Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E21: The Final Battle Part 1 / S06.E22: The Final Battle Part 2

• Start Topic

(edited)
10 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

But it also said it had been two years since Emma came to Storybrooke, and in the Pilot she had given Henry up ten years ago. So he should be 12.

Unfortunately, Jared Gilmore's near-completion of puberty has rendered that claim ridiculous in the extreme.  Henry should be at least 15 or 16 now, which would make him around 25-26 when his daughter comes knocking ten years after the Black Fairy's defeat.

Edited by legaleagle53

How in the name of the Little Black not Ebony, because Black women are scary) Fairy is Gidiot "Light".  I would have been repulsed if Regina had been forced to fight Emma, but at least she has :ight Magic (thanks to the REC).  Gidiot?  Not once has he shown any light at all.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:03 AM, AudienceofOne said:

What is this "next season" people keep referring to?

These are probably the same people who say that Buffy had more than 5 seasons, or that they made a movie based on Firefly.  #StillBitter

On 5/15/2017 at 11:58 AM, Curio said:

What was the point of Regina's pep talk to Emma?

More retconning.  "I hated you and you hated me -- all those silly murders and assaults had nothing to do with it!"

On 5/14/2017 at 1:19 AM, TheGreenKnight said:

interesting/sweet that the Charmings were sharing half of one heart and that they made a sacrifice to get back to Emma and Henry.

It explains why they were so ineffective after that -- they did everything half-heartedly!

On 5/15/2017 at 10:02 PM, Camera One said:

Thankfully, she was holding hands with Marco and Granny at the wedding during the dancing/singing.

Sure that wasn't the Black Fairy or Gidiot in disguise?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

Unfortunately, Jared Gilmore's near-completion of puberty has rendered that claim ridiculous in the extreme.  Henry should be at least 15 or 16 now, which would make him around 25-26 when his daughter comes knocking ten years after the Black Fairy's defeat.

So they should have said that more time passed than they did, instead of screwing with his age.

6 minutes ago, jhlipton said:

It explains why they were so ineffective after that -- they did everything half-heartedly!

That's actually hilarious. I'm surprised I haven't seen that one before.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, jhlipton said:

These are probably the same people who say that Buffy had more than 5 seasons, or that they made a movie based on Firefly.  #StillBitter

Sorry, jhlipton, I am one of those people. And I really liked the last season of Buffy. Also, at least it ended (whether you like how it ended is on another debate) normally, unlike... ekhm... its spin-off Angel, which in the last season, in my opinion, became... well... nonsensical halftwits dream in hashish.

• Love 1

I found myself thinking about the Savior thing again, and you know, it would actually have been better for everyone if Emma had used the shears earlier in the season. Then there would have been no reason for the Black Fairy to come to town. She wouldn't have been able to without the death (near death) of a Savior, and no reason to want to fight a Final Battle with Emma. No reason to send Hook away, no Savior's tears to keep him away, maybe not even a reason to kidnap baby Gideon. Meanwhile, did Emma do anything only a Savior could do, other than the Final Battle?

Speaking of the death of a Savior to open the portal ... how does that fit with the whole Final Battle prophecy? The Savior had to die to open a portal so that the Black Fairy could come fight the Final Battle against the Savior? Something tells me they came up with the concept behind the Final Battle after they aired the Savior portal episode.

• Love 2
51 minutes ago, Shanna Marie said:

Speaking of the death of a Savior to open the portal ... how does that fit with the whole Final Battle prophecy? The Savior had to die to open a portal so that the Black Fairy could come fight the Final Battle against the Savior? Something tells me they came up with the concept behind the Final Battle after they aired the Savior portal episode.

They come up with shit as they go. True story.

11 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Ya know, Emma didn't need to kill Gidiot, only give him a "flesh wound"!

Or punch him the freak out, especially since all these airy fairy people know how to do is to fight with magic or a sword, and they stand around talking about what they are going to do. This show is SOOO bad at fight scenes and they look as ridiculous as hell. All Emma needed to do was give him a super savior kick, knock the sword out of his hand and then the gang jump on him. I am sure they could come up with a super convenient magical solution to lifting the BF's demands. This was especially "disappointing" in that we already saw this damn fight, and Emma won! Why was this different???

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Shanna Marie said:

The Savior had to die to open a portal so that the Black Fairy could come fight the Final Battle against the Savior?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Love 3
(edited)
32 minutes ago, Mitch said:

This show is SOOO bad at fight scenes and they look as ridiculous as hell

It is usually just two people circling each other with everyone else standing around them in a circle.  I don't think anyone else even tried to stop Gideon in the "Final Battle".  I rewatched the season 1 finale last fall and when they had the dual Charming/Emma dragon scenes, I remember thinking that the action scenes have really declined since then (esp. with a show full of fairy tale characters).  As pointless as the Hook/Charming adventure was in the finale, at least it was a scene that tried to get some adventure mileage out of the unique fairy tale setting this show has.  Usually it is just two foes facing each other talking, with a 60 second fight at the end of the scene (which is often just pointing their hands at each other with magical flames coming out).

Edited by CCTC
  • Love 1

I'm actually disappointed there was hardly any death. The Final Battle was so dangerous that Regina asked Zelena to take Henry in case something happened. She made a point that in battles, not everyone makes it out alive. Rumple should have died.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, KingOfHearts said:

I'm actually disappointed there was hardly any death. The Final Battle was so dangerous that Regina asked Zelena to take Henry in case something happened. She made a point that in battles, not everyone makes it out alive. Rumple should have died.

I know everyone hated Grahams death but that was the last time that there was any real consequences (though even that is conveniently forgotten...) It was a popular character who was good and who died.  Every other death has been a villain at an end of an arc, or a throw away character that the writers dont care about..(.I was always more bothered by Greg and his father's death...neither one deserved it and the writers didn't give three craps..in a show about "hope" they say, that his father was separated from his son, then killed by Regina...up until then they could say that Regina hadn't killed anyone in our world, Regina showed no remorse when she told Greg, and then Greg who grew up without his dad, was killed in Neverland, without one tear shed. I suppose it was punishment for actually "torturing" Regina and then kidnapping kid annoying, but...)

Why should we watch if there are no stakes and no fallout?  The price for restoring all the realms and restoring things should have been magic is sucked out of SB..and the BF should have told Rump that it would happen if the Savior wins...so it WOULD have been a sacrifice for him.

• Love 5

Why should we watch if there are no stakes and no fallout?  The price for restoring all the realms and restoring things should have been magic is sucked out of SB..and the BF should have told Rump that it would happen if the Savior wins...so it WOULD have been a sacrifice for him.

If only they BELIEVED, they could have stopped Pan's curse. There would be no Missing Year or separation. No consequences.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Mitch said:

then Greg who grew up without his dad, was killed in Neverland, without one tear shed. I suppose it was punishment for actually "torturing" Regina and then kidnapping kid annoying, but...)

I felt bad in the flashback scenes where his Kurt was killed and that left Owen an orphan.   I feel significantly less bad that he tried to destroy an entire civilization and then kidnapped someone's son only to be betrayed by his evil partners. 

16 minutes ago, Delphi said:

I felt bad in the flashback scenes where his Kurt was killed and that left Owen an orphan.   I feel significantly less bad that he tried to destroy an entire civilization and then kidnapped someone's son only to be betrayed by his evil partners. 

I forgot about him setting off the Doomsday Diamond Plot Device...but evil is made and not born..and Regina made that evil so she should have owned up to it...

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Mitch said:

I forgot about him setting off the Doomsday Diamond Plot Device...but evil is made and not born..and Regina made that evil so she should have owned up to it...

Instead she smiled when she heard he was dead.

Or is he? Shouldn't he have been restored when the Blue Fairy was? In which case he's wandering around Neverland somewhere.

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
  • Love 1
42 minutes ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Instead she smiled when she heard he was dead.

Or is he? Shouldn't he have been restored when the Blue Fairy was? In which case he's wandering around Neverland somewhere.

Just another of Adam and Eddy's poor choices in the redemption of Regina..she should have had a look of regret on her face and owned up to what she did..."I set him on that path by killing his father..." she of all people should have realized that an adult messing with a kid/teen can really f*ck them up.

And logically he should be alive as should all the shadow people one of the guys said in a Twitter question that he is dead (and was probably surprised that someone was concerned at all..) I prefer to think he is alive and he and Tiger Lilly or Tink are getting it on..or if he preferred one of the adult lost boys...

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I prefer to think he is alive and he and Tiger Lilly or Tink are getting it on..or if he preferred one of the adult lost boys...

If he's alive, wouldn't Tamara be as well?  Can you say "threesome"?  Now we know why Tiger Lily never left Neverland!

6 hours ago, Mitch said:

Or punch him the freak out, especially since all these airy fairy people know how to do is to fight with magic or a sword, and they stand around talking about what they are going to do. This show is SOOO bad at fight scenes and they look as ridiculous as hell.

Sense8 has been mentioned in other threads but their fight scenes are everything that OUAT aren't.  Extremely well coordinated, often with 3 or more on one side, sliding in and out of the fight. This is just Lito and Wolfgang, but look how tight it is:

OUAT doesn't even come CLOSE!

• Love 1

And logically he should be alive as should all the shadow people one of the guys said in a Twitter question that he is dead (and was probably surprised that someone was concerned at all..) I prefer to think he is alive and he and Tiger Lilly or Tink are getting it on..or if he preferred one of the adult lost boys...

Tink made an off-handed comment, saying she got the watch from "what was left of him".

The Savior had to die to open a portal so that the Black Fairy could come fight the Final Battle against the Savior?

This is hilarious. There was simply zero thought put into this arc. If asked, I think they'd come back with because prophecy reasons. Which makes no sense because all her machinations prior to the Final Battle™ were useless and she would know that because prophecy, so what even was the point?

• Love 1
(edited)

Couldn't Fiona have pulled out Emma's heart when she had no memories at the mental hospital to crush it?  

I still don't get what she meant at the end of "The Song In Your Heart" when she told Emma now she would have to do it the "hard" way.  

If The Black Fairy hadn't found Henry's scribbling to find out only light can defeat light, then what?  What exactly did The Black Fairy promise Rumple anyway?  Why was Rumple immune from the Memory Curse anyway? 

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Tink made an off-handed comment, saying she got the watch from "what was left of him".

Which could just mean a shadowless dead body, which should have been restored offscreen.

On 5/18/2017 at 8:39 AM, Shanna Marie said:

I guess if she had actually died, that would have been the Black Fairy's victory in the Final Battle?

22 hours ago, Camera One said:

Couldn't Fiona have pulled out Emma's heart when she had no memories at the mental hospital to crush it?  

I still don't get what she meant at the end of "The Song In Your Heart" when she told Emma now she would have to do it the "hard" way.  

Why was Rumple immune from the Memory Curse anyway? 

1. I doubt it. The magic protecting Emma's heart doesn't depend on Emma knowing it exists. She didn't know it existed in "The Song in Your Heart" either until she saw it in action.

2. The Black Fairy meant that now she'd have to use a Dark Curse to defeat Emma instead of Emma just handing her heart over.

3. Rumple took something offscreen to ensure he'd remain awake. We don't know what.

8 hours ago, Mitch said:

Just another of Adam and Eddy's poor choices in the redemption of Regina..she should have had a look of regret on her face and owned up to what she did..."I set him on that path by killing his father..." she of all people should have realized that an adult messing with a kid/teen can really f*ck them up.

Can't agree with you, if some bloke was torturing me personally, I would be glad that the said bloke ended up dead. No matter past deeds.

7 hours ago, Rushmoras said:

Can't agree with you, if some bloke was torturing me personally, I would be glad that the said bloke ended up dead. No matter past deeds.

Even if you were the one who killed his dad and left him an orphan? She whines and whines about people not forgiving her for her past slaughters...

Though something tells me the Evil Queen would kind of be into that kind of stuff...A & E love to Easter Egg things I would have loved it after Greg strapped her in..Regina would purr.."Ohhhh, you've done this before!" ala Morticia Adams.

14 hours ago, jhlipton said:

If he's alive, wouldn't Tamara be as well?  Can you say "threesome"?  Now we know why Tiger Lily never left Neverland!

Sense8 has been mentioned in other threads but their fight scenes are everything that OUAT aren't.  Extremely well coordinated, often with 3 or more on one side, sliding in and out of the fight. This is just Lito and Wolfgang, but look how tight it is:

OUAT doesn't even come CLOSE!

Its really embarrasing that they can't spend extra money and time and hire a fight coordinator for at least the FREAKING FINAL BATTLE!!!

By the way, I want to be that cool that I get up from breakfast in my cool ass mansion and beat the crap out of someone...

• Love 1
(edited)
9 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Which could just mean a shadowless dead body, which should have been restored offscreen.

Exact quote: "Well, there wasn't enough left of him to find anything useful." She found Tamara's watch, but couldn't find anything on Greg.

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 2
53 minutes ago, Mitch said:

Even if you were the one who killed his dad and left him an orphan? She whines and whines about people not forgiving her for her past slaughters...

Well, sure, if I'd be seeking remorse I would feel bad for what I did, but if he would torture me for it, then, hell, if I could get my hands on the bloke, I would not shed any tears for anything bad that will happen to him.

(edited)

Saying that Regina made Owen evil is like saying Snow made Regina evil.   It doesn't compute.   Evil may be made,  not born,  but it is made by the people who give into it.   Snow didn't make Regina loose her shit and go on a vengeance killing spree,Regina chose to give into darkness instead of mourn and move on.   The same way that Rumple gave into darkness instead of mourning and moving on.   The same as Killian.  While all these people had horrible things happen,  they chose vengeance and darkness over the healthy alternative of grieving and moving on with their lives. 

What does Snow do?  She gets over it.   You don't see Red becoming a cannibal because she accidentally ate her boyfriend or killed her mother.   Charming isn't going around murdering people's mothers because his mom was killed.   Emma's not setting fire to people because they gave up their kids. 

Edited by Delphi
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, Delphi said:

Saying that Regina made Owen evil is like saying Snow made Regina evil.   It doesn't compute.   Evil may be made,  not born,  but it is made by the people who give into it.   Snow didn't make Regina loose her shit and go on a vengeance killing spree,Regina chose to give into darkness instead of mourn and move on.   The same way that Rumple gave into darkness instead of mourning and moving on.   The same as Killian.  While all these people had horrible things happen,  they chose vengeance and darkness over the healthy alternative of grieving and moving on with their lives. 

True  but we also have the reverse case between Owen/Regina and Snow/Regina where in case 1, an adult directly destroys a child's life, leaving him without guidance (both parents dead) in a world where talking about his experience (magic) will isolate him even more.

Snow was a child that was manipulated by someone who obviously already knew about Regina's secret. Regina (a grown up) decided then to blame Snow and not her mother and discovered soon that her mother had been planning most of it but she chose to ignore it.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Delphi said:

What does Snow do?  She gets over it.   You don't see Red becoming a cannibal because she accidentally ate her boyfriend or killed her mother.   Charming isn't going around murdering people's mothers because his mom was killed.   Emma's not setting fire to people because they gave up their kids. 

Snow is brain dead half the time, not only does she get over it, half the time I think she is more in love with Regina then she is her husband....(believe me, if this was an adult show and not a dumb live action cartoon there was a lot there the writers could work out with Regina and Snows obsession with each other...)

Your thinking like the writers, black and white...there is a grey area in between good and evil and the worst part of Regina's redemption story was that we never got to see that part, which IMO would be the most interesting part of the story.  Regina was either snarling and chewing scenery, or crying that she wasnt forgiven, or all of a sudden, this normal person that is best buds with the Charmings and does what is right all the time.  The sad thing is, Parrilla can play that area, and this character deserved that. I am not saying that Regina should have been all, "Hey Owen, why don't you come over and live with me and I will make you lasagna all day long cause...that what HEROES do!" But she needed to understand why he did it, take responsibiilty for her hand in it, and she could still be mad he kidnapped her brat. Remember, up until five minutes before they stole that dumb diamond, Regina herself was ready to set it off.

• Love 6
(edited)

I thought the TLK was total BS. Not because I hate Henry, but because it had zero setup and it resolved a big plot in a very cheap way. The Emma/Henry TLK in S1 was much more satisfying for several reasons. Emma was designed to break the curse. We knew she was going to do it from the get-go. It was just a matter of how. The apple turnover incident directly mirrored the Snowing story, which had been baked into the show since the very first scene. Emma suffered as an orphan for 28 years before being old enough to come to Storybrooke. Henry spent nearly a year getting her to believe once she got there. Not only did Emma learn to believe in magic, but also truly love her son as the mother she never was before.

And what did Henry do in this episode? Run around with his book for 6 hours? 

Edited by KingOfHearts
  • Love 3
18 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

No, because she wasn't killed by the Shadow. Rumple crushed her heart.

Well, thank goodness.  For a minute, I thought we might have a Black woman on this show.  Silly me!

• Love 2
5 hours ago, KingOfHearts said:

Exact quote: "Well, there wasn't enough left of him to find anything useful." She found Tamara's watch, but couldn't find anything on Greg.

So the Lost Boys must have torn his body apart, so he's dead. Great.

4 hours ago, Delphi said:

Saying that Regina made Owen evil is like saying Snow made Regina evil.

Regina held a well-intentioned ten-year-old's mistake against her and went on to inflict suffering on countless others who had nothing to do with it. Greg was responding to Regina's purposeful actions against his father, which gave him good reason to think that Storybrooke was an evil place that deserved to be destroyed.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Noneofyourbusiness said:

Greg was responding to Regina's purposeful actions against his father, which gave him good reason to think that Storybrooke was an evil place that deserved to be destroyed.

The problem is that Greg is now a grown adult who is knowingly willing to commit mass murder.  Also, he didn't try to do so because of his own negative feelings toward Storybrooke, he was following orders from "the Home Office" to destroy Storybrooke so that they can seize Henry, the only one who would be unaffected by the failsafe diamond.  I agree Regina had a hand in Greg going evil since she set his life down that course, but ultimately his actions are on him.

• Love 1
(edited)

^This.

I also don't think that a teenage Snow making more sound decisions than an at least 30 year old Mendel is the best argument. 

Edited by Delphi
(edited)
3 hours ago, Delphi said:

^This.

I also don't think that a teenage Snow making more sound decisions than an at least 30 year old Mendel is the best argument. 

Who mentioned teenage Snow or her sound decisions?

Edited by Noneofyourbusiness
(edited)

Getting back to this episode, I was wondering why we got to see so few townspeople during the new Curse.  For a "final" episode, that's not much of a goodbye to Storybrooke... the only person was Archie.  No Cursed versions of Granny, Grumpy, Blue, Gepetto, etc.  

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, Camera One said:

Getting back to this episode, I was wondering why we got to see so few townspeople during the new Curse.  For a "final" episode, that's not much of a goodbye to Storybrooke... the only person was Archie.  No Cursed versions of Granny, Grumpy, Blue, Gepetto, etc.  

And... I secretly hate Archie. So it was a no-win for me. I did like seeing Granny drive in with Ruby's car, though.

This episode would have been more fun if it had been just full of brief cameos of guest stars from the entire series.  Heck, they could all just be chatting in the castle of the Enchanted Forest as the darkness approached.  It would have been more interesting than the boring pointless stuff they were doing.  

One of the few parts I enjoyed was watching Nurse Rachet and the guy mopping the floor in the hospital.  

After seeing August twice this year, it was all the more egregious that he was absent for his BFF's doomsday.  

I know it's expensive and scheduling is difficult, but for the end of the show as we knew it, all they could dredge up was Jasmine and Aladdin?  They didn't even get to do anything fun.

• Love 3

You know, I said earlier that it was a perfectly lovely series finale, but the more I think about it, the less I think it was lovely at all. So many of you have outlined many of the reasons for its lack of loveliness, so I won't go into any of it, but ugh! I'm mad.

And I can't even think about next season, or I'll be even madder, because then I have to think about why Hook will be doing whatever he'll be doing without Emma. And I have a terrible feeling that I will not like the explanation.

• Love 6

This episode would have been more fun if it had been just full of brief cameos of guest stars from the entire series

As much as I hate the last season of Lost, it got the finale right in this respect. It was very satisfying to see all the old characters again.

• Love 4
(edited)

There hasn't been much talk about Tiger Lily.  Didn't everyone love seeing her again in the finale?  It's nice to know that A&E are interested in explaining the fairy mythology further in the new season (snerk).  Has she told Lucy or Elder Henry they're going to die yet?

Edited by Camera One
  • Love 2

I actually loved it. It was the first time I've really enjoyed this show in a long time, and I think it was a perfect series finale (at least the series as we've known it). My only complaint is Henry being Emma's TLK instead of Hook, but it's clear I am not the only one who feels that way!

I can't stand Regina, especially not two of her, so I absolutely loved Zelena's "Well that was disappointing" when the Evil Queen showed up.

Loved everything with Hook, especially the callback to his start with Emma on the beanstalk. Snow and Charming were sweet and interesting again for the first time in awhile. Loved Rumple being central to the ending, killing the Black Fairy, and the final line in the book including both him and Emma. I may have inadvertently teared up when the Beauty and the Beast music started playing and Rumbelle danced even though they've been an awful couple for many seasons now. The final montage really got me with all the realms and everybody coming together, although I'm glad others seem to have also picked up on the Last Supper vibe of that tableau (what the hell?).

The best thing about a reboot season is that they've finally recast Henry.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jade.black said:

The final montage really got me with all the realms and everybody coming together, although I'm glad others seem to have also picked up on the Last Supper vibe of that tableau (what the hell?).

The best thing about a reboot season is that they've finally recast Henry.

And I have to say, they did a bang-up job of it, too.  The actor playing adult Henry really looks the way I would expect Jared Gilmore to look in his late 20s/early 30s.

I finally just got around to watching the finale, and I admit, the montage of everyone's happy ending (including the Evil Queen's and Rumpbelle's) got me right in the feels.  By the way, was that arrow with the ring and the note attached to it meant to be Robin's way of proposing to the Evil Queen?

And I have to think that that staging of the tableau was no accident.  Personally, it didn't bother me at all.

While I seriously can't see this show going beyond Season 7, I'll hang around for The Next Generation version of OUAT that we've got coming up. Who knows?  It might actually be fun.

(edited)

To the surprise of no one, Adam confirmed on Twitter that the final scene at Granny's intentionally mirrored the Last Supper. My question is...why? I get that Emma is the saviour, but why would they want to parallel the Last Supper? Admittedly, I'm a bit rusty when it comes to religious studies, but the Last Supper took place the night before the crucifixion. So how is that a good fit for what's supposed to be Emma's happy ending? Am I missing something? It just seems out of place and vaguely ominous.

On another note, I don't think I've taken time yet to complain that Rumple got a happily ever after despite the fact that he never really changed. At the very least, they could have given him a TLK with Belle or his son to show that he's finally willing to give up his power for love. But I guess that would mean he wouldn't get to continue being the Dark One for the reboot, and the writers can't have that. They're as dependent on Rumple's magic as Rumple is.

Edited by Katherine
  • Love 8