Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E05: Give It Up, Princess

(edited)

Not my favorite episode but some nice moments.

Zoie Palmer playing the human form Humanbot is always a hoot.  Add to it a southern bell..  

Five's totally blasé attitude to being captured. It was her seventh or eighth time and all Adrian's ideas were stupid.

The really polite security robot.

And of course the girl Adrian is trying to save turns out to be a bad guy.

oh and Five's fighting skills are intermediate not beginner.  And Solara has a cool...and quite bloody backstory.  But not much of a smiler.  

Edited by Chaos Theory
  • Love 7

Oh, Anna Hopkins.  What is with you and always getting captured on shows?  Well, at least this one was actually just a fake-out and all part of your grand plan to trick Adrian, but you sell it so well!  Since they left her only bloody but still alive, I wonder if she'll come back into play.

Still not a huge fan of Adrian, so I wasn't quite that invested in this episode, but it had a few good moments.  Android dressing up to the nines and putting on a Southern Belle act for the guards (and Three was totally checking her out in that dress!) was fun.  Solara's backstory about being a peaceful monk, until they were slaughtered and she avenged them was a good character moment.  Two and Three's general annoyance over Adrian is always a hoot as well.

The stuff with Ryo and Zairon seem to be getting dangerous.  Sounds like Ryo had gone with Teku's plan, but it ended up backfiring on them, so he's now pissed with him, and likely Misaki would use this to get back into Ryo's good graces.  Wasn't sure if her smirk to Teku at the end was just general smugness or hinting that she might have even had something to do with the losses.  I wouldn't put it past her to sacrifice a few ships to win back Ryo.

So, that ending sure seem to hint that Six might be a secret agent for whatever company that is.  I hope not.  If he ends up betraying Raza again, I don't if Five will ever breakdown or kill him.  Maybe both...

• Love 3
(edited)

An enjoyable episode.  I'm sure Zoe appreciated the opportunity to glam it up.  It was funny that Three wasn't interested in her at all.  Speaking of glamming it up - shouldn't Anna Hopkins have been made up to be hotter?  If she was Tabor's girlfriend, "unobtainable" to Adrain and able to use her sexual wiles on Goren, I would have expected her to be better looking (not that she is an unattractive woman, of course).

Don't care about the bodyguard or her backstory.  I know it's probably intentional on the show's part, but she just isn't interesting.  I thought it was pretty funny, though, that it was her chest that came up against the force field.

Can't decide if Misaki is trying to become Ryo's closest advisor, or she is angling to become Empress herself.  Ryo is really out of depth, truly insecure and acting out of fear. 

I liked how this supposedly tough crew, feared throughout the galaxy, are such pussycats, acceding to going all over on the basis of the skimpy info doled out by Adrian.

Added:  Who is the rescued royalty mentioned in the episode description? What princess? 

Edited by mjc570
second thought
21 minutes ago, mjc570 said:

Added:  Who is the rescued royalty mentioned in the episode description? What princess? 

Didn't Solara tell Ambrosia, Tabor's and Adrian's princess, to give it up, meaning the locket with the decryption key?

As unstoppable as the Android seems when she goes into battle mode it makes you wonder what any human, even an enhanced one like Two could do if a purpose made battle android is released on them

• Love 1

I liked the Raza's planet-hopping scavenger hunt but am sick of everyone in Zairon, especially Misaki and Teku and Ryo and all the generals, guards, and scientists. Really, everyone.

The guy who was holding Ambrosia hostage was such a clodhopper bad guy stereotype.

My guess is that Six is being used without his knowledge, but at least he'll be back in the main story next week.

• Love 3

I remember that one of the things Old Five said in the last episode was the fall of Ishida. That cannot come soon enough for me, I find Ryo and his kingdom so very boring.  The rest of the episode was a bit boring but had a few nice moments. Android talking to the other android and leaving him the upgrade. I wonder if we will ever see him again, the Android Liberation Front was mentioned in the last episode which is a story that does interest me. 

• Love 7
8 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Sounds like Ryo had gone with Teku's plan, but it ended up backfiring on them, so he's now pissed with him, and likely Misaki would use this to get back into Ryo's good graces.  Wasn't sure if her smirk to Teku at the end was just general smugness or hinting that she might have even had something to do with the losses.  I wouldn't put it past her to sacrifice a few ships to win back Ryo.

That was what I suspected, that Misaki set the trap or leaked info to let others set a trap. Regardless, I'm with those commenters who think the Zairon story is boring.

Adrian did grow on me a little in this episode, but it's still not the same without the original crew (or at least with Six).

I couldn't tell from the final scene whether the commander (general or whatever he was) was talking to Six or just watching him as he dictated his report/orders. I really don't see Six being a traitor or bad guy at this point, he seemed to be sincere in wanting to redeem himself by helping people.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Paloma said:

That was what I suspected, that Misaki set the trap or leaked info to let others set a trap. Regardless, I'm with those commenters who think the Zairon story is boring.

Adrian did grow on me a little in this episode, but it's still not the same without the original crew (or at least with Six).

I couldn't tell from the final scene whether the commander (general or whatever he was) was talking to Six or just watching him as he dictated his report/orders. I really don't see Six being a traitor or bad guy at this point, he seemed to be sincere in wanting to redeem himself by helping people.

Commander Niemann (from the pilot episode, and the go-to Ferrous commander for the show, just as Truffault is running almost everything within Mikkei) was making an audio recording "for the ears of the board of directors only". Certainly not talking to Six.

It was more or less implied that "agent zero" is Six, but this could be misdirection. Six was a GA officer and AFAIK he has never been under Ferrous control. After all the memory loss, he wouldn't even remember being a double agent so this seems very unlikely.

It may be Niemann was merely looking at one of the sources of his independent colony problems, and "agent zero" is either another person or it may be a chemical agent or something like that.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Wouter said:

Commander Niemann (from the pilot episode, and the go-to Ferrous commander for the show, just as Truffault is running almost everything within Mikkei) was making an audio recording "for the ears of the board of directors only". Certainly not talking to Six.

It was more or less implied that "agent zero" is Six, but this could be misdirection. Six was a GA officer and AFAIK he has never been under Ferrous control. After all the memory loss, he wouldn't even remember being a double agent so this seems very unlikely.

It may be Niemann was merely looking at one of the sources of his independent colony problems, and "agent zero" is either another person or it may be a chemical agent or something like that.

Old Five along with the Fall of the House of Ikado (sp?). All talked about a double betrayal.  That could be Six.  Six really being the biggest asshole in the history of assholes.

• Love 1

I think I need to make a list of the Android's various sartorial purchases (I'm reading Sei Shonagon's Pillow Book and so I am in the mood for lists): An apron, an impractical hat, pink heels - not mentioned but shown a great dress and a pink fur coat, and basil. Speaking of her southern belle get-up: the one early 21th century fad I did not expect to make it to the future was shrobing (strictly speaking it was more shrugging).

I like Solara's back-story, looks like she's also in need of some redemption. But what finally sold me on the character was that she also has great coat-game. I do hope Two picks up her badass-coat soon - both figuratively and literally. Was Melissa O'Neill injured during filming? It looks as if all the fighting scenes are currently done by Solara (and Five, he!).

I'm glad the Android left the upgrade with the guardian Android - that seems to indicate the ALF plot is still going. As for Ryo: Pal, ditch your counselors and get a copy of Machiavelli.

Looks like mining colonies are causing troubles for all parties involved - that could become interesting. I don't think Six is a double-agent. But maybe he's a sleeper agent with some hidden neural programming?

Bit of a filler episode but with plenty of interesting details to keep me entertained. The one weak link in the show is Adrian, the character is still too close to Talbor.

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

I don't think Six is a double-agent. But maybe he's a sleeper agent with some hidden neural programming?

That would certainly be a double betrayal--six of either the Raza or the people he thinks he is helping as well as six betraying himself.

(edited)

I hate when people (men) tell other people (women) they need to smile more, but Solara's "Is this what smiling looks like?" was cute (doesn't hurt that she's HOT!!!!).

Every guard in every known universe knows the Sick Prisoner ploy by now!

13 hours ago, Paloma said:

That was very weird because I would have thought that the guy who killed the previous leader was a more likely choice for Agent Zero.

Edited by jhlipton
2 minutes ago, call me ishmael said:

That would certainly be a double betrayal--six of either the Raza or the people he thinks he is helping as well as six betraying himself.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant it's even hidden from him - i.e. he's not aware. A bit like Boomer on BSG (except the whole Cylon part).

• Love 1

Oh yes i understood that.  That is part of what i liked about your suggestion because like Boomer it would mean he was betraying not only others but what he wanted to do (consciously).  If you are right he would be betrayed (by whoever programmed him) at the same time as he was betraying others.  So a double betrayal.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Chaos Theory said:

Old Five along with the Fall of the House of Ikado (sp?). All talked about a double betrayal.  That could be Six.  Six really being the biggest asshole in the history of assholes.

It seems more likely that Ferrous is planning to use biological or chemical warfare to take out the colonists (but keep the infrastructure).

The double deception (not betrayal) could also be related to One/Derrick Moss.

1 hour ago, MissLucas said:

Was Melissa O'Neill injured during filming? It looks as if all the fighting scenes are currently done by Solara (and Five, he!).

I'm expecting at least one big fight scene for Two, this season.

42 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant it's even hidden from him - i.e. he's not aware. A bit like Boomer on BSG (except the whole Cylon part).

That's another possibility, but then the partial mindwipe on the Raza could interfere with any "Manchurian canditate" antics. I can't see Six being a double/triple agent knowingly.

Boomer was a character with a lot of storypotential, sadly mishandled by the showrunners of BSG. The writers seemed to forget that Athena wasn't the same person, and after S2 Boomer got a couple of lobotomies, changing her personality a few times. Particularly on New Caprica it didn't maken any sense.

Can the House of Ishida please just fall now? I like the actors and the aesthetic of the place is cool, but I'm mostly just bored by Ryo and his growing asshole tendencies. I mean, he was always an asshole, but now he's just an uber asshole. Four was a million times more interesting that Ryo, even if he served a different purpose in the show.

I think Six might be some kind of brainwashed sleeper agent, or has an implant in his head that controls him, and he has no idea he has this thing in his head that can be activated. He did work for the sketchy government after all, maybe they did something and wiped his memory? I don't think he will actually betray the miners, he just seems so sincere in his desire for redemption. Plus, he just betrayed his crew last season, it would be stupid to have him do it with a new group.

I knew that woman was bad news from the second I saw her. Adrian got more to do here, and I do like him, and thought this was a good episode for him, but I still miss the original team. Speaking of Solara gets a backstory, and its a pretty cool one! Classic revenge/redemption narrative. I really do like the newbies, even if it doesn't have the same interesting vibe as the original team.

Love how annoyed Two and Three are by Adrian, pretty much any time he speaks. They both look like they are constantly trying to resist the urg to smack him in the face, its hilarious.

We don't get Three speaking French this week, but we DO get the Android with a cute southern accent, and I will take that happily.

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/30/2017 at 9:37 PM, mjc570 said:

An enjoyable episode.  I'm sure Zoe appreciated the opportunity to glam it up.  It was funny that Three wasn't interested in her at all.  Speaking of glamming it up - shouldn't Anna Hopkins have been made up to be hotter?  If she was Tabor's girlfriend, "unobtainable" to Adrain and able to use her sexual wiles on Goren, I would have expected her to be better looking (not that she is an unattractive woman, of course).

Don't care about the bodyguard or her backstory.  I know it's probably intentional on the show's part, but she just isn't interesting.  I thought it was pretty funny, though, that it was her chest that came up against the force field.

Can't decide if Misaki is trying to become Ryo's closest advisor, or she is angling to become Empress herself.  Ryo is really out of depth, truly insecure and acting out of fear. 

I liked how this supposedly tough crew, feared throughout the galaxy, are such pussycats, acceding to going all over on the basis of the skimpy info doled out by Adrian.

On 6/30/2017 at 10:05 PM, Raja said:

Didn't Solara tell Ambrosia, Tabor's and Adrian's princess, to give it up, meaning the locket with the decryption key?

I think "princess" is just a standard phrase - it didn't seem to me that she was actually a princess. 

When watching the scenes with Misaki and Ryo, I thought about how the younger Ryo was basically crap at military tactics (he lost a ship, didn't he, and his sword instructor was going to take the blame?) He hasn't improved. I definitely think Misaki was involved in the failed attempt. She is ruthless. And I'm getting a little tired of her - as she's one note shy of twirling a mustache.

I kind of liked the male Android. I hope he uses the key and shows up again.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I think Six might be some kind of brainwashed sleeper agent, or has an implant in his head that controls him, and he has no idea he has this thing in his head that can be activated. He did work for the sketchy government after all, maybe they did something and wiped his memory?

Reminds me of PsyCorp from Babylon 5.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I kind of liked the male Android. I hope he uses the key and shows up again.

Checkov's ALF upgrade chip. If it's seen in episode 5, it must appear again by episode 13.

• Love 2
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 1:18 AM, 2727 said:

I liked the Raza's planet-hopping scavenger hunt but am sick of everyone in Zairon, especially Misaki and Teku and Ryo and all the generals, guards, and scientists. Really, everyone.

The guy who was holding Ambrosia hostage was such a clodhopper bad guy stereotype.

I agree with the Zairon stuff, it is boring me to tears. As for the kidnapper/hostage the acting was so atrocious it was hard to watch. I didn't care for the planet hopping either. This was the second episode in a row where nothing in the episode itself moved the plot along except for the last 10 minutes. The file is here, oh no it's all blowed up. Then he must have it in his safety deposit box, lets steal it, oh it's empty, he must have it in his secret hideaway only I know about, it was all so ridiculous. I at least hope the took the crate that had all the cash in it, I can't see Three leaving that behind.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 11:37 PM, mjc570 said:

Don't care about the bodyguard or her backstory.  I know it's probably intentional on the show's part, but she just isn't interesting. 

The backstory was so cliché I was gagging on it.

• Love 2
On 7/2/2017 at 11:56 PM, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of Solara gets a backstory, and its a pretty cool one! Classic revenge/redemption narrative.

They pretty much stole it from Into The Badlands. But I liked it anyway.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

They pretty much stole it from Into The Badlands. But I liked it anyway.

I  was thinking Kung-fu with the monks teaching only peace only for her to lose the self discipline when a friend was killed.  Only Caine immediately acted while Solara planned a massacre 

(edited)

Are they making Six/Griffin/Kal a traitor again? Cuz I'm so not here for that.

Loved that Five/Six scene though. Those 2 are great together.

Good to get some background on Solara.

I agree with others here: I'm bored by all things House of Ishida/Zairon. But I can't see how they're going to bring Four back into the Raza fold.

Edited by Gillian Rosh
  • Love 1

Just watched this ep again and... Holy Moly! How is Misaki still alive?!  She is surly and insolent and her head needs to be detached from her shoulders.

• Love 4