Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Slouch. Submit.

• Start Topic

Glad they fleshed out a few more of the supporting cast, especially Cherry and Justine and what looks like to be almost as big of a rivalry as Ruth/Debbie.  Also like the idea of Cherry serving as the new trainer as well.

Sam is a manipulating sleaze, but he is evilly fun to watch.  But I do hope Ruth eventually takes his advice about not being bothered by the hate, and just embracing being a heel, once she steps into the ring against Debbie.

Hope we get more of the other characters soon like Wolf Lady, Carmen, Ellen Wong's character, and the quite Indian wrestler, who I just realized is Trenton from Mr. Robot.

• Love 1

Better second episode. I honestly am finding that I don't particular care a lot about Ruth, but she's a good anti-hero that I could end up rooting for. I also like Debbie and root for her rivalry against Ruth. I'm sure once they talk it out, they'll be fine, but she has every right to be pissed at Ruth and thrive off of her humiliation. 

Cherry, in her first two episodes, is on my favourites list, which isn't a very long list. It was also nice to get more of Melrose, having her and Cherry have their own rivalry matching Debbie/Ruth. Sam's also a sleazebag but is fun to watch.

Basically, a lot of morally grey characters, which I love. I'm looking forward to seeing more of the other supporting characters. 

The music is truly great, and I enjoy the premise. Again, not my favourite show, but I like it enough. 

• Love 4

Sam is so sleazy, but I'm pretty entertained by him. As of now, I like all the characters, even ones that are assholes.

I will never understand 80s fashion. Like, I like bright colors too, but that hair! Those clashing patterns! I just don't get it. I wasn't alive during the 80s, so I guess you had to be there and I will never understand it, but I just cant picture myself looking into a mirror in full on 80s wear being like "I look AWESOME".

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

I wasn't alive during the 80s, so I guess you had to be there and I will never understand it, but I just cant picture myself looking into a mirror in full on 80s wear being like "I look AWESOME".

I was a kid in the '80s…you had to be there.  We definitely thought we looked so cool.

Loving Cherry, I need to know more.  Same  with Melrose, I'm super into this rivalry.

• Love 15

Way better than the pilot. They actually lampshaded the fact that Cherry's larger role was turning them into an ensemble show, and as an ensemble show this does work. If it was still all "Oh, poor, poor Ruth," I would be done with it.

• Love 3
On 6/25/2017 at 7:37 AM, tennisgurl said:

I will never understand 80s fashion. Like, I like bright colors too, but that hair! Those clashing patterns! I just don't get it. I wasn't alive during the 80s, so I guess you had to be there and I will never understand it, but I just cant picture myself looking into a mirror in full on 80s wear being like "I look AWESOME".

Almost the whole decade was my high-school (and a bit of university). I lived it and yet I STILL don't understand it. I have virtually no nostalgia for my own coming-of-age decade. Terrible clothes, hair and decor. A lot of terrible music too (though I get a kick out of the stuff they're putting on the show soundtrack - songs that would have been on my Sony Walkman back then).

The 70's were pretty hideous too, but in a more innocent naive way. The 80's were just so... over the top tacky. For some reason hair was really key: big, crispy fried hair. Everyone had terrible perms - including my own perm disaster of 1984. You went into the hair-dresser thinking you'd walk out with bouncy curls, and instead you wound up with a head full of wavy frizz. It was like a mass hair delusion back then. Ugh.

• Love 7
On 6/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, tennisgurl said:

Sam is so sleazy, but I'm pretty entertained by him.

I don't find him sleazy so much as opportunistic: Women's wrestling is how he's going to get his foot back in the door.

On 6/25/2017 at 0:31 PM, OnceSane said:
On 6/25/2017 at 10:37 AM, tennisgurl said:

I wasn't alive during the 80s, so I guess you had to be there and I will never understand it, but I just cant picture myself looking into a mirror in full on 80s wear being like "I look AWESOME".

I was a kid in the '80s…you had to be there.  We definitely thought we looked so cool.

It was all about showing strength through big shoulders and bigger hair. 

• Love 3
On 6/24/2017 at 7:25 PM, Lady Calypso said:

Better second episode. I honestly am finding that I don't particular care a lot about Ruth, but she's a good anti-hero that I could end up rooting for.

I don't tend to make comparisons with characters from different shows, but for me, she's kind of serving the same purpose as Piper in Orange is the New Black. Someone you don't really like, but is the entry POV to this new world.

On 6/25/2017 at 7:37 AM, tennisgurl said:

Someday you'll look back on how you dress now (or when you were a teen) and think the same thing. 

On 7/2/2017 at 10:47 AM, dubbel zout said:

It was all about showing strength through big shoulders and bigger hair. 

I always ripped out the shoulder pads in everything I bought.  Broad shoulders on a short woman is a terrible look. Never got the Debbie sweaters - they were too much work to take care of. The leotards, though. Yep. Loved them - though I would never have worn one without tights going into a dirty assed gym. 

I loved my perm. Wash and air dry, easy peasy. My hair was thin and fine, and for once I had volume - but I never did anything to amp it up. The only time my hair was teased was when I went to beauty shops as a kid.  

• Love 4
(edited)

I think 80's fashion is so adorable.  I think it looks great.  I grew up with 90's fashion.  In comparison it was so minimalist.  Sometimes it was good, but sometimes it was bad.  Heroin chic?  All the flat hair and brown and black makeup looks pretty weird now.  80's music and fashion always make me so happy.  In comparison to the 90's it seems so upbeat.  I always joke that it was probably all of the cocaine but it's definitely more alive, wild, fun, and colourful.  It's like in the 90's everyone reacted by being so afraid of looking goofy.  But growing up remembering the 80's seems even more fun.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
(edited)
49 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Broad shoulders on a short woman is a terrible look

I'm 6' and have broad shoulders anyway; padding made me look as if I was the anchor of the defensive line for the Green Bay Packers. I'm not sure that exaggerated look was flattering to anyone!

Edited by dubbel zout
added missing word
  • Love 2

Whenever I watch anything from the 80s or 90s, I joke that 80s clothes had so much color, the world ran out for awhile, hence the 90s love of faded flannel and dark colors! 

Of course, I came of age right when Ugg Boots were getting big (I was VERY proud of my knock offs) so who am I to judge? 

• Love 2
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2017 at 10:37 AM, tennisgurl said:

Sam is so sleazy, but I'm pretty entertained by him. As of now, I like all the characters, even ones that are assholes.

Of course, 30 years from now, they'll be saying the same thing about our fashion.

• Love 3
On 7/4/2017 at 9:35 AM, Clanstarling said:

I always ripped out the shoulder pads in everything I bought.

So did I. I was tall and skinny but I was always like, why do I want my shoulders to look bigger? Anyways, I am a nostalgic person so I still love the 80's. I miss the clothes, I think they had personality. The hair, not so much. I have noticed those high waist skinny jeans are back in style. Too bad I'm too old and fat to wear them now, lol.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, festivus said:

So did I. I was tall and skinny but I was always like, why do I want my shoulders to look bigger? Anyways, I am a nostalgic person so I still love the 80's. I miss the clothes, I think they had personality. The hair, not so much. I have noticed those high waist skinny jeans are back in style. Too bad I'm too old and fat to wear them now, lol.

I don't miss the clothes at all - except for the leotards and leg warmers. Go figure.

6 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I don't miss the clothes at all - except for the leotards and leg warmers. Go figure.

I'll say I don't miss wearing the clothes. The 80's were all about keeping it tight. So tight. Lay down on the bed to zip your zipper tight.  So I can see why that's all you miss!

• Love 2

I'm loving Cherry! Melrose was an ice cold bitch to bring up what she overheard in the bathroom (although it's really Sam's fault for saying any of that while someone else was present). Love Cherry calling Melrose on her shit when she called her a spoiled princess whose daddy pays her bills.

Re: 80s fashion - I think there is a lot of fug in EVERY decade. I mean, remember those hideous platform shoes with the stretchy fabric on top that everyone wore circa 2000? Or that gross orange and brown color combination from the 70s? I think there is a lot of ugly stuff from the 80s but at least it was colorful and cheerful.

On 2/10/2018 at 6:43 AM, festivus said:

The 80's were all about keeping it tight. So tight. Lay down on the bed to zip your zipper tight.  So I can see why that's all you miss!

That was before we had stretch denim! That 3% of lycra makes a world of difference. I remember even in the early 2000s, I would have creases on my skin when I took my jeans off because that all cotton denim was so unforgiving. Now that I have experienced stretchy denim, I can never go back.

• Love 3

I'm really into the soundtrack of this show.

Why did Ruth give up her nice shoes? 

Is the lack of body hair/amount of grooming accurate for the 80's?

I'm really enjoying Britney Young. 

I don't love Melrose as a character right now but Jackie Tohn is doing a good job playing her.

"I love points." XD

I don't love Debbie being forced into the cast. That baggage was the least interesting part of the pilot. I don't need Ruth's personal drama infecting the whole show. I want to learn about the rest of the ensemble. 

Cherry is amazing. More Cherry.

I'm not sure how I feel about Marc Maron's character yet. His horrible misogyny and callousness is unpleasant but at the same time it feels kind of necessary for this world. It's not like this future program is going to be aired for the most sensitive audience. 

I don't know where they're going with Ruth. Again, her personal drama is uninteresting. She's not a sympathetic character but she's not a gleeful villain either. What is the point of this?