Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E08: Kailani & Sam

Kailani has fallen for Sam, her gay friend's online ex-boyfriend. Sam claims to love Kailani, but has been dodgy since she has tried to meet up with him. Nev and Max investigate Sam to help Kailani uncover what he is hiding.

Kailani is not only delusional, she's a terrible judge of men & she's desperate. I would love to know how many "boyfriends" she had before she got married. She married someone she knew was cheating, got divorced after 6 months while trying to have a relationship with Sam, & now, only two months after finding out she's been Catfished, she's already got another boyfriend. She's one of those girls who has to have a man at all times.

When Sam showed up, I kept waiting for Nev to ask him how he identified because I wasn't sure if he was male or female. When he admitted to being transgender, it made sense.

Edited by GaT
  • Love 4

I couldn't tell if Sam was male or female either, at first sight.

Kailani, girl. Make better choices. Don't marry someone who is cheating on you. Don't "date" someone your real-life friend tells you is fake. Don't jump right into a relationship after you get divorced AND split from your online boyfriend. If anyone needs a solid year to be single, it's a 23-year-old who has dealt with all this.

God help me, I laughed at Nev's "handle with care" joke.

• Love 3

I couldn't tell if Sam was male or female either, at first sight.

Kailani, girl. Make better choices. Don't marry someone who is cheating on you. Don't "date" someone your real-life friend tells you is fake. Don't jump right into a relationship after you get divorced AND split from your online boyfriend. If anyone needs a solid year to be single, it's a 23-year-old who has dealt with all this.

God help me, I laughed at Nev's "handle with care" joke.

Kailani needs either a strong female role model in her life or a therapist, or both. This sort of episode makes me sad. Both parties are crying out for love or attention in their own ways.

• Love 6

According to Uber's website, a ride from Monterey to Menifee is going to run about $400 each way. So we're supposed to believe Sam just hopped in an Uber and cruised down to see Kailani pre-emptively at her house Airbnb, which he somehow knew the location of from letters they had previously exchanged? Riiiight!

I totally figured Sam was going to turn out to be either the former Mr Kailani or Melvin. Poor Melvin seemed so innocent, but that would have made it a better twist.

• Love 1

Loved the way they amped up the drama (even by their usual standards): "Oh my God, even as we speak, Sam is in an Uber heading towards Kailani's house RIGHT NOW THIS VERY MINUTE!!!! We've got to get over there FIRST!!! Floor it! Oh, why doesn't this car have a siren?!?!". Cue the heart-pounding music and weird, shaky camera angles.

What was up with Kailani's batwing eyebrows and pounds of mascara? She looked like Priscilla Presley circa 1967.

• Love 3

I saw Sam's face and thought the catfish was finally, FINALLY going to be 4 little kids sitting on each other's shoulders wearing adult size clothes. Thanks for letting me down again, Catfish.

On the upside, last Saturday's episode of 20/20 was basically a more competent, compelling, and longer episode of Catfish.

• Love 10
22 hours ago, AV8n said:

According to Uber's website, a ride from Monterey to Menifee is going to run about $400 each way. So we're supposed to believe Sam just hopped in an Uber and cruised down to see Kailani pre-emptively at her house Airbnb, which he somehow knew the location of from letters they had previously exchanged? Riiiight!

You could tell something was up when the guys recognized the car. How'd they do that? Uber tells the passenger what to look for, but it's otherwise just somebody's everyday vehicle with no markings, and they hadn't met Sam yet, so they couldn't go by who was in it. My theory is that the "Uber driver" was a member of the show's staff, and the company was happy with the fraud in return for the product placement.

BTW, Uber uses dynamic pricing, so a current quote is meaningless.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

You could tell something was up when the guys recognized the car. How'd they do that? Uber tells the passenger what to look for, but it's otherwise just somebody's everyday vehicle with no markings, and they hadn't met Sam yet, so they couldn't go by who was in it. My theory is that the "Uber driver" was a member of the show's staff, and the company was happy with the fraud in return for the product placement.

BTW, Uber uses dynamic pricing, so a current quote is meaningless.

I assumed they recognized the car by the big Uber sticker in the front windshield, but there are still all kinds of shenanigans with that situation. Also, when Sam said he knew he couldn't own up to who he was without their help- that made it obvious HE was the one who contacted the show. 

• Love 1
On 4/19/2017 at 8:55 PM, DiabLOL said:

To be fair, Kailani isn't exactly the person in her photos, either. 

Ok?? I was convinced that they were not one in the same. I understand gaining weight, but the features weren't even the same. The online pics showed full lips and real life Kailani had small, thinnish lips. Hmm....well, if it's true, she has mastered the art of photo retouching. I also guess that she was ok with someone first hitting up her male best friend? 

This is show is REALLY asking us to suspend disbelief, this season more than others.

Edited by kitten59
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, kitten59 said:

also guess that she was ok with someone first hitting up her male best friend? This is show is REALLY asking us to suspend disbelief, this season more than others.

I know, right? She went from her cheating, lying husband to a guy who went after her male friend first and was deemed a liar by him? How could this possibly not end well for her...

• Love 1
7 hours ago, kitten59 said:

Ok?? I was convinced that they were not one in the same. I understand gaining weight, but the features weren't even the same. The online pics showed full lips and real life Kailani had small, thinnish lips. Hmm....well, if it's true, she has mastered the art of photo retouching. I also guess that she was ok with someone first hitting up her male best friend? 

This is show is REALLY asking us to suspend disbelief, this season more than others.

Right? I totally don't get why someone would alter their online appearance if they're trying to meet someone. I'd be a thousand times more nervous once I was going to meet them irl. What's the point?

• Love 1
On 4/22/2017 at 3:01 AM, kitten59 said:

The original movie fascinated me and I loved it.  When it was made into a series I was thrilled.  The first season was good.  Catfishing now is a common occurrence and anyone who meets someone online that will not video chat or meet is OBVIOUSLY a cat fish.  Cut bait and move on. 

I really don't think they will get enough legitimate 'cases' for another season, this one is circling the drain. 

I'd really love if one of the catfishees was confronted with the fact that they typically look almost NOTHING like their photos.  While I get that it might not be as egregious as using photos of an entirely different person, let's cut it out with the "how dare you lie to me!" when your own photos shave off weight, clear up acne, enhance cheekbones, plump your lips, and turn your brown eyes blue.

• Love 3
On 4/21/2017 at 5:53 PM, GenL said:

I assumed they recognized the car by the big Uber sticker in the front windshield, but there are still all kinds of shenanigans with that situation.

I hadn't realized that Uber had changed it's sticker, or that any states allowed it to be put on the front windshield (apparently California requires it to be there).