Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E20: City of Lost Children

• Start Topic

(edited)

He may be pretty to look at, but Mechad Brooks does nothing for me as far as his acting is concerned. He's so flat and monotone in his line delivery. I won't lie-I fast forwarded all his scenes with Marcus and at the end, when he's trying to get through to him.?

If Mon-El really believes that his dad committed suicide after he let him go with his blessing, then he's even more stupid than a box of rocks.

And I'm totally with @BkWurm1 when it comes to ascribing James's Jimmy's facial expressions when he sees Kara save the day or hearing how Kara was needed, to being all BUTTHURT and jealous. Though I did want to whack the would be rape victim for not being grateful to him for saving her ass. What made her think that he was about to hurt her? Him asking her if she was alright?!???I'll say this for my Classic Bollywood movies*, that even when the heroes or supporting characters are thieves or con men, when a woman is being attacked and they beat up the guy or men doing the attacking, she's always grateful and thanks them for their help.

At this point, I'm just sitting back and enjoying watching EVILLOIS! And hoping she and Jeremiah will have a scene.

Did other stuff happen?

And whatever happened to those Dominators who saw Mon in the Crossover and mumbled about how they needed to just watch him? These stoopid writers! This plot if invasion leading to the finale really needs Oliver, Barry and the Legends' help, but noooooo. Well, at least Supes will come to help. Right? Riiiiiight ????

And yay!!! For Cat!!! I want her to lay into some folks next week.

*I've been watching my favorite movies from the 60s-early 80s!??

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
(edited)
On 5/8/2017 at 11:22 PM, VCRTracking said:

There was that awful "Code of Honor" episode in the horrible first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I actually just watched "Code of Honor" earlier this week! One of my favorite guilty pleasure 1st season TNG eps because it's so bad it's good IMO!

"Then you will have no vaccine, no treaty and no Lt. Yar!"

It's sad that having watched probably hundreds if not thousands of hours of sci-fi, I can't come up with other alien races who were all African-American.

15 hours ago, JapMo said:

If my hunch is correct, your Greek synopsis hits close in some areas to what I think might happen at the end of the season.  I keep reading that Mon-El is going to the Phantom Zone, which if I remember my comic book reading as a kid, is a type of prison for the worst of the worst.  The murder of a king might be just cause to send someone to the PZ.  Mon-El might find out Rhea killed his father, and to keep her from going there, he confesses to it.  

In at least one incarnation of the comics, Mon-El gets poisoned by lead and sent to the Phantom Zone as a way to keep him alive until there's a cure.

In SG-verse, it's not entirely clear if there is a Phantom Zone projector or what's going on. But presumably if there is, it seems doubtful that it would be used to send Mon-El just for killing his mother.

14 hours ago, JapMo said:

I thought all the acting was great, but the very first scene with Kara and Lena...it just seemed false to me.  Like the writers were making fun of the fact that there's been all this talk that they have so much chemistry.  Too much 'we're friends, miss you', blah blah blah. Had to laugh that Lena said she would give all exclusives to Kara, then threw out a lot of technical terms that went right over her head.  Sure Lena...give all your new development announcements which you hope will lure in new investors to an inexperienced reporter that doesn't understand anything you do.   

First, I would say that Lena seems to care less about investments and more about relationships.  

Second, the motive to talk about the device isn't just about seeking investors.

But above all, it seems to me that if the project worked as conceived, she wouldn't need investors. A device that could literally teleport materials not just around the world, but to new galaxies? The applications are pretty broad and amazing. 

12 hours ago, statsgirl said:

I was thinking some more about the comparison between Mon El and James. All season James has been trying to find his way to being a hero because he believes at his core that he is responsible for making the world a better place but he just hasn't been able to find out how. Even when he puts on a suit and tries to fight crime, he fails.  Mon El, on the other hand, has zero sense of social responsibility or wanting to help people and only decides to help because he wants to mate with Kara.   Most of the time he still puts himself first.  But he's still in a  high role because he has super powers, through nothing he himself has done.

And there's Kara moving at rapid pace from having a crush on James last season to now telling him he's not good enough because he doesn't have super powers and getting into a relationship with Mon El.  It seems to me that the reason Kara is with Mon El is because he has powers like she does and she thinks she can make him a better person, not because of who the man is or even that she could trust him.

Why does Mon El succeed where James fails?  It's not from anything in his character. It's the sheer fact that on Earth, Mon El has super powers and that is what gives him everything he wants in contrast to James failing even though he's trying to do everything right, including bringing Lyra back because Winn wants her.

I think it makes the fact that the show cast an African-American as James even more ironic and interesting.  (Purely a coincidence, I'm sure.)  Because it emphasizes how something completely out of your control can make all the difference in how your life turns out no matter how good you are or how hard you work. 

For my money, Mon-El hasn't really done much heroing at all this season. He helped the folks escape from Slaver's Moon, and like Jimmy, he tried to deal with Live Wire and the Live Wirettes. But I'm struggling to think of much else. We haven't seen him patrolling or doing anything independent of Supergirl.

With Jimmy, we can point to a few things he did (solved the art theft with Winn's girlfriend, helped break up the high-tech crooks, stop the cop who was killing criminals who escaped justice) and assume that he was doing stuff to help out in Offscreenville.  

Why Mon-El "succeeds" and Jimmy "fails" is basically writer fiat. If the writers wanted to, they could have made Guardian work such that he was more of an upbeat version of that character from the comics and less a poor man's Batman. If the writers wanted to, they could make Mon-El even less of a hero than he already is.

10 hours ago, statsgirl said:

James' arc this season, such as it is, has been about him aiming and falling short.  Cat gave him Catco, and then Snapper wiped the floor with him.  James couldn't even make Snapper rehire Kara after he fired her.  After hanging out with Superman, Supergirl, Alex and even Winn who works at the DEO, James wants to make a difference fighting crime but fails.  Supergirl first mocks him and then when she finds out that he's the Guardian, tells him to stop because fighting crime is for people like her and Mon El who have superpowers. J'onn doesn't want him with the DEO.  Kara dropped him before they even have a real date saying she's not ready to be in a relationship and then gets into one with Mon El.  (This reminds me of Arrow s2 when Oliver told Felicity he couldn't be with someone he really cares about and then turns around and is in a relationship with Sara.)

In this episode, not only did James fail in the initial scene, J'onn twice very clearly gives him the message that this is a DEO job and the DEO doesn't want any help from James.  Even when James finds Marcus and takes him to the DEO, J'onn doesn't want him involved.  No matter what James does, there is no place for him.

I suspect James will be gone at the end of the season but I hope the show will at least give him a meaningful ending.

Jimmy didn't have Snapper "wipe the floor with him." To the extent that Jimmy and Snapper interacted, Jimmy put Snapper in his place. Jimmy is, after all, the publisher and outranks Snapper by quite a bit.

Jimmy could have made Snapper rehire Kara if he really wanted to. He could have fired Snapper if he wanted to. Why Jimmy didn't force the issue of rehiring Kara? Who knows? As far as I can remember, Kara never asked Jimmy to reinstate her. Maybe he agreed she should be fired, or maybe he wanted her to earn her way back lest Snapper be even saltier with her after being overruled or any number of other things.

9 hours ago, KirkB said:

This episode just reinforced for me what I thought back at the beginning of the season. The show has no real interest in CatCo without Cat around and no idea what to do with James. First they give him control of CatCo (which made no damn sense) in order to give him a reason to be onscreen, since Kara was a reporter there, but then spend most of their episodes at the DEO, LCorp, Kara's apartment, or just about anywhere but CatCo. Then they make him Guardian so he can feel relevant, yet only spend a minute or two with him in the suit before switching the focus to Mon-El, Lena, Rhea, or Alex, and whole episodes pass with no James sighting at all. For the life of me I don't understand why they didn't just make him a DEO agent, he has more experience with aliens than Winn, and they could save money on sets. I like Mehcad, but I didn't understand why they brought James into the show in the first place and I'm not sure too much would be lost (except Mehcad's paycheck), at this point, if he left.

It is a little odd that Marcus' mom tore up the square when she was reacting to the portal test, Marcus alone damn near broke CatCo in half, and yet a dozen of their people hanging out together don't seem to cause any damage at all.

That's...a lot of Daxamites. I mean, seriously? So the hedonistic party planet was able to wrangle up that many ships for that many refugees and yet the culturally and technologically advanced Kryptonians only had two little escape craft for Kal and Kara?

Making Jimmy a DEO agent could work. It made Winn way better, IMO. But so could making him a better Guardian, one who isn't insecure about his place in the scheme of things, one who inspires like Supergirl and others do. It's just a question of will. And for whatever reason, the writers don't have the will to make Jimmy work as a character.

The best fanwanking I have about the Phorians: The initial tests released, let's say a 3 on a scale of 1-10 of anions. Mama Marcus was affected, but apparently Marcus wasn't. For the second time around, the anions are up to a 5. By this time, Mama has sought out the help of some of her fellow Phorians and is able to chillax. Marcus, however, doesn't have the maturity or discipline to keep things under control. The third time the machineis fired up, the anions released are more like 8. So all the Phorians are affected, but the anions are no match for a Jimmy pep talk! So despite more stimuli to cause Phorians to lose control, the dozen Phorians are able to regain control.

There is an inherent difficulty in the most of the Superverse mythology that's not in the original. In the original, it didn't seem like the Kryptonians had mastered space travel, and Jor-El's rocket was experimental. In the modern version, it seems like Kryptonians had outposts, and traveled to other planets on the regular. So with that, it's pretty ridiculous to think that the survivors of Krypton's explosion were limited to Superman, Supergirl, the Phantom Zone residents, the Kandorians and a few animals. 

Edited by Chicago Redshirt
  • Love 1
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 1:53 AM, BkWurm1 said:

I am really sick of James's petty jealousy of Supergirl.  I've never seen someone so butthurt.  I HATE that expression but nothing else seems to express the sentiment better.  I also can't stand that he needed a full on pep talk in order to go talk to a scared kid.  

Also, explain the logic of not going to get the mother (J'onn saying it was too big a risk) when she would still be susceptible to the same weapon, thus being a much bigger threat.  (Also, why did only Marcus at CatCo cause a problem if his mom and a whole bunch of other aliens with the same power were right there nearby?)  Really hate the propping of James. Hero without a suit my ass.  Mechad didn't do badly, but it all felt so contrived. 

This. During those scenes all I could think about was this. What also bugs me is how James (and even Maggie) are just able to waltz right in to the DEO and are part of the secret government powwow's when dealing with, well anything. And again, why is Supergirl taking care of run of the mill hostage situations but not bothering with the thugs attacking young women in alley ways. I see James isn't above a little breaking and entering either.

After her first time with Mon-El (possibly first time ever, who knows?), Supergirl went on a rampage of do-gooding that included rescuing a kitten stuck in a tree. The implication was that was because of her post-coital glow. So we can assume that either she's still doing smaller-scale feats of heroism on the regular and we're just not being shown it, or Mon-El has stopped bringing his A-game in bed.

Also, thanks, writers, for the joke about Mon-El breaking Kara's toilet. Didn't really need that. 

Has there been a Danvers sister convo about Karamel? (I think that is what the shipper name is?)

(edited)

If I wasted any real mental energy on this show to ask a question like, "Can they make James more annoying?" my answer would now be, "Yes. Yes they can." 

Edited by AudienceofOne
Tenses are important
  • Love 1
(edited)

I agree with the others that say Rhea's choices are entirely her own because they are, and Rhea has made it more than clear by now that her son is simply a excuse for her to be an evil douchbag and nothing more. Besides, Rhea is nutty enough she probably would have led the Daxamites to conquer Earth sooner or later anyway just because the planet inconvenienced her even if Mon-El had perfectly to go with her back to Daxam right away.

James' arc explores the same problem that all Badass Normal superheroes have, that being in a world where superbeings that make humans look like ants exist and are everywhere, what use do even normal humans with some skills and gadgets have? I took his pain over the nearly raped girl's reaction and his general helplessness during the first telepathic alien rampage and general surliness afterwards to simply be the result of both of these incidents really hitting home to him how generally useless and helpless he is against anything but random human muggers and even at that he generates fear instead of hope. Marcus was the first time James really had the opportunity to really inspire someone both as a hero and as himself.

This is symptomatic of the issue with James' character and the reason he's been disappearing for several episodes at a time, that being that he really doesn't have much of a role since every other character fills it just as well or even better, especially when it comes to being a superhero. All sidekicks, sideheroes, whatever you want to call them need to be able to do things that the main hero can't, and while J'onn can read minds and shapeshift, Alex can investigate as a DEO agent and lead the other agents while providing Kara moral support, Winn is the uberhacker extraordinaire, and Maggie can bring in law enforcement, there's nothing James can do as a superhero Kara can't do better. Since Catco has been all but a nonentity this season James doesn't have anything to do but be Guardian, and since the vast majority of each episode is about threats that can bring down Supergirl he can't really do much. Winn had the same exact problem during the first season where he didn't have anything to do but say something silly and snarky every once in a while, but once he put his hacking skills to use for the DEO Winn became an enjoyable if still occasionally somewhat annoying character. If they are going to keep James as Guardian going forward they need to start getting him some power armor or something to bring him up to Supergirl's level of durability and some sci-fi weaponry to let him be able to do more than just smash people with a shield and actually be able to harm something as durable as the opponents Supergirl faces, then they have to start pitting him against opponents that Supergirl would have trouble with and for some reason like Kryptonite can't take out herself.

On a side note, I don't really blame the nearly raped girl's reaction, after nearly being sexually assaulted she was freaking out and the only thing she could see was a man in a scary mask menacingly approaching her, even though that's not the impression James was trying to invoke. James could probably have been in his civvies holding a kitten and got the same reaction.

Edited by immortalfrieza
  • Love 4
On 5/10/2017 at 2:44 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

I see James isn't above a little breaking and entering either.

This was one of the most surprising things that I saw in the episode.  As a reporter and an adult, James had to know that rolling up in someone's living quarters, touching things and then probably leaving footprints for someone else to clean up was beyond illegal and tacky.  If he'd found anything worthwhile and tried to use it in a court case he would have been laughed out of his heroing suit.

How large was that transportation ring?  I knew it was large but I didn't think it had a diameter great enough for even a single spaceship.  Not only did a single spaceship slide through there but weren't fleets of Daxamite ships streaming through that hole?

On 5/12/2017 at 5:00 AM, SyncMaster said:

How large was that transportation ring?  I knew it was large but I didn't think it had a diameter great enough for even a single spaceship.  Not only did a single spaceship slide through there but weren't fleets of Daxamite ships streaming through that hole?

That transport ring was pretty big, but not multiple spaceship at the same time big -- when they started coming through I thought it looked like a series of one-man craft, not massive hovering over cities size ships.

• Love 1
On 5/10/2017 at 1:09 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

If Mon-El really believes that his dad committed suicide after he let him go with his blessing, then he's even more stupid than a box of rocks.

I don't think he believed that, but he just couldn't pull the trigger on his own mother.  I suspect he might end up killing her to save Kara.  Then, next season can be all about Kara tending to angsty Mon-El.

Olson's character is a casualty of the shift in focus to the DEO.  He made more sense as part of the cast if the series focus was on a millenial lifestyle complicated by being a superhero, instead of superheroics being the focus.  He is now so disconnected from Kara-as-Supergirl that it is hard to justify giving him a minor role that leads to them interacting.

Not to steal an idea from Arrow, but James running for mayor and making National City a sanctuary city for aliens would make him a target for threats that could allow for more reasonable interaction with Supergirl and the DEO.

4 minutes ago, RobertDeSneero said:

Not to steal an idea from Arrow, but James running for mayor and making National City a sanctuary city for aliens would make him a target for threats that could allow for more reasonable interaction with Supergirl and the DEO.

He's a media mogul and full-time Mayor who fights crime on the side! He's "Sleep-Deprivation Man!" No wonder he and Oliver make such crappy decisions

• Love 1
(edited)

OK, I missed the first few minutes of this so I didn't hear who the glowing eyed aliens were, but I did love John telling James "You need to find your calling!" - because if there's one thing that CEOs of Media Empires who moonlight as vigilantes have, it's copious free time for soul searching.

Have to say, I'm highly impressed with Lena's ability to manage a construction programme that probably rivalled the Apollo Programme in apparently mere weeks (incorporating previously unknown elements, no less). The Luthors certainly have the genius gene - I just hope her involvement with Queen Lois doesn't result in jail and the inevitable Face-Heel Turn. 

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:11 AM, stealinghome said:

This is all on Kara and the DEO. It won't happen, but I actually really would love, next season, for Kara and the DEO to face the legal consequences for basically causing an alien invasion of Earth because Kara couldn't stand to be separated from her boyfriend of 10 minutes.

No, it's on Queen Lois. Let's not forget, after saying good bye to her son and agreeing to leave Earth, her first action was to stab her husband. Mon-El arguably is partially responsible for her actions (as Heir Apparent, he does have a duty to his planet to not run off with the first (Super) girl that takes his fancy), but even so, Queen Lois' actions are a massive over reaction - it would be like Britain threatening to nuke France because Prince Harry ran off with a French girl.

On ‎09‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:00 AM, Lantern7 said:

why couldn't Mon shoot Rhea in the foot?

That whole scene was bizarre, because it seemed to be suggesting there was absolutely no step between "Do nothing" and "Commit matricide." I kept wanting him to destroy the device in her hand so that he could double team her with John, but no, he just let her monologue!

Oh, and on the subject of monologuing, I was really hoping that Supergirl (with John and/or Mon-El) would burst onto the scene, saying, "We traced the call, [Bitch]!"

ETA: I did get a smile out of the glowing eyed aliens going out of control thanks to "Anions", because I couldn't help thinking that it was amazing they didn't freak out all the time. An anion is simply an atom that has gained an electron, so they would be set off by (eg.) vinegar (or any acid) - it wouldn't take a giant glowing gateway!

Edited by John Potts
On 5/9/2017 at 1:07 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Lena/Katie seems to just have that sex vibe going with just about anyone she's paired with, with the possible exception of Lillian.

I love Katie and think she has charisma to burn but I do think there was a vibe to the Lena/Rhea scenes that had a lot to do with the writing and staging choices (romantic dinners together?) than just Katie's chemistry with Teri Hatcher (though that is a thing.)

While I completely agree that Rhea is a monster, as I've said before I think Mon-El made the wrong ethical choice in not going with his people. He had a real chance to be a different kind of leader for the Daxamites, a society who have lost everything.

I refuse to accept that not wanting to be a dictator is the unethical choice. No matter how much better your dictatorship would eventually be when your psycho parents finally die.

I also have little time for the idea that the invasion is somehow Mon-El's fault. The Daxamites had a Queen and King. They didn't need Mon-El. He wouldn't have been a leader. He would have been a living symbol of monarchical continuity for a repressive regime. He chose not to be that. That's hardly wrong.

• Love 1

I refuse to accept that not wanting to be a dictator is the unethical choice. No matter how much better your dictatorship would eventually be when your psycho parents finally die.

I mean, isn't the idea that eventually you're not a dictator though? I thought the logical extension of where Mon-El was headed was democracy, or at least constitutional monarchy with a parliament. In his speech to his father, I don't know that he said "elections," but he definitely used keywords like choice and freedom and so forth.

6 minutes ago, stealinghome said:

I mean, isn't the idea that eventually you're not a dictator though? I thought the logical extension of where Mon-El was headed was democracy, or at least constitutional monarchy with a parliament. In his speech to his father, I don't know that he said "elections," but he definitely used keywords like choice and freedom and so forth.

So your argument is that it's unethical for Mon-El to refuse to go home, live a life of luxury at the expense of slaves for decades in the hope that eventually his parents will die and he can make Daxam a constitutional monarchy with a wave of his hand? The society doesn't even exist anymore. It's just a bunch of rootless people on a spaceship wandering around. I just don't get how all this is somehow Mon-El's fault because he decided he'd rather live on Earth.

• Love 1
36 minutes ago, AudienceofOne said:

So your argument is that it's unethical for Mon-El to refuse to go home, live a life of luxury at the expense of slaves for decades in the hope that eventually his parents will die and he can make Daxam a constitutional monarchy with a wave of his hand? The society doesn't even exist anymore. It's just a bunch of rootless people on a spaceship wandering around. I just don't get how all this is somehow Mon-El's fault because he decided he'd rather live on Earth.

Agreed. If the Daxamites themselves (not Rhea) really wanted to rebuild Daxam or colonize a New Daxam free of the likes of Rhea, no doubt Mon-El would consider it his duty to help them rebuild or colonize and to be their leader and teach by example the concepts of democracy and justice, and maybe he will do so AFTER Rhea has been defeated permanently.  But as long as she's there and still in power, there would be little point in Mon-El's leaving Earth to help with the rebuilding of Daxamite society, since Rhea would crush anything she saw as even remotely resembling rebellion.  Remember, this is the same woman who threatened to destroy a children's hospital (and many other similar facilities) if Lena and Mon-El refused to go through with the wedding -- and even if Lena thought for a minute that Rhea was bluffing, Mon-El knew for damn sure that she wasn't.  If she would stoop to murdering the sick and the injured, including young children, to get her way, there's no telling what she'd do to any able-bodied Daxamite who dared to oppose her -- and yes, I believe that would even include killing Mon-El just as she killed his father without even a trace of remorse.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Agreed. If the Daxamites themselves (not Rhea) really wanted to rebuild Daxam or colonize a New Daxam free of the likes of Rhea, no doubt Mon-El would consider it his duty to help them rebuild or colonize and to be their leader and teach by example the concepts of democracy and justice, and maybe he will do so AFTER Rhea has been defeated permanently.  But as long as she's there and still in power, there would be little point in Mon-El's leaving Earth to help with the rebuilding of Daxamite society, since Rhea would crush anything she saw as even remotely resembling rebellion.  Remember, this is the same woman who threatened to destroy a children's hospital (and many other similar facilities) if Lena and Mon-El refused to go through with the wedding -- and even if Lena thought for a minute that Rhea was bluffing, Mon-El knew for damn sure that she wasn't.  If she would stoop to murdering the sick and the injured, including young children, to get her way, there's no telling what she'd do to any able-bodied Daxamite who dared to oppose her -- and yes, I believe that would even include killing Mon-El just as she killed his father without even a trace of remorse.

And you would have thought that they wouldn't have waited for 30+ years to get around to founding this new colony ?  Are the Daxamites just lazy or a complete society of procrastinators ?

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

And you would have thought that they wouldn't have waited for 30+ years to get around to founding this new colony ?  Are the Daxamites just lazy or a complete society of procrastinators ?

Both.  There's a reason that the Kryptonians looked down on them as a bunch of irresponsible, hedonistic spoiled brats -- and Mon-El even admitted that much of that Daxamite reputation was not only true, but deserved.

• Love 3
On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:13 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

It's sad that having watched probably hundreds if not thousands of hours of sci-fi, I can't come up with other alien races who were all African-American.

Thus far, all three Martians we've seen this season have taken African-American forms, though that probably doesn't count.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 3:44 AM, Spaceman Spiff said:

This. During those scenes all I could think about was this. What also bugs me is how James (and even Maggie) are just able to waltz right in to the DEO and are part of the secret government powwow's when dealing with, well anything. And again, why is Supergirl taking care of run of the mill hostage situations but not bothering with the thugs attacking young women in alley ways. I see James isn't above a little breaking and entering either.

I can't speak much for why James is so readily allowed in, but I often fanwank Maggie's inclusion as being the DEO's tie/liaison to the goings-on at the NCPD, so in case they need to collaborate, she can be their go-to for that.

• Love 1
On 10.5.2017 at 1:45 PM, Chicago Redshirt said:

Has there been a Danvers sister convo about Karamel? (I think that is what the shipper name is?)

Well there was that conversation where Alex told Kara that Kara was probably suppressing her feelings for Mon-El and maybe should give him a chance. 

Edited by tofutan
  • Love 1