Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E22: Army of One

• Start Topic

Second to last episode of the season; the season finale airs next week:

A live video is streamed online showcasing a tortured man being beaten and burned alive. Upon further investigation, the victim's identity is traced back to that of a man who had been previously locked up for statutory rape. When another attack of a similar nature occurs, Intelligence finds a connection between the crimes, suspected pedophiles, and group named the Perv Hunters. Meanwhile, Lindsay runs into a few bumps in the road - both personally and professionally.

There aren't many more horrific ways to die than immolation with gasoline.

Is this Bunny's exit? With all the drama they've had with the Bunny-Erin-Hank Voight triangle I think she'll still be around next season.

Good idea to put Erin and Jay in different cars. Heck the show already had one fiasco with two involved cops in the same car.

What Erin did to the suspect went beyond the Constitution, but the Intelligence Unit has done worse.

• Love 2
(edited)

I heart Bunny's character soooo much. "We might be leaving Chicago...." Ha!

Plus I love we did not have Dr Charles from Med stepping in to do a psych eval on the suspect, but Nora Dunn instead. The crossovers can be very distracting imo.

Edited by MakeMeLaugh
(edited)

Wow I didn't think Erin had it in her, I mean she has her what I like to call "Voight moments" but damn ... I wonder if this means Erin is going to quit CPD I also wonder if Hank leave somehow and maybe Jason might leave (I hope not I like Hank  and yes I admit I love Hank and Erin's relationship. I don't know what to think about Haley she's just kind of there

Edited by Tvfanatic1
forgot words
  • Love 2
(edited)

Eh, what the hell was that? Jay's got placed in the dog-house and I have no idea why (I don't care about deleted scenes etc. - the plot is what makes it on-screen). In the meantime all drama revolves around Erin and it gets so bad that her new partner who knows nothing about her offers her assistance for whatever crisis she's in. And as if Boonie's not enough we get the insta-drama about her childhood friend (a story we never heard before) to justify whatever she's going to do next (and while Jay gets threatened with dismissal for simply asking a question, Erin just gets a fatherly reminder that Voight is with her no matter what) - that's 50 shades of Gaby right here. Couldn't any of the other cops have gotten this plot - one who's not plot-saved from any repercussions by being Voight's surrogate daughter?

And why exactly did the Chief show up at exactly the right moment? Does he know by now that as soon as intelligence makes an arrest torture will be the next step? And if anyone is interested in what happens in rl in a scenario similar to the one here google 'Daschner case'.

I can't believe I'm typing this but Ruzek saved the episode by dealing with '14 Words'-ass****.

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 1

This episode was pretty intense, and honestly, I didn't see that coming from Lindsay. Jay never would have let her do that so maybe Voight needs to be blamed for a very small part. Also, I thought Jay was the one with the personal history with pedophiles, not Erin. Bizarre all around. 

At least Jay realized he blew it. So they'll get back together? Who knows. But I hope so. 

Atwater stole the show again. He remained calm and dealt with that white supremacist so well. Ruzek played a good side kick, but Atwater was awesome. 

The finale looks intense. Can't wait!

• Love 1
(edited)
8 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

This episode was pretty intense, and honestly, I didn't see that coming from Lindsay. Jay never would have let her do that so maybe Voight needs to be blamed for a very small part. Also, I thought Jay was the one with the personal history with pedophiles, not Erin. Bizarre all around. 

At least Jay realized he blew it. So they'll get back together? Who knows. But I hope so. 

Atwater stole the show again. He remained calm and dealt with that white supremacist so well. Ruzek played a good side kick, but Atwater was awesome. 

The finale looks intense. Can't wait!

They both do of sorts. Erin's half-brother Teddy got dragged into a pedophile ring. They dealt with it during the first (?) SVU crossover.

But I think they established more of a history with Jay on the show. I guess, they didn't think this story could work with Jay? (Or maybe the rumors you mentioned in the media thread are true?)

Edited by CheshireCat

The sooner they get rid of all this Erin nonsense the better. So now suddenly she has some random kid that went missing years ago that she suddenly can't let go of & then runs off the rails again....enough already. If anyone was going to have an issue with a pedophile it should have been Jay, but no poor Erin.

I am so glad she never brings her personal drama's to work......she didn't want Jay's advice so she tells him about it & then gets all huffy & Jay ends up getting shafted by Hank again. Then she sneaky rings her mother, covering her mouth like she's in highschool to get her to come into the District while they are in the middle of a case where people are literally dying at every turn, but no Erin how about you go & have a chit chat to mommy dearest.

And of course the new chick offers to quit Intelligence on her first day just because Erin is all miserable about Jay so that they can stare at each other across the bullpen....please. I really hope she drops Erin in it.

Let's hope there is some consequences to her appalling behaviour this time, I am not holding my breath though.

Ok so I was happy with the little "loukoumades" sequence as a Greek. And now we have two greek actors on the show soo I'm proud of them!

however, I didn't like that Jay lost his position because Erin was upset for a random reason and somehow that ended up being jay's fault. Kim was working with intelligence for years and yet wasn't allowed to move to Antonio's desk, but the new girl can take Jay's spot on her first day,even though she is also of a lower rank (while Kim and Ruzek are the same rank, even if Kim has been a patrol for longer). I'm a huge Erin fan but they keep punishing jay for things Erin is doing and I HATE it. Erin is the one who left the team twice, Erin is the one who keeps messing things up and yet she is untouchable. Jay has been nothing but loyal to the team and personally, if I was treated like that by my boss I would be following Antonio to wherever he was going.

and I still don't understand what is going on with linstead anyway. I was also a huge fan of Linstead but ever since the break?break up?whatever the hell this is, I just don't care anymore. I don't know why writers think that we like this kind of drama, but that's just a confusing mess that has no place in a crime show. Erin is becoming the Gabby of CPD.

i liked the case but I was wondering... 16 is the age of consent in many places and he was just 18/from my understanding, either a college freshman or a high school senior. Could he really be charged with statutory rape? Plus since the girlfriend still had feelings for him i don't why she accused him in the first place.

aaand who cares about Bunny again?

• Love 4
2 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Could he really be charged with statutory rape? Plus since the girlfriend still had feelings for him i don't why she accused him in the first place.

They didn't explicitly say it but he was charged with statutory rape because his girlfriend's parents were pissed that she was having sex with her black boyfriend. They may have wanted to do something earlier in the relationship but either couldn't think of anything or purposely waited until he was 18. As to why she went along with it, I think her parents abused her. She made a comment about thinking it was all over now (she must not know about the sex offender registry or thinks that he wouldn't be on it). She was definitely pressured into testifying against him so I think she grew up in an abusive, and super racist, home. She found some happiness with her boyfriend as a teenager, but it couldn't last since he's black. And her parents (and the town) are so racist that they don't just force her to break up with him but make sure he gets arrested for dating a white girl while black. The arresting officer claimed to just be following the law and that it was just an unfortunate situation but I think it was all a cover for the real reason. 

As for the law, I know it changes from state to state and some judges and prosecutors are stricter than others. The fact of their relationship, that he was probably 17 when it began, and age of consent laws should have worked in his favor. With a decent lawyer and a different jurisdiction the charges probably would have been thrown out. 

• Love 1
On 5/12/2017 at 8:14 PM, CheshireCat said:

Erin's half-brother Teddy got dragged into a pedophile ring. They dealt with it during the first (?) SVU crossover.

I totally forgot that!! IMO they would have done better to have Erin reference that, rather than some childhood friend we never heard about before and never will again.

As for Erin's attacking the pedophile...Voight has 54 charges of police brutality against him, yet after they initially brought it up, we see him back at work like nothing. Erin hits ONE guy and they drag her before a committee literally the moment her hand is back at her side? Huh.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I totally forgot that!! IMO they would have done better to have Erin reference that, rather than some childhood friend we never heard about before and never will again.

As for Erin's attacking the pedophile...Voight has 54 charges of police brutality against him, yet after they initially brought it up, we see him back at work like nothing. Erin hits ONE guy and they drag her before a committee literally the moment her hand is back at her side? Huh.

I think the show's direction has been to clean up or make over Hank a little bit anyway. It is hypocritical. But setting that aside if the leader of a unit has a brutality or corruption problem for job security reasons alone you don't tolerate it.  The cover up winds up being worse than the crime half time. She'll probably wind up suspended with a naughty notation in her file

And Hank was right to separate Erin from her partner. And Jay was wrong to casually comment/ joke about it with Hank. Personal relationship issues should have zero tolerance especially in a job with life and death decisions.

4 hours ago, misstwpherecool said:

I think the show's direction has been to clean up or make over Hank a little bit anyway. It is hypocritical. But setting that aside if the leader of a unit has a brutality or corruption problem for job security reasons alone you don't tolerate it.  The cover up winds up being worse than the crime half time. She'll probably wind up suspended with a naughty notation in her file

And Hank was right to separate Erin from her partner. And Jay was wrong to casually comment/ joke about it with Hank. Personal relationship issues should have zero tolerance especially in a job with life and death decisions.

Yeah but he is punishing Jay when the only reason why there is drama/tension between them is Erin. And he could have separated them without making Jay to move desks aka show everyone that something is up.

38 minutes ago, dreamcatcher said:

Yeah but he is punishing Jay when the only reason why there is drama/tension between them is Erin. And he could have separated them without making Jay to move desks aka show everyone that something is up.

Exactly - it takes two to tango. What makes this worse is the fact that the particular drama that caused Voight to order the team to split up had nothing to do with their relationship. It was Erin's own specific home-grown sort of drama aka Bonnie - and it could have happened with any partner. Give Greek some time and once she's met Bonnie she'll also get dragged into that toxic quagmire. Also not helping: that we still don't have a clear picture of what went down between Jay and Erin.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, MissLucas said:

Exactly - it takes two to tango. What makes this worse is the fact that the particular drama that caused Voight to order the team to split up had nothing to do with their relationship. It was Erin's own specific home-grown sort of drama aka Bonnie - and it could have happened with any partner. Give Greek some time and once she's met Bonnie she'll also get dragged into that toxic quagmire. Also not helping: that we still don't have a clear picture of what went down between Jay and Erin.

Exactly! It wasn't even his fault and it had nothing to do with their relationship. And she chose to confide in her work partner during the job so I can't see why Jay is the bad guy again.

and the writing to me seems so sloppy. The break up was complety random. Erin seemed 100% done and now they are kinda good but not together. Jay was all messed up and apparently is going to therapy but seems fine in general. And of course we won't further discuss this because #reasons. Aaand Erin was also 100000% done with her mother and then she gets sooo distracted by Bonnie just because she gave her a bracelet, to the point where she had to bring her at work. And again, she has "so much going on" even though she is creating her own problems at this point. Aaand don't forget that she reacted so badly to this case because of a random childhood "friend" she assumes was the victim of a pedophile and not because of her own brother. Not that this reaction should come from the guy who almost lost his job from his investment in a similar case. And how about the little scene where Bonnie talked about her sexy times with Voight right when Erin is looking for her bio dad?

Cpd to me is getting worse and worse with the personal drama aspect. If they can't handle it, they can leave these poor characters alone.

2 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Cpd to me is getting worse and worse with the personal drama aspect. If they can't handle it, they can leave these poor characters alone.

Lindsay's reaction to Bunny is actually exactly how someone like her would react to her mother (unless they have sought professional help). I've seen it and so much more. Lindsay knows Bunny is bad for her, and from that little glimpse from several seasons ago, we know that Lindsay took responsibility for her mother which tells me that Lindsay feels responsible for her mother's state. Quite common, too. But Bunny is still her mother. And since Lindsay has apparently never been to therapy, she still wants her mother's love and she wants to cling on to the hope that her mother has changed. Leaving town, as Lindsay said she was ready to do a few episodes ago, would be the best for her. Of course, none of us want that but if she's not ready to deal with it through therapy, the next best thing for her would be to start over somewhere without telling her mother where.

Now, the Jay drama is a whole other matter ;-)

6 hours ago, dreamcatcher said:

Exactly! It wasn't even his fault and it had nothing to do with their relationship. And she chose to confide in her work partner during the job so I can't see why Jay is the bad guy again.

and the writing to me seems so sloppy. The break up was complety random. Erin seemed 100% done and now they are kinda good but not together. Jay was all messed up and apparently is going to therapy but seems fine in general. And of course we won't further discuss this because #reasons. Aaand Erin was also 100000% done with her mother and then she gets sooo distracted by Bonnie just because she gave her a bracelet, to the point where she had to bring her at work. And again, she has "so much going on" even though she is creating her own problems at this point. Aaand don't forget that she reacted so badly to this case because of a random childhood "friend" she assumes was the victim of a pedophile and not because of her own brother. Not that this reaction should come from the guy who almost lost his job from his investment in a similar case. And how about the little scene where Bonnie talked about her sexy times with Voight right when Erin is looking for her bio dad?

This is an all too common problem with "procedural" shows...the personal almost always gets lost in the wash.  I agree, if you can't commit to telling good, consistent personal stories don't bother....in shows like Chicago PD, Criminal Minds and I guess L&O SVU you don't have too....the case stories week to week should be enough to carry the show....I find poorly crafted and written personal lives stuff just massively distracting most of the time....pretty much the reason I stopped watching Criminal Minds this season....

• Love 3
7 hours ago, MakeMeLaugh said:

Who is Bonnie?

Bunny, i don't know why I decided to change her name :p

7 hours ago, CheshireCat said:

Lindsay's reaction to Bunny is actually exactly how someone like her would react to her mother (unless they have sought professional help). I've seen it and so much more. Lindsay knows Bunny is bad for her, and from that little glimpse from several seasons ago, we know that Lindsay took responsibility for her mother which tells me that Lindsay feels responsible for her mother's state. Quite common, too. But Bunny is still her mother. And since Lindsay has apparently never been to therapy, she still wants her mother's love and she wants to cling on to the hope that her mother has changed. Leaving town, as Lindsay said she was ready to do a few episodes ago, would be the best for her. Of course, none of us want that but if she's not ready to deal with it through therapy, the next best thing for her would be to start over somewhere without telling her mother where.

Now, the Jay drama is a whole other matter ;-)

For me it's not so much about whether it is realistic or not. Although i have to say that I don't want Lindsay to be that distracted by her and bringing her at her workplace. My issue is that they are bringing this up again and again and again without payoff. It seems like it's their go to storyline whenever they want Lindsay to have some issues. And yes ok it's a drama but that doesn't mean every single one of them has to be faced with something huge. Atwater is raising his siblings. Kim has to help out her sister after being brutally raped. Olinsky lost his marriage and then his daughter was killed aaand we still don't know if the other girl was his daughter or not. Erin is a total mess in general. Jay has ptsd. Voight lost his wife and his kid. Only Adam is relatively safe. If the show continues for two more years they will run out of tragic stories, they haven't left anything out.

• Love 2
(edited)

The whole Lindsay family drama was mildly interesting in season 1 when we were still getting to know all the characters......it's now season 4 & it's about time they kicked some dirt over this whole monotonous storyline and moved on.

It's time to take the shackles off the other characters.

Edited by Guildford
  • Love 5
On 5/11/2017 at 10:29 PM, viamber said:

Hey, what happened to the black Chief of Police, Crawley? I don't remember her being written out of the picture like Kim Burgess was. I miss her! 

I wonder about that too. This being TV, it's possible that actress has gone on to a new gig. But this episode and the finale emphasize that someone with that title is needed in the picture. They could give us an explanation, tell us who the new Chief is if she is really gone.

On 5/15/2017 at 8:22 PM, CheshireCat said:

And since Lindsay has apparently never been to therapy,

Actually, she HAS...we started the season with Lindsay going to see Dr. Charles. That was one of Voight's conditions for her getting her job back, remember?

Then, last week, when the female psychiatrist came in, Lindsay made reference to something the woman had told her "in a session" - indicating that Lindsay has also been a patient of hers.

On 5/13/2017 at 9:12 AM, dreamcatcher said:

i liked the case but I was wondering... 16 is the age of consent in many places and he was just 18/from my understanding, either a college freshman or a high school senior. Could he really be charged with statutory rape? Plus since the girlfriend still had feelings for him i don't why she accused him in the first place.

Yeah, that was total bullshit on a couple fronts.

1. Age of consent in IN is 16, so the girl wasn't even "eligible" for statutory. 
  2. "Indiana has a close-in-age exemption. A close in age exemption, also known as "Romeo and Juliet law", is designed to prevent the prosecution of underage couples who engage in consensual sex when both participants are significantly close in age to each other, and one or both are below the age of consent."[1]

I know 'cause I researched it in the 80's when my boyfriend and I were concerned we might fall under it briefly, but, thought still a minor, I was comfortably over the age of consent when he turned 18. :)