Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E12: Kimmy and the Trolley Problem!

I was hoping that Russ would end up being able to remain kind and humble even when he was hot but it makes sense he would be intoxicated on the attention he's never received before in his life. 

"You know you're in the golden age of television when you take a show like The Americans for granted." Preach! 

• Love 4

Pretty clever that the name Xanthippes (Kimmy's friend) is also the name of Socrates wife. Nope. Didn't google it (lol from the last episode). Had friends who named their cats this back in the 70's!! 

This show is like a revolving door of "hotties" who never stick around for long. First season it was the tutor guy, season two it was the soldier Kimmy met at a bar, this season it's new!Russ and probably Kimmy's college friend will be going soon, too. At least we got more than one hot guy this season.

But I liked Jacqueline realizing self-reliance is a greater reward than getting a man.

New!Russ did a pretty good job playing the character of a dude who didn't use to be pretty.

And I did get a kick out of that convention for all your doomsday needs. And all the sad balloons dropping down. I swear, some people really want the world to end so that they can finally use all the crap they bought in case the apocalypse happens.

Did anyone else get a little chuckle out of that "Seb's Pure Jazz" mark on the video of Roland playing guitar?

And I'm amazed Siri got every word of Lillian's long-ass question. The search results are full of little freeze-frame nuggets, too. Roland was in that jazz band in Lala Land!

Not sure why it says "boss of flowers" in Japanese on Lillian's kimono robe. Is that a reference to anything?

• Love 3

I always love when we check in with the other Mole Women, and I think Cindy is my favorite. Also, she looks really good! Her hair looks awesome.

On ‎5‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 0:47 PM, JustaPerson said:

"You know you're in the golden age of television when you take a show like The Americans for granted." Preach! 

YES! I've been saying that all season.

Its too bad that hot Russ is gone already, I liked the actor playing a weirdo guy who is just getting used to being hot. This show really does have a never ending revolving door of love interests for its main characters, doesn't it? And now Artie only has a year or so left to live, which is too bad, because I like him.

• Love 1

I feel bad for Xan. She's starting to seem like the character who keeps getting dumped on for no reason. If Kimmy wanted to help people one at a time, why couldn't she help Xan produce a successful tv show by doing the promised interview?  Instead, Kimmy screws her over to "help" Titus, a horrible person who treats others like crap and keeps throwing away his opportunities.  Kind of an asshole move, Kimmy.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, thespiritflies said:

I feel bad for Xan. She's starting to seem like the character who keeps getting dumped on for no reason.

Yes, when the Columbia storyline started, I was hoping for more scenes with her and Kimmy, but Xan really hasn't been around much and it seems like she gets humiliated whenever she does show up. Actually, there's been a lot less of Kimmy's time at college than I would've expected. And the fact that Kimmy's still married to the Reverend hasn't come up since Laura Dern's episode, which also seems odd.

• Love 2

"You've got her in your van. Now what? Bunko!" Oh God, Cindy! Never change!

Best company tag line ever.

The solution to Xanthippe's problem was rather obvious - she should have interviewed Cindy. God knows Cindy has no problems being exploited as one of the mole women. The only problem I can see is that Cindy would probably have wanted to get paid. But Xan is rich, so if she was that desperate to interview one of the mole women she could have shelled out a few bucks.

• Love 6

Xanthippe's talk show turning into a train wreck was funny, ironically because in RL show's like that are always the most entertaining when they go off-script.  I don't even know what Titus was doing, the look on Xan's face was priceless.  Her show will probably turn into a big hit.

On 2017-5-25 at 0:16 AM, tennisgurl said:

I always love when we check in with the other Mole Women, and I think Cindy is my favorite. Also, she looks really good! Her hair looks awesome.

Was it a sign or a brochure or something that referred to her as "The Hot One". That made me laugh.

Also kind of glad the Russ and his family storyline is done. It seems there hasn't been nearly enough Kimmy and Jacqueline scenes this season.

• Love 1
(edited)

I had mixed feelings about Kimmy's decision. On the one hand, I was really glad that she realized she didn't have to talk about what happened in the bunker for the sake of the greater good (and who's to say how many people are out there who would benefit from Kimmy talking about that?). If she's not ready to talk about that stuff publicly, then there's no reason that she should pressure herself to do it. But it was so shitty of her not to tell Xan ahead of time so that she could try to book another guest (and as noted above, the easy solution would have been to ask Cyndee to take her place). I know that Kimmy thought she was still doing something good by giving Titus the opportunity to be on tv, but she wasn't thinking about the fact that this was Xan's first episode.

Cyndee selling bunkers at the survivalist convention as both hilarious and horrible. I mean, I guess I can't fault her for embracing her image and using it to her advantage, but dude!

I was really hoping that Russ would stay the same sweet guy but I can't say I'm surprised that he wants to enjoy being hot. That's understandable. What's sadder to me is how eager he was to get all that attention from his father and brothers, knowing that they're total assholes. Again, not surprising but just sad. Ha, or maybe I shouldn't take that storyline so seriously.

Part of me was hoping that Kenan would bust out into "What Up With That?" during his Brown Note Cafe performance. I loved that when Lilian was going on and on about how much she loved Roland, Titus made sure to remind her that she was the one who shot her beloved husband in the face.

When Kimmy couldn't explain the stuff she learned in philosophy to Titus and Cyndee, I thought that she was going to have Perry explain it to them. Instead we got her weird professor talking about his open marriage some more!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2

Kimmy's philosophy professor:  "Well, um, my mentor Peter Singer from Princeton University...  (Titus whispering to Cyndee: "Real Ivy") ...would say that a truly moral person would even give away her organs to those in need."

Ellie Kemper graduated from Princeton in 2002.

• Love 4

I was hoping that Russ would end up being able to remain kind and humble even when he was hot but it makes sense he would be intoxicated on the attention he's never received before in his life. 

On the one hand, I did think it felt really truthful that Russ was unable to resist both the admiration for his appearance and specifically the new love and respect from his family. On the other hand, I think him wearing the shiny vest and the Bravo thing was too much and just felt like an excuse for an Andy Cohen cameo because they could.

This show is like a revolving door of "hotties" who never stick around for long. First season it was the tutor guy, season two it was the soldier Kimmy met at a bar, this season it's new!Russ and probably Kimmy's college friend will be going soon, too. At least we got more than one hot guy this season.

Excellent recap. I hope it doesn't become like The Mindy Project in that way.

I got really scared that they were gonna kill off Artie right then and there, I legit started tearing up! Still sad he's only got a year or two left. I love him and Lillian together.

What I like the most about Artie, I think, is the new perspective he brings to the show. He's one of the few "normal" recurring characters (along with Fern and Virgil, and Perry a little bit, but his backstory makes him too weird to qualify, imo), but he's also the only character who truly embraces the present and future. Kimmy is stuck in the past because of all the time she missed while in the bunker. Titus too lives as if it's still the '90s, which gives he and Kimmy a lot of common ground and similar interests. And Lillian is resistant to all forms of change both because it means an erosion of the lifestyle she's used to (remember, before she and Jacqueline drove to Indiana in season one, she'd never left Manhattan) and also represents unfulfilled promises (the Second Avenue Subway, which did open on time but not far enough uptown). But Artie embraces the future because he sees its potential. New technology allows him to live longer. Progress can help people, like he's trying to do with Big Naturals (I will never not laugh at that name). He's a great character because he widens and diversifies the scope of the show's commentary.

Sad that Jacqueline and Russ are over, but it makes sense that Russ would crave all that positive attention after literally an entire lifetime of being denied it. It also marked a big moment in Jacqueline's character development. I hope that whenever the show ends, she is thriving and successful on her own merits.

It's interesting what the show seemed to be saying about Kimmy not wanting to be a symbol of hope for people unless it was on her own terms. I love watching this show when I'm feeling particularly down, either personally or because of the clusterfuck world we now find ourselves living in, and Kimmy the character has really been a source of inspiration for me over the past three years that this show has been on. She survived one of the absolute worst things that could happen to a person, and deals with her trauma through positivity and embracing the fact that the world didn't end and she still has a life to live. But she's more than a symbol. She's a fully realized person who is defined by more than the bunker. The show has made that point before but I felt that this episode really drove it home. What she did to Xan was kind of shitty (but, in her Kimmy way, not completely selfish, whether Titus deserved to be a part of the golden age of television or not), but she still doesn't have to do anything she doesn't want to. It's her story to share when she's ready, if that ever happens.

Cyndee is a great character. "I'm in this awful place. I think it's called the Javits Center?" And the Hillary balloons. I'll be at the Javits Center in October for New York Comic Con and I'm already dreading it. We could have had it all!

On 5/21/2017 at 4:22 PM, starri said:

Is that all the Billy Magnussen I'm going to get?  That's not fair.  That's not fair at all.

That's who was playing him. It was driving me nuts the whole episode. It's Kato from American Crime Story!

On 6/30/2017 at 3:02 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Kimmy's philosophy professor:  "Well, um, my mentor Peter Singer from Princeton University...  (Titus whispering to Cyndee: "Real Ivy") ...would say that a truly moral person would even give away her organs to those in need."

Forgot Ellie had gone to Princeton, but in case people missed the joke on Peter Singer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Singer 

I agree with him in some instances but his positions on infanticide and bestiality are, uh, suspect.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, helenamonster said:
On 6/30/2017 at 3:02 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Forgot Ellie had gone to Princeton, but in case people missed the joke on Peter Singer: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Singer 

I agree with him in some instances but his positions on infanticide and bestiality are, uh, suspect.

That was some read! Thank you for the clickable link. 

• Love 1

I loved this episode and season but the hot Russ actor didn't do it for me. He didn't seem like Russ at all and it's like I could see him trying but not succeeding.

Aww, shit, not Artie!  He's pretty much on borrowed time now.  I really like how he plays off of Carol and the others, and I will be bummed if he leaves soon.

I can understand Kimmy's reasons at the end, but I agree that I think it would have worked better if it ended with her bringing Cindy to do an interview instead. But since she just brought Titus to ham it up instead, I now kind of feel bad for Xan of all people.  Looking on the bright side of things, I can see this craziness boosting the show's ratings, so maybe Xan will be able to recover and take advantage of the potential audience.

At a feeling New Russ wasn't going to be sticking around.  I'm glad Jacqueline realized they were on different paths now.  I do wonder if Russ will eventually realize how bad his family still is.  Although, I actually feel kind of bad for Duke since he apparently got shipped to Gitmo of all places!

• Love 1