Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Do No Harm

Jordan (Jill Flint) and Cain (Mark Consuelos) figure out their professional dynamic as they work on a patient with extreme injuries from an oil field explosion. Drew (Brendan Fehr) and Paul (Robert Bailey Jr.) receive a patient from the same accident, and must figure out a solution to save the patient's severed hand. Scott (Scott Wolf) is caught off guard when Annie (guest star Sarah Jane Morris) shows up to the hospital with an unexpected guest from his past. Kenny (JR Lemon) and Shannon (Tanaya Beatty) struggle to adjust to their new living situation. Meanwhile, TC (Eoin Macken) and Amira (guest star Rana Roy) clash over treating a Syrian child on the American base.

Promo:

Did Annie just kill herself?  I thought she was in a better place.

I know that attaching the hand to the leg is one of the miracles of modern science but I never need to see that again.

Isn't there an environmental agency that monitors water quality in the US?

So TC has three women (Jordan, Annie and Amira) all wanting him?  What is it about him?

Syria is complicated.  ( I think the answer to a question on the 4x03 episode thread is that Amira wears her hijab when can been seen by Muslim men but not among women or Americans.)

• Love 1

WTH!  Now Scott, TC and Jordan will spend all season blaming themselves for Annie.  Blech.  And bring TC home, the Syria plot is dreary.  The new doctor/not a nurse is not Topher.  What happened to this show?

• Love 3
8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Did Annie just kill herself?  I thought she was in a better place.

I think we were meant to think she was in a better place, when really she was just saying her good-byes. Suicidal people frequently seem fine/ "better" once they've made the decision to take their own lives. This was actually pretty well played in terms of making us as the audience feel as shocked as Scott, Jordyn, etc. are going to feel next week. But ending back to back episodes with deaths of established characters felt like an odd choice for a realistic show (and now I'm laughing at myself for calling The Night Shift "realistic," but you know what I mean... it's not Game of Thrones).

8 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Syria is complicated.  ( I think the answer to a question on the 4x03 episode thread is that Amira wears her hijab when can been seen by Muslim men but not among women or Americans.)

That was me who brought it up previously... And I get that, but I still think it's hilarious that Amira's first action upon meeting TC (when she was still outside, with who knows who looking on), was to take off her hijab and shake her hair out.

I had hope for her when she called him insufferable, but that was extinguished ten seconds later when she wanted him to stay and made heart eyes at him... sigh.

• Love 3

Wasn't T. C a soldier??... Wouldn't he have hated to go on a mission based on faulty info??  Just once I'd like a TV show to show the consequences of a bullheaded american "doing what's right "

• Love 4

I fell asleep and missed this entire episode, but reading here, I'm glad I did. I don't like the Syria story line and I don't like TC. I just don't see what the appeal is about TC, is dirty, mean, scraggly, rude, I-never-wash-or-shave the new hot look and personality to make doctors popular -- or men in general? I just don't get it. But I did enjoy my long sleep last night, so there's that.

• Love 6

I still don't like Shannon, although she did surprise the hell out of me by smiling last night.  I think the actress is just awful.

I also don't give a crap that Annie took a flying leap.

• Love 1

I do wonder if they find out about Annie next week. She told Scott she was going to do the PCT which is generally 4 or 5 month hike, so it's not like they would think she was missing. She has rocks in her backpack so the body will probably not be found for a while. I have a feeling the discovery will be later for more dramatic effect. 

Water quality regulation is only as good as the monitoring in place. It sounded like the company was using an unregulated (and thus untested well) for their employees. And the cynic in me doesn't even trust that the public news scandal would even hurt an oil company that much. 

Since Flint still has bad water, and when The Daily Show, broadcast nationally, looked at the town in Texas nothing happened to clean up their toxic water, I doubt a public scandal is going to make much difference.

14 hours ago, UNOSEZ said:

Wasn't T. C a soldier??... Wouldn't he have hated to go on a mission based on faulty info?? 

It bothers me that the base refused to allow TC and Amira to save the boy's life unless his mother gave them enough "worthwhile".  When did we become that society?

Hey TC:  "Volvulus" is pronounced "VOL-view-luss" not "Vol-vus."

I was so close to praising the show for Scott, Jordan, and Annie acting like actual adults, and then the last scene happened.

And yet, I was still thoroughly entertained.

12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I fell asleep and missed this entire episode, but reading here, I'm glad I did. I don't like the Syria story line and I don't like TC. I just don't see what the appeal is about TC, is dirty, mean, scraggly, rude, I-never-wash-or-shave the new hot look and personality to make doctors popular -- or men in general? I just don't get it. But I did enjoy my long sleep last night, so there's that.

And the actor isn't even handsome or charismatic. 

Were those worms in that boys intestine?

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I still don't like Shannon, although she did surprise the hell out of me by smiling last night.  I think the actress is just awful.

I also don't give a crap that Annie took a flying leap.

Agree and agree!! 

I'm so over everyone fawning all over Jordan. She's a horrible leader, a mediocre doctor at best, and has the personality of a wet noodle!

The TC/Syria plot really needs to end...like three episodes ago!! Am I correct in saying The Night Shift has the same music used in Prison Break for the TC/Syria scenes?

• Love 2

Juliet, if you look closely, you can see Michael and Linc run across the background during that scene of TC in Syria. It bugs me that the name of this episode is the same as the series starring Steven Pasquale. Although that was four years ago, so who remembers.

Why is TC still on the show?  I mean seriously.  What does Syria have to do with the whole idea of this show, which is a hospital in Texas?  It was one thing when he was there for a short time allegedly getting his head on straight, but now that he's decided to stay there, I was expecting him to be written off the show.  What purpose does he serve now?  And honestly I was surprised he insisted on getting that kid to the base.  Since when has lack of proper facilities and/or equipment ever stopped him before?  I was half-expecting him to cut the kid open on the ground with a butter knife and some home-made hooch for anesthetic.  I enjoy the rest of the show - I have a great capacity to suspend disbelief when I want to.  But I just don't understand why TC is still a character on this show.  He seems to have nothing to do with anything else that's going on, and I honestly just don't care about him enough to be interested in his 'adventures' being SuperDoc in Syria.  They can spin him off to a new show called "The Desert Shift" and let anyone who finds him interesting watch while the rest of us don't have to have the flow of the show constantly interrupted to bring us his emo angst.  And they should feel free to bring Topher back as a ghost to haunt the ER.  I loved Topher.

• Love 5

So, now they bring back Annie, only to have her commit suicide at the end.  Granted, I wasn't a huge fan of the character, but they are dropping bodies this season. When did this silly summer show get so dark?

Are they trying something with Jordan and Cain?  All of those "Boss" remarks and her reaction after certainly seems like the bizarre way the show deals with flirting. Still finding him a bit pushy, but at least he knows when to back off, even if they usually have to tell him two or three time.

Glad the guy will get his hand back, but attaching it to his leg is certainly a frightening image!

Why am I not surprised that Paul is pretty much letting both Kenny and Shannon walk over him as roomies, even though it is actually his house?

They really need to get T.C. out of Syria soon, because it is feeling more and more like he's on a different show.  

• Love 1