himself gives a rare bad performance.

There is a lot of concern about there being few nominees of color in the final nominations, Denzel may just sneak in there.

I'd love to see Haddish get in.  Best actress is looking like a taugh category to crack but outside of Metcalf and Janney in the supporting category, it seems like there's room for a non-Oscar-baitey role.  

Los Angeles Film Critics:

Picture:  Call Me By Your Name (runner-up:  The Florida Project)

Director:  Guillermo Del Toro (The Shape of Water) & Luca Guadagnino (Call Me By Your Name)

Actor:   Timothee Chalamet, Call Me By Your Name (runner-up:  James Franco, The Disaster Artist)

Actress:  Sally Hawkins, The Shape of Water (runner-up:  Frances McDormand, Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri)

Supporting Actor:  Willem Dafoe, The Florida Project (runner-up:  Sam Rockwell, Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri)

Supporting Actress:  Laurie Metcalf, Lady Bird (runner-up:  Mary J. Blige, Mudbound)

Screenplay:  Get Out (runner-up:  Three Billboards Outside of Ebbing, Missouri)

Editing:  Dunkirk (runner-up:  I, Tonya)

Cinematography:  The Shape of Water (runner-up:  Blade Runner 2049)

Score/Music:  Phantom Thread (runner-up:  The Shape of Water)

Production Design:  Blade Runner 2049 (runner-up:  The Shape of Water)

Documentary Film:  Faces Places (runner-up:  Jane)

Foreign Film:  BPM (Beats Per Minute) & Loveless

Animated Film:  The Breadwinner (runner-up:  Coco)

The Shape of Water finally gets a boost, after missing earlier groups.  Three Billboards proves a perennial bridesmaid.

Increasingly looking like Dafoe might just cruise through the entire season.

(edited)

The critics aren't AMPAS but Chalamet is doing so well with the Best Actor notices: could he actually win the Oscar? The stats are against very much against it, but I feel like Oldman as Winston Churchill might end up being one of those winning projects on paper that doesn't entirely pan out in real life. It's not a critical flop but comparable movies like Lincoln and The King's Speech were much better received overall (in reviews and box office). The televised awards often play out differently, but even there, Oldman is not a fan of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association (those aren't his only anti-Golden Globes comments of record).  If they award someone else, it could set the tone for the rest of the season.  If The Disaster Artist does well beyond limited release, maybe James Franco? He's probably going to win Best Actor - Comedy, he directed the movie, too, and he's more in the age range of a typical Best Actor winner.  It's almost equally wild to predict anyone winning an Oscar for playing Tommy Wiseau, though.

Three Billboards is facing a bit of controversy due to its racial politics, at least in the thinkpiece realm. Sometimes Twitter backlashes can hurt in an awards race, sometimes they don't move beyond social media.

A few days ago, I saw a couple of Oscar pundits have a Twitter exchange about Nolan not campaigning much, alluding to a possible snub. Sometimes pundits just get bored and overthink things or like to start controversies for clicks, but they do have connections.

Edited by Dejana
6 hours ago, Dejana said:

The critics aren't AMPAS but Chalamet is doing so well with the Best Actor notices: could he actually win the Oscar?

He'll probably have to win SAG or the Golden Globes to stand a chance.  He's hot right now but the narrative could switch back to Oldman the closer we get to the televised awards.  I'm curious about the Globes since Oldman has apparently said some negative stuff about them in the past.  Will it be bygones or will they give it to him anyway?

It's just the Oscars seem to have a bias against young men in a way they don't with young women.  And when you compare it with the "overdue" narrative of Oldman whose performance really does have good reviews, he's still probably comfortably ahead. 

I do think it'll depend on how hot Call Me By Your Name gets down the stretch. Darkest Hour is kind of a safe film. 

The longlist of contenders for the VFX Oscar:

Alien: Covenant
Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Ghost in the Shell
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
Justice League
Kong: Skull Island
Life
Logan
Okja
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales
The Shape of Water
Spider-Man Homecoming
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
Thor: Ragnarok
Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets
War for the Planet of the Apes
Wonder Woman

How did Justice League get there (or Wonder Woman, to be honest)?  My guesses:

Beauty and the Beast
Blade Runner 2049
Dunkirk
Star Wars: The Last Jedi
War for the Planet of the Apes

• Love 1

This is about the point in awards season where the top-tier contenders need to start developing a "narrative" for why their film is important (and "it's a really good film" isn't enough, since the films that have made it to this stage are presumed to all be really good films, YMMV).  I know there's been a lot of discussion, in particular, when in the Trump era films are going to need some kind of explicitly political narrative, as well, given that "give Trump the middle finger" is clearly a strong sentiment in Hollywood right now (see, e.g., that Special Oscar that the Academy Board of Governors conjured up out of nowhere for Alejandro Inarritu's border crossing art piece).  At a minimum, arguing that you speak to the Serious Issues Of Today never hurts.

This is probably Get Out's strongest card in terms of countering the Academy's tendency toward genre pigeonholing, since its critique of more veiled forms racism is extremely timely.  And it made a ton of money, which Hollywood always respects.

The Post is probably the most explicitly political vehicle in contention, being about journalists going up against a corrupt Republican president.  Easy narrative there, as well.

Three Billboards also has a lot of topical subject matter about gendered violence, policing, etc., though I understand that there's now some critique of the film along those lines (I haven't seen it, so I can't comment as yet).

For Call Me By Your Name, gay issues are certainly not losing their political relevance, but I suspect that since Moonlight won last year this won't be as strong a narrative as it otherwise might have been.

Lady Bird has a bit of a problem in this area, which is especially as an issue since I expect it's the kind of film (based, again, on initial reactions; I won't get to see it until this Friday) that will get tagged with questions about whether it's Important enough to win Best Picture.  I think their best bet is to go for some kind of "year of women" narrative, since it's a female-centric coming of age story from a female director, and there hasn't been a woman-centric Best Picture winner since 2004.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, SeanC said:

Lady Bird has a bit of a problem in this area, which is especially as an issue since I expect it's the kind of film (based, again, on initial reactions; I won't get to see it until this Friday) that will get tagged with questions about whether it's Important enough to win Best Picture.  I think their best bet is to go for some kind of "year of women" narrative, since it's a female-centric coming of age story from a female director, and there hasn't been a woman-centric Best Picture winner since 2004.

I don't know, in the midst of all of these sexual harassment scandals a female centric film like Lady Bird could really get a boost. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, JustaPerson said:

I don't know, in the midst of all of these sexual harassment scandals a female centric film like Lady Bird could really get a boost. 

That’s what I mean.  It’s not necessarily the most obvious association since it’s not directly related to the film’s subject matter, but they could try and make it happen.

• Love 1

From what I understand The Post is largely about Kay Graham finding her voice.  It would be nice to see a movie written and directed by a woman and about a young woman win but The Post does double duty in both taking on a president and woman empowerment.

• Love 1

The American Film Institute has put out their top ten:

The Big Sick
Call Me by Your Name
Dunkirk
The Florida Project
Get Out
Lady Bird
The Post
The Shape of Water
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri
Wonder Woman 

Pretty much all the main contenders, with Wonder Woman being a somewhat surprising entry.  Only real snub I guess is The Disaster Artist, while Darkest Hour wasn't in contention since it is a British production.

In other news, these films are finally getting into my area, so hopefully I cant start watching them and forming my opinions soon!

Finally saw the Disaster Artist. It was hilarious, and I hope Franco gets a nomination. I'd say he has a really good shot, honestly. He's been nominated before, he's playing in a bio pic, he transformed his good looks to play said character, and most importantly, he's playing a Hollywood story. It would be cool to see a comedy get the big actor award, honestly.

Haven't seen Call Me By Your Name yet, but I'm glad that they're not trying to pull that "Oh, they're just a supporting character" bullshit with Timothee that they did with Timothy Hutton for Ordinary People. Still one of the blatant cases of category fraud I've seen. History pretty much says that Timothee doesn't stand a shot in hell because of his age, but eh, we'll see what happens.

• Love 1